Author Topic: In Control  (Read 790 times)

Offline Jake Sullivan

• TAFKAR-The Artist Formerly Known As Rage
    • View Profile
    • Jake Sullivan
In Control
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
 ”Why did you do that?” Jake asks aloud, but quietly.  He, of course, is speaking to his newly discovered demon.  He is laying on his side in his hospital bed of the pediatric unit of the local hospital.  He appears to be unharmed, physically anyway, but the damage has been done mentally.  Jake simply could not take back what he had let happen.  The demon had killed his family, or so he believed, and it was all his fault.

”Oh come on, kid.  You know why I did it.  No one in your family was paying attention to you.  They were neglecting you and worrying more about poor innocent Phillip that they didn’t give a rat’s ass about you.  You needed just as much help as he did, but it was all about him as they made mistake after mistake.  I had to make them pay and you know it.  It’s why you let me out.”

A tear rolls down Jake’s cheek as he thinks about everything that happened tonight.  He could still smell the smoke on his skin.  He could still hear his family’s screaming.

“I didn’t know you were going to…” He sniffles again, stopping himself short of saying the words.  They were just too painful for him.  In his head, his demon was laughing at him.

”Okay, you’re young, so I’ll understand your denial right now.  You’re still scared, but you shouldn’t be.  You’re finally rid of all pain those people have caused you, kid.  I’m all you need now.  I’m all the protection you need in this world because only I can protect you.  What happened tonight is all the proof you need.”

“I want Grandma Sylvia…” Jake cries, rolling over to his other side.  Outside his hospital room window, he spots his grandmother speaking to one of the doctors.  Her eyes are swollen red and puffy from crying.  He wishes he could hear what they are saying.

”She is like the rest, Jake.  She doesn’t love you.  She knew what was going on in your family, but did she try to stop it?  Did she try to save you from all the pain you endured?  It’s too bad she was not in the house along with the others.”

“No!” Jake shouts loudly causing his grandmother and the doctor to look into his room.  After a second, they go back to their conversation.

“Grandma Sylvia has never done anything to me.  Don’t hurt her!” Jake hisses, keeping his eyes locked on his grandmother.

”EXACTLY, Jake!  She never did a damn thing to protect you!  She didn’t do anything to help your siblings either.  She deserves to pay just as much as that family of yours did.  There is still time, kid.”

Jake shakes his head and buries it into his pillow.  He’s so tired, but the demon just won’t let him sleep.  Why won’t he let him sleep?

“Go away!  I don’t like you!” He shouts into his pillow. “I want my family back!  I want to talk to Grandma Sylvia!”

Jake sits up, moving his legs over the side of the bed.  He is about to jump down to the floor when the demon’s voice stops him.

”Do NOT do that, Jake.  It will only cause you more pain.”

“No it won’t.” Jake replies. “Grandma Sylvia loves me.  She wouldn’t be here if she didn’t.”

”Newsflash, kid, she’s not here for you.  If she loved you, she’d be in here with you.  She knows you’re awake and you’re dealing with the loss of your family, but she refuses to step foot in here.  Trust me.  Stay in bed.”

“No.  I need to talk to her.”

”I cannot allow that, Jake.  You leave me no other choice.”

“No!  Not again!” Jake cries out before falling to the floor, convulsing and twitching as the demon takes over.

Out in the hallway…

“I will update you on any changes in Phillip’s condition, but right now, we need to address Jake’s condition, Mrs. Clark.” The doctor says, pulling Jake’s chart out from under the pile of medical charts in front of him.

“No,” she says, shaking her head. “I have no interest in discussing that child’s condition.”

“With all due respect, Mrs. Clark, Jake is sick.” The doctor says, opening Jake’s chart. “I’ve ordered a psychiatric evaluation for tomorrow, but I really feel Jake needs your support right now.  He believes his family is dead.”

Behind them, they don’t notice that Jake has opened the door.  He is standing in the doorway watching and listening to them intently with one hand behind his back, and the corner of his mouth turned up in the beginnings of a smile.

