Author Topic: "You say you want a leader, but you can't seem to make up your mind..."  (Read 665 times)

Offline The Dragon

• View Profile
    • Mark \
Part 1 - Dreams Coming True
Several weeks ago…

The scene opens to a gym. The kind of run-down, falling apart kind of gym that looked like even the poorest of the poor could afford to train there and, by the condition of the place, looks like they did. And didn’t shower afterwards. It was also the kind of place that seemed to breed the plucky underdogs that would somehow go on to take on the world, become a champion one day, and hail their humble upbringings for getting them there. They seemed to learn a different kind of toughness in places like this. What is lacking in modern conveniences, it more than made up for in blood, sweat and hard work.

We are brought to the ring, placed smack bang in the centre, which was in an equal state of disrepair, complete with a large rip in the canvas that looked like a very real trip hazard for anyone who dared step into it. Royal Purple can be seen in full black tracksuit, hanging lazily on one of the aprons, glancing down at Dev Khatri, the only backstage interviewer she'd managed to talk into coming along for the ride.

Royal Purple: So which Make a Wish kid am I blessing with my presence again?

Dev: It’s an experience day for up-and-coming young wrestlers to get in the ring with full-time pros, no Make a Wish anything!

Royal Purple: Same thing. Ugh - Cross.

The loud creak of the double doors leading onto the gym floor signifies the entrance of Mark "The Dragon" Cross, who was next to work in with one of the trainees. He finds himself a near-empty corner of the gym, and kicks off his stretching regime as he chats away with one of the coaches.

Dev: On his way back from injury I guess, get some light work in.

Royal Purple: I was enjoying the peace and quiet...so what's the deal with this again?

Dev: Make them look good in there for 10 minutes or so, then finish it off. Make her feel good about the whole thing.

Royal Purple: What was that, don't let them touch me for 10 minutes?

Dev: That’s not what I said.

Royal Purple: It’s what you meant though right?

While Dev and Royal Purple go backwards and forwards, her opponent steps in through the ropes, dressed in full tracksuit of her own, and sneakers. They looked to be in an even poorer state than the ring. To the camera she looks equal parts excited and nervous at the prospect of getting a few shots in at the GRIME star. The masked wrestler looks across at her nonchalantly, then pushes herself out of the corner

Royal Purple: Alright let's get this over with.

As the coach who was on referee duty waves them together, the girl walks forward and offers up her hand for a Roman test of strength. Royal Purple eyes her hand for a moment, seeming to think about taking it. Instead, she winds up with a roundhouse kick at blistering speed, catching her opponent in the jaw and sending her flying.  To her credit, the rookie is quick to her feet but already she’s shaking her head - She definitely didn’t see it coming. Seemingly, nor did the coach, who realises just how close it was to taking his nose off.

Royal Purple at least shows enough restraint not to go on the offensive straight away, and instead goads her opponent on, keeping her hands down by her sides as she head-weaves away from punches, checks kicks with her own legs, and even sidesteps a running clothesline like a matador. Any attempts to grapple, Royal Purple just pushes away, or steps back from. It’s almost like watching a predator play with their meal, making them think they have half a chance...except the poor prey doesn’t know they’re a snack yet.

Royal Purple: How long Dev?

Dev: Six minutes gone.

Royal Purple: Ugh.

A loud SLAP rings out across the gym floor. The onlookers ooh. Cross seems to find it laugh-out-loud funny. With Royal Purple turning her attention to the SCU interviewer it allowed her opponent to connect, with an open palmed slap that landed flush. The GRIME star clutches her masked face for a second, taking stock, exacting out her plan for revenge no doubt as her cheek stings even with it’s layer of protection. One stiff kick to the midsection, followed by the hooking of both arms, straight into a Kettle...Kitty Takki...THAT MOVE THAT CROSS DOES to seal the deal.

Royal Purple stares intently in the direction of Mark “The Dragon” Cross, who had definitely seen, as she places one boot on the chest of the downed trainee. One middle finger held in his direction as the coach slaps the mat for one, two, three. Proudly, she vaults the top rope and drops to the gym floor to meet up with Dev, not even glancing back for a second to check the condition of her opponent.

Dev: Well that’s one way to send a message. You know you guys could easily get booked against each other on an SCU show?

