Author Topic: What Does The Future Hold? Dates & Deadlines...  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
What Does The Future Hold? Dates & Deadlines...
« on: November 24, 2023, 11:10:49 PM »
~As the picture slowly comes into focus, we find ourselves making the journey through the Garden of Betrayal, an open-air conservatory that Peter Vaughn built earlier this year. It's seen better days, as temperatures in Dallas have gotten below freezing, which means many of the roses have started to wilt away. They're going into hibernation, hopefully to return once the spring thaws out the ground. The cameraman, unfortunately, is not as lucky, as he's grumbling in the cold as he moves along the path.

Cameraman: Why come back here today? Couldn't we have met somewhere warm, like another restaurant or maybe a house with a fireplace? Hell, I'd even take going inside that death-trap next store... well, no, not that one, I'm never going back in there...

~The camera shakes for a moment, and not from the cold. The last time we saw this cameraman filming, it was when Vaughn fell through a weak spot in the roof of the multi-story building next to the Garden. Fortunately for Vaughn, he only suffered some bumps and bruises, coming through it like any other wrestling match. But the cameraman has no interest in being the next accident victim there. He comes around the corner of the "maze" of flowers, and comes to a stop as he sees the center pavilion ahead... covered in some sort of plastic.~

Cameraman: What the heck is this?? Damn it, did he send me to the wrong place again??

~The camera moves awkwardly, as the cameraman presumably works to get his cell phone out. We hear him dialing, followed by an answering ring... from inside the plastic-wrapped pavilion.~

Cameraman: What the...

Peter Vaughn: Hello?

Cameraman: Mr. Vaughn?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, hey, camera-dude. Good to hear from you. Are you on your way in? I'm ready for you.

Cameraman: I... I don't understand... how do I... where's the entrance?

Peter Vaughn: To the Garden? You've been here several times...

Cameraman: No, not the...

Peter Vaughn: Hold on, I'm getting a serious echo effect... oh, wait...

~One side of the plastic suddenly moves to the side, as Vaughn pokes his way out. He takes in the cameraman, grinning, before hanging up the phone.~

Peter Vaughn: Tricky there, boyo. Come on inside.

~Speechless, the cameraman steps forward, finally noting the small seam that was built in to create a 'door' inside the pavilion. Inside, it appears 10 times warmer, thanks to an industrial heater running off to the side. On the center picnic table, there are two cloches covering plates on either side. Confused, the cameraman steps up, but Vaughn stops him.~

Peter Vaughn: Nah, put the camera over there on the stand. You can't eat with your hands full.

~Still quiet, the cameraman does as he was asked, and soon both men are sitting in front of us, with Vaughn waving to the cloche in front of the man.~

Peter Vaughn: It's on an electric warming plate, but feel free to dig in.

~The cameraman reaches out, pulling the cloche carefully, as if expecting an explosion. But all that's underneath is a Thanksgiving-styled meal, including turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. He looks up at Vaughn, who shrugs.~

Peter Vaughn: I had some leftovers from earlier.

~The cameraman doesn't seem to mind, as he starts digging into the meal with the utensils provided. At the same time, Vaughn turns and faces the camera on the stand.~

Peter Vaughn: So now it's all in the record books. The SCW Roulette Championship will now be locked in as the belt of Peter Vaughn. We're past 200 days now of me being the champ, and that's just going to continue until I find the right man worthy enough to hold this title and keep the belt pristine. Now, some would say that a guy like Alexander Raven is more than worthy...

~Vaughn seems to think to himself for a few seconds, and then shrugs.~

Peter Vaughn: They're probably right. But Raven's got his sights set on that Heavyweight Championship right now, so he doesn't even care about taking me on for the gold. I respect that. He would be a horrible choice as the next Roulette Champion, because he would see it as a downgrade, no matter how ridiculous that assumption would be. I mean, I made this belt one of the most treasured titles in the world, and he should respect that. But he wouldn't, so I have no problems just keeping this one a non-title match.

