Author Topic: Start of a New Adventure...  (Read 886 times)

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
Start of a New Adventure...
« on: February 17, 2023, 11:51:30 PM »
~The picture slowly opens up on what appears to be some sort of warehouse. We can see a few dark figures in the distance, not moving, as the camera slowly turns around to show the garage door in the back. It begins to raise, bringing some light into the equation. Standing behind the door, revealed, is a man wearing grey coveralls and a dark grin. He's a man well-known in some circles, still a mystery in others. He is "The Mechanic" Peter Vaughn.~

Peter Vaughn: Good evening, Sin City.

~Vaughn steps forward, entering the warehouse, and walks directly towards the camera. He acknowledges it with a nod, showing that he's talking straight to the viewers watching at home. This doesn't happen very often, so you can tell Vaughn is doing things slightly different in his debut here tonight.~

Peter Vaughn: I've heard a lot about you, SCW. There's been a great deal of talk about how great the competition is here, from men and women I trust to not lie to me. But I don't know how much you've heard about me, Sin City. So how about we have a refresher course before we really start going?

~As the garage door begins to shut again, Vaughn walks forward towards where a first spotlight has come on, highlighting one of the figures. Surprisingly, it appears to be a smiling cut-out of Vaughn himself, from his younger days.~

Peter Vaughn: Let's start with this piece of work: Peter "The Janitor" Vaughn. This is the man I was known as for years, the happy-go-lucky custodian who always lost his matches and rarely put up much against any of his competition. I was a goofball who didn't care about the sport. I was a man with no fighting spirit. I was a complete, irredeemable loser.

~Vaughn sighs, disgusted by the sight of that smile on The Janitor's face. He reaches behind the cut-out, picking up a tool off the ground. On first glance, it appears to be a grinder with a chainsaw attachment added onto it, a unique tool, to be sure. Vaughn turns back to the camera.~

Peter Vaughn: That man? He's no more.

~The grinder chainsaw comes to life, roaring in the echo-filled space of the warehouse. Vaughn expertly uses it to cut off the head of the cut-out, then adds more and more shreds as he passes through it again and again. Soon, there's very little left of the cut-out, as Vaughn turns the improvised tool back off and sets it down. He begins walking again.~

Peter Vaughn: Things changed in late 2021. I fell under the... tutelage of a man I once worked for, Jonathan Barrows. He had some... unique ideas on how to change my trajectory in the business. These methods... tore the Janitor apart. For a while, I don't know exactly who I was, other than someone who was a danger to anyone and everyone around him. There were a few... incidents... that are best not repeated. Suffice to say... I went a little mad.

~Vaughn stops in front of a newly-spotlighted cutout, this one showing a much more deranged-looking Peter Vaughn. There's something about the look on the cutout's face that's quite frankly unsettling. The real-life Vaughn stares at this version of him for a few extra seconds, contemplating how far he's come, before reaching down and picking up a butane torch. It again appears to be custom-designed to fit what Vaughn is looking for, as he's able to spark it on with one motion, bringing the flame up towards his face.~

Peter Vaughn: But then, we all go a little mad sometimes, don't we?

~With one motion, Vaughn sets the cutout ablaze. There must have been some added accelerant added, because it goes up fairly quickly. Vaughn steps away, putting down the torch, as the insane version disappears into smoke and ash. Vaughn then walks on, headed to the third cutout.~

Peter Vaughn: It took me a little time to pull myself back together. Some would say I'm still working on it. But I'm a lot less crazed than I once was. I found the balance between those two selves, positioning myself as a new man: The Mechanic. With him, I've gone on to win five World Championships in five different feds. I've been to the top almost everywhere I've gone in the last year.

~Vaughn steps up to the final cutout, which is a shot of a smiling Mechanic holding three world titles at the same time. This Vaughn looks posed and confident, with no signs of the insecurity or insanity of the previous two. The real Vaughn seems to smile at this likeness, enjoying the look of the championships in view. After a few seconds, though, Vaughn's smile falters. He turns, reaching behind the cutout, and pulls out a heavily-modified sledgehammer, complete with nails embedded in it. Vaughn considers it, before looking at the 'best' version of himself.~

Peter Vaughn: But here and now, this one is moving into ancient history.

