Author Topic: ENDEAVOR LIII  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
ENDEAVOR LIII
« on: July 14, 2023, 11:55:10 PM »

Blog: Almighty Fire
semana del 9 al 16 de julio 2023

Now, I know what you’re thinking. "Mercedes, you just walked out of yet another Summer XXXTreme, in yet another title match, in yet another pay-per-view, in yet another opportunity at the Bombshell Roulette Championship, and boarding yet another lonely flight back home with nothing to show for it. Isn't it about time you, you know, retire?"

I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that wonders what it would be like to sit back and relax on some beach with a drink with a little umbrella in there instead of living out on a suitcase. I know I'm not getting any younger, some already say I'm past my prime to compete with the competition.

Maybe I should just give this up. Maybe I should cut my losses now and quit while I'm ahead. So many opportunities, always finding myself in contendership or title matches, never quite getting the job done. I think I qualify as a choke artist. And I get it, I totally get it. It's a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of world we live in. Retirement sure sounds good right now.

Listen, I'll cut a deal with you: if Jessie Salco wins the Bombshell Championship, I'll consider it.

But let's get this back to where it should be. I just lost another match in what is another lost year for yours truly. But still, I am a two-time SCW Hall of Famer, a two-time Bombshell world champion, a one-time Bombshell Internet champion, a four-time Bombshell Roulette champ, a six-time Tag titleholder between the Bombshell World Tag and Mixed Tag titles, and a former and the first ever Queen for a Day. I have to win sometimes, right? I wouldn't have the second-most career wins ever in the company if I wasn't.

Right?

Right.

Facing Seleana Zdunich this weekend wasn't exactly on my bingo card, but I'm thinking I'm going to show mercy against everyone's favorite little Swedish idiot. I just don't know if her ego can take much kicking after the year she's having, but I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to do so. So, that being said, I hope she enjoys eating the canvas again.

So, final words, I hope Seleana brings her A-game, because I sure will be. You best believe I'm going to be out to ruin her summer.

~~~

ABOARD THE SUN PRINCESS CRUISELINER

[Four weeks ago, Mercedes Vargas had her first win in SCW in a very long time. Sure, it was only a dominant win over a member of the prestigious Steele family, but, in the end, it didn't matter. Her hand was still raised at the end of the match with Ruby. It was no big deal, really. Grand Canyon University Arena was just another venue she's visited many times before. Her dominant victory against Ruby was trivial to the one thing greater than facing an inferior opponent, it was greater than her victories few and far between this year.]

“Looks like today is going to be another beautiful day.”

"You're in a good mood. This is, this is good."

[Mercedes spun around on her chair where she gazed at the screen of her open laptop in front of her, and there was the familiar visage of her parents, Estelle lazily on the couch, half interested in the telenovela on the television. Fernando pops in and out of frame.

[Even after an active-filled week aboard the Sun Princess, Mercedes Vargas is tired, but sleep is the last thing on her mind. Instead, admiring herself in front of a mirror, Mercedes adds the finishing touches to her makeup to conclude what was a half hour session. She exudes excitement despite her lack of sleep and disappointment.

A week removed from Summer XXXTreme, the Hall of Famer was looking forward to what was to be another exciting supercard, especially the tall task she faced on the weekend when she battled Jessie Salco and Laura Phoenix. No doubt visions of a Bombshell Roulette Championship triumph in the Ultimate X Over the Pool. Salco and Phoenix, legendary ring generals like herself, Mercedes hoped to once again defy expectations in making history one more time.

As was the case this year, history was delayed.

Mercedes takes up her iPhone and, sure enough, they were already tweets talking about the night's main event the world over. J2H reclaimed the world championship in what will likely be one of the most remarkable come back stories of the year.

If only her own match turned out the same way.]

Mercedes: Why wouldn't I be, Mom? I'm on an all-expense paid two-week vacation, I get to lounge around in a mini-suite if I want, and there's so much to do on the ship. It's like groundhog's day.

Estelle: Par for the course. You've had this luxury for 10 years.

Fernando: How come you never invite us?

Mercedes: Not true. Every year, I tell you about the cruise. You always promise to come, but you never do.

[In reality, she was glad her parents didn't come. It's been awhile since her last win at Summer XXXTreme, and she didn't want to live to see another disappointing night.]

Estelle: Maybe it's best we didn't.

Mercedes: What? What's that supposed to mean? You're my biggest cheerleaders aside from my friends.

Estelle: The next overseas trip is in Rome, right?

Mercedes: Yeah.

Estelle: I'm not going.

Mercedes: To Rome? Why?

Estelle: Think of the last time I went to Italy.

Fernando: Was it as exciting as Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday and Katherine Hepburn in Summertime?

Estelle: I'm serious. I never liked heights, I never liked flights, and last time I've been to Italy, I have never come home from somewhere saying to myself, "I don't want to go back there." Just when passing people on the street I felt a very "unfriendly" vibe.

Mercedes: So you had a bad experience nine years ago. Anything can happen in cities these days. I'm thinking this has something to do with me then this trip.

Fernando:  I think what we were trying to say is we really don't want to look back at your life and wonder about all the roads you could have travelled but didn't.

Mercedes: I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

[Mercedes stands to her feet. She looks off, thinking, smiling, then back at some notes in her notepad.]

Mercedes: I've got to go.

Estelle: Fernando, mi corazón, ven conmigo. Venga.

[With that, Mercedes closes the laptop. Another weekend on the high seas and already she wanted to return back stateside. With another overseas tour just on the horizon, she couldn't wait to be over.]