~The cameraman just silently nods, as he sticks another piece of turkey into his mouth. This is better than anything he could have expected.~

Peter Vaughn: But it still is in my best interest to not back down against Alexis at all. I need him to feel like he's had the fight of his life... before he gets to have the fight of his life with J2H. Honestly, it's terrible booking for the man, because how's he going to manage being 100 percent against one of the toughest guys in Sin City when he's got to go to war with me first? And sure, there won't be any unique Roulette twists, but that doesn't mean that he will get through this match unscathed. Accidents happen... you know?

~With that, Vaughn steps forward and removes the second cloche. Unlike the cameraman's plate, this one doesn't contain any food. Instead, we see a variety of objects. An exposed turnbuckle. A metal pipe, usually found inside a guardrail. A piece of rebar, possibly from the edge of a ring. A timekeeper's bell. The cameraman, surprised, stares at the items, before continuing to eat, not wanting to waste the food.~

Peter Vaughn: You see, Alex, even in a regular match... there are some serious dangers. Items that may look harmless or part of the scenery, but can still be used without a threat of disqualification. Okay, the ring bell is a stretch... but you see what I mean, right, boyo? Are you content with the fact that you're risking your chance to win the Heavyweight Title at December 2 Dismember V for a match that will likely only end one way? I mean, I don't think your full heart is going to be in it, because you have so much to lose...

~With that, Vaughn picks up the metal pipe, studying it.~

Peter Vaughn: But me, Alexander? I already got my record. I've already done what I set out to do. Which means that I have absolutely nothing to lose in this one... which gives me everything to gain.

~Vaughn smirks, before slamming the pipe down on the table. It rattles everything, causing the cameraman to jump. Vaughn glances over at him, then drops the pipe back on the plate.~

Peter Vaughn: Sorry. Got a little carried away. Enjoy the rest of your meal, and I'll see you next time. Turn off the heater before you leave, okay?

~With a quick nod, Vaughn heads out the plastic screen, which seals up behind him thanks to a conveniently placed piece of Velcro. The cameraman reaches over and takes a drink from the nearby cup, sighing in satisfaction. After a second or two, though, he slowly looks to the right, at the large heater nearby... a type of heater that he's never seen before.~

Cameraman: Uh... wait... Mr. Vaughn? Mr. Vaughn, I don't know how to turn this off...

~The cameraman hurries out of the pavilion, moving to try and catch up to Vaughn, as the camera keeps recording the empty room. What, did you expect a slow zoom in or something? It's not magic, people, someone has to be there behind the lens. It can be edited, though, as we see the shot cut off, taking us to a black screen.~

~The shot comes back in as we find ourselves in a small shopping mall somewhere in Dallas. Inside, the Black Friday sales are going, as small groups move around, filling up their carts with any deals that they can find. One such couple is moving along now, checking out the sales, although the guy doesn't seem too impressed.~

Peter Vaughn: Seriously? A vacuum cleaner for $20 off? That's what constitutes a Black Friday sale nowadays? No wonder this place is basically dead.

~Vaughn looks around, still disappointed, as his recently-made fiancé, Sadie Anderson, steps up next to him and laughs.~

Sadie Anderson: You're such a cynic at times, you know that, Peter?

Peter Vaughn: I can't help it. I remember when the deals were so good, you had to fight off the crowds and win the war to grab the limited item that was 80-90% off. The blood, the violence, the conquest... those were damn good times. Now, look at this place? It's the most empty I've ever seen a store on Black Friday, and it's because nobody has the money for these crappy deals.

~To signify his point, Vaughn waves at another stand set off, offering a set of luxury towels for $4. The towels don't look particularly impressive, but without feeling the fabric, you can't really be sure it's not a deal, I suppose.~

Sadie Anderson: Well, at least we came out to look around. You never know when a sale like this will pay off. You know, we still need to make a wedding registry, so people can start thinking about what they need to bring to the reception.

Peter Vaughn: People actually do that? I thought it was only for a baby shower...

