Author Topic: "I'm A Nightmare Wrapped In A Pretty Bow."  (Read 605 times)

Offline Alanah Russow

• View Profile
"I'm A Nightmare Wrapped In A Pretty Bow."
« on: February 04, 2022, 11:28:49 PM »
Feb. 2
Kings Point, NY

Sleep, sleep, grah mo chree
Here on you mamma’s knee
Angels are guarding
And they watch o’er thee.

Smiling softly down at the image of her two sleeping children, Alanah Russow gently reached down into each of their cribs and brushed her fingers along their foreheads, pushing away the downy tufts of hair. Elise cooed and turned her head slightly, but Patrick slept on like a rock. She never imagined her heart could be so full that it felt like it could burst from her chest at any moment, but the day that she laid eyes on her newborn children as they were laid on her chest was the happiest in her life. Followed very closely by the day that she and Jack got married, of course.

It still amazed her that at only 22 years of age, she was already a wife and mother. When she had first come to the US, it had only been to study journalism at NYU. But when her brother Lachlan had invited her to come to some of his shows, she was hooked almost immediately. She loved the pageantry, the showmanship, the athleticism of it all. It was like nothing she had ever seen before. She knew that Lachlan and Malachi had been enamored with wrestling since they were young boys, but she had never had any interest in it until that point. When she attended a live event for the first time, she finally understood why Lach and Mal loved it so much that they both pursued it as careers.

Little did she know that the world of wrestling would also introduce her to the love of her life.

And now, just over three years after they had started awkwardly flirting over Twitter, she and Jack were married with two beautiful children, three dogs and a beautiful new home. It was more than she ever could have dreamed of. It was more than she ever thought she deserved. Because not only had she gained a new husband, she got an entire extended family to go with it. The Russows had welcomed her in with open and loving arms, and she would forever be grateful to them for everything they had done not only for herself, but for her brothers and mother as well.

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t hear the door to the nursery open, so when Jack crept up behind her and slid an arm around her waist, she jumped in surprise but luckily held back a scream. He gave her an apologetic grin as he leaned over to kiss her cheek. “Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” he said. His eyes drifted down to the sleeping twins, and his eyes softened. Much like she had, he reached down into the crib to gently run his hands over their heads, but this time both of them started stirring as if they were about to wake up. Jack and Alanah decided to retreat to let the babies enjoy their nap, and they left the nursery together and headed downstairs to relax in the living room.

As Alanah went to the kitchen to put together some snacks, Jack flipped on the television to find a movie for the two of them to binge. But just as he turned it on, a commercial advertising the upcoming SCW Climax Control show started airing, and it just so happened to show the graphic for their match in the Blast From The Past tournament. When Alanah returned to the living room carrying a tray holding a bowl of popcorn and two glasses of juice, she saw Jack’s face scrunched up into a frown. “What’s wrong?

He nodded his head towards the TV, and when she looked over and saw the tail end of the ad, she sighed heavily. Setting the tray down on the coffee table in front of them, she sat down and took his hands in hers, softly running her thumbs over his knuckles. “Love, we knew this was a possibility, especially when we weren’t lucky enough to get paired together. We just have to make the best of this.

Jack pouted out his bottom lip slightly. “I knew I should have bribed Mark and Christian.

She rolled her eyes, but smiled at her husband as she snuggled up next to him and laid her head on his shoulder. “Darling, they would have just taken your money and ran. I think as soon as we got paired with other people, they had this match already booked. The way they seem to feed off of high-drama matches, this really shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone.

I guess…but I mean, did they really have to book it for the first round? Like damn, let the drama play out a bit! Draw the suspense out!

But they couldn’t guarantee that we would both advance. This way, they get a dramatic, show-stealing match and watch the ticket sales go through the roof. From a business standpoint, it’s quite a brilliant move.

He gave her a slight side-eye. “You know, you really don’t seem as torn up about this whole thing as much as I would have thought.

Alanah sighed, pulling her head back to look Jack straight in the eyes. “I’m just trying not to dwell on it too much. Yes, I am upset that my first match back after having my children is against the father of my children and the love of my life, but that’s just how it is. We can’t change it, so we may as well just accept it.” She reached up and cupped her hands around his face. “All we can do is go out there and give the best damn performance of our lives, and whatever happens we know that we love each other no matter the outcome. Right?

His face softened into a small smile, and he leaned forward to give her a peck on the lips. “Well, when you put it like that, it does put the whole thing into perspective.

She smiled and returned his kiss, nuzzling his nose with hers. “And besides, it’s not like we actually have to fight each other. Mixed tag rules, remember? Men fight men, women fight women.

