Author Topic: MASQUE (c) v AMBER RYAN - World title - Last Bombshell Standing  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Christian Underwood

• TAFKATPF aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Pink Flamingo
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Christian Underwood
MASQUE (c) v AMBER RYAN - World title - Last Bombshell Standing
« on: January 02, 2023, 06:24:47 AM »
Post your roleplays here by deadline. Good luck and have fun!

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
? Mae West

Offline DistortedAngel

• View Profile
    • Amber Ryan
... The End Of Absolution ...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 02:25:34 PM »
“It's a fairy tale. A children's story. Not a funny or silly one, but one with blood and death and horror, because that's fairy tales, too. A kid got swallowed by a whale. A little Pinocchio. A little Caliban. It's all there. And, you know, in a fairy tale, the maidens are never dead - not really. They're just sleeping.”
― Catherynne M. Valente, Radiance

Undisclosed Church
Phoenix, AZ
8:06am

Suburbs always did religion differently.

Something oddly homegrown and small-minded, a collective of similarities that shunned anything that might represent an offbeat to the status quo. Heaven forbid that individuality might blossom under the watchful eye of an imposing version of omnipotence drawn straight from the most convenient allusions and hand-picked quotations that supported them.
Everyone knew everyone here, well enough to know when the quiet kid in the third grade got suspended for trying to lift a girls skirt- mostly because his parents didn’t show up on Sunday for three weeks waiting for an equally trite scandal to deflect from their awkwardly curious child… Well enough to know when someone changed cable providers and started a minor debate among the neighbourhood dads about channel to game ratios- never mind it was mostly because the prior cable man had been caught stealing underwear out of the laundry and no one wanted to be the first to admit that it had happened to them too.

Everyone knew everyone- a new face sparked interest as much as it did distrust. A territorialism waged between each quaint, off-white, sun beaten panel that enclosed the suburban house of God. Despite the trepidation of stepping through the door, 11 year old Amber had been to church before- a sleepover when she was younger had brought her to a Sunday mass in a cathedral that threatened to collapse under the weight of its own piety and age.
Back then, she’d been able to sit and play ignorant- mostly because she was- boasting jeans and a t-shirt next to her friends ‘frilly Sunday best’ however now she would have rather walked straight back out the door.

Morning light filtered unevenly through stained glass in mid repair, no doubt the consequence of an errant rock thrown by careless teenagers amounting wanton destruction to entertainment value- while gossamer threads of smoke trailing in curls off sticks of incense seemed to hang in the air like spiderwebs roughly torn from their thresholds. If she tried, she thought she might reach out and touch them- however knew that her hand would pass through as readily as the illusion that a gathering of straight-laced and over-opinionated suburbanites speaking telepathically through whichever Karen spoke loudest on the day.
Mr Russel, her ‘foster father’ of little more than a week, gave her a gentle squeeze on the shoulder to press her on and away from the curling wisps of incense that tangled around each other before dissipating into the musty atmosphere.

Reassurance briefly came in familiarity- teachers gave a flicker of recognition and mixed reactions. Some took their role in attendance far more seriously than others- pity and frustration mostly in varying scales and measures written in the brief flicker of an expression before their eyes seemed to automatically lock forward again. A sheepish boy a year up from Amber’s couldn’t even bring himself to glance in her direction, the outer edges of a sickly shiner more than enough to explain the huffy and disapproving chest puff that accompanied. Edges of Amber’s lip flickered into a brief smile, the memory of days prior and an attempted intimidation tactic seemed to only spurn the infuriated mother further.
She’d demanded expulsion, apparently she was one of the mothers who helped with bake sales, the school had given her two days detention and an insinuated ‘please don’t do that again, or else we’ll be a table full short of mediocre brownies in two weeks’.
A friend, or as close to what she had managed so far as making one, tried to give her a wave, however their parents immediately hushed them as though her growing reputation as a bad influence was somehow contagious to anyone with interpersonal decision making authority. Even the policeman, Officer Waterson, who’d become quickly acquainted with her erratic and angsty behaviour, managed a small, yet warm smile…

“Well- you are a new face, my child”

Kindly and slightly hunched in robes that dragged a little around his feet, Amber found herself somewhat off put by the forward friendliness of an otherwise terribly cosplayed cardinal. Leaning closer and examining through a pair of half moon spectacles, the pastor seemed almost enamoured by the idea that a new little lost sheep might become part of the ‘flock’.

“Amber, sweetheart, this is Pastor Grey… Pastor Grey leads the local Sunday mass as well as volunteering at the youth centre twice a week.”

Amber wasn't quite sure why any of that really mattered. People were selfless as much as they were selfish, no good deed went unpunished and many acts of altruism were simply attention seeking gestures or efforts to harbour good will among the masses. Mass must have looked alot better to the higher ups when everyone was there out of unspoken obligation cause the Pastor was doing what they were too unmotivated to do.
There was an unacknowledged pride that seemed to billow the words that fell from Mr Russel's mouth- as though he took an unspoken satisfaction in explaining such details. Perhaps Amber might have cared another time, but for now the musty nature of the stale air reminded her briefly of a distant aunt’s perfume that she recognised from a Christmas card once. They’d managed to spell her name wrong, while she had long since otherwise removed her name from significant memory.
Like old books unread, admired by the layers of dust that had caked on their surfaces, everything gave off an aura of age that could have easily been mistaken for laziness- it seemed almost ironic in a way perhaps, if Amber had understood the context- that the books that defined a perspective of life and creation, that spoke fervently about unconditional love and respect, that pulling on the omnipotent strings somehow justified everything slightly immoral simply cause it stated nothing about not being able to leave dog shit on the neighbour's property.

“It is a pleasure to meet you Amber, may our Lord’s light shine upon you…”

Bile rose in her throat slightly, acidic enough to warrant a crinkle in her nose but not so much that her distaste seemed overtly obvious, although unsure why, she simply smiled and slipped into the nearest empty space available. To think, Amber considered idly, as the uncomfortable pews forced her posture uncomfortably upright- that every Sunday a congregation of adults allowed themselves to be held beholden to a book orated from beyond an alter. A gruesome fairy tale dressed up and deemed important by age and the human belief being desperate to invest itself into something greater.
Faith was subjective, Amber believed in a great many things- however the idea that a greater being pulled their strings according to the fervour for which they believed their existence seemed a little far fetched even for an 11 year old. People devoted their lives to what they believed, wars were started on the basis that worshipping differently automatically made them wrong, that the simple idea of placing ones existence into the unseen hands of someone else somehow allowed them to take no further responsibility for their lives direction.

No, Amber believed in sunrises and sunsets, in a horizon that stretched beyond what the eye might comprehend, that cereal always tasted better on a Saturday morning when the cartoons were on. Tangible, simple things.
Real things. Things defined by the fact they could be experienced, that they could be found in hands not blessed by fucking tap water deemed holy.

Ideas of revelations and raptures were little more than the grown up versions of the folklore tales told to children to keep them in line- about the monsters under the bed and the strangers offering candy filled puppies in the back of windowless white vans. Believing in salvation was the equivalent of suggesting that Prince Charming was just waiting to be manifested into existence with enough prayer and standards manipulation through rose-coloured beer goggles.
Kingdoms of heaven sounded more like hell when hard pews and sickly smiles did little to hold a child's attention- paradise wasn’t an expanse above the clouds for those righteous to proclaim their rectitude in chorus, it was an arcade with unlimited quarters or a birthday pizza party that didn’t end in a fist fight and DUI charge.

In a moment, as she tried to straighten up uncomfortably, Amber found herself brought back to that first mass as a younger girl being asked by a disapproving helicopter Mom whether she believed in God. Swallowing the ache that was uncertainty of whether she wanted to believe, the sheepish nod still rattled around in her psyche- she’d have told that mother anything she wanted to hear if it meant being a part of something, hell she’d have admitted she might be Satan if it meant the side glances weren’t so prominently incredulous as they played in the backyard.
Today though, she quietly wished someone might ask- however suburbs bred a consistency that wouldn’t allow an uncomfortable question to be asked, whispers chained together by the occasional furrowed brow and pursed lip as the suggestion rested unsteadily on the tip of a tongue.

