Author Topic: Answering The Call  (Read 256 times)

Offline Jake Sullivan

• TAFKAR-The Artist Formerly Known As Rage
    • View Profile
    • Jake Sullivan
Answering The Call
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »

Monday July 4th
Rage’s Home
Las Vegas, Nevada
Happy Independence Day!

When most people look at Rage, they see a monstrous, hardly ever happy, brooding asshole type.  He’s never struck anyone as one to attend, let alone host a party of any kind, but today he has other plans.  Today, he’s throwing a Fourth of July shindig at his home and he’s invited all of the Seven Deadly Sins, and those who are “honorary” Sins or Sins by association.  And while it is true that not all of the Sins are American, that simply didn’t matter.  

With just about an hour to go until everyone is scheduled to start arriving, Rage and Phil are in the kitchen, making sure all the food is prepped and ready to be cooked.  Kittie and Maddie are out on the pool deck, getting a few minutes of sun in after they got that area all set up.  As Rage is getting all the burger patties seasoned, his phone, which is on the counter just a few feet away from him, starts to ring.  He rolls his eyes and lets out a growl as he chooses to ignore it.  The phone is directly next to Phil, and he glances down at it noticing the phone number that is showing on the screen.

Phil: You’re not gonna answer it?

Rage shakes his head and he places another burger patty on the sheet pan in front of him.  His phone finally goes to voicemail.

Rage: Nope.  I know exactly who it is and I’m not answering that phone any time she tries calling me.  Surprised she hasn’t gotten the hint yet.

Phil: Let me guess...That Electra chick?

Rage nods.

Rage: If she doesn’t get the hint, I’m going to end up changing my damn phone number.  I don’t know why the bitch is so fucking obsessed.

Phil: I agree that you should change your number if she doesn’t stop calling, but maybe after you find out what it is that she’s trying to talk to you about.  I mean, you tossed her out of here a couple of weeks back, but you still don’t know what it is that she wants, right?

Rage: I’ll tell you what I told Synn.  I don’t want to know what she wants, Phil.  I have a good idea what she wants, and it ain’t happening.  She’s in one of her psychotic moments where she’s got it in her head that we’re meant for each other or some shit, but we’re not.  That ship sailed a long time ago.

Phil nods for a few moments and Rage turns and heads over to the refrigerator.  He opens the door and places the sheet pan inside the fridge and takes out a bottle of beer.  He pops the top off as he turns back around to face his brother, immediately noting the curious look on Phil’s face.

Phil: How long were you two together anyway?  It had to be long enough to give her a reason to think it would last.

Rage takes a big gulp of his beer and shrugs.

Rage: Fuck if I remember, honestly.  Couldn’t have been any longer than a year, but that was ten years ago, Phil.  She wanted more out it than I did.

Phil: So what happened?  Sounds like you dumped her and she didn’t like it.

Rage: Shit just got complicated.  I joined the Sins.  She didn’t like it and kept trying to talk me out of leaving, but I wouldn’t do it.  Then more shit happened around the time that GXW closed down and I couldn’t deal with it anymore.

Phil is about to respond, but the two of them turn their attention to the pool deck outside where they hear Kittie and Maddie laughing about something.  Rage takes another drink of his beer and shakes his head, only being able to imagine what the two women are laughing about.  Phil has a smile on his face, though.

Phil: What other shit happened, bro?  I mean, I know you told me before that the situation with you and Kittie is different, but aren’t you worried that the same thing could happen if she ends up wanting more?

Rage stares at Kittie outside for a moment, letting himself get deep in thought about something.  Phil waits for an answer for what seems like minutes until Rage shakes his head and looks back to his brother.

Rage: Definately not.  Like I said, everything that happened is in the past, and I’d like to keep it in the past.  And this thing with Kittie is different, but it’s not going to mirror the relationship I had with Electra.  I can guarantee that one.

Phil: How can you guarantee that?

Rage is about to answer, but when the door leading to the pool deck opens, he goes quiet as Kittie and Maddie walk inside.  Phil, however, is still staring at him, waiting for an answer.  Rage shakes his head.

