Author Topic: The Path To Redemption  (Read 466 times)

Offline O Malley

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • O'Malley
The Path To Redemption
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
 I'm standing backstage, waiting for Max's match to finish here on the Morningstar Beach in St. Thomas.  I walked out of my own match successful, having defeated Raynin and making her tap, again.  Ruby didn't join me at ringside this time, as Odette had the pleasure of doing so, but it doesn't erase the fact that it would have been nice to have Ruby out there supporting me.  Especially considering that Odette and I are still on rocky territory.

So I need to speak with her, and soon.  I can't take the anger and resentment she still feels towards me.  I've given her the space she has clearly needed, but it's time to bite the bullet and have a one-on-one conversation, without Max around.  I'm glad she and Max have grown closer, though.  At least she is showing some loyalty to someone other than myself.

I'm watching the final minutes to Max's blindfold match, practically biting my nails.  I know how much Max had worked to win the Roulette Championship from Kain, so having to defend it against that same man so soon must have been equally challenging for him.  It has been an interesting match to say the least; one that has never been done before in SCW.  But both Max and Kain have done a great job dealing with this blindfold match.  Hell, they've done better than I ever would have!  It's not an easy task having to wrestle without being able to see anything at all, but they have made do.

Unfortunately for Kain, things haven't gone in his favor.  Our new Heavyweight Champion, and first ever triple crown winner, Goth, got involved-after Ruby attempted to do the same thing however- and cost him the match.  Given their history it's not surprising that Goth got interfered, but I'm not going to feel bad.  Max still has the Roulette Championship in his possession and that is all that matters.  

Immediately after Climax Control goes off the air, I head to the curtain leading to the ramp.  Max and Ruby should be walking through any minute, and I need to catch her as soon as possible.  No sooner than that thought hits my mind then do they walk through the curtain, hand in hand.  The Roulette Championship is placed proudly over Max's shoulder, and the grin on his face can not be easily wiped away.  Ruby also has a rare smile on her face; one that I have never seen before.  But as soon as she looks up and sees me standing there waiting for them, the smile soon fades away.  Max's, however, does not.  Ruby is prepared to go about her business with Max, and completely ignore me, but he holds her back, thankfully.

"Great job out there, Max." I say with a smile. "Don't take this the wrong way, but it was rather amusing watching that match."

"No biggie," he replies with an arrogant shrug. "I still walked away victorious, and that's all that matters."

Ruby tugs on Max's arm, not even looking in my direction.  He doesn't budge, however.

"Max, let's go.  We have some celebrating to do." Ruby says, trying to twist his arm and get away from me as quickly as she can.  At least I know she can hold a grudge against me.

"Actually, Max, do you mind if I borrow Ruby for just a few minutes?  It won't take long and then you two can go out and celebrate." I turn my attention to Max.  I can see Ruby shaking her head at him, telling him not to agree.  They whisper amongst each other as she voices her displeasure.

"Sure thing," he finally says in agreement.  Ruby closes her eyes and sighs, then pulls her hand away from his. "You two need to talk anyway and work all this out.  Come find me when you're done."  He leans in and gives Ruby a quick peck on her cheek, though she is now unhappy with him.  He shakes his head with a smile, perfectly content dealing with the Ruby's feisty personality.

"See ya later, Misty." He says as he steps away, walking past me.  I acknowledge him with just a nod before I turn my attention back to Ruby, who still refuses to look at me.

"Okay, I understand you were pissed off at me for signing you to a contract in ACW, but enough with the cold shoulder already, Ruby.  It's done and over with." I say, taking a step towards her.  She turns her head very slowly and glares at me.  If I didn't know any better, I'd think she were wishing that I was dead.

"You may think so, my queen, but it is far from over." She replies, and the emphasis on the words my queen have an underlying hatred in them.  "Congratulations on your victory.  I'm sure you'd like to go do some celebrating of your own with Odette Ryder."  She folds her arms across her chest, turning her attention away from me again, hissing at one of the backstage workers that passes by.  