People held their opinions higher than their hand-chosen religious verses, living or dying by words proclaimed from a well-meaning place tainted by a subjective and narrow-minded world view through a lens barely adjusted since the late 1950’s.

No one in this room really believed in God, no more than they believed in the ideal version of whatever representation of faith happened to be the most convenient. Strangled by the noose of obligation they so willingly strung themselves up by hoping to impress everyone else doing the same thing…

Perhaps a rapture wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen here after all…

Imagine, if you will.

Waking up one day and being tired of paradise. Of being disillusioned by the fact you have everything you ever wanted.
Somehow, it's not good enough, it doesn’t satisfy you in all the ways it was supposed to. Instead of finding fulfilment, you’re left with a hollow that forces you to keep digging in search of a way to fill it.

Imagine, achieving everything you set out for and realising that it means almost nothing cause you didn’t know when to stop.

Maybe that's the thing that sets us apart from everyone else Abigayle, we really never knew how to stop or where this thing might end. You and I could have kept doing this forever- trading subtext barbs on social media, trading anecdotes about how the other is mere moments from crumbling into dust and all you need to do is turn that coal into a diamond. Press a little more, punch a little harder, speak a little louder cause the arena in the next state couldn’t quite hear you over your own fucking pretentiousness. We could keep killing each other over and over, never truly succeeding cause there was never that moment to set one of us over the edge- that singular trigger that we kept away from cause it would leave us inexcusably empty.

Seven years is a long time to hate someone. Longer to love them.
It's an eternity passing in the blink of an eye, the world is changing so fast around us and yet we feel like everyone is standing still…
I know this was my fault, I accepted the blame for all of this a long time ago- from the moment you walked back through SCW doors I took accountability for what I had wrought. I knew where this would end and yet I allowed it to happen anyway… More fool me, perhaps.

Except you didn’t hold up your end of things- did you?

I mean what you did was an achievement, impressive in more ways than even I might be willing to admit… Just not in the way you wanted.
For all you’d done, you’d turned around and everyone simply shrugged- you ‘slayed the dragon’ and rendered the greatest prize from its cold dead hands… and everyone shrugged. You did the seemingly impossible- and everyone moved on.
You wanted that undying respect for delivering on your words, like honesty in this industry gets you more than a boot stomping through the back of your head on its way to walking all over someone else's. You wanted credibility and it turned you into folklore, the kind they tell disobedient children about, the kind the bible had the world believed would tear them screaming from their beds and through the flaming gates of purgatory.

You wanted fear and got loathing, you wanted respect and got apathy. People stopped caring the moment you played your hand cause you weren’t a mystery anymore- everyone knows who the boogeyman is, but stops caring the moment they take a flashlight to bed with them.
Maybe if you’d just learned when to stop… when to quit digging in hopes that those diamonds might turn back to coal.
Let's be real blunt shall we, you had every chance to end this permanently and you fucking failed to go through with it, you left an empty threat hanging over the head of this industry and di your fucking damndest to cover it up with more pretentious nothing talk. Hell, maybe if you’d stopped seeking out raw nerves and electrifying them- you’d have succeeded.

No, you wanted me to come back cause you realized your fuck up Abigayle.

You got what you wanted- you took everything you could manage and it wasn’t nearly all it was cracked up to be. You didn’t have to come pressing my buttons, but you were worried I wouldn’t come back, deliberately goading and falsifying the illusion that there was anything left to strip from my bones. Silently pleading everything you uttered my name in disdain, you hoped I would hear you. Everytime I subtweeted your utter bullshit, you got that precious little endorphin hit that keeps you upright.
You told everyone you’d put me down for good, and the moment you did- you regretted it cause then there really was nothing left. You took from yourself the only thing that made you special…

How hard did you think you’d have to prod to get me crawling back, how hard were you praying that I might find my backbone between the couch cushions- driven by the kind of spite that travelling salesmen in caravans used to claim was in the snake oil jars they hocked. How far did you plan to go so your heart might beat a little harder, to deafen the dying rushes of blood between your ears.

I’ll be the first to admit I made a mistake with Avalon- one I can’t just fix with a few good words and a pat on the back. If she’s got sense she’ll never forgive me- but you couldn’t help but twist that dagger a little more. Rest assured though, I’ll make sure to get plenty of video of her using your fleshy sack of splintered bones as a kickboxing bag and make a fancy compilation for when I meet you in hell.
You nearly got young Cassiopeia- young and impressionable, another innocent soul tangled in a web she never saw until she was held beyond reproach, another flower girl names after the stars serving only to fulfil a whim you couldn’t satiate.

Mac was an interesting choice, can’t imagine what you thought would happen. That man is a fucking saint and pisses all over whatever you deem as piety, he married me you goddamn moron and knew better than anyone where those lines were. Bet that was a harsh blow, someone finally not caving to your whims cause you spoke pretty and coerced them with unpleasant truths… that man committed to a life of unpleasant truth, you never really stood a chance.

Terryl might have been the one that hit me hardest, I’ll admit. Maybe it's the fact you couldn’t allow sleeping dogs to lie, maybe it's a little jealousy that it took you crawling out from under a rock to draw him back from the shadows I scoured for years. Part of me wants to thank you, you can consider it in the form of letting him be the one to tear the rotted heart from your chest instead of me.
I heard he might get it taxidermied, I’d rather throw it into the Atlantic City sewers and let it take care of the rat population instead.

You tried to make this about everyone else- dragged person after person under your thrall, beneath the wheels of this out-of-control roller coaster we allowed this to become. Maybe they all deserve more than a pound of flesh from your back- but truthfully you don’t have nearly enough to give.
It's about ending something that should never have begun, fixing a mistake that escalated in ways I could never imagine- if I had known 6 and a half years ago that my decision would lead here, I’d have changed it in a heartbeat.
I can’t though, and you took the opportunity to remind me since you strolled back onto this mortal coil.

So allow me to remind you of some things, Abigayle.

About who the fuck I am…

I am Amber Ryan, and I’m not the same woman you crossed paths with 6 and a half years ago. I’m not the same girl chasing headlines and highlights, I’m no longer the woman obsessed with having the best match on any card cause that's automatic now. You might have been dominant since you walked through the door, but I’ve been doing it far longer and to such a level that you can’t even begin to comprehend what that might look like.
I held this company to ransom, I took their greatest prize and reinvented it when it was driven into the ground as a trinket passed early and often to the next motherfucker feeling a little more entitled than the last. I have given more than you could ever take from me, I’m the bitch on top for a reason and it's not cause I know how to suck a cock beneath the table when I eventually show up for my yearly once off obligatory curtain call.
It's my name that turns the skies sickeningly grey, I’m the flicker of flame that sets this place alight like a beacon in the miserable industry we scrape and fucking claw for- I am the hollow auditorium resonating with the voices of everyone who told me they’d be the one to put me down.

You are a shadow cast by my legacy, a phantom pain of a past life determined to ingrain itself in the bones of a dying breed. You are a story that is begging to be ended…
That's what we’ve become Abigayle, a story that desperately needs it's last chapter hastily scribbled in the blood we’re willing to shed to stain it's pages with our memory.
Maybe I gave you too much flourish to the chapters in between, maybe my hand got a little shaky on the quill when I tried to resist the urge to simply close the covers- but now, I’ve got a thousand words left to turn you into a bloody smear across these final pages.

