Author Topic: Teddy bears and their toys!  (Read 285 times)

Offline Despayre

• Beware the stare
    • View Profile
    • Despayre
Teddy bears and their toys!
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:52 PM »
 "I just wanted to thank you for arranging this little session for them." Synn said as he walked across the field, side by side with Colonel Kyle J. Kremer, the Commander of the 375th Air Mobility Wing of Scott Air Force Base.

The most formidable man that commanded over three thousand personnel on this very base kept a close watch as the pair walked, their eyes glancing over a field where several members of this base were engaged in a recreational game of soccer. Across the field from the game, some more troops were taking part in field exercises that kept them primed and healthy for the possible future and what might always lie ahead.

"It was my pleasure." The Colonel returned the good words with the leader of the stable known as the Seven Deadly Sins. "The promotion you work for is doing us a favor by holding a show here on base for the troops and their families. It was the least we could do in return, arranging a little recreation of our own for your son and his friend."

Synn nodded as someone on the field had scored a goal, earning their team a point and his teammates softly applauded as the players again separated and headed back to their respective spots to continue.

He said, "I figure it'll serve a dual purpose." The Colonel turned and his brow creased in curiosity toward Synn's meaning so he emphasized, "Neither of the men have set foot on a military base before. A tour was welcome. Arranging this little obstacle course for them will be fun for them both, but I think it'll also help serve to keep them in shape and be prepared for anything when it comes time for their match this coming weekend."

Colonel Kremer was not an old man. He was relatively young in his middle years, for such a post as he held. He smiled and said, "Well that is the point of an obstacle course. Especially ours. Keeps the men and women on their toes, I think. Things can be difficult, anything thrown at you, whether during war times or peace. I want our soldiers to be prepared for anything." He chuckled a bit beneath his breath. "I still wish you had taken us up on the offer to join your son and his partner for the course."

Synn answered, "I'm not the one competing this weekend."

"Still," The Colonel debated. "..You never know what life might throw your way."

"Maybe another time." Synn smirked. True the interest had been there to possibly see what he could manage in such a setting, if he could run the course successfully as each of these brave men and women did time and time again. Yet he felt it would be better served if he remained on the sidelines to observe and not distract Despayre, nor Big B, from being able to complete it on their own. Plus his own pride would have been severely bruised had he not been able. He added for the Colonel's benefit, "Besides, I've laid eyes on a few of those obstacles and I doubt I'd even fit through some of them."

The Colonel cast a sidelong glance at Synn who paused to watch some of the Air Force troops move along the field towards the wooded area. Kremer tilted his head to the side and even at his age, could smell a line if bullshit from a mile away. He had to be able to, given the number of recruits he dealt with each year. And when one was being let loose at this close distance?

"I've seen that young man, Bernard..." Col. Kremer started to say when Synn interrupted...

"Perhaps it would be best to simply refer to him as 'Big B'." Synn stated. "He doesn't respond well to his given name."

"Just this year I had a male recruit name of Francis." Kremer said matter-of-factly. "But I understand, and he is a guest."

As they started to continue on, moving past the troops playing soccer and another gathering seen moving into the forest to practice troop movements, they gazed further down the field where the aforementioned obstacle course lay over two plus acres of the base's natural land. It was designed for the training and weeding out of new recruits to train them in movements and obstacles that might perchance be encountered at times that were not so peaceful such as this. As they came closer, two familiar figures could be seen amidst the troops.

Despayre and Big B were each clad in attire that would be deemed more appropriate for being on the field as opposed to traditional civilian attire. Known as PTs, or 'Personal Training' uniforms, Despayre was wearing a white t shirt with a reflective Air Force logos on the upper left portion of the chest and across the back, blue pants with silver piping and reflective stripes, and white sneakers. Big B, due to his sheer muscle mass, was wearing one of his own comfortable, custom-made t shirts, but he was able to get a pair of the standard pants in his size and shoes. Of course, upon closer inspection, the familiar sight of Angel in Despayre's arms could now be seen, and as would be expected, Angel was wearing the more dominant uniform of an Air Force officer. Both Big B and Despayre (and Angel, always remember Angel!) listened attentively as the troop captain gave them instructions for running the obstacle course. The small number of troops around them watched with smiles on their faces, albeit stiff ones as they wished to uphold the strict traditions of this base despite the celebrity guests they were now hosting.

