Author Topic: The Truth  (Read 567 times)

Offline Mac

• View Profile
The Truth
« on: April 08, 2022, 10:38:54 PM »
Vs SuMa for the world title.

“There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them.” - Andre Gide

{Unnamed Studio Somewhere in Greece - “Clearing the air”}

Standing in front of a camera, accompanied by a boom microphone looming overhead I smiled at the camera. I was dressed in a slate gray suit, not Armani or anything so obnoxious. A pink handkerchief and tie, along with alligator shoes to complete it. I wore my hair loose today, with no ponytail or cap. It was an attempt to make this as professional as possible.

For those of you expecting an explanation of why I chose Knox as the new number one contender, you’ll be extremely disappointed in me once again.

My smile is now almost beaming as I chuckle slightly under my breath.

What I will address though is the reaction of other so-called stars. I’ll have more to say on this at the next Climax Control. Fenris is not a so-called anything.

I shake my head and almost lose my smile, but it’s reinforced now as if it was made of steel.

I never at any time disregarded you to challenge for this title. Quite the opposite, you are in my top three that I want to face.

Fade

{The Bane Home - Las Vegas, Nevada - “The Sanctity of Marriage” }

A few weeks ago

There are few things that can rock me to my core, and yet here I stood, overwhelmed. Not overwhelmed by the job of defending the title. It was something far deeper than that. A feeling of betrayal swept over me. That feeling you get when something happens and it sends your heart into your stomach. A nearly uncontrollable urge to vomit because your reality has been so completely shattered that you are not sure you trust yourself to speak. Cheap cologne intertwined with the cinnamon perfume flooded my senses. I knew the cologne and who it belonged to. I looked down at the hamper where Amber had deposited her clothes from the trip. I shook my head in disgust not quite believing the painting that my mind was created with broad brush strokes. I sighed heavily, “Anyone but him, Red.” At that point, I could have lost my temper and trashed the house. I wouldn’t do that today, I knew what I had to do after Mikah and I finished winning the Blast from the Past tournament. I would wait, I would bide my time and then I would bleed him dry. I would kill everything that was Matthew “The Raven” Knox. Then I found my voice.

“I will ruin you, Knox.”

Present Day

After naming Knox the number one contender, I had achieved something that few thought possible. Even though the Saviors had decimated this roster, all the terrible shit I’ve done was nothing compared to when I named him the number one contender. What did I do in return? Not a damn thing, I’m not someone who explains themselves. There was only one person that made a comment that bothered me.

“Fenris, thinking he had been disregarded,” I shook my head, “Not a chance fella, not a chance in hell,” I said these words as I happened to walk by the hamper, the smell was gone but not the memory. “Yep, that one is gonna sting for a while,” I said those words as I made my way to the back door. Stepping into the morning air, while still a little cool, was not unpleasant. Bare to the waist, I sat down in my usual place, setting my coffee cup down, I then retrieved my pack of cigarettes. I lit a cigarette and then focused on my coffee. “Funny, the things you will disregard because of who says them.” I thought back to the claim that SuMa had made on social media. “Another secret discovered,” he had claimed. He had been insinuating a relationship between Amber and Knox and of course, I just brushed it off, because why would I believe a man that would go to any extremes to get what he wanted.

That poor brutish bastard, so droll and predictable. Challenging me for my title after that little distraction. I had anticipated it and was ready for it, just as I was ready for the man who called himself a monster. I didn’t consider him that at all, a troubled soul but not a monster. A man with some obvious mental issues, mainly being a psychopath. “SuMa, you hit every bit as hard as I do, I’ll give you that. You just don’t understand the danger that awaits you. You will, but not yet.”

Fade

{Unnamed Studio Somewhere in Greece - “The Truth”}

continued from the previous part called “Clearing The Air”

I continue to smile as I start to get to the heart of the matter, nodding my head quickly I almost laugh.

The Supreme Machine!
SuMa!

The monster of Sin City Wrestling!

I pause for a moment to breathe and relax my smile just a bit.

Or as I like to call him, Tom Rivers. See, the big man has been walking around for years, claiming that titles didn’t matter to him.

Raising my right arm, I begin to shake my finger at the camera.

Tsk, tsk Tommy. You’ve been telling that lie for a long time, son. It’s not something new, you’ve always liked the gold in the belts.

I smirk at the camera and lower my hand.