We are a fitting fairytale that never was, a promised Rapture that even the Bible itself would be blushing at the absurdity of. There are no sunsets left to ride into, no prince to cradle you in their arms as the breath escapes your lungs on a frosty morning cause they gave up their swords to bolster ours.
There aren’t Hallmark cards made for the loss of people like us, there is no happy ending to stories that weren’t supposed to be written- just an ending.
Another unmarked hole in the ground, a blank stone and the memories no one will find the time to etch.

As ambiguous a life as you think you might have lived, Masque.

I promise your end will be far more unremarkable.”

Undisclosed Church
Somewhere in Southern California
11:42am

Calculated risks were only for two types of people.

Those who didn’t understand oxymorons and those who still believed there were only two kinds of people.

Amber wasn’t entirely sure which one of those she might classify under, only that neither felt quite right, as she removed her sunglasses and allowed her eyes to adjust to the atmospheric interior. Modernised versions of classic stained art lined the upper edges of bleached stone outer walls, she quietly wondered if the visages were bulletproof although hadn’t reached the level of temptation required to actively find out.
Wooden pews burnished to an unearthly shine caught the streaming sunlight, while the stitched leather cushioning reminded Amber of all the times she’d found her posture suffering for the sake of tradition.
If it weren’t for the religious symbology and heady aroma of burning incense mingling with overtly expensive leather, Amber might have been able to fool herself into believing this wasn’t just some gaudy Cali remodelled front for whatever ‘business ventures’ Reverend Alistair McCrae might have a personal stake in. Hell, if the Good Lord himself had hired professional decorators, Amber wasn’t sure that they could even come up with something like this…

“If you are looking for confession, Mrs Bane, I’m afraid you’re a little early today.”

Plainly, yet expensively dressed, Alistair McCrae paused 15 feet behind Amber as she tried to convince the thundering pulse in her throat to shift a little so that her words might not come out slickened with blood and anxiety. She hadn’t told Mac she was coming here- lying had been second nature for a long time, however lying to Mac had been something she’d found far more difficult to come to terms with.
She’d told him she was headed to Atlantic City for a day or two before the Supercard, perhaps it was only a half truth given that this was merely a distractionary stopover before trying to find where the pit of her stomach had last dropped.

“Why do you assume I’m in such a desperate need of absolving my eternal soul?”

Amber did little to veil the iresome tone in her voice, her patience had already run beyond thin in the lead up to the inevitable confrontation with Masque and everyone around her had seemingly been paying for it. Initially she had put it down to nerves, the idea that 7 years of her life could soon be summed up into a two-person car crash promising some form of resolution was one that filled her equally with relief and regret. It should never have gone on this long, and yet there appeared to be a light at the end of the tunnel- only Amber wasn’t really sure if it was just the headlights of yet another oncoming train.
Fidgeting with the end of the loose braid trailing over her right shoulder, Amber tried to ignore the faint aching twinge still residing deep in the joint of her left.

She was cleared. Barely. With an assist.

Even she found herself shrewdly surprised when Gabriel Baal had let her know that his contact came through-  granted it wasn’t as though they did anything underhandedly, Amber reminded herself firmly, just improving a few numbers to the point of acceptability and getting a qualified signature to be happily compensated enough for their contribution.
It was a calculated risk, sure, but one she didn’t have a choice but to make. She should never have been cleared to face Ariana, however without that match under her proverbial belt- they’d never have let her have her shot at redemption… No, this was far more important than any risk she might be taking.
Even Mac and Cassiopeia were fooled by the clearances, perhaps more determined to simply allow this to happen than acknowledge the potential obvious consequences. Which reminded Amber that she had a voicemail from Cassie that she'd been meaning to check for almost 4 days now... Another day wouldn't surely hurt.

“Mrs Bane, I like to think we know each other well enough to recognize when there is a weight being carried unnecessarily.”

“I think you’re mistaking my professional ego for something far more base.”

Alistair smiled as he drew level with Amber, even his cologne smelled expensive. Clean, subtle - how she expected a millionaire CEO lounging on a yacht to smell, rather than a business-minded man of the cloth. Still, facades always required maintaining and hers had admittedly fallen a little in places. Mostly she blamed it on the time off, refusing to acknowledge that there was more to it than simple disrepair… She was the same as she’d always been, and be damned if anyone would try to tell her differently.

“Call it what you will, but even the most accepted burdens eventually need to be acknowledged.”

“You know, if this is going to remain about the state of my eternal soul---”

Alistair threw a hand up casually, understanding the undertone of urgency. Not that he had much mind or interest for what she did- their agreements were strictly professional beyond her in-ring sadomasochism, everything else was details.
One match since June though, that weighed more heavily than she dared to admit. Masque had been wickedly prolific in Amber’s absence to the point that even she had to acknowledge that it was more than just ‘dumb fucking luck’. Amber had seemingly dominated the division for so long that watching someone else fulfil that role became an almost out of body experience.
Still- Amber was still Amber. She was everything she’d always been- or at least she silently hoped, there was almost no proof of what she was capable of anymore, untested and relying solely on her ability to react and counter attack, to outlast in the way she’d essentially become renowned for…

“Mrs Bane---”

“For the love of--- can you just call me Amber, honestly this formality is draining.”

“--- I trust you understand, Amber…”

The words fell loosely from his lips, enunciated as though for her benefit.

“... That mine, and every other house of God, stands on a foundation of generosity. While I have invested a sizable amount of my worth into optimising and updating to keep up with the times- some of my more generously minded  ‘parishioners’ and high-value investors have found their faith starting to wane.”

“Would it be because it takes you three hours of sermon to convince them to give you more money?”

Amber’s lip curled into a half smile, her amusement matched by McCrae albeit less sincerely- as though an empathic reaction cultivated by years of personal manipulatory suggestions.

“You might well joke, however it is not my ‘lengthy’ sermons that appear to be spooking those who otherwise appreciate our societal contribution.
I’ve heard whisperings, Mrs--- Amber, rumours that sensitive information- be it personal, professional or otherwise about some of my most valued donors and investors, has been presented as a threat against them.”

“So, blackmail…”

“... and Essentially, yes. Threats to expose public certain business dealings, personal information about minor ‘transgressions’---”

As the smile fell from McCrae’s expression, the carefully built facade faltered ever so slightly. It was clear that he, himself, had been shaken beneath the otherwise calm and professional demeanour- something so very foundational to what and who he was and how easily it could all come crashing down.

“Transgressions you obviously absolved them of, I’m sure”

Absolution was only as good as the sins you had to repent for it- and by now hers had built up like a moral armour- it would really have been a shame not to polish it up before it was put to battle. Days were ticking down, each hour being a further opportunity to remind herself that she was about to do all of this for the right reasons and not just the ones that had gotten her in to this place to begin with.

Amber’s obsession with being Bombshells World Champion had become septic long before she’d lost to Roxi, a gangrene on her career that she’d become so sentimental over that it began clouding her judgement. What were once straightforward decisions became a test of loyalty- to her life vs her belt.
If only she were ashamed enough, or self aware enough, to admit how often the belt truly won out.
It wasn’t about the title though, Amber had to remind herself with a small frown that went relatively unnoticed, it was about everything Masque had done… all the people who’d been hurt along the way.

Of course, it could have been argued that the best revenge would be reclaiming Amber’s self admitted ‘heart’...

“--- being delivered to friends, family and other influential contacts. I trust you get the idea.”

“I mean, that sounds like it sucks for them honestly.”

Shifting her stance, Amber allowed a sigh to escape between pauses.

“How is your garage, if I might be so bold to ask…”

Amber’s expression hardened, the crinkle in her nose accentuating the green-blue shifting hue of her eyes and she narrowed her gaze towards McCrae pensively.

“Aren’t you just subtle as a fucking sledgehammer, then…”

A twitch under her left eye became a momentarily welcome distraction, Alistair cleared his throat deftly as he might in that situation before applying what Amber presumed might have been his best attempt at genuinity.

