Author Topic: Road to Recovery  (Read 823 times)

Offline Wyatt Peterson

• View Profile
Road to Recovery
« on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
 The following is unedited footage that was taken by an SCW camera during Wyatt Peterson’s recovery from a fractured clavicle.

<hr width=50%>

The footage starts in the hallway of a hotel. It’s a fairly basic hotel hallway. The eggshell colored walls, extending from the matching ceiling all the way down to the burgundy carpet, are only broken up by a burgundy colored door every twenty feet. The camera stops at one of the doors to the right and turns to face it. Room 1423 is what it says on the plaque on the door. An arm reaches out from behind the camera and knocks on the door. Movement can be heard from within the hotel room. After a couple of moments, the door opens and “Big Country” Wyatt Peterson fills in the doorway with his large frame. Wyatt is wearing nothing but blue jeans. His chiseled chest is partially hidden by his arm hanging in a sling. Wyatt’s usual smile is nowhere to be found.

Cameraman: Mister Peterson? I was sent by Mister Underwood to document your recovery.

Wyatt shows no change in emotion as he turns back into his hotel room, waving the cameraman inside. Wyatt sits down in a chair next to a small bistro table. The cameraman sits down in the chair on the opposite side of the table. There is an awkward silence as Wyatt just stares at the floor. The cameraman doesn’t seem to know how to start. Wyatt breaks the silence.

Wyatt: So, yer gonna be around fer a while?

Cameraman: Yes, sir. I’ve been told to stick with you until you return to SCW.

Wyatt: Well, ah guess ah should probably know yer name then.

Cameraman: It’s Stan.

Wyatt: Well, Stan, ah hope ya aren’t expectin’ much. Ah really don’t think ah’m gonna be very fun tah follow. Ah feel so weak an’ vulnerable right now. All ah wanna do is disappear fer a while.

Stan: How long did the doctor say it would take to heal?

Wyatt: Six tah eight weeks.

Wyatt shakes his head as he stares at the floor.

Wyatt: This has jus’ been a bad week. Ah lost mah tag title an’ broke mah shoulder. I ain’t ever broke a bone in mah life. Ah can’t even move mah arm without pain shootin’ through mah arm an’ neck. Ah can’t help but think that ah won’t be able tah get back into the ring again.

Stan: I’m sure it’s not that bad. I’ve heard that people who break their bones are actually stronger once they heal.

Wyatt: Ya know? That’s what the doctor said, too. Ah just don’ see how that’s possible.

Stan: Look, what’s done is done. You can’t go back and stop the injury from happening.

Wyatt waves his good arm in frustration.

Wyatt: Ah know! Ah know! Don’t make me wish ah could any less. It’s like, ah can see it replayin’ in mah head over an’ over. Ah see Casey puttin’ me on his shoulder and tossin’ me into the ring post.

Wyatt shakes his head and turns to face Stan, showing a bit of emotion for the first time.

Wyatt: If only ah’d tried a little harder, ah coulda wiggled down an’ pushed him into the post instead.

Wyatt picks up a pack of Marlboro cigarettes from the table. He pulls one out and sticks it between his lips before putting the pack back down. Wyatt then picks up a red BIC lighter and lights the cigarette. He puts the lighter back onto the table and takes a drag from the cigarette. After a moment, Wyatt breaths out, looking more relaxed.

Stan: Go ahead. I don’t mind.

Wyatt looks at Stan.

Wyatt: What was that?

Stan: Oh, nothing. I never took you for much of a smoker.

Wyatt: That’s ‘cuz ah never was one. Ah jus’ started.

Stan: Oh.

Wyatt stares at the burning tip of the cigarette.

Wyatt: Ah tried smokin’ once when ah was about twelve. Mah maw caught me.

A small smile spreads on Wyatt’s face.

Wyatt: Ah begged her not tah tell mah Paw, but it was no use. She always told 'im.

Wyatt takes another drag from the cigarette.

Wyatt: Mah Paw made me smoke a whole pack o’ cigarettes back tah back ‘til the whole pack was gone. Ah never even wanted tah smoke again after that, but ah figured that ah’d give it another shot. Ah’ve got nothing better tah do for the next couple o’ months.

<hr width=50%>

The footage starts again inside of, what appears to be, the same hotel room. Wyatt is sitting atop the floral printed bedding with his back against the headboard. His laptop is sitting on his lap as he watches the latest Climax Control on scwrestling.net. He looks disappointed.

Wyatt: Ah woulda been there in San Francisco with all of ‘em if it weren’t for this damn shoulder.

We are only one week removed from Wyatt’s injury at the hands of Casey Williams. Wyatt watches as Jared Black and “Primetime” Matthew Kennedy get a victory over Old Skool and Johnny Brown. Once the ring clears out, Wyatt peaks up as his mentor and manager, Tom Dudely, comes out to the ring.

