Author Topic: A worthy opponent  (Read 770 times)

Offline Mac

• View Profile
A worthy opponent
« on: December 02, 2022, 08:56:14 PM »
"Every warrior wants a worthy opponent. There is no redress in fighting the pathetic." - Donna Lynn Hope.

{Vivian’s Apartment - Las Vegas, NV - “Reliving the past Pt2”

I went out on the balcony to have a cigarette, with my son, Jimmy hot on my heels. “Pops, this is vendetta…” he said allowing the rest of his sentence to trail off as his mind was now in overdrive. I nodded after lighting a cigarette, “Indeed it is, kiddo.” Exhaling forcibly I cringed. “She did something to them, something that must have cost them a great deal. That’s the only thing I can think of right now.” He looked at me, “What could drive a man to try and kill someone who’s blind?” I smiled a sad smile, “Jimmy, there are people in this world who would kill for any reason at all. Money, fame, insulting their mom, you name it. I think in this case, she may have stumbled onto something that she wasn’t supposed to see or hear.” I looked down just then to see a familiar teddy bear sitting in a bedroom window across the street. “I need more coffee, I think I’m starting to see things.” He looked up at the same time that I said that “I think whiskey may be more appropriate.” I looked back again and she was gone. Angel’s little friend was my guess. I finished my cigarette and rolled the butt between my thumb and forefinger to cause the cherry to drop off the end. I crushed the still lit tobacco under the heel of my boot. I put the butt in the can that had been provided. A small moving van rolled slowly into the parking lot and I checked my phone for messages. There it was, [The calvary is here.] was the message.

I smirked as I read Jeff’s message. Jeff Castello had been our commanding officer while we were in the Navy. He was a good and decent man, I had met few others with his integrity and sense of fair play. The team worked quickly to build a quasi-enclosure to disrupt the view from the outside. He disappeared from sight as a black SUV rolled into the parking lot. I stepped to the nearest wall to partially hide me from view, as Jimmy crouched down behind the half wall. The vehicle only paused momentarily and then moved along. As I looked at the driver, there was no doubt about who it was. The jagged scar along his jawline gave him away. I sent a quick message to Jeff, [looks like we have company.] He sent one back, [yep, have eyes on him from the roof.] I sighed a heavy sigh as I closed my phone. “Let’s go back inside and make sure we are not seen for a bit.” Jimmy nodded and then duckwalked to the door and slipped inside. I stood outside for a minute and then moved back inside myself. As I entered the room I said, “Don’t be alarmed but we’re going to have some company shortly.” Vivian sighed and her bottom lip began to tremble. Grey was by her side instantly to comfort her. I felt bad for my old friend but we had to stand strong on this one.

That’s when the door opened and Jeff stood there, he greeted us with a warm smile. “It really never gets old rescuing you two, did you know that? You guys are always in trouble, and the past always seems to bite you on the ass.” That stopped the trembling lip as if it never occurred. “Let me tell you something, you slack-jawed bastard…” Vivian began. Grey touched her on the forearm and she stopped. “Thank you Jeffery for coming on short notice,” she appended. I smiled at the calming effect of Grey, and his dedication to his wife. He was a strong man and to be married to Viv, he’d have to be. Jeff stepped back into the hallway as he watched someone down the hall. He lit his cigar in the hall and waited for something. “Got it.” he accentuated the statement with a snap of his fingers. “Okay, kids. Ready to roll?” Vivian reached down and grabbed her back and her cane. I looked over at Krayon, “Defend”, was all I said to him. He took a more defensive posture in front of Vivian and Grey. Jimmy’s eyes went wide at the transformation of Krayon. “Oh…Pops…you did a great job with him.” I smiled and patted him on the shoulder. “I try, kid, I try.” “Jeff, what are the numbers?” I asked him a firm voice. He looked at me, “About like normal,” he said with a smirk.

