Author Topic: Bored of the Ring  (Read 267 times)

Offline Despayre

• Beware the stare
    • View Profile
    • Despayre
Bored of the Ring
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
 <div align=center class="roster">
       <table width="80%" border="3"  cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1">
         <tr class="blacktext">
           <td width="32%"><div align="center" class="rules">Ted E. Bahr Productions
Proudly presents:
</div></td>
         </tr>
<tr class="bginput">
         <td>
"Bored of the Ring"
</td>
       </tr>
<tr class="bginput">
         <td>
>     width="650 height="100 quality="best">

The Cambridge Hotel was seen as something akin to an institution of sorts in Wellington, New Zealand. Built in the 19th century, it has been a mainstay throughout the years for travelers in the heart of Wellington. Located less than fifteen minutes from such local attractions as the Te Papa Tongarewa Museum and the beautiful Oriental Bay, it has been a fixture amongst locals and tourists, both whom will congregate to rest and relax, whether it be during a vacation or business purposes. The rustic, old world charm of the exterior resembled an old world factory more so than a hotel, but once you set foot inside, it became something more to those who were more familiar

"Really? The Cambridge Hotel?" The voice on the other end of the cell phone spoke up with a questioning tone. One that spoke of disbelief but not in a  critical nature behind it. "You can't be serious."

"Unfortunately, I am." Synn sighed as he passed through the largest room offered to those staying, sharing it with none other than his own son, Despayre -- and of course, the always constant companion to that rambunctious young man, Angel. "Wellington has never been on my list of 'must see' locations so I gave Joshua free reign to choose where he wanted to stay."

"Wow. I can't remember you ever staying in a hotel that didn't involve you in a suite with an office and Jacuzzi." The person on the other end chuckled. It was fast becoming quite clear to Synn, and much to his annoyance, that this person was having a bit of enjoyment at his expense. No, a lot, if truth were to be told. They continued, "I did a little googling when Despy texted me where you were staying. Seems to be more of a first rate hostel or dormitory than a hotel."

"That was about the same way that I summed it up when I got my first look at it." Synn agreed as he passed the aforementioned Despayre who was perched on his bed, cross legged, with Angel nestled comfortably in his lap while they had their eyes glued on the open laptop in front of them. Yes, I said 'they'. When one is referencing Despayre, you must always remember to include Angel in the picture. So use your imaginations people! Synn continued, "But I did tell him he could choose this time so here we are."

"Did he explain why he picked that place in particular?"

Synn refrained from chuckling outwardly at the logic as he whispered into the phone, "He said it looked like the inn in those Harry potter movies."

"Ah." The voice on the other end said, as if no other explanation need be given. And where Despayre was concerned, it did not.

Synn paused and got a closer look at what had his son so enraptured, and he should have guessed well enough; Despayre (and Angel) were busying themselves watching the epic feature film, the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. No real surprise there. The Peter Jackson films had been filmed for the most part right here in Wellington, and Despayre was a huge fan of the two trilogy series. To his son, watching these films in Wellington amounted to brushing up on local culture.

Synn gave a reassuring squeeze of his hand on Despayre's slim shoulder, causing him to gaze for a moment up with adoration toward his dad. Synn then arrived at the glass sliding door that led to a small patio that over looked the city life down below, so that he could continue this conversation in private, and without disturbing his son's enjoyment of his movie.

Once outside, and with a final look in, he smirked as Despayre covered his mouth with both hands and gasped back in startled shock at something that had just occurred in the movie. A remarkable feat seeing as how he had seem each film in the series a considerable number of times and yet remained able to be surprised time and again. Only then did Synn turn his full attention back to his phone conversation, and this time not in as subdued a voice as before, but before he could say any ore, the voice on the other end beat him to it.

"So how is our boy? Really."

"Not as well as I would have hoped, Gabriel." Synn answered. Yes, the voice on the other end belonged unsurprisingly to not just the former two-time SCW World Champion, but also the staple member of the Seven Deadly Sins, Gabriel. A man that was seen as a friend and yes, a second son, to Synn himself, and as a big brother to Despayre himself who loved Gabriel like almost no other, save for Synn himself. With all of the many ways people got along, the Sins themselves, while controversial in nature, proved that people do not have to be blood in order to be family. Synn continued to say, "After the usual break period was over, he wasn't expecting to be booked on the first show after the cruise. He was actually hoping to be home awhile longer."