“I don’t care.  I’ve lost my daughter and my two other grandchildren because of that child!  I’ll sign whatever paperwork you need me to sign because he needs to be locked away!  That child is evil!”

Jake’s suddenly laughing startles both his grandmother and the doctor.  They turn to look at him.  His grandmother is noticeably nervous…scared almost.

“What’s wrong, Grandma?” Jake asks, taking a step towards them. “You look afraid.  Aren’t you happy to see me alive?”

The doctor looks at Jake with concern. “Hey, Jake.  What are you doing out of bed, buddy?  You need your rest.”

Jake smiles an evil smile as he continues approaching his grandmother. ”I wanted to see Grandma.  I want her to tuck me under my blanket.”

Jake’s grandmother wipes a tear away from her cheek as she leans on the nurse’s station desk.  She looks at Jake, doing her best not to seem afraid, but deep down she is.

“Jake, honey, I’ll be in there in just a minute okay?” She lies and Jake can read right through it. “I just need to finish talking to the doctor here.”

Jake shakes his head slowly as he creeps over to his grandmother. ”Liar!  You’re a God damn liar you old hag!”

Jake’s grandmother and the doctor are both taken aback at his sudden outburst.  His grandmother places a hand over her mouth, letting out a gasp.  A couple of nurses around them turn and stare at the situation, wondering if they should get involved.  The doctor whispers something to one of them, and she scurries off quickly.

“Jake, buddy…” The doctor says, taking a step towards him. “You’ve had a rough night tonight.  Let’s get you back in your bed, okay?”

Jake again shakes his head. ”No.  And doc, don’t call me buddy.  I’m not your buddy.  I just want to have a little conversation with my grandma here, but she won’t even look at me.  Will you, grandma?  LOOK AT ME!”

His grandmother jumps again as Jake shouts at her, but she refuses to look at him.  Jake shakes his head and with one final sadistic laugh, he pulls his hand from behind his back, revealing he is holding a scalpel in his hand!  He lunges for his grandmother, but the doctor is quick to grab a hold of him, wrapping his arms around the ten year old’s waist, holding him back.  Jake thrashes about, yelling and screaming, and as his arm flails around, he manages to cut the doctor with the scalpel instead.  This causes the doctor to break his hold on Jake, giving him another opportunity to try and attack his grandmother.  He doesn’t get that chance as the nurse and a security guard have made their way on to the scene.  The nurse is holding a syringe filled with a clear liquid in it.

”YOU SELFISH HAG!  YOU DON’T DESERVE TO LIVE!”

Jake’s grandmother is hysterical at this point, watching as the security guard subdues him to the floor.  The nurse removes the cap from the needle, plunging it into his arm.  A few seconds later the scalpel falls from Jake’s grasp, and shortly after that his fighting subsides as the sedative does its work.  Another nurse walks over to the doctor to check on him.

“I’m fine Anne.  Please go find some pediatric restraints.  I don’t want a repeat of this situation.” He says to her.  She nods and turns and walks away, and the doctor turns to Jake’s grandmother, who is sobbing uncontrollably.

“Are you alright, Mrs. Clark?” He asks, taking a step towards her.

She shakes her head. “No, I’m not alright!  Now do you see?!  Do you see what I am talking about?!  That child is evil, and I want nothing to do with him.”

Jake whimpers on the floor as the security guard keeps a hold of him just in case.  His head moves from side to side, and he turns to look at his grandmother.

“I’m…sorry…Grandma…” His words are slurred and almost incoherent, but they know what he said.  His grandmother looks at him, pointing a finger at him.

“You…You are no grandchild of mine!”  Without another word, she turns and walks away, refusing to give her confused grandchild anymore of her time.  

Tears begin falling down his cheek as the security guard gets back to his feet, holding Jake in his arms.  He carries Jake back into his hospital room, with the doctor and nurse behind him, and they restrain him to the hospital bed not just for the safety of the staff…but for his own.

”My life changed after that night.  My life was never considered normal after that point.  I was never considered normal.  I didn’t see my Grandmother again after that, but it’s not like I wanted to.  She had disowned me.  She didn’t give a damn that I was mentally ill.  And for that, I hated her.”