As the pair begin to move away from the ring, we see Cross make his way to the ring, along with a much taller young competitor with a clear size avantage. We guess those two are up next.

Royal Purple: And?

Dev: That’s a strange fight to pick don’t you think?

Royal Purple: Why? I mean like...Dev - Why does nobody really mess with Cross anyway?

Dev: He's a nice guy?

Royal Purple: HAAAAA! That's BS and you know it. Kate and Teddy? He went after their PARENTING skills dude, to try and help him win Blast from the Past. Mikah, Evie, Tally, Alex Jones, Father Gerald. Big D, the Fire Dragons terrorised you backstage right? And even after all that even VALENTINA can’t stand him now, and we all thought they were...well...you know...for months right? So why does he get a free ride?

Dev: They're...scared?

Royal Purple: Scared of losing maybe. Mad props to the guy his Strong Style is that Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul Liam Neeson level shit, not this watered down everyone’s a Strong Styler now cause it’s cool kinda thing we get now. How many times has he been behind, getting laid into by his opponent and suddenly one, two moves and the match is his. The guy could be World champ. He isn't yet, but he could, right?. He could fuck your day up, in the ring, in front of all your biggest fans, all while flying the flag for SCU. He’s supposed to be part of the inferior product, right? All the risk when you face him, no reward...

The pair turn to watch the action in the ring, which had started unfolding almost as soon as they’d cleared out of it. Mark “The Dragon” Cross has been far from in the driving seat against Travis, one of the more promising rookies in the school from some of the whispered conversations around the building. The teenager seemed to have got on top of the action early, and was using his size and strength advantage to keep Cross on the canvas and out-of-breath.

Royal Purple: LET’S GO TRAVIS LET’S GO! KICK HIS ASS! WOO!

We can see Travis’ head drawn to the cheer across the gym as he picks Cross up momentarily, knowing not to give him a single inch, putting him straight back down with a fallaway slam that seems to further knock the wind from the sails of the former Blast from the Past winner. Travis raises both fists in the air, parading around the ring like he’d just won the Superbowl as he soaked in the cheers of his fellow rookies, who gradually seem to grow in confidence that he may be able to scalp a win here.

Royal Purple: Here we gooooooo...

The taunting seems to be the final straw for Cross, who was now done with giving this rookie the limelight. It was a switch that flipped the second his showboating started. He sweeps the legs of Travis out from underneath him, springing off his feet and hitting the ropes hard as the kid sits up right into a SHINING WIZARD that leaves him seeing stars. Not done, Cross lifts the dazed fighter to his shoulder with relative ease, even with his larger frame and lets him drop, bringing knee to falling face with a Go 2 Sleep that seems to spell the end.

Dev: How did you know?

Royal Purple: Cross is predictable, picks his spots. He let this kid have his fun, but all it took was the showboating to leave him a window. He’s dangerous as hell, but it’s not from his complete work, it’s those few killer moves right when he’s looking to finish you off. I study everyone Dev. I learn from everyone. ESPECIALLY the people I dislike, the people I provoke. I want to be ready to shut them down.

Cross looks at his downed opponent for a few seconds, knowing that a pinfall victory was inevitable right then and there, but he seems to be calculating something else, the top turnbuckle, which he climbs up to in two quick strides.

Coach: Damn, he has a lot of faith in himself.

Royal Purple: Really dude?

Coach: Huh, what did I say?

From the top, Cross takes one look behind before propelling himself into the air, executing a perfect corkscrew 630 senton to his stricken opponent, connecting, and collecting the pinfall victory. He stands, eyes locked on Royal Purple as he holds two middle fingers in her direction, smiling broadly. 

The camera swings, focussing on the mask of Royal Purple, her matching purple hair below it shaking slightly, the only show of an emotional reaction. We see her hand shoot out to the side, followed by the metallic thud of a locker door from out of shot.

Dev: Uh...RoyalPurpleRoyalPurple...agh…

The camera moves along the path of the masked wrestler's arm, finding it sandwiching Dev Khatri's face between her hand and the bank of lockers. Thankfully, he is released a moment later, and to his credit gives chase as the girl makes her swift exit out of the gym and onto the sidewalk.

Dev: Royal Purple...wait up...

Royal Purple: I HATE that fucking guy!

Dev: What was that about?

