Author Topic: A Short Fuse  (Read 861 times)

Offline Mac

• View Profile
A Short Fuse
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:19:38 PM »
A short fuse

“Let’s not have a double standard. One standard will do just fine.” ― George Carlin

[Foreword]

Recently we in CCPE have seen some popular names leave our organization but in turn, we added some of the biggest names in the industry. People like Ken Davison, his wife Kyra, her sister Lucy Wilde and her man Rogan Mac. Kim Pain, Goth, and the lady Melissa. Unless you’ve been under a rock for the last decade, you know those names very well. As you should, they are all names that draw big money. I’m very proud of my friends for joining CCPE, they deserve the recognition that being a part of an organization like ours comes with. They deserve greater exposure, and the opportunities to travel to other places and make an impact for that company. Any company they should decide to work for gets instant credibility and global interest. We’ve done that for a number of companies over the last two years. We’ve done it here, as is evident by the star-studded cast of players who have signed up for the Blast From the Past Tournament. The additions of Peter Vaughn and Chris Page to this roster in the last year are examples of that.

It’s been so successful that Goth, Ken, and his wife all wanted in and jumped at the chance to be represented by a great management company. So, as Sin City Wrestling grows its roster, you can thank Chris Page and me for that. He now has a vested interest in this company and wants as badly as I do for the company to grow and become more recognizable as a global leader in wrestling. Nothing would make me happier than for that to happen. You may not think it has anything to do with Sin City, even though I just laid it out there for all to see. SCW will never again be seen as a small player in the wrestling industry. It will be seen as a growing company with all the potential in the world.

You’re Welcome.

{Hell’s Gate Dojo - Grande Junction, Colorado - “Calling Home”}

I had known all too well what Cy meant when he said to tell me to call home. I knew it was bad, but I really wasn’t certain how bad it was. So, I stood there watching as Whisper and Rene ran a group of new students through drills. Her tone was crisp and had a slight edge to it. She had moved on from heartbroken to angry now. I couldn’t get my hands on the man that caused it, but I could be here for her if she wanted to talk. They had come to the end of the drills for the day and Rene shot me a quick smile, and ran his arm down his forearm which meant, “Go easy”. I nodded to him in return and Whisper saw me for the first time. It wasn’t really a smile she sent my way but it wasn’t murder in her eyes either. She shook her head and walked over to me, I gave her a big bear hug in return. She looked up at me, “Someone told you to call home didn’t they?” I shrugged, “or maybe I was just missing your charm and warm nature.” In return, she slapped me in the chest, “your sarcastic nature is going to get you killed one of these days.” I smiled through the sting of the slap, “Wanna talk about it?”

She rolled her eyes at me, “About what exactly, Mac? How I trust yet another miserable piece of shit? What a loser I am for opening myself up to someone, only to see it crash down around my head once again?” I sighed at her self-destructive attitude about the breakup. “That seems a bit counterproductive at the moment. What I really wanted to talk to you about is my own self-destructive nature and how I’m spreading myself too thin.” She looked at me in such a mortified way that I pulled her into another hug.

That’s when she broke into tears as I held her close, “Get that shit out, Whisper. Your students are gone and it’s just family here.”  Through our connection, I sent reassuring thoughts to her and after a few minutes the sobbing eased up and she patted me on the arm indicating I should let her go.. I did, and she patted me on the shoulder, “I’ll be back after I clean this mess up.” she pointed to her face, indicating the ruined makeup. I nodded to her, “Take all the time you need, I’m not going anywhere.” She turned and walked towards her private bathroom that was in her office. I felt the big meaty arm of Rene as he draped it across my shoulders. “I don’t know how you do that shit, Mac.” I chuckled, “It’s a gift and a curse, brother.” He laughed, “I could see that, this has been….even calling it hard wouldn’t do it justice.” I nodded in response, “yeah, I can tell, this was almost crippling for her. If I could get my hands on that bitch that did this, he’d be done” My hope had been that this would be the guy to be able to make her happy. He turned out to be just another loser that wanted to have his cake and eat it too. One of the things that I have noticed about myself lately is that I have this tendency to take on the burdens of my family.  Knowing that and changing the way I do things are two entirely different stories. When I went after Larry Tact, for example, I did that because Kat wasn’t able to at the time. Matt Knox was a twofer, for me because he tried to steal my wife. The other part again was about Kat, the way he treated her, and that whole mess.

