Author Topic: Facing Giants  (Read 410 times)

Offline Gabriel

• View Profile
    • Gabriel
Facing Giants
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
 I sit in a room on a two seat sofa, brightly lit. Around me, a crib is set up, as well as a changing table for a baby. Stuffed toys sit of shelves on the wall, as well as baby blankets, bottles, books for the young and other various items. I look up at the door, barely open as footsteps grab my attention.

Outside the room, the area is clearly reorganized as the home of Odette and I. Odette walks towards the room, looking towards it and seeing the door slightly ajar. The color drains from her face.

"I know I shut that door earlier." She mumbles to herself. "Can't be anyone there, I'm the only person in the house that knows..."

Odette slowly edges closer to the door, looking at the uncovered keypad, usually hidden by false fake paneling. Odette breathes deeply.

"Dunno why you're standing out there wondering." My voice calls out to her.

Odette's eyes widen as she pulls at the door handle, looking around the corner, seeing me sitting there.

"Oh God!" Odette says turning away.

"Quite the nest you've made here." I comment.

Odette turns back around, slightly embarrassed look on her face. I wave my fingers towards her.

"Come here gorgeous." I quickly say.

Odette walks towards me, her hand covering her mouth. I pat the sofa cushion next to me and Odette sits down, burying her head in my shoulder. I move my hand down to her chin, lifting her chin with my finger and staring in to her eyes. Odette looks up, staring at me, but I quickly glance my lips against hers, pushing my lips softly against her, with a soft kiss, before pulling away.

"How long have you known?" Odette asks

"A while" I start "I tried to tell you in Canada, but then we saw the Wales and the moment passed us by a little"

"You probably think I'm crazy." Odette says sadly.

I slide my hand on to hers, locking my fingers in hers.

"No." I start "It means you didn't just do it for the sake of it, for the sake of wanting a kid to be trendy. You didn't go in to this thinking that because everyone else had a kid, or is having kids, you wanted one. You did this for the right reason, you had things set up nicely before we decided to. No one else plans like that, and that's why a lot of kids grow up wrong, because nothing was ever planned before."

A half smile crosses Odette's lips.

"And what if you would have said no to this?" She asked "Then I would have looked crazy for this room."

Odette points around.

"It wouldn't have always been a no." I reply with a smile. "Let me tell you this. The moment I met you, I knew I wanted my future with you, I knew without a shadow of  doubt, that you were the one to tame me, make me see life different. Before you came along, the relationship part of my life wasn't exactly fulfilling, it was empty sweetheart. Then you came along, on that ship, and I got to really spend time with you, and the more I did, the more I knew that you would be the mother of my children. It was never if, it was always when."

Odette squeezes my hand tightly.

"Always when sweetheart." I say softly "Life can throw all it wants at us, but we was always gonna be here, always gonna be."

Odette rests her head on my shoulder.

"I was nervous about showing you this room." Odette says in to my ear

"You had no reason to be." I say as I kiss her on the forehead "You did great work here"

Odette pulls herself in closer to me.

"You really don't think I'm crazy?" She says looking up

"Nope, perfect more like." I reply "But we might have to you know, move this stuff upstairs, room next to ours, or I'm bound to fall sleepily down the stairs when that baby monitor goes off with that wailing."

Odette playfully hits me in the chest.

"Wailing? That's our son or daughter you're talking about" Odette starts. "And secondly, this was just a test room. I think you might have picked up on it quicker if all this stuff was out in the open instead of this secret room."

I nod quickly

"You have a point sweetheart." I concur.

"I can't wait to finally stop my crazy work life so we can put 100% into trying" Odette comments, her fingers moving up behind my back, playing with my hair.

I stroke my thumb along Odette's cheek, her face alive with a bright smile.

"When ever you want to quit baby, I'll support your decision" I reply "Because you're gonna be an amazing parent. Any kid would love to have you as their mother."

Odette leans in, kissing me firmly on the lips, breathing passionately as she moves close.

"I've got one last thing to do... then I promise... " Odette starts "I'll be the best damn house wif... girlfriend ever"

"What?" I say surprised.

Odette kisses me firmly again, taking my mind away from what was just said. Odette pulls away, a devilish smile on her face.

"I hope our kids have your looks." I say with a smile.

"And not your sense of danger." Odette replies

"Says the chick who does stunts on bikes." I reply quickly.

Odette playfully pushes me in the chest.

"Least I don't play with sharks." Odette fires back.

"I haven't done that in awhile." I protest "I do have a question though."

Odette ruffles my hair

"Yes?" Odette says leaning back a little bit.

"When are we getting rid of all those bikes out there to make space for the mini van?"