“Mrs--- Amber, normally I’d be incredibly dubious about simply doling out information and risking exposure of my investors and donors alike. What happens behind closed doors should remain as such, that being said it is also no secret that you are intimately acquainted with the process of finding people.
While you might not be a woman of faith, Amber, I know you are a woman of means and action… Find whoever this is, and bring about the kind of rapture upon them that you seem to be so adept at fulfilling…”

Those words rang hollow and empty- after all, she’d spent so long trying to escape the Rapture, trying to sidestep it's path and instead she found herself preparing to barrel headlong into it from two different directions. Death wishes usually came attached to glory or benefit, yet somehow she’d managed to make the term feel little more than transactional on two separate, competing fronts. With an anticipatory groan that unspoken signalled agreement between them, Amber murmured something untoward under her breath before Alistair leisurely stepped away, leather softly clacking across the polished stone floors.

Perhaps if she were able to survive one, she might harness it for the other- only, in truth, she wasn’t quite sure which was going to be which…

“... then you may consider our business completed.”

Amber allowed the pause to hang heavily before turning to leave, only before the last echo of Alistair's voice seemed to drift across the open space with a cursory snide smile seemingly laced through every syllable.

“Until, you are prepared to seek absolution, of course…”

“I went to therapy once.

Shocking, right?

Try to withhold your surprise and horror, save a little something for the match so this might actually be worthwhile instead of the veritable slaughter its shaping up to become.

Anyways, I'm not even sure why I went initially if I’m honest, perhaps the idea of being ‘diagnosed’ or understanding what might be wrong with me was an intriguing enough passing thought that I committed way too far. That's the thing I suppose, I’ve always been convinced that there was something about me that was simply ‘wrong’ like I was a jigsaw piece placed in the wrong box, trying to jam myself into spaces that I was never supposed to fit.

Therapist looks at me, and asks me why I felt the need to go there. I told them that if I had a good answer, I wouldn’t have needed to. All I really wanted though was someone to look at me and just know… just validate that I’m not crazy, a wrong jigsaw piece for this particular box. A mind that didn’t fit with its body. We talked for an hour- and at the end, I asked them ‘so what is wrong with me’.

They told me to come back in two weeks and we’d discuss it further.

All I could do was smile, Abigayle. Cause I knew, I knew that they knew… People wanna talk about the things that define them, the things that motivate and drive, the traumas that have shaped us and the devastation that forced us to rebuild.
We are defined by what we have, what we present to the world…

Did you think that by trying to take my identity that you might finally be defined by something more than this facade of fearmongering and disillusion that you’ve created?
You wanted my career. You had it. You wanted my protege, she’s sitting at your right hand like the obedient little puppy you’ve trained her to be. You wanted my life. You sure as fuck came close- but that's another disappointment for another day.

You wanted my love.

I couldn’t convince you that I loved you. You knew that I couldn’t, yet you demanded it anyway as though I might somehow fake my way into a miracle that didn’t leave me suffocating on my own self-loathing. You knew I couldn’t cause you were incapable of recognising it.
You love the concept of love rather than what it entails- cause it means giving up control, giving up a share of what defines you to allow room for someone else. Obsession isn’t love, it's toxic and it's so thoroughly ingrained in your very being that it's literally torn you apart from the inside out.
You’re starting to panic now, like the dahlias that bloom in October, but you can’t admit it cause you can’t define what it is gnawing at your guts or how long it's been there.
It's a painful twang of something missing, something owed. A debt that lingers like indigestion and the stale promises of betterment.
You aren’t in love, you’re bored and you’re losing touch with reality. You have been for awhile- you’ve been holding on in hopes i might be waiting at the end of your poisoned rainbow to end the suffering that you cannot bear to acknowledge. I’ll be waiting for you Abigayle, prepared for this moment as long as the lights remain on… and aren’t yours starting to grow very dim.

Yet, you still were determined to take my heart.

That's what everyone is going to think this is about- Amber fucking Ryan jumping the line and getting another shot at the belt that she hasn’t earned. Except I did, I won Queen for a day… I made a match.
A match that never came to pass. I’ve earned my place more times over than anyone on this roster- but do remind me ladies how many of you got a glimpse at the World Title while I was on the shelf, how many of you were dragged up from your consecutive loss streaks into Main event spots cause I wasn’t there to filter the fucking garbage?
Gratitude isn’t easy ladies, but you’ll do well to learn some. Without me on the sidelines, some of you would have never even got a glimpse of what MY belt looks like up close.

Let's be real, you only want the title cause you think it hurts me- that carrying it, disgracing it and treating it as some childs trinket destined to be lost in a sand pit somewhere does more damage than simply not being within my grasp.
You overestimate me, I’m a girl with simpler needs than you ever knew… Blood, destruction and my fucking world title belt. I built that title and its reputation for others to gain, not for you to piss all over cause it was more convenient than lifting your summer dress over a porcelain throne.

This match isn’t about my title though, and I can’t pretend like it doesn’t taste like ash to speak those words. It's not even about revenge anymore…

There was no way this match could have been anything but, Last Woman Standing. It's almost poetic really, that it comes down to ‘monster vs monster’ in a game of outlasting when neither knows the meaning of the word quit.
I built my career on matches like this, this is what I’m known for Abigayle- this is my playground, my domain, my kingdom of heaven shaded crimson with every sunset I’ve stolen from. I’ve painted canvases with the deepest scarlets imaginable and I’ve turned innocent bystanders in my crosshairs into fucking roadkill cause they lingered a moment too long. That doesn’t make me a monster, not really. Just someone who learned the hard way how to be really fucking good at their job.
Except you aren’t the monster you claim either, a mere facsimile trying to mimic what they’re supposed to look like- that's why you’re so much like me, a carbon copy without a warped sense of ethical misdirection. You’re inauthentic without original thought or feeling that hasn’t yet been recycled, reactive without logical impulse- you simply reenact chaos you have witnessed cause it has an immediate ripple effect and can therefore be quantified.
Truthfully, being consistently rewarded for bad behaviour and poor impulse control isn’t monstrous- those who enabled it deserve that title far more.
Let's be real though, I’m not some ‘lesser of two evils’, there is no hero vs villain dynamic to be exploited. Sometimes though it's better the devil you know rather than the devil continually going through a perpetual aggressive identity crisis.

When it comes down to it Abigayle- you needed me more than I ever needed you. I understand that now, and I only regret that I didn’t realise sooner.
Without my name, you spent your SCW existence trying to convince everything that your words, your precious Rapture meant anything. Without the promise of my scalp on your wall, you’re just another misunderstood and misconstrued miscreant with a way about pretty words trying to be heard over the chorus of everyone else with something to say.
Without me, you’re barely even an urban legend- an SCW cryptid by proximity. It's because of me that you are perceived as a Baba Yaga stalking these hallowed halls.

Whether you like it or not, whether you realise it or not- I made you what you are here. It's just that you came to realise that far sooner than everyone else, but a little too late regardless, how much my legacy put rebar into your otherwise flaccid spine.
You’ve become little more than a wallflower lacking morality, an intentionally disruptive force because you need everyone in the immediate vicinity to know that you aren’t anything like them. You are special, you are different and you want everyone who will listen to know that. A special, unique fucking snowflake- just like everyone else.
That's just the thing though, isn’t it? You aren’t even special anymore. For the longest time you played it close to the chest to the point those cards might as well been stuck between your ribs, but when you acted out like an emotionally unstable child- you got desperate and started leaning harder on my name, on what I’d built in SCW as a foundation. I became your crutch for when things started to get a little rough.

You need me Abigayle, more than I ever needed you. You don’t exist without my legacy, my career became your skeleton and now those shard might as well tear you apart fibre by bloody fucking fibre. At Inception, step into the abyss with me and hope to be saved by the mercy of the void- cause there's nothing left for you here.
No puppets left to dance on a string, no songbirds whistling at your beck and call.

