Author Topic: Asterisk the 34th: Conventional Wisdom  (Read 287 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Asterisk the 34th: Conventional Wisdom
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:53:53 PM »
 Blog: Una serie de eventos desafortunado the 23rd: Causa y efecto V: Cosas Sólo Empeoran Antes de que Ellos Se mejoren/A Series of Unfortunate Events the 23rd: Cause & Effect V: Things Only Get Worse Before They Get Better
]semana del 21 al 28 de augusto de 2 0 1 6

Things can only get worse before they get better.

I'm still waiting for the better part.

I've been in slumps before, usually a couple of weeks or so, but never like this. No matter what I try to do, I can't seem to shake this, I don't know, rut I've been on these past few months and it's come to the point that people have started to notice. Not going to lie,  this year has to be the worse I've had since I debuted in SCW. Four wins in fifteen matches so far is certainly something I'm not readily to admit nor am I happy about. That I haven't won a match since winning the World Bombshell Championship three months ago makes it worse.

So, I'm still waiting for the better part. I could have walked out a two-time Bombshell Internet Champion, should have even, but I didn't get it done and I have no one to blame but myself. Melody Grace hasn't missed a beat since she returned and I gave her a challenge, I gave her a fight, but she was the better competitor that night and I won't deny that. And while I don't agree with her comments about the lack of drive of the Bombshells locker-room, she has her heart in the right place.

That being said, all I can really do is pick up the pieces, or try to. My track record in title matches notwithstanding, there's a pretty good chance another title match isn't in my future if I don't turn things around. Not that I'm in any hurry for another title match, I've had plenty this year and a lot of controversy to go along with it, but there's a sense of urgency of winning now and that's a feeling I haven't had in quite some time. For the most part, I should be better for it and yet maybe what's been happening to me is just another cautionary tale.

I've had success early in my career, the only way you can go is down.

Because sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

That I have my work cut out for me Sunday against an long-time rival?

I'm still waiting for the better part.

~ ~ ~

Momento de claridad XXII: Obstáculos son Hechos para Ser Conquistado /Moment of Clarity XXII: Obstacles are Made to Be Conquered
29 de augusto de 2016 ♦ LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

[Mercedes Vargas is out of answers even though she already knows the questions.]

“I can't explain it. It's almost bizarre when you think about it.”

[Following her failed Bombshell Internet Title challenge against Melody Grace, the former champion has had one week to reflect on her most recent title loss, her second in three weeks and fourth overall. Vargas was a heartbeat away from reclaiming the championship she originally lost to Jessie Salco at Blaze of Glory, but an apparent injury and Grace counter into a submission extinguished her hopes of winning her ninth championship. Her knee buckled late in the contest, but she assured the injury wasn't serious.

“My doctor told me that the MRI revealed no break so I was pretty lucky. Ice and bed rest did the trick.”

Today, Vargas is packing for her second trip to Canada when Climax Control stops in Montreal in its third week of their tour of the Great White North. Confirming her flight for the second time, she is making sure that while things are going wrong in her career that her travel accommodations go right. Her last trip to Montreal wasn't exactly memorable, she reveals.]

“My return flight was delayed for four hours because the airport computer systems went down and it was winter so you can imagine how that went. There's only so much you can really do being stuck at the airport.”

[Being stuck is a perfect phrase to describe her recent struggles of late. Her loss at Climax Control 156 was her third in a row as part of a five-match winless streak which has already creeped over three months since her last win.]

“It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone, you know? That's the best way I can describe it. Just when I thought this was going to be my night, it never turns out to be that way. For some reason, Murphy's Law is really having fun at my expense.”

[Next weekend she faces a familiar opponent in Amy Marshall, who like Vargas, was also defeated by Grace. In her case, twice. Marshall bounced back with a pinfall win over newcomer Polly Playtime. Despite Vargas having never lost to Marshall in a decisive singles match, even she knows that she can't be lucky forever. Nonetheless, her persistence having wavered.]

“Records are made to be broken, boundaries to be tested, and obstacles to be conquered and on Sunday the only thing standing between me and ending this slump is Amy Marshall. Will it be easy? No, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Looking forward to it.”

~ ~ ~

Blog: Una serie de eventos desafortunado the 24th: Causa y efecto VI: /A Series of Unfortunate Events the 24th: Cause & Effect VI:
]semana del 28 de august0 del 4 de j septiembre de 2 0 1 6

The Mean Girls.

Some might say it was the best stable to have ever assembled in SCW history.

Others think it was probably the worse no thanks to the people that were in it.