Jack’s face went from a smile to something akin to disgust. “I’m not even sure my partner qualifies as a woman. She looks like something that would give Freddy Kreuger nightmares.” A full-body shudder went through him. “I’m gonna make sure that I beat the ever-lovin’ snot out of Todd Williams so that you don’t have to get in the ring with that…thing.

Alanah gave him an unamused stare, one eyebrow quirking up. “Jack…

I’m serious, babe! If she gets in the ring with you, she’ll probably, like…I dunno, suck your soul out or something. Or maybe she’ll be like the Sanderson sisters and steal all your beauty. I mean, it would take a hell of a lot of beauty to do anything to that hag, and you got it in spades, so it probably wouldn’t really do much damage. But I just don’t want to take that chance.

Jack…

And besides that, you JUST had babies like, five months ago! Are you really sure you’re ready to get back into the ring?

JACK!

His mouth snapped shut and he gave Alanah a sheepish look. “Sorry. It’s just that…it’s the first time you and I are getting back into the ring after a while and this is the way it’s happening. It really chaps my ass something fierce.

I know, my love. Let’s not think about it for now, OK? Let’s just relax, watch some TV and be a married couple for now.

He smiled again at her, kissing her forehead as they cuddled up on the couch with a blanket. “Sounds good to me.

—-------

Feb. 3

Knock, knock!

It’s girl’s night!

With an excited giggle, Alanah rushed from the kitchen to the front door to greet her sister in law Bella Madison and her best friend Mattie Cormier, who was back in New York after an extended vacation in Bali with her significant other Mack McKane. The three women squealed and giggled as they came together in a group hug.

As much as I’ve been looking forward to the reunion of the Unholy Trinity, I’m a little sad I missed the babies,” Mattie said, her bottom lip jutting out in a pout. “I’ve got an entire wardrobe of adorable little outfits that I can’t wait to try on them.

You’ll have plenty of time to see them tomorrow. Jack just took them to see his parents for the night.” Alanah led the girls into the heated sunroom at the back of the house, where she had set up a whole spread of snacks as well as multiple bottles of wine. “And besides, you really shouldn’t make them any more clothes! They have more than enough. I don’t even think they’ll get to wear everything they have before they grow out of them.

Mattie waved a hand dismissively. “Excuse you, that’s what fabulous aunties are for, to spoil the little ones absolutely rotten.

Bella nodded in agreement, popping a cube of cheese in her mouth. “She’s right. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t do the same if either of us had kids.

Speaking of which…when are you and Mal gonna get on that?” Alanah said with a smirk. “Paddy and Elise need some cousins to play with.

Bella stuck her tongue out, but before she could fire off a retort Mattie put a hand up. “Nuh-uh, none of that talk right now. Wine first!

The girls all settled in with their glasses and for the next little while they gossiped and chatted while drinking and eating. Soon, the conversation turned to the upcoming SCW tournament.

So, judging by his Twitter rants, I think our little Jack is not taking this very well,” Mattie said, her speech slightly slurred after the five glasses of wine she had consumed.

Alanah sighed, staring down into her own glass with a frown. “He knew the odds were probably not going to be in our favour to be teamed together, and I had a feeling that if that was the case that we would end up facing each other. I just wasn’t expecting it to be right at the beginning of the tournament.” She sighed again, setting aside her wine glass and resting her chin in her hand. “I know that I’m physically ready to get back in the ring, I’ve been training like mad with Levi…but now, I’m not really sure if I’m emotionally ready.

Bella and Mattie traded concerned looks before they both moved to sit on either side of Alanah. “This is new,” Bella said. “You’ve been the voice of reason through this whole thing while Jack’s been losing his ever-loving mind about all this. Are you having second thoughts about it?

Second, third, fourth…” Alanah laughed mirthlessly. “I really thought that I was ready for this, but the more I think about it, the more worried I get. I know Jack wanted to get back into wrestling because he’s been going crazy without it, and I honestly was happy just to stay back with the babies and support him in whatever he decided to do, but when he announced that he was going to sign up for the tournament and he looked so excited and happy…well, I started to get a little jealous, I guess. I’ve been out for over a year now, first with that knee injury and then my pregnancy. I’ve missed wrestling so much.” She sniffled slightly, almost sounding on the verge of tears. “And maybe it was kind of impulsive of me, but I just wanted to do what you were all doing again. I wanted to be a part of it all. I’m tired of just sitting on the sidelines.

Mattie and Bella traded looks again as Alanah wiped a few stray tears off of her cheeks. “Oh, honey,” Mattie cooed as she wrapped an arm around Alanah’s shoulders.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my babies and I love being a mum, but I see you all out there and I just get this ache in my heart. I want to be in front of the crowds again. I want to hear the cheers, and to see them all clapping for me. I want to win titles again, and have my hand raised up…

Bella rubbed at Alanah’s back. “It’s OK, it’s OK. We’re not judging you for this. You know you have so many people who are rooting for you to come back. And no matter what happens in this match with you and Jack, you know that the two of you will still love each other at the end of it all, right?

