Author Topic: The Lion and The Rat  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Eddie Lyons

• View Profile
The Lion and The Rat
« on: September 22, 2023, 05:15:23 PM »
The Unbreakable one had done it, he caught the rebound and earned what was probably the biggest win of his young career over Helluva Bottom Carter and gained back some momentum. After taking a week off, Eddie finds himself refreshed and ready to roar into the next Climax Control and keep his momentum going. Next on his itinerary was a young man named Tyler McCulligan, a new arrival in SCW along with his Rat Pack cohorts. Taking on a new guy, it made Eddie feel like more of a mainstay. New guy, or former champion they were all just another opponent to Eddie, and he wasn’t the type to take any opponent lightly.[/i]

—-------
8:17 AM on a Tuesday
The Lyons Den Wrestling Academy
Charlotte, NC
Off-Camera

—-------

Eddie arrived early to The Lyons Den, it being his family school he had his own key and was able to let himself in. The students hadn’t arrived yet for training, only Keevee Kaiser was there, the head trainer was checking the equipment, the rings and making sure everything was in order for when the students arrived. It wasn’t that long ago that Eddie himself was one of those students, well he still was, but as a graduate. He was looked at as an example alongside his cousins and Cleo Phllips. All five of them had their own style, their own personality. For Eddie he just wanted to do things the right way and be a proper example.

He approached his trainer as he was checking on some of the weights.

“Mornin” said Eddie, as he caught this trainers eye.

“Eddie!” said Keevee, “You’re here early today.”

“Been feeling more motivated lately.” said Eddie “Figured I don’t need to sit around wasting time, when I can prepare for my next match.”

Keevee nodded, he was proud of his student an even prouder of him doing things the right way, not taking shortcuts and getting by based on his skill and hard work.

“Who’s the opponent this week?” asked Keevee

“His name’s Tyler McCulligan.” said Eddie, “He and his friends arrived recently calling themselves The Rat Den saying their here to infest SCW or something like that. He’s second generation like myself too.”

“Well, he sounds like a ball of sunshine” Keevee laughed, as the two moved to sit and talk on a nearby bench.

“I’ve heard he’s actually a nice guy, just keeps the wrong company.’ Eddie said, “His sister seems like a real nutjob.”

“Sounds like a couple twins we know.” Keevee said with a smirk.

“Yeah, they do seem like Vincent and Victoria.” Eddie agreed, “I’m sure the four of them would get on  wonderfully.”

“I don’t know about that…you know Victoria needs to be the one in control.” Keevee replied, “I don’t think this sister of Tyler’s would give that up so easily.”

“Fair point.” said Eddie.

“Rat Den huh?” Keevee said

“Yeah, I think it’s a school out in Tennessee.” replied Eddie

“Never heard of that one.” Keevee shrugged.

“Well, I’ll be sure to show him why Lyons Den talent is some of the best around.” said Eddie.

“Of that I have no doubt.” Keevee said proudly, “Just remember to take things slow, don’t get into something you’re not ready for.”

Eddie was taken aback and rose an eyebrow.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Eddie

“Just…I saw your promo.” Keevee said, “I know you were talking about Finn Whelan..I’m just saying, Finn is a different animal. You may want to tread lightly.”

“You think I can’t beat him?” said Eddie, feeling at least slightly offended.

“It’s not that.” said Keevee “I just don’t trust him and have concerns he’ll take things too far.”

“He jumped me back in PWE on my first night in this business.” said Eddie sternly.

“Maybe you should let it go.” said Keevee “Just worry about picking up some more wins and keeping your momentum going.”

“I can handle Finn Whelan.” insisted Eddie.

“Look Eddie, I’m not telling you what to do.” said Keevee, “Just giving advice. Worrying about Finn will only distract you and slow you down.”

“You don’t get it,  it’s about respect.” said Eddie, “I did NOTHING to him. I didn’t even know the fucking guy. He embarrassed me on my first night in the industry. And I haven’t forgotten, I just want the respect I deserve.”

“I can promise you, you’ll NEVER get that from Finn Whelan, no matter how hard you fight for it.” Keevee said, “You’re trying to fight an unwinnable battle.”

“I can handle Finn Whelan.” Eddie insisted, “I don’t need you to believe it, because I believe it. I need to take care of this so I can put it behind me and continue on in my career. I don’t expect you or anyone else to understand. If you don’t want to believe in me, then I guess I’ll just have to show you as well.”