Gabriel asked, "He's not concerned about TNA, is he? Because Christ! The guy has talent but there's no chance in Hell he's going to take that belt from Despy."

"No," Synn replied. "If I'm to be truthful, I'm not sure Joshua knows who exactly Travis is any more than he remembered Simon Jones. What I would like to know is why in hell this man is receiving a championship match the show after he came out on the short end of the stick in another title match."

"Makes no damn sense." Gabriel agreed. "Probably a pity party. Though the real pity will be afterwards when Despy tears him apart. Reminds me of our days in AWA when they were making Despy defend that International title against absolute nobodies. Guys who just arrived or who flat out didn't deserve the title shot in the first place."

"I hope that it is not what this place is coming to." Synn grumbled, and by 'this place', he was obviously referring to their current place of employment; Sin City Wrestling.

"So what is it?" Gabriel asked from his own home in Despayre and Synn's own hometown of Las Vegas where he was holding his sleeping baby against his upper body, holding a bottle to his son's small mouth to feed him while he continued the conversation from the phone headset, a miracle for a new father who still kept in close contact with loved ones from around the world. "Come on now, don't be an arse. What's wrong with Despy? He never minded touring before. Matter of fact, he always loved seeing new places. What's changed?"

"Come on now, Gabriel." Synn reasoned as he drew one of the two patio chairs up toward the railing and had a seat so that he could continue this private chat while looking out at the descending night skyline of New Zealand. He went on, "You know Joshua almost as well as I do. You can see the signs as easily as myself. I think it's quite simple: he's growing bored with the business right now."

"Bored?" Gabriel responded with a hint of surprise. "How can Despy be getting bored? He's got his first singles gold since we were in AWA, and he's getting a right proper push. And it's about damn timed too, if you ask me."

"And I agree with you." Synn stated. "The problem is, Joshua does not. I think we all know how he feels about singles matches. He never enjoyed them. He never wanted to be involved in them. I thought once he started defending the Internet title on a more regular basis, he'd grow to change his mind but unfortunately..." he sighed.

And Gabriel finished the thought for him, and said, "Unfortunately, we misjudged him."

"It would appear so," Synn admitted. "And for that, it makes me feel as if I failed my own son."

Gabriel paused from removing the baby bottle from his son's lips and frowned while he asked, "Failed him? What the bloody he..." He stopped himself, casting a quick glance down at his baby, then fixed what he was about to say (and amazing thing to catch oneself at when one is a new parent), "heck, would make you think you failed him? You were only out to do what you thought best."

"I know." Synn sighed. "But Joshua told me, repeatedly, that he wasn't interested going down this path, and I pretty much pushed him along anyway."

"Has he said anything to you?" Gabriel asked as he slowly lowered his baby into the crib that was gifted to his new family by the Sins. He tucked the blue and yellow 'ducky' blanket around his child and watched as the small one slowly drifted into a peaceful slumber while he listened...

"Not so much." Synn replied. "But I can tell easily enough. Plus, I overheard one of his, shall we say, one-sided conversations, with Angel."

"And...?" Gabriel prodded.

Synn, despite his somber mood, stated, "Well I missed Angel's half of the conversation, but suffice to say, Joshua is unhappy. I overheard him use the word 'lonely'. It used to be more of a family endeavor, I guess you might say, but not so much any longer."

"What are you banging on about?" Gabriel asked. "You're his dad. That qualifies as family, doesn't it?"

"I'd like to think so, but I'm just the manager and trainer." Synn pointed out. "I'm outside of the ring while he's facing these people inside of the ring, and for the first time in recent memory, he has no support in his corner in the form of a partner."

"You could always come out of retirement." Gabriel stated, but the moment he said it, he knew it had been a mistake. Synn had retired years ago for physical and personal reasons both, and it was a sore spot for him that he was unable to set foot inside of the ring more regularly. Gabriel cleared his throat and said, "Sorry. More of a knee jerk reaction, Synn. Didn't mean..."

Synn interrupted him, stating, "I understand, Gabriel. No offense taken, so I will point out the obvious that you could more easily do the same."

"Ouch. Touche'." Gabriel winced.

"My point is..." Synn opted to cast aside that point of conversation and return to the immediate matter at hand. "First, you opted to leave tag team wrestling and then you retired in general. Rage had to step away for injuries and to take care of his brother. Big B had to leave for family business, and Shipman stepped away indefinitely. Joshua never did get to team with..."