Unfortunately Travis Blake or whatever his fucking name was, well, he was out of my reach. Whisper would not tolerate me going after him anyway. If she wants payback on that stupid little prick, she was more than capable of doing that for herself. Rene broke my thought process, “Ya know Mac, maybe it’s time to slow things down for a while.” I smirked and nodded, “Yeah, you may be right. It’s something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while.” “Good, wouldn’t want to see you burn yourself out, not with that gold strap to defend.” I nodded again, “Yeah, it’s a real killer to defend as it is but you add all that weariness from the road to it and it gets infinitely harder.” He grinned at me, “You’re so full of shit but thank you for trying to humor me on that.” I laughed at him, “You know me a little too well, old man.” He laughed, “I was just like you at one time, it’s easy to spot.” I nodded, “I’ll be right back, I’m going to go grab a smoke.” With that, I left Rene to his thoughts as I walked out into the cold night air. I slid a jacket on as I stepped outside, fishing my cigarettes out of an inside pocket. I grabbed one and lit it with the zippo lighter that red had given me, I inhaled deeply. I started down the steps and when I got to the bottom one, I nearly busted my ass on some ice that had accumulated. “Fuck, that could have ended badly,” I muttered.

I could hear the lighter steps coming behind me, and I turned around just in time to see Kat launch herself for one of her world-famous tackle hugs. An audible “Oof!” escaped me as I caught her. She buried her face in my neck as I held her close. I set her down gently because I wasn’t fully convinced of her physical recovery from surgery. She reached up and smacked me on the head, “I’m not a ceramic dish,” she claimed. I rubbed the spot where she had hit me and winked at her. She rolled her eyes and looked back at the stairs, “I think your big ass broke that.” I shrugged, “If I did, I’ll replace it, I’ve already got two by-sixes in the back of the truck.” I looked down at the cigarette and it had gone out, probably from when she jumped on me. So, I deposited it in the ashtray and grabbed a new one. Lighting it, a question came to mind. I exhaled softly, “How’s it going with Ari?” Kat shook her head, “I’m not sure, really. I don’t know her story that well.” I nodded, “Yeah, I catch bits and pieces of it from time to time. She’s got that internal rage, I know that problem well and it’s not easy to beat.” She looked at me, “Have you beaten it? I ask because I’ve noticed how much more aggressive you’ve been lately.” I gave her my most beatific “Mac Bane” smile, “My dear sister if I didn’t have that in check there would be a body count three miles long.”

{In-Studio - Las Vegas NV - “Ripping the bandaid off”}

I stand in front of the microphone once again, ready to talk about my title defense against an old adversary. The only thing out of the usual appearance is a bandaid covering a wound from my last fight, above my right eye.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. I’ve done this myself a time or two. We all have that one person that we just can’t seem to beat. Well, except for Amber who just seems to be a world-beater. I digressed a little bit. This will be mine and Bill’s third match against each other. Bill finds himself in familiar territory, as the underdog.

I smile at the camera and bow my head slightly.

However, before I go into all that, there’s something else that needs to happen first.

I rip the bandaid off in a symbolic gesture.

That’s right, I’m ripping the bandaid off, so let’s sweep the curtain back and talk about real shit, shall we? Yes, I think we shall.

The temperature begins to rise as my blood pressure increases. I glare at the camera, summoning the hate and the fire I feel about the past. I don’t scream or even raise my voice, I keep it steady and soft, maybe even softer than normal. I want to keep the attention of people who have wounded me in the past.

Where are the gatekeepers? The men who screamed their opinions of injustice over my naming Matt Knox number one contender last year? That was my fucking right as the winner of the blast from the past. 

I rest my hands on the podium, breathing normally at this point, but that could change going forward. these motherfuckers have no idea of the beast that lives inside of me I thought to myself before continuing.