Wyatt: What the hell? He didn’t tell me he was gonna be there

<hr width=50%>

Tom: I’ve been waiting all week to be able to get back here to Climax Control so I could get something off of my chest. I want the man who injured Wyatt to bring his ass out here. Casey Williams! I have a bone to pick with you.

Tom and the crowd wait in anticipation until "Crazy Train" by Bullet for My Valentine starts to blast throughout the arena. Casey has the SCW Tag Team Title belt hanging over his shoulder as he walks down to the ring with a confident look on his face. He climbs into the ring and faces Tom.

Tom: Casey, I always thought that you were a man of dignity. I mean, I know that you would do anything to win a match, but attacking a man after the fact? I thought that you were better than that. You seriously injured Wyatt for no good reason. If you have a reason, I’d love to hear it.

Casey: You know that Wyatt and I have been kinda going back and forth when SCW first opened, trying to prove who was the better big man, and I decided to prove once again that I am the better big man. Does it really matter that his team was eliminated? Made my statement that much more meaningful.

Tom: No, it just makes you even more of an @$$hole!

The crowd burst into cheers.

Tom: Look, I don’t really give a damn why you did it. The fact of the matter is that Wyatt needs to be avenged.

Casey: What are you going to do? Come outta retirement to “teach me a lesson”, little man?

Casey looks skeptical as a slight grin starts to creep up on the corners of Tom’s mouth.

Tom: Actually, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

The crowd bursts into cheers at Tom Dudely returning to face Casey Williams. Casey looks taken aback by the announcement.

Tom: What do you say to that?

Casey quickly shakes off the shock from Tom’s announcement.

Casey: I say bring it on, you son of a bitch. There is a hospital bed next to Wyatt's with your name written all over it. I will make sure you regretted the day you decided to pull a Brett Favre and come out of retirement to try to be as good as you used to be like Farve did when he came back.

Tom just smiles and nods.

Tom: I’m sure Wyatt will be happy to see you when you get there.

Tom drops his microphone. As he walks past Casey, Tom attempts to shoulder check him, but Casey doesn’t budge. Tom regains his composure and walks out of the ring. Casey smiles as he watches Tom rub his shoulder on his way up the ramp. After Tom disappears, Casey’s music starts to play and Casey makes his way backstage.

<hr width=50%>

As the scene ends, Wyatt is wiping away a tear.

Wyatt: Ya see? That’s a true friend. Tom didn’ hafta go an' confront Casey, but he did it anyway. Jus' fer me.

Stan: Aren’t you scared for him to get in the ring with Casey though? Casey’s huge and Tom’s been out of the game for a while.

Wyatt shakes his head.

Wyatt: Nah. Casey’s just a punk who gets lucky once in a while. Tom knows the ring better than anyone ah’ve ever met. Casey’s got no chance against someone like Tom.

Stan: But Casey’s the one who put you out of commission. Why not Tom?

Wyatt: Ah really don’t think Casey would intentionally hurt Tom. Ah mean, he might, but ah don’t think he will. Everyone’s a fan of Tom. He’s been around for so long an’ he always goes outta his way tah make the fans an’ everyone else go home happy. Always has been a good guy. Always will be a good guy.

The scene fades out.

<hr width=50%>

The scene opens outdoors at Wyatt’s childhood home. The morning sun is casting long shadows onto wraparound porch where Wyatt is standing, leaning on the white-washed railing with a coffee mug in his hand. He takes a sip of the steamy liquid and lets out a very audible “ahh”.

Stan: What? No cigarette this morning?

Wyatt looks towards the house quickly to see if anyone was there.

Wyatt: Keep yer voice down with that crap. T’would kill mah Maw’s heart if she heard that ah were smokin’.  

Wyatt nervously looks back at the house one more time before continuing.

Wyatt: Anyway, ah decided tah give ‘em up. Ah shoulda never started in the first place.

Wyatt takes another sip from his cup.

Wyatt: Ah think ah was just doin’ it because ah was depressed. Now that ah’m finally back home, it’s time tah start fresh. Ya know what ah mean?

Stan: Yeah.

The men stare off into the distance, taking in the beauty of the miles of open land. Stan is the one to break the silence.

Stan: Have you gotten around to calling Tom yet?

Wyatt: Not yet. What time do ya think it is over there in Europe?

Stan: I don’t know. It’s gotta be sometime in the afternoon though.

Wyatt: Then ah’m gonna call him right now. Pardon me.

Wyatt pulls his cell phone out of the pocket of his jeans as he turns away from Stan and his camera. After punching a few numbers into the keypad, Wyatt is soon being connected to Tom. He pushes another button to turn on the speakerphone so Stancan listen in.

