Author Topic: On The Border  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Seleana Zdunich

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • Seleana Zdunich
On The Border
« on: November 10, 2023, 05:33:28 PM »
Off-Camera

Friday, November 10, 2023
Living Room
Zdunich Apartment
Las Vegas, Nevada
9:01 PM  PST

39 minutes…

That was how long it took to make the trip from Las Vegas to Primm, Nevada as it sat on the border between Nevada and California. That was how long the trip would take Seleana Zdunich on Sunday to drive to her match with Bobbie Dahl and how long it would take to drive back after to get ready for her daughter’s thirteenth birthday. The birthday was on Tuesday and little Aurora had still not made any requests.

Seleana Zdunich: What do you want for your birthday?

Seleana smiles, trying to offer her safety, security and stability inside the living room of the apartment she was allowed to share during her cancer treatments with her biological mother, Angelica Martinez, before

Seleana Zdunich: We can do whatever you want, ja?

Aurora shakes her head.

Aurora Zdunich: I…

Sensing difficulties, Seleana nods slowly.

Seleana Zdunich: It is ok, you can say, It will be alright.

Aurora shakes her head. Seleana frowns in confusion.

Seleana Zdunich: What is it, älskling?

Aurora looks away, tears in her eyes.

Aurora Zdunich: I…

Seleana nods to her. Aurora slowly looks back into her mother’s eyes.

Aurora Zdunich: I want Mommy to come home.

A look of surprise comes over Seleana’s face. This was not what she anticipated at all. Her mouth opens slowly, trying to find the words.

Seleana Zdunich: Jag…

Aurora nods as if he knew the answer was going to be negative.

Aurora Zdunich: I know… you can’t because Mommy started drinking again.

Seleana stares at Aurora in shock.

Seleana Zdunich: You… know?

Aurora nods.

Seleana Zdunich: How?

Aurora goes quiet, tears streaming down her face.

Aurora Zdunich: Juliet was over at our house. We were in-game and we heard a crash in the kitchen. We went down there and Mommy ws in the middle of a bunch of empty bottles and he’d broken one…

Aurora looks away in shame and guilt.

Aurora Zdunich: She begged us not to tell anyone. Promised to buy us a bunch of stuff we knew we’d never see.

Seleana nods and then takes the girl into her arms.

Seleana Zdunich: I am sorry you had to see that. I was trying to protect you from it.

She sighs heavily.

Seleana Zdunich: I fail.

Seleana kisses the top of the little girl’s head.

Seleana Zdunich: She is in New York. She take apartment there for football.  Zenna visit, take her to a meeting. Been to more than one now. Aunt Li visit too.

Aurora nods slowly before looking at her mother.

Aurora Zdunich: Will they come see us?

Knowing the league plays its games on Tuesdays, Seleana can only hope the answer she gives is good enough.

Seleana Zdunich: I will ask. They might have to come early depending on football.

Aurora nods and collapses into mother’s chest again.

Aurora Zdunich: Is Mommy Alex coming?

Seleana nods quickly, a smile coming to her face.

Seleana Zdunich: Of course, she promised she would. Alex will be here whenever we ask her to be.

Aurora nods into her mother’s chest.

Aurora Zdunich: When is your next match?

Seleana barely moves.

Seleana Zdunich: Sunday, in Primm. It is a quick drive. You come with me?

Aurora looks up at her mother in shock.

Aurora Zdunich: I can?

Seleana nods.

Seleana Zdunich: If you wish, of course. You can choose to remain here with Freja and Lucy or you can accompany me to Primm.

Aurora squeezes her tightly, her joy shining through the tears.

Aurora Zdunich: I love you, Mommy!

Seleana kisses the top of her head again as tears start rolling down her own face.

Seleana Zdunich: Jag älskar dig också älskling.

On-Camera

Friday, November 10, 2023
Parking Lot
Zdunich Apartment Complex
Las Vegas, Nevada
9:01 PM  PST

The camera opens upon Seleana Zdunich standing in the parking lot looking over towards the lights of the Las Vegas Strip.

Seleana Zdunich: Bobbie Dahl…

She nods slowly, turning her attention away from the Strip and towards the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: I know some will think I should be disappointed that you are not Roxi but…

Shrugging quickly, Seleana shakes her head in the negative.

Seleana Zdunich: Bobbie, you are a unique talent with so much ability it is unsettling where you are now. You should have destroyed people you face. You are so much bigger and physically imposing than most of us…

Looking away, Seleana shakes her head yet again in shock at how Bobbie’s matches go.

Seleana Zdunich: You should be laying waste to people.

She looks back to the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: And you do.

A small smile comes across her face.

Seleana Zdunich: You tend to beat the hell out of your opponents, ja? 

She nods knowingly, pointedly as if grudgingly acknowledging a point.

Seleana Zdunich: And that brings us to why many will feel I should be disappointed…

She starts going down the list of accomplishments.

Seleana Zdunich: Roxi has been Bombshell World Champion five times. She has been Bombshell Roulette Champion. She has been Bombshell Internet Champion three times including being the second one ever.

She looks up and nods.

Seleana Zdunich: You… have not.   

Seleana allows herself a snicker.

Seleana Zdunich: Roxi is an SCW Hall of Famer…

She shrugs matter-of-factly.

Seleana Zdunich: Neither of us are.

The smile fades.

Seleana Zdunich: A win against Roxi would be very meaningful but it would not immediately vault me up to the top.

She shakes her head.

Seleana Zdunich: I’ve been to the top. I have been Bombshell World Champion. I have been Bombshell Roulette Champion. There is no one win that will vault me to the next level because zI am always denigrated for what my wife did before. She is a Hall of Famer herself and yet…

Seleana shrugs.

Seleana Zdunich: So, here we are, Bobbie. We will stand on the border between California and Nevada for this show and match just as we stand on the border between being seen as just good and being a member of the elite seen as greatness.

Her gaze changes to a determined glare.

Seleana Zdunich: I am under no illusions that I will change all the minds about me but you have time, Bobbie.

She nods slightly.

Seleana Zdunich: You have the time, the ability and if you have the hunger…

She nods pointedly again.

Seleana Zdunich: You can do it.

She steps back and swings her arm out wide.

Seleana Zdunich: For now, we must be content in this moment to go out there and lay everything we have on that border and do all we can to shove ourselves into the category we all strive for. I am ready, Bobbie… are you?

She reaches out and motions at Bobbe to meet her.

Seleana Zdunich: Let us find out together, ja?