Author Topic: ENDEAVOR L  (Read 819 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
ENDEAVOR L
« on: February 10, 2023, 11:18:34 PM »
Blog: Almighty Fire
semana del 29 de enero al 5 de febrero de 2023

My career has been a lot like a road trip. Sometimes I take a detour. Adjust the speed. Change my destination. Ask for directions. Take rest stops along the way. I was here for all of them. Yet no matter how bad the road and accommodations got, I reminded myself that sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination.

This is my tenth year in Sin City Wrestling. Spending a decade in one company, while extremely rare, is an impressive feat, and now I’ve joined that exclusive club alongside Jessie Salco and Roxi Johnson. Something to be proud of.

I’ve had consistency of success in my career, and that can’t be argued. To see where I am now and what I've been through, anyone in my shoes would have thrown in the towel and quit the next day. But this five foot seven, 125-pound Latina has come a long way. If you asked anybody in that locker room, anybody who have stepped foot in the six-sided ring and laced up a pair of boots, that my career would last this long, they would probably call you crazy. Most would still. I must be crazy too thinking that I somehow could keep up with an ever-changing roster that gets more talented by the day.

But let gets this back to where it should be.

There is so much to say about Roxi Johnson in defense of her position as the SCW’s GOAT. The four world championships, the overall nine championships to her career, the deserved Hall of Fame induction, her many Year-End Awards wins, the longevity of her career, the leader in career wins, main event wins, overall main events matches, the chance of being the first wrestler reaching 100 wins, the amazing and almost uncanny ability to win and win and win.

Alicia Lukas is SCW. That’s according to the mysterious intern behind SCW’s Twitter account. But to be fair, it’s been awhile since we heard those lofty words - something along the lines of four years, give or take a few leap years - after the fact that our Sassy Southern Belle wrestled only two matches just four months into her debut at the time. Once upon a time, Alicia was the hood ornament of the Bombshells Division, and it really didn’t take long for that to happen. Outside of the hiccup of losing the Bombshell Championship to a certain Bombshell (see: Zdunich, Seleana), she still managed to become a three-time champion quicker than either me or Roxi. 19 months. She was the first Bombshell to win Wrestler of the Year and Woman of the Year and of only two woman to ever pull that feat off. If that doesn’t make her a big deal, then I don’t know what will.

But, see, history has a way of forgetting as much as happening and the past tense can be brutal to those who crave history. This is the boat that Roxi and Alicia are both on. And to a certain extent, yours truly. With names like Amber Ryan and Masque de Lune staking their claim in the division in the last year or so, their rise has also slightly, slowly, but inevitably help many to remember Alicia, Roxi, and me as something that was, not something that is.

As much as people want to put Alicia and Roxi on some kind of pedestal, my legacy will last in ways their greatness won’t. Despite our respective accomplishments in Sin City Wrestling, no matter how many matches I’ve lost, no matter how many times I’ve failed, the
debate of who is the most accomplished woman in the company isn’t much of a debate at all.

I’ve won the present just as much as the future.

Well, the immediate future begins Sunday. Christian Underwood, in all his infinite wisdom, had decided to put Alicia, Roxi, and I in a triple threat where the winner gets Amber Ryan at Blaze of Glory. Either one of us can pose a threat to Amber on her worst day. But we all know we’re going to have to be on our best day to wrestle the title from her grip. There’s a reason why she had an iron grip on the Bombshell Championship for almost a year.

That said, the history between Alicia, Roxi, and I runs deep. There’s not going to be some magic moment at which we’re sitting around a campfire toasting marshmallows, singing 'Kumbaya'. I don’t like them, they don’t like me, and Alicia and Roxi don’t like one each other. I’m almost sure we won’t be exchanging Christmas cards this year.

I haven’t forgotten that I beat Alicia last year. It was a feel good moment for me in a year that had few good moments aside from taking my pen and rewriting my name in the record books. I haven’t forgotten the last time Roxi and I were part of a triple threat match either. Wasn’t my night, but Roxi retained the Bombshell Championship. Kudos to her.