Grey looked over at me as I was shaking my head, “What does that mean exactly, Mac?” Vivian laughed, “It means we’re fucked, probably two to one odds at the very least.” Jeff shrugged, “Closer to three but that’s okay, we’ve been in tighter spots than this before.” Grey looked to me for acknowledgment, I nodded to him, “yeah, twenty-something years ago.” Jeff huffed and said, “Let’s go people, we’re burning daylight.” note to self, remind him later that he is not Clint Eastwood, again. With Krayon and Jeff running point, I was the back line of defense. I kept my back turned to them, making sure that our advantage hadn’t been discovered quite yet.

To be continued….

{Unnamed Diner - Somewhere in Las Vegas - “The Conversation Part 2”}

He shook his head, “No, I got your message, why would you be so willing to keep my secrets?” I kept my finger on the trigger of the sawed-off shotgun as I spoke, “See, Frank, I’m a simple and straightforward kinda guy. I protect and provide for my family, it’s just that simple.” He nodded his understanding and said simply, “I can respect that, Bane. The real problem here is that you know too much about me. All the things I did to protect my country, doing things for the greater good of the American people.” That phrase set my spidey sense off immediately, a red flag, the klaxon warning blast inside my brain if you will. People who use the phrase, “for the better good”, are typically tyrants, or at least sociopaths. I inclined my head and whispered to him, “Well now Francis that presents a problem for one of us.” He gritted his teeth and replied, “For you, yes, for me, not so much.” One of the “local talent” approached the table with a bowie knife already drawn. “Is it time, sir?” Frank looked up at him and started to say something, but I cut him off. Still whispering to Frank, “If you or your men make a mistake here, one thing is going to be true. Whether it’s your fault, his fault, my fault, or no one’s fault. You won’t be walking away from this table.” He could hear the hammers being cocked back and his reaction showed it. He looked up at his guy, “I thought you searched him?

He shook his head, indicating he had not. I looked up at him again and realized who he was, “Fred, how’s the collar bone, healing okay?” He grinned stupidly at me, “Yeah, boss, it is. Thanks for asking.” I smiled at Frank, “you see, Fred here is a stupid man. He’s tried fighting me on multiple occasions. We have an agreement that if he doesn’t do that anymore then I’ll quit breaking his bones, isn’t that right Fred?” He nodded sagely, “Yes sir, that’s all true.” I smiled at him, “Then be a good boy and put the knife away, I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt.” He nodded again and sheathed the knife. “That’s probably a good idea, Mac.” Then Fred walked away. “So you came to my town, and are thinking that using local talent was a good idea? I’ve bloodied the nose of virtually every so-called Vegas tough guy in this town.” Sneering at me, and speaking through clenched teeth, “He’s not the only one that’s here, Bane.” I nodded, “Fair enough, just the only one with balls enough to approach, got it.” He put both of his hands on the table and spoke loudly, “Every man in this place is here at my request.” I wagged my finger back and forth like Mutombo, “Not, all. That clearly piqued his interest as he looked around. His gaze stopped on Fexxfield, who nodded and raised his glass in a toast.

“My friend tagged along to see what kind of foolishness I’d gotten into. Lucky for you, I have more important things to do tonight. Declare a temporary truce and everyone walks away unharmed. Anything else and you’ll be the first to go, little man.” He nodded his head, “agreed”, he said as we both slid out of the booth. “You go first,” he said in a calm voice. I barked a laugh. “You must think me stupid, Francis, I’d turn my back on a rabid badger before I’d turn it on you.” Many of his hired locals laughed at the quip. He was infuriated though. “Alright asshole,” he began until I revealed from the folds of my jacket the shotgun. “Move, and if any of your people even breath wrong, you’re a dead man.” Needless to say, he began making a move toward the door.

To Be Continued.

{In-Studio - The Bane Ranch NV - “Worthy”}

I stand back under the boom mic in the studio at my home in Vegas. The nearby window shines the speck of daylight that’s left. It casts a long sliver of light as my daughter’s cat lays in it soaking up the little bit of warmth that’s left.

It’s funny, I spent all this time, trying to make peace with my past and proving to the fans that I was worthy of being their champion, worthy of having their trust again. I had destroyed one of my greatest rivals, Matt Knox in the rematch.

I openly smirk at the camera, and pursing my lips I continue.

It turns out that he prefers the safety of his gilded cage to retirement. Isn’t that right, Song Bird?

I shake my head in disgust.