“You see, I wasn’t the one who set fire to my family’s home that night.  I wasn’t the one who had supposedly caused the deaths of four people that night, one of them being my six year old little brother.  No, that wasn’t me.  It was him. It was the demon.”

“As much as I’d like to deny it or change it, the demon is a part of me.  He always will be.  I can’t control that.  I can’t get rid of him.  I wish to hell I could, but no matter how hard I try, I can’t.”

“What I can CAN control, however, is WHEN and under what circumstances he is allowed to take over.  You see, the demon and I have different agendas and he will admit it just as much as I am right now.  He’s laughing at me as I speak to you all, but he knows that I’m speaking the truth.  He knows that I am officially done with this war with him, so we’re just gonna have to learn to get along.  Isn’t that right buddy?”

“The very first test of unity between the two of us starts this week.  Both of us wants nothing more than to walk into that ring against James Shark at Violent Conduct, but there is one thing that separates the both of us.  I don’t want to walk out of this match against Shark on the losing end.  I’ll beat Shark to a bloody pulp if it means walking away with the win, but as far as allowing him the win over me?  It’s not gonna fucking happen!  But the demon doesn’t give a shit about that.  He doesn’t understand how important winning against Shark really is.”

“While we both agree that Shark needs to get his ass beat, I think my priorities hold a little more importance over his.  If James Shark were to beat me, the bragging rights that motherfucker would have…Well, I’d never live that embarrassment down.  Who could?!  Who can honestly say that they want to face James Shark and not give a shit if they win or lose?  Oh that’s right…my fucking demon counterpart can, and continues to do so!”

“I will admit, Shark is the best at what he does.  That son of a bitch knows how to talk trash and do it to the point where even if he were to just give it all up and suddenly be a nice guy, people would still hate him!  I know I sure as hell would.  Shark and his pathetic followers on Twitter like to start shit with me…egg me on.  That’s fine and dandy.  I never claimed to be good at trash talking my opponent, because I don’t need to.  I don’t need to attack my opponents with words to have an effect on them.  All I need is my God damn fists!”

“Anyone who knows me…truly knows me will tell you that’s the truth.  Each and every time I step into that ring I show my opponents I mean business.  I don’t stand in the ring taunting the guys I’m facing.  I don’t stand there yelling at them or getting in their face and spewing out insult after insult thinking it has an effect on them.  No…I go in there and I beat the shit out of them, because that’s what I fucking do!”

“So, yes, I care about winning this match.  I want to win this match…I NEED to win this match, because let’s face it, if I don’t, I’ll be the laughing stock of everyone around.  James Shark has been in SCW just a couple of weeks, and people are already tired of him!  They couldn’t stand him the second he signed.  People in SCW only had just heard about how Shark was before he signed his contract, but once they all experienced his constantly running mouth, they were begging for someone to shut him up.”

“Well guess what?  The person to finally shut him up is going to be ME.  He won’t like it, but it’s a fact that he can’t do a damn thing to change.  The more he talks, the angrier I get and the more I am able to keep control and really focus on doing what needs to be done to beat him, because I CAN and WILL do just that.”

“He’s been relatively quiet so far this week, and I know why.  He won’t admit it.  He’ll deny it and say I’m stupid, but I know the truth.  Not only is James Shark distracted with the latest tabloid news of him knocking up Brooklyn Carter, but as it gets closer and closer to Violent Conduct, he’s getting more and more scared…Especially now with Brooklyn springing that bit of information on him.  Like I said, I fully expect him to deny that, but like I give a shit.”

“He’s using his cockiness as part of his denial.  Shark knows what he’s going up against.  He knows he shouldn’t be underestimating me even though he’s doing just that, but he’s putting on a brave front for all of his so called fans and the James Shark Fan Club.  I’m going to be the one to kill that fan club, Sharky boy, because at Violent Conduct, your fans will finally see that you’re all talk and no bite.  You may have fifty-four career wins, but you won’t be getting a win against me.”

