Author Topic: Asterisk the Sixth: Back to Basics  (Read 320 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Asterisk the Sixth: Back to Basics
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »
 S|C|E|N|E| 001
[S U S P E N S I O N |O F | D I S B E L I E F]

“It's a good night to be right.”

Scene opens backstage where Mercedes is being interviewed just after Climax Control 92 was in the books. In one hand, she holds up the contract that she had won tonight in the ladder match as part of the Going for the Gold Tournament. It was a hard fought match between herself, Traci Patterson and Trishelle Jordan, but in the end, she was the one that stood above the rest. In the other hand is her own checklist.

Cameraperson: Congratulations on the win tonight, Mercedes. Now you find yourself in the four-way match for the Bombshell Roulette Championship at Violent Conduct II not to mention the two-on-one hanicap match with Zuri and Blanca. Two matches in one night. How do you even begin to focus with the supershow just three weeks away?

Mercedes: Don't worry your pretty little head. I'm as ready as I've ever been for the Cheapstains and the Bombshell Roulette Championship four-way. It's not everyday that an international such as yours truly gets to pull double duty, and, come on, let's face it. SCW is begging for a whole lot of Mercy, and that's exactly what they're going to get in three weeks in Yuma, Arizona.

Cameraperson: I want to go back to Zuri and Blanca for a second. Earlier tonight they offered a stipulation to your upcoming match. Care to respond to their challenge?

Mercedes: Zuri and Blanca still running their mouths? Why am I not surprised? I know there this whole conspiracy going on that the Mean Girls cheat in their own matches and all that jazz, but really? This is starting to become silly. Now, I may be getting up there in age, but I'm almost sure, almost sure, that I have never cheated in a match since I set foot here. 14 months, ok? Never cheated in a match. Ever. But if Zuri and Blanca wants me to come alone, that's fine. I'm totally OK with it. Because I won't need any backup against Thing 1 and Thing 2 at Violent Conduct II. The odds may be against me, but you know something? I like to think those odds are in my favor. Oh, almost forgot.

Mercedes smiles as she holds up her checklist. The camera closes in on the list of names as she crosses off the names of Trishelle Jordan and Traci Patterson, with the words “X5” next to Traci's, obviously keeping a running tally of their previous matches between the two-time and former tag team champions. The camera peels back to frame Mercedes as she replaces her pen.

Mercedes: Just like Traci and Trish learned tonight, no one crosses Mercedes Vargas. And Zuri and Blanca are going to find out that lesson, first hand. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go meet up with Delia and the rest of the girls for a celebration of our victory. Ta ta for now.

Mercedes turns away and it is here where our scene fades to black.

• • •

[REC •]

“Suspension of disbelief. That's a pretty cool term.”

Scene opens on a splash page of a comic book. In fact, it's a very familiar comic book. Based off the  Delia Darling vs. Roxi Johnson Comic Book Into the Void III Limited Edition Poster (which you can purchase from the SCW shop for, wait for it...$9.99!), the camera pans up from the comic to a smiling Mercedes.. She is seen sitting on the veranda of her cousin's home in Santa Monica.

“There is this thing in comics called suspension of disbelief. It's a literary term. Kind of like us and what we do for a living. Sure, wrestling is scripted, sure it's choreographed, but it sure isn't ballet. People do get hurt. It comes with the territory, you know? Climax Control 92, Trish needed medical attention after falling from that ladder, and Traci went through a stack of tables on the outside. They will feel that in morning. As a matter of fact, they're going to feel that the entire week. But for the most part, people are supposed to turn a blind eye and we have a little fun at our expense. Suspension of disbelief.

“Wrestling, literature, even comic books are all under this wonderful convention. Now, as you can see, I'm actually reading the very first edition of Mean Girls comics...”

Mercedes closes the comic, revealing the cover.

