Author Topic: First Class scam  (Read 802 times)

Offline Miss Manners

• The snake bite of social etiquette
    • View Profile
First Class scam
« on: January 26, 2024, 08:10:39 AM »
The first in-ring encounter did not go entirely as planned by one of SCW’s newest signings to the Bombshell roster, but it wasn’t a complete failure. When Miss Manners met Beatrice Barnhart in singles competition, true it was Beatrice who emerged victorious but the aftermath was where the real success story had begun where Miss Manners was concerned. Because she had gone into that match with the sole purpose of beating some “good manners” into Missus Barnhart and following the match itself, Beatrice had not been so loud or boisterous as she had been when she had first attracted the attention of the “Snake Bite of Social Etiquette”.

Known as ‘Miss Manners’ by both her loyal and rabid readers, and by the fans of Sin City Wrestling, she was sitting in her preferred window seat up front of the plane in - where else? - First Class. Being the paragon of etiquette and good manners had its perks, and the traveling advantages of being seated in First Class and all of it’s afforded luxuries was one of them.

But make no mistake! Just because she was in First Class did not mean that she saw herself as having any less responsibility as any other passenger back in coach. In fact, she preferred to see herself as the sort who should lead by example to all other passengers and if they seemed resistant, well… that was because some people were resistant to change. And changing yourself and your “Main Character” Syndrome was perhaps the biggest self alteration one could endeavor to undertake. The plane had yet to disembark as passengers were still filing in to find their seats, but that meant no less to Miss Manners who sat stoically in her purchased seat, hands calmly in her lap with her one carry-on stowed away in the luggage compartment overhead. Unlike other passengers, she brought nothing of importance to stuff under the seat in front of her. In her mind, to do so invited temptation to another passenger or worse, the possibility of someone tripping when exiting should the unthinkable occur. She brought a single book to keep herself entertained for the flight to Henderson, Nevada. That was enough.

Miss Manners was thoughtful like that.

Woman: Excuse me?

Miss Manners turned her head to look up at the woman in a fake polyester business suit and far too much makeup, her hair lingering with the scent of the dollar store hairspray she used to tame that jungle into some sort of feasible entanglement of bleached curls.

Woman: Hi, this is my seat.

The woman pointed at the seat directly beside Miss Manners, who raised a perfectly coiffed eyebrow.

Miss Manners: Yes?

Woman: I was wondering if you’d mind terribly trading seats with my husband back in coach? We’d like to sit together.

The woman gave her a fake, tight-lipped smile – you know the sort. The ghastly smile that they believed to be charming when expecting you to do whatever it was that they wanted. However Miss Manners was not just anyone, and she was a woman of the world enough to know where this was headed. So she just turned her head to look forward and replied simply and politely.

Miss Manners: No thank you. I prefer where I’m seated.

The woman stood there surprised she did not get her way, the fake smile having fallen from her face just as her mouth hung open silently. She was aghast - simply aghast - that this woman did not give her what she wanted straight away. She then placed a hand over her heart, intending to subtly showcase her wedding ring.

Woman: But … It's my husband.

Miss Manners: And you have my congratulations. But I still prefer to stay where I am.

The woman stepped back as if she were just slapped, looking back toward the coach area where her “husband” was obviously waiting to be called ahead to First Class. The woman then looked the other way and raised a hand.

Woman: Oh, excuse me? Miss?

Who…? Oh, of course. The stewardess. The “caretaker” of the flight and all of its passengers approached from where she had been speaking to her fellow attendants.

Stewardess: Yes? Is there a problem?

Woman: Yes there is. I asked this woman to trade seats with my husband so we could sit together and she refused!

The stewardess turned to Miss Manners and addressed her with a simple question.

Stewardess: Ma’am? You won’t consider changing seats?

Miss Manners: With all due respect, her husband is seated back in Coach. I paid extra for both First Class and my choice to sit at the window seat. So no. I am not going to lose that extra money – especially for such a common scam like this woman is attempting to pull on both you and myself.

The woman turned her head, her polite mask now fallen completely into a scowl of outrage.

Woman: ‘Scam’...!? How dare… !?

Miss Manners: Yes. Scam. It is a common and well-known scam where a couple purchase separate tickets for a flight, one in economy or coach and one in First Class. Then the First Class passenger tries to get someone to switch seats with their partner so they get two First Class seats without having to pay the extra fee.

Woman: I just want to sit beside my husband on our flight! I am NOT trying to pull a scam on anyone!

Stewardess: Ma’am, please. Lower your voice. There’s no need to yell.

The stewardess then turned toward Miss Manners with a ‘help me’ expression plastered on her face.

Stewardess: I would consider it a personal favor if you would trade seats with this woman’s husband and the airline will gladly refund you the difference.

