Author Topic: × THE WORKHORSE ×  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Calvin Harris

• View Profile
× THE WORKHORSE ×
« on: March 22, 2023, 02:18:30 AM »

OOC: This RP comes out to 4,607 in words according to Google. Tbh, I struggled. Not going to lie. Just couldn’t think of anything solid. But I attempted to do my best. Good luck everyone!

× THIS IS AWKWARD ×
[scene one]

Calvin found himself walking down the steps of his home. A duffle bag slug over his shoulder and his gearbag being dragged on the wheels down each step. In less than two hours, he’d be in the sky and on a flight to Canada. Business was picking back up for Sin City Wrestling and he was in a big match up on the first leg of the tour. He rounded the corner into the kitchen where his wife was finishing up the dishes from breakfast. She briefly looked up in his direction.

About time. I’ve been trying to get you up for the last hour. You’re going to miss your flight.

Oh, you have not been trying to get me up for that long.

Want to make a bet on that?

She gave him a slight glare. Alessandra might not have fully been onboard with him returning to the wrestling world. After she saw it mentally destroy him once before, but she did take her job as a wife seriously. Despite their constant banter with each other. She always wanted to see him do well. She turned the sink off before walking towards him.

I’m not the jealous type. You know this right?

Mhmm… Where exactly is this going?

I’m just stating the truth. So I can say this and you can pass the message along to this little partner of yours. If she thinks about doing anything other than reaching out for the hot tag when it’s needed. I’ve got no problem rearranging a bitch’s face.

She smiled ever so innocently, but at the same time with a set of stern eyes while looking up at him. Calvin couldn’t help but allow himself to chuckle a little. Briefly shaking his head from side to side.

I’ll be sure to pass the message along if it’s needed, but I don’t think that’s anything you need to worry about. After all, I think her primary focus is going to be winning this match. For the sake of walking out with a championship on her shoulder.

Something I still don’t understand. It’s a tournament to get through to get World Title shots, but she and only she can walk away with a championship that night if she gains a pin fall?

Hey, we’ve both been around a long time. We’ve seen crazier booking and far more confusing booking. I just want to show up. Get the job done and be one step closer to regaining my throne as the SCW Heavyweight Champion.

Well, are you really wanting to deal with He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named?

Jesus Christ, babe. At least Voldemort had more redeeming qualities over that old bitter-fuck.

Another small little chuckle left his lips.

Honestly, I’ll come across that bridge when the time comes. It’s just one step at a time for me. Get through this tournament and we’ll see how things go then.

Stepping forward for a brief moment. He placed a soft kiss on her lips before taking a step back.

I gotta get going. I love you, and love on the kids for me when they get home from school. I’ll be sure to text you when I land.

You better or I’m taking the first flight out just to ruin your night.

Wouldn’t expect it any other way.

Slightly rolling his eyes with a smirk. He found himself walking past her and through the kitchen towards the back of the house. Popping open the side door that leads to the garage. Reaching inside his pocket to grab his car keys out. First thing he did was hit the garage door opener. Door starting to lift up in the usual loud sound that all doors made. He then took the key to his truck and stuck it in, giving it a slight twist and pulled the key out. As the trunk door lifted open. Calvin suddenly jumped back in surprise. Clutching his chest.

Holy fuck!

What had caught him off guard was the body lying in the trunk. No, not like a dead body. Instead the body of a friend of theirs. A very-very weird friend but a friend nonetheless. He went by the name of Guy. Face was painted as white as could be. Little bit of black to make eyes and mouth pop. Odd obsession with capes. He just laid there in the trunk looking up at Calvin. Not a word was said. Just an awkward stare between the two.

Dude. What the hell are you doing in the trunk of my fucking car?

There was no response from the man known as Guy. Instead he just continued to stare back at Calvin with that wide looking expression.

Uh hello?

So, you can see me?

Of course! I can see you. What the hell are you talking about?!

Shucks! My plan has been foiled!