"They appear to be enjoying themselves somewhat." Synn said offhand, then corrected himself for Colonel Kremer's benefit: "Your troops, I mean. One can read their body language, if not their faces."

Col. Kremer said, "Well if I'm to be honest, there was a bit of a competition with the troops over who would get to help your boys with the course and give them the tour. A few of them mentioned that teddy bear your son is carrying."

"Ah." Synn nodded, unsurprised. "Of course." Certainly he wasn't surprised. Angel somehow continued t garner such fanfare over the years since his son first gained possession of 'him', but to date even Synn was unable to process how a teddy bear was able to rise in such fame, above even many of the SCW's top Superstars themselves.

"In the end," Kremer continued. "I ended up having them draw straws to see who would get to work with your men and who would have to go about the usual routines."

"Well, either way, your efforts are appreciated." Synn stated. "I shudder to think how Joshua would have reacted had I told him he wouldn't be allowed to run the course."

"Looking forward to it, was he?" The Colonel asked with a hint of a smile on his face.

"That is putting it mildly." Came the answer as they approached the troops, and Big B and Despayre himself.

Upon seeing his father approach, Despayre's face brightened with a beaming smile and he practically hopped in excitement over to greet his father. "Ready!" Came his call as he then drew himself rigid and saluted his dad, who played along and returned the respectful gesture. Despayre then turned and did the same for Kremer, but with a bit more excited force than he planned and accidentally 'karate chopped' his own forehead.

"Ow!" He yelped, rubbing the spot where he struck himself. "How do you guys do that without knocking yourselves silly?"

"With a lot less force." The Colonel stated with good humor. "Are you ready?"

"Ready, willing... and possibly able!" Despayre saluted him again, careful this time not to give himself a good whack in the forehead.

"Good man!" Colonel Kremer stated in a commanding tone. The officer then turned to a particular young man and nodded to him. "Roberts! Do you want to take the teddy bear..."

"His name is Angel." Despayre corrected the officer, drawing a few smiles from the troops, ones that were fastly subdued by their commanding officer's hard stare.

"My mistake." Colonel Kremer nodded. He then turned back to the young man and said, "Do you want to take Angel aside so these two can run the course?"

"Oh that's not necessary." Despayre declared, pulling Angel aside and away from the trooper's reach. "He's going to run it with us!"

"Oh?" Kremer asked with a frown. The Colonel looked to Synn who simply shrugged, all together too used to his son's quirks where the teddy bear was concerned. At that, Kremer looked at the young grappler and asked, "Are you certain? This obstacle course can be messy and rough."

Despayre nodded eagerly, "Oh Angel's counting on it! He hasta train too! He didn't become a hardened warrior by running a Navy course, you know!"

Much laughter was shared amidst the troops surrounding them, the good natured rib at the Navy that the Armed Forces would often indulge in against each other. Kremer nodded.

"Very well." He stated, suddenly all business. "Alright!" He barked, drawing all attention to him, only to have Despayre wheel around and shout at the top of his lungs...

"TEN HUT!!"

The troops, used to this command from their superiors, snapped to attention much to Despayre's delight. Colonel Kremer leaned over to the boy and whispered, "I wanted to do that."

"Sorry." Despayre mumbled timidly.</color>

"Well, well, well! Isn't this an interesting turn of events? Here I had thought that the Bosom Buddies would be compelled into a championship defense and instead, they are signed to an even more intriguing match; a six man tag team match, teaming with the top man in Sin City Wresting himself!"

