Author Topic: Seeds of Doubt  (Read 398 times)

Offline Griffin Hawkins

• View Profile
    • Griffin Hawkins
Seeds of Doubt
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »
  I couldn't believe my luck, not only did I defeat Kale and end his undefeated streak, but I get to face Austin James Mercer..in a non title match of course. I can't afford to lose this match as it's my first one against the Champion himself. For the last hour and a half, I sat in the arena watching Austin's matches. I sit, watching him slam down his opponent with a Spinebuster. Charles was watching alongside me as he was making short work of him.

Charles Hawkins: Wow, that's intense.

Griffin Hawkins: He's gotta be if he's Champion, he isn't lazy after all.

We continue to watch his match with Ty West, he manages to duck him and connects with a Neckbreaker.

Charles Hawkins: There! That right there! That's where you gotta get him. Someone as big and bad as him is gonna make a mistake and that's where you gotta capitalize.

Griffin Hawkins: It's gonna take a while for him to slip up, then I gotta pick my spot.

We watched for a while, but the more I watched, some doubt started to creep into my head.

Griffin Hawkins: Can I..step out for a sec?...

Charles Hawkins: Uh...sure.

I got up out of the chair and left the room. I paced back and forth in the hallway just thinking on everything that's going on. One week i'm defending the title, the next I am facing the world heavyweight champion. I then feel Charles come up behind me.

Charles Hawkins: You alright?...

Griffin Hawkins: This is all happening so fast man. I made my return months ago, and then the next month I win the Roulette Title..and then I get to face the World Champion.

Charles Hawkins: And that's a good thing..it didn't take you long to reach the top.

Griffin Hawkins: But what if it's all for nothing? If I lose..then lose the title, then what?

Charles Hawkins: If you lose..then at least you lose with no excuses. You won't bet letting anyone down..not me, not the family.

There was so much pressure on me, this was probably my biggest match yet since I've returned.

Griffin Hawkins: So you really think I can beat him?

Charles Hawkins: I know you can beat him..but not unless you study.

I followed him back to the locker room to watch more matches. I hated when doubt crept into my mind..it made me insecure. I couldn't afford to lose this match, I had to win.

-------------------------------------------------

I figured eventually, my dream would go away...but it actually started to become more vivid from here. As I began to dream..I woke up once again...only this time I wasn't in some far away castle, I was actually in my room. The torches on the wall gave me the feeling that I was still back in the old times...as I lay in my small bed, I heard something crawl up through the window. It looked to be a man in a white shirt and brown hair in a pony tail. The other that followed was a larger man with shoulder length long hair and a similar shirt. I heard the shorter one with the ponytail whisper.

Gideon Blackwell: I swear, you're gonna get us caught!

Marquis Laveaux: Will you relax? No one's gonna know we're here.

The two of them sneak over to me, looking down at me. I recognize one of them as Marquis..the man who took me in years ago..but his accent seemed to be different.

Gideon Blackwell: So this is the little fleshling that the order tried to sacrifice...

Marquis Laveaux: Yeah..don't see the big deal about him actually..

Gideon Blackwell: The little thing is sickeningly adorable..you know, we could easily take this little thing for ourselves for a King's ransom...we'd have so much money..

Marquis Laveaux: And what are you going to do with the king's money Gideon? You're dead..we're both dead. Not much a vampire could do with endless riches.

Gideon Blackwell: Just a thought...plus I'd love to see that bloody tyrant brought to his knees like a wee child when he finds out we have his brat.

They look down at me...I just lie there wondering what they got planned for me.

Marquis Laveaux: Look at him...he has no idea what's to....wait, what is this?..

I'm not sure what set him off, but as he leans closer, he takes a step back.

Marquis Laveaux: ....he has the mark.

Gideon Blackwell: We must end him right now!

Marquis Laveaux: No time..we must leave right away!

What the hell was that about? Whatever they saw on me caused them to leave..

"Griffin? Griffin?"