Rage: Don’t worry about it.  I’ll tell you later.

Phil shrugs as Madde walks up to him and he wraps his arm around her waist and then leans down, giving her a quick kiss.  Kittie, on the other hand just stands next to Rage as she playfully elbows him in the side, eliciting a roll of the eyes and a growl from him.

Kittie: Don’t worry about what?  What were you two talking about?

Rage shakes his head.

Rage: Quit being so damn nosey, Kittie.  You don’t see me asking what you and Maddie were out there laughing about, do you?

Maddie smiles and lets out a laugh.

Maddie: Oh we’ll tell you if you really want to know, but somehow I think that you wouldn’t exactly like to hear about girl talk, now would you?

Rage quickly shakes his head and finishes off his beer before he tosses the empty bottle in the recycle bin.

Rage: Hell no.  That’s the reason I don’t ask!

Kittie: Don’t be such an asshole, peanut head.  Everyone should start getting here soon and need I remind you that this was your idea to begin with.  So you should be a nice host for once in your life.

Rage: Maybe I will if you don’t give me a reason to be an asshole.

Kittie sneers at Rage and Maddie looks up at Phil.

Maddie: Are you sure he’s your brother?  You’re so much sweeter than him!

Kittie and Phil both let out a laugh.

Kittie: Rage doesn’t know how to be sweet, but that’s okay.  He can be an asshole all he wants.  It’ll just give me more reason to be a bitch right back to him.

As Kittie laughs again, she’s suddenly taken by surprise as Rage reaches down and picks her up, tossing her over his shoulder.  Phil and Maddie are equally surprised and they watch as Rage heads towards the door leading to the pool deck.

Kittie: What the fuck?!  Put me down, Rage!

Rage: Oh I’ll put you down, alright!  I’m going to drop your ass right in the pool!

Kittie continues kicking and screaming as she tries to get Rage to put her down.  Maddie just watches on, shocked and Phil shakes his head, quietly chuckling.  

Phil: Man if this is any indication on how the rest of the day is going to do, this is going to be one chaotic day.  Now’s your chance to bail, babe, because once the others get here, I can guarantee they won’t let us leave.

Maddie shakes her head and laughs.

Maddie: I’m sure I can handle it, Phil.  How bad--

She’s cut off mid-sentence as they hear a giant splash.  They look outside to see Kittie standing on the edge of the pool, pointing and laughing at Rage who is now in the pool, a furious look on his face as he heads over to the edge of the pool to climb out.

Phil: I should have seen that one coming…

Phil lets out another laugh as he takes Maddie by the hand and the two head out to the pool as Kittie continues laughing and Rage finally climbs out of the water, though he is far from happy.

Flash Forward About An Hour…

The party is now in full swing and most every member of the Seven Deadly Sins family is gathered around the pool deck.  Phil and Maddie are enjoying some time in the pool.  Gabriel and Odette are several feet away from the pool with their one year old son, Lucas.  Shane and Fantasia are soaking up some rays in two of the lounge chairs.  Kittie and Despayre are engaged in what appears to be a sparkler fight of some sort as to re-enact one of the duels from the Harry Potter movies while Synn and Chris Shipman are seated at the large patio table under the umbrella with Theresa and Despayre’s mother and grandmother, Margaret and Victoria.  The only one noticeably absent from the party is Melody Grace, but because the bubbly Bombshell Internet Champion isn’t feeling well at the moment so it was decided she stay away and get some rest.

As Rage finishes getting the grill ready, he looks over in Kittie’s direction and nods before he steps away from the grill and heads starts heading towards Shane and Fantasia.  Both have their heads tilted back with their sunglasses on and are wearing their skimpiest swimming attire, choosing to ignore Rage’s growls to change into something different.  Specifically, Shane.  As soon as Rage steps in front of the two, he blocks the sunlight from over Shane, and the now annoyed Sin of Pride lets out a sigh.

