Author Topic: Match Day!  (Read 294 times)

Offline Ben Jordan

• View Profile
Match Day!
« on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »
 Can ya tell I'm excited by the title?!?!

Friday 20th May - 6am.

Ben Jordan lays restlessly in bed, the sun slowly creeping through the window on this bright London morning. Ben rolls over, looking at an alarm clock to his left. He sighs deeply as he looks at the time and the camera moves around the room, to see a very simple set up, Ben laying on a comfortable looking double bed with leather headboard and false diamonds in it, a television sits to the left, next to a PS3 and PS4, an old looking computer tower next to that and a mini fridge. At the far end of the room is a clothes rail, completing the three hundred and sixty degress spin of the room, a chest of drawers is the last thing we see before spinning back towards Ben. He looks in the camera as it returns to him.

Ben: Now this might seem a little crazy to ya all, and ya might not get it but today is football day, and for an English geezer, football day is like no other if it's a big game, you can't sleep, the excitement is there, when ya in this situation where ya ninety minutes from Wembley for a play off final and another ninety minutes from promotion, you do get a big jumpy, get in touch with Jonesy, he'll tell ya about the buzz ya get on match day for a big game. You wait till next season when his blues takes on Villa, he'll be up all night excited like I am now.

Ben lets out a huge yawn.

Ben: Let's state here that when I say football, I mean real football. A lot of you are yanks watching this so to you guys, it's soccer, but I ain't calling it that. Anyway, we all do football days proper different, but I still get that buzz of going now like I did before as a kid, having a wander down the road to the Den with the family or friends, but today is a massive game for my Millwall boys, like massive so it adds to the excitement. What I'm gonna do is give you an insight in to what it's like to be a cockney travelling over to good ol' sarf London for a game. I'll show ya just how this bloke does it.

Ben rolls over and looks at the clock, looking at 6.04am on front of it's digital face.

Ben: Maybe in a couple of hours.

Ben rolls over in bed and closes his eye before springing back over.

Ben: Nah, not gonna happen, I'm like a kid at Christmas.

Ben fires himself up in bed, pushing the covers off his body and sliding his legs out of the bed and to the floor, naked from the waist up, but wearing Avengers boxer shorts on his lower half. He lets out a huge yawn.

Ben: Right, I'm gonna hit the shower, no you can't come with me as much as Jamie Dean has paid ya, just meet me at the top of the stairs in a bit and we'll start Ben Jordan's football day. Catch ya in a bit.

Ben stands up and moves off camera as the camera fades

The camera reopens again at the top of the stairs as Ben asked for, the camera lower down the stairs then Ben is, causing him to look down. Ben is now dressed in blue jeans and darker blue Millwall shirt, with white trainers.

Ben: Alright people. Football day over here always kicks off with a bit of grub, but first off, we gotta do something else. As you people know, I don't live over here anymore, so I need a place to stay, right?

Ben starts to walk on down a couple of steps, the camera moving with him.

Ben: So I'm staying here, at me nan's gaff.

Ben strolls down the stairs to and a turn to his left, walking in to a living room area, to his left, Ben's grandmother sits in a chair, her eyes moving over a newspaper. Ben moves to the side of her and plants a kiss on her cheek, causing her to jump.

Ben: Morning darlin'

Nan turns her head, looking at her smiling grandson

Nan: Coulda gave me a bloody heart attack sneaking up on me like that. Last thing I need is to go back to the hospital.

Ben: Sorry Nan.

Ben pokes his lower lip out but his grandmother smiles at him. Ben takes a seat in an arm chair nearby, looking across.

Nan: Want some coffee? I'll put the kettle on.

Ben puts his hands up, waving at her to sit down.

Ben: Behave love, you're eighty, I think I still know how to work the kettle and stuff in a minute. How ya feeling today?

Nan: I'm alright, how are you feeling?

Ben: Nervous as all hell love. I'm tanking it Nan. Haven't been this jumpy in a long bloody time.

Nan: You was there the last time and it all turned out alright.