"Step mom?" Gabriel chided his mentor, knowing full well the affectionate nickname Despayre had given Chris Shipman upon his return, based on the relationship the man had with Synn himself.

"Exactly." Synn agreed. "Four people he was used to at all times being around in one form or another, and suddenly here he is: going it alone, more or less. And he does not like it."

"Synn," Gabriel sighed as he quietly shut the door of his son's nursery behind him so as not to risk waking the baby so easily. He and O were getting little enough sleep as it was since the birth. "Are you trying to guilt me into returning?"

Synn answered, "Surprisingly, no. I figured I'd let Joshua handle that when he feels the need arise. But you asked me a question, and I answered you."

"Fair enough." Gabriel yielded. "Is all this why you've been making the extra effort to cheer him up when you hit New Zealand?"

"More or less." Synn conceded. At most times, Gabriel freely teased the man over how he often always gave Despayre whatever his heart desired, and coined the obvious 'whatever Despy wants, Despy gets' credo. He went on, "You know how much Joshua loves Tolkein and his work."

"That's putting it mildly." Gabriel chuckled, finding himself taking a brief walk down memory lane as he said, "I can remember him getting me to read him 'Lord of the Rings' when I was laid up with that knee injury a few years back. A captive audience he called it, despite I was the reader and he and Angel were the audience."

"Well someone was the captive in that case." Synn found himself smiling. "And I shudder to attempt counting the number of times he's sat through those movies..."

Gabriel jumped in, "I shudder to count how many times he conned all of us into watching them with him!"

"It's what he's doing now, as a matter of fact." Synn pointed out. "We spent all day today since morning on that Lord of the Rings tour."

Gabriel asked, "Did he have fun at least?"

The day planned for Despayre's enjoyment, and the hope to satiate his 'Lord of the Rings' fanaticism, started off early. Much earlier than Synn would have liked. An overly excited Despayre woke him up at the ungodly hour of just after seven in the morning so that their tour guide would be able to pick them up in front of the hotel at 8:30. The van that the tour guide picked the pair up in was small. Much too small for a man Synn's stature of 6'8" to be seated comfortably, and he found the eyes of four other tourists resting on him. Either they were unused to seeing someone so tall, or they recognized him and Despayre for who they were. Either way, one hard glance from Synn got them to turn aside, and not a word was said aloud between himself and the other tourists. Despayre did enough idle chatter for them both.

The guide, whose name was Jacob, issued a challenge immediately at the start of the tour as the van drove towards thee first destination; Mount Victoria...

Jacob said, "I like to think that I'm an expert on Tolkein trivia, so I am going to make you a deal. The first person who can ask me a trivia question on 'Lord of the Rings' that I can't answer, I'll refund what you paid for this tour."

The man seemed nice, but smug in the fact he believed none of them could ask him anything that he would not have an answer to. And to his own credit, he appeared to be right. Everyone in the van, with the exception of Synn, took him up on the challenge, and Jacob answered each and every querie. That was, until Despayre thought long and hard until he brought his hand up as if he were in school and asked Jacob, "What kind of creatures are the spawn of Ungoliant?"

Credit where it was due, Jacob was at a loss long enough to admit he did not know, and Despayre was quite pleased he had stumped the so-called "expert", even though later he had confided in his father that Angel came up with that one. (Oh and in case anyone was interested, the answer was giant spiders.)

Once they arrived on Mount Victoria and enjoyed a breath taking view that even the cynical Synn had to appreciate, Jacob started explaining what would come for the day's events and what they would and would not see.

Despayre brought his hand up again, "Will we see Peter Jackson's home?"

"I'm afraid not." Was the answer.

Despayre asked again, "Can we visit Weta Workshop?"

Jacob answered, "Unfortunately that is not allowed on the tour."

Despayre huffed and turned to give his father as good a withering glare as his innocent nature would allow and he grumbled, "Then what's the point of a tour if we don't get to see the good stuff?"

But Despayre's sour mood started to brighten as the tour group was then led to a forest which doubled in the original trilogy for certain shots, ones that Despayre was only to happy to point out to his dad in case he did not already have the movie memories seared into his brain.