What SuMa would like you to believe is that he’s just out there taking things away from people in order to cause them pain. Right?

I shake my head in disgust.

The truth is that, once he got a taste of the gold and what goes with it, he became greedy. Yet he continues to lie to anyone who will listen. Isn’t that right, Tommy?!

Staring down at my shoes for a moment, shaking my head again, I look back up. More intensity this time, less of a smile.

So, the question has been asked, why did I really bring the big man to Sin City? What he would say is so that he could manage the things that I wouldn’t. He would do what I would not. He was brought here to do all my dirty work.

I stare at the camera and then roll my eyes.

Are you starting to see a trend here? He wouldn’t know the truth if it bit him in the ass. It’s just another lie to deflect and mislead people.

I cock my head to the side.

SuMa knows the truth of why I asked him to join me here. The first part of it was to take out the garbage in this company. To run all of the mediocre talents out of here to help make Sin City a place where the elite come to chase glory. A place where people could achieve clout.

The intensity remains but a smile threatens to tug at my lips.

The second part of the equation is a little more amusing. Well, amusing to me in any event. He was bait.

I openly smile about this, chuckling under my breath I continue.

As funny as that sounds, Masque’s songbird took the bait hook, line, and sinker.

I laugh out loud, throwing my head back and howling with laughter, then abruptly I stop.

the guy that thinks of himself as a supremely cerebral wrestler got played. He hates me right now for it, I guarantee.

Then amusement is now completely gone, and my eyebrows furrow.

Those Rivers boys are something else, ain’t they? Both made to look like foolsl. Both were angry at me, not as angry as the rest of the roster but pretty close. 

I smirk at the camera again, I run my hands through my hair to slick it back again.

All of this began because the biggest goof on the planet couldn’t remain focused long enough to win a match. The supremely evil and disciplined warrior couldn't keep his eyes on the prize. Amazing. So, when he challenged me of course I was going to accept it.  It didn’t matter if I caused a distraction or not, G was gonna win that match regardless. I did it just to fuck with you. Mostly because you are so very predictable Tommy. Well, that and because I can.

Fade

{The Oblivion Garage - Las Vegas, NV - “A man of the cloth?”}

Amber and I had been in the garage for only a short time, as we looked around, it was easy to see I hadn’t been able to do much in the way of the rebuild. I knew she was fighting her own demons inside her own head, so I stayed close, holding her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze every once in a while. She returned it, and even glanced up to give me a reassuring smile. Originally we were supposed to reopen in April but that had now been pushed back until late summer at the earliest. It was a little disheartening for both of us but we knew this required patience. That word, patience, if it was a virtue, it was one she would definitely have to live without. Her patience in general was pretty slim but when the “priest” showed up, her teeth were set on edge immediately. I gave her hand another squeeze and she physically relaxed a bit.

When he offered, I shook the man's hand. A hand that was smooth, no calluses, a firm grip but he had skin like a pampered girl. His suit that he wore was expensive, to call it immaculate would be an understatement. The man looked like he was ready to walk the red carpet in hollywood. After the pleasantries had been exchanged, then came the offer of money. I brushed that off, because Amber and I could retire today and not need a thing for the rest of our lives. Resources though, that caught my ears and they perked up. Amber and I both knew there was a catch. She knew him from somewhere in her past. He had a way about him, the way he talked and even walked that screamed snake oil peddler and i didnt’ like it. Those kinds of things leave me reaching for my pistol and on high alert. I didn’t though, especially because of his parishioners that were in attendance as well. The way they carried themselves, spoke volumes to their confidence. The slight bulge of a jacket pocket, the man who was obviously his second in command. He was armed, then I surmised that the rest of them likely were as well.

There were roughly twelve in total, body guards, what had this man done in his life to need a complete security detail. I listened as he explained the nature of their relationship, former business partners. That meant Del Gado I’m sure, I thought to myself. I never allowed my smile to slip as he continued to talk. With all the pleasantries out of the way, he asked Amber to walk him out. I stayed put for a moment to allow them their conversation in privacy, plus I wasn’t entirely sure of these armed men and if they would simply gun me down for trying. So, being as respectful as I could, I watched them retreat with the guards leading the way out for McCrae.

