Author Topic: One step closer  (Read 989 times)

Offline Devona

• View Profile
    • Devona
One step closer
« on: April 21, 2023, 08:22:56 PM »
The 2023 Unsolved Mysteries Tour had this far been a rousing success where the SCW Universe was concerned. Fans across the world that celebrated the macabre took a heightened interest in the overall tour itself; The mysterious locations of each stop for an edition of the promotion's signature broadcast of Climax Control, as well as what their favorite Superstars and Bombshells found themselves up to during each and every stop.

And the staff and stars of Sin City Wrestling themselves? Many of them took a heightened delight in this tour, if not for the theme itself, then certainly for the unique locations of each stop along. From picturesque Canada to luxurious Barbados and both stops in Scotland of the United Kingdom, the men and women who put their bodies on the line each and every week inside of the six-sided ring, or afforded what amounted to unique and luxurious working vacations. And while some took advantage of these stops and the theme of the tour itself, openly investigating each of the Unsolved Mysteries presented, not all were fans or into the idea of the mysterious nature of this tour. Not to say that they weren't thrill seekers themselves. If they weren't, chances were that they would not be involved in the sport in the first place. They simply weren't what they referred to as "ghost hunters".

However, the difference between the previous four stops and the current one where it was as different as night and day. Before Romania, everyone was for the most part, given the luxury of deciding for themselves whether or not they wanted to investigate or be a part of the weekly Unsolved Mystery. This week however, thanks largely in part to "Hot Stuff" Mark Ward, the men and women of SCW were given little to no choice. They would not just be ‘visiting’ Hoia Forest - long believed to be the most haunted forest in the entire world, but they would literally be staying within the  729 plus acreage as part of a camping excursion! Imagine it! To be staying in what had become known as ‘the Bermuda Triangle of Forests’! One time it was believed that a shepherd had vanished off the face of the earth, along with two hundred sheep. Never to be seen again. A five year old child had also once vanished from within these trees, only to reappear five years later without having aged a day.

Yes indeed, that was where the SCW hierarchy had deigned to send the men and women of SCW! Some were wary while others were outspoken in just how unhappy they were and the so-called risks the top brass were taking with their lives. Whereas others on the rosters, men and women alike - were openly embracing this mysteriously spooky adventure.

Case in point – Devona. The star of this particular promotional work. Ever since signing up for the 2023 Blast From the Past which coincided with the tour, Devona had not let a single opportunity pass her by to explore the unexplainable. Devona toured the Chase Vaults in Barbados and hiked alongside her tag team partner J2H to the summit of Ben Macdui in Scotland – and now here she was. In Hoia Forest. More so, she had taken it upon herself to ensure her tent was as close to The Clearing as allowed. The Clearing reportedly the most haunted area of the forest's entirety. Of course, she didn’t tell J2H that particular fact when their tents were set next to each other. The famed SCW legend never outright showed her a reason to believe he was fearful of the superstitious, but – better safe than sorry!

Of course, not everyone had found themselves camped out beneath the stars, their tents being pelted lightly by the rain that had permeated the Romanian countryside ever since they had arrived. The sky had been overcast for days, the damp and dreary weather coupled with the cool temperatures resulted in a fog that had rolled in only days prior, blanketing the forest floor. For many this added to the misery of this particular stop in the tour, for others it only added to the mystique. No, it was Kim Pain of the Saviors that had been the only one smart enough to use Google maps to discover a cave large enough to set up a comfortable camp while remaining within the boundaries of the forest. Thus, remaining under the provision of Mark Ward’s ruling. The cave was large enough for Kim to set her camp up with plenty of room to spare, and being inside the rocky confines of a cave, she was perhaps the only one lucky enough to have a fire going. A fire that on this day she was only too happy to share.

With Devona.

As she sat by the small campfire, opposite of Kim, Devona curled her knees up against her breasts, wrapping her arms around her bent legs. The two women had, through mutual exchanges on social media, found themselves with quite a lot in common between themselves in regards to their personalities and likes and dislikes - and the admiration for one Sam Winchester from TV’s Supernatural. Kim had even taken her by surprise when she invited her to go into town with her for supplies and the two women had struck up something of an accord between them. Especially over the subject of S’Mores. I mean, seriously! Who goes camping and doesn’t engage in that chocolaty, gooey campfire treat???