Ben: I know girl, and I know it's a better team this time around, but my 'aris is going like the clappers. Flying in from Japan for this.

Nan: Well you must be barmy for that, would have been somewhere on there for you to watch it.

Ben: Yeah but it's not the same. The Den is gonna be absolutely rocking, sold out, people going ape shit, I couldn't not be there, even if it means a few extra lighter hairs and no voice by the time I get back to Japan.

Nan: Let's hope they don't make you talk on camera when you get back.

Ben: I hope not love, if I do, I'll sound like Alvin or one of his chipmunk mates. Not gonna be able to speak for days after this one.

Nan: So what's the plan considering you usually go to football with people and it's not Saturday.

Ben: I know, everyone at work, but I'll go do it all meself girl.

Ben's grandmother looks at Ben with lowered eyebrows

Ben: Unless you wanna come with me sweetheart. Hit the bookies, the boozer, and south London.

Nan: Getting a bit too old for that.

Ben: Oi listen love, if you can yell at The Chase, Tipping Point and the other quiz shows, you can yell at the referee for being a wanker.

A smile crosses Nan's face.

Nan: I think I'll leave that one to you, just promise me not to get involved if you lot decide to riot tonight.

Ben's face turns to false shock as his hand moves across his chest.

Ben: Us? Riot? Whatever do you mean grandmother dear?

A smile crosses Ben's face as he leans forward in his chair.

Nan: Years ago, you was forever coming back home with black eyes and cuts because Millwall didn't win at home.

Ben: Well we haven't had a full riot at home since the Birmingham game years ago.

Ben clinches his fists and turns to the camera.

Ben: Still can't stand you Stern John! Jonesy knows what I mean with this one

Ben turns back to his grandmother.

Ben: But I wouldn't worry too much, I mean I don't think there'll be a riot after this one. I could be wrong. Pitch invasion, certainly, but I don't think we'll be kicking many police horses tonight, and most of the Bradford fans will come down by coach anyway. Shouldn't be any hassle.

Ben stands up and looks at his nan.

Ben: But I better get me arse in gear love, not football day without hitting a few places first.

Ben kisses his grandmother on the cheek.

Nan: Be safe.

Ben winks at his grandmother.

Ben: Always darling. I'll be home at a decent time.

Nan: Yeah, yeah, I'll see ya in the morning.

Ben: You know me so well nan. Catch ya a little later.

Ben turns and moves in to the hallway, the camera in front of him.

Ben: Right, on to stop one of the football day. It's goes down a treat, looks great covered in grease and I ain't talking about any bombshells here.

Ben winks at the camera as it fades out.

The camera restarts outside an old looking building with the faded words "Harry's Cafe" written on a sign. Wearing what he was wearing earlier, with now an added leather jacket, Ben looks down the camera.

Ben: Well, what did you think I meant? It's not a football day without putting some grease in ya. The full English breakfast is the perfect way to kick off a match day. It's not like most people just go to the game and go home, not at Millwall anyway, we do the entire match day thing and this is where it starts for most of us, in a greasy spoon.

Ben points at the cafe behind him.

Ben: Gonna need that grease to hit the right spots because trust me, the beer, the copious amounts of beer that's gonna end up down ya by the end of the game, and the insane amounts after if you win.

Ben taps his chin.

Ben: Or lose come to think of it. Either way, getting a good start is essential people. So excuse me for just a little bit.

Ben turns and walks in the door, the door shutting behind him. Here's where the modern technological age kicks in as Ben walks out of the door forty minutes later, yet only mere seconds on the camera time. Ben rubs his mid section as he walks out of there, looking at the camera.

Ben: Now that's the right way to kick off the day, it's all about being smart people. This is the first hit of the three hit attack before the game, always do the three hit attack, always. Let's move on to the next shall we?

Ben walks off camera as the time in the bottom corner of the screen moves up by forty minutes, taking the time up to 10.30am. The camera cuts from the cafe to Ben standing outside a church, the church in the background.

Ben: Part two for the how I do match day is pretty much right here.

Ben looks behind him to see the church behind him but quickly shakes his head.