Eddie huffed and stepped up form the bench, put his hoodie on and walked away.

“Eddie…” Kaiser said as Eddie went, but it was too late. He had to let Eddie make his own choices, right or wrong. Eddie was stubborn, and headstrong. Whatever he needed to help Eddie with that he hadn’t figured out yet. He just hoped Eddie stayed focused on Tyler McCulligan and let this old Finn Whelan issue become a thing of the past.

—-------
3:47 PM on a Tuesday
The Lyons Den Wrestling Academy
Charlotte, NC
On-Camera

—-------

Eddie sits on the apron of a wrestling ring, the sound of others training and doing workouts can be heard in the background. Eddie himself looks to have just finished a workout, he’s shirtless and sweaty in just a pair of workout jeans and shoes, a towel rests around his shoulders. He takes a short moment to catch his breath.

“Tyler McCulligan.” Eddie started, “Welcome to SCW. I haven’t been here long myself but in just a few short months I’ve started to turn heads and even earned myself a championship opportunity. Sure I came up short, but just getting there meant something. But what about you?”

Eddie paused to wipe some sweat from his brow before continuing.

“You and your rat pack arrived here with your empty threats, and trying to make yourself bigger than you are.” Eddie said, “Right away you expect everyone to fear you, seeing yourself as bigger threats than you are.When I came here, I didn’t expect anyone to fear me. I came with a goal to PROVE I belong and should be seen as a threat.  So far I feel like I’ve done well for myself in that regard, but your pack has yet to prove anything. Your sister didn’t even pick up the victory in her match.”

Eddie shrugs, and readjusts the towel around his neck.

“But are you really like them?” asked Eddie, “See my sources tell me you may not always agree with their actions. Which begs the question. Are you a follower or a leader? I understand wanting to stand by your family, but sometimes you need to learn to stand on your own. Break away from your pack and follow your heart. I chose not to follow my cousins into their nonsense and make my own choices. Until you can do the same you’ll always just be stuck as part of the pack and not your own person.”

Eddie takes another moment to pause, making sure not to ramble.

“What even is a rat den anyway?” Eddie asked, “Wouldn’t it be a pack, or a nest? I guess it doesn’t matter. I don’t know what they teach at your school, but at mine we’re taught the value of hard work and independence, even when others don’t agree. We’re taught to be true to ourselves. I get the feeling you and I aren’t so different. We both come from a wrestling family that runs a school and we both just want to continue our fathers legacies.”

He takes another short pause, using the towel to wipe his forehead.

“But we differ in the fact that I left my father and the rest of my family back at our den, The Lyons Den.” Eddie continued, “I’m doing this on my own. I don’t know if you’re truly a bad guy, I get the feeling if I was caught in a net, you would be the rat that would chew the netting and help set me free. But this isn’t a storybook fable is it Tyler?”

Eddie shakes his head for effect.

“No it isn’t” Eddie continued, “Its real life, and you are just another obstacle in my way.  The rise of Eddie Lyons won’t be broken by the likes of you. I am not afraid of this infestation or whatever it is you claim to be bringing. Your sister talked a pretty big game, and didn’t pick up the victory, and if you lose here, well that’s not really a good start for The Rat Den is it? Really not a good way to start your SCW careers, but it’s going to be your reality when you step into the ring with “Unbreakable” Eddie Lyons”

Eddie raps a finger on his chest as he says his name.

“You will learn what real fighting spirit is about.” Eddie continued, “I promise you will be tested to your limits because that’s all I know how to do. I was brought up on this business, just like you so you should know exactly what I’m talking about. That ring is a battlefield and what sort of warrior you will become is all up to you. The choices you make when you step between those ropes will define you. You can take shortcuts, and be snakelike in your approach and while that might work for some, it’s not for me.”

Eddie takes another short pause.

“I choose to be honorable, and earn the respect of the fans and my peers.” said Eddie, “I want to get that rush when your hardwork has paid off. A shortcut will only make the victory at the end feel shallow. Your stepping into the lions den Tyler, and one has to wonder…can the rat survive?”

Eddie grins, he seems pleased with that one.

“Just two young rookies looking to make their way in this wacky business” Eddie said, “Only one can win, will it be the lion or will it be the rat? I guess we’ll find out won’t we? Just know I’m coming for a fight, and whatever happens it will be as it’s always been and that’s honor before glory.”

The camera stays focused on Eddies serious stare, as it fades.to.black.

________