Tom (groggily): Hello?

A smile spreads over Wyatt’s face.

Wyatt: Howdy, Tom!

Tom: Shit, Wyatt. What time is it?

Wyatt: Ah don’t know about over there in Amsterdam, but out here in Texas it’s a little after eight in the mornin’.

There’s a moment of silence as Tom figures out the time difference.

Tom: Fuck! I’m gonna miss my flight.

Wyatt: Don’ tell me you were still sleepin’? It’s gotta be the middle of the afternoon over there right now.

Tom: A little after three if I’m not mistaken. Guess I celebrated a little too hard last night.

Wyatt: Well, ya had every right to celebrate. Ya got back into the ring fer the first time in three years and beat the biggest that SCW has tah offer.

Tom: It felt really good to get the win after all of those years away. Afterwards, Mark took me out for some drinks among other things. The last thing I remember was Mark ordering a bottle of Absinth. I don’t remember if we did anything after that. Hell, I don’t even remember getting back to my room.

Wyatt throws his head back and lets out a loud guffaw.

Tom: It was definitely the hardest I’ve partied in a long time. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again for a while.

Wyatt: Don’t hold back. You’re in Europe. Ya gotta do everything that ya can’t do over here. What’s yer next stop?

Tom: I’m supposed to catch a plane to Paris pretty soon. It’s supposed to leave at four thirty.

Wyatt: Well then, ya better git yer ass outta there or you’ll miss yer plane.

Tom: I’m tryin’. Wyatt, I’m gonna let you go. Can I call you back later?

Wyatt: O’ course! You jus’ go catch yer plane.

Tom: Thanks buddy. I’ll talk to you later.

Wyatt: Bye.

Wyatt pushes a button to end the call.

Wyatt: He really is a great guy.

The scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

Several Weeks Later

The scene opens in a hallway where Stan is still documenting Wyatt’s recovery. They are following a moderately muscular man who is wearing jogging pants and a grey t-shirt. The man opens a door and they all walk into a room that looks like a mix between a doctor’s office and a gym. There is a treadmill and a bicycle along one wall, another wall has free weights and other random exercise equipment. A third wall is covered in posters that highlight different muscles and the exercises that work them. The final wall is made completely of glass and reveals that the room is high above the streets of downtown Dallas.  The door clicks shut behind them.  

Physical Therapist: Alright Wyatt, now that your shoulder is healed, we need to start rebuilding the muscles around it. Today, I want to start slow with some free weights and maybe some resistance bands. How does that sound?

Wyatt: That sounds great tah me. Ah wanna get this done so ah can get back tah the ring.

PT: Well, I don’t want you to get your hopes up. Rehab is a slow process.  After two weeks you’ll be seeing your regular doctor again to be reevaluated.

The physical therapist starts walking towards the free weights. Wyatt follows behind. The physical therapist grabs one of the dumbbells off of the rack.

PT: So, I want you to grab one of the dumbbells. Not too heavy, though.

Wyatt does as he’s told, grabbing a mid-sized barbell.

PT: Okay. Here’s what I want you to do.

The physical trainer does the actions as he speaks.

PT: First, raise your arm until it is straight out in front of you. Then, slowly lower it back to the starting position. Let’s start with twenty reps and see how you’re feeling.

Wyatt: Okay.

The physical therapist counts along as Wyatt completes the set.

PT: Great job! How’s your shoulder?

Wyatt: Feels fine tah me.

PT: Great! Now, I want you to continue with the dumbbell, but this time, lift your arm out to your side until it is straight out.

Wyatt: That’s easy!

Wyatt starts lifting his arm to the side and bringing it back down as a brisk pace.

PT: Slow down. We don’t want you to reinjure yourself.

Wyatt: But ah feel fine.

PT: I understand, but if you push yourself too much then you’ll never properly heal.

Wyatt: Oh, I ain’t a heel.

The physical trainer looks at Wyatt with a baffled look. Wyatt smiles at his joke and waves it off.

Wyatt: Nevermind, not yer type o’ humor.

Wyatt goes on finishing his reps, slower this time. Wyatt continues to go through various exercises for the next forty-five minutes. He completes each one with ease. Once they finish, the physical therapist hands Wyatt a towel. Wyatt, though not covered in sweat, takes the towel and starts wiping his forehead.

PT: So the plan is for us to increase intensity every day until you’re back to one hundred percent. If you show good progress I don’t see why you shouldn’t be cleared to go back to work in a couple of weeks.

Wyatt: That’s great! Ah appreciate yer help. Ah guess ah’ll see ya tomorrow.

The physical trainer nods in confirmation.

Wyatt: Let’s git outta here, Stan.

