Author Topic: Pleasure before business  (Read 863 times)

Offline Tempest

• View Profile
Pleasure before business
« on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »

The funny thing was that originally Tempest had booked for herself a room at the Holiday Inn for her stay in Philadelphia, but she quickly found out something about her trainers, Gabriel and Odette Stevens. And that was that they had this habit of taking charge when they felt and believed that their charges deserved more or better. And considering that Tempest, their latest graduate, currently reigned as a World Mixed Tag Team Champion alongside Austin James Mercer, there was simply no way that the Holiday Inn would do. So, with or without her consent, the Stevens put in a call and had her accommodations not only changed, but upgraded by a considerable amount.

Tempest stood in awe from the moment she set foot into the suite at the Bellevue Hotel in Philadelphia, not the most expensive but quite grand all in its own right. From the outside it came close to resembling a palace, and the inside was not only fancy, but also warm and welcoming. It had a magical and festive feel to the very building, making every guest feel as if he or she were in a movie setting.  It was located in the central area of the city so that if she had a desire to take part in anything touristy, she would easily be able with a minimum of fuss. Not that there was much chance of that as Tempest had a habit of staying within the confines of her room, no matter where SCW ventured. She just was not much of the tourist/sightseeing sort. Unless, of course, someone had the brass to drag her out into the city to experience something other than her hotel’s painted walls and wifi. And that someone was usually Austin James Mercer who had seemingly taken it upon himself to ensure his tag team partner learn to live a little and have a little something called “fun” every so often.

Only this time might end up a little bit different.

Tempest: I’m telling you momma, this place just isn’t me!

Of course, Tempest was talking to the woman who held her respect more than anyone else on the face of the planet, her own mother, Nalani Mahoe. Tempest knew Austin would most likely attempt to corner her, no matter where she was staying, and as luck might have it, for good or ill, he just so happened to be staying in this very same establishment.

Nalani: Sweetheart, I know you’re not into the whole grand, princess scene, but just try to enjoy yourself. From what you told me, the Stevens put you up there because they wanted you to be comfortable and felt that you deserved it.

Tempest sighed as she took a seat on the edge of her bed.

Tempest: I know, but that little fact makes me feel even more apprehensive. Guilty, even.

Nalani: What on earth for???

Tempest: Oh you know me, momma. I never was comfortable accepting gifts or hand outs. If I couldn’t do it myself, I wouldn't be interested.

Nalani: I think in cases like this, it might be more like you are interested but you feel bad about others spending their money on you.

Tempest sat there silent, not saying a word to how her mother saw the situation with her daughter. Because, in truth, she had hit the nail on the head. Tempest had paid her own way through life for as long as she could remember. If someone did manage to talk her into going out to a meal, their treat, rest assured she would find the cheapest thing on the menu just so that she did not feel like a burden on them, or their bank account. But this luxurious hotel? When Tempest did a google search to find out just what Gabriel and Odette were spending on her so that their student was comfortable, she could have cried. If she was the sort.

Nalani: Let’s look at this logically, okay? You make good money still from owning your bonds business, correct?

Tempest just shrugged and answered with a silent nod.

Nalani: If you have the money to treat someone to something a little fancy, if you felt that they deserved it, would you?

Tempest: If I thought they deserved it, I suppose so.

Nalani: Then why waste time feeling bad about allowing someone else to do the same for you?

A soft laugh escaped from her daughter’s lips, telling Nalani that her words struck a proverbial cord. True, her stubborn nature might never really overcome this feeling she had regarding other peoples’ money, but it would at the very least ease some of her own feelings. Tempest cast a sidelong glance at the TV in her room which she had kept on for background noise, and something advertised caught her attention. Something that she had eagerly been anticipating and yet somehow in the rush of getting to Pennsylvania, had completely forgotten about.

A feature film released this very day, very appropriate for this time of year.

Tempest: Momma? What’s the date today?

Nalani: The fifteenth, why?

Tempest: I just thought of something that I would like to do today. Can I call you back tomorrow?

Nalani: Of course. Go out and have a good time - for once. Love you!

Tempest: Love you too.

That said, Tempest ended the call and turned her cell phone off, tucking it into her jeans pocket. She then grabbed her tanned aviator jacket and quickly exited her hotel room door, shutting it behind her. She walked with a brisk pace down the hall until she came upon the elevator. And a brief pause later as the elevator descended and she arrived on the lobby floor, as luck would have it, just as the doors slid open and she went to step off, Austin James Mercer moved to step on.

Austin James Mercer: Hey, where are you off to…?

Tempest: Come on!

She said, not giving him any time for questions or to even protest as she grabbed his arm and pulled him along with her…

And less than an hour later, in the darkened AMC Theater, Tempest and Austin kicked back with sodas and impossibly large tubs of hot, buttered popcorn, watching “Halloween Kills.”

The Pavilion in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The six-sided ring had been set up and throughout the weekend, local fan events would be taking place including radio and local news interviews, webcasts and, of course, the obligatory meet n greets where the SCW Universe could meet their favorite Superstars and Bombshells; have a chat and get a photo op, walking away with a head full of cherished memories. The surrounding stands were empty, but in just days, they would be filled with screaming fans, men and women, young and old. Each one cheering for their favorites and hoping beyond hope that their least favorites would fall in defeat.