Royal Purple: AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Royal Purple’s scream of anguish reminds us a little of a teenage girl that wasn’t getting everything all her own way…maybe a sign of the person behind the mask. To really hammer it home, she stamps her foot a couple of times too.

Royal Purple: Stealing finishers, at his age, really?

Dev: I mean didn't you just…

Royal Purple: This is like...childish prankster bullshit I swear! 10 year veteran, pffffft. He's been hanging around with that dumb bitch with the dog too much, the stupid is starting to rub off…

Dev: Candy? What's she done to you?

Royal Purple: Nobody is safe Dev. Nobody. They don’t deserve to be.

Dev: Main roster talent though? Cross, now Candy, you even tried messing with Evie the first week you got here...Why would you even want to be on their radar anyway?

Royal Purple: Because I'm putting myself on their radar, cause you know what’s great about this GRIME thing? Nobody knows what I am under this mask. What I've done. What I'm capable of. Who I REALLY am. Nobody but me. Just because I choose not to hang with "main roster talent" doesn't mean I can't.

Dev: You “choose” not to?

Royal Purple: You only have to look at the talent D. The number of interchangeable pieces ya know? All the brands are strong in places. Some of us are where we are because we want to uh...be around our own kind, I guess? And some of us just belong there way more than we do on any of the other brands. Lord Raab the monster that lives in the basement or whatever. Angel Kash and her new best friend’s little mean girls act. Cross and his ‘plucky underdog’ status, even though he’s wiped through half the main roster in 2020. Javi as one of the spearheads of the GRIME movement, a Blast from the Past finalist. You wanna put together a tier system and tell me everyone’s in the right spots on wrestling ability alone?

Dev: Well...uhh…

Royal Purple: Don’t worry I’ll wait.

Dev: Maybe later, but where do you fit into this?

Royal Purple: Huh?

Dev: Where does the “real” Royal Purple sit on the tier list?

Royal Purple: Oh...you’ll see.

Royal Purple sets off down the sidewalk like a girl on a mission.

Dev: Wait...that’s all your giving me?

Royal Purple: Yuppers! I’m off for ice cream byeeeeee!

Dev shakes his head for a second as he turns to face the camera one last time.

Dev: Well, hanging out with Royal Purple today sure was...interesting to say the least. In the few times I’ve been around her she’s come across as a bit of a prankster in the locker room with the odd flash of excitement in the ring, if that. Probably one of the last names that comes to mind on this GRIME roster...but today was different. She can be more focussed, more intense than that. Either she talks a big game, or she’s been holding out on us. Only time will tell if she ever gets a shot at a big name, or if she’ll fail to prove herself worthy. This is Big D, signing off.

The scene fades to black.

Part 2 - Taking out the trash
Following the release of the Climax Control 286 card

The scene opens to what looks like a small apartment, since an unmade bed can be made out in the background, along with a mess of beer cans, pizza boxes and part-filled bottles of liquor that seem to fill every available surface, including the bed itself. Seated on the couch which is front and centre of the shot, sits Royal Purple, complete with GRIME mask glowing in the dim light. Her long purple hair is flowing freely and vibrant, as if freshly dyed. For unexplained reasons, she is idly spinning a pair of scissors on her finger.

Royal Purple: Hiiiiiiiii ya’ll how’s it goin’ it’s ya girl Royal Purple coming at ya right now as I…

From the kitchen area to the right of the shot emerges a girl we haven’t seen before. She’s dressed in full wrestling gear, sparkly pink with the letters “KH” proudly in gold emblazoned on her chest, and at a guess looks to be in her early to mid-twenties, with straight blonde hair a little past shoulder length. The tips are dip-dyed with a little pink to match her outfit.

Katie: You didn’t introduce me! Hey, I’m F...Royal Purple’s girlfriend…

Royal Purple: ...You hang out at my apartment sometimeUGH

The new girl drops herself into Royal Purple’s lap unannounced, causing the involuntary noise to slip out as she absorbs the weight.

Katie: Now there’s no need to be so mean…

Royal Purple: Friends with benefits?

The girl drapes an arm around Royal Purple’s shoulders, turning herself to face the camera.

Katie: ...showing off in front of all your fans…

Royal Purple: Oh yeah speaking of you guys...I keep thinking Katie here’s hair would look better if it was shorter, maybe a little above her shoulders, how about you?

