Author Topic: Strange Bedfellows Chapter 1.5: Lessons Learned  (Read 948 times)

Offline Jack Washington

• View Profile
    • Jack Washington
Strange Bedfellows Chapter 1.5: Lessons Learned
« on: April 07, 2023, 11:52:04 PM »
Prologue: 

Jack may be as surprised as anyone else that he and Bobbie Dahl worked together so well as a team, and they managed to win their first round Blast from the Past tournament match, and in the process, Jack picked up his second Internet championship after pinning Alexander Raven, though his efforts wouldn’t have been enough and Bobbie was significant reason they were victorious. Jack of course would never actually admit this out loud, but he knew that Bobbie was a tag partner that he needed to trust, and this first test in Jack’s eyes was a rousing success. Of course, Jack didn’t want really anything to do with Bobbie outside of the bell to start their match, and the bell to finish their match. 

What Jack actually noticed about their relationship, if you could call it that, was that it felt more like mutual benefit than anything else. Jack wasn’t above helping people, his problem was always that he was forced to rely on them, and they always let him down. But maybe, just maybe Bobbie was going to be different? Jack obviously wasn’t a fan of the odds knowing his track record, but the results thus far, were positive.

--

Kelwana, British Columbia, Canada

Two Weeks Ago

Jack burst backstage after winning the Internet title and looked at it approvingly. He was very pleased with himself and having won the title. He was actually grinning and didn’t notice Bobbie Dahl was standing behind him.

Jack: That’s right. Champ baby!

Jack was showing off to anyone who was within earshot, however, he was then given a playful slap on the shoulder from Bobbie. He turned, saw that it was Bobbie and his smile disappeared.

Bobbie: Congratulations. I think we made a pretty good team out there.

Jack: Whoa, team?

Bobbie: Uh yeah, we even got a victory celebration and everything.

Jack: I did not need you to pick me up.

Bobbie: Okay, next time you can pick me up.

Jack: That’s not what I -

Bobbie: We can talk about the choreography and everything on the road.

Jack: Excuse me?

Bobbie: You know, travel together. Like a team. I’ve got some interesting ideas.

Jack: We are NOT traveling together.

Bobbie: Sure, we are! Like a true team! We just went out there and won. It was great! We can even have a team name. I’m just spit-balling here but “Team JackBob!” 

Jack: JackBob? That’s not even a word. It doesn’t go together.

Bobbie: Like I said... Spitballing! We can discuss this on the trip to Scotland. Which... by the way... what do you think about kilts? You shave your legs or...

Jack: ENOUGH! We are not...

Bobbie: We ARE a team. We just won.

Jack: No, I won. You just happened to be there.

Bobbie was frustrated by Jack’s immediate dismissal of her efforts.

Bobbie: You’ve gotta be kidding me! We won because we worked together!

Jack: No, I don’t think you understand. I won. I am the Internet champion. You didn’t win anything.

Bobbie: I WON THE MATCH! WITH YOU!

Jack recoils from Bobbie shouting at him. He put his hands up and tried to calm Bobbie down.

Jack: Alright, alright, relax. You didn’t screw it up.

Bobbie rolls her eyes and gives another frustrated sigh.

Bobbie: Is this all you wanted out this? You have a title and now you don’t care?

Jack: To be fair, I never really cared for this team in the first place.

Bobbie: That’s not the point! You know damn well it was teamwork that got us that win. The least you can do is acknowledge that!

Jack sighs.

Jack: Okay, fine. WE won the match. Are you happy now?

Bobbie: No. Look I get it, okay? You don’t like anybody, you don’t trust anybody. You’ve made the perfectly clear like 100 times. You don’t have to like me. But dammit, I’m trying to build at least a little rapport here! I’m trying to do the thing that you want me to do!

Jack: No, you’re not. You’re trying to be my friend or whatever. If you really wanted to do what I wanted you to do, you would have simply come up, congratulated me, and then gone off to do whatever it is you do in your spare time, and then ready yourself for the next match we’re gonna have. And then you show up, focused and ready to go. 

Bobbie: You really don’t get it, do you? I’m TRYING. You don’t understand, at all.

Jack: I don’t really want to.

Bobbie: Some of us don’t have all the advantages you do. Some of us don’t WORK the way that you think we should. I’m not a robot! I’m a human, and I need some interactions! And you need to respect that! You need to respect ME! You think I LIKE all the things people say about me?! You think I’m just gonna accept it? NO! I’m TRYING! 

Jack takes a breath and again holds his hands up.

Jack: Alright, I get it. Look... uh... good job out there. Okay, is that good?

Bobbie: It’s a start. Why are you like this?

Jack turns away, and puts the title on his shoulder.