Shane: Oi!  Move ya big arse from out of in front of my sunlight.

Rage lets out a laugh.

Rage: Go put on something other than that skimpy as speedo and maybe I will!

Shane: Just because I look better in a speedo than you ever will, doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to wear one.

Rage rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

Rage: Whatever.  You mind if I borrow Fantasia for a few minutes?

Fantasia cracks a smile and she brings her head down to look towards Rage.

Fantasia: Trust me, Rage.  If you want to borrow me, you’ll need a hell of alot longer than a few minutes.

She winks at him and Shane nods.

Shane: Yeah, and that’s just for the recovery.

Rage closes his eyes and shakes his head, trying his best not to let out an annoyed sigh.  He opens his eyes again, his attention focused on Fantasia.

Rage: Yeah, I walked into that one, I know, but I need to talk to you about something.

Fantasia: Whatever you say, big boy.  I’ll be right back, love.

Fantasia stands up from the lounge chair and follows Rage a few feet away.  As Rage is about to speak, he gets a weird feeling and looks down, spotting Angel right at his feet.

Rage: Oh for God’s sake…

He takes grabs Fantasia’s arm gently and leads her towards the door leading into his house.  She raises an eyebrow and lets out an amused laugh.

Fantasia: Are you kidding?

Rage turns and looks to Fantasia.

Rage: No, I’m not!  I’m not taking any chances with that damn bear!  I swear he has a microphone or one of those stupid nanny cams hidden inside of him.

Fantasia lets out another laugh as Rage leads her inside the house, closing the door behind them.  He looks around, making sure no one is following them inside and he finally turns around to face Fantasia.  She looks a little confused, but utterly curious about Rage’s odd behavior.

Fantasia: Alright, what is going on?  I’ve known you for a long time and have never seen you act like this.

Rage: Yeah, I know.  Look, I’m going to tell you something and it’s only because I need your help with something.  You can’t tell anyone, do you understand?  Not even Shane and especially not Despy, because--

Fantasia holds her hand up, quieting him before he can continue.

Fantasia: You have my word, Rage.  Just calm down and tell me what is going on.

Rage closes his eyes and takes in a few deep breaths as he appears to be building up enough courage to tell Fantasia what he needs to tell her.  After a few seconds, he opens his eyes again, looks around one more time and when the coast is clear, he breaks his silence.

Rage: I need your help buying something for Kittie…

Fantasia cracks a smile.

Fantasia: Oh, honey, she’s really not that hard to buy for.  And as much as I love Kittie, I think our tastes may be a little--

Rage: A ring, Fantasia.  I need your help in picking out a damn ring, alright?!

Fantasia’s eyes widen and her jaw drops open.  She’s left completely speechless at hearing this revelation and Rage just stands there nodding.

Rage: Somehow I expected that to be your reaction.  I know none of you saw that one coming, but trust me...neither did I.  Are you going to help me or not, because the fewer people that know, the better, and I really have no fucking clue what to look for in a ring.

Fantasia: What...kind of ring are we talking about here?  I just need clarification because there are many--

Rage: What kind of ring do you think?!  An engagement ring!  I’m gonna ask Kittie to marry me, alright?!

Fantasia is again left temporarily speechless and Rage turns around to look outside as he hears a loud splash.  Despayre has just jumped into the pool and Kittie is walking over to sit under the umbrella for a few minutes.

Fantasia: Wow...Talk about completely unexpected, but I guess early congratulations are in order.  I’d be honored to help you choose the ring, though.

Rage: I still have to ask and she has to say yes, but thanks.  And like I said...you can’t tell anyone.

Fantasia: Your secret is safe with me.

Just as Fantasia says this, the patio door opens and Gabriel walks inside, heading towards the refrigerator.

Gabriel: Secret?  What secret?

Rage quickly turns his attention to Gabriel as the Sin of Greed opens the refrigerator and takes out a cold beer.  He pops the top off and stares at Rage, waiting for an answer and wanting in on whatever secret the big man is keeping.  But Rage shakes his head as he walks over to the refrigerator and takes out the meat that needs to be put on the grill.