She had walked McCrae to the edge of the garage doors, I watched her as she watched him. She was nervous about the arrangement, which begged the question of what her association with him really was. I could ask but I decided to let it play out organically, if she chose to tell me or not, I would try to find a way to be okay with it. I walked up behind her as she seemed to still be lost in thought, wrapping my arms around her from behind, “Penny for your thoughts.” I said quietly, her response was as I expected, dripping with sarcasm and self-deprecation, “I’m not sure they are worth that much.” She went from extremely tense to relaxed as we stood there watching his retinue go on their way. “Yep, I’m sure I hate him,” I said with slight amusement in my voice. She leaned back into me a little, “Mac, you only just met him, just wait until you get to know him.”

Fade

{Shipwreck Cove - Zakynthos - “Coming to terms”}

The rocking of the charter boat, the smell and sound of waves lapping against its hull gave me a sense of peace. That’s what I needed right now, time to think and breathe. My mind was so full of conflict that even focusing on Whisper at times was not helpful. The day before I had been up on the platform that overlooks the cove or Navagio Beach as some called it. One of the locals told me that it was a great view up on the cliffs but it was far more so on the beach itself. So, I find myself now on this charter, the captain assured me that this was the least busy time of the day. I paid him extra not to bother with the other stops along the way.

I sat near the front of the charter boat, Captain Pappas had named her the minnow as a joke but the name stuck and he never changed it. That captain and his boat navigated as smoothly as the sea allowed. His first mate, Shelly, I found out she was an american who came here on vacation and just never went home. A rugged woman, physically strong and skin that was lightly weathered from too much time on the ocean. She approached me as I was enjoying my surroundings, “You seem at home out here.” I nodded and showed her my United States Navy ring. “I’m an old salt, but yeah, the sea has always been a happy place of sorts for me.” What I told her was the absolute truth, I had loved my time in the Navy and being out on an open body of water made me far happier than most of the things in my life. The sole purpose of this trip today was for myself, no camera opportunities for the companies I work for. I was being greedy for me, for a change. I needed this to make sure my head was straight on what I was doing and more importantly why.

some time later

I stepped off the smaller boat and waved to the first mate as she headed back to the “Minno” and stepped on white sand. I quickly came out of my boat shoes and began making my way across the beat. I turned and marveled at the view. White sand and crystal clear water, it put me in mind of postcards I’d seen in my life. Those postcards really didn’t do it justice though. Greece was absolutely stunning and I wasn’t sure I actually deserved to see something like this. I had about an hour before the scheduled tour would begin and so I made my way towards the wreck of the MV Panagiotis. It had been, according to literature, a one hundred and fifty-seven foot cargo vessel.  The story went that they were smuggling cigarettes and other things for the Italian Mafia. They had run it to ground in order to try and escape the Grecian Navy. That was all back during the eighties, “Crime just doesn’t pay, I guess,” I muttered to myself as I approached the wreck. It was the wreck that had brought me here to begin with. The husk of metal on the beach, it had various animals using it as a home of sorts. It reminded me of SuMa in a way.

“I’ve often wondered what it would take to quiet the monster and let the man behind it out and into the open.”

I already knew this from his wars with Knox, I was there for the majority of them. If you could exhaust him, he was vulnerable to more than physical damage. Matt had told me of the conversation they had while in the hospital. I knew that at times Tom could be brought forth, he had a way of overpowering SuMa from within. I also knew that he thought this was going to be easy, he believed that he could overwhelm me like our previous meeting. I was different then, he was hellbent on my destruction. “I don’t die that easy Tommy,” I said with amusement. He had no clue how much I had evolved, he would find out very soon. He had forgotten about how easy I put him down when he crossed the line with me. My strategy would be simple, it was going to be a bull fight, it wouldn’t have a matador just two bulls slugging it out. I had seen enough here and knew what I had to do.

“Slay another monster. I never grow bored with that.”

That meant I would have to stand toe to toe with a man whose strength was every much as powerful as my own. Perhaps stronger when he was enraged. That was the difference between us overall. When he became enraged he made mistakes, when I became enraged, I simply grew stronger. I arrived a couple of days early and hadn't been to the hotel yet, that would be my next stop. It was time to check on Amber and make sure she was okay. I looked around and took my shirt off. I decided to go for a swim while I was waiting.