At that moment Guy began to climb out of the trunk of the car. Sure enough there was that traditional cape attached to him. He smoothed out the sides of the cape and looked back at Calvin. Who still had such a confusing expression on his face. Guy looking back puzzled.

What?

Are you going to explain yourself? Again, what the hell were you hiding in there for?!

Huzzah! Like I said I had a plan. Very simple plan you see. Hide in the trunk. Sneak into the airport undetected. Sneak into the plane undetected. Follow you to the arena. Lurk in the shadows. Then when it was main event time. Be your tag team partner. Bring home some gold!

... The more and more I listen to you talk. I become dumber and dumber.

That sounds like your inability to understand the plan!

Guy looked right at Calvin with a big cheesing grin. Meanwhile Calvin found himself facepalming and shaking his head from side to side. His day was starting to get a little worse with each passing moment.

Alessandra… She told me. You were in a tournament, with no partner. As the good friend I am. I am stepping up. In the name of friendship. To be your partner. To bring home the family some gold. Again, simple plan!

Yeah, simple plan. There’s just one GIANT problem with your plan. Well, there’s more than one. But the point is… this isn’t a tournament for Tag Titles. This isn’t a tournament where I can choose a tag team partner. And you are clearly missing out on details. Because I do have a tag team partner. One that was decided for me.

Decided for you? Huzzah! No, no. That will simply not work. You call them. Tell them you’ve got a replacement. We will get the job done. As a unit!

Lord. Please. Give me the strength!

Calvin was looking right up at the sky at that moment. Shaking his head from side to side. Attempting to remain cool, calm, and collected. Although his patience was clearly being tested. He began to toss his bags into the now empty trunk while continuing to speak.

Again. This isn’t your traditional tournament Guy. I don’t get to choose a partner. One is chosen for me. Those are the rules. So you see. There’s no point in you hiding in the trunk like a creep. No point in sneaking onto an airplane and possibly getting banned for life. And no point in sneaking into an arena possibly messing with my job.

Calvin then slammed the trunk down with his things inside. Looking back at Guy. Again, still a confused expression on his face. Like those words didn’t register.

I appreciate whatever this was. As awkward as it was. But I’m good. I’m real good. I’m going to tough this thing out. Like I told Alessandra. I’m going to do what I have to do to make sure we win. I’m going to earn my way back towards the SCW Heavyweight Championship. It’s going to be a good time.

So…

So, what?

So, the tag team shirts I’ve started getting printed out with the name Two Guys One Cape, is probably a bad idea?

Excuse me?

Two Guys, One Cape. It’s an amazing name!

The look on Calvin’s face said it all. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. More importantly, it was becoming quite mentally exhausting that he couldn’t even get through to the man.

I am going to go ahead and just pretend you didn’t suggest that name to me. I’m going to pretend that you’re not having shirts like that printed off. And I’m going to pretend that you understand that this tag team fantasy of yours is not going to be a thing. I’ve got to get on the road, man.

Again he shook his head. Calvin turned to walk to the side of the car and grip the door handle to the driver’s side. Pulling it open and hopping right in. He had no sooner than turned the key in the ignition to start the car up and that passenger door came open. Hopping in with quickness was Guy. He unhooked the sunglasses that were on his neckline of his shirt and began to put them on.

Let’s ride Partner!

If looks could kill, Calvin’s would be deadly. Although, it was clear there was no getting through to him at this moment. Not even bothering to say a word. Calvin simply put the car in drive and pulled out of the garage. This was going to be an interesting trip, but at the same time he had learned a long time ago. Wrestling was meant to be fun. So, let the fun begin.

× THE WORKHORSE ×
[scene two]

The fall out from Blaze of Glory was finally going to happen on March Twenty Sixth. It was the first Climax Control of the new cycle and it just so happened to be invading Canada. In what was just the beginning of what was being described as a very interesting tour to say the very least. With that all being said the talk of the locker room and in the stands was the start of the Blast From The Past tournament. A tournament that “The Highlight of the Night” Calvin Harris found himself a part of for the very first time in his career with Sin City Wrestling.