“And I have to say, my belief was suspended, for a little bit. Because in the cold, cruel, world, Delia defeated Roxi Johnson in the wrestling ring. Some of you may have suspended your belief that Roxi would win, but she ended up looking up at the arena lights. Maybe she forgot to eat all her veggies, say her prayers, and take her vitamins, I don't know. What I can tell you is that it's probably one of her toughest losses to date. Into the Void III, almost two months ago, is probably a night she would want to forget. But I'm sure Delia won't forget it, and neither will the rest of the Mean Girls.

Mercedes shrugs, a smile on her face.

“You and Cyrus. Suspension of disbelief. We knew then that you went and tried to fool everyone, but I didn't buy it, not one bit. When you turned on the only person who quite literally gave a damn about you. Purely suspension of disbelief. Hell, even when your reigns as Bombshell Champion, you thought you were going to set the world on fire, and everyone would take you as a threat.

I guess what they say is true after all: You should never meet your heroes, you'll end up disappointed. How long did you think it was going to last, Roxi? How long before you gave up on playing charades and caved in? How long did it take you to finally reach that moment of clarity?

“Suspension of disbelief, right?

“Since that night at Into the Void III, when you went from hero to zero, I'm sure you're going to be out for a little justice, am I right? Justice. It's a word that means a lot of things to different people. It's about respect, it's about morals, it's about playing by the rules, playing fair, being impartial.

“Some seem to take it on a personal level. An eye for an eye. Retribution. Vindication. Revenge. No matter what the setting. A courtroom, at the job, or even at the local supermarket, we expect to be treated fairly. But then, that's what superheroes do, right, Roxi? The whole justice thing is like a moral code or something that you live by.

“At least when it comes to Sin City Wrestling.

“But, see, Roxi, this goes beyond the quote-unquote greater good, this goes beyond right and wrong in SCW, justice is something personal. At Climax Control, I'm about making this right for myself.

Since the day I signed a contract with this company, I expected that I would be treated just like everyone else on the roster. I expected to be treated no different than anyone else in this promotion. I expected to at least become a rising star, just as I have in other promotions, including the one you and I just left prior to coming here.

From what I've seen so far, justice has been thrown out the window and replaced by the most obnoxious Herculean tasks we've had to witness with that lovable rogue. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Gabriel Stevens. From fighting opponents deemed way below him, to being fired along with Odette unjustly by Christian, you have to feel sorry for him. He's just trying to get what he deserves from SCW. He wasn't expecting to be someone's rodeo clown just to make a roster spot.

This is not what he signed up for. This is not justice.

Or take me, for example. You probably think that I'm your foil that you're trying to finally bring to justice for all the "wrongdoing" I've done to you, and to a greater extent, Keira, over the years.

But what about me?

What about Mercedes?

Where is my justice? That's because there isn't any. That's because unlike me, you're Teflon, you're untouchable. The people cheer you because you're their hero. Management loves you because you're their champion. You can do no wrong, especially in the eyes of SCW management. Before then when you were with Cyrus, I suppose he allowed you out of your room or maybe sneaked out of the house to go on your merry adventures, but that's a moot point now. You no longer have him to deal with.

“Because you've got the Mean Girls now.

“Your  brand of justice was holding on to that Bombshell Championship for as long as you can and the funny thing is you never really deserve to be champion in the first place. And you just about ruined the title a second time, by ulterior motives. That doesn't sound like something a hero would do, does it, Roxi?

“At Climax Control 93, I'm going to finally get what I deserve, and that's justice. And justice is beating you. Beating you is when justice will be finally served, with a side order of kicking your ass and a large drink of "I told you so.

“In real life, Roxi, there are no superheroes. It's a myth, just like you. You claim to be a superhero, and even that is questionable. I don't label myself "super", but you can bet your ass I am powerful. And there's just one more thing you need to understand.

I claim nothing, I prove everything.

“Sunday, we're going to prove once again that art does not imitate life. But for you, if you want to live in that magical word where your belief is suspended. By all means, take my foolish advice.”

Mercedes picks up the comic book as she looks at the glossy page then back at the camera.