Wyatt and Stan start walking towards the door. Wyatt reaches out and opens the door as the scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

The scene opens in the waiting room at a doctor’s office. It’s a fairly standard setup. There are a few chairs, a few fake plants, and a receptionist who really doesn’t give a damn about anything but text messaging her latest boyfriend. The door to the back to the exam areas opens and Wyatt Peterson emerges with a huge smile on his face.

Wyatt: Ah’m cleared!

Stan reaches out a hand from behind the camera. Wyatt takes it in his and shakes it excitedly.

Stan: Congratulations!

Wyatt turns to the receptionist.

Wyatt: No more appointments fer me. Ah’m done with this injury crap.

The receptionist absentmindedly nods as she continues to fiddle with her cell phone.

Wyatt: Oh! Ah’ve gotta call Christian!

Wyatt fumbles around trying to pull his phone out of his pocket and drops it in his excitement. He picks it up and after a few keystrokes is patched through to SCW Co-Owner Christian Underwood.

Wyatt: Mr. Underwood? This is Wyatt Peterson.

Wyatt pauses as Christian speaks.

Wyatt: Actually, sir, that’s what ah was callin’ ‘bout. Ah jus’ got done seein’ the doctor an’ he was tellin’ me that, well, ah’m cleared tah return tah the ring.

Christian’s voice can be heard even louder and more excited.

Wyatt: Yessir, ah’d love tah be able tah be on Climax Control this weekend.

Christian says something indistinct.

Wyatt: Yessir, ah’ll catch the next plane tah Reno.

Christian speaks.

Wyatt: Thank ya, sir. Ah’ll see ya Sunday.

Christian says something else and Wyatt hangs up his phone. He turns to the camera.

Wyatt: Hey Stan, hope you’re ready tah head back tah work.

Stan: As much as I’ve enjoyed following you for the last couple of months, I can’t wait to get back to the hustle and bustle of city life.

Wyatt: Not me. Ah’ve loved bein’ able tah relax at home. What ah am lookin’ forward tah is getting’ mah hands on Casey Williams fer mahself.

Receptionist: Excuse me!

Wyatt and Stan are startled at the sudden interruption. They turn around see the receptionist looking more than mildly annoyed.

Receptionist: I’m going to have to ask you to leave. I need to lock up.

Wyatt: Ah’m terribly sorry, ma’am.

Wyatt turns back to Stan.

Wyatt: Let’s get outta here.

The two men walk out of the office laughing as the scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

The scene opens backstage at SCW Climax Control. We are just inside of the entrance to the ring area where Wyatt Peterson is watching Matt Barnes and Cameron Matthews wrestle in the show’s opener. Stan is still following Wyatt, documenting his recovery.

Wyatt: I’m gettin’ kinda nervous. Ah always get nervous before goin’ out there in front of the crowd. Once ah get out there though it all disappears. Have ya ever been in front of a crowd before?

Stan: No way. I prefer to stay behind the camera.

Wyatt: Well, yer missin’ out. When ya get out in front of the crowd…

Wyatt shakes his head.

Wyatt: There ain’t no words that could describe it. It’s just amazin’.

Wyatt sneaks a peak out to the ring.

Wyatt: Almost time.

Stan: Once you go through the curtain, that’s it for me and you. Things will go back to normal.

Wyatt: Nah. The last couple of months we’ve been able tah form a friendship. In mah opinion, that ain’t gonna change. Ah’ll still see ya around.

The ring bell sounds from the arena drawing Wyatt’s attention. Wyatt is startled as Matthew Kennedy and Jason Burnside come from behind him and go through the curtain towards the ring. After a moment, Matt Barnes makes his way backstage. He walks past Wyatt with a bit of a sinister smile on his face. After Burnside and Kennedy finish their brutal attack on Cameron Matthews, they make their way back to the back. They come through the curtain where they give Wyatt and Stan a bit of a dirty look before walking off down the hall deep in conversation.

Wyatt: What a couple o' assholes.

Stan: You can say that again.

After a few more moments, Cameron Matthews is carried to the back on a stretcher.

Wyatt: That poor boy. He’s gonna hafta toughen up if he’s gonna make it.

“Goodtime” by Alan Jackson starts to play in the arena. The crowd immediately bursts into cheers. Wyatt immediately smiles.

Wyatt: That’s mah cue. Wish me luck!

Without waiting on a reply, Wyatt pushes the curtain to the side and bursts out which causes the crowd to cheer even louder.

Stan: Good luck…

The see what happens after this, you’ll have to watch the May 20th Climax Control again. As for us, this is a wrap. The scene fades.

user posted image

SCW Record:
Individual: 3/2/1
Tag Team: 8/8/0
Cumulative Record: 11/10/1

1x SCW Tag Team Champion (w/ Sean Williams)