Speaking of the man, it was at this particular moment the cameras found turning on to film. They were set up to focus on the face of Calvin. He was sitting there in the stands of Prospera Place. Of course the arena was empty just hours before showtime. Hell, even the set up for the show wasn’t complete yet. However this was a proper time for self reflection. Of course the silence didn’t last long as Calvin let his eyes focus on the cameras.

You know when you grow up in a pro wrestling family. It kind of seems obvious that you’d want to grow up to be a pro wrestler like your father, mother, uncle, or whomever it is that first set it off for the family right?

There was a slight arch in his eyebrow.

I mean, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that’s how it started for me. But at the same time that wasn’t the thing that kept me going. Nor was it the thing that kept me hooked. Instead what kept me hooked and what kept me going was studying wrestling. Every in and out of the business. Understanding what made one a great pro wrestler. Which involved me studying the work of others that came well before me. Even those that came before my father and my uncle.

Calvin’s eyes remained locked right on those cameras. With that brief pause overcoming him.

That means I study the likes of a man by the name of Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat. One of the people being shown respect in this year's Blast From The Past tournament. Now a lot of people would say that Ricky never reached the levels of some of his peers, but at the same time I’d like to say Ricky was a little bit different than his peers. He didn’t ever appear to be motivated by being the main event or being the World Champion. He didn’t appear to be motivated by the money, the spotlight, and all the fame that came with it. Instead he was motivated by being the workhorse. Going through the grind and proving people wrong. Being that guy that could put on the best match with anyone he stepped into the ring with is what he became known for. People still till this day talk about Steamboat versus Savage and rightfully so. Being that guy that Ricky was truly motivated a younger me.

Not too often was the curtain peeled back for Calvin, in the sense of giving a glimpse of his personal life. Yet this moment allowed people to maybe understand where he was coming from at times when he was known for taking “wrestling” too seriously.

So, obviously when it was announced that Blast From The Past was going to honor Ricky in some aspect. I had to throw my name into the hat. Something that was a bit of a risk. As I’ve never been a part of the tournament in the past. But on top of that I’ve never really been much of a tag team competitor. The idea of having to rely on someone else was just something I wasn’t really keen on for the majority of my career. Of course, as the rules state Blast From The Past competitors will be paired up at random thanks to the luck of the draw. All of this goes against how I’ve spent most of my career doing things, but you see I did this because I had to. Sure, being awarded a shot at the SCW Heavyweight Championship is nice. I’ve never shied away from the fact I want to be champion again, but it’s much deeper than that. I felt like I had to be involved in order for Sin City Wrestling to see what I’m capable of and to put all the bad blood from the past behind us. To see I can be the workhorse. To see I can be the guy you can count on. To see that anyone you put me in the ring with. I can tear the house down with them and bring more eyes to the company.

Each word that came from his lips seemed to have a certain level of passion behind them. Every word he said was believable, but of course actions always spoke louder than words. Something he seemed to understand more than most people.

And tonight it all kicks off. I find myself being paired up with Dawn Warren as we take on Chris Page and Bombshell Internet Champion, Melissa. It just so happens that we’re going to be main eventing the show. Talk about pressure? First taking on a challenge and going against everything I’ve ever done in this business. Then being slated for the main event slot.

A brief chuckle left Calvin’s lips. Making light out of the pressure he found himself in.

Quite the interesting stipulation for the ladies involved in the match too. Seeing as if Dawn is able to gain the pinfall in this match. Not only are we moving on in the tournament, but she’ll find herself being the new Bombshell Internet Champion. So, I guess when you break it down. More pressure is on Dawn than me, but I refuse to look at it like this. In fact, I refuse to look at this tournament the same way as most people are going to look at it. People just see it as a stepping stone for a potential title shot. Not a lot of respect going around. Not a lot of people sound like they want to be a real team. Not a lot of people sound like they truly want to work together. And if you ask me. That’s just not going to work out.