Sadie Anderson: Well, THAT possibility is still in the future...

[ ~Sadie blushes slightly, but Vaughn doesn't seem to see it. He's already stepping to the right, picking up a set of steak knives.~

Peter Vaughn: Twenty bucks? ... That's not terrible... but we don't need them.

~Vaughn puts them back, turning around to see Sadie standing in front of him.~

Peter Vaughn: What? Did you want them? I can get them...

Sadie Anderson: It's not that, Peter, it's just that... at some point, we're going to have to talk about some details, aren't we?

Peter Vaughn: Details? Like steak knives?

Sadie Anderson: Like, for instance, when is our wedding going to be? You proposed to me, I said yes... and you haven't even talked to me about a date yet. Don't you think it's important for us to start working on that?

~Vaughn thinks about that for a few moments, moving to the side as another cluster of people move through. One of them grabs the steak knives, walking off with them, but Vaughn doesn't notice.~

Peter Vaughn: I have to confess, I wasn't that worried about it, really, Sadie.

Sadie Anderson: Not worried? Really??

Peter Vaughn: Well, I mean, I know we'd have to plan it for a time when I don't have a wrestling match scheduled in SCW, TPW, WGWF, or anywhere else. Although I know they do some weddings inside a ring, but that always seems to ask for trouble, and you don't need that. Then we'd have to plan it for a time when you and I could both get away from the ranch for a bit. I know the next season's coming in quickly, we'd have to train some people up. Then again, our staff is already pretty damn good, aren't they?

Sadie Anderson: Yes, but they, too, might want to come, you know?

Peter Vaughn: Eh, they wouldn't have to. I'm not going to be that kind of ranch boss and force it.

Sadie Anderson: And what about our family's schedule?

~A slightly darker shadow crosses Vaughn's face for a moment, but he shakes it away.~

Peter Vaughn: I mean, your family, certainly. My dad's gone, and my mom... well, there's always Thomas, I suppose.

Sadie Anderson: Of course your half-brother will be there.

~Sadie shakes her head as Vaughn moves further to the side, looking at another box, which apparently contains Black Friday pillows. Pillows. That's just awful.~

Sadie Anderson: I don't mean to put you on the spot...

Peter Vaughn: How about tomorrow?

Sadie Anderson: ... What?

Peter Vaughn: It's before my match at Climax Control. All of the staff is still around for the weekend. Even Thomas is hanging out with that new girlfriend of his, along with his kid. I know a minister or two, they'd probably be willing to do it, and then we can...

Sadie Anderson: No, Peter!

~Sadie's suddenly sharp tone catches Vaughn's attention, as he turns back to her, surprised. She looks upset, shaking her head.~

Sadie Anderson: I'm not marrying you tomorrow... not that fast! Not that... casually!!

~With a deep, painful sigh, Sadie turns and walks away, as Vaughn watches her go, looking completely bewildered.~

Peter Vaughn: But you said to pick a date!

~As Sadie disappears down another aisle, Vaughn takes a few steps forward, still not sure what to do. He looks back at the pillow stand, then suddenly lashes out, punching the top pillow. It goes flying several feet away, disappearing behind some clothes, as a shout rings out.~

Voice: Hey! Who threw... oh, wow, a pillow, I really needed one of those. Thanks!

~Vaughn doesn't respond, as he's already moving after Sadie now, trying to figure out what to do.~

There are still plenty of things in this world I don't understand.

Why do we call a package going by car a shipment, while a package going by ship is called cargo?

Why do the security guards at the airports always want to search me when I'm on my way to another match?

Why is Bill Barnhart still employed?

Yep, there are lots of questions I have, but the #1 question for me right now is what do the Sin City Bookers have against Alexander Raven?

They've really put you in a bind, Rave. I mean, c'mon, it's clear that you're going to be distracted in our match-up. They've even got J2H watching you face off against me from ringside. You think that you're going to be able to keep yourself 100% focused on The Mechanic with that kind of threat RIGHT THERE in your face? And if you want to be able to beat someone like me in a singles match, you definitely need to be 100 percent.