Seated on the edge of the ring where she has already made a name for herself, is one-half of the reigning World Mixed Tag Team Champions; Tempest. With her share of the championship draped across her lap, she is wearing a burgundy tank top and tight denim jeans with tanned boots.

“Okay, I have to admit when Gabriel contacted me and told me to haul my ass to Pennsylvania because Mercer and I had a championship defense, I was lost. Like, completely. On one hand, a part of me thought that it was about damn time because these championships aren't amounting to much if they just get regulated to special events only status. Every other champion defends between Supercards, why not Austin and myself? Now I have my dream opponents where these titles are concerned. If Ben and Evie Jordan were to ever return, boom! Then of course, there's the London Underground. Any combination of the four would be the challenge that Mercer and I not only want, but deserve. I would have also supported Bella Madison and her mancake Malachi to get a shot but I understand he’s having a bit of trouble where he is right now.”

She tapped a forefinger to her arm, indicating the injury sustained by Malachi at the hands of a three-on-one attack elsewhere.

“Now that I think about it, we haven’t really been challenged since we defended against J2H and Crystal … Whatever. So many people out there assumed there would be new champions simply because J2H was involved in the match.”

She scrunched up her nose and shook her head ‘no.’

“But due credit to J2H, that one’s on Crystal. He was right when he said he could have found a much better partner than that narcissistic air head. Then I grew curious, wondering who would be the unlucky duo? Granted, the pool of challengers for these titles is shallow, and seemingly getting more shallow with each passing day, but -- I always hold out hope. I admit I kind of like the whole Lethal Lottery system that SCW uses to set the champions up with new and interesting challenges. They’ve come up with a few interesting combinations, like Kain and Mercedes Vargas. But … this? The team they did manage to put together and throw to the wolves? We could have had anybody. Myra Rivers. Fenris. Mac Bane. Seleana Zdunich… but instead…?”

“But this is the one thing that somebody out there is going to have to explain to me, because I am completely lost, is what the hell is Violet Amelia Holt doing in this match!? Now I watched Austin's promo and he gave the little girl some props and respect, but me? I guess I just don't see what it is that he sees. What do I see? I see a little girl who made her big triumphant return to wrestling - and couldn't get past her first match. I see a little girl who Bella Madison took to a draw in her big return. Then in her next outing? She didn't even try! She didn't show any interest or effort in her match against Johanna Krieger. You'd THINK against that bad ass chick, she'd put in SOME kind of effort but…!”

Tempest held her hand up and gave a curt shake of her head, clearly affronted.

“She didn’t, and she got what was coming to her. I haven’t been here as long as Violet. I’m still a rookie compared to her and the majority of this roster. But even I know enough to know if you don’t give it your all, if you don’t put in SOME effort, then you’re not going to get very far. In fact, you’ll go nowhere. And fast. And against the right, or in this case, wrong opponent, all the effort in the world isn’t going to do you a damn bit of good, girl. Face facts, Violet. You can talk as big as you want but the simple truth is you have no chance in the ring against me. Zero. Zilch. You may have the experience but I have the size. I have the strength. And I sure as hell have the edge where training is concerned. Now okay, I get that there have been ‘upsets’ happen where a much smaller wrestler has defeated an opponent two to three times there size…”

She curled her hand and ‘fake coughed’ into it.

“*coughs*Despayre!*coughs* But those are special cases, and Violet is anything but a special case.”

Tempest then took a moment’s pause and glanced upward thoughtfully.

“Unless we’re talking about mental state because if she actually thinks she has a chance at taking me down and out in the ring? Then that girl isn’t just troubled. She belongs in a padded cell. You know what Violet reminds me of, now that we’re on the subject?”

“Right. Exactly! One of these little ankle biters that will run up and bark and growl at something a hell of a lot bigger than they are and more often than not, get sent running away, tail tucked between the legs. That’s you, Violet. You might want to play it safe and try to avoid tagging in because we both know what the end result will be. Just let that partner of yours stay inside of the ring, and let him take the damage we both know is meant for you. It’s a lost cause anyway, so why sacrifice yourself? You seem the type who would throw her partner to the wolves anyway, so why not cut out the idle man and sit back and watch Austin have all the fun?”

“No offense, of course, Lincoln. But when we’re talking about dominance and who the bigger and better man is in this match? All the cards are in this corner, right here. I don’t have to worry about you or really, even consider you to be a part of this match because I have a partner who is going to pick you up and treat you like a child would a fly and pluck your wings off. Austin is the type of man, destined for greatness. He’s already a former World Champion and two-time Internet champion. And you…?”

She leaned forward with a cupped hand over her ear.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s the titles we hold right now, or getting back that World Championship. Austin has the world at his feet - which is appropriate because that is exactly where he’s going to leave you lying.”

Tempest slid off of the ring apron and took one last look into the camera.

“Play it smart, the both of you! Forfeit now and save yourselves a world of pain!”

Tempest then walked off camera and the screen slowly faded out to darkness.