Author Topic: Flash From The Past  (Read 355 times)

Offline Kristopher Ryans

• View Profile
    • Kristopher Ryans
Flash From The Past
« on: June 15, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »

The feed comes to life focused on a blank television screen. Seconds go by without registering any audio, and viewers start to wonder if their screens are frozen. Suddenly, static spread across the screen. It is all snow at first, but a familiar voice starts to cut through the sound. The picture becomes more and more clear, finally showing the two brothers known collectively as Jet City standing next to each other.

Jason:
“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, bitches and hoes, crackers and dark chocolates, and anyone in between….”

The feed cuts out for just a second, and comes back on Kris’ smiling face.

Kris:
“In two weeks’ time, our heroes, the dynamic duo known as Jet City, will step into the Galen Center, in beautiful Los Angeles, California to challenge Jon “Pillsbury” Dough and Eyesnsane for the SCW Tag Team Championships...”

Viewers start to piece together why the two are standing side by side. The clips are not of present day. Instead, we cycle through some a few more clips quickly, highlights of both Kris and Jason from their time in SCW together. The clips quickly fade back to the original video from the duo.

Jason:
“So… without further ado, we give you, the multi-time world champion “Jack of Hearts” Jason Halich…”

The two men on the screen fight over the microphone, but the feed runs through images of Jason’s career, and introduction into SCW.

Kris:
“The former SCW Internet Champion and the only half of the team to actually win an SCW match in his career! He is “The Accident” Kris Halich!”

Several images of Kris holding his first championship in the company flash on the screen just as their voices join together now, on the same page for just a single moment.

Jason & Kris:
“WE ARE!”

The camera cycles back to entrances the two have made into the SCW arenas together, each one with Kris screaming out the same line.

Kris:
“Jet!”

We cut quickly to several different clips of Jason finishing the team name.

Jason:
“City!”

The screen fades to static again, but the pause is shorter this time. We appear to fast forward through time, catching up with the two brothers a week later, again standing in the frame together, but this time behind opposing podiums.

Jason:
“The path that we are going to carve through SCW is not one of individual notoriety or accomplishment. Jet City is not some partnership to arbitrarily be thrown away when we feel it is time to rise above the group and make a run as individuals. We have done that. We have been champions in the past. The thing that we have never done, but the thing that we are going to do in a little over a week, is win a championship together. SCW has given us the opportunity to do just that. We are not going to let them down. You may not exactly be cheering for us, often times you will probably boo us, but one thing that will never be, is bored by us.”

The cheers of the people in attendance for the debate kicks off another series of clips, each one showing fans on their feet cheering either in Jet City gear, or holding supportive signs. When it cuts back to the the two men, the focus is on Jason.

Jason:
“And for any of you that are fans of The Members of the Elders, you might want to go ahead and phone a ride home for them from the Galen Center, because they are going to need it.”

He tosses the microphone back to his brother, who holds it up.

Kris:
“Someone call the ambulance! There’s gonna be an Accident!”

Static takes over again, only to cut to Jason once more.

Jason:
“You say that the pressure is on us to prove ourselves. You could not be more wrong. See, as the new team on the block, not having wrestled a match in the last six months, going against the tag team champions, we have no chance…. On paper.”

We cut seamlessly to Kris who is beaming confidence, even before ever becoming an SCW Grand Slam Champion.

Kris:
“We are unproven, rusty, and as new as we could possibly be. How embarrassing would it be for you to lose to us?”

Suddenly the purpose of the trip down memory lane becomes more clear. The smile on Kris’ face makes it even more apparent, but instead of dwelling on it, we shift back to Jason.

Jason:
“On the other hand, when we beat you, you look incredibly silly. All of those things about running the division become punchlines. Your names in history become a placeholder between teams that actually mean something. The things we said about The Elders beating a team on the way out, become fact, not opinion. You will go down as a team that dropped the titles without having the ability to defend them, at a time where the tag team division was at its weakest point. When you two lose those titles Sunday, you lose everything.”

The screen flashes shots from the battle that had not yet taken place, with both members of Jet City getting the better of The Elders on their way to their amazing tag championship reign.

Kris:
“And when we win, we hit the ground running and become the team that is going to lead this division out of the dark times and back into the spotlight.”

More clips show in rapid succession of Jet City's dominance on their way to becoming tag team of the year.

Jason:
“Strap in guys. We are taking SCW for a ride.”

The feed starts to become more unstable, fading as the two brother finish out the old promo.

Kris:
“Jet.”

By the time Jason responds, the screen is snow, and Jason's voice can barely be heard.

Jason:
“City.”

The screen goes blank, but the feed does not die. Instead, it starts to pan back from the screen. Standing next to it, is the SCW World Heavyweight Champion, with the belt draped over his shoulder. There is a half-smile on his face as he looks down at the screen.

“I find trips down memory lane amusing…”

He looks up from the television screen and into the camera, but his expression does not change.

“I look at them as lessons, but not for me. For all of you.”

The champion gives a light shrug of his shoulders.