“I admit I never really was the girly type.” Devona mused as her chestnut brown eyes soaked in the dancing flames of the fire that Kim carefully kept in check. Cave or not, a fire – even a small one – was asking for trouble when in the center of a forest. Most had been barred by Romanian authorities from lighting even the smallest of fires. Kim had found for herself a loophole when she had found this cave in which to make her stay. Devona continued, “I don’t know if that disappointed my mom or not, but it certainly didn’t upset my daddy. Or my two brothers.”

“You have brothers?” Kim asked, to which Devona chuckled. “Not by blood, but they’re as good as. You may have seen them the one time they came to the arena with me for company.”

“Hold up…” Kim looked up, instinctively withdrawing the metallic S’Mores maker from the flames so as not to burn them. “That really big guy and the pretty one? Those are your brothers?”

“My adopted brothers, so to speak. Yes.” Devona nodded with a smile of pride, a feeling she reflected whenever the subject of ‘her boys’ just so happened to arise. Her eyes then danced with amusement as she pointed out, “And Beauty would appreciate the fact you called him the ‘pretty one’.” A smile that was met with one to match on Kim’s part.

Devona continued, “But I’ve always been the tomboy sort.” Met with a casual “Same” in response from Kim before she went on, “I don’t hardly ever wear much makeup, if ever and I hate dresses. I think I was one of the first to jump at the chance to go camping here.” She chuckled. “Though I bet if Tempest were here, she’d have been happy in a sleeping bag under a tarp stretched out between the trees.”

Kim smirked, “If it wasn’t for my fiance, I certainly would have.”

Devona went on, sharing a bit of herself, “I never played with dolls. I hate those things!” She shuddered with a slight exaggeration. “Creepy things with their staring eyes! As a little girl I preferred playing with Beauty’s wrestling figures. I preferred sports and video games (still do). I was on the cheerleading squad - briefly - in high school but I have to admit … I hated every second of it. It always felt like the girls were trying to compete with the boys during the football games or take the attention away from them.”

“Pretty stupid thing to try to do.” Kim observed. “People go to those games for the football players, not the sideshow attraction. The cheerleaders are just window dressing for the game.”

“It’d have been nice if more of the girls understood that, or accepted it.” Devona shrugged as Kim passed a hot S’Mores over to her grateful hands. “Half of the girls on the squad had convinced themselves they were the stars of the game and would accept nothing less. Those were the attitudes that made me eventually leave the cheerleading team and a couple girls and I tried out for the football team instead.”

“And…?”

“And the coach rejected us before we ever had the chance to try.” Devona answered, blowing onto her sweet treat before taking a tentative bite. She added, “He tried feeding us the line that it was illegal for girls to be on the football team.”

“Bullshit…” Kim muttered, shaking her head with obvious annoyance. “It’s not illegal. It’s just a bunch of misogynistic ass holes not wanting a girl on the team!”

“Oh I know.” Devona agreed. “They thought a girl on the team would upstage the boys, and they’d have to lose sight of winning in favor of **air quotes** protecting us instead.” She scoffed. “Growing up with Beauty and Beast, I knew how to play football, change the oil in a car, go camping… you name it. I wasn’t worried about getting roughed up on a football field but the boys on the team and the school board were a bunch of candy asses.”

“You could have fought it.” Kim helpfully pointed out, to which Devona nodded in agreement, “I could have, but Beauty was on the team at that point and I was more concerned the other players would cause him grief on my behalf. Plus I had just moved in with my grandparents and I thought the issue would cause them more problems than they were prepared to handle.”

“If you don’t mind my asking…” Kim started to say, leaning back on her camping chair, while indulging in a S'Mores of her own. “And don’t be afraid to tell me to mind my own business, but why did you move in with your grandparents?”

It was a sore subject for obvious reasons, and reasons that remained largely unknown by the majority of her peers in SCW, but Kim was the first to truly reach out to her and she felt little reason not to be honest in her answers, and thus opening up a door she had closed years ago. She said, “They were killed in a car crash when I was about fifteen.”

