Author Topic: In Memory Of  (Read 542 times)

Offline Tempest

• View Profile
In Memory Of
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:57:36 PM »
The Go Gym -
Monday May 31

This was by no means going to be an easy day, and the coming week would be just as hectic to both body and soul. Being so far away from her family, Tempest had begun to think of this facility as something akin to a home away from home. Oh, it was true that she had her apartment in Las Vegas, a short distance away from these very grounds, but thus far, it had not felt like what one believes a true home should feel like. When she walked inside of the door and dropped her keys, she felt - next to nothing. It was little more to her than a hotel room. If she had her way, she would have simply made a habit out of returning to Hawaii and return only to “the City of Sin” when she was booked or needed for other SCW promotional appearances. Yet that seemed like an even greater waste of funds than a small apartment that she spent more time out of than in.

Hence, why she had called ahead and asked the Stevens if the Gym would be open on this holiday. Gabriel confirmed that indeed it would be if she wanted to swing by for a workout. Plus, he wanted to talk to her anyway. He said he ‘had news’ for her that she might be pleasantly surprised by. Her curiosity peaked, and the mental desire to find a distraction for herself, Tempest had called an Uber and that was where she found herself now.

There was that familiar buzz at the entrance to the famed Gym, and swiftly opening the doors, she stepped out of the blistering heat of Las Vegas and into the pleasantly cool air conditioning of the gym’s lobby. She knew she would have to soak it all in now, because once she set foot in the gym and began her workout, she may as well be back outside in the heat. The Stevens pushed their students hard - even after they graduated and found themselves under regular employ inside of the ring. To Gabriel and Odette, a student never stopped being a student until they stepped down and/or retired from the ring. And sometimes not even then.

She took a moment, eyes closed, to let the chill air waste its way over her skin before she walked that familiar path. Down the narrow corridor and into the wide, open space that was the Gym’s lobby; furnished by a handful of chairs for those waiting, and the reception desk which usually housed the teddy bear Angel, and she found herself somewhat disappointed the plush figure was not behind the desk, perched on a stack of phone books. Instead, Angel’s best friend Despayre, who many times lent a helping hand in the Gym itself with the training, was sitting there, staring at Tempest with wide eyes.

She paused and stared down at him, having a good nine inches in height on him, and having never forgotten that off handed crack about her hair. Despite that, she felt almost a pang of sympathy for intentionally intimidating the young man. He seemed to have that way about him, an innocent charm, that even the most hateful and spiteful had issues in resisting.

“Angel not working today, then?” She opted to break the ice, get this over with so she could be buzzed into the Gym itself and get this day over with.

Despayre shifted stiffly in his chair and side eyed the water cooler, anything but stare into her amber eyes for longer than necessary. “He’s on vacation this week.” He spoke with a timid tone. “He was pretty excited. It's his first time at a nude beach” He then frowned at his BFF’S logic before hurriedly pressing the button on his/Angel’s desk to unlock the only door that separated the lobby from the Gym itself.

Tempest gave the lad a smirk before walking past with her gym bag, and was greeted by none other than Gabriel himself who had apparently been waiting on her. He had a smile on his face as he asked, “Despy give you any trouble this time?”

To which she shook her head and answered, “Not a bit…” Right before the lobby intercom crackled to life and you heard Despayre’s voice on the other end say, “Hey I’m no fool!” Before it went radio silent once again, leaving both staring at the speaker and Gabriel shaking his head in amusement at his Despy’s antics. Once she faced him, Gabriel gave a directing nod of the head.

He said, “I know you're anxious to start, but let's go to the office. I have some news I think you're going to like.”

And only moments later, Tempest found herself seated on the opposite side of the desk in the shared office of Gabriel and Odette Stevens, Gabriel seated opposite her with his fingers steepled on the desktop.

“So, the big news.” Gabriel began. “You're booked for the post-Supercard show, and… it's a championship match.”

“A championship match?” Tempest replied with a disbelieving side eye, almost as if she were waiting for the proverbial mic drop. “ I lose a match to Dahl, and I get rewarded for it? How does that work?”

Gabriel, however, explained, “It had nothing to do with your match against Bobbie, or anything really to do with the SCW brass. This was all Alicia Lukas. After winning that Queen For A Day match, she was given booking power for this show and she booked you against the Barnharts for the Mixed Tag titles…” Tempest raised a single eyebrow at the mention of which title she was soon to compete for, but Gabriel gave her little time to process this information because he continued, almost hesitantly, “And your partner … is Austin James Mercer…”

“Beg pardon?” She leaned in, as if her ears were playing tricks on her. “Austin… the same one that attacked Aron? The one that had that hellacious fight with Fenris?”