"Please tell me you are not suddenly jealous of Odette?" I ask with a sigh.  "You could have been out there with me tonight, you know, but you said no!"

"Do you want to know why?" She says, slowly turning her attention back to me and speaking each word slowly and ominously.

I nod and reply, "Yes.  As a matter of fact, I would."

Ruby glances to my tag team championship belt placed on a table beside me, glaring at it with a disgusted look on her face before she turns her attention back to me.

"You don't need me anymore," she says as she once again folds her arms across her chest. "You are teamed with Odette Ryder now.  You have had absolutely no problem pawning me off on Max in recent weeks and when I finally take your advice, you suddenly change your mind?  Perhaps Miss Ryder will have no problem doing your bidding now that you two are the tag team champions and those titles mean so much to you.  I do not care anymore."

Ruby tries to walk away  but I grab her by her arm and stop her.  She looks down at my hand, then lifts her head to glare at me, yanking her hand away from mine.

"Do not make the mistake in thinking I am not capable of hurting you, Misty." She snaps at me with a vicious warning. "It is clear that you want nothing to do with me anymore, nor do you want my assistance, so I will do us both a favor--"

"That is not what I want!" I shout back, interrupting her.  She lets out a laugh that shows she doesn't believe me. "Ruby, I am sorry about the past few weeks, alright?  Can you just relax for a moment and let me explain myself?"

The tension doesn't subside any, but Ruby remains silent, giving me the opportunity to speak.  And she doesn't attempt to walk away again either, so I look at her thankfully.

"I know we both are doing a lot of adjusting without the Brothers around, and I know that my attitude has changed recently, but my appreciation towards you has not, and will not change.  You've done so much for me over the past year, and if I'm honest, I need you around." I admitted to her, and it was the truth.  I may not have a full understanding of why Ruby came into my life or why she has been so committed to helping me, but I can not NOT be appreciative towards her.

The silence that follows is almost deafening.  Ruby seems to be slightly more relaxed, but I can only imagine what is going through her mind.  

"Ruby, please talk to me.  You are the only person who hasn't alienated me...at least you hadn't until I signed that contract for you." I'm the one who has to break the silence again. "I was only trying to help you, because trust me Ruby, if Max didn't think you were ready--"

"The situation with that contract in ACW does not matter anymore." She interrupts me, but I don't mind.  I'm just glad she is speaking to me again. "ACW is officially closed, and I will not be bringing my contract over to Sin City Wrestling, and don't you dare make the mistake of doing so for me again."

I shake my head, agreeing that the decision lies solely with her.  

"I promise I won't." I reply.  "I wish you would change your mind--"

She glares at me with her nostrils flared.

"But I will let you decide whenever you are ready."  She relaxes again as I back off, defeated. "As I already said, Ruby...You are the only one who hasn't alienated me, and I couldn't bare it if you did.  You're the only person I have right now, and I'd like to keep it that way.  Forget the fact I'm teamed with Odette Ryder right now.  She has nothing to do with our friendship...at least, she doesn't have to have anything to do with it.  Can we just move past all this?  Will you still be here to support me?"

I stare at her, genuinely concerned that she may say no...that she will choose to walk away from our friendship once and for all.  I can't say I'd blame her, because even before I left the Brothers back in Las Vegas, I had been trying to get Ruby to lead her own life.  I am just hoping that she can find a place to keep me in her life of new found freedom now.  

Ruby takes a few deep breaths, then looks at me very calmly. "I can not make any promises.  I will do my best to be supportive in whatever journey you choose, but I can not guarantee that I will agree with your decisions."

A relieved smile spreads across my face, even as I notice her glaring at the tag team championship belt again.

"I completely understand." I reply. "As long as you're willing to try, that's all that matters.  I just had to make sure you were still talking to me before I left."

Ruby quickly looks at me, now curious. "Left?  Where are you going?"

I bite my lip, knowing she may not like what I am about to say. "I'm making a side trip to Chicago for a few days.  My flight leaves tomorrow night."