Ben: Look, I know I'm nervous as all hell, and think divine intervention might help my Millwall lot today, but no, behave, we're not at the point of asking for miracles. If we let in an early goal then I just might be, but right now, not just yet. I'm talking about getting me arse across the road there.

Ben points across the road to a blue shop with the word "Coral" above the door. The camera turns back to Ben.

Ben: It's a bookies mate.

Ben looks either side for traffic before deeming it safe to cross the road. He hurries quickly across the road, making it safely on the other side, followed by the camera. He turns to face the camera as he gets outside the door of the bookmakers.

Ben: You might think that there won't be a lot of footy on today, with it being Friday and the season over give or take a few finals to be played but there's bundles around Europe and a few horses having a little trot about. Always gotta get on in the bookies and throw a few quid down before going to the games.

Ben wags a finger at the camera.

Ben: But here's some blinding info for you lovely people, never bet on ya own team. Doesn't matter if ya the heavy faves, scoring thirty goals in ten games, and the other team has scored none in ten games, if you bet on ya own team, you will lose one nil, trust this bloke, it's happened a lot. Right, back with ya in a bit people, but you won't even notice.

Ben turns and walks in the door of the bookmakers and the clock in the corner rushes forward to 11.30am. Ben strolls out, a not so happy look on his face as he rips up betting slips.

Ben: The luck isn't in for this guy but I did not bet on Millwall. Lee Gregory to score first at 4-1 ain't a bad shout for any of ya with the gambling bone in ya.

Ben fires a double thumbs up towards the camera.

Ben: Right, that's the second thing ya do on a football day if ya me, third thing is me fave, oh yes people, it's time to hit the boozer and the boozer has just opened. Now be aware people, it's not even mid day yet so drink a little slower yeah? We all know what happens when we've been on the piss all day and going to a football match, just look at Wigan at Wembley, that was not fun. Anyway, little fast forward thing if you please.

The camera cuts out from outside the bookmakers and restarts outside a pub with the name "The Lord Nelson." Ben waves his finger at the camera.

Ben: We know you people have been here before, when I've been in England before, I brought ya here. Remember the Motown night a little while ago here? Yep, same place, close to me nan's place. Should give ya the heads up that it will probably be a little bit more quieter in here now that it was then.

Ben reaches up, pushing the door open. He steps inside to see one man sitting at the bar, and a man behind the bar. Ben quickly turns to the camera

Ben: If you remember the last time you was here, his name is Nigel... He supports Middlesboro and pronouncing no as now, but off track here.... Bloody hell, I've turned in to Melody Grace.

Ben winks at the camera.

Ben: Pay me for the name drop later.... Or let me win at FIFA, either one.

Ben turns back, looking around the bar.

Ben: Quieter than I expected.

The man at the end of the bar quickly pipes up.

Man: Hide everything, Millwall's here.

Ben looks at the man, giving him a quick thumbs up.

Ben: We come out of hiding on days like these.

The man gives Ben a thumbs up, but Ben's voice catches Nigel's attention, causing him to turn around.

Nigel: Hello mate, back home for the football?

Ben breathes deep and nods.

Ben: Yes mate, got back yesterday from Japan, here for the game and out early tomorrow afternoon back to Japan, get there in time to work the show out there, then probably back to Havana or something for the week.

Nigel: Bloody hell.

Ben: Tell me about it. If it wasn't me own plane, I'd be racking up the old air miles for shit and giggles.

Nigel smiles at Ben.

Nigel: Fosters?

Ben: Yes please Nige, can't get used to that Japanese beer, lot of it made out of rice.

Nigel gives Ben a strange look as he points the Fosters glass under the beer tap and starts to pour. Ben waits patiently as the glass fills. Nigel puts the glass in front of Ben.

Nigel: Wanna start a tab?

Ben: Gotta be joking mate. Last time I started a tab in here, cost me hundreds.

Nigel smiles widely, thinking of that day.

Nigel: Well you did say everyone you knew could drink on it.

Ben: How pissed was I?

Nigel: All over the place.

Ben: Better just pay this time in cash.