I'm thinking you'll be around 75%, and I may be feeling a little generous on that.

Now, don't get me wrong. A Raven at 75 percent is certainly still dangerous. You may be down a wing, but that still leaves the claws and that big beak of yours. Sorry, but your nose is a well-known danger to every wrestler, that's just a fact. But I don't care about J2H hanging out there. I'm not looking to impress anyone, or make any kind of statement. I've never had to do that before, and I'm sure as hell not going to start now.

People learn to respect me whether they want to or not. I don't need to force anything.

All it's going to take, Lex, is for you to turn your eyes towards J2H at the wrong second. You notice him, think about him, remember how you've got to somehow fight through that buzzsaw that tore you up at the last PPV... and in that instant, you're going to be vulnerable, and I'm going to strike. You know Revenged can come at any time, from virtually any direction. One second, my friend... one second.

One second before you find yourself waking up and realizing that you've lost it all.

I've known a lot of wrestlers that have described the sensation of the Revenged to me after the fact. It basically goes from you having all the faith in the world that you're still in the contest, to instantly coming to and asking the referee what happened. It's funny that the Plunge and the Keyholder both are dangerous maneuvers, but it's Revenged that really seems to be the most... painless. Still, it does the job, as you'll soon find out, boyo.

I wonder if that doubt is already starting to creep its way into your subconscious. That thought that, once you taste defeat at my hands (or feet, as the case may be), the fans will lose faith that you're a worthy main eventer to go for the World Title? Well, feel free to stuff that doubt down and crush it. You don't need to think that way. I honestly believe you're definitely a worthy contender for the belt. You're going to be one of the best wrestlers I've faced here in Sin City singles, I believe. I mean, who rates near you? Jack Washington, maybe?

I'm 2-1 now against him, by the way.

And losing to me would be no crown of dishonor to be worn. I've beaten many of the best in the business, and their careers have continued straight forward... well, most of them. I know, some people will bring up Caedus or Marshall, but those were different. I truly don't believe your career will go into the gutter by getting Plunged by me. I have no reason to ground another Raven, like I have James and Matthew.

I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. They're "famous", right?

The point is, Al, there's no shame in what's to come. There's no embarrassment. I think it's going to be an incredible contest, and while I'm fairly confident that I'm going to come out on top, you really shouldn't let it decide your fate. It's nothing that should really send that treacherous, doubting worm burrowing into your self-confidence, tearing it apart from within and leading you to have the most god-awful match ever seen in a main event of an SCW PPV.

You won't let that happen, Alex? Right? Because I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting there at the arena, having dispensed with Lyons once again, and seeing it happen. I wouldn't have a box of popcorn sitting with me, either, enjoying the entire moment. I definitely wouldn't be cheering J2H on as he knocks you cold with Solid Gold.

Nope. Wouldn't be me.

I know it's hard to understand, Raven... but I do still want you to succeed. Just not this show. Not this match. Not this time.

And never against me.

~We rejoin Sadie Anderson as she's currently in the furniture department of the store. She is sitting on one of the model beds, thinking things through. Behind her, we can see Peter Vaughn approaching, apparently with a box of Christmas chocolates in his hands. He slowly comes around Sadie, making sure she looks at him, before he offers the chocolates.~

Peter Vaughn: Here you go. Ummm, apparently they're half off today only.

~Sadie can't help but smile at the gesture, as it's both somewhat ridiculous and somewhat completely sincere at the same time. She pats the side of the bed, and Vaughn takes a seat next to her.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm sorry that I suggested tomorrow. I just... I tend to think things through too 'logically' at times, I guess.

Sadie Anderson: That's okay, Peter. I may have overreacted...