Dumass. The next step was to defend my newly won title only to be defeated by another who has held that designation, greatest rival, over the years. I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it, Ken Davison winning that title from me is one of the proudest moments in my career. This was the first time we had faced each other with more than pride or hatred in the balance. It was a good fight.

A good fight

I smile at the camera as I recall the match and the things that led up to it.

I would later after that make the decision to start at the bottom and work my way back up into contention. Working my way back up there were some stumbling blocks. Having lost to Jack Washington along the way. I’ve also beaten some quality opponents as well.

It was then that I realized I was doing it again, subconsciously even. I knew that the cracks in my armor were starting to show and I had to stop that then and there.

In the meantime, I’ve watched and I’ve listened to what other people were saying. I watched Ken lose that title to Whelan. That was a sad day to be quite honest. Sad for him, the saviors, and the company.

I give the camera my best disappointed dad look I can as I continue.

It happens though, sometimes we are not nearly as ready for an opponent as we think we are.

I recall very vividly how Knox had taken me by surprise in order to capture the belt, to begin with.

The thing that bothered me was this guy pushing the rematch out, further and further. Whether it was mind games or just being an unprofessional prick, no one is really sure. It’s my belief that he’s thinking the same thing I am right now. He’s a one hit wonder and not capable to beating Ken again.

The smirk returns abruptly then disappear just as quickly, to be replaced by a sneer of contempt.

One thing you can be sure of, if you manage to beat Ken a second time, you’ll be seeing me a lot sooner than you think. Now I should really change gears to the task at hand…..

All facial expressions are gone, I’ve removed the emotion from my approach. This is now about business and nothing more.

As I live and breathe, Austin James Mercer, how the hell are ya?

I wink at the camera.

Problem description, you cost me money when you lost to Alexander Raven.

I sigh dramatically and stare at the lights as if asking god, why?

That really hurt, to be honest, and since I’m being honest I should state this loud and clear. I want to make sure you understand that I never had anything against The Wolf’s Lair in general, my problem was always with Alex Jones.

Looking back at the camera, the neutral expression remains.

That’s not entirely true, I grew weary of the constant, “How great we are.” bullshit coming out of your collective mouths.

I light a cigarette from the nearby pack as I continue to record.

Now then, as I recall, you left not long after he did if I remember correctly.

Cocking my head to the side, I  smile.

I thought there for a while that you had followed him into retirement.

The smile remains as I return my head to a neutral position.

I know he was a bit upset when I beat you both in the same month. I think that probably bothered him more than anything. You guys are so close and all. Ah, well, that’s in the past as they say, right?

I chuckle softly.
Right.

My amusement begins to grow at my own words.

So now you have a new look and a new direction and you’re back to battle the best in the company, in hopes of earning yourself another title shot.

I can feel my amusement build as I continue, trying to remain serious and professional.

Me too, my man, me too.

I had pointed at myself as I said it.

This will be a momentous night….

That’s when I lose it and begin laughing. I hold up my hand, asking for a moment and after several long seconds tick by. I pull myself together and address it.

A momentous occasion my ass! Two men fighting it out to see who’s really the best.

I hold up five fingers, and I lower them after each point.

Two former world champions out here trying to make a statement.

I lower my thumb.

Two men trying to make an impact.

I lower my index finger and soften my voice.

Two men out there trying to do something positive.

I bring my pinky finger down, and the smile remains in place.

To be the guy, the top talent in this company.

My ring finger comes down, leaving only the middle finger to stand tall.

The man to beat. I hold no title currently, but nothing has changed. I am still That Guy. That guy is still at the top of his game.

I extend my arm so that the “fuck you” is front and center and leaves no doubt as to my intent.

For the last two years, I’ve done nothing but dominate this division. I’ve held the world title three times. Three times over a 2 year period, I’m pretty proud of that.

I feel the beginnings of a type of manic, almost paralyzing emotions begin to surface again. I squash that down quickly.

Pretty proud.
With my emotions firmly in check, and barely remembering what I’ve even said, I power through.

Mercer, you should be proud as well, considering all your accomplishments. You are every bit as decorated as I am in this company and have plenty to be proud of. Things you can hang your hat on so to speak.

