Author Topic: Hunting me a Sheppard  (Read 294 times)

Offline Devona

• View Profile
    • Devona
Hunting me a Sheppard
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.geocities.ws/scwmaterial/Sheppard.mp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane

The afternoon was drawing to a close, and the sound of the shower running could be heard in the sleek hotel room reserved for a young woman who came from humble beginnings in the city of "N'Awlins," but thanks much in part to close friends and trainers who were at the very top of their game, she was fast becoming a wrestler to be reckoned with. As Devona, and she would admit that she perhaps would have been just as, if not more comfortable, staying in a Best Western, if they even had those in Australia. But Gabriel Stevens had taken brief control of the bookings for her tour dates, to help alleviate some of the pressure she was under. She had not taken on a manager, and although the Stevens were not her managers per se, it did not stop them from helping out and handing things from a business aspect.

One thing they insisted on, was a comfortable room for their student. Gabriel and Odette knew well that as a champion, Devona would be busy for much of the days during the tour, and a calm and comfortable place to rest and sleep was as important to a wrestler as just about anything else. And the rooms at the Hotel Grand Chancellor certainly fit that bill. Her own room was fresh and modern, with a single gray and white painting with minimal black accents being the lone decor on a bare, white wall which seemed to be the room's dominant color trait. The queen-sized bed itself was tightly drawn back with a tan bed spread, matching the curtains drawn over the balcony of her room which was six stories up over the city street below.

It had certainly been an eventful week since the arrival of Sin City Wrestling in the city of Brisbane, the first stop since the Superstars and Bombshells had concluded the New Zealand portion of the "Thunder From Down Under" tour and moved on to Australia itself. Devona herself had taken part in three Meet N' Greets, two here in the press room of this hotel, and one in the lobby of the location of Climax Control, the Brisbane Powerhouse. If truth be told, this location had Devona the most excited to compete in, even more so than some of the bigger named buildings and arenas that she had wrestled in since first arriving. For one, it would be her very first defense of the Bombshell Internet Championship; the last one against Mikah obviously didn't count as they never laid hands on one another. Mikah simply forfeited. And two, the Brisbane Powerhouse just had this atmosphere that had Devona's senses shifting into overdrive. Like one of those old fashioned theaters where plays and poetry readings would take place -- just on a much larger scale.

Some might think it an odd quality, to get excited over the location of a match, as much as the match itself, but to Devona, location was all-too important. It was the experience of something, some place new. And this location in particular had an old fashioned, rural charm to it. A place dedicated to the performing arts, and in a matter of days, to the world of professional wrestling.

But aside from the meeting of fans where she greeted young and old alike, posed for pictures and answered questions, she had also taken part in one radio interview, and three podcast interviews. That would be more the norm, as she was to understand it. Holding the Internet Championship, she was likely to do much of her publicity on the world wide web itself.

But it wasn't all business for the champion. Devona had taken some personal time for herself to visit a few of the attractions that Brisbane had to offer. She loved being outdoors, so the City Botanical Gardens was a must-see for her. The Queensland Gallery for modern Australian and Asian art was also a place that drew her interest. But first and foremost, she simply had to see Lone Pine Koala, a naturally landscaped koala sanctuary. I mean, come on! Who in their right state of mind would pass up the chance to hold and to cuddle one of those adorable little furry creatures?

Not Devona!

And although Devona did not attend the Lone Pine Koala with any company in particular, she was certainly not the only SCW star, male or female, who felt the desire to hold or feed or just merely observe these little critters.

The weather had been entirely pleasant, as the sky was bright blue but with clouds coursing their way, high up above, shielding all below from the rays of the sun until it peeked out, only to get covered again soon after. The forecast beforehand had called for rain, but luckily for all enjoying this time with the cuddly koalas, it had been held in check. And should their luck continue to hold out, the sky would not open up until well after they had called it a day and returned to their hotels.

The men and women who cared for these precious animals worked with the wrestlers who were brought in as something of a treat, thanks much to Mark Ward. And yes, the boss man had actually deigned to have a bit of fun himself and visit as well, and was even seen holding a koala in his arms while granting a brief interview.