~Vaughn rears back, smashing the cutout directly in the center of the chest. It basically explodes from the impact, sending scraps flying everywhere. Vaughn throws in a few more shots for good measure, making sure everything's destroyed, before turning back to the camera.~

Peter Vaughn: You see, my coming into SCW means that I'm starting from scratch once again. I'm not going to get handed respect here, even if I do have allies here. I'm going to have to earn it. And that means... I'm going to need to destroy every single person that's sent against me. The climb to the top? It starts again... today. Thus endeth the lesson.

~Vaughn drops the sledgehammer, which makes a loud crashing noise on the ground. He walks away, as the camera pans back and forth, taking in all of the destruction contained in this warehouse. We slowly cut away.~

~After a few seconds, the camera comes back on, showing a clear blue sky. Something seems different about it, though, as the camerawork seems pretty shaky. After a few seconds, we understand why, as the view changes, showing that we appear to be falling out of this clear blue sky, towards the earth below. The shot moves, getting closer to a group of individuals who are taking the same plunge. The camera is able to get below, shooting up, and showing that at least one of these falling angels appears to be Peter Vaughn. He is falling in tandem with another man, strapped in behind him. The man makes a motion, and Vaughn reacts immediately, pulling his rip cord. The parachute opens, with Vaughn quickly disappearing upwards.~

~After a few seconds, we cut to a different shot, showing us Vaughn having landed inside a small clearing, already working to get himself detached. The man behind him pats him on the shoulder, pleased with how things went.~

Man: That was a brilliant display for your first time, Mr. Vaughn. Some people have panic attacks on their way down, but you clearly weren't affected at all.

Peter Vaughn: I'm kind of used to falling out of the sky, Phil. I'm just not used to the parachute being there.

~Phil laughs, turning away, although Vaughn doesn't look like he was joking. He shrugs, looking around and seeing the other two chutes making their way in. The first tandem lands nearby, tumbling to the ground upon landing. Vaughn, surprised, hurries over, clearing away the chute as the two people try to pull themselves up.~

Peter Vaughn: You okay, Thomas?

Thomas Hill: Oh, God, that was terrifying!!

~Vaughn worked to disconnect his half-brother from his guide, unclipping him. Vaughn found out about Thomas last year, learning that his mother had started a new life after leaving his father, creating a new family. That made Thomas one of the few family members Vaughn had left.~

Thomas Hill: Seriously, I thought we were going to be pancakes! I didn't think Bobby was going to open the chute in time!

Bobby: I signaled YOU to do it! I had to pull my reserve chute, you froze up there!

Thomas Hill: I did not! I just... was enjoying myself too much. Yeah, that's it...

~Bemused, Vaughn turns and looks at the final duo coming down. This one is made up of two ladies, and they land effortlessly in the center of the clearing. Vaughn walks over to them, with a limping Thomas following behind.~

Peter Vaughn: Enjoy the ride, Samantha?

Sammy Mitchell: I told you already, Peter, it's Sammy, not Samantha. And yes, I enjoyed the hell out of that! We never get to do anything like that back in Clarksville!

~Vaughn nods, glad that she's enjoying herself. In a strange twist of fate, Vaughn learned about Sammy's existence from a DNA test that Thomas had taken, showing familiar connections. Sammy turned out to be a half-sister for Vaughn, on his father's side, thanks to his dad needing to do anything to keep up being a sole parent in a tough economy. Namely, he sold himself to a sperm bank. Vaughn's still learning to connect with his new relative at this point, which led to today's impromptu adventure.~

Sammy Mitchell: So is this where we're camping for the night, Kennedy?

~The other guide turns to look at them, smiling.~

Kennedy: No, we'll need to hike a little bit to get up a little higher. But we're not far. So everyone grab your bags and get your gear together!

~She moves off, talking with the other guides, while Vaughn and Sammy head over to where Thomas has taken a seat.~

Sammy Mitchell: You survive the fall, Tommy?

Thomas Hill: It's not the fall that concerned me. It was the landing.

Peter Vaughn: Well, you survived it, and I didn't even have to kick you out of the plane, so be proud.

Thomas Hill: I still don't get this trip. If we wanted to 'bond' as family, couldn't we have gone to Las Vegas or something?