Jack: Because I have to be. Been burned too many times, and people I actually care about have been hurt because of it. So yeah, I play this shit close to the vest. And I’m not going to allow people in. Because that’s the point that they find the best place to stab you in the back.

Bobbie: You think I’M going to stab you in the back? Why would I stab you in the back? 

Jack: Not... you in particular. You’re just with everybody else.

Bobbie: I can promise you now, I’m not going to stab you in the back. I want to win this as much as you do. I'm sick and tired of people making fun of me. I’m sick of being called a loser. I’m sick of all that! 

Jack turns his head to glance at Bobbie.

Jack: Then you need to stop doing stuff like this and toughen up.

Bobbie: I did that. And I could be a cold cynic like you. But you know what that got me? Nothing. I can’t do that. I won’t do that. And if that makes me a loser, then I guess I’m a loser. You can be just like everybody else and think that.

Jack: … 

Bobbie: Go ahead. Say it so that we can just get it out of the way and whomever we wrestle next time out can just pick up the pieces. 

Jack: … You’re not a loser. You have a loser’s mentality. I’m just... I don’t know why... but I’m trying to fix that.

Bobbie: And you’re doing a terrible job. You don’t have to like me, but at least... at least... respect me as a person, and as... your partner. Even if it’s just for a couple more weeks.

Jack: … As a person, I respect you. Partner? You held your own. I respect that.

Bobbie: Thank you.

Jack: Don’t let that go to your head.

Bobbie: … Yeah, I won’t.

Jack: Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go celebrate.

Jack begins to walk away

Bobbie: Hey uh.... good talk?

Jack: Yeah...

--

Glasgow Airport

Glasgow, Scotland

Jack arrived without Bobbie this time. He actually got peace and quiet on the flights from Vegas to New York, and then the long 16 hours to Glasgow. Jack actually wasn’t recognized and didn’t bother to make himself known as he simply exited the plane, walked through the airport and collected his luggage, before heading to the rental car area. He walked up after a small wait in line he marched up to the counter.

Jack: I’m with Sin City Wrestling. There should be an SUV for me.

Receptionist: Name?

Jack: Jack Washington.

The Receptionist stops, and looks at a few things on her screen before smiling.

Receptionist: Aye! Mrs. Washington already picked it up and she’s waiting for you.

Jack: Mrs. Washington? There must be some mistake. I’m...

From behind Jack. Bobbie slaps him on the shoulder. She has a huge grin on her face.

Bobbie: Jackie!

Jack: …

Bobbie: Oh, sorry, I got us the ride already, it’s cool!

Jack sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. You would think he was 10 the way he was acting.

Jack: Why?

Bobbie: We’re PARTNERS. Come on. 

Jack: I can get my own car...

Bobbie: No worries, I got you.

Jack: I...

Jack didn’t want to make a scene, but he was pretty close to doing it anyway. He begrudgingly picked up his bag and followed Bobbie. Once they got to the car, Jack stopped.

Jack: WHAT THE HELL, BOBBIE!

Bobbie: What? Partners remember?

Jack: No! This is not part of the deal! We do not need to travel together! I can get my own car! And you told them you were my WIFE?!

Bobbie: We got a better car because of it! 

Jack: Why are you doing this to me?

Bobbie: Because you need it. This is going to be so cool. We need to get you in the kilt, and then we can visit the spooky lighthouse! It’s a road trip!

Jack: NO! OH MY GOD, NO! What is wrong with you? 

Bobbie: I thought... we were making progress?

Jack: Don’t. Don’t pull that right now. I had a long flight, I just want to go to the hotel, and sleep. I am not in the mood for these stupid things! You steal my car reservation, you tell people you’re my wife, and you want to visit some stupid lighthouse?! And you expect me to just roll with that?

Bobbie: I’m TRYING!

Jack: I can’t. I just can’t.

Jack picks up his bag and just starts walking. It really didn’t occur to him that he was just in a completely different country with no way around or knowing of which was he was going to be going, but he knew he had to get away from Bobbie. He simply started walking and exited the airport grounds and just started going. After a few minutes, Bobbie was pulling up beside him, slowly and waving to get his attention.

Bobbie: Don’t be like that... please?

Jack tried to ignore her and kept walking, not wanting to continue this.

Bobbie: I’m sorry. Okay! I was just trying to make this work! Please, just... come on, please get in the car. Look, I’ll drive you to the hotel and that’ll be it. I promise. 

Jack finally stopped, and Bobbie eagerly pulled over to the side of the road to let Jack in. Jack was still fuming, but relented and entered the SUV.

Bobbie: I was just trying to do something nice. I admit I went overboard. I was trying to be spontaneous. Help build our bond.

Jack: By stealing my reservation?!

Bobbie: I know. It’s overboard. I’m sorry. 

Jack: Just... just drive.