Ruby is clearly not thrilled with being put to the test already, but she takes in a deep breath and exhales slowly. "If...if that is what you want.  Would you like me to go with you?"

I think for a moment, tempted to say yes, but I can't. "If you would like to, I will not say no, but you don't have to.  I just need to get away for a few days, and Chicago is calling my name.  You should head to Tortola with Max.  Spend some time with him, and I'll meet up with you two later this week."

Ruby wants to protest.  I can see it in her eyes, but she does her best not to.  "It is probably for the best, I suppose.  I really should be getting back to Max.  Would you like to come celebrate with us?"

I shake my head, politely declining her offer. "Thanks, but I need to pass.  I'm actually going to go check on Drake."

As soon as I mention Drake's name, I regret it.  Ruby narrows her eyes, and all the progress I made seems to have been for nothing.

"Yes, perhaps you should." She says venomously. "Your new found friendship with Mr. Green is far more important than those of us who have been around longer than he has.  Have fun."

Ruby doesn't even give me time to defend myself as she steps past me, purposely bumping into me before heading off to find Max.  I run my hand through my hair and let out a frustrated growl, before snatching my tag team championship belt off the table, shaking my head.

"Damn it.  Looks like I have to start over next week in Tortola..."

I sigh before I head off in the opposite direction to go find Drake.  Little did I know he was already back at his hotel, resting as he should be.

Tuesday September 10th
Chicago, Illinois

It may be early September and for all intents and purposes be considered fall, but the temperature in the Midwest says otherwise.  Summer hasn't officially ended, and Mother Nature is definately proving that she can torture residents in Illinois and the surrounding states for as long as she pleases.

Temperatures have reached the upper ninety's, with the humidity making it feel even warmer, and the overall atmosphere just makes for a miserable day.  While some residents will gladly take this heat as long as they possibly can before the inevitable winter conditions arrive in just a few months, others do not.  Even people who aren't in these conditions every day.  

People like me.

Sure I may have lived most of my life in the Midwest, and I haven't been gone for longer than a couple years, but she I have been gone long enough that my body is not used to being in this type of heat wave.  Las Vegas may get scorching temperatures as well, but to me, it is nothing compared to what the Midwest has to deal with during the Summer.  It is for this reason that I am regretting making the trip back to Illinois before heading to Tortola for Climax Control.  It was a huge detour, yes, but I haven't been to Chicago since late July after my grandmother passed away, and I needed to get away from the sandy beaches, even if it was for just a few days.

My first order of business while in Chicago is a task that I am finding rather difficult.  It was hard enough back in July, but now?  Almost two months later...it is no easier.  But I have to do it.  I have to return to the cemetery and to my grandmother's grave.  

I drive my rental car into the entrance of the cemetery, driving towards the back of the where most of my family is buried.  I park my car in the section I need to be, turning off the ignition and look out the window, about twenty feet away.  The grave is still slightly fresh, as the grass has just barely begun to grow.  

I slowly get out of the car, shutting the door behind me.  My hair is pulled back, and I am wearing a pair of black shorts with a light blue tank top, trying to deal with the scorching weather..  I walk around the car, heading over to my grandmother's grave.  My knees are shaking beneath me, and they nearly give out on me, but I hold my composure as best as I can, and I finally reach the grave, looking down at the headstone bearing my grandparent's names.  My grandmother's nameplate has not been replaced yet, as the date she passed away has yet to be added.

"I should have come back sooner, grandma." I stumble on my words, kneeling down over the grave and I run my hand over the headstone.  The dirt is dry and slightly painful against my knees, but it is a pain I can deal with.

"I'm sorry, grandma.  I'm so sorry." I lower my head and close my eyes, holding back the tears.  Nothing about this situation is right.  Nothing at all.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but I wish I could really be talking to you right now, and not to the earth below my feet.  I wish you could answer me, because I know if you were here, you'd know the right thing to say to me."