For a second there was a shake of Calvin’s head. Backing up the words coming out of his mouth.

Yes, a future title shot is on the line for both winners of the tournament. But you’re never going to even sniff that title shot if you don’t learn to work together and if you don’t want to work as a team. That’s why from the gate I’m letting it be known I intend to work as a team. For every single time Dawn and I step into the ring together. I’m going to be united. I’m going to have her back in every situation that may arise. In hopes that we’re able to pull it together and win this entire thing.

Of course everyone’s goal was to pull it together and win, but as he had pointed out. Not everyone was carrying themselves the way they should have. Not everyone was united. Not everyone was willing to work as an actual team. Yet there was still a whole lot of tournament to go to see how it worked out.

And of course night one we’re going to be tested with that team of Page and Melissa. From a professional wrestling aspect of things. I can speak for myself when I say that I’ve got some respect for them. I can respect where they’ve been. I can respect what they’ve accomplished. I can respect what they bring to the table. I can respect the athletes they are. I expect nothing but the best coming out of the both of them when we all step into the ring with each other and that bell rings. However, the one thing I can’t respect is the way they go about some things…

There was another brief pause coming from the man. His words without a doubt would cause people to wonder what he meant by that. Thankfully, he wouldn’t leave it to just the imagination.

For example when it comes to Chris Page. He carries himself in a way that’s kind of irritating. He wants everyone that he comes across in this business to respect him and respect what he’s achieved. But, yet he doesn’t want to do the same. He doesn’t want to respect his fellow peers. He doesn’t want to respect where his peers have been or what they’ve achieved. He’s quick to start calling them generic. He’s quick to start writing them off as they mean absolutely nothing to the business. Yet, you do it to him and he’s about ready to have a brain aneurysm.” Shaking his head briefly. “Don’t get me wrong, I hate Michael Harris waaaaaaaaaaaay more than most people around here do. I’m related to the guy for crying out loud. And the last thing I want to do is deal with him being champion around here, but Chris. You were the first one that had a chance to derail him. You were the first one to try and prevent this from happening. Yet, you lost your cool the moment he started talking his shit. You proved that it doesn’t take much to get inside your head. It doesn’t take much to make you unravel. It doesn’t take much to get under your skin. Basically Chris, you exposed yourself right then and there. You showed your true colors and in the end that cost you the match.

Calvin’s words almost came off as a bit of a pot shot more than anything, but at the same time it seemed that he had some truth to those words. Even if it was the truth that Page didn’t want out there and the truth he wasn’t willing to admit to.

And if I can already see you for who you really are Chris. I think it’s going to be safe to say that you’re going to be the type of person to pass a lot of judgment on me. I’m willing to bet that you’re going to tie me in with my uncle. Hell, you along with everyone else in your little savior group. Can’t even understand the concept that the two of us aren’t brothers despite it being repeated over and over again. So it wouldn’t surprise me to hear you lump me in with him. I won’t be shocked to hear you say we have the same attitudes. I won’t be shocked to hear you say that we think the same, or that we talk the same. Basically Chris, I’m not going to be shocked when you can’t separate the two of us. After all, the fact that old man embarrassed you once before has your blood boiling still. So in your mind, what better way than to take it out on someone that’s related to him right? In reality, you’re going to fail to do that. Because I’m not playing that shit. I’m my own human being. I’m my own man. And I’ve got no problem pimp-slapping your teeth out of your mouth.

Looking right at the cameras with that statement. The look in his eyes alone told the story to just how serious he was.

Don’t get me wrong Chris, like I said I do respect you for what you’ve done and what you continue to do. It’s just I can’t respect the attitude. And the only way I can see myself getting through to you is by getting in that ring with you and out-wrestling you. I’ve got no other choice but to outshine you. I’ve got no other choice but to embarrass you. I’ve got no choice but to prove when the spotlight is on. I’m the better wrestler than you are. Right now, I am sure hearing that is going to be a bitter pill to swallow. I’m sure it’ll piss you off and make you get inside your head even more. Make you lash out against me even more. Yet, in the end I hope that when I’ve pinned your shoulders to the mat. When I’ve proved my point of being the better wrestler. When I send you home from this tournament and ruin your dreams of challenging for the Heavyweight Championship. At least at this moment, it’ll make you open up your eyes and make you start to carry yourself better. If not, oh well. I’ll still have the win!