Rage: Nothing.  There’s no secret.

Gabriel: That’s not what I just walked in on.  Come on.  I can keep a secret better than anyone.

Rage stares at Gabriel and just blinks slowly.

Rage: Sorry, magic man.  I’m not willing to test that theory out.  Come on.  I’m about to start the food.

Gabriel looks towards Fantasia, almost asking her with his eyes, but the red-haired beauty just shakes her head and chooses to keep her promise to Rage.  Gabriel shrugs and the three of them head back outside to join the others.  As Rage walks back up to the grill and sets the sheet pan down and his attention is drawn to the pool where Phil is yelling and splashing about like a madman as he keeps going under and then popping back up.

Rage: What the hell is going on?!

Synn is staring towards the situation in the pool and he answers that question very calmly.

Synn: Oh don’t worry.  Joshua is just playing Jaws.

The group shares a laugh as Phil pops back up one final time and leaps a distance away, presumably from Despayre, and he grabs on to the side of the pool.

Rage: Hey Phil!  Despy did the whole Jaws act on you, huh?!

Phil coughs a little bit and glares at his brother.

Phil: Ya think?!  I wouldn’t have cared but he BITES!

Despayre suddenly pops up next to him and with a smile replies.

Despayre: Yeah!  And so does Jaws!

Phil just seems dumbfounded but Rage turns his attention to Synn with a shrug.

Rage: That actually makes sense…

Everyone nods and shares another laugh as Rage opens the grill and watches as Fantasia joins Shane once again.  He watches carefully, making sure she doesn’t let Shane in on his plans and when everything stays calm and relaxed, he starts placing the burgers, bratwurst and hot dogs on the grill.  Despayre climbs out of the pool and heads over to Rage just as he closes the top on the grill.

Despayre: What are we having?!

Rage: Burgers, brats and hot dogs.  Which do you want?  I’ll let you grab a plate when the first one is done.

Despayre thinks for a moment and then his face lights up.

Despayre: I want Steak!

Everyone lets out a laugh, but Rage just shakes his head.  He’s about to tell Despayre that steak isn’t one of the choices, but he gets another idea instead.

Rage: A burger it is.

Despayre shakes his head.

Despayre: No, I said I want Steak!

Rage: Burgers are steak in ground form.  So...you’re getting a burger then.

Despayre goes to say something, but he stops and thinks for another moment.

Despayre: ….Oh.  Well in that case, I’ll take a hot dog!

Despayre then skips away, heading over to join Gabriel, Odette and Lucas and Rage just shakes his head again.  He lets the meat continue cooking and he heads for the door and heads back into the kitchen to start bringing out more of the food.  Once he’s inside, his attention is drawn to his cell phone on the counter.  It’s ringing again, and considering everyone else is outside on the patio, he knows that it has to be Electra trying to call him once again.  He lets in continue ringing as he gathers plates and eating utensils, setting them down on the counter before he grabs a few things out of the refrigerator.  Eventually, the call goes to voicemail once again.  He takes one last look at his phone before he heads back outside with the plates in hand.  

Just as he walks outside a rocket comes flying right at his head!  He ducks just in the knick of time and the rocket zooms up and just above his house and when Rage looks in the direction that it came from, who does he spot with the lighter right next to him?

Angel…

Rage looks around for Despayre and he sees him on the opposite side of the pool with Gabriel, Odette and Lucas, meaning he was nowhere near close enough to be able to light that rocket.  Everyone else is staring at Rage and he just growls and shakes his head.

Rage: One of these days I’ll figure out how that damn bear does that shit…

Kittie: Good luck with that, peanut head!

Everyone lets out a laugh as Rage sets the plates down on the patio table and disappears back inside once again without trying to wrap his head around Angel’s latest shenanigan.