For the first time since you arrived in SCW, you are alone. Your Rapture has failed, your Tower of Babel is crumbling beneath your feet…
Dante Alighieri, perhaps quoted it best as he witnessed the journey from our life to what lies in wait…

‘Through me you go into a city of weeping; through me you go into eternal pain; through me you go amongst the lost people’

I was here before you, I’ll be here long after you go. I’ve always been the Charon at the gates of this hell and I will be until the universe sees fit for me to move on. I’ve watched others beg and plead for sanctuary, to claim that they didn’t deserve this. Some of them didn’t, most of them- it never even mattered.
You won’t beg at the end though, that wouldn’t live up to the expectation you’ve set for yourself… No, you’ll stare at me as the light leaves your eyes, and I know… I fucking know Abigayle, that it's my name you’ll whisper last.

So this is it- justify yourself through my name one last time cause when this is all over, I promise it will be the only way anyone will ever remember you.”

Record
SCW: 15 - 4 - 1
Uprising: 8 - 2 - 0
Life: 0 - 1 - 0</span>

Offline Terrorfexx

• View Profile
Re: MASQUE (c) v AMBER RYAN - World title - Last Bombshell Standing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:58:48 PM »
Symphony of the Iron Underbelly, Movement No. XXVI - Arrant Thief

"The moon's an arrant thief, And her pale fire she snatches from the sun."

[The Past – TMT Marine Terminal, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA]

The flash of green and red navigation lights fight for attention as they gently sway from side-to-side, inducing a queasiness as they bob ahead of the vast steel-struck skyline on the opposite side of the riverbank. Office drones reduced to indistinct, nondescript silhouettes make for a hundred miniaturised cataracts that float across bright office windows as they scurry in some meaningless, unproductive triangle; made from email inboxes, photocopiers and bad coffee burnt to the glass.

Trapped in their concrete and metal prisons of polished glass and refrigerated drinking fountains, serving effective-life sentences of their own free will with the only difference being the luxury of making their cell a home in the fitful few hours between office calls. The rhythmic splash of water sloshing against pierside makes a lazy timpani for the atrophied snarl of a thousand internal combustion engines, idling in nose-to-tail traffic. Heat shimmer rising from a blanket of choking exhaust smog across the river makes the navigation lights on those tall, bobbing masts shift and warp and bleed into each other.

I press an edge of my heel down against the soft, rotting wood of the jetty and watch it depress and burst at the effort. Thick green algae spills out to either side, as if the structure itself is bleeding. Or leaking its corruption, its poison, into the wider world.

The unmistakable clack-clack-clack of stiletto against concrete echoes against the fibreglass hulls moored nearby, adding an off-beat interval to the lapping water’s effort. The stink of brackish water and industrial run-off fills my lungs, and I turn to watch the last time she will ever see any of this, ever again.

Cassiopeia, in brilliant red – it does so suit her – sweeps around the corner. Industrious, fast-paced. It does not suit a young woman to be dockside with nothing but the cityscape and the Moon to light the way and yet, she resolutely takes this same route home every evening. Perhaps she did not think it could happen again. It is why I knew where to find her.

It is how they have found her.

A group of four, stood leaning or squatting on the sun-bleached, fat bodies of abandoned storage crates and barrels. Burst open and ransacked, deformed by the elements and the weight of the thugs now waiting for their moment.

For their prey. For a flowergirl named after the stars, dressed all in red.

“Evenin’, Lady,” The tallest of the three men drawls as he moves out to stop her dead. She takes a step backwards but the other two have already circled around behind a strung-out section of wind-tossed plastic sheeting, standing against the way she came.

Panic manifests itself in so many curious ways. The involuntary jerking of limbs as the fight-or-flight reflex spins up on a heady, stomach-twisting cocktail of adrenaline and cortisone. Swallowing repeatedly, pursed and dry lips working in some silent affectation or prayer. Eyes narrowed, taking in the danger and desperately trying to categorise as the heart begins to hammer against the prison bars of its ribcage.

But then, curiously, it all seems to dampen down. A flicker of recognition passes over Cassieopia’s features and instead of heightening her anxiety, it seems to tamp down. Cooling. Her fists ball to match the fat hands of the three men forming an unwelcomely intimate triangle.

“... Been waiting a while to see you again.”

“Where’s your guardian angel?” The second of the three calls out, the slightest quiver in his voice betraying an absurd fear that very angel might inexplicably appear for having been summoned. Ironic, if he had only known how close she stood watching all of this work its way to such an inevitable, tragic conclusion.

She does not look over her shoulder, but instead finds those bobbing navigation lights out over the water. “ … And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgement on the great Day …”

The third thug frowns, the thick fat folds of his face contorting. “Huh?”

“Bible shit I think. Guess she’s busy,” The first shrugs. “Same goes for that redhead bitch I’m guessing?”

Cassiopeia purses her lips and then finds his eyes with her own. “Miss Ryan’s been extremely busy, lately.”

The crash of splintering wood snatches all of their attention as the fourth member of the ambush strolls languidly into view, twirling a tyre iron in-hand.

The former talent manager of the former Bombshells’ World Champion watches the end of the metal bar spin. Recognition dawns. “Where’d you get that?”

The other woman, the newcomer, stops and turns to look at the fire-blackened tip, its protective plastic coating boiled and warped under tremendous heat. “Lying around, like all the rest of the trash. Like you will be soon enough, sweetheart.”

She runs a free, knuckle-scarred hand through her short-shaved scalp. “Seems as good a way as any to send you to yer’ … You know …”

“Oblivion,” Cassieopia replies. At that moment, I suspect she knows I am here and that I will do nothing to stop what is about to happen. It is time for her to learn her final, most painful lesson.

Hurricanes cannot help but destroy everything they touch, even by proxy. Even when they are hundreds of miles away. Even when they have stopped spinning and whirling. At least for a little while.

It is the flower girl dressed in red who makes the first move, to the point I am genuinely surprised. She closes the gap on the most talkative of the large men – the one directly ahead – and as he clumsily reaches out to seize her by the shoulder, she simply swings a pointed heel up between his legs. A grunt of pain fizzles out as his lungs are emptied by a diaphragm squeezed in tight and collapsed on itself. Cassieopia closes the distance and buries the sharp edges of her nails into his face, tearing. He howls, one agony forgotten in favour of another as he stumbles backward and falls.

She goes with him, ripping.

Cassieopia is still clawing even as she is lifted up and off her feet, cold metal pressed in tight against her throat and up hard under the chin. The man at her flailing feet rolls away, gasping and pawing at what is left of his face. The flower girl lashes out as best her untenable position allows; lacing the other woman with cuts and gouges but she is resolute. She is determined.

She squeezes tighter.

Stiletto heels clack-clack-clack on the concrete to a new, slurred rhythm – desperately scraping for purchase until it becomes disjointed and heavy, and yet …

… Cassieopia does not fight the tyre iron itself, even as her life is squeezed out. Instead, she fights the woman trying to take it. Leaden arms rise slowly and slice red ribbon-laced lines across cheeks that bulge with exertion and effort. Her blood flows, even as the flower girl’s drains from her face.

Objectively, the Human Body cannot operate for any significant length of time starved of oxygen. Basic cellular function continues for longer, but the complex movements associated with thinking, with fighting, expire in mere moments. Those moments stretch out now into entire hours contained within the mind’s eye – becoming an age and epic which soon seems to stop and hang on some new, impossible eternity.

But, of course, it does not. Objectively. It takes only seconds for Cassieopia’s fingers to fall away from their bloody work, arms swinging limply by her side. In just a few more, her head lolls forward and hugs the tyre iron pulled in tight, underneath. And then she does not move ever again.

My attention is not fully focused  on the end of her life, because even now – with so many variables accounted for and understood to the point I feel as though I have somehow directed it all, myself – I cannot help but think she will still intervene. Every crushed can tossed down from a rotting edge by the wind whips my composite face around and over my shoulder; each creak of tensioned, rusted metal chain as the river nearby tugs on the ship attached to its associated links steals my gaze.