Calvin kind of gave a shrug. That last little statement could have been taken as arrogant, but at the same time he had to get a strong statement across. Something to prove his point. Something to really let Page know what he was dealing with when the two finally locked up.

As far as Melissa goes. Very similar to the Chris situation. I can respect what you are, but not so sure I can respect the way you carry yourself. I don’t know what it is about the “Saviors” group. But for the most part the majority of you. Just come off like a bunch of jackasses. You’d assume with a name like that. You’d be out here trying to save professional wrestling or that you’d be trying to save the fans from having to deal with certain people. Yet, the only thing I’ve managed to pick up on is you’re all a bunch of judgemental pricks. And the only thing you’re trying to save is yourselves from falling into a pit of obscurity.” Another shrug escaped his shoulders. “Is that rude of me to say? Maybe, a little. But it’s no different that some of the rude comments that have come out of your mouth Melissa. You seem to carry yourself much similar to Page. You want everyone to sing your praises, but you’re not willing to do the same. You can’t wait to talk shit. And boy did you talk some shit at Blaze of Glory. Guess, in the end it worked to your advantage. After all, you did leave as champion. But that was then and this is now. Essentially it’s in the past and serves no merit for tonight.” His smirk started to grow across his lips with every comment made. “In the end though Melissa, I guess my focus really shouldn’t be on you. Because, that’s going to be left up to Dawn. Someone that from the very brief conversation I’ve had with her is motivated. Not just to win this thing, but to take your title and make her own. I’ve got faith in her getting the job done.

At least The Highlight of the Night was standing firmly behind his words. In regards to believing in his tag team partner. Buying into being a team player. After all there were a lot of people that didn’t see them as the ones to go the distance.

I’m not clueless though, folks. I’m more than aware that when you look at the tag teams in this tournament. There aren’t too many people that believe in Dawn and myself. There aren’t too many people that think we’re gonna make it past tonight. Let alone find ourselves in the finals winning the whole thing. Matter of fact all eyes are on the group the Saviors. And you know what? That’s fine. It doesn’t bother me. Not even in the least bit. Because that’s something that happened to Ricky. That’s something that even happened to Candi Deviine, the other legend this tournament is being dedicated to. They were overlooked. They were pushed wayside. They were told they didn’t have that “IT FACTOR” just for them to overcome those odds, work hard, and achieve everything they’ve ever wanted. So I say bring it on. Count me out. Count Dawn out. Say we don’t have it in us. You’ll pay for it soon enough.

That sheer acknowledgement on his end without a doubt was going to be a motivator. Knowing their back was going to be against the wall. Without a doubt was going to have them making sure they were at their best when the spotlight was on them.

Ultimately, no amount of words said before this match have any weight behind them. It all sounds good. It all paints us in a certain light. It gets eyes on the match, but none of it makes a difference until there is a winner decided. As I’ve already said. I know who I am. I know what I’m after. I know what my focus is. I’m headed to the main event tonight. To be a workhorse, to be the underdog, to put on a show, and to be THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT just like “The Dragon” himself once was. Melissa and Chris. I mean this when I say it. I wish you the best of luck out there tonight. Because, there’s no doubt in my mind. You’re going to need it!

Those served as Calvin’s last words. As the man found himself getting out of the seat he was sitting in and began to walk out of frame. This resulted in the cameras spinning themselves around to look down at the empty ring and to allow the words that came from his mouth to be reflected on. Needless to say in the end when the dust settled and the smoke cleared out. This will be a Main Event talked about for a long long time to come in Sin City Wrestling.