“I’m in control now, and I plan to stay in control.  I want to beat you and I will.  There’s not a damn thing you can say that will change that.  It’s a good thing you’ve been quiet the past couple of days since your new ‘baby momma’ broke the news to you, because I don’t think you realize just how much everything you says will affect the outcome of our match.  You constantly tell me to shut the fuck up, but if you want to stand any chance at beating me Shark, it is YOU who needs to keep his mouth shut, because your words only feed my anger even more…as well as the demon’s.”

“Be thankful that I am in control right now, Shark, because if you were to step into the ring against my demon, things wouldn’t end well for you.  You see, I’m not one that would risk getting myself disqualified, because that to me is a loss.  But my demon…that’s a different story.  He wants to hurt you, Shark.  He wants to END you, and if he were to be in control at any point during our match, he might do just that, and he wouldn’t think twice about his actions against you.  He wouldn’t give a shit about getting himself disqualified, as long as it meant causing you the pain we both know you deserve.”

“One way or another, Shark, you’ll feel that pain at Violent Conduct.  For months I’ve had to watch and listen to you run your mouth on Twitter and now all over SCW, and I’m going to put an end to it.  You’ve used me as a means for your constant jokes, and after this Sunday, you’re finished.  Do you understand me?  After Violent Conduct, you’ll know once and for all that I am not someone you want to fuck with, because one way or another, you’ll get what’s coming to you.  That’s a fucking promise, Shark.”

“Turn that around however the hell you want.  At Violent Conduct, you’ll wish you never started this war.”

Tokyo, Japan

The Sins had had a fairly nice evening last night as the group had gone to Kota Steakhouse for dinner.  The night wasn’t without its fair share of comedy, though, as everyone had gotten a few laughs out of Despayre’s attempt at learning how to use chopsticks.  Everyone had gotten a laugh or two out of watching him, though the only one to hide his amusement was, of course, Rage.  The rest of the Sins had noticed he hadn’t exactly been himself lately, and while most of them had thought it best not to question the big man about it, their leader, Synn, had other plans.

Ever since what they had all witnessed during the flight to China a couple of weeks back, Synn had been keeping a closer eye on Rage.  Rage had denied there was anything wrong, but Synn read straight through the lies and was expecting something much more serious to come from this situation, and while the others involved themselves in their own conversations at dinner, Rage remained silent.  After they finished their meal, everyone retreated back to their own rooms for the night.  Rage gave himself a head start, heading towards the elevators without saying a single word to the others.  He stared straight ahead, and as the others trailed behind him, Synn listened carefully as Rage would let out what he thought was a quiet inaudible growl.

“What do you think is wrong with him?” Shane, The Sin of Pride, asked appearing next to Synn.

“I’m not sure, Shane.  He can deny it all he wants, but there is something very wrong going on with him, and I’ve got a bad feeling about it.” Synn replies quietly as they all stop and wait for the elevators.  Both he and Shane keep their eyes on Rage who doesn’t even acknowledge them.

“Kittie is suddenly the sane one between the two of them, and that is something I never thought I would admit.” Shane says with a laugh.  He made it a point to say it loud enough, expecting a reaction from Rage, but that statement falls on deaf ears it would seem, though it didn’t slide past Kittie.

“I heard that!” She says, folding her arms and glaring at Shane.

“You weren’t the person I was expecting to get a response from Kittie.” Shane replies. “What’s up with you lately, Baldy?”

Rage doesn’t give Shane so much as a sideways glance.  He just stares at the elevator doors, waiting for them to open.  Synn has finally had enough, and just as the elevator doors open and Rage is about to step inside, Synn grabs a hold of his arm, and yanks him back.

“I don’t think so, Rage.” He says, having gotten Rage’s attention. “You and I are going to have a little chat.  Shane, Fantasia…would you two mind watching Joshua for a few minutes while I speak with Rage?”

Rage yanks his arm away from Synn’s grasp. “Can’t this wait until tomorrow?  I’d like to get some sleep.”

“Oh stop with the lies already, Rage.  You haven’t slept in days, if not longer.”  Synn replies.

As the tension starts to escalate, Gabriel and Kittie step inside the elevator.  Shane and Fantasia lead a disappointed Despayre inside behind them.

