Author Topic: House Hunting  (Read 395 times)

Offline Simon Jones

• View Profile
House Hunting
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
 Tuesday 7th January

The scene opens to show Simon Jones in the foreground of the shot, sat on a three-seater sofa; Simon, who is wearing navy blue jeans and a plain grey sweater, is sat on the far right of the sofa - perched on his lap, is a laptop. Visible behind Simon, in the background of the shot, is a rectangular table and two chairs, and beyond that is a kitchen area; three doors can also be seen, one on the left-hand side wall of the room, and two along the right-hand side wall.

The only audible sound is that of Simon pressing buttons on the laptop; a matter of seconds later, the door that is to the left of the shot swings open, and into the room walks Jason O'Neil, who is wearing pale blue jeans, a black coat, and his stingy brim leather fedora. Jason shuts the door behind him, and then walks over to join Simon, taking the seat on the far left of the sofa; with Simon's focus remaining on the laptop, Jason unzips his coat, then turns to look at Simon, and is the first of the pair to speak.

Jason: 'Alright, Simon? Where are Jacqui and the baby?'

Simon: 'They're both in the bedroom - and they're both asleep, as far as I'm aware.'

Jason: 'What are you up to, then?'

Simon turns his attention away from the laptop, to look at Jason.

Simon: 'I've been looking for somewhere to live; now that Jacqui is out of the hospital, I thought I'd better get on with searching for a new home for us - we can't keep living like this.'

Jason responds in mock stern tone of voice.

Jason: 'And what's wrong with my apartment?'

Simon: 'There's a distinct lack of space.'

Jason: 'I think it's intimate.'

Simon: 'Oh, when you bring a bird back here, I'm sure it can get very intimate, but three adults and a newborn baby sharing a one bedroom apartment? There's intimate, and then there's living on top of one another - our living situation is definitely nearer to the latter.'

Jason: 'Okay, I accept your argument. Besides, I know that you had planned to leave Halifax anyway, once the lease on the house you were renting expired - Casey Williams committing arson merely expedited the process.'

At the mention of the name of "The Freight Train of Pain," Simon clenches his right hand, forming a fist.

Jason: 'What is it now, twenty-six days until you can get your hands on him?'

Simon: 'Yep. And oh how I'm looking forward to it - regardless of his size advantage, Casey is going to be in for one of the most challenging fights of his career. Because after what he's put me through, that's what it's going to be: a fight. But before that, there's the pressing matter of my match against Goth this weekend - that's what I have to concentrate on this week; Casey can wait, for now.'

Simon relaxes his hand.

Jason: 'I know you - as much as your match against Casey Williams at My Bloody Valentine is looming on the horizon, and as much as you're rubbing your hands in anticipation of that match, I know that you're capable of putting that to one side for the time being, to focus on the bigger picture. Once My Bloody Valentine has been and gone, who knows what the following months will bring? If you pick up a win over Goth on Sunday, a shot at the Heavyweight Championship may well lie in store for you.'

Simon: 'I'm well aware of that, which is why I'm determined not to slip up against Goth; after failing to beat Giani Di Luca six and a half weeks ago, if I harbour any hopes of regaining the heavyweight title - which I do - then it's vitally important that I beat Goth - the former champion - not only to keep myself in contention for the title, but also to give me the confidence and belief that, should I be given another one-on-one match with Di Luca, the result could be different second time around.'

Jason: 'One thing I can say for certain, is that you won't make the mistake of looking upon Goth as being beneath you, like Kevin Carter did - I know you'll show him the respect that he deserves, and not underestimate him.'

Simon: 'How can anyone possibly underestimate the only male triple crown winner in SCW history?'

Jason shrugs his shoulders.

Jason: 'You'd think not, but, despite what he has achieved, I'm sure some of Goth's opponents are so arrogant that they still fall into that trap. You, on the other hand, I know that if you do come unstuck against Goth, it won't be for that reason - not that I'm expecting you to lose on Sunday, you understand; I'm fully confident that you'll defeat Goth.'

Simon: 'Thanks. Speaking of Kevin Carter, do you remember how Goth made a point of reminding Carter that he had beaten him previously, in a tag team match?

Jason nods his head.

Jason: 'Yes, something that Carter dismissed as being irrelevant.'