Ben reaches in to his pocket and pulls out a note, handing it to Nigel, who turns and makes his way to the till. Nigel moves back towards Ben, handing him the change as Ben picks up the full pint glass in his hand. Nigel turns to serve the only other man in the pub as Ben turns to the camera.

Ben: Never underestimate the importance of hitting the boozer before the football. Usually, it's filled with a bunch of lads talking loudly at each other and getting ya in the banter mood but at times like this, it's a chance to gather ya thoughts and breathe a bit, especially with a game like this, especially with so much on the line, especially when the nerves are kicking ya that much, nice calming pint of four will take the nerves and turn them in to a relaxing state of mind. Very important to be go to these things relaxed, or riots break out all over the place.

Ben takes a gulp of the cold beer.

Ben: Relaxation in a glass. Anyway people, that's my three steps to building up to match day. I'm going to the ground after a peaceful day, and now it's down to the team. This is how I do match day every time. Alright, I admit on a Saturday, ya usually get a few of the lads out but they're at work and I ain't so must suck to be those lot.

Ben grins

Ben: Right, if you lot wanna time jump again and catch me at the station, that'll be great. Pretty sure no one wants to continue to see me drink. Go on then... Get!

Ben waves the away and the camera fades to black.

The sign for an English underground station can be seen with the word "Surrey Quays" on as a few people pile out of the station. Behind them, Ben Jordan strolls out, breathing in deeply in the evening air as he starts his short walk to The Den in Bermonsey, South London on the all important play off second leg as his beloved Millwall go in to the game three one up from the away leg. He turns left outside of the station and starts to walk and talk.

Ben: Alright people.

Ben smiles as be walks down the street

Ben: Well it's here, and it's almost game time, we got an hour till kick off and the nerves are a little less at this point, so to me, this would be the perfect time to cut me promo thing and talk about my match on Sunday.

Ben takes a deep breath.

Ben: I know this is not an ideal scenario with all the travelling while I face a little bit of an unknown on the SCW roster. I know ya reap what ya sow and I was the one who made the challenge for this one. People said I was barmy for doing it and I get why cause I was the guy that openly called out Samuel McPherson to actually have a one on one match, something he's really not used to doing, but I made that choice on me Jack Jones to actually do this.

Ben stops at a small road, looking for traffic before deeming it safe to walk across.

Ben: I was the one that's been getting the messages saying I'm out of me box for putting myself in the position against a geezer who doesn't do many, if any, single matches in SCW because he's more comfortable holding Raab's hand in the ring. I get that, I understand that, because people ain't stupid, they know it's gonna go one of two ways. Either Sammy is gonna sit there and crumble, nerves get the better of him and he's gonna freeze under the lights, or he's gonna come out there swinging like a caged beast and try and get it done quick so he can go back to being as comfortable as he likes to be. I get that Raab and Samuel for some odd reason don't like being out of their comfort zones, everything about them screams this with everything they have. They're not used to stepping out of their comfort zones, and this is why I did it.

Ben stops at a zebra crossing as cars come down from his left hand side. A car stops and Ben puts his hand up in thanks towards the driver and moves across the road, past the little island in the middle and to the other side, before moving to his left and taking a right turn, crossing another road and walking along by a train line to his left and houses to his right.

Ben: Now don't think I did this just because I'm evil and all that stuff, really not the case people, I didn't do it to play games with Samuel because for the first time in his career, he and he alone is standing in the spotlight, while Raab sits around biting his nails, not my kinda game. I did it cause I believe in being fair and these fellas wanted a hardcore tag team match at Into The Void for the SCW Tag Team championships, and that is not really what me and JD are all about. We're wrestlers, we don't use chairs, tables, barbed wire and all that jazz, we don't go out there and try and make someone bleed like you two did to me, giving me a new war wound, that ain't us. We go out to entertain the people who pay their money to come see us do what we do. Anyone can swing a chair and get a reaction out of the crowd but what me and Jamie do gets reaction without being chair swinging monsters so your request had to be equalled. If you're pulling us out of our zone, then fairs fair about you in your zone.