I shift my position, so I'm sitting next to the grave instead of kneeling.  I have no plans to leave anytime soon, even though the sun is beating down on me, already making me very uncomfortable.  There is a very slight breeze, but it does not ease the humidity any.  I sit there for a while; long enough where beads of sweat begin to drip down my face.  A car pulls up and parks behind my rental car, and I lift my head briefly to notice the familiar vehicle that belongs to my mother.  She steps out and walks towards me, but I don't say anything.

"I didn't know you were in town," she says as she walks over and stands next to me.  Because I am sitting, she blocks the sun from shining down on me for a moment.  

"Just got here." I don't look up at her with my response.  The coldness in my tone surprises her, but I didn't come here to see her.

"This hasn't been easy for me either, Misty." She replies, taking a seat beside me. "I thought we were making progress after we spoke on the cruise?"

"Well this is me throwing that progress away."  I say as I play with the dirt and few pieces of growing grass.  "After all, it is what I do best, isn't it?"

"I don't understand why.  You've been making a great effort lately, so what has changed?  Why the sudden attitude towards me?"

I glance at her from the corner of my eye.  I'm not sure how to answer that question, so I stay silent, keeping my eyes focused on my grandmother's name on the headstone.

"Why are you back here right now?" She asks, keeping her gaze on me as she tries to get my attention. "You are supposed to be on tour in the Caribbean.  Why did you make the trip all the way here?"

I think about the answer to that question as well.  After all it is a good question, but it surprises me that she would ask that.

"Why do you think I'm here, mother?" I snap at her and then point to my grandmother's name. "Her.  I am here because of HER.  Every decision I have made lately is because of her, and who she would want me to be, but apparently I'm doing a terrible job at it.  I'm letting everyone down.  I'm letting her down."

I can feel myself getting overwhelmed by everything and I'm doing everything in my power to hold myself together.  Unfortunately, my mother is a lot smarter than I give her credit for, and she scoots herself closer to me.  

"Sweetie, don't take this the wrong way, but get out of here." She wraps her arm around me, and I look at her, shocked. "Get back to the Caribbean.  Go defend those titles with Odette and stop being so negative."

Where the hell have I heard that before?  It doesn't matter, I shake my head and pull away from her. "Why should I?  Odette doesn't want to be teamed with me, so why don't I do us both a favor and not show up at all?  I can just walk away from it all."

My mother's eyes widen as I say this, but I don't care.  I've never been more serious about anything, and not only does it shock her, but I shock myself as well.

"You don't mean that." She says in a reassuring voice that also sounds like a question. "Not only have you worked hard for everything you have accomplished in your career so far, if you make the mistake of not showing up, and you and Odette lose those titles, she really will never trust you. Do you really want to risk that?"

"I don't know what I want anymore!" I shout I bury my head in my hands, more frustrated than ever.  My whole body is shaking...tired from fighting. "I'm just...I'm exhausted.  Physically and mentally exhausted, and I don't know how much longer I can do any of this."

The look on my mother's face gives away her confusion. "What on earth do you mean by that?"

"I mean," I begin, thinking over my next words carefully. "I don't know how much longer that wrestling will be a part of my life, or how much longer I can fight to be in this career.  Clearly people are getting tired of me being around.  They were sick of me being the Bombshell Champion.  Nobody cares that I'm half of the tag team champions now.  All it means is that they have a better chance of getting the Bombshell Championship now that I don't have it...now that I don't want it."

"So just because you don't want the singles title, you're ready to give it all up?  That's not the Misty I know." She says, and deep down I agree with her.

"It's NOT who I am, mom.  I'm not a quitter, but--"

"But what?"

I let out a long sigh. "I'm tired of trying to prove myself to everyone, when it's clearly not working!  It might be better if I just walk away now."

"No." She tells me, and it sounds like an order. "You are NOT going to walk away, do you hear me?  You say you're not a quitter, then prove it.  Quit letting everything get to you and just...fight.  You want everyone to believe in you again?  Fight for it.  Fight to keep those tag team titles, because if you want my opinion, I can see that you need them.  You're not done yet and you know it"

I take my eyes off my grandmother's headstone now, and turn towards my mother.  I didn't think it was possible for us to ever be close again, but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I've been wrong the entire time.