Odette eyes widen, a look of surprise on her face.  

"Right after we sell those fast cars out there."

I firmly shake my head.

"We're gonna need a bigger garage." I quickly reply.

Odette nods in agreement.

"Seriously though." Odette says "Can you not teach or son or daughter those dangerous tricks?"

"Not until they're at least five sweetheart." I reply with a smile.

"Tell me why I love you please?" Odette says jokingly.

"Because I'm great and you're hypnotized." I reply with a wink.

Odette laughs, pulling herself in to me.

"That explains everything." She says.

A moment of silence passes, Odette leaning her head on my chest. I put my arm around her shoulder, hugging her firmly.

"It's gonna be great baby." I reassure her "Our kid will have everything they ever wanted. A great mother, a father who can step it up a level with the got ya nose game."

A smile passes Odette face.

"A whole host of aunts and uncles in The Sins and NXT." I say biting my lip

Odette fires me a look.

"What?" I say innocently "Most of them are harmless."

"This doesn't scare you?" Odette asks

"Scares me more never having a family with the woman I love." I reply "It took me a bit to get my head around it all, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it. I'm with the woman I plan on spending the next million life times with. I don't want to see a day go by without being with you. I miss you when we're apart, so no, this doesn't scare me baby."

Odette squeezes my arm.

"And I know at times I can be a little quiet, and it looks like I don't care, and the bullshit rumors start about us, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't love you a little more every day. Knew the second I met ya, it was us forever." I tell Odette.

Odette moves her head closer to mine.

"I love you." She says

"I love you too" I reply

Odette leans in to kiss me but stops before she does.

"Wait a second." She starts "How did you get in here?"

I look around with a smile.

"Uh" I stumble out "Magic?"

"Magic nothing." Odette says firmly "I swear I'm gonna kill him."

"Nah." I say quickly "It's a good thing baby."

"I'm still gonna kill him." Odette replies.

Odette puts her head on my chest once more as the scene fades out.

"Look, just take it in your hand..." my voice is heard saying. "And then just move your hand up and down."

"It's too hard." Odette's voice is heard saying,

"Things being hard has never been a problem before." I reply.

I bet I know what you're thinking. Somewhere, Marty McFarge just got the tissues ready

The camera switches to myself and Odette sitting opposite each other at a table, outside in the warm Vegas sunshine. In my hand, I hold a deck of cards, holding them towards Odette.

"Baby, I can't shuffle cards" Odette says, poking her bottom lip out towards me.

I put the cards down in front of Odette and put my hands on hers, smiling across the table. Our little family of a dog and two cats run around the garden. Alcide, our toy yorkie sits beside Odette in a protective manner.

"Ok gorgeous." I start "How about I teach you a little trick?"

"Ok." Odette says with a smile.

I pick up the cards in front of Odette, using the back of my hand to roll the cards out in a half circle. I reach in to my pocket and pull out a pen, placing it on top of the cards and smiling at Odette.

"Here's what you do baby." I start "You look at a random person, anyone who seems interested in magic, or entertainment, or is too drunk to know where he or she is. Honestly, the drunks make the best crowds, they're amazed more."

"Right." Odette says, narrowing her eyes.

"Now what you do is pick up the cards and shuffle them." I continue.

I try to hide a smile, but Odette looks at me sternly.

"Very funny." She says dryly

"I'm sorry baby." I start "I will teach you how to do that."

"Promise?" Odette says.

"Promise." I reply "Ok, you now pick the person from the crowd that you'll think will be amazed the most and use them. If one person is amazed, everyone else around will be. It's like a chain reaction. Works in all emotions."

"Like mob mentality?" Odette asks.

"Right." I reply "One angry person, turns in to two angry people, turns in to four angry people, and you have a pissed off mob."

Odette smiles.

"So, you got the person you want in this trick?" I ask.

"Baby, there's only you here, unless you have imaginary friends." Odette says with a curl of her lip and a wink.

"Ok, so what you want to do is tempt me to pick a card and sign it." I instruct.

"Hey Mr, would you pick a card and sign it?" Odette says casually.

"Only after you shuffle the deck so I know it's not rigged." I reply straight face.

Odette clenches her jaw.

"When we have kids, you could give up the magic and become a comedian." Odette replies unimpressed.

"Maybe, but it don't sound as fun as doing crazy stuff." I reply. "Anyway young magic lady, yes, I will sign one of your lovely cards."

I reach over, looking at the cards in front of me before picking one from the middle of the pack and sliding it across the table. I lift it up to show the Queen Of Hearts.

It's ok, you don't have to call this one "my Queen"

I look down at the card, hiding it from Odette's view and pick up the pen. Smiling at the beautiful Australian across the table, I sign my name across the card. I put the card back on the table and slide it back towards Odette.