Sammy Mitchell: Where's the fun in that?

Peter Vaughn: You heard her. Now get up, let's get moving. Who knows how much daylight we have left.

Thomas Hill: Ahhh, man...

~Thomas reluctantly gets up, sighing, as they all start getting their stuff together for the next portion of the adventure. As they do so, none of them notice two eyes glinting at them from the darkness of the trees nearby, seemingly watching them.~

I'm always up for a new adventure.

Seems like I'm going to get one here in Sin City. The funny thing is, my original plan was just to watch my occasional friend Mac Bane win the championship. But then I saw Matthew Knox, and some old rage that I had kept bottled up managed to escape, and well, you saw the result. I figured Knoxsey would want a piece of me after that, and I was ready for it... but then he left. A true bummer.

I found myself needing to make a choice: did I interfere in a PPV just to leave without fighting anyone? Hell no. That's not my style. There are plenty of people here I've never fought, and I would hate to miss that opportunity when it's been presented to me.

Of course, that brings me to you, Miles. The first offering placed before me.

It's intriguing. Usually, when you first enter a federation, you're fed some of their worst wrestlers. When I went into the XWF, they made me fight a Literal Gorilla. I kid you not. But for some reason, I put my name on the dotted line for SCW, and they set me up to fight a former Roulette Champion. A man who was near the top of his game just a few months ago. A guy who should be in 'protected' status, and yet here we are, scheduled for my SCW debut.

I could look at that as an insult, but honestly, I see it as a show of respect. I suppose my notoriety is beginning to spread, as they knew that pitting me against a weakling would be a waste of effort. They want to see what I can really do. Hey, I can respect that. I'm all for facing a stiff challenge right out of the gate.

I have to wonder, though, Miles: are you still the challenge you seem?

I watched some video clips of your match against the Internet Champion, Alexander Raven. I saw how that ended, with you passing out in the Conspiracy. It was a pretty rough loss. Is that the reason you're curtain jerking against me? Has your confidence taken a hit, as you couldn't win another championship? Damn, I hope that's not the case. It would suck to get in there, expecting a massive battle, and having you turn into a wet noodle and give me nothing to work with.

You're supposed to be a cocky bastard. I'm hoping to see that at the show.

I know, you're hurting. The man you beat for the Roulette Title cleanly knocked your ass out to keep his Internet Title. It's a painful fall, to be sure. But you've got to shake it off, Miles. You've got to get back on your feet and give me the match I'm craving. I want the wrestling world to be in awe as we immediately blow things up to start the show. I want the fans drooling, chanting for more. I want the rest of the show ruined, because there's no way any of them can follow something like us.

But can you deliver on that, Miles? Do you have it in you? Can you at least go out there and pretend that you give a damn about fighting someone like me? Because if you're so cocky, you're probably going to be one of those that immediately just decides "He's a janitor, he'll be easy pickings". You know how many people's ribs I've fractured because they didn't take me seriously? That they didn't respect the Plunge, coming down on them?

Boyo, again, heed my warning: shake off that awful defeat you had and come at me with your best. Bring the fire, and don't let your ego shift you off track either way. Take me seriously, and give me whatever you've got left in your tank, and this could be epic.

Come at me half-assed, and your ass will pay the price. I'm just saying.

~We rejoin the hikers as they're making their way up the mountain. Vaughn looks to be perfectly fine, enjoying the workout, if nothing else. Sammy's holding up pretty well for a non-hiker, but then, she's in decent shape herself. It's Thomas, of course, who's struggling, working his way forward step by painful step. Vaughn slowly works his way back, stopping next to his half-brother.~

Peter Vaughn: You going to survive this, Thomas? Or should we find a nice burial site for you? Under that tree looks pretty nice...

Thomas Hill: Hah hah. How much... further do you think it is?

Peter Vaughn: I asked ahead. They said another 2-3 miles.

Thomas Hill: You're... you're kidding...

Peter Vaughn: I'm sure you'll make it without dying. Just think one step at a time. Left, right, left, right...

~Thomas groans, almost tripping, but Vaughn catches his arm, keeping him upright. They continue to move forward, around the next bend... where the three guides are already starting to set things up in the campsite.~

Thomas Hill: What? But... but you said...