The warmth on my back felt good, and as I was about to make my way into the water I heard a voice from nearby. “You don’t want to swim here sir,” off to my left I spotted a woman who I thought might be in her early twenties. I stopped where I was, I could see the drop off a few feet away. She started approaching me, deeply tanned skin, dark hair, pouty lips and a sway to her walk that would stop any man in his tracks. “Why is that?” I asked with a smile. She pointed out into the water, “You’d be disturbing the babies.” I watched the newly hatched turtles had taken to the water. “This is a protected habitat for them and the seals.” I looked around and saw the seals hanging out on the rocks and I smiled. “That’s okay, the boat that brought me here will return shortly,” I said without much thought to it. “Ah, that must be your dingy approach now.” I nodded, “Yes ma’am that would be it.” “Ma’am? How old do you think I am?” I laughed, “I see my good manners have gotten me in trouble once again.” She smiled, blushing slightly, “Sorry” she said sheepishly. I waved it off, “It’s okay, in America we would refer to that as a Texas thing.” She studied me for a moment, “Is everything bigger in Texas?” she asked as she was staring at my crotch.” I smiled, “Yes ma’am, sometimes they are even bigger than the ego’s of the men, not usually but sometimes.”

“Are you staying in Zakynthos? The hotel near the venue for your show?” She asked me as she shifted her gaze up to my eyes. I nodded, “I am.” She smiled a coy little smile, “Maybe I’ll stop by there and buy you a drink.” I brought my left hand up, showing her my wedding ring, “I’m afraid that would not be a good idea, my wife and I don’t share.” She actually pouted at me, then I was saved from any further damage to my soul by the arrival of Shelly in the dingy. “Mr. Bane, we’re all set,” she called. “On my way,” I called back. “Ma’am it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” I said to her as I made my way to the small boat that would take me back to the Minnow. Shelly, obviously amused, said to me as I got in, “Looks like I arrived just in time.” I didn’t comment at first. “That young lady has been trying to get in the pants of every man we’ve brought out here whether they are accompanied or not.” At that point I chuckled, “She better be glad my wife wasn’t here.”

Fade

{Hotel Bar - Zakynthos, Greece - “Things and Stuff”}

After my trip to smugglers cove or shipwreck beach or whatever it was called, I found myself here on the patio. The food here was amazing and I drifted away from food and to Ouzo. Not the smoothest in the world but I wasn’t here for the enjoyment of the flavor. I was here very specifically to get drunk. I had checked our room before coming down here and the smell of cheap cologne had hit me again. That motherfucker had been in our room. Again my anger had flared, I had calmed myself long enough by saying that there was still no evidence that there was an affair going on. Then I had another Ouzo, in talking with some of the wait staff and other locals they loved the fact that Sin City was here and doing shows in Greece. “Lad,” an old man said to me with a face full of mirth. “Who the hell came up with the Greece Lightning Tour?” and we all laughed. “Suits always make those decisions,” I started and they all laughed again. Slapping me on the back and commiserating that all bosses were dumbasses. I went outside to smoke and found myself sitting in a chair with a table nearby for my Ouzo.

I lit a cigarette and inhaled deeply. Another round arrived, then another, and then a third. I arched my eyebrow in a very Leonard Nemoy kind of way and the bartender let me know, “The boys like you.” she winked as she went back into the bar area. I smiled as I killed them one after another. The burn was amazing and so was the cloud that was filling my brain. I started thinking about things again and it hurt my soul, but I would survive. I always did, no matter what someone did to me, rather it was on purpose or not. “Fuck me, that’s good liquor.”

The last time I had them checked, my bar tab had reached somewhere around three hundred dollars in american currency. I noticed the sun had gone down, “Hmph, didn’t think I’d been here that long” I said with a slight slur to my speech. I looked up at the bartender who was bringing more Ouzo and smiled at her. She looked at me, obviously amused at my current condition, “You really should go up to your room and sleep it off.” My smile grew broader, “Aye, I probably should but wouldn’t want to wake the wife up.” She smirked at me, I’m afraid there may not be a choice, we’ll be closing soon.” I laughed at the comment, “Well, then I should probably pay my tab.” She left and I slugged the Ouzo down without hesitation. I dug my card out and paid her when she returned. I signed for the amount and slipped a couple of hundred dollar bills in for a tip.

I slapped my knees with both hands, “Okay! Here we go!,” I said admittedly louder than I intended but it got the proper amount of laughter from the other patron. “You’re welcome, I’m here all week” With that I started to make my way to the inner hotel area, I knew I was weaving a bit. Someone had asked me if I was okay, “Of course, I’m just reacquiring my sea legs.” I finally found myself at the foot of the stairs, “An elevator would be a good idea right about now.”

