Author Topic: Every Day Is Halloween Where I Am From  (Read 280 times)

Offline Parand Ara

• View Profile
    • Parand Ara
Every Day Is Halloween Where I Am From
« on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
 Every Day Is Halloween Where I am From

The Syrian Bombshell of Sin City Wrestling walks down the city street as she makes her way home, the small hand of her little sister Larissa. Parand all but ignored the hostile stares of those whom she passed by, and how some passers-by who did not give such looks still managed to avoid passing her sister and herself too closely. It was a typical reaction that she was all but used to, and successfully ignored, but Larissa? Not so much?

Larissa: Why do they look at us like that?

Parand: Ignore them. Some people are just ignorant, and know no better when around people from our country.

And it was an unfortunate circumstance, considering Parand and her sister were as far from the "terrorists" that was mumbled beneath the breath of some they saw in every day life. To fools like these, anyone who was not born in America did not belong in this country. And if you were from a violent country with a bad reputation, then that reputation followed you as being one and the same. Many of these narrow minded individuals followed the mad rants of a power hungry individual in the White House, who shall remain nameless, stating that the borders should be closed and foreigners should not be allowed in this nation quite so easily.

The amusing part of that is that these very same people conveniently forget that they too came from another country, descended from immigrants who sought to escape from whatever conditions drove them generations ago. Whether it be war, poverty, or doctorial governments, their ancestors all wanted to leave and come to America for a better life. A better life that the new generation were enjoying and trying to deny others, all at the very same time.

Ignorance. This nation was filled with it and it was all just getting worse with that orange-faced pig  in office, spewing his hateful rhetoric's and his supporters were drinking up every word. He would even incite violence against his political enemies, and only a day or two ago, claimed ignorance when supporters attempted to send bombs to those very same enemies. "It was the fault of the media." He claimed, refusing, as always, to accept any blame for wrong doing on his part.

But time enough for such musings later. The previous day when the sisters had taken a taxi home to their apartment, they had passed a store with colorful and scary displays in the windows and just outside of the doors that had attracted young Larissa's attention. So when the little girl had begged her elder sister to visit the store, Parand had little desire to deny the request. What harm could it do? Halloween was not a holiday that was actively celebrated where she was from, nor the surrounding countries. No, in Syria, as well as nations such as Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine and Tu8rkey, they celebrated Eid il-Burbara.

Eid il-Burbara was their equivalent to Halloween, where one celebrated the Christian Saint and Martyr Saint Barbara who disguised herself from the prosecuting Romans who pursued her. It was believed that a miracle occurred for Saint Barbara, who ran through a wheat field to escape and the plants grew instantly to cover her path. The traditional food was called Burbara, which was a bowl of boiled wheat grains, pomegranate seeds, raisins, anise and sugar. It is offered to children who go from one house to another in costumes, the equivalent of our Trick or Treating. Although many children still did our version for sweets as well.

Even in the most war-torn districts of her country, the children were still able to pay tribute to the Saint,, singing songs and celebrating. It was as if much of the violence would take a brief hiatus for this tradition. Much. Not all. It was still a risk, and one that was too great for several families. Parand knew that before Larissa was sent to America to stay with her where it was safe -- safer -- that her extended family would not allow the young ones to go out for risk of kidnapping or something much worse. So little Larissa was anxious to go out Trick or Treating where she could again have fun and experience the simple pleasures of being a child.

Which was exactly why Parand had her brought to America in the first place. She just wasn't certain how successful a Syrian child would be welcomed along the streets at night, begging for candy and treats. Although her being in costume would work well for this, she supposed. Parand had already borrowed from Christian Underwood some Halloween-themed animation for Larissa. It would be a small added consolation.

Larissa: Wow...

Her young, brought chestnut eyes sparkled as they happened upon the store in question. It was otherwise empty year round but come Halloween, the company Spirit Halloween, took it over and filled it to the brim with holiday costumes, decorations, and much more to entice the consumer into spending more wealth than they had. Even Parand had to admit the attraction, the fun nature where one could hide in plain sight and just pretend.

In that regard, Halloween was as much a holiday for adults, if not more so, than it was for children.

Parand opened the door an Larissa sprinted inside, her youthful eagerness for anything new to experience somewhat infectious.