Peter Vaughn: I know. But it feels good now, doesn't it, to get here so much quicker than you thought? You're welcome.

~Vaughn smirks and smacks his half-brother on his backpack, before turning and walking away. Seeing this, Sammy comes over, checking on him.~

Sammy Mitchell: You good, Tommy Boy?

Thomas Hill: ... I love Peter like a brother, but sometimes...

Sammy Mitchell: You wish you could hit him?

Thomas Hill: Yeah.

Sammy Mitchell: And then you remember he could kick your ass?

Thomas Hill: ... Yeah.

~Sammy chuckles for a moment, then helps Thomas get out of his pack.~

Sammy Mitchell: Look, from what I've seen, Petey, for all his bluster, must actually feel something for you. He wouldn't have brought you along if he didn't. The guy is... cut off, isn't he? He doesn't show that much emotion from what I've seen. So all you can do is go with the tiny clues he leaves you. Got it?

Thomas Hill: Yeah... yeah, I know...

Sammy Mitchell: And, of course, don't forget the other thing...

Thomas Hill: What?

Sammy Mitchell: That I can probably kick your ass, too.

~Sammy laughs, lifting her fists for a second, before turning and heading off to collect some firewood. Thomas watches her leave, shaking his head.~

Thomas Hill: She's definitely got some Vaughn in her...

~Thomas sighs, then goes to see what he can do to help, as we cut away again.~

I've been told I can be a bit of an asshole at times. I fully own that.

But that's what has made me a winner over the past year. It took me from mopping the backstage area before & after the events to being the headliner in the main event. So I make no apologies for my attitude.

I've heard tell that you and I might have that in common, Miles. From what Mac and Kat have said, you do have a pretty sharp tongue in that mouth of yours. It probably gets you into trouble sometimes, huh? You say the wrong thing, and suddenly the world is out to get you? Been there, done that. Never got the t-shirt, though.

For me, I've never been that subtle about the truth as I see it. I'll tell you exactly what I believe, and I won't shy away from that belief at all. For some, it's hard to take the truth thrown in your face, but I don't see the point in avoiding the hard facts. It ticks me off, really, when people tell me half-truths or lie via omission. I tend to ditch or KO people like that.

That being said, the hard fact is that you're going to get rocked at Climax Control. I'm probably going to knock you unconscious, if I get the opportunity. You're going to be forced awake via smelling salts from the referee or the backstage doctor, and you'll have questions about what happened, and you should know, it's not your fault. I'm just going to be that damn good.

Of course, that doesn't mean that if I have a chance to win via a small package or a crucifix pin, I'll ignore it. After all, the main goal is a victory, right? I won't let those opportunities pass me by. But it would certainly make a better first impression for the SCW faithful if I leave you unconscious in the center of the ring. So if I catch you in a victory roll, try to kick out, will you? Because I won't be able to help myself.

I'm just too invested in starting my SCW career at 1-0.

What are your numbers, Miles? Have you managed to cobble together a winning record in your time in SCW? I admit, I'm just a little too lazy to go check the archives, but I'm willing to bet you've got some quality wins under your belt. You wouldn't keep getting title shots if this wasn't the truth. I'm guessing you think of yourself as a winner, even after Raven played with you and threw you away like a cat's toy.

It may just not be your year, Miles. First Raven, and now Vaughn, and your record is slowly going the wrong direction. Is that a jerk move, pointing that out? Sorry. Like I said, I can't help but point out the truth, like how you're in freefall starting at #355.

It's going to be an extremely steep Plunge, boyo.

~The tents have been raised. The food has been eaten. All that's left now is drinking some cool beer around the campfire, even as the darkness overtakes the rest of the area. Some, like Sammy and Thomas, have already headed to their sleeping bags. Others, like Phil and Kennedy, have headed out into the forest, supposedly to 'check for supplies'. Most likely, something else is going on, but they're all adults here. That leaves Vaughn and Bobby as the last two around the fire.~

Bobby: So, Mr. Vaughn, you feel like your group is getting its money's worth on this adventure?

Peter Vaughn: I suppose so. Thomas may be complaining a lot, but I think he's getting some enjoyment out of it. It's harder to tell with Samantha, I mean, Sammy...