I remain in control as it threatens to surge back to the surface.

So to speak. Now where was I…”

I snap my fingers.

Right, my climb. My climb has not been without its setbacks, I’ve lost to Jack Washington along the way. All the great returns seem to be that way though, don’t they?

Smiling at the camera, I crush out the cigarette that I had somehow ignored almost completely.

You have to be able to overcome adversity when it’s presented or placed in your path. The last time we were in the ring together, I was defending the title against you and two other people.

With one hand I stick up 3 fingers then on the other a single finger.

I like transparency, so I’ll say this about that. I targeted you for a reason. I wanted to make sure that I sent a strong message to the locker room. Pinning the toughest sombitch in that match was the only way to do it.

I drop my hands to my sides and take off the black stetson cowboy hat.

It had to be you, nothing else was acceptable.

I pause for dramatic effect to allow that to sink in.

Plus I knew it would stick in Alex’s craw, and that by itself was its own reward. In case you were wondering, yes I relished it, it’s one of my favorite memories in my long career. Just knowing how he reacted to you being pinned by me.

I smirked but then regain my seriousness.

Just as I’m sure that you and a lot of others were happy to see me get pinned by Knox. Why not? Hell I hand-picked him and ended up having to defend him on social media by all the gatekeepers around here.

Still serious, I mutter….

Good times.

I pause again, finding my place and my voice again.

I know a lot has changed since then, you’re not the same man that you were, and neither am I.

I nod my head sagely as if some sort of wisdom had taken root in my mind.

We as a group don’t jump people anymore, that makes me a little sad sometimes but I digress.

I spread my arms wide and smile.

We’ve been out here doing things the right way once again and I’ll be honest, it’s been difficult at times to maintain that. That being said, when we meet in the ring, I’ll still offer to shake your hand before and after the match as a show of good faith.

I wink at the camera and then continue.

Well, if you or I are still conscious that is. We are men of violence and I look forward to sharing the ring with you once again.

I cock my head to the side again, revealing a small smile trying to tug at the corners of my mouth.

I can’t say that you’ll enjoy it

Still smiling I continue, building up to the strategy that I had planned to use.

I mean, how can I take you seriously when you couldn’t beat the king of the midcard titles? That still blows my mind, sad but true as the song goes.

I bring my arms back to my side.

Not that any of that matters to you, right? I mean seriously, why would it bother you that someone who’s not qualified to carry your fucking bags beat you?

I shake my head in disgust at the memory of that match.

I hope that all of these backhanded compliments, insults and threats have gotten under your skin and you come to the ring good and fucking angry. I hope you come for a fight and deliver the goods for the sake of this company and the people who paid to watch us fight.

Looking straight into the camera lens, all pretense of kindness or compassion now gone.

That’s the way I come to the ring every fucking time. I’ve owned every loss I’ve ever had in this business. Most of the time, I congratulated the men and women who scored a pinfall on me. I’ll do that very same thing for you if you show me a reason to.

I shake my head once again, in an effort to relay my doubt about his ability to deliver.

Give me a reason.

Holding my hands up in front of me in a namaste gesture…

If you don’t come with the fire and are ready to fight, it’ll turn out like my match with Vinnie did. Short and a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

I drop my hands to my side.

I won’t take you lightly. I will not take it easy. I will hit you as hard as I can every time I have that opportunity, you’ll be branded, shell-shocked, and feeling a little snake bit.

My eyes bore into the camera, leaving no uncertainty of my intent and intensity.

See, right now was a terrible time for us to meet, I’ve got way more important things to do than entertain the fans over your corpse. You’ve encountered me at a time when all I want is the blood of my enemies. We aren’t enemies away from the ring, it’s inside the ring that everyone is my enemy. So don’t take it personally, once you remove the emotions from it all it’s just business, ya know?

I had tried to soften the last part but I knew I failed to do so. So, instead of trying to backtrack, I just forge straight ahead.

Beat me if you can, because I have no intention of allowing you to survive.

I stand there for a moment and feel no regrets over anything I’ve said. So to close out the promo I look at the camera one last time.

Peace out bitch.