"Oo! Oo! Looky!" Despayre grabbed Synn by the arm and pointed enthusiastically towards the hill side. "That's where Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin fell down the slope and almost hit a pile of meadow muffins!" The other tourists, and even their mutual guide, found amusement in how Despayre was best describing the scenes to his father, as he pulled again on his shirt sleeve and pointed just a number of steps away to a more infamous scene, one that gave Despayre (and Angel!) chills even now.

He exclaimed, "Oh see!? That's the spot where they had to hide from that Nazgul in that hole on the hill side!"

The tour went on as they were taken to locations where scenes for both Isengard and Rivendell were filmed, and Jacob offered them elf ears and swords in which to use to pose for pictures. Much to Despayre's chagrin, Synn passed on the opportunity, but Despayre had no qualms at all in donning the ears and posing with a sword in the same spot where Orlando Bloom had posed for publicity photos as the elf Legolas. Those snapshots were already well on their way to friends and family back in the states, as well as to SCW offices for a laugh or two. Especially when the recipients saw Angel taking his turn with the ears and sword!

The rest of the day went on, and even Synn found himself interested in how energetic and charismatic the tour guide was being in explaining many of the process of the making of those epic films. Synn was more so impressed at how his own son's mood brightened when the tour group found itself visiting Weta Studios, despite the fact they could not visit the previously mentioned Weta Workshop. Despayre was admittedly timid when they arrived at a special cafe where two of the employees were dressed remarkably as the villainous Orcs from the film series, so realistic that Despayre swore Angel almost leapt into action before Jacob explained they were just actors.

The weather had managed to turn somewhat disagreeable, but Jacob did not allow that to sour the mood of the day, and Synn silently thanked the man for that as even as the rain came down from the gray sky above, Despayre listened to everything the man said in rapture as his father slipped thee rain jacket over him.

The afternoon then moved on as they visited other locations in Wellington where scenes from the films were shot. Amongst them the Hutt River which doubled as the River Anduin, Harcourt Park  which served as the location for both the Gardens of Isengard as well as where the Orcs felled the trees. They saw a working quarry which originally was where Helms Deep and Minas Tirith was created. They even visited Kaitoke Regional Park, a thousand year old rainforest, which was the setting for Rivendell.

Then as the afternoon wore on and the hour of five struck, the tour was officially drawn to a close and Synn and Despayre were dropped off in front of the Cambridge Hotel, but not before two of the tourists, a couple, had asked for their autographs. Indeed they had recognized the father-son pair and wanted an extra memory to remember this day by.

Synn could hear thee smile in Gabriel's voice as he said, "Well, it sounds like my little buddy had himself one hell of a day."

The Inn Of The Dancing Teddy

The Dancing Teddy was a well-known inn in the land of Middle Earth, situated in the village of Bree. Named for the wee critters that worked tirelessly to fend off the murky fell beasts that swelled within the shadow realms, it was located at the very enter of the village square, in a place of honor for its namesake. Surrounded by a market square and many business stalls that sold goods, it was at the very height of the trade route, and as such, saw many a clientele that we might think only a part of myth and legend.

The inside was quaint, old fashioned and quite noisy. Those that came here did so to sleep and relax, and generally have a good time. They shared mugs of ale, imported from the mystical land of Cockney, and good food cooked by the very best. Seated amongst the many patrons and overnight guests were peoples such as Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, Teddy Bears, and yes, once you saw who pulled out a chair at the corner of the main hall, men.

Clad in a cloak and hood, the man known in forest legend as Despayre, and his miniature bodyguard, Angel, pulled up chairs and only minutes later, the serving wench placed down mugs of Cherry Coke and platters of bread and beef to enjoy. She moved on to the next table and the hero Despayre was forced to chastise his friend...

"Stop that! You can't loose at a woman there! It's uncivilized, and besides, we're guests!"

The two paused for the briefest of moments and ate while people watching (is it people watching when elves and dwarves are amongst the number?), when Despayre sighed, "I don't even know why we were asked here. All these folks seem nice to me. I..."

"Ahh! I am afraid that it is by my hand that you're here."

The deep, resonating voice caused Despayre to turn his head and watch as a rather tall and imposing figure made himself known. At least six foot eight, the robed man with long, gray hair drew out the third chair at their table and had a seat, allowing a passing wench to know he would have the same as they (and give Angel another excuse to sneak a peek, the dirty bugger!). Sitting at another's table without invitation?