Katie: Nope. We’ve talked about this. Not doing it! Nuh-uh! But yeah anyway guys, I’m Katie, I’m a wrestler too, I’ve just come back from training in Japa-

In one swift movement, Royal Purple’s right hand moves towards Katie’s shoulder.

Royal Purple: Yeet.

There is a split second or two as it sinks in, the distinct sound of scissors cutting through human hair, the blend of natural blonde and dip-dyed pink falling into Katie’s lap as we the viewers understand what the scissors were for in the first place. Even worse, Katie, the unsuspecting victim realises that Royal Purple had taken the matter of her hair length into her own hands. In a sudden, and very understandable fit of rage, Katie throws hands wildly at Royal Purple, who dodges the crazed shots with impressive agility, at least until she runs out of couch to escape away from.

Royal Purple: Aaaack!

As Katie tries to shift her weight for more purchase, the pair end up spilling all the way off the couch. As the sound of a struggle can be heard from out of shot, a sudden knock to whatever the camera is balancing on causes the shot to tip downwards, towards the floor. A few moments later we see Katie appear, clawing away desperately at the carpet for purchase as Royal Purple seems to have turned the table, and attempts to lock in a Sharpshooter. The scene fades to black, cutting back to Royal Purple back on the couch, alone a few moments later.

Royal Purple: Hiiiiiii ya’ll it’s Royal Purple again, but this time I’ve taken out the trash and cleared the apartment of distractions too, so let’s do this thing.

She sits back, almost looking relieved to be rid of the other girl for a while.

Royal Purple: Candy Candy Candy...I mean like, wow. Do you ever feel like going in hard on Candy is like finding the smallest, fluffiest dog in the neighbourhood and kicking a 40-yard field goal with it or something? Ooh, maybe her dog. Yeah that’d work! You’ve gotta wonder how she gets through LIFE let alone manages to compete in a professional sport but hey, those are the cards we’re dealt. You know what, I even thought about going easy on her today...but I poured too much vodka into my orange juice this morning, the hangover from hell is about to kick like a MULE and I really can’t be glitter coating everything. I’ve already had enough drama and it’s not even lunchtime yet…

The sudden thought of food seems to turn Royal Purple’s stomach, and despite the mask she brings a hand up to her mouth just in case. The moment seems to pass soon enough, and with relief she brings down her hand and soldiers on.

Royal Purple: Weird sexual fantasies. Just...throwin’ it out there. Yup, I’m doing it, cause her husband must have some weird caregiver kink to subject himself to THAT on a daily basis I mean come on. Some people get turned on by some like...weird shit or something I dunno, and doting after a fully grown woman that acts like a child most of the time…I mean hey I'll bet she’s even cute to be around for a while...but every single day for the rest of your life until death do you part? Screw THAT! The temptation to grease the top of the stairs and tell her cookies are ready would be WAY strong after like... a week. If that. Humpty dumpty sat on a waaaaall!

Royal Purple breaks into a fit of cackly, almost hysterical laughter for a moment, maybe the thought of Candy bouncing down every single stair on the way to her death brought her joy somehow? Or maybe she just thought she was hilarious. It was a little tough to tell.

Royal Purple: ...that wasn't really very funny was it? Like I knew I had some issues going on right now but just how far gone am I? Need to focus up...need...to focus...up…

Royal Purple swings a hand, open-palm smacking herself in the forehead with a dull thud, the sound being deadened somewhat by the mask.

Royal Purple: Ow. Oh yeah Candy! I guess we’d better get serious for a minute here cause...otherwise imma start thinking that if I was her girl, I’d always come second to that flea ridden mongrel of hers, and it’s gonna make me sad soooooo...real wrestling talk! Let’s go! So let’s say for example...you just can’t get a win, right? Say it’s been, oh I don’t know, over six months since you’ve gone one-on-one and made a guy count one-two-three for you? Maybe you want something a little easier to break that cycle, but it’s not beating down on Jessie Salco level desperation just yet. Something needs to be done right? An easy target. Maybe...oh I don’t know, the exact position that our girl Candy is in right now? Someone decides it’s time for a shot in the arm, turn this around for her, get her back to winning ways.

As if feeling her focus magically return, Royal Purple leans forward, staring intently into the lens.