Friday July 8th
Reno, Nevada

Let’s flash forward to later on in the week.  After a successful 4th of July party and a few days off to relax and recover, it’s time to get down to business.  With just two days to go until Climax Control and his next title defense scheduled against Markus Reeves, Rage has to focus on stepping into the ring with perhaps his toughest challenge to date.  And while Rage has shown no ounce of concern about facing Markus Reeves, Synn and Kittie have tried to get Rage to at least see this match for what it is.

A very big challenge.  Quite literally.

It’s later in the evening here in Reno and not long after arriving and getting checked into their hotel room, Rage searched around the area until he found a local gym to work out in.  It wasn’t anything special, but it was a good enough spot to start getting ready for his match and get away from the others for an hour or two.

But now it’s back to the grind, and time to head back to the others and head out for dinner.  He has his duffel bag slung over his shoulder as he’s heading out of the doors to get a taxi to take him back to the hotel.  Just as he does, his phone rings inside his pocket.  He lets out a growl as he reaches into his pocket and takes out his phone, but instead of checking to see who is calling, he just assumes it’s Kittie and he immediately answers the call.

Rage: Kittie, I’m on my--

Electra: I’m not Kittie, but it’s about time you answered one of my calls.

Rage immediately frowns, realizing what he’s done.

Rage: Shit...Goodbye, Electra.  I’ve got nothing to say to you.

Electra: Wait!  Rage, please don’t hang up!

Rage: How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not interested in anything you have to say?  Nothing you say is going to magically get me to change my mind and come running back to you, Electra.  So do us all a favor and just give up already.

Rage spots a taxi down the street and raises his hand, hailing him over.  The taxi pulls up next to him a few minutes later and Rage opens the back door, tossing his duffel bag into the back seat.

Electra: That’s not at all what I’m trying to do, Rage.  I swear to you, it’s not.  There’s something I need to talk to you about if you would just listen to me.  I’m not trying to win you back or anything.  Trust me, I got the picture loud and clear when you powerbombed me through that table.

Rage: If you want to talk, then you better make it quick because I’m about to get into the back of a taxi and head back to my hotel.

Electra: This isn’t something I would like to talk to you about over the phone, Rage.  It’d be better in person.

Rage shakes his head, not that Electra can see him doing so.

Rage: Fuck that.  You can either tell me over the phone, or not at all.  It’s your choice…

Electra: Please, Rage.  I’m not far from Reno right now.  I can meet you later for some coffee or something.

Rage: No.  Fuck no.  You had your chance, Electra.  Now stop calling me.

Electra: Rage, please don’t hang--

Too late.  Rage pulls the phone away from his ear, ends the call and then puts the phone back in his pocket.  He gets into the back of the taxi, tells the driver where to go and a few seconds later, the driver heads off down the road.  Once the car is far enough down the street, the sound of heels clicking against the concrete are heard and Electra Blaze appears and watches as the taxi turns down another street, and she shakes her head with her arms folded across her chest.

Electra: I wish he’d stop being so damn difficult.  Soon, Rage...Very soon.

She shakes her head again before she turns around and walks down the street in the opposite direction, and Rage is none the wiser that Electra is in the same city limits as he is.

Here we go again.  Before I looked at the card for the show, I was expecting to be booked in another match.  I mean, I had the week off last week so I knew damn well I was going to be involved in some kind of match.  Or, at least I hoped I was.  But I sure as shit didn’t think I’d be booked in ANOTHER title defense, because let’s face it, all the titles aren’t defended every damn week.  Usually they give the champions a fucking break between title defense, but what do you know?  They’re apparently not giving The Sin of Wrath a fucking break, are they?

Matt Spears wasn’t exactly much of a challenge.  I knew walking into that match that I would be walking out with the Internet Championship still around my waist, because Matt Spears is about as bad as Casey Williams.  But I’ve already said that, haven’t I?  

Anyway, I was hoping that my next challenger would be just that...a fucking challenge!  Actually, I was expecting my next challenger to either be Steve Ramone, Kain or both, because the title defenses around here have been pretty fucking predictable lately.  I think I was expecting them to book me against Kain just to piss me off because the douchebag comes back from being gone for about nine months, declares his intentions to come after the Internet Championship, and he can’t even fucking win a match now.  SCW Bookers have had a history of giving undeserving assholes title matches, so it wouldn’t have surprised me if they actually gave Kain what he wanted.  