~Sadie sighs, then turns herself to look at her fiancé with sincere eyes.~

Sadie Anderson: I just... I always dreamed of the perfect wedding, Peter. I'm sure a lot of ladies have at one time or another. It's the moment that most of us, if we're lucky, we'll only have one chance at. I don't want to just do something simple, like the justice of the peace or Las Vegas. I want an honest-to-goodness, large-scale wedding that will make all of my friends from school jealous.

Peter Vaughn: Well, then... I guess I'll have to give that to you.

Sadie Anderson: It's not about "giving it", Peter. We're doing it together. It's our event. It's OUR wedding.

Peter Vaughn: I know that. I just... you have to remember, Sadie, that while you grew up with a great family and saw the best of everyone... I didn't. I saw my family dissolve. I saw other families around me collapse due to cheating or neglect. Sometimes both. It's not like I've seen many strong relationships in wrestling, either. So for me... this is an extremely new concept, and I just never... expected I would be here.

~You can see on Vaughn's face that he's flashing back to when his mother deserted their family, followed by the collapses of so many couples around him... some of which he helped cause. He's not proud of those... but he's not disgusted by them, either. They're just... there. He leans back on the bed, staring upwards.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm going to be trying to learn a lot as we go along, Sadie. I'm just in completely untraveled territory for me. But with your help... we can reach that perfect wedding. Whatever it takes. Whoever I have to take down to get there.

~Sadie leans back with him, the two now facing upwards towards the store ceiling. She smiles.~

Sadie Anderson: I doubt you're going to have to beat up too many people to make this happen, Peter. But I appreciate your enthusiasm.

~The two smile at each other, although there's a hint of disappointment in Vaughn's eyes. But that's to be expected.~

Sadie Anderson: We're going to find the right date. We're going to find the right venue. And we're going to end up husband and wife, in a day that we'll remember for the rest of our lives.

Peter Vaughn: That sounds... pretty good to me.

~As Vaughn inches forward, looking for a kiss, there's a sudden clearing of the throat near them. Both sit up, sitting a younger man standing there, his arms crossed.~

Young Man: Sorry, but I already bought this one. Didn't you see the sticker?

~He points to the side, where there is, indeed, a "sold" sticker on the edge of the model bed. Both Vaughn and Sadie exchange a look.~

Peter Vaughn: You seriously bought the model bed? With so many of them packed up around here?

Young Man: They give the best discounts on those. We... don't have much money.

~Behind them, we can see a younger woman sitting there, looking tired but happy. The small baby in her arms is deep asleep, thankfully, soothed by the rocking motion of the mother. Sadie, seeing this, nudges Vaughn with her elbow. He looks at her, confused, and she nods towards them, before nodding towards one of the other beds here. Vaughn sighs.~

Peter Vaughn: Trust me, kid. This bed sucks. Get your money back. I'll buy you one of the more advanced models over there.

Young Man: You'll... you'll buy it for us? Why?

~Vaughn glances over at Sadie, who's still smiling brightly.~

Peter Vaughn: Because it's that time of the year, I guess. And also because those are the ones that are most discounted right now. Gotta make the right choices, you know?

~Vaughn gets up, with Sadie right beside him. They head over to the next section, signaling to the salesperson to come over, as the lucky family follows behind. We fade out.~

My life is definitely undergoing some changes at the moment.

Some would say those changes are long overdue.

Like, for instance, finally making my way upwards towards the Heavyweight Title division, where you've been for a while, haven't you, Reaver?  How many attempts at the brass ring have you had now? I'm personally too lazy to count. But you've never made it there, have you? You've had your runs in the Internet and Roulette Divisions, sure, but you've never been able to get over that hump here in Sin City. Why do you think that is? Are you just not good enough? Or has it just been bad luck and unfortunate choices?

Either way, I suppose that's something we both have in common. I've never worn the SCW Heavyweight Title, either. Now, bear in mind, I've never been GIVEN a shot at the Heavyweight Title, but that doesn't change the fact that this is the only fed I'm currently in where I've never been at the top.

Actually, in most of my feds, I've been there multiple times.