The woman turned from the stewardess back to Miss Manners with a smug, triumphant expression on her face, expecting to have won. Miss Manners just smiled.

Miss Manners: I believe I can solve this whole issue with one simple suggestion that would make everyone happy. And prove whether or not this is a scam.

Stewardess: Oh?

Miss Manners: Why doesn’t this lovely woman here go back to where her husband is seated in Coach and trade seats with whoever it is that he is seated beside? That way she gets to sit beside her husband – as she wanted. I get to keep the seat that I paid for, like I want. And the person she trades with ends up with a lovely surprise.

Both Miss Manners and the stewardess turned to look at the woman who seemed to be completely flabbergasted, caught off guard at having been caught and backed into the proverbial corner so expertly. Miss Manners smiled.

Miss Manners: The only reason she would have to refuse my idea would be if my accusation were true.

Stewardess: Ma’am?

The woman looked back and forth between both and stammered.

Woman: But… but I wanted…

Miss Manners: Yes?

Woman: I-I… UGH!

And the woman stormed off back toward coach rather than be proven to be the liar that she was, with the stewardess right behind, giving Miss Manners a careful smile of appreciation. Miss Manners then turned back to face ahead, a smile of her own now worn on her face.

Miss Manners was seated in her office, behind her desk. She was busying herself, looking between something on the screen of her Apple 13" MacBook Air, and some pacers on a clipboard. She closed her eyes and chuckles, shaking her head with her perfectly manicured fingertips on the cusp of her forehead,

Miss Manners: Kallie Reznik… that is the proper way to say your name, is it not? I would hate to get it wrong and possibly offend you, but I am afraid that you have me at something of a disadvantage. You see, when the good men in charge of Sin City Wrestling contacted me and told me they had an opponent they wanted me to test the waters with, they failed to mention that she was, oh how do I phrase this delicately and with grace? … A wet-behind-the-ears pup.

She clasped her fingers of both hands together in a steeple, both elbows on the surface of her desk. She rested her chin on said fingers and looked thoughtful.

Miss Manners: I admit that I am having something of a difficult time taking this match as seriously as I’m certain you and everybody that will be watching wants, but how do you take seriously a young woman who has relatively no experience inside of the ring and refers to herself as ‘the Butterfly of Aurora’ … Aurora being the name of your hometown I assume. Now that I can understand and appreciate it. You want to pay homage and proper respect to the hometown where you grew up. That’s fine. But, why ‘butterfly’? Granted butterflies are pretty to look at when they dally about a field of flowers but… there is a dark side to butterflies that the common person doesn’t know and I am left to wonder. Are you aware of these things or do you mimic these things few others know, relying on their ignorance?

She held a forefinger up.

Miss Manners: Case in point… were you aware that some Maculinea rebeli butterflies trick common ants into raising their young? No? Well then, how about this; butterflies can be seen as a common parasite and I can see at least some common degree of similarity between that distinction and a woman such as yourself. You some into SCW and charm Misters Ward and Underwood into signing you and will now rely on the more experienced generation of stars to help get you past those green years and out of your rookie phase. That sounds both like a parasite against the rest of the Bombshell division and would relegate you to the ‘caterpillar phase’ of your career. You slink your way into a contract like a grubby little larvae and hope to someday soon spring forth like a beautiful butterfly and take over the Bombshell division.

Miss Manners lowered one arm to rest against the surface of her desk while resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

Miss Manners: That would be a rather cute endeavor and somewhat admirable goal if you weren’t intending to use the rest of the Sin City Wrestling Bombshells as something of a stepping stone to accomplish your goals. It is as I said – parasite. Now some of your supporters might liken your arrival to the Bombshell roster as a butterfly to a garden where they collect pollen and carry it onto other flowers. Other … more experienced and wise onlookers, will know this scenario for what it truly is… an invader in a garden that feeds destructively on the plants surrounding it.

Miss Manners nodded, her eyes turning straight toward the camera.

Miss Manners: That is what a butterfly does before it spins and emerges from its cocoon while still in its larval stage - which is right where you are now. It destroys what surrounds it, and ultimately that is your endgame. To destroy what surrounds you, in this case - the Bombshell division. I see you for what you are, Ms. Reznik. You do not fool me one iota. You are no butterfly. You are far more like the common Tachinid fly; an insect that whose larvae are parasitoids of other insects or arthropods. A parasitoid is a parasite that ultimately kills its host. That is who you are, and what you are planning.

Miss Manners scowled and shook her head.

Miss Manners: And I am not sorry by any means to say that it won’t work. I won’t allow it. This Sunday in Henderson, Nevada - I will stop you.

She then nodded a single time.

Miss Manners: It has been your pleasure.

With that, the feed ends.
"Freedom without rules doesn't work. And communities do not work unless they are regulated by etiquette."
~ Judith Martin