“Inside, and outside of the ring. Several times.” Gabriel confirmed. “The very same.”

“They actually want me to team with the man that went up against two of this Gym’s own?” Tempest looked in a state of complete disbelief. True, she was not the friendliest of the graduates of this facility, but there was such a thing as loyalty where she was concerned. “Why would I ever agree to this?”

“Unfortunately it’s not a matter of agreeing or not.” Gabriel said matter-of-factly. “The match is a signed deal. And, I could be wrong but I think it’s because Alicia wants to guarantee Austin walks away with this championship, and you’re the best bet as a partner to get him there.”

“What about that other chick in the Wolfslair?” Tempest asked. “... Johanna Krieger?”

Gabriel answered, “I was a little surprised Alicia didn’t sign Johanna to this match too, given they’re teammates and she’s a former Mixed Tag champion. Maybe this is an attempt to settle all issues between Mercer and the members of this Gym. A merge between the GO Gym and Wolfslair, if you will.”

Tempest sat there silently, either brooding or her mind working on the possibilities as well as the ramifications of teaming with an enemy, former or otherwise, of this very Gym. Gabriel knew somewhat of what her mind would be processing so he attempted to run interference. He folded his arms on the desk’s surface and leaned forward.

“Look,” He said. “I know this isn’t the ideal situation for you. Not just teaming with Mercer but the division itself? The mixed tag titles used to actually mean something but lately it’s been the ‘card filler’ match.” He shrugged. “Maybe you and Mercer can work together, and find a way to change that. It might not be the World Championship, but everyone has to start somewhere.”

Tempest sat back, taking in everything her trainer said. Gabriel then added, “Now I’ve known Barnhart for years. We go all the way back to our original AWA days. But with all due respect, I’m pretty certain Mercer can handle him. And you against Bea should be…” Gabriel chuckled. “Amusing at best.”

Tempest smirked herself, confident in her chances against Bea Barnhart. Gabriel scooted his desk chair back and stood up, prompting her to do the same. He said, “Now come on. Let’s get your session done with so you can get out of here and take part in the rest of the holiday.”

”Take part in the rest of the holiday…”

Gabriel’s words exactly, but in truth, it was the farthest thing from her mind. If anything, she had hoped to avoid doing exactly that, just like she hoped to do so every year since… But she didn’t. She knew what this holiday was about, and it wasn’t for getting drunk or going to BBQs and maybe even watching fireworks. It was about honoring the fallen men and women who served in the Armed Forces, protecting our freedoms at the expense of their own lives.

Still, Tempest tried to stay for as long as possible until Gabriel had to practically force her out of the Gym and return to her own home for the remainder of the day. She set foot inside of her apartment and flipped on the lights, and drew in a deep, shuddering breath. There was simply no getting past it. No getting past reliving memories that she would rather not. Memories that brought about so much pain.

She walked across the modest expanse of her living room and to the kitchen, where she popped open the fridge to retrieve an ice cold bottle of beer. She then walked over to the small dining table, half heartedly removing a decorative photo album from its spot on a shelf nearby. She pulled out a seat at the table and sat down with the album, expertly twisting the cap off of the bottle. She took a seat and took a long pull from the bottle, steeling herself against … against what she was about to do. She opened the album, and her eyes fell immediately to that first photograph, of a handsome Marine of Hawaiian descent, clad in his dress uniform. He stood at an outdoor altar, in front of a priest. And at his side … stood a smiling, glowing Tempest.

In a classic and tasteful wedding dress.

She closed her eyes, her fingers covering her mouth, and the tears started to slowly fall past her cheek.

Tempest stood in front of the six-sided ring housed within the GO Gym. Arms folded over her sternum, she was sporting her elaborate red wrestling gear with the gown at the waist. Her eyes were emblazoned with a righteous fury, or a determination to maim the first person to cross her path. Pacing back and forth, she casually shook her head as she spoke…

“I’ll be the first to admit that when I was told about what ‘Queen Alicia’ had in mind for me on this upcoming show, I was less than thrilled. I don’t know which option cut at me more; the fact that I was going to be challenging for the Mixed Tag Team titles with Austin James Mercer, or the fact that I was going to be teamed with Austin James Mercer.”

She paused and turned, facing the camera straight forward.

“For one, the Mixed Tag Team titles? Seriously? When was the last time those championships meant -- anything? London Underground. Black Sheep. Team Eggplant…”

She rolled her eyes at the mention of that particular unique team name.

“Alex Jones and Johanna Krieger. Those are literally the only three teams that I can look back on and say they made any conscientious effort in making those belts mean something. Everybody in between and after that? Gamers Inc.? Bella Madison and Malachi?...”

She scoffed.