Before it became a stable, before it became a household word in the mouths of fans and critics everywhere, it started as a tag team. Just two snobby, stuck-up Bombshells who wanted to change the division, but it didn't exactly pan out. While Veronica Taylor and Angelica started the group, it was Delia Darling who started the revolution.

As another year has passed since the breakup of the Mean Girls, it got me thinking: what if it never happened? What if Liz Smalls decided to stay longer than the two months or so instead of running away and leaving Veronica stranded with the World Bombshell Tag Titles? What if the breakup never happened? Would Amanda Cortez still be in the division today? What if Necra Octavian Kane and Twisted Sister never attacked Delia Darling? Would she still be here today? If Natalie McKinley and Amy Marshall failed to beat Delia and I for our titles would the Mean Girls still dominiant the Bombshells Division?

Odds are pretty good that they would.

But as reality comes to hit you in the face. Nothing last forever and all good things come to an end.

The end of the Mean Girls was the end of the dominant stable. The Nobodies, Bad Company, the Elders...they're all great examples of great groups, but there was no comparison. The only thing to come close was the New Xtremes.

For me, the day Delia and I broke away from the Mean Girls would either make or break our careers. Delia has been rumored to a make her return for months, but I never believed it. Liz is a pariah. Amanda last showed during the BFTP, and that was back in February.

Only Veronica and I still remain from the Mean Girls, which is amazing when you think about it.

Veronica beat Kate Steele to finally win her first singles title. Minds are blown.

Me? I'm struggling to keep my head above water. And I was supposedly the second important reason why the Mean Girls thrived.

But before I was a Mean Girl, my first feud in SCW began with Amy Marshall. It's surprising how many matches we've had over the years and now this Sunday, we're going to add one more. Nothing needs to be said. Amy has practically done it all and her accomplishments are well deserved, especially the fact she's the only Hall of Famer still actively competing. The night Jessie Salco inducted her into the Hall of Fame last year was a historic night, not to mention she got to carry a lot of hardware after racking up several awards at the Year-End Awards. How can anyone not be impressed with her career?

I suppose I'm getting a little sidetracked from getting to where this should be, our match. I've never been one to overestimate an opponent, even the ones I've had success against, so I would be a fool to think my match will be a walk in the park. It won't be.

Amy, for all your accomplishments, there is one where you have never been able to meet. But that can change on Sunday. If you want to continue your momentum after beating Polly, you have to beat me in Montreal and I know you're relishing the chance to finally cross that goal off your bucket list.

The problem with that is, it's still going to be left on that list. Amy, right now, in this moment, I'm in a place where you've been at several points in your career. You've gone months without winning a match, but that didn't stop you because you were determined to keep going until you get that elusive win. Right now, in this moment, I've reached my breaking point and I'm sorry this had to happen because I've never had a stretch this long between wins and it's starting to become frustrating to the point where, yes, desperation is sitting in. I've had to go through a cruel summer and now I'm ready to put that behind me and it all ends, and starts, by defeating you this weekend. You won't make this easy, I know you'll give your level best, you always have, but I won't be denied. We're both in the same boat, we're both trying to get back to the top of what is a changing and ultra competitive Bombshells Division that's a long way from when Misty, Vixen, and Delia ruled.

So it all comes to this: One of us will have their hand raised. One of us will leave with a win, while the other will leave with nothing. Just one more chapter to add to our long rivalry.

And if this is possibly the close of our rivalry?

I'm going to close the book.

~ ~ ~

Momento de claridad XXIII:/Moment of Clarity XXIII
1 de septiembre de 2016 ♦ NEW YORK, NEW YORK

[[If I was going to make it to Canada, the best way to do that was traveling to New York. My visit back to the Big Apple was a bit of a shock to the few people who knew me way back when.]]

Marta: So, I hear you're taking a trip to Canada? What's that like?

Mercedes: Depends on what time you go. Either really cool or very cold. But getting there is half the fun. You've never been to Canada before? You don't know what you're missing.

Marta:The closest thing I've seen of Canada is watching Nothern Exposure. Do they still show reruns? Hockey, cold winters, maple syrup. Sometimes not in that order. Thanks but no thanks. I can get those things right here.

Mercedes: One, pretty sure the show was in Alaska. Two, not the same. Your loss.

[[Your Hairiscope Beauty Salon was one of the those places. Marta always said she was my favorite customer, even though I never believed her. She's from Brooklyn and wearing a chic business suit and her hair in ponytail because she' been up since 9 AM. She gets most things at that hour than most  people do all day..]]

Marta: So, where you heading off to? Toronto?

Mercedes: Montreal. I have a wrestling match that night. And it's my second trip there.