Simon: 'Well, perhaps I should remind Goth of the outcome of the mixed tag team match that he and I were involved in, back in September - the only previous match in which we have been opponents.'

Jason: 'Perhaps you should.'

Jason glances over his left shoulder, before looking back to Simon.

Jason: 'So, have you decided where you want to move to, then? I know that you had thought about San Diego as a possible destination.'

Simon: 'That's correct. When I originally had the idea of moving to San Diego, that was based purely on the fact that I've won all three of the matches that I've had in San Diego, during my time in SCW, most notably my debut in the open invitational gauntlet battle royal, and the subsequent heavyweight title match against Jordan Williams. And now that I've actually given it some proper thought, using my head rather than my heart, San Diego is still under consideration - even if Amy Marshall is trying to dissuade me.'

Jason: 'What other locations are you considering?'

Simon: 'Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County and San Francisco; Vegas for obvious reasons, and the other three because, like San Diego, they've all got good transport links, which will make it easy for me to travel to wherever SCW stage their shows.'

Jason: 'How are you going to narrow it down?'

Simon: 'Based on what's available to rent in each of those places, that would be suitable for myself, Jacqui and our daughter to live in; I've found a few candidates, so now I just need to whittle them down - the cost may prove to be the deciding factor.'

Jason: 'Well, don't let me distract you from your search for a new home - you get that done, and then we'll set about planning how you're going to defeat Goth.'

With his left hand, Jason motions towards the laptop; Simon smiles, in response.

Simon: 'Okay.'

Simon turns his attention back to the laptop, and the sound of him pressing keys can again be heard. Jason turns away from Simon, and sits staring straight ahead; he fidgets, restlessly, and then glances around the room, before looking towards Simon again.

Jason: 'Hey, speaking of your daughter, have you chosen a name yet?'

Simon: 'Matilda; it was Jacqui's choice.'

Jason: 'You didn't have any input?'

Simon: 'Jacqui was the one that did all the hard work, carrying the child for nine months, and then giving birth to it - after that, letting her pick the name is the least that I can do; I will add, though, that I intend to mostly refer to my daughter as Matty, rather than her given name.'

Jason: 'Does Jacqui know about that?'

Simon turns to look at Jason.

Simon: 'Not yet.'

Simon winks, before again turning back to the laptop; Jason looks away from Simon, and crosses his arms. The pair sit in silence for a few moments, until Simon speaks again.

Simon: 'Right, I think I've done it - just about: having pored over all of the properties that are available to rent in the five places that I named, I've eliminated all but two, both of which are in Vegas, both advertised by the same company, and both within my price range.'

Jason: 'Are you going to arrange some viewings, then?'

Simon: 'Yes, and the sooner the better - I'll put a call in now; all being well, Jacqui and I can get a flight to Vegas on Friday, view the two properties, settle on one of them, sign the lease, spend two nights in Vegas, and then travel to Reno on Sunday, for Climax Control.'

Jason: 'That works - it'll still leave me with another couple of days to put you through your paces, and help your prepare for Goth.'

Simon turns his head to look at Jason.

Simon: 'If Jacqui comes with me, it would be nice to have her backstage at a show again - it's been too long; hopefully I won't then let her down, by losing to Goth.'

Jason: 'If Jacqui is going to be there on Sunday, to watch you compete in person, then I think it's even more likely that you'll be successful against Goth - she always helps provide you with extra motivation.'

Simon nods his head in agreement.

Simon: 'That she does.'

Jason frowns.

Jason: 'If you and Jacqui are both going to go to Nevada, what are you going to do with Matty - are you going to leave her here?'

Simon: 'We'll take her with us, of course - who would we leave her with?'

Jason: 'I could look after her.'

Simon chuckles and shakes his head.

Simon: 'You? Jase, you can barely look after yourself, never mind a newborn baby.'

As Simon laughs to himself again, the scene fades to black.

Friday 10th January

The scene opens to show Simon Jones, who is stood staring at the camera, with Las Vegas Mormon Fort visible behind him; Simon is wearing a pair of black trainers, dark blue jeans and a sky blue long sleeve t-shirt.

Simon: 'For the first time since I made my debut in Sin City Wrestling, eight months ago, I find myself previewing a forthcoming match of my mine from the city that is home to SCW; I am aware that Reno is playing host to Climax Control this weekend, not Vegas, but before I head to Reno in time for Sunday evening, I have some other business to attend to in Vegas, first. Right now though, the task at hand for me is to discuss my impending match with Goth.'