"Imagine the thrill of the Heavyweight Champion, Drake Green, teaming with the Tag Team Champions! Drake has held the cherished gold since July, and has turned back each and every challenger that has come his way, their sights directed on that target that was painted on his back the very moment he put Gene Banton Junior's shoulders down for the count of three. And the combination of Big B and Despayre? Their reign started just this past May, and as of yesterday, marks a four month length in their reign. Thus far, not a single team has bested them, although admittedly Jeremiah and Sebastian Hardin came ever so close! Now, they find themselves opposite the ring against not only one of the top challengers for Drake's heavyweight title, but two men who would love nothing more than to walk away with a win over the Tag Team Champions, perhaps qualifying them for a future title opportunity."

"Sean Jackson has made a name for himself ever since he arrived on SCW's doorstep, and both gold and wanton destruction has come his way fro near and far. His victory over Jamie Dean and the resulting injury is evident enough of the depths this man will go to earn a win and rise again to the top. I can respect that, almost admire it, but I dare say I believe that the Mental Rapist's mind games this time around will be for naught. His eyes will be solely on one Drake Green, and his grand error in judgement will be believing that he will not be dealing with either Despayre or Big B personally inside of the ring."

"Now it is true that the Bosom Buddies will be promptly fending off the attempts of Dying Breed to best them in the ring, oh but Mister Jackson? If you think you can look past the combined efforts of the Tag Team Champion without consequences, then it is you who will be the victim of what you so enjoy inflicting upon others. For you see, so many at one time or another have tried to get me to allow Despayre a chance at the Heavyweight title. His most adamant supporter being none other than Gabriel himself. To date, I have not convinced Despayre to permit the title match once the tag gold is no longer around his waist. Oh but if he were to defeat a top challenger to the title, if he were to best say, you, in a match? Well then, anyone who might think Despayre capable of only tag team wrestling will have their beliefs shoved down their throats and washed away in the tears of their own embarrassment."

"Your mind games will not work this time around, Mister Jackson. Your tunnel vision will be your own undoing, and that of your team. I would so hate to be you once that bell rings, and you find you have only yourself to blame and explain the loss to those rather large and intimidating partners you find yourself saddled with on Sunday."</color>

The troops gathered in front of the line where Despayre and Big B (and Angel!) were standing, ready to run this obstacle course as quickly as they could, and finish together (again, hopefully!). Many of the troops rallied behind the Tag Team Champions of Sin City Wrestling, cheering in unison, "ARE YOU READY!?"

"Ready!" Despayre and Big B answered back enthusiastically.

"Are you READY!?" The troops chanted a second time!

"We're ready!" Came the champs response -- again.

And for a third time, the troops sounded off with, "Are you..."

"Oh for crying out loud!" Despayre called hotly. "How many times do we have to tell you guys!?"

"Joshua!"

Despayre turned his head to spot his dad on the sidelines with the Colonel.

"Hm?"

"I believe they're just trying to motivate you and B." Synn said.

"Ohhh!" Despayre nodded, then he faced the troops and smiled in a most goofy manner. "Sorry!"

"Ready!" Colonel Kremer called aloud, then signaled and a trooper blew a whistle and with a whoop of glee, Despayre and Big B (and Angel!) took off like shots towards the start of the obstacle course!...

Despayre easily reached the trench, roughly three feet deep, before Big B but he turned around and fidgeted with excitement as his partner and buddy caught up to him. Despayre then held Angel out to Big B's arms and the smaller man turned and jumped, landing on the other side but slipping just barely to one knee. he jumped back up and held his arms out and Big B tossed Angel to him. Only then did B frown, realizing that with his bulk, he wouldn't be able to jump the distance like his lighter partner had. (Yes! despite his lack of shall we say, wisdom, in his brain, even B could figure THAT out!) So instead Big B shimmied down into the trench, hurried over and climbed back out, Despayre grasping him by the arm to lend a hand, even though it wasn't needed.

Despayre and B jogged up to a row of hurdles set up in their paths, and Despayre leapt over them with ease, and perhaps surprising even himself, Big B's leg muscles allowed him to jump over them as well and join his partner as they raced along the course that was in the shape of a figure '8'.