~~~

Present Day ♦ R O M E, I T A L Y

[REC•]

"I don't always visit Rome, but when I do, I never want to leave. Just look at this place!"

[The photos over social media, travel brochures, magazines and the web doesn't do one of the most beautiful cities in the world justice. Behind Mercedes is the famed Pantheon. Mercedes stands just before the fountain in front of the landmark architecture.]

"You know, I've come so close to tasting championship gold a few times in Sin City Wrestling. I've come within fingertips of capturing another championship to add to my legacy. But it was not to be two weeks ago, the memory of Summer XXXTreme still haunts me even now. Come to think of it, my success at this supercard isn't anything to write home about. Ten times I've been on that card. Only won once, and that was more than five years ago. Haven't won since. Go figure.

I've had some tough moments. The time I was part of the main event in 2016, the Elimination Chamber match? Crystal Caldwell retained the Bombshell Championship. I didn't even make it in the final three in that match. That one time teaming up with Delia Darling to regain the Bombshell World Tag Titles from The Fallen in 2015? We failed. Turned out that match would be Delia's last match in SCW. Another tag match, this time with me, Celeste North and Veronica Taylor against Devona, Amy Santino, and Jessie Salco. Yup, lost that one, too. The Mean Girls quietly disbanded after seven months and Celeste North quit as leader after three months and promptly left the company, just like that."

[Mercedes brushes away a few strands of her hair from her eyes and takes a deep breath as she sees her breath in the cold. Having to relieve these series of unfortunate events aboard the cruiseship were some of the highlights - or, rather, lowlights, of this supercard.]

"But through all that? Those moments didn't hurt like what happened two weeks ago. It wasn't as bad as in 2019 when my fourth Bombshell Roulette Championship reign ended. None of those moments haunt me then two weeks ago when I had a golden opportunity in making history one more time aboard the Sun Princess. Five years ago, I walked in as a challenger and I walked out one-half of the World Mixed Tag Team Champions, became the only Bombshell to win every championship in the women's division, and became a two-time Bombshell Grand Slam winner. Two weeks ago I walked in as a challenger and I walked out with nothing to show for it."

[A pause is met as she gathers her thoughts before raising her head again.]

"When my third Bombshell Roulette Championship reign ended in 2015, it took four years before anybody broke the records I set for that title. I had to sit there and watch people like Jessie Salco and Amy Santino trade the title like a game of hot potato.

Now in the Year of our Lord 2023, I have to live with the fact Jessie Salco lives to see a fifth title reign and another title defense and I didn't get the chance to wipe the smirk off her face. That I have to see her defend the title against Laura Phoenix - and good on her to stepping up to the plate to challenge for the title in this weekend's main event - just pisses me off. I don't need the Bombshell Roulette Championship, that title needs me. I just wanted to win the Ultimate X match just to deny Laura her first championship, and to see Jessie squirm.

"But I know I can't stay mad forever. Because this weekend with Seleana Zdunich in this Queen for a Day qualifier, I get an opportunity to compete in the Queen for a Day match. We both know what's at stake. Seleana's already been in one. I've been in three, including winning the first. But this isn't 2014, and this won't be a battle royal. I've been in the ladder match, so I know what must be done."

[A pause is met as she gathers her thoughts before raising her head again to finish her promo.]

"Now, a lot of people know the history between Seleana and I in SCW, always competitive, try to leave everything in the ring. Sunday, I'm coming for blood. I'm going to do whatever it takes, whatever is necessary to claim my spot in the Queen for a Day.

"Seleana, looks like it's you and me, sister. And it seems like you haven't had an easy time in the win column lately, which is sad and kind of pathetic at the same time. Where is The Cat and what have you done with her? Has she lost her claws?"

[Mercedes laughs and tosses her hair back.]

"I know how much this match means to you. You’ve been on this downward spiral lately, and you’re probably thinking that a win, any win at all, will somehow turn your fortunes around. The important thing is at least you’re getting up. At least you’re not giving up. And this Sunday, maybe, just maybe, fortune will smile upon you because you got me at a bad time. But make no mistake about it - you're still facing Mercedes Vargas.

"Do I still have to prove myself to you, Seleana? Is that a challenge? Because I love challenges, and I hope you’ll be able to put your money where your mouth is. I really don’t have to prove myself to you or anyone else for that matter. I’m already a proven commodity, none of my previous accomplishments - or yours - matters here.

"I am amazing. You know it, I know it, and SCW certainly knows it. I know you're not going to stay down, though you should take that offer into consideration, it would save you from being embarrassed. Or, even better, just forfeit the match.  It would save us from having to go through with this altogether. But knowing you, you’re all too willing to ignore my foolish advice. The only way you’re going to beat me is by divine intervention…

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. And may the odds be ever in your favor."

[Our scene fades on Mercedes waving at the camera, adding a smile as she does so and we fade to black.]

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)