Royal Purple: Why? Business reasons. Just like any band breakups are due to creative differences, anything in wrestling is economic gains...and just as we wave hello to the most intelligent phrase I’m gonna come out with all December, Climax Control waves hello to me, Masked GRIME Member Royal Purple - Hey!

Royal Purple waves enthusiastically at the camera.

Royal Purple: I get it. This probably isn’t even Candy’s fault. I don’t think she has the brain capacity to put together ANY kind of easy victory kinda plan. I hear she puts orange juice on her cereal most mornings so hey, but the most beautiful thing of all for us adults, even if our mental ages don’t match, is we can choose. We can choose not to be a puppet. We can choose not to take the easy way out. We can say no not some GRIME mask that hasn’t done something relevant. We can say let me earn my shot. Let me work through it. Let me figure things out and do better. You know most of us, we’re able to join the dots and figure out when we’re being spoon-fed right? Let me explain.

Royal Purple rubs her hands together in front of her.

Royal Purple: Candy’s having some problems getting it done...So in comes the budget brand’s ugly sister, and they turn to little old me to save the day. This is a setup, 110%, and imma tell you why right now. GRIME has commitment, ya know, for one reason or another. Anyone that’s been in GRIME for the start wanted this. REALLY wanted this. Guys and gals that were willing to give up the safety of their old contracts for uncertainty, just so they could embrace their vision, live out their passions for pain, suffering, and for pure, unadulterated hardcore wrestling. They just wanted to get filthy, sure, but the pioneers of the GRIME movement, showing the kind of never-say-die attitudes that have turned the most unlikely men and women into champions? First in, last out kinda characters that will bleed and bleed and bleed for the cause, then bleed once more, then boast about it in the bar afterwards. People who the Sin City Wrestling main brand would be PROUD to call one of their own for their drive, their commitment, their work ethic. Their face wouldn’t fit, sure, but they’d earn their respect on merit eventually. All these names, take your pick, who could be the first to lead the invasion onto Climax Control. Instead their hopes lie entirely on the shoulders of...Royal Purple.

She raises her arms above her head and points down at herself with both fingers.

Royal Purple: Almost always late to training, if she ever shows up at all. Last in, first out when she does. May fail a random drugs test. Will definitely fail a random sobriety test. The kind of low-life bitch that would definitely fake a positive COVID test just to get 14 days off work in self isolation. No, I haven’t done it, that disease has turned so many lives upside down that really didn’t deserve it, I’m not gonna go and joke around with that...but I thought about it, that’s bad enough. I even had the number of a guy that could have hooked me up with the necessary paperwork. Even by GRIME standards, not the kind of scumbag you want representing your interests out there am I? I’m the perfect candidate to make sure we retain our lowly status. I’m set up to lose. I’m set up to fail. It’s so obvious, and if golden girl gets a little confidence burst too? Well that’s a double fucking yay for the suits now isn’t it?

The girl sits back, staring down at her hands for a second. She sees them starting to shake a little, balls them up into fists, pretends it didn’t happen, and moves on.

Royal Purple: And you know what, it nearly worked. I mean...what part of anything I’ve done since I got here made it seem like I care about me, my health, my career, the company I represent. It’s a smart, safe bet to throw me under the bus, I’m just gonna be worthless on a bigger stage, right? But it’s gonna backfire. I’m not stupid, I’m not simple, I’m not naive. I’m not my opponent, is what I’m saying. I wear this mask for...reasons, okay? Reasons that maybe got me in this mess in the first place. It's an escape, it's still fucked, but it's better, and hiding away, pretending to be someone else for a time? Not being weighed down by the expectations that the person under this mask had on them every time they lace up a pair of boots? Yeah, I'm down for that. They misjudged one thing about me, and they got it sooooooo wrong. I’m not spiraling. I’m in recovery. I’m not broken beyond repair, I’m putting myself back together, piece by piece.

Royal Purple’s two balled up fists unclench, her head drops a little, her voice lowers to something closer to a whisper.