Alanah hiccuped and sniffled again. “Yeah, I know.” She glanced between her two friends, a smile finally appearing on her face. “Thanks, you two. I just…needed to get that all out of my head. It’s been driving me crazy the last little while.

Hey, that’s what we’re here for.” Mattie raised her wine glass. “To the Unholy Trinity, together again!

Bella and Alanah laughed as they raised their wine glasses and the three girls toasted together, the clink of the glasses echoing in the sunroom.

—---

The late afternoon sunlight sparkled on the freshly fallen snow in the backyard of Alanah’s home as the Irishwoman sat in the sunroom the next day, looking prim and put together in a white short sleeved shirt, mid-length royal blue skirt and black pumps. Her blonde hair was carefully curled and held back with a wide black headband, and her makeup was understated but enough to highlight her big brown eyes and glowing skin. She beamed a sunny smile towards the camera as she folded her hands in her lap.

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve had to do this, but I suppose I should introduce myself to the SCW universe. Though I have a feeling you probably already have an idea of who I am, based on my family.” She laughed slightly. “My name is Alanah Russow, and I am here to win the Blast From The Past tournament.

She crossed her legs together at the ankles as she moved her arms to rest on the sides of the chair. “I know it’s a pretty bold statement from someone who’s new to the company, but rest assured I am confident in my abilities. After all, I am the longest-reigning PWS United champion in history.” A slightly cocky smirk graced her lips, before settling into her demure smile again. “But if that’s not enough to convince you, I also happen to be the younger sister of Lachlan Kane and Malachi, the wife of Jack Russow, the daughter-in-law of Levi Russow, the sister-in-law of both Bella Madison and Sierra Williams…well, I think you see my point. I am part of a very renowned wrestling family, and I plan on continuing to add to our legacy while here in SCW. Starting with the tournament, and then going on to win myself another championship.

But I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, aren’t I? First things first, getting past round one. Now, I have to admit I don’t know much about my partner, and when I attempted to do some research on him, I found out that he actually hasn’t wrestled here in the company. Sure, he seems a successful businessman outside the ropes, but that’s a separate story. I need to know that my partner is going to hold up his end of the team, if we're going to be successful. There was a slight look of concern in her eyes, but it was quickly erased. “But I’m not worried. I’m sure that Todd Williams is going to be a great partner and he and I will go all the way to the top of this tournament.

Her face fell slightly as she started to speak again. “That being said, we certainly don’t have an easy first round match. I had the sneaking suspicion that should I not get partnered with my husband in this tournament, this sort of thing would happen. Call it a hunch, after seeing the kind of matches that Mark Ward and Christian Underwood like to put together. And this certainly has the kind of drama that they love, doesn’t it? Not that I know from personal experience, but having had my eye on the company for some time I’m well aware of the kind of shenanigans the owners of this company like to put their roster through.” She smiled a bit, to show that she was just teasing…somewhat. “And with Jack and I not being the only couple in the tournament, I just know Mark and Christian are ecstatic for all the big match potentials. But for right now, I’m fully focused on this first-round match, and advancing to the next round.

She shifted in her chair a bit. “Now, I know the big story with this match is the whole ‘husband vs wife’ trope, and I know that people are looking forward to seeing just what will happen with Jack and I at the end of this match. Will we implode? Will there be a sore loser?” Alanah shook her head slightly and raised a finger, waggling it back and forth. “Sorry to disappoint you all, but that just will not be the case. Jack and I are solid as a rock, and no matter the outcome of this match we will always be in each other’s corner cheering. But, we don’t have to worry about actually fighting each other thanks to the mixed tag rules of this tournament. Which means I need to focus my attention on Twisted Sister.

An unimpressed look comes across Alanah’s face at that moment. “I sincerely hope that you don’t think I’m going to be some cowering damsel in distress at Climax Control. I may look like the vision of some perfectly put together 1950’s housewife, but I assure you I am far more than just a mere wife and mother. I’ve tangled with darker forces than you could even imagine, and I’ve done it with a smile. I’m not a little girl, jumping at the shadows under her bed or the monsters in her closet. I may look like sugar and spice and everything nice, but I’ve spent enough time with Bella that she’s definitely brought out the fire in me. And I’m going to use it to put you down and out of this tournament.

She then rose to her feet, smoothing down the front of her skirt as she smirked towards the camera again. “My name is Alanah Russow, the Wild Irish Rose, and I’m your future Blast From The Past winner.

She turned on her heel and flounced out of the sunroom, her skirt swishing around her knees and her heels clicking on the hardwood as the scene faded out on her retreating form.