The fire danced off of Kim’s lightly tanned flesh but Devona could see the woman’s face fall slightly and her skin pale ever-so. Kim at first avoided eye contact at the answer save for saying, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

“No, no.” Devona got comfortable on the log she had chosen to sit on rather than the other offered chair. She waved off Kim’s concern or embarrassment and said, “It’s alright, you had no way of knowing. I am the one who brought the topic up, after all. Only stands to reason you might pick up on that and ask.”

Silence then happened to fall between the two women, the crackling of the fire the only sound heard between the pair. It wasn’t a silence of tension or awkwardness, but one in which words simply did not need to be exchanged in order for them to understand one another. Devona then cast a glance back over her shoulder and to the gaping mouth of the cave. The sky had already been overcast but the light gray clouds were slowly beginning to darken and not because of the weather.

Devona turned back to Kim and offered her the best smile she could muster, “I better start heading back. It’s going to be dark soon and I’d just as soon not try climbing down the cliff side in the dark.”

“Smart.” Kim offered as both women stood up from where they had been seated. Devona motioned with a hand toward the pot that had the remnants of their shared dinner in it, a little concoction Devona had informed Kim was called ‘camper’s stew’.

Devona said, “Looks like there’s enough left for one more bowl. Do you mind if I…?”

“You’re still hungry after all that and S’Mores on top of it?” Kim asked with a skeptical brow.

Devona laughed, answering, “God, no! I was going to dish out the last of it and bring it to James. He said something about going to sleep hungry and …?”

“And you expect the man to eat it?” Kim asked, even more skeptical than before. “Granted I don’t know him but he doesn’t seem the ‘stew type’.”

“No,” Devona agreed as she tilted the pot over to spoon the stew mixture of canned beef, veggies and biscuit dough into an empty Tupperware container they had bought in town. “He’s more the Lobster thermidor, Kobe steak, caviar truffle sort.” She snapped the lid on and stood upright, “But… you know…”

Kim just shook her head, offering her opinion. “I think you’re wasting your time.” She said outright. “But I can respect you for not wanting someone to go to sleep hungry.”

Devona then said as she reached for the pot, “I’ll take this to the river in the morning…”

“Leave it.” Kim interrupted. “I’ll take care of it.” When it seemed Devona might object, Kim spoke up, “You bought the stuff and made the dinner. Least I can do is clean the pot.”

Devona smiled at that and nodded, “Thank you Kim, for everything.”

Kim frowned, but with the wisp of a smile on her own face. “I didn’t do anything.”

“You did more than you realize.” Devona corrected her. “It was just nice getting to hang out with someone for change that actually wanted to.” And bidding Kim Pain a good rest of her night, Devona carefully exited the cave, her backpack strapped to her back and the bowl of stew tucked carefully in her hands. Luckily enough there was a slight path that led from the cave to the forest grounds below, otherwise with the rainfall the slightest step down the rocky outcrop would be treacherous at best. Still, Devona was careful and took her time, and could feel the eyes of Kim pain watching her descent, making certain that she made it to the forest floor safely.

And she did, as near thirty minutes later Devona set foot into the Clearing, the epicenter of the Forests’s hauntings – supposedly. There were only a few tents here as opposed to the rest of the forest. Few would want to stay in the area where there were more reported hauntings and disappearances than anywhere else within the trees. Devona just felt life itself was a risk so… why not? But she walked past her simple tent and to the one next to it, a virtual palace by comparison to any other. Her tag team partner, J2H, was perhaps the most vocal and opposed to this entire camping thing and was not about to settle for anything but the best. And even as far as camping was concerned, this was about the best as even he could muster.

It was something straight out of Harry Potter as far as she was concerned. She approached the tent but hesitated. All was quiet inside as far as she could tell. No sound emanated from inside the luxury glamping tent, as the style was known as. She knew he was tired, he looked exhausted when they had parted ways, but that could have just been because of everything he was going through, being out in the wild as opposed to somewhere more suited to the lifestyle he was accustomed to.

She had to admit she felt a touch of guilt for the way she had been teasing him and encouraging him to do things he didn’t want to do, or was uncomfortable in doing. But she wanted something between them as tag team partners if they had any hope of making it to London and the finals. More so, she had a heart as big as the state of Louisiana and hated the idea of him going to bed hungry, if he indeed did so. Kim was right, the chances were a million to one with his palate that he would accept the stew, let alone eat it. But, it never hurt to try and he could sacrifice a little sleep if it meant putting something in his belly.