"I can't let her down, mom.  I can't disappoint her anymore."

A tear rolls down my cheek as I say this.  I don't say her name, but my mother knows that I'm referring to my grandmother.  She embraces me in another hug, and this time I don't pull away.

"The only person you will let down is yourself, sweetie.  You were anything but a disappointment to your grandmother."

I bury my head in her shoulder and break down crying as she hugs me tighter.  Maybe coming back to Chicago was a mistake right now...or maybe it was exactly what I needed.  After all, I can't remember the last time I cried in my mother's arms, but that is exactly what I am doing right now.  Thirty-four years old or not...

Maybe this is what I needed.

Redemption: Part 2

Tortola...Yes, I'm finally here.  Just a couple of days ago, I wasn't sure if I could get back on a plane and fly here, but my mother managed to talk some sense into me.  After I had calmed down of course.  It's been a long week, but now it is time to get down to business.  I've been told twice already to stop the negativity and to be positive.

Well, I'm going to give it a shot.  

Things aren't how I hoped or planned they would be, I will admit.  Once I decided to give this tag team with Odette a shot...a REAL shot...I had hoped she would warm up to me a bit and maybe trust me, but it's taking a little longer than I expected for that to happen.  She doesn't have to say it, but deep down I know she is just waiting for me to pounce...to turn on her.  Hell, if they had forced us to team together six months ago, that is probably what I would have done.  But now?  I have no intentions on doing such a thing.

I can't say it enough right now, but I'll do whatever it takes...for as long as it takes...to hold on to these tag team titles with Odette.  I'm going to prove to her and to everyone else that the hatred I once felt for her is gone, because it wasn't me.  I don't hate her, and if I'm honest...I never have.

I look at Odette and I see...a bit of myself.  Differences set aside, she's got that fight in her that I had when I first broke into this business.  She has that same drive for success as I did..all be it for different reasons, but it's still there.  She is a natural leader.  That is exactly why we make such a great team, and once we REALLY start working together...We'll be a million times better than The Fallen ever were.

That is why, this Sunday on Climax Control, Joanne Canneli and Parand Ara stand no chance at taking the titles away from us.  I'd defend them myself if I had to, just to prove that I want them as much as I say I do, but I think when it comes down to it, Odette will work just as hard to keep them.  

If ever there was such an odd combination to team together, Joanne and Parand are that team.  Hell, I think teaming with Parand with anyone on this roster is an odd combination.  She's a great fighter, don't get me wrong, but I know how difficult it must be for her to team with anyone.  She must be second guessing how they look at her, how they'll treat her because of her beliefs.  I don't blame her.

If I'm honest, I admire Parand and her will to be here.  Watching her battles with Vixen recently was some truly amazing stuff to watch, and I have no doubt, if she sets her mind to it, she is more than capable of being the Bombshell Champion, and carrying it with the honor and dignity it deserves.  She will carry it proudly, unlike our current Bombshell Champion who does absolutely nothing but carry it around in her possession.  Parand Ara has the true spirit of a champion.  Take it from someone who knows.  

As for Joanne...What can I possibly say about that woman?  In my eyes, she is a weaker female version of Giani Di Luca, and not just because of the Jersey connections.  Well...that might be a slight fib.  

Joanne may have held the Bombshell Roulette Championship, but is she capable of holding the tag team titles?  Does she have it in her to work with someone she knows nothing about and represent the tag team division as its champions?

No.  She does not.

I look at the combination of Joanne and Parand and I see two women who do NOT want the tag team championships, and that will be their downfall.  That is the reason they will not take them from us.  Odette may not want them either, but I do.  And as long as at least one of us wants to be champions...the titles are staying right where they belong.

I am on the path to redemption...and the tag team titles will continue to be a part of that journey.

**END FEED**

((OOC: Sorry for the weak performance this week..Struggled big time and it showed.))

>