Simon takes a step towards the camera, and then leans forward.

Simon: 'Do you remember me, Goth? You and I have only been opponents once before, back in September, when we were on opposite sides in a mixed tag team match - do you recall how that match ended? It ended with me pinning you, to claim a win for myself and Roxi Johnson, and although this Sunday I won't have Roxi on my side - and you won't have Gothika for a partner - I plan on having the outcome of our first one-on-one contest, mirror the outcome of our sole previous encounter.'

Simon leans away from the camera, to stand up straight.

Simon: 'Coincidentally, Gothika and Roxi Johnson will also be opponents once more on Sunday evening, in another tag team match, and so I'd just like to take this opportunity to wish Roxi and her partner - Traci Patterson - good luck for their match. But back to Goth.'

With his left hand, Simon rubs his knee.

Simon: 'This time four months ago, I was suffering from an injury to my left knee. In the build up to the mixed tag team match, I made no effort whatsoever to hide the fact that I was not fully fit, as it would've only delayed the inevitable: everyone would've found out about my injury sooner or later. Goth chose to mock me, by briefly hopping on one leg, while he spoke about our match; he questioned whether I was doing the right thing, by going ahead with the match - was he concerned for my well-being? Highly unlikely - perhaps he had simply sensed what was going to happen when he set foot in the ring with this wounded animal; Goth compared himself to a vulture, but come the match, he bore more of a resemblance to a magpie, although lacked the intelligence of one - and like the feathers of a magpie, the outcome of the match was black and white: I got the better of Goth.'

Simon puts his hands on his hips.

Simon: 'I expect that Goth will not be so foolish as to ignore what happened in that mixed tag team match - after all, prior to his first match against Kevin Carter for the Heavyweight Championship, Goth took great pleasure in reminding Carter that he had already beaten him once to win a title; Kevin Carter opted to disregard that, and Goth then went on to repeat the trick, by winning the heavyweight title. So I don't expect Goth to not remember the past, and condemn himself to repeating it - I expect that he will have learned from what happened four months ago. But similarly, I'm not so foolish as to think that just because I've beaten Goth once, it's a foregone conclusion that I'll do it again - while two of the combatants may be the same, this is a new match, and so there has been no let up: I've been putting in just as much preparation for this match as I would for any other - in fact, with me not being hindered by an injury this time, I've trained with a greater intensity than I was able to for the match in September, and so on Sunday I should be able to perform at a higher level than I did four months ago, which will hopefully contribute to me again being victorious.'

Simon relaxes his arms, taking his hands away from his hips.

Simon: 'As well as me no longer being injured, another thing that is different now compared with our previous meeting, is that Goth is no longer the SCW Heavyweight Champion. Last time round, Goth told me that he going to make me scream out his name, and that he was going to make me "cry like a little bitch," both of which he of course then failed to do, providing yet another example of a wrestler failing to deliver on their pre-match claims, and further illustrating why I only promise things that I'm certain I'll actually be able to do; I wonder, Goth, did you cry after you screamed out the words, "I quit?" Okay, so I admit I'm using some artistic license there - you didn't literally scream the words - but the fact remains that since we last met, you've lost the heavyweight title, regained it, and then lost it again; as far as you and the heavyweight title picture is concerned, you've been in, out, in, out, and on Sunday night, I'm going to shake you all about - all about the six-sided ring.'

Simon runs his chin with his right hand.

Simon: 'Will shaking Goth all about - again, figuratively rather than literally - be enough to get me the win on Sunday? We all saw what it took for Giani Di Luca to overcome Goth five weeks ago, to take the Heavyweight Championship from him, and having been in the ring with Goth before, I'm well aware of how challenging an opponent he can be. But while there may not be a title a stake on Sunday evening, I consider the match to be no less important, to either of us: two men, both former champions, both eyeing another shot at the title - you don't need to be a member of Mensa to work out that whomever wins on Sunday is going to be the more likely to get their return match for the title. And as I've mentioned, I've already beaten Goth once previously - I'm confident that I'll be able to defeat him again, and give my title aspirations a shot in the arm; when SCW visits Reno on Sunday, hopefully I will again get my hand raised in victory, and leave Goth looking up at the lights.'