So one would ask, who, between us, is most deserving of that opportunity? And I'd say... well, you've already been given yet another chance, so who am I to take it away? But here's the thing, Alexanduh... if and when I defeat you on Sunday, I'd say that puts me pretty close to the top contendership in the land, doesn't it? Wouldn't that be something? Skipping the Internet Division entirely and going straight at the big dogs?

Many have said I should have been there already, never understanding why I've been taking my time. But what can I say? I've been enjoying myself. But now, maybe the dials have finally spun around to point me upwards, towards the greatness of the Sin City Heavyweight Title.

And hell, if I defeat you, and then you somehow cause J2H to slip in a puddle of sweat and roll him up for a 3 count, that would almost guarantee I'd be the one coming next for the belt, wouldn't it? But I think that's a pipe dream. I've seen J2H in person during a tag-team match, and let me tell you, Alex... you just don't feel like you're in the same league as him. So I'm pretty sure the Heavyweight strap is staying where it is.

But that doesn't mean I shouldn't still get some credit by out-wrestling you all over that ring.

I'm going to be bringing my absolute best into this contest, Allie. I'm going to be whaling on you with every single maneuver I can pull out of my bag of tricks, and believe me, as much as I've done here in Sin City, you haven't seen nearly my full repertoire. I've won eleven World Titles by being the best of the best. It's a phrase that I believe in fully. I always know that I can win any and all contests I enter into. I'm always a threat to dominate my opponents.

Not that I'm looking to dominate you. Because that just doesn't sound right.

But I'm definitely focused on bringing you to your knees... no, hang on, take three...

I'm going to pound your... hmmm...

Let's just say that I'm going to be victorious, okay, Gravy? I'm going to hit you with everything I've got, and maybe a little more besides. I'm going to show you, just like I've shown Kasey, Rodrigo, Lyons, Washington, and all the others who didn't think I could get past them. I'm going to make you believe the truth that I just am that much better than you.

And then you're going to experience a major change in your life, Raven.

You're going to take the Plunge.

It's a ride I bet you never forget... especially with J2H watching. Good luck to you, boyo. You're going to need it.

~We are now outside of the mall, where Vaughn and Sadie are walking along to their car. Nearby, we can see the young couple waving happily at them as they head to their beaten-down car, the delivery charges for their new bed already completed. Sadie waves back. Vaughn's too busy glancing into the bag he's carrying. As they reach Vaughn's beloved truck, Gabriella, Sadie smirks at him.~

Sadie Anderson: I still can't believe you bought the steak knives.

~Vaughn pops open the back storage area, popping the knives inside for safe keeping, before getting the truck unlocked for Sadie and getting in himself.~

Peter Vaughn: I know... I couldn't stop thinking about them. I mean, they WERE a great deal.

Sadie Anderson: And you also felt like you HAD to buy yourself something, just to make the trip not feel like a waste.

Peter Vaughn: There's that, too.

~The two look out the window, to where the sun is just beginning to rise over the horizon. It's a rather romantic look, not that Vaughn would ever see it that way.~

Sadie Anderson: I know we still have a lot to talk about. But we have all the time in the world, Peter. There's no rush. We'll get the details worked out.

Peter Vaughn: Or we can just hire a wedding planner to take care of all of that...

Sadie Anderson: Not a chance.

Peter Vaughn: I knew you were going to say that.

~Both laugh, as Vaughn starts up the engine and lets it rumble for a few seconds.~

Peter Vaughn: So want to go talk about some of those details over breakfast? Or is there another store you'd like to visit?

Sadie Anderson: I think I'm Black Friday'd out.

Peter Vaughn: Then pancakes it is.

Sadie Anderson: Don't forget, married couples share everything.

Peter Vaughn: I'm going to buy you your own plate of 'cakes, don't worry.

Sadie Anderson: That's not what I meant!!

~They drive off, with Vaughn still wanting to have individual pancake plates, while his fiancé is more interested in getting different orders and sharing between them. This couple has a long, long way to go. Pray for them. We fade out.~