“Take up a comic book. You'll be glad you did.”

Fade

• • •

S|C|E|N|E| 002
[I F |U| S E E K| A M Y]

[REC •]

Scene opens inside a local laundry mat. Mercedes leans against a vending machine drinking a can of Pepsi while listening to the words coming from her iPod. Carmen enters the laundry mat, carrying another load of laundry from her car. She instantly turns to her cousin who is singing along to the music. Carmen waves at her, getting her attention.

Carmen: Hey, who sing this song?

Mercedes: (pulling off her earbuds) Oh, it's 21 by Taylor Swift.

Carmen nods sagely.

Carmen: Oh really? You should probably let them sing it.

Mercedes: Ouch. You hurt my feelings.

Carmen puts on a fake smile before she turns and pushes the trolley to the big washing machine.

• • •

”There comes a point where the same joke told over and over again starts to get a little stale. That's kind of like us, Amy. Every time we get in the ring, 99 times out of a 100, I usually beat you. It's academic. No need to sugarcoat it. I'm just that much better than you – whether you hold a championship or not. Apparently, SCW wants  to milk this so-called rivalry for all it's worth, but why even bother?”

“Amy, you and Jessie, better hold on tight to those tag titles for as long as you can, because Liz and Ronnie are going to rip them away from your hands. In other words, The Mean Girls are going to “rock you like a hurricane.” And once the damage is done, you'll know that we are for real.”

“But then again, I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.”

• • •

S|C|E|N|E| 003
[T A L E S| F R O M | T H E| D A R K S I D E]

[REC •]

”You know what's sad? I'll tell you what's sad. How Amy, Roxi, and Misty is going into this match knowing full well that they're going to be embarrassed once again. No matter what the outcome is, Misty, those tag titles are coming to the Mean Girls, and there isn't anything you can do about it, except watch in shock and awe as everything that you built in this division comes crumbling down like a stack of cards.”

“Now, Misty, you and I, up until this point, have had only one match in SCW. We barely know each other. We've been in different circles in our careers, achieved success in our careers. And we're both getting there in age. Listen, I know the other girls have given you a hard time for months, and Liz and Delia have driven you up the wall. It's because they want you to make that mistake, Misty.

“Out of the six of us, though, the Mean Girls? Out of the six of us, I'm the only one trying to talk good sense into you. I'm the only one who's looking out for your best interest. I'm the only one who cares about you and the legacy that you're trying to keep. I'm the only one telling you what don't already know. Misty, you don't want to make this mistake.

“If you're not going to do it for me, do it for your family. Do it for Spike. I know you two are separated, but can you imagine if he were to see you crumpled on that mat knowing full well he couldn't do anything about it? He would be broken. If you won't do it for me, if you won't do it for the mean girls, if you won't do it for Spike, then do it for your sisters. You probably haven't visited them for awhile. If you won't do it for me, if you won't do it for the mean girls if you won't do it for spike, if you won't do it for your sisters, then do it for your precious daughter. Do it for Eden, Misty. You would do anything for your child, wouldn't you? Could you deal with the tears streaming down her face while  watching you getting beatdown. It would break her little  six-year old heart.

“We all make mistakes in life, Misty. I've made mistakes, so have you. But this? This right here could be the biggest mistake of your career, let alone your life. Once you cross that line, once you cross the Rubicon, sweetheart, there's no turning back, there's no point of return, there's just you and the trouble coming your way.

“Everything that you once had, will be gone. The Bombshell Division will be in shambles, and as for you, the least we could do is pack you up in a moving van with all the relics and send you away, because we're nice like that.

“I guess what I'm trying to say is, Misty, this war is over. We may not have started it, but we damn sure are going to end it. And when the smoke is cleared, the dust settles, the battle lines are drawn...

“The Mean Girls will look out into that battlefield and see nothing but casulties, and you, Amy, and Roxi, are just the first.

“And with the victory, the spoils will belong to us.

“Sorry, not sorry.“
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:10:14 AM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)