“Kate Steele and Teddy Warren? These titles have had no stability, and let’s be honest, no legit challengers. If it’s not the same, tired old teams who are on a rotating basis as challengers, then they have to make teams with this… Lethal Lottery system they’ve had ever since they first introduced the tag team division. Now, granted… Some of those Lethal Lottery teams have found success and made names for themselves, but they are few and far between. So part of me wonders if this is punishment on Alicia’s part where Mercer is concerned, or if she has some sick, twisted sense of humor at seeing a member of the GO Gym have to team with a member of Wolfslair. Particularly the member who has caused so much harm where we’re concerned. Now, Austin…”

She closed her eyes briefly to draw a deep breath before opening them again.

“My tag team partner. Before we get started even thinking about winning this match -- and we WILL win -- you and I have to come to a little understanding. You see, I’m not the nicest person to be around. I’m sure you’ve seen all the evidence you need to reach that same conclusion. Just ask Bella. Courtney Pierce. Sierra Williams. Artie… With them it was all a matter of ‘wrong place, right time.’ But here’s something else you may not know about me; when it comes to those I surround myself with, I am loyal if nothing else. When you hurt Aron, I noticed. When you fought Fenris, I noticed. And I was one of the very first ones to cheer against you, for him to kick your ass! But here we are now, whether by design or some sick, twisted joke. Maybe Alicia thinks we’ll implode. Maybe she thinks one of us will do something to the other out of spite for the past. And at one point, I might have even considered it, but see, here’s the thing…”

“I like to win. And a certain someone took me aside and pointed out that no matter who my partner was, the Mixed Tag titles were what you might call a first step to bigger and better things. The GO Gym has collected more championships than historians can keep track of, and they are about to have one more added to their tally. Which means, if you don’t screw me over, then we’re good. You get another title added to your resume, and I get what will be the first of many. And all we have to do is end the Barnharts’ reign before it ever really had a chance to begin. A rare case of easier done than said. Bill, he’s a bull of a man. One that I understand you’ve met inside of the ring a time or two. But that wife of his…”

She shook her head, showing a toothy smile.

“She is nothing but a joke to the Bombshell division. SCW’s answer to a Karen. All inflated ego with a pretty damn boring case of the ‘Me, me, me’s.’ Bea Barnhart has an inflated sense of her own self worth, thinking herself as being far more important than she actually is. When was the last time she won a match, and how long did it take for her and that husband of hers’ to win their first title, not just together but -- period? And lo and behold, just as soon as they get their first taste of SCW gold, they’re going to drop it. Just as quickly, just as easily. In a way, it almost makes you feel sorry for them. They fought for so long and so hard to finally establish themselves as a success story, only to have it taken away from them by a team that has never teamed before, has no idea of the others’ habits or styles, but remains infinitely superior to them in every way imaginable. Sort of like what happened when the Barnharts managed to take the titles away from Kate and Teddy. Now I have to admit…”

Tempest placed a hand over her heart and spoke openly and honestly.

“I thought Bea and Bill being handed another title shot was wrestling’s equivalent of a pity f**k. They deserve a taste of the spotlight at a big event, so let’s toss them a bone. Nobody expected them to win against a woman like Kate Steele and Mister Kate Steele, as Teddy seems to be known as. But then what happened? That was exactly what happened. Underdog team that nobody expected to win - wins. The legendary Bulldog, and the overrated Bea. Champions. Finally! They ended Kate and Teddy’s reign at one month and five days. And their reign?”

She shook her head dismissively.

“It won’t have even lasted half as long. I just can’t help but ask myself what their excuse will be this particular time. Who will they warn against interfering without any previous reason? Wolfslair? Some random graduate of the GO Gym? I mean, that is the Barnharts’ theme, isn’t it? Like a record on repeat, every time we hear one of the other randomly warn an opponent against outside interference, even when there has been no precedence. Well this time there’s no point, because nobody has any need to interfere on the behalf of Austin or myself. Look. At. US! What in hell would make anyone think as a team, we would need help from ANYONE to win this match and walk away the champions?”

“No matter what Alicia had in mind, she got one thing right; there has never been a team like this before in this division. Unleash the beasts! Power personified! So try not to feel too bad about the inevitable, Bea. Comfort your husband if it suits you, because the male ego is a fragile thing when it comes to loss. This thing here with Mercer and myself? It may not be ideal on a personal level, but professionally? It won’t get any more appropriate. And one of two things will happen;”

“Either our win will spell the end of this division because there isn’t a single pairing that could take these titles away from us, or we will be the team to re ignite the spark as everyone will want to see if they can be the David to our Goliath. Question is…”

Tempest leans in closely to the camera.

“Which will it be?”