And Devona herself? When asked by one of the volunteers if she would like to hold one, she practically squealed like one of those girls who other girls never wanted to squeal like! Devona was a tomboy in many regards, but she was also a woman, one who adored animals; the cuter, the better!

Volunteer: Ready?

Devona had her hands clasped in front of her lips, her body tense with excitement and adoration, as the older man approached her with the soft bundle of gray fur in his arms. He laughed merrily.

Volunteer: I'll take that as a yes.

He walked up and carefully shifted the koala over to Devona, and the small animal climbed into her arms as if its trust and instinct was a second nature directed towards the young woman, telling it all it needed to know for its own safety and self preservation. The koala's backside rested in the crook of her arms and one forepaw clutched her shoulder while the other seemed to run through her long, dark hair.

Devona: Oh my god, I am loving this!

The volunteer smiled all to himself, having seen this reaction so many times over the years, and it never did get old. Devona's face was lit with a bright and wide smile, but no more so than when she saw none other than Ben Jordan across the sanctuary with a camera aimed right in the direction of her and her new little friend.

The sound of the shower had now faded, and soon enough one of the primary excursions for Devona would soon come into being; a concert by the indie Australian pop band, Sheppard! Devona knew that she would be busy throughout this tour, especially when she held championship gold around her waist, but once she had learned that Sheppard was performing at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, all bets were officially off! She went into work overload, putting all her duties at the forefront of her "Must Do" list just so that she could clear her itinerary just enough. When speaking to one of her trainers over Skype, Gabriel had simply shook his head at the work load she was under being condensed as it was, just so she could see a concert by a band he had barely heard of.

That didn't stop him, however, from using a contact from his Australian wife to get their student a prime seat so as to enjoy herself. A backstage pass had also been hopeful, and Gabriel and Odette did not disappoint as the delivery guy had dropped it off at the hotel's front desk for her to pick up. Now if you think the koala made Devona squeal, the golden opportunity to meet George Sheppard, lead singer of the group, really blew her skirt up!

Figuratively speaking of course!

Did you buy that? Yeah, me neither.

The door to the hotel room's bathroom opened and a fresh cloud of steam gently drifted outward and evaporated into the room's air conditioned atmosphere. And out stepped Devona, clad in a pair of tight blue jeans and an off-the-shoulder top, and you may be surprised to discover this; but it was purple in color! No way! WAY! I know, right!? What a shocker that Devona had something purple on and -- oh, sorry. Got caught up in the moment and almost forgot that it wasn't that condescending witch Mikah that she was defending the Internet Championship against, but a relative but highly successful newcomer by the name of Valora Thomas. Devona's hair was still damp, and she immediately stood before the large mirror over the sink to begin blowing it dry and styling it modestly, perhaps a French braid or she'd just let it hang loose past her shoulders. It wasn't as if she were going to a party or on a date, she was attending a concert.

A concert where she might have a very good chance at meeting George Sheppard...

And that thought was enough to have her reach for the hairspray and begin to brush and style as quickly as she was able...

The sun had finally descended and the stars and moon were now peaking out from behind the ebony clouds that still drifted across the sky.

"When I lost it,
Yeah you held my hand,
But I tossed it,
Didn't understand,
You were waiting,
As I dove into the waterfall."

The crowd was lively but polite, many standing even at the forefront of the stage while Sheppard played their signature number one hit, "Geronimo." Devona herself was on her feet, she'd have to be or else she'd be unable to see the stage or anything happening on it. It was a personal pet peeve of hers, people standing and dancing and jumping around at a concert, but deep down she understood the how's and the why's. The music, the very energy of the performers on the stage was infectious and they wanted those who came to see them perform have a good time.

Devona imagined to a band, a seated crowd would be seen as something akin to a death sentence so she simply put up with it and even found herself dancing to the music as George, his sisters Amy and Emma, and band members Jay, Dean, Michael and Jared brought the house down so to speak with an unforgettable evening of music, teasing the fans and each other with light hearted antics, and just generally making each and every person that attended the concert feel for wanting more. As the concert continued, and the evening progressed, Devona was having the time of her life but knew deep down that it would have been even more fun had she had some company along for the fun of it.