A maze of calf high poles was next in their path, each pole with narrow space in between and Despayre hopped smoothly in between the posts, catching his foot but managing to remain upright and avoiding a tumble. Big B went about it more slowly, but admittedly more smoothly, his legs much larger than that of the average man that ran this course so the space between posts was even narrower for him than it would be for them. Tripping once, then twice, Big B fumed, his face flushed red with agitation and he promptly stomped hard down onto the posts, driving them into the ground and making it through.

Kremer ran a hand down along his jaw line and admitted, "Well, that is one way to get past the maze."

A wall came up in Despayre and Big B's path, one that was at least twice even B's height. A rope dangled down from the peak for the troops to use to scramble up to the top and then lower themselves down the other side. Despayre stood at the base with his neck craned all the way back to look up when he shook his head in the negative.

"Nuts to this!" He declared and casually walked around the wall, much to the laughter of the troops, and his father's own bemused smile.

Big B looked up to the top, then at the sight of his buddy's back vanishing around the side of the wall. He chewed his bottom lip, trying to decide, when he shrugged his shoulders and took the easy war around, following Despayre. No sooner did B hurry around to the other side of the wall then he came to a halt and asked, "Where's Angel?"

"He should be coming along..." Despayre glanced around the wall's edge, then by instinct looked up, shielding his eyes from the sun with his hand and huffed. ""You show off!" he called and B looked up to find Angel perched at the top of the wall.

"How did..." The Colonel watching, started to ask but Synn held up a hand to forestall the question.

"It's best not to try to figure it out Colonel."

Despayre held his arms out and the teddy bear promptly plopped down into them and Big B and Despayre (and Angel!) turned around and raced up the track, right for the next obstacle. They came upon a ditch filled with wet, watery mud and only able to be transversed by the use of a horizontal ladder that stretched across the muddy obstacle.

"Ohhh! How are we going to do this without Angel diving in!?" Despayre moaned. He looked at 'Bernie' and nodded, "Teddy bears love playing in the mud! I can't let go of him!"

Big B looked at the teddy bear, then at the muddy obstacle. he rubbed his chin, thinking -- no jokes now! He then quickly leaned down to whisper in Despayre's ear, and whatever he said, caused Despayre's youthful face to light up.

"Bernie! That's brilliant!"

Big B flinched back, a look of complete surprise and disbelief on his face. Nobody had ever said anything even REMOTELY close to those words to him before! (and with good reason we might add!) But rather than quibble over details, Big B jogged up to the brink of the mud filled trench and hopped down into it.

"What is he...?" Kremer started to ask, but the answer came in the form of Despayre hopping on his big buddy's wide shoulders and Despayre held Angel on his own as the 'three' maneuvered carefully across ... at least halfway, when B lost his footing and he, Despayre, and Angel all plummeted into the wet mud with a loud, watery splash! Totally and completely submerged in the wet mess, Despayre jumped up, spitting mud everywhere and flinging it around in misguided attempt to clean himself off, as B simply stood up and peeled his ruined t shirt off and threw it down.

Despayre held up the now mud caked teddy bear and scolded him, "You did that on purpose!"

With an audible sigh, Synn turned to the Colonel and he said, "Please tell me you have showers?"</color>

"Now I have to admit, this is a pairing that I have been very interested in seeing against the Tag Team Champions. Yes, I am referring to the members of the Dying Breed, namely Andrew Garcia and Ivan Darrell. It's a pity that you are not meeting Despayre and Big B under different circumstances, namely a match with the gold on the line, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers, can they? Your time will come, I'm certain, whether it be before R.O.A.R. earns another chance at the gold, or perhaps you'll jump ahead of them in the line of contention? Who knows? But I will tell you that I have kept a close watch, a very close watch, on the two of you. And with good reason."