Royal Purple: I'm trying to get myself straight I swear. Maybe three, maybe four months ago, had this chance rolled around I probably would have screwed it up. I probably wasn’t ready, but look at me now, the big show just came calling. Hey, this could just be about me, my antics riling up management enough that they think throwing me to the wolves will slap some sense into me, or slap me back down to the basic bitch brand where I came from once and for all, never to attack their precious locker room angels with chairs and unprovoked Big Gulp attacks again...yet the big problem there - Blast from the Past final? Javi and Cross. GRIME and SCU. The true ballers in Sin City seem to be the scumbags, the losers, the drunks. Ha. Turns out I belong here more than I thought. Maybe it’s time I throw my hat in the ring and get amongst them huh? This IS a chance for me. It’s not meant to be, but I see it for what it really is.

Royal Purple reaches down to the floor, picking up a notepad. She holds it up to the camera revealing detailed notes, scrawled together in a jumble of scribbles, highlights, different coloured pens, and even some scratchy drawings that even at a distance seem to resemble some of the current roster.

Royal Purple: This is gonna surprise ya but I study wrestlers a lot. I find it’s therapeutic, keeps me focussed on something productive...when I feel like I’m close to going off the rails. Preparing for a match against Candy...hmm...well I’m going to get called an idiot head a buncha times, so I can start putting up my emotional barriers now for when that sick burn comes in, and I’d better run to Walgreens for some ointment...uhh...we’re not running with GRIME rules so I don’t have to worry about glitterbombs...so I guess I just need to figure out how to beat her don’t I?

She scratches the back of her head for a moment or two, staring down at the “Candy” page of her book.

Royal Purple: My coach would definitely not be impressed with my drinking, most of all. If this little segment isn’t proof enough that maybe I need to curb it just a tiny little bit, I don’t know what is...and of course they’re right, and of course, I’ll think about it. I always think about it, even if I do it my own way in the end. Sometimes, that’s a thing, your trainer being right about something, but not always! How many great coaches have said get into your opponents head ya know, put on their shoes and walk around in them? Haaaaa, out-crazy Alice Knight? Like I'm already barely holding on to my sanity out here as it is, or even better, out-dumb Candy? I'm a natural blonde under all this purple dye and like...if the rumors are true, we don't have any spare brain cells to lose as it is, sooooooo I guess I I gotta throw in the towel on that idea and do it my own way...but what is my own way, exactly?

Royal Purple shifts her position on the couch, resting her feet up on it.

Royal Purple: Well - They call me the Speed Queen. I'm fast, faster than anyone on the roster. Put some red and white sneaks on my feet and you coulda called me Sonic Blue ya know? Was that color ever taken? Now I may have held out on you guys as ya know what's real when you're buzzed? Uh-huh, motion sickness baby. Trying to get up to full speed is a sure fire way of losing your lunch, and if you keep your lunch down well...let’s say medical ask a lot less questions, especially of the GRIME stars. Us lot have questionable motives I guess. You guys haven’t seen me at my best very often. Ever, actually. It’s my fault, it’s self inflicted, and maybe I was just holding out for the right motivation. Listen...I know you’ve heard addicts say ‘I can quit anytime’ and you’d always be like ‘uh yeah sure bro’ cause you know it’s a lie? It’s not like that for me. This is a bump in the road. Something I need to grow as a human and deal with. Something I’m already dealing with. Maybe it’s time I stop screwing around for a little while and get back to that thing I used to be great at.

Royal Purple crosses her legs over each other.

Royal Purple: Sooooo congratulations Sin City Wrestling! Congratulations Mark Ward. Congratulations Christian Underwood, you’ve done this. I don’t know if that was the master plan all along, but I figure I’m just about inspired to be out here screwing up whatever plans you had for me. Instead of keeping GRIME down, instead of helping out one of your own, you brought a new problem on yourselves. If you want to send me packing back to the shadow realm, you might have to feed me to one of your best to shut me down. Pick one. I don’t mind. I’ve got notes on all of them. Oh, and while you’re at it, send that owl girl flying my way could ya? I didn’t knock enough sanity into her. As for this Sunday...This is gonna be like taking Candy from a baby honestly. Some playground violence is about to take place on that little woman-child you’re trying to boost up at my expense, and I fully expect to be standing outside the Principal’s office when it’s all said and done. It’s time I show you what’s really going on under the mask. It’s time you see me at my best, and you’ll really, REALLY wish you hadn’t. Byeeeeeeee!

As the scene fades to black, the masked avenger waves playfully at the camera.