Bobby: Don't be trying too hard.

Peter Vaughn: Huh?

Bobby: Look, I've seen many groups take on this challenge, and there's usually a reason behind it. Yours is pretty clear. You want to connect with these members of your family that you didn't grow up with. It'll happen. Eventually. You just can't push it too hard.

~Vaughn takes a contemplative slug of his Yellow Rose, thinking things over before responding.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm not saying you're right... but I will admit, I'm still figuring out this "half-brother" and "half-sister" nonsense. I grew up an only child, most of it with only my father. So having actual family now... it's tough to know how to react.

Bobby: It'll come naturally, Mr. Vaughn. Journeys like this one will help. But nothing is guaranteed. You know that, right?

Peter Vaughn: Of course. Nothing's 100 percent. All you can do is stack the odds as high in your favor as you can.

Bobby: That's... one way of looking at it, I suppose.

~Vaughn gets up, finishing his beer and making sure to secure the bottle inside a trash bag. Despite his insistence at having moved on from being a janitor, Vaughn still can't stand leaving behind a mess of any kind. He turns to Bobby, pointing at the fire.~

Peter Vaughn: I guess it's about time for lights out, huh?

Bobby: If you're ready, sure. Good night, Mr. Vaughn.

Peter Vaughn: Night, Bobby.

~Vaughn turns and walks away towards his tent, as Bobby picks up a foldable bucket that they brought with them. He pours out what water he has there on the fire, causing it to hiss and smoke as the light goes out, leaving us in darkness.~

Thomas Hill: Peter...

Peter Vaughn: *grumble under breath*

Thomas Hill: Peter, c'mon, man, wake up...

Peter Vaughn: whaisit? whoisit? Huh?

~After a second, Vaughn finally pulls himself up, rubbing at his eyes. He looks around in the darkness, barely able to see his half-brother sitting up next to him. The two were forced to share a tent, since neither one was staying with their sister, obviously. Vaughn starts to reach for the flashlight, but Thomas stops him, trembling.~

Peter Vaughn: You have a nightmare or something? What's going on?

Thomas Hill: Keep your voice down! I think... something's out there...

Peter Vaughn: ... Something?

~Vaughn, shaking his head, again grabs the flashlight, this time pulling it away despite Thomas' objections. Before Vaughn turns the light on, though, there's the sound of a cracking branch from somewhere nearby. Vaughn freezes, thinking it over, as Thomas gulps audibly.~

Peter Vaughn: Could be the guides.

Thomas Hill: At 3 in the morning??

Peter Vaughn: Hell, sometimes sleep can be hard to come by. It happens to me all the time. I'll go check.

~Vaughn gets up, popping on his shoes with practiced ease. He then heads for the tent, reaching for the zipper.~

Thomas Hill: Hold on, but what if it's not them? What if... it's a grizzly bear?

~Vaughn looks back, holding onto the zipper as he stares at Thomas.~

Peter Vaughn: That's not a problem.

Thomas Hill: It's not?

Peter Vaughn: Nope. Because I know that I can at least out-run you, and one is all I need.

~With that, Vaughn unzips the tent and moves out, making as little noise as possible.~

Thomas Hill: You're... you're joking, right? Peter? Damn it...

~Whether it's to back his half-brother up or to get a head start, Thomas gets himself up and out of the tent as well. He looks around, seeing no sign of him. Nervous, Thomas steps around the tent, glancing in every direction. He starts to whisper.~

Thomas Hill: Peter? Peter??

~Thomas steps lightly, trying to avoid making any noise, as he moves around the camp. The other two tents seem undisturbed. Quietly, Thomas steps near the remains of the campfire, trying to figure out his next move. He waits, confused, as a shadowy figure suddenly appears behind him, raising something towards him... and then it stumbles back, arms flying into the air, as Vaughn grabs it from behind. Thomas leaps in terror, a mighty pounce that would have cleared the campfire if it was still lit. He spins around, even as we hear the other tents unzipping.~

Phil: What the hell's going on out there?

Bobby: Is it a bear? Damn bears, I've got my spray ready!