Ben smiles as he can hear fans in front of him singing "No one likes us, we don't care, we are Millwall, Super Millwall, we are Millwall, from the Den."

Ben: Love it! Anyway, I had to make sure that things wasn't stacked so far towards you guys so I had to make the challenge, it was the right thing to do to get you to come have a go at us Samuel, to see if you had what it takes to break through your comfort zone and you are going to. Part of me is a little bit proud that you're actually doing it, that you're stepping in to the light yourself and actually having just a straight up normal one on one match in my comfort zone. It's no secret that I'm a decorated singles guy and if ya listen to Tommy Knocks, he's crying out for me to end up at the top of the ranks as a single guy, cheers Tommy, so Samuel, this must make you see that the advantage sits with me rather than you.

Ben continues to walk past three women, who see him and whisper and point, all three wearing Millwall shirts.

Ben: No need to stop for selfies today, Millwall fans don't do selfies on match day, on the way to the games, even the birds. It just ain't the Wall way.

Ben smiles as he comes to a railway bridge, stepping in to slight darkness and his voice echoing around.

Ben: I plan on taking full advantage of everything Samuel, absolutely everything. I got a point to prove here meself mate. The fact is, I have opened the cage with the monster inside, I reached down and lifted the lock and set you free and I need to prove that I can tame that beast, that I can live up to me billing, that I can show you all that I didn't just commit suicide by making this challenge. I gotta show that I can reap what I sow and Samuel mate, I intend to do that.

Ben exits the tunnel, his voice less echoey

Ben: This is a warm up to what's gonna happen in a couple of weeks, but on my terms, not yours. This is a chance to get one over on ya and get in ya melon a little bit. Jamie took care of Raab not too long ago, and I gotta do the same with you or I'm gonna look like a right bellend, a complete tosser and I hate looking like a proper bellend. Not cool to be one of those mate, so I'm gonna work to tame the beast, I'm gonna do all I can to show ya that I deserve to be a champion.

Ben walks through a second railway bridge tunnel, his voice returning to an echo.

Ben: This is me using my chance to get in your head Sammy, cause when I beat ya, you'll see that you couldn't beat me, Raab couldn't beat Jamie and as a collective, you couldn't be us as a team to claim the Tag Team Championships. You'll see that the only advantage you'd have going in to the match at Into The Void V would be because you have weapons to use. Gotta make ya wonder if ya real wrestlers or just crazy arse bar fighters really. Advantage might be with you in the match but mentally, you'll know it that we've already got ya beat.

Ben walks outside of the tunnel again, walking alongside more train lines and an overgrown grass area on the other side.

Ben: Once I take care of ya on Sunday mate, when ya look across the ring at Into The Void V, you'll see those two guys that have beat ya in every way we possibly could and all we'd have to do is beat ya in your own domain and me personally, can't speak for Jamie but I'm looking forward to it. It adds another string to my bow to survive a hardcore arse kicking and come out a winner.

Ben strolls on a little to see The Den in the not too far distance. A wide smile breaks out on his face as he see streams of other people, dressed in blue and yellow, making their way through the gates and towards the stadium.

Ben: And here I am. Sammy, I'm hoping tonight that my boys here get the win, just like I will when I'm in the ring with you on Sunday. Thanks for stepping out of Raab's shadow mate, but there's only one bloke that's gonna walk out winning this one son, and it's me.

Ben starts to walk towards the rest of the Millwall fans heading in to the stadium area.

Ben: Anyway, time to join the masses, pray for us people, I'll be an unhappy Ben if we don't win, you don't wanna see a unhappy Ben, do ya?

Ben pouts out his lower lip before smiling.

Ben: Gotta run. Laters people

Ben winks at the camera as it fades out for the last time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:34:07 AM by Mark Ward »
>

Cockney King.
SCW World Heavyweight Champion
SCW Internet Champion
SCW Roulette Champion
SCW Tag Team Champion (3x)
SCU Underground champion
ACW's only Triple Crown Champion.
Super J Cup Winner 2013.
Twitter: @CockneyKingBen