I wake up back on the couch of my locker room. I saw Charles shaking me.

Charles Hawkins: You fell asleep man..you okay?

Griffin Hawkins: Uh..yeah..I am.

Charles Hawkins: Okay then. We'll watch a few more matches and then we'll get out of here.

I wanted to focus on the match, but something was off about that dream..I knew if I wanted answers I had to ask Marquis. Course, I haven't spoken to him in over a decade, a reunion was long overdue.

------------------------------------------

The cameras open in the arena where I am watching the Fatal Four Way for the World Heavyweight Title on the TV Monitor, the way I am practically directing traffic. I then use the remote, stopping the match.

"What a difference four months makes...at Blaze of Glory, I was the special referee in the fatal four way between Fenris, Alex Jones, Jake Raab and Travis Levitt while Austin James Mercer fought Vanu Naufu It was Fenris who retained on this night while Austin won his match..but look at what's happened since then. Me and Austin are now Champions. He holds the World Heavyweight Title..and I hold the Roulette Title. We both knew that we would cross paths sooner or later, title on the line or not. Now..it seems as if all the stars have aligned within the universe..and two of the top dogs of SCW are finally..for the first time ever..clash in a champion v.s champion match in what could very well be the biggest main event in Climax history."

I kick my feet onto the table.

"For the last few weeks..when people mention me, they threw names around like...legend. If I can be honest, I don't consider myself a legend. Sure, many consider me one of the greatest fighters of all time, but I don't know about being a legend. If anything, I'm a street kid who managed to fight for what he believes in, worked for what he wants just to get to where he is today..and in that time I learned not to be clouded by too many people giving me compliments. I'd allow it to go to my head and become complacent...which I hope Austin hasn't done.."

I look straight at the camera, knowing he is watching.

"You are the man at the top of the mountain Austin, and I respect you for where you brought yourself. That's why I am hoping that you don't follow the past champions who allowed success to go to their heads..because in an instant, its gone. Every time Jake Raab somehow manages to get a victory..he gets cocky and slips up. But you are no Jake Raab, and I'm not going in there facing some scrub who manages to get lucky and pull off a fluke win here or there, I'm coming to fight a guy who's worked hard to get where he is..and even though the title isn't on the line..I am more than pumped to test my strength against The Prodigal Son."

I then play his match against Fenris for the title on  Climax Control, studying everything about him.

"Austin..you and me are what the SCW locker room strives to be...brave, battle tested, not afraid to back down from any man. I feel when I look at you, I am looking into a mirror. I see a man who has fought hard to get where he is today. I watched you become the Honor Wrestling Champion...I said to myself, god damn, I gotta fight this guy someday! And that day is coming soon. A match where two champions who have solidified their spot as the elite of SCW will clash for the first time in history"

I paused the match, not wanting to miss anything.

"I do indeed respect you Austin. I consider you a friend..like a brother. I know how much that belt means to you..and you know how hungry I am to one day take your title and become the face of SCW. Can I beat you? I don't know. Can you beat me? Who knows. Something has to give. See, what you hold around your shoulder is the reason I came back to SCW. I've already been Internet Champion, and I am currently the Roulette Champion. The World Heavyweight Title is the last piece of the puzzle. The belt won't be on the line...but a victory over you would definitely put me in conversation for a title shot."

I unpause the match as I continue.

"When I got back here months ago...there was doubt. People doubted me. Travis Levitt said I was a has been, yesterday's news. Kendron Williams thought I'd be just another victim for him to sacrifice. There's always gonna be people doubting me, there's probably some doubting me now...but I have a history of turning doubters into believers. I make the impossible happen. Right now many would say beating you would be impossible...and it may be. But in a fight like this....I'll do what I can to do what many say is impossible, and defeat you. I wish you luck on Sunday Austin..and may the best champion win."

I go back to watching the match as the camera crew leave the room.
user posted image

Accomplishments
Internet Champion(Final)
2017 Future Star Of The Year
Roulette Champion(x2)