"You see, I am very familiar with the man behind your success, namely Casey Williams. Oh yes, that name is quite the familiar one with any member of the Sins, particularly that of Despayre, and his first tag team partner, Gabriel. They have quite the long and colorful history, dating back to the days where Sinful Obsession reigned supreme over the ranks of the Asylum Wrestling Alliance, right to present day. Casey has been a most perpetual thorn in the side of the Sins, and if anyone could tell Ivan and Andrew the nature of the Sins inside of the ring, it would be him. But please gentlemen, don't let that bit of knowledge fool you into thinking you're going to walk all over the champions en route to a championship match down the line. You see, you think you have the knowledge in how Despayre thinks and acts inside of the ring, but you'd only be fooling yourself. Despayre is a youth, a young man of instinct that simply reacts. His ring style is one that I would dare you to try and break apart and study, because even the most knowledgeable of wrestling experts would be unable to decipher anything that he does once inside of that ring. Will you find yourself against one of the more unique aerial artists of our time? Perhaps. Then again, you might find him pulling the most unorthodox maneuvers out of his hat and leave you unable to figure out how to counter what you were not expecting. Then again, you just might do something to scare or piss him off and you'll find yourself backing an animal into a corner. An animal that will tear into you like it's namesake. Punching. Kicking. Biting! Who knows?"

"Ask Casey. Despayre is an enigma. One that can't be figured out or interpreted. And Big B? The man will simply steam roll right over you the moment you think you have him figured out."

"So cut your losses, Dying Breed. Perhaps it would be within your best interests to just leave the ring and let your partner suffer the consequences. Live and fight another day? After all, why prolong the inevitable?"</color>

"So I am going to assume you had a good time?" Synn asked as his freshly showered and changed son, Despayre, hopped over to him, a bundle of energy, and Big B joined him as the troops gathered both around them and some drifted behind.

Despayre's enthusiastic bouncing around was almost a downside to this whole program as he had secretly been hoping that this tour and obstacle course would tire this bundle of never ending energy out and let him rest up for the coming event this Sunday.

"Yes!" Despayre nodded with much enthusiasm. He looked at the Colonel who was standing there with Synn and saluted him. "Thanks!" The Colonel Kremer returned the salute, and Despayre spun around with a hop, saluting the men and women who had so eagerly competed to spend this time with the Tag Champions. Despayre saluted them too and they, as well, returned the sign of respect.

"Hey, Joshua." Synn frowned, noticing something was missing. "Where is that little friend of yours?"

"Bernie?" Despayre blinked. "He's right here silly! And he's hardly little, are ya?" He asked his B-I-G buddy and Big B shook his head 'no' in answer.

"No." Synn said. "I was referring to Angel. is he still in the base laundry, taking a ba... getting cleaned up?" He corrected himself.

"No." Despayre shook his head. "He finished that up really fast. Boy these Air Force laundryomats get teddy bears clean fast!"

"Then where is he?" Synn questioned.

"Over there playing with the troops." Despayre answered, jetting a thumb back over his shoulder. "One of the captains is letting him play with the rocket launcher."

"What!?" Synn went rigid immediately and stepped to the side to glare across the field where, true to Despayre's word, the troops, obvious fans of Angel's, had the teddy bear perched on a seat with the rocket launcher stretched out in front of it. They had Angel posed just right so it looked as if the bear was peeking through the lens of the launcher, ready to fire, and they were taking candid photos and 'selfies' with the bear.

Synn looked at Kremer and asked, "Is that safe? I mean, should they...?"

"It's fine." The Colonel stated. "It's not live ammunition. Just a shell. Besides, it's just a model. The safety is on and I personally..."

Anything else the Colonel said was quickly silenced, drowned out by the shrieking noise of the rocket launcher going off and the 'ammo' streaking up into the sky and vanishing into the horizon.

Everyone on the ground was stunned into silence. The troops were frozen on the spot, none of them having even touched the trigger for the launcher to go off! The Colonel was watching closely, able to attest to this! So how...?

"Angel..." Despayre called out in a 'shame on you' tone. "What did you do!?"

If you saw the smoldering ruins of what USED to be the rental car of Nick Jones a few miles off base, one might start to wonder!</color>
>

"A teddy bear does not depend upon mechanics to give him the semblance of life. He is loved - and therefore he lives."