"Rude..." Despayre murmured, but then started as the stranger drew his eyes to slits and his brow furrowed.

"It is by no accident that you are here, my young hero." The stranger spoke. "I have predicted that in only a few days time, you will find yourself on an epic adventure where gold will be at stake."

"Again?" Despayre huffed and shook his head. "Geez, I don't think it's fair for me to have another adventure so soon after my last one!"

He looked to his silent companion Angel for confirmation and nodded, "Yeah!"

"Why, whatever do you mean?" The stranger asked. "It is by the very nature of who you are, and what you have in your possession, that you will find yourself in this most epic of confrontations. It simply... is. Do you understand?"

Despayre nodded, "Nope!" Okay, maybe not.

The stranger sighed and shook his head. Gee, he sure was moody! He said in a hushed whisper, so as not to be overheard by prying ears, "In only two days the gold you have in your possession will be under threat by the Dark Lord..."

"Voldemort?" Despayre asked.

"Different fantasy." The stranger corrected. "No, this one is far younger, and only a hint of threat about him. he holds no qualms about doing battle before the eyes of many. In fact, one such as of his ilk feeds off such attention. He believes it makes him stronger. He thinks it will help him to overcome the hero and take away what is his."

"Me?" Despayre asks. "Who is this nefarious fiend!?"

"His name is not uttered lightly." The stranger said.

"Why? Is it filled with pure evil?"

"No. It just has a naughty word in it."

"Horrors!"

"Alright." The stranger, the wizard, the strange wizzer (ha!) said in hushed words. "His name is The Nefarious Arse. or, as those within my Order call him, TNA."

"You owe a quarter to the swear jar!"

"You asked his name!"

"That's besides the point. Quarter. NOW!"

The wizzer (snort) grumbled in mal discontent as he dug into the many folds of his robes until he procured a quarter and dropped it into Angel's outstretched paw. Only then was he allowed to continue, "TNA sees what you have, and like all that follow the path of darkness, he wishes to have it in his possession. This. Must. Not. Happen."

"For sure." Despayre nodded. "Cause it'll mean the end of the world, right!?"

"Well there's that." The wizzer nodded. "There's also the fact he'll bore everyone to tears with his speeches of grandeur. But the end of the world ranks right up there!"

Despayre nodded, "Yeah, because the gold belt is mine. It was put in my care after I defeated the two-faced villain Krys Hack. Ohhh I shudder at the memory of that battle!"

"Too bloody?" The wizzer asked.

"Too boring!" Despayre corrected him. "He made every excuse why he was going to lose! Even threw himself into the Fires of Mount Doom so he could say 'Oh I'm burned to a crisp! I can't fight! Wah wah wah!"

"Ah but TNA is not such an enemy!" The wizzer stated. "He sees what you have and thinks if he can wrest it from your possession, then he will be able to rule over one and all! He thinks himself to subjugate all the free peoples of our world once that gold belt is in his possession."

"I can't let that happen! Despayre pounded a closed fist onto the table, rattling their plates and mugs. "It'll be the end of the world as we know it if TNA comes out victorious!"

"I know." The wizzer said grimly. "Usually you have another at your side to fend off such attacks, but this time you face him alone. You must come out ahead or the end is night!"

"Don't you mean 'nigh'?" Despayre asked.

"No, I mean 'night'." The wizzer said. "Good night."

"Huh?"

"Joshua?" Synn shook his son gently by the shoulder, not wanting to awaken him too quickly or else he risk startling the lad and send him into a potentially unknown response due to his unstable mentality. The movie, 'An Unexpected Journey', had come to a close and Despayre's head had slumped forward, having fallen fast asleep due to his medicine.

Synn silently helped him remove his shoes, then removed his laptop and took to awakening him so he could get ready for bed.

"Hm?" Despayre stirred, then looked up at hi father with sleepy, dream filled eyes. "Is it time to attack Mordor already?"

"No," His bemused father answered. "Angel can lead that assault tomorrow. I just need you to wake up so you can get ready for bed."

"Oh." Despayre yawned. "`Kay."

He swung his legs over the side of the bed and started to stand so he could indeed get ready for bed when he blinked, then frowned, "Whaddya mean wake up so I can go to bed!?"</td>
       </tr>
</table>
</div>
>

"A teddy bear does not depend upon mechanics to give him the semblance of life. He is loved - and therefore he lives."