I told you all, he deserved to be next in line. He proved me correct, he got fucking lucky but at the end of the day, he won the strap. Much to the chagrin of all.

I pause there to allow that to sink in and to make sure that my pulse is kept in check. can’t let too much out all at once now, can we? Make them wait for it. I think to myself and I smile.
So, now we have Michael Harris named the

using air quotes.

number one contender

After he wins one match?

One

Fucking

match.

I hold my hand up to my ear as if the sound is too quiet, then I shrug my shoulders. just a whole lot of nothing I think as I continue into the next segment.

That’s right, not a fucking word. Not Ben Jordan, haven’t heard him say anything in months. Fenris, well he gets a pass, he’s hurt, and no sense in it. Mark Cross or as I like to call him, “What about me?” Oh, yeah that’s right, he’s only part-time and there was a tournament in someone else's sandbox.  Jack Washington, back of the line bitch. Oh, but he did finally sign up for the tourney because he was crying to Chris about how he didn’t get a one-on-one match. Matt Knox? Who the fuck cares.

I shake my head in disgust.

So Harris gets a fluke win over Chris Page and that makes him a number-one contender? I don’t fucking think so. We’ll see if he gets past Ken and see where that puts him. If I know my brother at all, that shit may put him on a stretcher.

To be continued…

{The Oblivion Ranch - Las Vegas NV - “Haunted By The Past”}

When she said the name, I know the shock must have registered on my face. “Admiral Gomez”, was the name she said. I looked at my wife, “I thought that piece of shit was dead.” Amused but unphased by my phrasing, “next time darling, tell me how you really feel.” I responded with sarcasm matching her own, “No one wants to know how I really feel, love.” She smirked at me as she continued to lay out the scenario of him being one of McCray’s parishioners. “That makes sense, it would give him access to all kinds of government ties. “Gomez was allowed to retire without ever facing justice for what he had done.” I shook my head and stood up. “So, we have to figure out who would want to blackmail him? That will cut the numbers down but not by much. He made a lot of enemies and screwed a lot of people out of big paydays.” I stopped and Cuyon placed a massive paw on my boot to stop my pacing. I chuckled softly and reached down to give him a little love, scratching behind his ears. “The man has a list of war crimes, three miles long at minimum.”

I scratched my beard in thought, “too bad Vivian isn’t here to tell you about him.” Amber arched an eyebrow in response. “What happened to Viv?” “Protective custody, there were four men who tried to kill her recently. She’ll testify against them in front of a grand jury soon. In the meantime, I can’t contact her for her own safety and ours.” “You think it could be one of them,” she asked. I nodded, “it would make sense, but with his reach I doubt it.” I shook my head again, “Stranger things have happened though.” I stood back up to my full height and walked back to the couch and sat down. “I’ll make a phone call though,” I said as I picked up my phone. Scrolling thru my contacts until I found the number for Jeff Castello. I pressed the phone icon and it began to ring. He picked up, “Hey Mac, what’s on your mind?” I smiled, “Well, I’m wondering who your prisoners have made contact with recently?” He paused, “I know which ones your talking about but other than their lawyers, none.” I asked, “Stupid question, what about letters written, do you guys still log that information?” He paused only briefly, “Yeah, we do.” I almost wanted to do a happy dance. “How long do you need to see who they’ve written letters to?” He sighed, “A day, maybe two.” I thought about that. “I need it as fast as you can get it for me, I think they’ve been in contact with Gomez.”

There was a long pause on his end, “I thought that bastard was dead.” I chuckled, “Yeah we’re guilty of wishful thinking.” I happened to glance over at Amber as she rolled her eyes. I smiled at her reaction and stuck my tongue out at her. Another deep sigh from Jeff, “This shit just gets crazier and crazier Mac.” I bowed my head in thought, “Yeah brother, it damn sure does. Just ring us up when you find out.” “You got it.” I disconnected the call and looked up at her. She looked at me thoughtfully, “Who is this Gomez?” I sat back in the couch and looked at her. “He is a lot of different things to different people. To me, he was a war criminal and a traitor. To Vivian, he was a hero up until the very end. Knowing your mentor tried to have you killed is a hard pill to swallow.” She nodded, “I remember you telling me about that, I’m surprised he made it out of the country alive.” I nodded, “If I’d had my way, he wouldn’t have, but Jeff wouldn’t allow me to take the shot.” She looked at me in a way that said she understood. “Vivian and I had become close friends, she was an amazing sailor. She always did things the right way.”