“James?” Devona said just loud enough that she hoped that she might be heard in the event her tag partner was a light sleeper. She rapped her fingers against the nylon surface. “James?” She then took note the zipper for the tent flaps were not up which was odd, but he might have passed out due to exhaustion without having done so.

She parted the flaps for a peek, but frowned when she saw his bed empty. No lights, it didn’t even look as if the bed had been slept in for very long before he had gotten up. Maybe he went to go get something to eat after all? Still, she hated to waste so she carefully and quickly stepped inside. She didn’t want him returning to find her in his tent, so she moved quickly and set the bowl down on the bedside stand and then turned and hurried back outside. She gave the tent one last look before she headed for her own, ready to call it a night…

Now see, this is the part where I tell you things would make a lot more sense had you read the RP from J2H first. Then all would be explained. But just in case you didn't, allow me to rectify that gross error in judgment for you!

“I was right.”

The weather had all but cleared up, save for the gloomy skies that could barely be seen from the heart of the Hoia Forest. The trees were just beginning to bud leaves, giving them an air of life as opposed to the death gnarls of the limbs intertwining amongst the neighboring monoliths. Like withered fingers clasped together in an unholy embrace. The rain had stopped, and the damp moisture of the rainwater falling from the limbs and leaves overhead gave off the impression that the weather was still wet. There were no clear, blue skies for now as the gray clouds over the top of the trees had blown together with the winds, covering the sky and preventing the sun from breaking through.

Devona, one-half of the Semi-Finalist team in the 2023 Blast From the Past alongside J2H, stood in the thick of the forest, a purple rain jacket on with the hood drawn up.

“I was right about you Ariana. I told everyone that I knew you’d bring it when we stepped inside of the ring against each other this past week. I told everyone that I had watched you begin your journey from the ground up, and I knew that you were destined to become something  special. I know how bad you feel about not making it to the Semi-Finals of this tournament, but I can’t lie and say that I’m not glad that J2H and I have advanced in your place. I can’t deny the fact that it felt good getting the win in our tournament match, not because I was looking to put you down or shut you up because you never did or said anything that warranted being shut up for. More so, I did it for myself, and for J2H. When he got the win in our opening round match, one would have thought that he did all the work and got us to the Quarter-Finals all on his own merit. Like I contributed nothing between us.He even said as much on twitter and got the bottled blonde bimbo t basically kiss up and agree with everything he said. So I’m thinking that maybe, just maybe, when you and I hit that ring, all of that snotty, nose stuck in the air derision that I was subjected to just made me fight all the harder to get the win myself. That way, J2H would have no excuses. He couldn’t say he got us to the Semi-Finals, he couldn’t say that he did all the work.”

She leaned against a tree and tapped a forefinger to the clavicle just above her breastbone.

“This time, it was me. Not all of me, because whether he can admit it or not, I can. I can admit that we’re a team and while he did his part in fending off your partner, I fulfilled my own obligation to secure the win for us, getting us one step closer to London. Getting us one step closer to the Finals at Into the Void XII. No hard feelings, hm? Win or lose, I would have shook your hand either way. But seeing as how we have advanced to the Semis here in Romania, this brings me to the first legit excitement I felt since this tournament started. And not just because of who we’re up against as a team, but more so who J2H is up against on the opposite side.”

“Godly” Ken Davison! Member of the Saviors. Former World Heavyweight Champion. Former Internet Champion. And just a man that I hold so much respect for going into this match! Ken is just one of the best athletes on the roster right now, and to get the chance to see him test his mettle against my partner, who just so happens to be the best of all time? That is just going to be a treat for me and for the entire world to see! I would almost - almost - be happy to stand back and watch those two from the start of the match to the finish, and just be a spectator, a fan. But this is a team event and a team effort, and despite what my partner says, we are a team. So while I am more than confident that J2H can handle the Godly One, that leaves me with facing another champion in her own right.”

Devona pushes herself away from the tree and she begins to take a casual stroll along the trees.