“That was me at my least capable. I was coming in with a partner that I was in constant conflict with. I was part of a collective that was either amazing, or combustible and there was no in between. I hadn't competed in any tag matches in a long time, and I had only won a single match since coming out of retirement. The Elder Bitches, not to be confused with the Female Elders..”

He chuckles at the old joke, but does not let it get him off topic.

“...they were the first real test. We were an unproven team, and I was an unreliable member of this roster. I was a joke that people used to insult one another when they were half-assing their commitments. I was a notorious flake with an unjustifiable ego…

He motions back to the screen as his smile widens.

“...but I was still right.”

He taps his fingertips on the top of the television screen a few times and then moves away from it. As he walks the camera follows.

“I hadn't broken any Roulette Championship records yet. I hadn't even successfully won a Roulette match. Jason and I came in and talked a big game about walking away with championships in our first match here, and how did Jon respond? Does anyone even remember?”

He waits for a response that cannot possibly come from the audience, but then answers his own question.

“They tried to pull us apart as a team. They tried to paint us as two separate people only in it because we could not find success on our own. They proclaimed themselves to be the very best that this company had to offer, and Jet City drove over them like they were a worn down speed bump.”

He motions back towards the screen, even though it is long out of the frame.

“Did The Elder Bitches ever get it turned around? Nah. I said they were going to be a footnote, and I was right. They dispersed without even cashing in a rematch. They ran from us, and never looked back. Jet City went on to revamp the division. We brought tag team wrestling back to life in Sin City. Team BJ made a return. London Underground showed up on the scene. We elevated the division by ridding it of Jon Dough, and everyone was better off for it.”

Instead of seeming happy about it, Kris seems genuinely annoyed by something.

“I moved on from the tag titles in order to do that in another division. I saw another championship that was becoming a punchline because of the people in contention for it. Just like I did with The Elders, I took that championship, and revived it. I broke records. I had the longest active win streak in the company for a while. I won awards.”

The list of his accomplishments does not seem to improve his mood at all.

“London Underground carries the weight for the tag division, and they do it in a way that doesn't make anyone miss the Jet City days. They won the tag titles on both sides of the roster, and then won the mixed tag titles too. My work elevating that division paid off. I feel good about it.”

He shakes his head, finally revealing his frustration.

“That is why watching someone like Jon ruin the Roulette Championship all over again grates on me. That is why this match means something to me. That is why I was excited about seeing it on the card.”

He raises his hand up and taps the faceplate of the SCW World Heavyweight Championship on his shoulder.

“Champion versus champion? I have only dreamed to being able to do something like that. When I held the Roulette Championship, the guy holding this one wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. He was afraid. Getting to correct his mistake as a champion is going to be exciting, but I wish it was against someone worthwhile.”

The small burst of positivity was short-lived as his thoughts wander back to Jon.

“I put myself through hell with Crimson in order to hang onto this championship. I take what I do seriously, even while I am cracking jokes at others expense. I am not some rusty disappointment going into this match. I am not an unproven going into a match with stakes. Nah, I am the best in this company, just like I said I was going to be and Jon Dough is a disappointing placeholder in history just like I said he would be.”

Kris holds his arms out to his side, giving the audience a full and unapologetic shrug.

“You don't have to like it, but it is true. The guy couldn't defend the tag titles and left the division. He only won the Roulette Championship because I vacated it and he snuck in at the last moment. He lost that one in his first defense too, and then needed Ty West to do the legwork for him in order to get it back. Those are not opinions. Those are not things I say to be mean. Those are facts.”

He crosses his arms in front of his chest, pinning the championship to his shoulder.

“This guy is a poor use of screen time and a black hole of missed opportunities to prove himself. As a champion, he is more focused on Ben Jordan than the people he has matches against. You know what Ben really deserves better than? You. A competitor that is still just a mediocre placeholder while we wait for someone better to finally rid the roster of his presence.”

He shakes his head.

“This match could have really been something special if SCW had a Roulette Champion worthy of being in the same ring with the top guy. It would be exciting if this was another scenario like my match with Crimson, although I don't have much ear left to give for that kind of thing…”

He turns his head slightly so that the fans can see his mostly healed ear. The wound is long closed, but the chunk that Crimson removed from it during their match is still missing in action.

“Instead we are going to get a re-run of Jon Dough getting demolished by me. I just hope that someone makes him put that title on the line next week, because whatever is left of him isn't going to be able to put up a fight. Maybe we can get a decent champion out of the beating he is about to take. One can hope…”

He comes closer to the camera, and it starts to zoom in on his face. The championship disappears from view, but the signature smirk comes across Kris’ face.

“I don't really say this anymore, but for the first time, maybe someone should take the advice.”

A light laugh cuts him off, but only briefly.

“Do yourself a favor Jon. On your way out to the ring, pull out that phone of yours and look up the closest hospital to the show. Go ahead and call them up to get an ambulance in transit before the fight even gets under way. I’ll make sure you're ready for them by the time they get here.”

He winks to the camera.

“For the betterment of SCW, you're about to have an accident.”

>