I wait for my Resplendent Hurricane to somehow, someway, appear like an apparition all too many think me to be. Objectively, I know such a thing is impossible. I know exactly where Miss Ryan is; many hundreds of miles from this Iron Underbelly within the pit of which her former talent manager is being lowered to the concrete, limp and pale. There is no reason for her to be here, now, and she will learn about Cassieopia’s end whenever she deigns to leave the razor-topped walls that separate her world from this one.

And yet … I still expect it. Still imagine a rageful redhead in ripped jeans and bunched fists stalking across pierside, breaking jaws and saving the day.

I almost laugh, because the warm and reassuring embrace of precedence gives me comfort. Amber Ryan has never saved the day. She has never saved anyone. Not a Man in a Hat, not her Husband and not a Flower Girl Named After the Stars. Twice. She could not even save herself from making the same mistakes again and again.

The woman with the tyre iron sends it high into the night sky and out of sight, to disappear into the river water with a splash. Swallowed by the wail of sirens reverberating through a criss-cross maze of rusting shipping containers, blocking out the south side of the city. Those sirens belong to any number of other awful things being visited on people by each other, but not here.

Not to this particularly awful thing, that I feel so integrated with. Orchestrated.

But, of course, I did not. None of what is happening here, by the floating red and green navigation lights, against a backdrop of capitalism wrought in steel and polished glass, is my direction. This is simply the inevitable consequence of becoming associated with someone who does not suffer from anything as mortal as consequence, but only seems to pass through them whilst others bleed and die by the wayside.

All of this is the responsibility of Amber Ryan. The very same who so confidently broke those bones in ripped jeans in this very same dockyard, only a few months ago. The telltale scar under the chin of the thug helping his bloodied, torn partner up to his feet is testament to her actions and the efforts of surgeons to repair what can never be truly whole again…

Testament to the consequences which eluded her, and killed Cassieopia.

On that night, back then, I intervened. On that night, I saved my Resplendent Hurricane from herself. But those were different times. I was a different person. Before my Rapture was realised; before I understood my purpose.

While I mused, the thugs that took their revenge for a chance encounter all those months ago have slinked away between broken crates and burst, stinking drums. It is just me and the flower girl and I step out from where the shadows kept me hidden. With the toe of my heel I press down on the fluttering edges of her red coat, and capillary action from the damp concrete underneath makes it turn a dark crimson.

Blue and glassy eyes stare up, through me and through the Moon overhead. Squatting down, the servos of my prosthetic whine as its forefinger extends, plastic hovering a few inches above Cassieopia’s slack face. For a few moments I consider reaching to pull her eyelids closed in some instinctual gesture of tranquillity, but that is as misplaced as it is futile.

There is no peace to be had. She is dead …

And Amber Ryan killed her.

[The Rapture]

I am sorry that these lessons have been so painful, my Resplendent Hurricane, but you are a difficult pupil. In seven tumultuous and long years, you have repeatedly refused to learn and yet it feels as if we are nearing a breakthrough. Some seminal moment, an epiphany, a point at which you will finally reward my patience with that final step on what has been such a trying journey of self-realisation and actualisation.

At last, you will acknowledge a truth that you would otherwise previously have rather died than accept as gospel, sung from hymn books so that all the world as a congregation can join as one:

Your storm is spent; its winds stilled. Now is the time of my Rapture and you are already as good as dead. If not physically, then assuredly spiritually. In your soul. Without that – without your vaunted fire, you are as cold and silent as the gold which saw you risk everything for ultimately, nothing. The same gold which now belongs to me. Thermodynamics demands any system of something becomes nothing, and whether it is coldly categorised as entropy or given some nebulous, awe-inspiring label like fate, its effects are the same. Nothing lasts forever, and you have used up the last of your so-called immortality.

It is written in the intravenous drips and catheters you wore while bedridden, while being put back together from the sum of my most recent lesson. When you struggled to support your own bodyweight, arms trembling with the effort as you limped down a track penned-in by cold metal handrails, every step a rattling proclamation of the end of your reign as a so-called Queenpin.

Checkmate, my most beautiful redhead.

You measure yourself against the pitiful opposition you so expertly culled during your previous all-consuming reign. The three hundred and fifty seven days which made you think you could lay claim to ownership of the board and, perhaps, all its pieces therein. Fools and young children, cut down brutally and tossed on the pyre that burned to keep your legacy bright enough for all to see and acknowledge. To stoop and bow and curtsy.

Such egomania in someone so obsessed with appearing nonchalant. Such a dichotomy between who you would like to be, and who you inescapably, inarguably are.

A reign of three hundred and fifty seven days, hollowed out by the weakness in your bones and the weariness in your heart. The soft, pliable thing in your chest and not what you ultimately replaced with by proxy of Championship gold and sweat-stained leather. A reign held up by my thorn-painted hand as you dithered and struggled to reconcile your new-found feelings with a desire to remain imperious. To remain Amber Fucking Ryan.

Compassion. Empathy.

While you experimented with these poisons, they corrupted your purity of purpose. Oh, how wonderful you were before these new trinkets twisted your senses and blunted those murderous instincts. Even then, I strove to teach you valuable lessons; encouraging focus, preaching to eschew all those distractions and irrelevant factors and silly little flower girls named after the stars. And for a while, you listened. And you won.

And you were still Champion. Queenpin. A Resplendent Hurricane. A goddess made from fact and violence and given form to make her earthbound folk wither and turn away and find an excuse to avoid their reckoning today.

But, of course, it did not last. It could not, because the only thing that gave you purpose was the World Bombshells’ Title, and while that stood impregnable and impervious to mere feelings as any iron replacement for a heart could be, the body that carried it and the mind that directed it soon gave out. Such frailty; made mortal and cast back down to join all the rest of us in the mud and the shit.

I waited so very long before taking matters into my own thorn-painted hand. Perhaps it was because the poisons which had leached the lethality from those hollow bones had infected me; gave me reason to stay while I hoped you would come to your senses and rediscover the living weapon you could so easily otherwise have been. Were, before mundane concerns and trivial feelings burst your wonder and made rusted that reaping edge.

Perhaps I simply wanted to wait to maximise your suffering. Not only your suffering, but to the maximal pain and misery of others. Bane, Fexxfield, Jones – every one of them leeches draining the greatness from you to grow fat and however briefly in an otherwise uncaring universe, relevant.

For whatever reason ultimately drove me, I killed you.

Killed your reputation and your mystique. Here lies Amber Fucking Ryan, taken from her pedestal too soon.

And then they came for me because I had dethroned you and taken your place … But they did not come back again. All your supporters, your cheerleaders and sycophants and most worshipful believers, martyred on your behalf by me and elevated. Become something greater than merely the end of your story but instead, the beginning of mine.

But there is another number you should preoccupy yourself with considering.

Two thousand, five hundred and fifty five. Seven years.

For over two and a half thousand days, you have been unable to find a solution to the problem I present, and you have tried so many different methods. Ignore me, side with me, and ultimately defer to me and in the end, all of this has led you to fall back into the same tired behavioural feedback loops that define your entire life. A silly little carnival-girl who believes that pretending, make-believing herself aloof and untouchable will somehow translate into material reality. There is a perfectly sound alternative so cordially excited to meet your acquaintance; one in which you accept that all the qualities you so fervently believe make up your brand, your existence – you – can be found in me.

I am everything you wish you could be, Miss Ryan. Free from the petty concerns of ethics or trifling morality. I am the living weapon you could almost have been, save for your obsession with maintaining meaningless trinkets like friends and your husband made bane by nature and name. Gumshoes and walking constellations in cherry-red heels, an eclectic mix of broken souls all helping to hold together the fragments of a psyche which only ever existed in your mind’s eye.