She missed Beauty and Beast, her two best compadres, who were still home back in New Orleans, unable to make the journey to Australia to keep her company. Even one of their loud, boisterous battles known only between siblings would have been welcome (and highly entertaining) than just hanging out by herself, day in and day out. And as for her fellow SCWers....?

Two days ago...

Beast: So, ask someone to go with you.

Devona had curled her legs up beneath her as she relaxed back on the large, soft chair in her hotel, and she smiled at the face staring at her from the open chat window on her laptop. God love Skype when a girl was feeling a little lonely. It hadn't mattered to the big hearted 'Beast', whose heart matched his sheer, enormous physical stature, that it was past one a.m. in Louisiana, while it was just after five p.m. in Australia. He had gotten home late from his job and had seen a message from his "Didi" and immediately set to give her a call to see about cheering her up just a little.

Devona: I know I sound like a broken record B, but who am I supposed to ask?

She shrugged almost in a helpless gesture.

Devona: Despite how long I've been around SCW, I really don't know much of anyone. I guess I could have asked Ben Jordan or Sammi Marlowe. They always seem pretty friendly and welcoming, but I know Ben has enough on his plate handling the affairs of his group. He doesn't need a fifth wheel to entertain, monopolizing his time.

Beast: From what I've seen of Ben Jordan, or even Sam Marlowe, neither would see it as monopolizing any of their time.

Devona: I know. Ben's a sweety, and Sam was the first to welcome me backstage on my first show. I just don't want them to set aside anything they have to do for something they feel they ought to do.

Beast: Nobody's fault but your own if you feel that way. Can't always expect others to come to you. Sometimes you have to stop being a wallflower and throw out the invites yourself.

That was the thing about her big buddy; he was the sweetest, kindest giant who also told things like they were and did it in a way that he hurt nobody's feelings. Unless of course he was dealing with his brother, Beauty, and voicing displeasure at whatever latest antics the pretty boy sibling had caused or created. Then all bets were off and Beast went into overdrive with whatever came to mind.

Beast: What about those Londoners? They're on that tour with you. Figured since Gabriel and Odette trained all of you, it'd be only natural you'd hang out.

Devona: They always seem like they're working on other things when they're not wrestling or training. And they always seem so serious, especially the girls. Though Daniel is a pretty nice fellow. Couple of times he even saw me eating alone at the hotel restaurant and insisted I join his little group.

Beast: Doesn't seem like a bad guy. What about Amy and Jessie? Kate retired, didn't she?

Devona nodded.

Devona: Last I heard, yeah. But I don't think an indie pop concert would have been either of their idea of a good night out. Our music tastes clash worse than those plaid pajama pants you still have do with your momma's furniture.

Beast: Hey!

But to his credit, he started laughing, although she could tell he was trying to restrain himself from letting loose with one of his usual bellowing belly laughs. It was, after all, well past midnight back home. His momma had probably been in bed for a few hours, and Beauty -- well his sleep schedule fluctuated randomly by how much beauty sleep he thought he needed on any given evening.

Beast: Simple, Didi. You're not going to a jazz club or some heavy metal concert. You're going to see a pop group in concert. Wouldn't have hurt to have at least made the offer. Worst Amy and Jessie could have said is it's not their bag.

Devona sat back in the chair and folded her arms around herself.

Devona: I guess it's just that I felt after our six woman tag, and the Mean Girls disbanded, maybe they didn't have much of a reason to mingle with the rookie. I guess I could be wrong.

Beast: Never know unless you go out and make yourself known. But I am willing to bet that you are. You went to a club together, even helped that Salco girl get ready for that meet n' greet on that cruise. Doesn't sound like the sorts who use someone as a means to an end, at least to me.

Devona could not help but bring herself to smile. That was Beast for you, always thinking the best of everyone (Except for his brother), even if he never personally met them before. Beast the n used the brief interlude in their exchange to change the topic, giving his "little sister" some breathing room in her thought process.