Alicia is just rearing to go, and that’s great, because if she wanted to fight, hey, I have no problem throwing down. Roxi wants another go at Amber, but I just might be the one to play spoiler. I might still be coming off my loss at Inception, but I'll be more then happy to show Alicia and Roxi why underestimating me will be their biggest mistake. Anyone should know better than to count me out of any match. I'm a different breed of opponent and no matter the outcome, I don't get ready, I stay ready.

Alicia thinks I’m not worthy of being in this match, and that’s okay, SCW knows I'm championship material. You don't win championships in each of your first nine years in the company much less become the most decorated wrestler in the company if you weren't good enough.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me! And if you hate me, well, I rather be hated for who I am than who I'm not. What separates me from the pack: I am everything they’re not and everything they wish they could be.

Come Sunday, if I win...WHEN I win, I get a date with the Red Hurricane herself. I may not be the favorite, but I have enough drive to make it a fight with anyone. I'm going to try my damndest to win this match. I'm going to be the number-one contender. Because I AM the contender.

Not a threat, not an promise. Just a matter of fact. Alicia and Roxi wanna prove me wrong?

They got one shot.

~~~

“I wish I didn’t get married. The BS from the in-laws, my husband is lazy, my children are failures….”

[When Estelle looks back up, she sees her husband and children all standing there with aplomb.]

.::MERCEDES and FERNANDO::..
WHAT THE HELL, MOM?!

.::ESTELLE::..
Uh, how long have you all been standing there?

.::FERNANDO::..
Long enough to be uncomfortable.

Mercedes, can you lower your standards and get a husband?

.::MERCEDES::..
What? But Mom, I don’t have any standards. Kind of like you.

[Estelle shoots her daughter a dirty look.]

I don’t understand why anyone gets married. Almost all of my friends are miserable.

What are the odds?

65 percent. At least that’s the divorce rate in California.

Maybe you need new friends.

[While her parents’ visit was unexpected, Mercedes trudges through what was she felt was an interrogation.]

[Fernando gets done feeding a school of guppies in an aquarium. Mercedes watches as the fish gobble up the flakes.]

Can I ask you a question?

[Estelle gives her husband an arched eyebrow.]

You can ask, sure. Whether you’ll get an answer is another matter.

I’ll take my chances.

[He tilts her head to the side for comic effect.]

It’s getting late and there isn’t anything for dinner.

Just so you know, UberEats is a thing now…

[She gives a nonchalant shrug.]

Sure, but no one cooks like you.

To be fair, mom, your cooking is truly unforgettable

Someone’s a little jealous I see.

Unforgettable isn’t always a good thing.

Mercedes, we visit you at least three times a year. Are you getting enough oxygen here?

[Her parents looks around the apartment as Mercedes kicks the door shut using her boot.]

Sorry for the mess. If I had known guest were coming, I would have cleaned up sooner.

~~~

Present Day ♦ S A N T A M O N I C A, C A L I F O R N I A

[REC•]

[The scene opens on Mercedes Vargas with a smug look on her face. The two-time SCW Hall of Famer spends the afternoon feeding wild ducks on the boardwalk of the Santa Monica Pier. Wearing a pair of black-rimmed library glasses, the Argentine seems to enjoy the tranquil nature of her surroundings. She throws what left of the pieces out of a box of Wheat Thins she has in her hand before turning to the camera. The Argentine has her signature clipboard in hand, which she tucks underneath her arm for the moment.]

“Sin City Wrestling, how are you doing? Good? Good.

"You know, as one of the longest-tenured veterans on the roster - and THE most successful might I add - it amazes me that year after year, there’s always a new turnover of talent just waiting to make a name for themselves. In my career, I’ve seen of them all, I’ve more than likely beaten them all. Sometimes they’re only around for a cup of coffee, other times the trash take themselves out. The names may all change, but one thing remains the same…”

[Mercedes points to herself.]

“This woman right here is, was, and always will be the gatekeeper of the Bombshells Division. And, no, Jessie Salco, that’s my full-time job, not yours. Know your place, mamita.”

[Mercedes pauses for a moment to glance at her checklist before she looks back at the camera.]