Look upon all the things I have accomplished in a fraction of the time it took you likewise. Consider the legacy I have built as an afterthought in dismantling yours. 

Is it jealousy that drives you? Fear? Of what? Inadequacy, perhaps. Of realising that you are worthless if you are not what you have always told everyone you are. A force of nature, a hurricane that cares not and wants not but simply is. Simply destroys.

I imagine that on Sunday, I will have to kill you to keep you from climbing back to your feet. Because no mere arbitrary three-count or momentary submission would do in terms of stakes versus which you can once again hurl your broken body against. Because in the end, perhaps there has been no breakthrough at all. No epiphany.  And so there is only one question for which I have no answer.

It is not how to defeat you, because I have already defeated you. In body broken with tyre iron and love, and in mind when you pressed your lips against mine. You really are so very beautiful in fluorescent strip-light.

It is not what happens after the lights in California dim and your eyes flicker open in the all-too-familiar surroundings of an Intensive Care Unit, serenaded by the electronic lullaby of a dozen chirping machines and safely buried in a cocoon of clear plastic tubes. Because there is nothing beyond Inception. This is the end, Amber. The only question left to answer is …

… How many times do I have to kill you, girl?

[The Past – Atlantic City Medical Examiner, Linwood, New Jersey, USA]

Had a whole story concocted up to get through the reception and into the back – probably the only time anyone ever tried to sneak into a morgue, but turns out to be a whole bunch of thinking time wasted. Guard behind the desk to my right barely lifts his brow up, let alone eyes, and those stay glued to the tablet making tinny whirling sounds as his fingers tap rapidly across its grease-smeared plastic.

So I just bustle on through and push the doubleset doors ahead apart. The muffled thumps of my well-worn shoe leather turn into crisp echoes as threadworn carpet underneath gets exchanged for faded, lime-green tile. Where the edges are bevelled and hidden from the rattling wheels of gurneys and the bootie-wrapped, scuffed footsteps of their attending orderlies, their original brilliant colour hides. Survives.

Then the smell hits me, strong enough to make out like I might just gag on it. A heady perfume of eye-watering antiseptic, floating over the unmistakable stink of decay. Not spoiled fruit left out too long, but ordered and structured rot mitigated as best medical science delivered on a county budget can manage.

Know that cocktail only too well. Can’t say I miss it.

Fluorescent lights overhead make the washed-out walls, smeared in white gloss, even harder to look at. Everything is reflective and sterile except the line of frost drawing perfect outlines of the refrigerator hatches set into the far side. That tells a story …

Or, maybe, marks the end of one.

“Can I help you?”

She’s hard to pick out for a second – pale blue scrubs underneath a white overcoat, face mostly hidden by a surgical mask pulled in tight – but the cluster of pins attached to her lapel give me bearing to find her eyes fixed on mine. There’s a black heart, miniature metal key swinging underneath; a few caustic references to good days and bad and a fair mix of accompanying swear words, but there’s a guarded kindness above the mask that offers reassurance. Comfort.

It’s not going to be okay … How could it be? But maybe we can pretend a while.

“Sorry, Doc,” I offer, sweeping the hat from my head. “Here to see the flower girl.”

She frowns and takes a step forward and just a little bit of that kindness goes someplace else. “Pardon?”

“Cassieopia Mearns,” I clarify and she relaxes. “Name’s Terryl Fexxfield.”

Reaching over for a clipboard, the Doctor nods. “You called earlier. Don’t suppose your family?”

“Nope.”

“Friends?”

“Would’ve liked to have been,” I reply.

She tosses the clipboard back onto the stainless steel tabletop with a clatter. “I suppose I don’t need this then. Guess that’s why you called first.”

“Appreciate the favour.” But I don't. Not really. Who would, given the circumstances.

Making her way over to the bank of refrigerators, the Doc gives the handle of one of the units a sharp twist and it takes all my self-composure not to flinch at the clang of the lock as it disengages. “I’ve seen enough thoughtless murder in this cesspool to know nobody’s going to work particularly hard to find out who did this to her. Just another statistic. If you can help, if you’re willing, I can look the other way on the paperwork.”

Then she tugs the integrated gurney out and that all-too-familiar face, framed with blonde and all waxen and pale, emerges from a twinkling cloud of ice crystals and billowing, antiseptic vapour.

Christ. Not again.

Takes a few moments to steel myself strong enough to talk and she waits, patiently. It’s how I know that for everything this miserable city has taken from – from people like Cassie lying there – I know it hasn’t changed me. Chipped away, got underneath the paint and made it bubble up with scabs of rust, maybe. Hollowed out and made the structure tired and weak … Definitely, but the substance has stayed true.

I’m still me, because my heart feels just as heavy seeing this as it did any other time someone got what they didn’t deserve.

It doesn’t take long to see what put her to sleep forever, and against that pale skin the sickly half-moon smile of bruising underneath her chin stands even prouder. I pretend like I’m putting more effort into examining the wound than I really am, because I know how this happened. Knew how it was going to happen. The whole sorry story laid out on the bookshelf like some cut-price novel, waiting to tempt badly-organised travellers at rail stations and airports the world over.

“You said you know who did this?”

I shake my head. “Don’t know who …”

Something like anger flashes across those kindly eyes and her hand instinctively – protectively – goes to the gurney handle to push Cassie back inside the refrigerator. “That’s not what you said, listen … If you’re one of those–”

“Said I knew what happened to her,” I interrupt, watching the door shut with an anticlimactic thump courtesy of its thick rubberised seal. “Not a matter of who, but what.”

The Doctor frowns. “I don’t understand, Mister Fexxfield.”

“A situation,” I clarify. “Got caught up between two irreconcilable differences. Got torn in half by them.”

The lock swings shut with that same, shaking boom. “Just sounds like another metaphor for awful people to me,” She shrugs.

Can’t argue, and I flip over the hat in my hand and set it down on my head. “We’re all awful people, Doc. Some of us are more than that, though. Some of us are forces of nature.”

I push the heavyset door open, letting the whiff of traffic fumes and stale coffee from the reception room beyond clear out the medical stink in my chest.

“What kind of forces?”

Holding the door open, I pause for a few moments. “Hurricanes …”

No, that just doesn’t feel like the right description anymore. This isn’t about a storm and the world it passes through. It’s become some twisted diarchy; two opposing things, equal and terrible.

She takes a step forward. “Mister Fexxfield?”

“Feels more like the Sun and the Moon,” I toss over a shoulder, taking one myself and letting the door bang closed behind without looking back.

[The Rapture]

Is it jealousy that drives you? Fear? Of what? Inadequacy, perhaps. Of realising that you are worthless if you are not what you have always told everyone you are. A force of nature, a hurricane that cares not and wants not but simply is. Simply destroys …

… But over these last two thousand, five hundred and fifty-five days, I have come to realise that the wrong metaphor has been applied. You are not a swirling hurricane. Rageful winds and whirling chaos. You are the Sun, burning furious and bright and threatening. Incandescent and awe-inspiring; eye-drawing. Dominating of the sky and everything in it. Unwilling to share, uneasy at coexistence with anything that might question or compete.

A slavering, hungering ego lies at your nuclear-hot core, desperate for validation. Not for anything as uncouth as money or the typical trappings of fame. Instead, you crave respect. That sickening yearning for fear. Above all else, you want people to fear you, Amber. The uneasy murmuring that robs a full-throated room of its roar when you cross its threshold, the subtle nods from those that might on their best day catch you cold on your worst, but will not. Not today. Not ever, because they are scared.

Not money. Not fast cars. Fear is the currency you wish to see exchanged for bodily acts of violence in your name, by your fists.

I have come to realise in these last few months, since taking your heart and making it mine as Bombshells’ World Champion, that I have eclipsed you. This is no longer a question of influence, of machinations and plots and subterfuge. The epicentre of this – of all of this – does not lie in you, but me.