Beast: So are you ready for your match against that Valora? Girl looks tough as hell, damn near kicked Evie's head clean off her shoulders.

Devona: I know. Evie hasn't really been making as much noise as usual, if any at all, since that. Kind of concerned for her, but all in all, I'm ready. Anxious, more like it. I was really looking forward to that rematch against Mikah and look what happened.

Beast shook his head.

Beast: Wasn't your fault, Didi. Mikah forfeited, probably couldn't handle the thought of you beating the bleach from her head a second time.

Devona couldn't help but smile. For some time she felt bad for what had happened that night, mainly because she knew that her family and friends back home had tuned in to hopefully see their girl retain her championship in another thrilling match with the now-former champion. Except, it was not to be and Mikah forfeited rather than face her a third time with the title on the line. Beast had been the first to assure her that nobody was upset or disappointed, save for the fact that they didn't get to see her compete. Even the normally self absorbed Beauty had made certain that they were fine, specially as, in his own words, she technically still retained the title. Even if it was by forfeit.

That was right about when Beast cuffed his brother upside the head.

Devona: I do kind of wish that your brother was up for a little chat.

That statement didn't get much of a response from Beast, as he simply stared at her through the chat window in a stony silence.

Devona: Hello!

She snapped her fingers in front of the laptop's screen, starting Beast back alert.

Beast: Oh, sorry! I thought you were making a funny! I don't think anybody has ever said they wanted to talk to him before.

Devona: **chuckles** I know you're just teasing, but the boy knows his MMA training. He almost kicked your head off that one time you dared him!

Beast's face turned sour.

Beast: I thought we swore never to speak of that again.

Devona smiled.

Devona: Sorry, but it is true. The chick I'm defending against is a supreme MMA talent, and I may know how to defend myself and know some MMA and kickboxing, I'm nowhere near your brother's level. he could easily go from amateur to pro if he wanted.

Beast: First thing the dumb ass would do is put a "no hitting his face" clause into the contract.

The light hearted (and probably true) banter from Beast did not deflect the fact that he didn't, or couldn't, deny her words on Beauty's hand to hand MMA skills.

Devona: Maybe tomorrow I'll call again. If he's not busy on another Skyrim campaign, I can hit him up.

Then in a remarkable thing called timing, the afore-mentioned Beauty walked past in the background of the call, passing behind by his brother. Beauty was wearing a t shirt and boxer briefs with lips all over them and a glass of water in hand. Most likely heading back to bed after rousing himself from his slumber to fetch a drink. But it was also the fact that he had on a facial mask and in mid-stride, pulled his sleep mask down over his eyes -- and promptly crashed into one of their momma's potted ferns.

Devona: Then again, maybe I should let him rest?

And of course, we are now back again to the current timeline, finding the fun-filled Sheppard concert had ended and now Devona was en route back to her hotel, with an expression of disappointment and melancholy on her otherwise lovely face. She had hailed a cab just outside of the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, and sat back and watched as the night life of Brisbane passed by.

Devona: Don't get me wrong, I couldn't have asked for a more fun evening to pass the time. Well, I could, and I suppose that is a reason why I'm here in this cab, going back to my hotel, and not backstage with Sheppard. Chatting and most likely flirting with George if I could manage to find my way past his protective sisters, but it wasn't meant to be.

She sighed and settled her purse in her lap.

Devona: No sooner did I manage to use that backstage pass and find my way back there with some help from a stagehand, than I was told that the band members had to leave immediately to board the first jet to fly to the United Kingdom for some appearances. Obviously I can't fault them for doing what they need to do for the success of their music, but daaaamn!

She playfully snapped her fingers.

Devona: I was this close to Georgie! Anyway...

She drew in a deep breath and exhaled.

Devona: This would be as good a time as any to get something off of my chest, and that would be what happened two weeks ago in Wellington, when I thought I was going to get to have my first defense of the Bombshell Internet Championship, only for Mikah to pull her cute little protest act and cause a forfeit win. Now some might be satisfied with that end result, and reason that a win is a win, and I'm still the champion. Granted, I am still the champion, but a win like that?