~The two guides pull themselves up, shining their flashlights towards the commotion. We see Thomas standing to the side, still not doing anything, while Vaughn appears to have a rather old-looking man trapped in a full nelson, keeping his arms in the air. An old shotgun can be seen, laying on the ground nearby.~

Prospector: Get yer damn fool hands offa me!!

Peter Vaughn: Not until you calm your ass down, gramps. Don't make me clench it in any tighter, I might dislocate your shoulder.

~Gasping, the older man finally stops fighting, as Vaughn continues to hold him in place. Bobby and Phil come over, with Bobby's eyes lighting up.~

Bobby: You're that crazy old prospector who lives out here, aren't you? What are you doing here?

Prospector: I... I ain't letting you take what I earned, fair and square! It ain't right!

Phil: ... What?

Peter Vaughn: Yeah, you lost me, old man. You talking about that old shotgun over there? It looks like it'd explode if you ever tried to fire it.

Prospector: You... you're not here for my claim?

Peter Vaughn: We're here as camping tourists. We certainly didn't come for anything of yours.

Prospector: I don't believe you! I saw your packs! I saw your shovels!

Phil: You mean... the shovels we used to dig the latrine area?

Peter Vaughn: Trust me, you're not finding gold over there, so don't dig it up.

~The final tent unzips, with Sammy and Kennedy peeking their heads out.~

Sammy Mitchell: You guys aren't doing some weird backwoods initiation out here or something, right?

Peter Vaughn: We just had ourselves an intruder, Sammy. Nothing to worry about. Go back to sleep.

Sammy Mitchell: Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen.

~The ladies go back inside, as Vaughn carefully releases the old prospector from his hold.~

Peter Vaughn: You calmed down yet? I swear to you, we're not here for any gold or silver you've found up here.

Prospector: Gold? Who digs for gold anymore? No, I'm up here with my copper mine! Great money in copper these days! But you can't have any of it!

~Bobby, with nothing better to do, starts to reignite the fire, since everyone's awake, anyways. Phil heads off into the darkness, probably to get some more wood. In the meantime, Vaughn shoots a shrewd eye at the aging prospector.~

Peter Vaughn: So you've dug up a stockpile of copper, huh? You have a good collection of it?

Prospector: ... I ain't saying.

Peter Vaughn: And I suppose you can easily get it to town, right? So that you can start to cash in on it?

Prospector: ... I'm still workin' on that part of it, but I'll figure it out, you'll see!

Peter Vaughn: Interesting. It sounds like you might actually need a few mules to help you get supplies down the mountain, huh? So why don't we talk about it? Maybe we could... help each other. I've got a ranch, you see, and you'd be surprised how much copper comes up as a need...

~Putting on his best fake smile, Vaughn pulls the prospector over to the side, starting to debate his lack of ability to produce any profit on his copper mine. As they talk, Thomas moves to the side, shaking his head in wonder.~

Thomas Hill: I almost wish it WAS a grizzly bear now...

~From the side, we suddenly hear a dull growl, causing Thomas to jump and turn that direction. He gasps, running in the opposite direction, right past Vaughn and the prospector. Clearly, Thomas knows he needs to stay ahead of them. Vaughn glances back in the other direction, where Phil steps out of the darkness with a grin.~

Peter Vaughn: That wasn't much of a bear impersonation.

Phil: It worked, didn't it?

~Phil laughs, while the old prospector still looks confused and wary. Vaughn goes back to his sales pitch, trying to work out a deal between the two men, as we slowly fade out.~

I suppose that about wraps it up for us, Miles.

There's nothing more to say, really, other than I'm looking forward to giving you a beating at Climax Control. I'll be showing off all my best moves, I'm sure. The Insult To Injury. The Keyholder. Revenged. Really, whatever it takes to deliver as much punishment as possible. After all, you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you gentlemen have here at Sin City. I'm betting it's going to be all I dream of and more, as I prepare myself for another great tournament showing and a tremendous brawl at my first show. You may not be Matthew Knox, of course, but I'll definitely take what I can get.

Boy, is this going to be a blast...

All I can say is, prepare yourself, Miles. Prepare yourself to feel some aches and pains for a while afterwards. Prepare yourself for possibly losing consciousness.

And prepare yourself for taking that Plunge. See you then.