She smiled at me, “And she still does, Mac.” I nodded and smiled back at her, “Roger that.” I stood back up, “you want some coffee?” She looked at her watch, “Shit why not?” I laughed as I made my way to the coffee pot.”

[in-studio - Las Vegas NV - “Ripping The Bandaid Off Part 2”}

Still in front of the camera and microphone, continued from previously. Now we get to the real reason for this promo Bill.

I’ve told you all of that, so you understand why I may be just a bit angry. So, you’ll understand why Bill has to pay the price.

A look of amusement, almost pure joy comes over my face.I’m going to enjoy this way more than I should.

Billy B. You’re an interesting dude, I’ll tell you that. You believe that you deserve this title match don’t ya?

I have to spend a moment fighting back the laughter.

Before I get too far into this, I do have respect for the things Bill’s accomplished. I know that he is a man that tries to win at any cost. I can’t shame him or blame him for that because I’m the same way. If I know him at all he will make all kinds of accusations towards me and the saviors. Because It’s Bill, no one will believe the shit he says. Dumb motherfucker.

I shake my head in disgust and sigh loudly.

Bill, we’ve been in the ring way more often than the record keepers indicate. They say three but I think this is the fourth or fifth time isn’t it? I’m pretty sure it’s been twice in the Blast From The Past Tournament. Bill was also one of my first matches here as I was running through the roulette division like there was no competition at all. Because there wasn’t. Before I knew it, I was five and oh and was the roulette champion. I destroyed everyone they put in my path. Much like I’ve done throughout the other men’s divisions. Internet, World Title reign number 4.

Spreading my arms out wide as if to say, need I say more? I refuse to take him lightly, as easy as it that would be to do. The thing that sticks in my mind is any given Sunday.

So yes, Bill and I have some history. When we first launched The Saviors, Bill, and Vinnie were the first victims. You’ve got Vinny’s goofy ass out there trying to turn over a new leaf. Meanwhile, his buddy Bill is busy making excuses on why he’s losing so often.

I shake my head back and forth making the tsk-tsk sound at the camera.

Now then, I know you’ll be bringing your lovely bride to ringside with you. Be warned Bill, if she sticks her nose in this match, Kat will be at ringside to make sure she pays the price. This is the only warning you’ll get.

I gaze as I look at the camera becomes sterner.

Should you manage to win this match and become the new SCW World Champion? It would open up a whole new world for you and Bea. People will want to be your friend. You’ll have people offering to help you manage the additional money that comes with being a world champion. The ladies will come knocking, Bill, they won’t care that you’re married. They’ll want that D, buddy. I hope you think you are ready for that kind of world.

I stare at the camera with a blank expression and then smirk at my own words.

Then there’s the schedule, the signings, and the radio and television interviews. A whole new wardrobe where you’ll have to look your best for the people. The fans would love you as a world champion there chief.

The smirk grows into a smile. I snap my fingers.

Then you’ll wake up because it’s all been a dream. A beautiful dream full of rainbows and unicorns. All because you have an overactive imagination Bill because that’s never gonna happen as long as I breathe. Bill, you are a career mid-carder at best. You like to tell stories that are obvious lies, only you believe they are true. So, that makes you a delusional career mid-carder with aspirations of greatness.

My smile disappears as I consider the alternate ending.

But what if he does beat me? What if I lose this title to a bumbler like Bill? Shit, I might have to retire at that point, I don’t think my ego could take that. Even if you do billy boy, you won’t get to celebrate that victory. No, because you can’t celebrate your moment if someone knocks you the hell out.

Fade.