Bobbie and Jack drove to the hotel where the SCW wrestlers were staying and Jack checked in, along with Bobbie. 

Jack: I swear if you got us the same room...

Bobbie: No! Of course not! I can respect your privacy. I’ve got things to occupy myself with.

Jack: I didn’t need to know that.

Bobbie: NOT LIKE THAT!

Jack: Could we?

Bobbie: Yeah, sorry. Can I... Can I ask a favor?

Jack stopped and glared at Bobbie. He was in no mood for this, struggling to contain his rage.

Jack: WHAT? What could you possibly do to ruin this whole trip even further?

Bobbie: I just... I wanted to know if I could get you to just sit and we can talk strategy again. These are different opponents and stuff so, I just... I know I screwed things up, but I just want to get back on track. 

Jack: If this is something stupid...

Bobbie: No, not at all. I promise. Straight up.

Jack eyed Bobbie suspiciously as he would normally. He shook his head, clearly done for the day with all the nonsense.

Jack: Fine. 

Bobbie: Great. I’ll see you tomorrow then? I’ll call you.

Jack: Whatever.

--

Click.

Jack is proudly showing off the SCW Internet title over his shoulder, and the cocky grin smeared all over his face. He let’s out a satisfied laugh as he begins.

Jack: Well, well well. Would you look at that. I told Alexander not to tempt fate. I warned him what was going to happen if he lost. And low and behold, he did. Damn, I hate to say I told you so, but... ah, who the hell am I kidding, I LOVE to say I told you so! I told you Alex, that if you tried for this dumbass crusade of “trying to get a win back” it would blow up in your face, and guess what? It DID! I hope you feel really stupid, or as stupid as you look right now, both literally and figuratively. All the bluster, all that talk, and you failed. And now, I AM THE INTERNET CHAMPION AGAIN! How does it feel, Alexander? How does it feel to be a complete failure? I told you I was going to rub this in your face, and I have to say, it feels really, really good to be doing it right now! You should have never pissed me off, and now, and forever, you will have to live with the fact that for all that, you walk away eliminated, and now, empty handed.

And to be fair, I wasn’t even trying to win this damn title. I already proved I was the best Internet champion in YEARS. I had no desire to win it again, because it proves nothing. but you know what, I’ll take it, and make it even better than you ever could. This title right here, is as far as you will EVER go, and that’s just a fact of life. You now have nothing you can do, but deal with it. Get used to this level of disappointment, Alexander, it’s going to be this way for a long, long time.

Jack buffs the belt with the side of his hand, and is very pleased with himself. His demeanor changes slightly as he continues.

Jack: Now, let me move on, because Alexander is in my rearview mirror. Let me move on to this week. Actually, no. I need to say something to... Bobbie Dahl.

Look Bobbie, you... you didn’t screw it up, and you held you own. That was a good first step. But the fact remains I don’t want to listen to you babble and ramble on about nonsense like you’ve been doing. Let’s get this straight: We are NOT friends. We’re not allies, accomplices, acquaintances, pen pals, none of that. We are simply partners based on a random draw. Nothing else. The deal is real simple, you hold up your end, and I will lead us to victory, just like I did two weeks ago. It’s not that hard. Look, you got this Laura Phoenix chick. I don’t care what you say about her or whatever. You know what you have to do. You know that another win puts us in the semi-finals. 

I get what you said to me. Not everyone can function like I choose to. So, we will have a level of understanding and I am okay with that. But again, this is a partnership out of chance. This is a chance for both of us to get better.

And for the record... based on what you’ve accomplished, you aren’t a loser. That’s about as nice as I can put it at this point, and don’t let that go to your head. You didn’t let me down this week, but I’ve been here in this very spot before, and then round 2 comes and bam, my partner fails me. It’s happened twice already. Just focus on what all these naysayers are gonna think. And while they are going to be correct that I carried you to the round one victory, that doesn’t mean you can’t come through and pull your weight. This is a golden opportunity for you. Based on how it looks, this Laura Phoenix chick sucks, and you can take her. You know what you have to do. Just don’t let me down, and don’t let yourself down.

Jack nods, believing his semi pep talk to be sufficient.

Jack: Now, onto the main course of this week. It’s you and me again, Cowboy. We gotta stop meeting like this, although that would mean we don’t meet ever, which would be fine by me, because quite frankly, I’m tired you. When this match was made, I was about to ask, why the hell MY championship is on the line, when you entered this stupid tournament as the champion and YOUR title should be on the line. 

But then, I remembered that you don’t even have a title anymore, Cowboy.

That’s right, you lost your title and some old asshat has it. You got nothing, and let’s not get any stupid ideas in that thick heads of your that you’re somehow going to win this title from me on Sunday. If you’re thinking about that, you better start thinking about baseball or some shit. You are NOT about to take this championship from me simply because you, much like Alexander, are hell bent on finally getting one over on me.