Parand: Larissa! Slow down!

She chided her sister but it did little good as Parand herself could not held but smile from beneath her Niqab. Larissa's head turned in every direction, looking up, down and everywhere in between. She took in all the delightful sights of frights. She gazed at the makeup and costumes, and her warm, brown eyes widened at the displays of faux skeletons, witches by their cauldrons and zombies. Much of this would never be found in Syria, and even Parand had to admit there was a thrill to being frightened in an innocent way.

Clerk: Can I help you?

Parand sighed, an annoyance building up inside of her. It always started out like this. Fake courtesy from store clerks but one that just screamed they wanted you in and out of their store as quickly as possible.

Parand: My sister simply wished to see. We do not have stores like this where I am from.

The clerk nodded, then a smile spread on his face.

Clerk: Are you taking her out Trick Or Treating?

Parand: I have not decided.

She gave the thought some pause, then continued.

Parand: Although it is quite likely. I have a hard time telling her no.

To this, the clerk smiled in a genuine way which surprised her. She saw no discomfort on his own young face, nor in his eyes which she was usually able to read as easily as an open book. He rested his forearms on the edge of his counter and watched as Larissa ran up to a rack of colorful costumes and her small hands ran along the soft fabrics of many a Disney Princess replica.

Clerk: It'd be a shame not to take a cute kid like that out to get some candy. It's just the one time a year where you can get all the sweets you want and not feel guilty about it.

Taking in these words, Parand turned and saw as Larissa's excitement drew some attention from others in the store, and few of them were negative. It was almost as if her sister's introduction to this holiday was drawing both sympathy and adoration from some of those around her. Quite the contrast to the usual feeling of disdain and hostility Parand had come to expect.

Larissa: Parand?

Parand's head turned to her sister who shy approached her, holding onto the colorful yellow costume of beauty, from Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Her small fingers held the hanger but she did not touch the costume itself, as if she were afraid she might break it somehow, or if it were wrong to touch it period. Larissa looked at Parand but did not ask. She did not need to, although her sister suspected she were afraid to ask for something when Parand already gave her so much at the expense of herself.

Parand walked over to Larissa and in her hand took up the helm of the lovely costume and looked at the price tag.

$59.99 Not as bad as Parand might have expected from such a novelty shop as this. Parand looked up, and something in her own eyes made a smile spread across Larissa's face....

Many families would take their children to "safe" Trick or Treating events earlier than the traditional door to door event on October 31, although many would go out at this date as well for the added fun. Parand was no different, and on December 26, she took Larissa in her delightful Belle costume, stood along with  many other children at a Home depot, sponsored by the North Las Vegas Police Department.

She watched carefully as Larissa, all smiles and giggling at the clerks and police in their own makeup and costumes, dropped treats, popcorn balls, candy and the like into the plastic, pumpkin-shaped pail she carried in her arms. And not a single soul, child or adult, begrudged her for this one evening.

"So. SCW has opened its doors to refuse. Common garbage from outside. Trash by the name of Alicia Lukas. I am not surprised that this woman has set foot inside of our territory, already acting as if it were her own. Talking as if she is to be either the savior or destruction of what has been built upon for over seven years. She comes as a champion from elsewhere, but the amusing thing is she forgets a simple number of facts. Can you guess what they are, Alicia?"

"Well first of all, your past accomplishments in Honor are of really no importance. Not any more. Because this isn't Honor, it is Sin City Wrestling. And once the two became one, it was not your home territory that retained its name, but my own. Your past accomplishments, all that you have achieved? You may as well open up the window and watch it be cast into the wind because that is all it means to me. Who you are, or who you were, is a thing of the past in my eyes. As is your precious championship reign."

"Yes, I heard you boast on social media that your championship title was still active, but is it still important? Not by my reckoning. The only championships that matter now, are the championships bearing the emblems of Sin City Wrestling. Championship accomplishments I seriously doubt  will ever find a place on your mantle. You are too proud. You think too much of yourself. You walk into SCW as if you were a Queen, when your Royal Highness would be this close to being over thrown. Your self-imposed Kingdom is already on the brink of destruction, Alicia."

"I am but the first in a long line of rebels, ready to cast you out."
>     width="650 height="100 quality="best">