More laughter as I heard the ding of the nearby elevator, then I laughed too because I had walked right by it. Then I worked my way to the elevator and a young man who obviously had experience with drunk people helped me along. I exited the elevator and made my way to our room. I entered the room and that was the last thing I remembered until I felt someone tugging on my belt. Through bleary eyes, I could make out the outline of a female but I couldn’t see her clearly enough.

“Excuse me, madam, I’m a married man!” I managed to bellow drunkenly. That’s when I heard the giggle and the smell of cinnamon filled my nostrils. Then I passed out.

Fade.

{Undisclosed Greek Restaurant - “Truth part 2”}

I sat in the same restaurant that I sat in last night, with coffee this time instead of Ouzo. I had showered but was wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I set the SCW title on the table. I took a sip from my coffee cup.

They say that truth will set you free, I thought to myself as the camera began to roll. We’ll see if that’s true or not. My head was still spinning a bit and I’m sure what I was about to say was going to come out just a little growly. Not that I cared in the least, but we generally try to make these things at least appear professional. Not today….

So, I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk about the fact that SuMa could in fact beat me for this title.

I pointed at the title with one hand and moved in front of me with the other.

He wants to take this from me because he believes it will cause me harm.

I shake my head in response to that statement and mouth the word no.

Wrong again, It’s a title belt. Take it from me and I’ll win it back again. Hurt me and I’ll heal. The title belt does have value.

I stared down at the belt.

See, world titles or lack thereof don’t define me. I’ve won world titles on fourteen different occasions. Not a single one of them made more of a man than I am.

I take a breath and another sip of coffee.

It didn’t make me a better wrestler than I already was. Sure, it brought more money. I’ve been added to multiple halls of fame.

I pat the belt and position it on my shoulder.

I’ve held it since December nineteenth of last year. I know you believe this will be easy that I’m the same man I was when we faced off in OCW. You know, before they shut the doors and started over?

I smirk at the memory of it.

Sure, I’ll give you credit for a match that was never televised. I mean you did win the match. Nothing was really at stake in that match, was it? You held a hardcore title but it wasn’t on the line.

My gaze hardens severely.

This title is on the line though, and that matters to me, to have someone who wouldn’t know a wristwatch from a wrist lock beat me for a title that exemplifies wrestling would be unacceptable.

My facial features relax somewhat but the intensity is still very visible.

It could still happen, you’re a big man, you call yourself a monster but are you?

A smile tugs at the corner of my mouth.
you see, Tom believes that I brought him here to be the monster.

My smile blooms and I chuckle. Shaking my head in disgust.

No Tom, I was always the monster, always the enemy. You’ve never caught onto that fact. You never even considered that to be true.

I shake my finger at him again.

One of the many mistakes you’ve made with me.

I lower my hand and rest it on the table.

You underestimated me at every turn though, haven’t you? I told you not to harm non-combatants. You thought that nothing would happen as far as consequences are concerned.

A predatory smile is now more present.

I dropped you on your head for that. You told the entire world on social media that harm would come to me but not at your hands.

My facial expression doesn’t change.

Another lie, but it’s nothing new, is it? I don’t know about anyone else but it’s become apparent to me that the Rivers line is thick with sociopaths. You boys wouldn’t know the truth if it bit you.

Another sip of coffee and I dig out my pack of cigarettes.

You’ll however justify it to the world that it’s your perspective and that’s how you measure truth.

Lighting a cigarette, I lean back, tipping the chair back so my head rests on the wall behind me.

See, that’s a problem, too often people like you live in your own little world. Not reality.

I lean the chair forward and set the belt back on the table.

That’s a you problem, not a me problem, SuMa.

Smiling I stand up with the belt in hand.

So, the next time we meet, Tom, it will be the last time. You tormented a man’s family. Women that had done nothing to you. You caused one of them to miscarry. I’m sure that you feel vindicated, that you have done the world a favor by causing that. You say that all of his children will be just like you and him.

My grip tightens on the world title.

That’s not your decision to make, Tom, you don’t get to choose who is strong and who is weak. That is entirely on the parents. If there is any justice in this world, they won’t be as weak as the two of you.

I sling the title over my shoulder.

My plan is very simple, SuMa. I’m going to break you. I’m going to make sure that I get through to Tom Rivers. I’m going to end your reign of terror over Tom. If that doesn’t work, well, then I’ll just end you.

Fade.