Oh sure, you won the fatal four-way, and you won the world title, and I’m sure you felt really good about it. But you’ve already noted that you can’t beat me. I mean, if you REALLY want to count that four-way match as you beating me, you can. But you know deep down in your heart that you didn’t pin me, you didn’t make me submit, you pinned some other asshole who didn’t belong in the match in the first place. You got that tainted victory, and now, you have another chance, Cowboy. You can make things right.

But then again, you’ve almost resigned yourself to the fact that you may not ever be able to beat me. That little piece of doubt is all I need, Cowboy. Because it tells me what I need to know. I’m in your head. I know now when you saw that this match was the match that was going to happen, you groaned, didn’t you? Oh yeah, you said to yourself, “well shit” or “Great horny-toades" or whatever you Cowboy’s say. Because you knew then, and you know now, that I’m going to beat you yet again. I’m gonna advance in this tournament, and really, right now, maybe you’re thanking your lucky stars that you’re NOT the world champion, because...well shit, Cowboy... you’d be about to lose that title to me. 

Jack smirks at this comment.

Jack: Oh my god, would that have been hilarious. I would have beaten the two top champions in the company back-to-back matches. Oh, that would have really pissed people off! But sadly, you don’t have the title anymore. So, you can take a deep breath, you can just relax and enjoy this next loss to me and just add it to the mental checklist you’ve made when it comes to wrestling me.

But you know, part of me actually respects the fact that you are aware that you may not be able to beat me in the ring one on one. And I get it, this match technically isn’t one on one. So, you know even if by some miracle you managed to win, it still wouldn’t be in a one-on-one situation. But I know you want this win badly. You want to get back to having yet another championship match when you clearly don’t deserve it anyway, but winning this tournament would be something for you. And I know you’d feel like you got that monkey off your back if you managed to win against me while doing it. That’s the real prize isn’t it, Cowboy? That’s what you’re really after in this whole thing. Because you really need to prove it to yourself more than anything.

Raven did the same thing two weeks ago, my guy, and you run a mighty risk of failing yet again, much like he did. Are you really sure it’s worth it to put it all on the line like that? Am I under your skin that much? Do you want to punch me in my face and shut me up for good? Does it mean that much to you? I know you’re going to play it cool, but you’ve already let too much slip. You’ve already shown how much I am in your head. 

So what’s it going to be like for you to lose to me again?

Again, lucky for you, you’re not the world champion, because I already made history in this tournament, and you know deep down I would have made more at your expense. I would have taken that title from you. And you know, I could have stopped right there. Because that’s what this is about for me. I don’t need to beat you, I’ve been there and done that. I’ve done it, and still you get called great. Yeah, that one pissed me off. But at the end of the day Cowboy, I’ve moved on because I am better than you. You know it and I know it. It’s not like it’s rocket surgery or even brain science. But how are you going to deal with it, is not the most intriguing thing.

Like, are you going to brush it off? I know that you’ll want to. You’ll want to give me the stone face and act like it didn’t happen or that if doesn’t really bother you. But I know it does. You know it does. This one isn’t count to techincally count on the scoreboard, and really, you should be thankful we’re not keeping score, because this would turn into a blowout real quick. 

But maybe, you’re thinking you can save face and maybe earn an ounce of momentum, because you think you’re going to take this title from me. Let’s just stop playing pretend Cowboy. Let’s stop with this. You’re not going to beat me, and you’re not going to win this match period. This is where the tournament ENDS for you. This is where I beat you again and I move on and you get left in the dust. You are left to pick up the pieces once again. I can’t wait to see that happen again.

Jack rubs his hands together ready to wrap this up.

Jack: But hey, don’t worry Cowboy, I’m sure you’ll just get some random rematch and they will continue to think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread yet again. That’s how this seems to work around here. You were just given the title that I earned, and continue to earn each and every time I’m out in that ring. All this match really is, is more of me proving that fact. It’s more ammo for me when I say that I am everything I say I am. 

You are just more proof. That’s just it my guy. Nothing more. Me and my... my partner, we’re going on to the semi-finals. And then to the finals. It started with taking this championship from Alexander Raven, it will continue with beating you, and then whoever else stands in the way. 

And as far as Laura Phoenix goes? Meh. I don’t have to worry about her, Bobbie will take care of her. That’s right, I’m prediciting it here and now. 

Maybe there’s something to this whole trust thing. Maybe.

Whatever. Look, Cowboy, I’m going to beat your ass and you know it. Just get all the excuses you can ready for when it happens. I will once again prove to you, and everyone else, I am the FACE of this franchise.

See you in the semi's.

Jack looks back down at the Internet title as we fade to black.

Click.

Face. Of. The. Franchise.