"Now what?" Odette asks.

"Just put the card back in the pack, anywhere you like." I instruct.

Odette does just that

"Now stack them and take them in your hand" I tell Odette.

Odette picks the cards up and holds them in her hand, her eyes full of excitement.

"This is the tricky part." I tell her. "Now..."

Odette leans in closer.

"Yes?" she says.

"Shuffle them." I reply, biting my lower lip

Odette growls, her eyes narrowing at me.

"You're such a tool!" Odette says, the patience in her voice, clearly ran out.

Odette throws the cards in the air, setting Alcide off in a frenzy, looking up at the cards as the float in the air. The toy yorkie jumps in the air, snapping his tiny mouth at the cards as they fall. Alcide catches a card in his mouth.

"Drop it Alcide!" I tell the dog, reaching down to pick him up. "Don't need dog slobber on the cards."

I put Alcide on the table, who promptly turns around and away from me, towards Odette's waiting arms. Alcide drops the card in front of Odette, face side up, to show the queen of hearts with my signature on it.

"Holy..." Odette trails off.

I scratch my head, looking at Odette and Alcide very confused.

"Did I do it right?" Odette asks.

"Uh..." I start "That wasn't the trick I was gonna show you. I was gonna show you how to throw the cards at a window and have that one stick."

Odette smiles proudly, stroking Alcide on the head. I continue to look confused at Odette.

"How the hell did you two do that?" I ask exasperated

"Magic" Odette tells me with a wide smile on her beautiful face.

I scratch my head as the scene fades to black.

The moonlight rolls down on my skin as I charge through the woods, my eyes focused on what's in front. My mind wanders.

Changes, everything is changing. Nothing stays the same forever, good thing right?

My feet pound across dry leaves.

Everything is changing right now, everything. My life, the place I work, is my life where I expected it to be?

I dart through the trees, seemingly running to nowhere.

No

My breathing gets heavier

Oh shit, that's a bad thing right, it means I'm fighting with Odette all of a sudden, don't want the things we chosen. Do yourself the slightest of favors and slow down and let me finish. My life is better than I could have ever imagined it to be, so stop reading in to things too damn much. My life turned out to be so much more than I expected, kill me tomorrow, I die happy. That's to get my point across about how things change.

I continue to run, picking up the pace a little.

Work changes too. I mean look at all these new people, SCW are stepping up their game, bringing in new people. New bombshells, one of the top five teams in the NWA alliance, pulling in the NWA Cruiserweight champion, a man who currently holds two different titles in two different alliance federations. But amongst the roses, you expect a weed, well they got that too in the part time, non committal Jericho Hill

My jaw tightens as I dart through more trees.

The man who instantly comes in and gets his info from Misty, to insult my girlfriend. What a dick, I mean possible big shot elsewhere, little part time antics won't get you anywhere here. He'll see the talent and go and hide cause he can't keep up. Reminds me of someone I used to know on Twitter, and no one liked that guy either.

I jump over a fallen tree and continue to run.

Change is good for the most part, gotta expect one lemon to turn up, pick the fight with the wrong person and get his arse handed to him, I'm sure our paths will meet at some point, and I will deal with him.

The image of the moon flashes on the screen.

But change is not something that just happens, that's something you can make happen yourself, and I've heard it all this week. Why didn't I go for the title last Climax Control? Hell, I had enough people to force me in to it. I think there was a lot of hope I was gonna show up and go for it. Why didn't I make that change myself and put myself on the top of the tree?

A rumble of thunder is heard above me.

Why didn't I choose to step up to the plate, fill my need for greed?

I continue to dart through trees.

Because I'm happy, maybe? Because I'm actually content with me being who I am. I'm an NWA Tag Team Champion, why would I be changing a winning formula?

I stop for a few seconds.

Oh yeah, the greed thing.

I shake my head and continue to run once more.

If I would have gone for it, would I be sitting there with a referee's shirt on this week? My need for greed has been fulfilled this week as I'm now in the ring against three giants in the wrestling field, one literary but the other two, figuratively.

I stop, looking up at an old broken down castle. The moon rests behind it, as some clouds break up it's shape. I walk towards the door, pushing it open.

The literal giant, Casey Williams. Hello Casey, we've done this dance before, haven't we? On many occasions, starting from day one in AWA and SCW. Do you remember the out come? I'm sure it's haunted you for a long time that your record against me has been.... for want of a better word.... useless.

I step inside the door.