“Courtney Pierce. The 2018 Blast From the Past Champion alongside my Go Gym buddy, Fenris. Back in `18, Courtney and Fenris shocked the entire world because they were two rookies, fresh out of their respective wrestling academies - Fenris the GO Gym and Courtney, Jet City. Two rookies in not only their first time teaming with one another, but their first time wrestling - PERIOD! And what happened?”

Devona paused to share a look with the camera. She nodded.

“That’s right. The rookies won the entire thing. A young man and young woman came from out of nowhere to defeat every single veteran and rookie alike to become the 2018 Champions. And the best part of the entire thing was the respect that you two gave to one another. Neither of you overshadowed the other. Admittedly that happened after the tournament. But during? Courtney did her part to advance her team, as did Fenris. Both of you were responsible in ushering in a new generation of success to SCW, putting all eyes on you both as the future of this business! Fenris did not fail to live up to the hype, as he quickly won the World title in his first opportunity and went unbeaten for over nine months! My question is …”

She frowned, shrugging her shoulders.

“What happened to you,  Courtney? I understand that you got injured right after and were unable to fulfill your obligations or receive your guaranteed World title match, but honey… that was five years ago! I admit I didn’t keep as up to date as maybe I should have, but I was hoping you would have been back within the year or so and you’d take your rightful place at the top of the Bombshell division. Instead you … just disappeared. It was like you vanished from SCW like people had long been rumored vanishing from this very forest that we all find ourselves in. And do you know something? It was disheartening. Because as much as we celebrated when Fenris fulfilled his destiny to win the World title and he put on such airs for all those months afterwards, so many people, myself included, were hoping to see you do the same thing. Because Court, you showed throughout that entire tournament that you could have done just that. You could have upended whoever the champion was at the time, just like your partner did.”

“Unfortunately, injuries are an unfortunate part of this business. And while I’ve been lucky enough to not suffer anything more serious than a bruised rib or a concussion, I sat back and saw my fair share cost someone their career before they were ready to call it quits, or even have a chance for it to begin! Like you, chere. I had such hopes at the time that after a year, maybe a two of you convalescing, that you’d return and take what was rightfully yours because…”

She shrugged.

“Why not? You were a 2018 Champion. Even if you didn’t get your title shot at Summer XXXTreme, you were still contractually promised a title opportunity. But one year turned into two, and two turned into…”

She sighed.

“Well, you get the picture. You pretty much fell off the face of the earth, and after what happened to … after Kris left us, I wasn’t certain we would ever see a member of Jet City in a ring again. But every member of your gym that steps inside of the ring now is doing so in his honor, and I just know that he is watching you with pride. I even watched your first promo back, wondering why you should have to take part in another tournament, and you are right. You shouldn’t have to participate again, only to win again and receive another promised title shot. You won once, but didn’t get your title match. Were it up to me, and it’s not, you’d be able to step back into the ring right here, right now, with whoever the champion is and challenge for that belt! But look at you…”

She smiled, a soft chuckle escaping her lips.

“Rather than do just that, you returned to SCW for this tournament so that you could work your way back from the bottom up. You didn’t want to be handed anything. You wanted to win the entire thing, repeating what only two people have already accomplished in being two-time Blast From the Past Champions. Two names; Mark Cross, and Evie Jordan. In ten years of SCW making history with this event, those are the only two who won the whole thing two times. And now, here you are. Ready to add your name to that tally!”

She then lifted her shoulders, her arms out with her bottom lip jetted out slightly.

“Only problem is, this is where your road to London ends. You want to be a two-time champion, but this will be as far as you get. Because while I made it to the finals the year after your victory with Alex Jones right there beside me, I was never able to go the entire way. This year is going to be my year. This year, I have J2H as my partner, the best of the best. We can’t lose Courtney. We won’t! And while I know you and I are going to give everyone a show once that bell rings, I think that it’s time you put some thought into what I said about petitioning for the title shot that you already won. Because this is the year J2H and I win our first tournament, and who knows? Maybe down the road, you and I will get the chance to meet in the ring again...”

She turned to the camera with a coy wink.

“... With the gold on the line.”

Hands tucked into the pockets of her skinny jeans, Devona then turned her back to the camera and walked off, vanishing into the fog….
>

“Laissez les bon temps rouler.”</color>