Marta: No kidding! You? Little Miss Carmen Sandiego? You've practically been to every place on earth![/font]

Mercedes: Except for Antarctica

Marta: Except for Antarctica

[[Marta reaches for the scissors and cuts my hair. I'm almost afraid to ask what new style she's going to have for this time. When I do ask, I brace myself for what she'll say.]]

Mercedes: What are you going to do this time?

Marta: I'l surprise you. You'll love it.

[[That depends on her mood and the season, usually. Like during Mardi Gras.]]

[Mercedes is handed a hand mirror on that particular day. She looks into it and is mystified at her appearance. Her hair is multicolored with glitter.]

Mercedes: Marta! What the hell is this?

Marta: I call it the “Mardi Gras Special”

Mercedes: Special? I look like someone who never want to leave the 90's!

[[There was the Fourth of July.]]

Mercedes is handed the hand mirror as she looks into it. She nearly falls out of her chair. Her hair is in Libety spikes.]

Mercedes: What...did...you...do...TO MY HAIR!

Marta:Patriotic, don't you think?

Mercedes: ARGH!

[[There was even that time during St. Patrick's Day.]]

Mercedes is handed a hand mirror as before on that particular day. She looks into it and is as sickly green as her hair.]

Mercedes:  You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Marta: Green with envy?

Mercedes:  Green with sickness. Now change it back, change it back now!

[[Right. So I''m excited and afraid and if any of those past experiences was startling, I have every right to be.]]

Mercedes: Marta, whatever crazy idea you have right now, ignore it.

Marta: Aw! You're no fun.

[[Marta picks up a handheld mirror and shows me her haircut before the hairdresser motions for the till]]

Mercedes: So, how much do I owe you again?

[[Marta gives a small smile and refuses the payment.]]

Marta: Merce, you've been seeing me for three years. It's on the house, honey

Mercedes: Seriously?

[[I stare at her while absently putting my money back in my purse. Was Marta sick? I didn't know, but her smile wasn't making my questions any better.]]

Marta: It's the least I could do for giving you a scare every time you stopped by.

[[Bemused, I cross my arms and shake my head before walking off.]]

[Fade.]

~ ~ ~

Momento de claridad XXIV: sabiduría popular /Moment of Clarity XXIV: Conventional Wisdom
2 de septiembre de 2016 ♦ MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA

[REC]

The scene opens on Mercedes smiling at us on this cool day in Montreal. In the foreground, we see she is standing behind the Montreal Biosphere museum, one of the city's most well known landmarks.

“Welcome to Montreal. You know, a lot of people weren't too happy when SCW announced its Canadian tour, but you didn't hear me complain. Think about it: Would you rather be back in Nevada, suffering temperatures in the triple digits or enjoying cool, wet summers this time of year?”

It was a no contest. This was SCW's first tour of the Great White North and while that roadtrip included stops to half of the ten provinces – British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec and Ontario, ironically the very stops she has visited in her career -it was an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

“Being in Canada again is always a treat for me. I can count how many times I've been here on both fingers.”

She holds up both of her hands, indicating she's been in the Great White North ten times.

“I didn't win in my first visit to Montreal two years ago and that bothered me. Returning here for my match at Climax Control, I can't say my confidence is any better. Sure, conventional wisdom says facing Amy Marshall should be a piece of cake right? Amy Marshall hasn't pinned me in a decisive singles match in her career. I mean, if we're going by facts and statistics, she's never faced either Amanda or Liz in singles, let alone beat them otherwise, but she has beaten Delia Darling and Veronica Taylor. Mandy, Liz, Delia, they're all gone. Veronica and I are still here.

“And I've defeated Amy in our last three matches, but I've learned that conventional wisdom often has proven to be wrong most of the time. I've been pinned by Jessie Salco in our last three matches. So, Amy is due to finally get that elusive win Sunday. If we're going by facts and statistics, Amy is coming off a win while I haven't won a match in more than three months.”

Sounds about right by that logic.

“Amy, we may be different, but we share a lot of things in common. Well, let's see now. First off, we're both Grand Slam Champions. It took us less than three years to win every title in the Bombshells division. We're arguably the most decorated Bomsh – No, wrestlers in Sin City Wrestling. W're also former World Bombshell Champions whose reigns lasted less than a month. Oh, did I mention our title wins were a little controversial? I think you get the idea.

She shrugs.

“I've looked at the card and every match has something to play for: a title, a title match, momentum ahead of the supercard. Our match falls under none of the above unless “bragging rights” is some kind of prize. But, seriously, doe match mean anything? Do either of us have anything to prove? No and no again. But it comes back to conventional wisdom. And more often than not, its never been wrong before.

“See you in Montreal.”

[Fade.]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:46:19 PM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)