You've been pretty bad against me haven't you and I've been going on about changes Casey. Life has indeed changed for you as of late. A married man, a pregnant wife, kudos to you Casey. I for one, never expected that. Change is good for you too it seems, but Casey, some things in life never change. Let's use the example of our encounters, shall we? Every chance I've had against you, I have defeated you, and this is one of those things that will not change now. You must have seen your name opposite mine, and through that someone had it in for you, that someone must have been mocking your new found good fortune, but no Casey, there just comes a time in every angry giants life, where he must take on his biggest thorn in his side. I've been that thorn for years Casey. That will not change cause every encounter we have will always end the same, it will always end with you on the losing side.

I look around at the hallway. Cobwebs hang from the ceiling and an old wooden staircase sits in front of me.

This is why you will always struggle to reach the top Casey, because every time you think you're getting there, someone like me will pull you back down and in to the so called abyss. I will always be that monkey on your back, I will always be the man willing to pull you back down. I will be the one who stops you Casey. It's fun defeating giants and it will be again.

I walk towards the steps, putting a foot on the first step.

You are the literal giant Casey, now let's talk about the figurative giants. People who have done more than you in the wrestling world, Tom Dudely for example.

I start to walk up the steps, the floorboards creaking under my weight.

Tom, I'd like you say you were unlucky against the man I am teamed with this week, you run him very close for the gold on Climax Control not long ago, but falling short does not take away what you have done in wrestling in general. You have been a man who has done more in his career than most, a man who has had the balls to stand up, roll with the punches, get knocked down and back on your feet again. It drags respect out of people and makes people give a damn about you. That is why I see you as a giant in this business Tom, because you've earned that status through hard work and sacrifice

I take another step up the staircase, looking around at my dimly lit surroundings

But this is a prime example of why not going in that battle royal, has given me a better path, because I am now in the ring with someone who could just as easily become champion, and I get to show my abilities against a man who is one of the most underrated in SCW. I get to show my skills off against a man who has the ability to pull out surprises out of nowhere. I mean who would have expected you to turn your back on your boss? Who would have seen that shocker coming? Regardless of the fact that you are not a very good human being, you are a talented wrestler. When it comes down to if I would rather be a referee in this match, or facing you Tom. I know where I'd rather be, I know what role I'd like to be playing in this match.

I take another step up.

For the record, I have nothing against Simon Jones as referee. Congratulations on your very big win.

I reach half way up the stair case, looking down on what's behind me, seeming so far in the distance.

Anyway, back to you for a few Tom. I saw what you did, how close you came, and seeing your name opposite mine, a smile broke out on my face, because I get to add your now elevated name to the list of people I have put away. It's a sad truth, but the run that you're on right now, that also won't change.

Moving further up the stairs, the boards start creaking louder.

And Nick Jones, clearly a man who, without trying to stroke that big ego of his, clearly a man who's top of his game, world and heavyweight titles where ever he's been, a long run in SCW which made him the most hated man in SCW for a long time. When you think Nick Jones, you think of what impact he's made in wrestling. That my friends is a slight downfall, because there's more to Nick Jones than what meets the eye. This is a man who pissed on his own family, to elevate himself. This is a man who couldn't give a damn about anyone but Nick Jones. A giant in terms of what he's done, a cockroach in terms of who he is. This man is vermin.

I stand one step from the top.

This man is not only vermin, but delusional vermin. Do you even know what team you're going to be on this week Nick? Is it teaming with Tom and Casey, or is it Nick and his depleted Entourage? Or maybe you're gonna think you're back with The Supremacy. You may be a big man on campus Nick, but your own recent actions have already signed your downfall.

I stand at the top of the stairs looking at the hallway in front of me.

That's the problem with giants in all senses of the word. They're a little bit dumb. You see, you three idiots share a common thing. You like taking a knife in your hand, and plunging it in the backs of people who help you.

I start to walk down the hallway, standing outside a huge door, much larger than myself.

Casey turned on NXT, Nick and Tom on The Supremacy, so it begs the question gentlemen, which one of you is gonna make the turn on their partners first, for personal adulation?

I put my hand on the door.

That's the thing with giants in wrestling, it's a pissing contest on who can be the biggest.

I look at the door, gently leaning my weight behind it

So change gentlemen, it's been the theme of the day, and I'm ready to push the door and face the giants of wrestling at Climax Control, but sadly for you, my winning streak, will not be changing. I'm ready.

I push the door open, walking in to blinding light, before my eyes open, in the darkness of my bed. Odette lays with her head on my shoulder, her hand on my chest.

Are you?

The scene fades out.
>

MARRIED TO ODETTE STEVENS
FIRST EVER SCW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!
FORMER SCW TAG TEAM CHAMPION
FORMER NWA TAG TEAM CHAMPION
@SCWGabriel
#WhatsInYourHead>