Your radiance is dimmed and the flames that once licked and burnt at the clouds are cut across by the black orb of my ascension. It is not simply that I sentinel the night when you choose to turn away. I am more than a reflection of your fury and power and presence held out of sight for a spell.

I have taken everything from you and made it mine.

That, however, is where our eclipse-esque metaphor draws to an end because unlike the transitory nature of the Moon’s zenith over the Sun, our equivalent has no such sudden end or reversal of fortune. This heart of yours made mine, this Championship, stays on that dark side away from your furious, rageful red light.

And why should I not? Why should I stop at simply robbing you of your light and plunging all things into a more peaceful, more calming darkness. Granted, there is such beauty in the nocturnal; where all things rest and recuperate and a blessed silence falls over everyone and everything. Such an antithesis to your sound and fury and metal-on-metal clanging. But it is not enough. I think I would like more.

I think I would like to be you. More than you … And I think I have done so very well at doing so.

Look to the way I have resisted the toxicity of the title that has otherwise riddled you with the disease of self-doubt; eroding your resilience and crumbling your willpower and robustness to fine ash. Like the cinders swept out of Oblivion, razed to the ground by the hubris of one half of the Bane-Ryan machine. Imagine becoming embrittled by the cancer of your own perception of excellence. A psychosomatic wound that has become terminal, made you into nothing from something that was once so wonderful.

Here lies Amber Fucking Ryan née Phaethon, son turned daughter of Helios. Who took their father’s chariot made the Sun become the SCW World Bombshells’ Championship, and hurt so many so widely with an inability to wield it or control it. Who allowed it to consume them, and where it touched the Earth it burnt the land to desert and where it disappeared into the stratosphere it froze all under thick tundras of ice.

Oh, for all those who suffered while you tore through this company as Champion, oscillating wildly between teeth-grit rage and stand-offish cool. How Mac dealt with the choice wounds you cut into his soul, all under the guise of independence. A free-spirit. Because that is who you are. A hollow, pathetic justification to explain away all the cruel things you have visited on everyone foolish enough to dare to cross your path without a cross word, once in a while.

You were weak in mind, transferring your self-respect and self-confidence into an inanimate object as if that could endure more successfully outside of your psyche than in. Weak in body, because I have broken it utterly and what stands across from me on Sunday, in California, is some hastily-repaired imposter.

The real Amber Ryan is dead. I killed her, so many times. This is a remnant, more suited to the umbral shadow of the Moon than the Sun she once represented. A breeze in lieu of a hurricane, robbed of her gravitas and reduced to the role of spectator to the coronation of a new Queenpin. Her crown placed upon my head and with it, proclaimed Regina.

You have watched me take everything from you from your hospital bed. Your place in the panoply of this company, to replace your monotheistic cult under the One True Painted Hurricane with a new Diarchy and polar opposites. Your past; accolades and accomplishments rendered moot when considered against the reality – pay no attention to the redhead behind the curtain, furiously pulling brass levers and twisting dials and working her terrifying visage with its clockwork mouth and steam-powered smirk.

Your present, left broken on the floor of a boiler room in Long Beach. Your future, taken as I took your protege, Miss Blackthorn, under my tutelage. I find it a powerful parallel that she, too, was abandoned by those that should have done so much better by her. I wonder what rationalisations you tell yourself to justify that particular betrayal. There have been so many.

Curious, that you manage somehow, some way, to retain those that still believe in your message, despite such proclivities for the turncoat persuasion. Your proclamation. The Gospel of the Distorted Angel. Oh, I remember that title well.

I wonder if Terryl does, too?

I was there, Amber. Two thousand, five hundred and fifty five days ago in Atlantic City. I gave you the first of many tests, all of which you have failed spectacularly. As you were destined to fail. Because despite the passage of time and all the wounds and agonies it has brought, you have learned nothing. Incapable of change, of personal growth.

Do you remember how he looked at you, when you decided a title was more important than what I believe may well have been true love? You will have to forgive me for approximating, since I am not sure what love is. I think I have been in it.

I think I loved you. I think I still do. I think I understand why so many huddle under the warmth of a fleeting moment of your attention. They line up so desperately, and they vie for your transitory interest like mayflies. But you do not really care for them. Perhaps that is the only difference between all these people and their love.

They believe in delusion or denial that you feel the same, whereas any affection you showed me was as calculating as it was artificial. Oddly, that comforts. To watch Mac eviscerate himself emotionally, spiritually, under the pretence he is simply supporting rather than enabling your worst impulses. To watch – to enjoy – Terryl shorten his professional career and personal life repeatedly, for the privilege of watching you give up time and time again. The things you did to My Songbird, Matthew …

For poor Cassieopia, the second flower girl named after the stars you have upended and ruined. Tell me, does your insistence that they did what they did, to love you, support you, of their own free, will give you comfort too? Is it easier to ignore the contribution you made to their damnation, rather than accept culpability?

Your former protege, now mine, Miss Blackthorn, once said that the difference she saw in me was one of truth. That unlike all of the others, unlike you, I did not hide behind layers of misdirection, falsehoods spun into wicked narratives to advance your own desires and frustrate others’. Is it not ironic that here, now, at the end of everything we have ever done together, that I am the one most content with my truthfulness and transparency?

Everything I have ever done, every act committed by my thorn-painted hand, was laid out and foretold. You cannot say the same and, I think, you would simply smirk and toss that red mane over your shoulder and shrug.

Line up your personal retinue of lovestruck fools, both matrimonial, platonic and somewhere ambiguously in-between, and ask them otherwise. Pointless, an exercise in futility, because it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

The only words that matter, truthful or not, are those of Amber Fucking Ryan.

It is a remarkable study in the depths of Human ability for self-obfuscation. To be faced with so many opportunities to step from the path that leads to only disappointment, destruction and the end of everything you have worked for and stay that same path through to the bitter, tearful end shows the ultimate perversion of the illusion of choice.

I do wonder how many of them will be left, at the end. They do so seem to wilt while you thrive, like sacrificial Pawns in some greater game to protect their Queen.

There will be no such choice on Sunday, at Inception. Instead there will simply be the administration of a final test: not for you, but me.

Am I the Moon, destined only to eclipse your light and take it away? Rob the world of the Sun and replace it with nothing – the absence of Amber Ryan? Or have I taken her place? Become the new centre of this universe and everything in it. A test whose conclusion is largely independent of the outcome as far as you are concerned, because both represent a final, unequivocal end.

I once told you I thought we were destined to this forever, My Love, but I was wrong and you have outgrown your usefulness. Perhaps once, you could have been something truly terrifying. Something to shake the walls of this world itself and bring everything crashing down as you walked, imperiously, free and uncaring. But you are not what you once were, and I am so much greater.

Are you not proud of what you have helped to make? Everything I have done, have become, is because of you. Once upon a time I was merely an insubstantial reflection; an arrant thief stealing my pale fire from your greatness and wonder and beauty. Maybe when your eyes roll open to that soft and familiar electronic lullaby, surrounded by worried faces and their sycophantic owners in some private medical suite in downtown Las Vegas, you will finally learn a lesson of substance.

That there are oh so many things worse than death. I will show you every last one of them.

It is time to put an end to whatever it is that wears the face of Amber Ryan, like a mask, and would have the world believe she still walks. I am cold, and I think I would like to walk in the warmth of the sun for a while. Maybe after you are gone, I will dispense with mine. Maybe, after you are gone, I will go by my real name.

Abigayle DeLune, SCW World Bombshells’ Champion.

On Sunday, I think I will have to kill you to prevent you from climbing back to your feet, but that is okay.

I have killed you so many times before.

D̶o n̶ot b̶e fri̶ght̴e̵n̵ed. M̷i̵n̵e i̵s t̴he̵ la̴st vo̷i̵c̶e yo̴u w̶ill eve̴r h̸ear.