“Ooooh…Rage is in trouble!” Despayre says as the elevator doors close, leaving Rage and Synn there by themselves.  Rage folds his arms and glares at Synn, but doesn’t say a word.

“Something is going on with you, Rage, and you’re going to tell me what it is right now.  Don’t even think about lying either, because I’ll know if you try.” Synn says.

Rage’s nostrils flare as Synn demands answers from him.  Inside his head, the demon is smiling and laughing.

”Go ahead and tell him the truth, Jakey boy.  Tell him all about me.  Better yet, how about I take control and tell him myself?”

“Fuck you!” Rage says aloud, thinking he was saying it in his head.  Synn, and a few other hotel guests standing several feet away look at Rage in shock.

“Excuse me?” Synn asks, narrowing his eyes at Rage.

Rage shakes his head. “Not you, Synn.”

Synn appears just a little more confused. “Then who exactly was it aimed at?”

”Oh this ought to be good.  Damn where is the popcorn when I need it.  You’re about to get yourself a one-way ticket to a nice padded room, Jakey boy!”

Rage moves his eyes to look upward and growls, and Synn just watches…waiting for his response.

“Don’t worry about it.  You wouldn’t understand.”  Rage replies as he runs his hand over his head.

“Surely you know me better than that.  You do remember that Kittie has several alters we’ve had to deal with on a daily basis, so whatever it is that you are going through, I’m sure we’ll all understand.” Synn replies trying to reassure the big man.

”Have Kittie’s alters ever tried to kill someone?”

“Oh would you shut up already?!” Rage shouts and he slams his fist against the wall.

Synn shakes his head and presses the button to the elevator. “That’s it.  First thing in the morning, I’m calling either Christian or Mark and putting a stop to your match.”

Rage shakes his head. “Don’t you dare, Synn!  I’m perfectly capable of dealing with James Shark, so don’t even think about calling Christian or Mark.”

”As if Synn, Christian Underwood or Mark Ward could really stop me from getting a hold of James Shark and ending him?  HA!  I don’t think so.”

“No, you’re not.  I don’t know what is going on with you, and you won’t tell any of us.  This match could pose a serious risk to you, and honestly, it can wait.”

"No it can't Synn!" Rage snarls. "Do you know how that will look for me if you try and get them to postpone this match?  Shark is already starting a bunch of bullshit saying I 'ducked' him for months and that I declined his bullshit challenge."

"I thought that was funny, myself.  After all, it was me who declined that supposed challenge of his."

"Since when do you care what anyone says?  Your health comes first, and if--"

"Synn, I'm perfectly healthy!" Rage says, cutting Synn off. "I'm more than capable of going through with this match, so please, don't try and stop it."

"You know you won't be the one stepping into that ring against James Shark, right?  I won't allow it."

The elevator doors open once again, but neither of them step inside right away. Rage ignores his demon inside his head.

"If you show James Shark any sign of weakness, he will use it against you.  One mistake, Rage.  That's all it takes." Synn says.

"I won't let that happen.  Right, Jakey boy?"

"I'm done listening to your lies, Rage.  Either you tell me what is going on right now, or I make that phone call first thing in the morning.  I don't give a damn what James Shark or anyone else will say about it either.  So what's it going to be?" Synn issues Rage the ultimatum, then steps inside the elevator, waiting for Rage to follow.

"Why does it even matter, Synn?"

"Because you've worked too hard to throw it all away on one careless mistake or another.  Now, are you going to tell me what us going or not." Synn looks at him and waits.  Rage holds his arm in front of the elevator, trying to make a decision.  After a couple of minutes, he takes a deep breath then steps inside next to Synn.

"Telling you isn't going to change a thing, but if you really want to know, fine.  Just don't say shit to the others." Rage says, forecfully hitting the appropriate button for their floor.

"I'm sure you will tell them when you want them to know."

"Just like he's waiting for you to tell them about what happened between the two of you all those years ago."

Rage closes his eyes and growls. "This is gonna be a long night..."

The doors then close and the elevator heads up to their floor and the scene fades out.