She shook her head.

Devona: To me that's no win, and I refuse to even dignify that as my first title defense. Which is why I'm not planning on wasting any more time on Mikah and all that hot air that she's been blowing up her own backside. God knows the girl will need a chiropractor to fix her alignment, bending over to manage that miracle, so I thought this time should be spent on someone more deserving of it. Someone who is still relatively new to SCW, but like myself, didn't let that stop her and rose through the ranks at a pretty impressive pace. Valora Thomas, the woman who I'm defending against this Sunday on Climax Control.

The cab pulled up outside of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, and a valet opened the rear door and allowed for Devona to step out. paying the driver and tipped him generously. She had learned that while on tour, tipping was not thought of as mandatory like it was in the United States. But it was accepted and even appreciated, so she did it anyway. She then headed inside of the hotel and soon found herself walking through the brightly lit lobby, and towards the elevators.

Devona: Valora even got her start, much the same way that I did; namely Veronica Taylor. And although it took me three matches to finally get a singles match with that witch, both of our encounters had the same end result; we beat Veronica, a former two-time Roulette and World Tag Team Champion. I was feeling pretty proud of myself when I was able to get a win over Veronica, because I had also managed to get some victories over such notable women like Amy Marshall and Mercedes Vargas, two Grand Slam Champions who have done it all. But when Valora got the win against Veronica, it really made me take notice, and maybe not for the reasons that you might think.

The elevator chimed and the doors slid open, allowing Devona to set foot inside with only two other hotel guests. Moments later, she was let off on her floor and entering her room. Shutting the door behind her and locking it, she dropped her purse onto the bedside stand and walked over to the window and drew aside the curtains to look outside, down into the night.

Devona: When Valora got that win, it showed she was just as capable as anybody. Just as capable as myself, really. Then after what happened last week, she really upped the stakes when she all but kicked Evie's head clean off her shoulders and got perhaps SCW's very first TKO victory!

She shook her head, biting her bottom lip.

Devona: Granted, it wasn't a pin fall, and she didn't force Evie to tap. Knocking her senseless just might have been the only way for her to get a win over Evie who has been steam rolling the competition ever since she first arrived. Her record isn't spotless, admittedly, but it is damn near close to perfection, and for a woman to just walk into Sin City Wrestling and get a win by knock out over a former World Champion and my own peer in Gabriel and Odette's training facility...? Can't help but face facts and admit that it would give cause for concern over any champion in the Bombshell division. And so here I am, right here and now, getting set to defend the Internet title against this force of nature that is Valora Thomas.

With her MMA background, Valora has to be seen as one of the most physically gifted AND imposing women on the roster, but she has one setback if I may be so bold;

Devona cast a sidelong glance into the camera.

Devona: She didn't have Gabriel and Odette Stevens as trainers. The Stevens have a wrestling dynasty that goes back to the very beginnings of SCW, and they helped to pass that experience and knowledge to yours truly. Granted, I know I have a long way to go to accomplish even half of what they did, but I'd like to think I'm on a nice start. On the flip side? Valora, chere, there is no doubting that you hold a distinctive edge when it comes to your MMA style, but the simple fact is that is 'almost' all you have going for you. I've watched you, I'd have been a fool not to! And I dare say at least ninety percent of your arsenal is still MMA based influence.

She shook her head.

Devona: This isn't MMA, chere. This is professional wrestling, where I do believe I have the edge. And although I can handle myself in a fight, and I sure as hell can use my boxing and kickboxing to my advantage, I know when not to use those tools as a crutch and to expand to what I had been taught by those who came before me. You have got a future ahead of you girl, a seriously bright one! I don't doubt for a moment that a championship will be around your waist and soon. But it won't be the Internet Championship this weekend.

Devona turned to the camera and winked.

Devona: And it won't be at my expense. So good luck girl. I wish you all the best between us. May the best woman win.

Devona smiled genuinely and held up two fingers as the camera closed out.
>

“Laissez les bon temps rouler.”</color>