Simon continues to stare towards the camera; a couple of seconds later, from off camera, the voice of Simon's wife, Jacqueline, is heard.

Jacqueline: 'Is that it?'

As Simon turns to look towards the right of the shot, Jacqueline Jones walks into view. Jacqueline is wearing a pair of brown high leg boots, black jeans and a burgundy jacket; conspicuously held in her right hand, is a baby car seat, in which is Matilda, the couple's five day old daughter, although she is hidden from view, mostly obscured by a blanket.

Simon: 'Yeah, that'll do - I don't want you to have to stand around waiting for me for much longer.'

Jacqueline: 'Well then, let's go and view these potential new homes that you've lined up.'

The scene changes to show Simon and Jacqueline stood in what appears to be the hallway of a house; they are dressed the same as when they were last seen, the only difference being that Simon is now the one carrying Matilda. Also in view is a man in his early-forties, who is wearing a dark grey suit, with a white shirt and grey tie; the camera follows Simon and Jacqueline, as the man leads them towards the living room of the house.

Suited Man: 'So, this is the living room. There's a forty-two inch, high-definition television, which is one of three televisions in the house - there is also a TV in each of the two bedrooms; this particular TV is connected to a Bose sound system, for an enhanced audio experience. The sofa is a pull out sofa bed, should you need to accommodate any guests.'

Simon and Jacqueline follow the man, as he walks towards the dining room, just beyond the living room.

SM: 'Here we have the dining room, and this door leads out onto a covered patio.'

The man opens a door at the far end of the dining room. Jacqueline steps through the open door, followed by Simon, to take a look at the house's back yard; after looking around for a moment, they both then step back inside the house, and the man shuts the door.

SM: 'If we go back this way, I'll show you the kitchen.'

The trio walk through the dining room, through the living room, and the camera pans to the left as they enter the adjoining kitchen.

SM: 'As you can see, the kitchen has all mods cons, including a full size washer and dryer. Now, if you'll follow me up the stairs, I'll show you the two bedrooms, and the two bathrooms.'

The camera pans further to the left and then follows Jacqueline and Simon, as the man leads them up a stairway; as they set foot on the landing, two doors can be seen on the left-hand side - the man opens the nearest door, and the camera continues to follow Jacqueline and Simon, as they enter a bedroom.

SM: 'This is the master bedroom, complete with king size bed, and a large walk-in closet. Both of the bedrooms have en suite bathrooms.'

The man then opens another door, within the bedroom, which leads to the en suite bathroom.

SM: 'This bathroom has a bathtub, whereas the other bathroom has a shower.'

Simon and Jacqueline each glance around the bathroom; they then follow the fan as he takes them to the other bedroom.

SM: 'This bedroom has a queen size bed, although I'm sure you'd be able to move it easily enough, if you wanted to put a crib in here for your daughter; I'll let you have a look at this bathroom.'

The man opens the door within this bedroom that leads to the bathroom, which Simon and Jacqueline each then inspect.

SM: 'Well, that's everything that there is to see - do either of you have any questions?'

Simon: 'Would be okay if I have a private word with my wife?'

SM: 'Of course.'

The man backs away, out onto the landing, to give Simon and Jacqueline a bit of privacy; the couple speak in hushed tones.

Simon: 'So, what do you think?'

Jacqueline: 'It's definitely the nicer of the two, and I'd be happy to live here - I think it's even an improvement on the house that we had in Halifax. But what about the rent - are you sure we can afford it?'

Simon: 'I know the rent is higher than it was for the house in Halifax, but I'm getting paid more now in SCW than I was twelve months ago in ACW - we'll be fine.'

Jacqueline: 'Are you sure?'

Simon: 'Positive.'

Jacqueline: 'Okay then.'

Simon smiles, then turns away from Jacqueline, and exits the bedroom; Jacqueline follows behind Simon, as he walks towards the suited man.

Simon: 'We've decided we'd like to rent this house.'

SM: 'Great! I'll take you back to the office, and then you can sign the lease.'

As the man makes his way down the stairs, Simon turns to Jacqueline again.

Simon: 'That's our housing situation taken care of - now for me to take care of Goth, on Sunday.'

As Simon and Jacqueline also begin to descend the stairs, the scene fades to black.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:39:37 PM by Simon Jones »