But they went a little different route.  Don’t get me wrong, they still booked me against an asshole who has done nothing to deserve this title shot, but I think they’ve realized that Kain doesn’t deserve shit right now, so they just gave that title shot to someone else.  

Someone by the name of Markus Reeves.

Are you fucking serious?  Markus Reeves?!

So, let me get this straight.  Markus has had, what, three, maybe four matches here in SCW?  His last match was against that Australian rookie, Lettuce...Spinach...Whatever the fuck his name is...and he lost!  Markus fucking lost to that Aussie kid, and what do they give him in return?  

A shot at my title!  

Once again, I don’t fucking understand it.  I understand the guy is one big scary mother fucker, but come on!  If you want someone to have a title shot, at least give them a fucking match to earn that title shot first!  All these random fucking challengers are starting to piss me off, but you know what pisses me off more?

The fact that when these assholes get their title shots, it actually inflates their ego and they think they deserve it.  And not only that but they think they’re actually going to win the damn title!  Nevermind the fact that the champions have been busting their asses...well, MOST of them anyway...and these assholes walk around with an undeserved self-entitlement.  

Fuck off with that shit!

I know Kittie and Synn have been trying to get me to see what they see in this Markus Reeves guy.  Guy is bigger than me, and sure, that’s saying something, but that don’t really mean shit in my eyes.  Casey Williams is bigger than me, too, and look at how much of a “challenge” he is?  For those of you that are too fucking stupid to realize it, he’s not.  So, Markus Reeves really won’t be that much of a difference.

I don’t like to sit back and show any sign of weakness when it comes to these mother fuckers that Christian and Mark put me up against.  Does that mean I underestimate them or take them lightly?  Fuck no.  I walk into every fucking match with the same damn attitude and mindset.  To beat the fucking shit out of the asshole, or assholes, I am up against and walk away with another win.  And sure, sometimes I’ve walked away on the losing end, but that ain’t gonna be the case this time around.  Ain’t gonna happen anytime soon, because I plan to hold on to the Internet Championship for a while.

But I’m sure Markus Reeves is watching this, thinking otherwise.  He’s probably smiling or some shit thinking he actually stands a chance against me, but he really doesn’t.  I’m sure he thinks he’s entitled to a title in SCW, but fuck if that title is MY Internet Championship.  He can fall back in the ranks and go after the Roulette Championship, because the Internet Championship is mine and so far, there ain’t a single person that has proven worthy of holding this title but me.

Not even Steve Ramone, who just so happens to be on color commentary this week.

I can already smell Steve trying to stick his fucking nose in this match, but I say let him fucking try.  Synn and Kittie will be standing right on the outside and Synn will have no fucking problem keeping him the hell back and if he knows what’s good for him, his fucking goons will stay back, too.  I’ve already been ambushed by those pussy bitches once before, and it’ll probably happen again, but the more they get involved, the more they piss me off.  

And if any of them do anything to cost me this damn match, they’re going to wake the fucking beast, and trust me...they don’t fucking want that.

This week, this match is between me and Markus Reeves.  Steve Ramone can keep his ass behind that commentator’s table, making his fucking innuendos and lame ass jokes all he wants, but he’s irrelevant in this one.  I’m not going to allow myself to get distracted by his bullshit, because my sole focus is beating Markus Reeves and walking away with the Internet Championship still around MY waist.  Where it fucking belongs.  Where it’s going to stay for a long, long, LONG time.

Dmitri, Casey Williams and Matt Spears have all failed in recent weeks.  Markus Reeves will fail this Sunday and whenever Steve Ramone gets his chance, he’ll fucking fail, too.  That’s all there is to it.

The Sin of Wrath will STILL be the SCW Internet Champion.

Markus Reeves...See ya Sunday, mother fucker!