“Now at Inception and on the first two Climax Control episodes of 2023, we saw a few surprise returns and some fresh new faces making their debuts. Some won, others loss, but just the same they all brought something to the table. How many of these newcomers will still be here in three months, six months, a year from now, is the real test because Sin City Wrestling has a reputation as one of the toughest places around, and for good reason. To survive here, you need a little bit of luck and a whole lot of talent. Those who debuted last year at least got their feet wet.

“Now let’s see how they do at the far end of the pool.”

[Mercedes gives the camera a dismissive wave of her hand, the excitement in her voice remains as she continues.]

“As for me, I’m anxious to get back in the ring after how Inception didn't exactly pan out, especially what was a title match I should have won easy. That said, this Sunday I get to makeup for my defeat with this contendership match against none other than Alicia Lukas and Roxi Johnson - two names who are part of the upper echelon of talent here in SCDub, and with good reason.

"You don't need to tell me how important this match is. Just ask my opponents, they'll tell you. I'm not going to make excuses, because I don't have any, but I’ll give credit where it's due. If I don’t walk out with the win, I guess we're going to find out if either Alicia or Roxi takes advantage of a golden opportunity, or it ends up as a wasted opportunity."

[Mercedes points to herself.]

"You’re probably asking where do I go from here after Inception. The short answer? I'm not "going" anywhere. I'm definitely not getting bent out of shape just because a pay-per-view match didn't go my way. I'm better than that. Think I'm more than proven in this sport and I don't have to prove myself to anybody. My time will come again to contend for the world title. And looking at the roster, I don't think I'll be waiting very long.

"It's an express lane here.

“There’s no better place than here. There’s no better time than now.”

[She offers a nonchalantly shrug.]

“Now, Georgie Robertson is still kinda new, but she has had an okay start to her career. Being the new girl and all, I kinda had second thoughts about how she would do last year. She wasn’t good, she wasn’t bad. She was just okay. Then Inception happened. Georgie beat Roxi Johnson in what should be called an upset, because it is. On any given day, anybody can beat anybody. You know how hard it is to beat Roxi? OK, so it's more than that: Sure, Roxi did get by Krystal Wolfe last week, but the loss at Inception probably rocked her to her core, and while she will no doubt have an excuse ready why she got beat, her track record is better than anyone's during their time in SCW. Not to say I’m easily impressed most of the time, but I have to make an exception.”

[Mercedes brings her hands together for a slow, lifeless showing that was just as cutting.]

“With Alicia and Roxi, while familiarity breeds contempt, that's the least emotion I'm feeling this weekend."

[Mercedes shakes her head while mouthing the word “no.”]

"More like redemption. That's why this match is one where I'll be showing up.”

[Mercedes swipes a hand over her face. The once proud smile she had has transformed into a serious expression. It was time to address the matter of the opponents that stood across her from her in a serious light.]

“That I get to visit an arena I've already been to is a moot point. At Climax Control, I'm reigniting that fire and focusing all my energy because it's about time I get back to the potential I know I have. I'm willing to risk it all. I'm willing to put my cards on the table. I'm willing to do whatever as it takes to take down whoever is in front of me, and I'm not too picky. I know that I'm still a threat. Sunday won't be a lesson, it will be a reminder. At Climax Control, I hope Alicia and Roxi are prepared because I’ve been prepared.

“A woman who knows her worth is a dangerous one... when no one can use you, play you or get over on you, that makes you a threat. I am not a joke, I am not a punchline. I AM A THREAT.

"I may not be headlining the show. I may not be in the main event, I may not be one of the top stars here, yet, but I can promise you that I'm making this match worth the price of admission. It's up to everyone else to try and top it."

[Mercedes tucks her checklist under her arm again, then starts rubbing her hands expectantly.]

"So, Alicia, Roxi, I'll see you Sunday night for Climax Control."

[A pause is met as she starts speaking in Spanish.]

"Estar preparado para lo peor, esperar lo mejor."
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

“Y que la suerte está siempre en su favor.”
"And may the odds be ever in your favor."

***Fade***
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 06:39:09 AM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)