Author Topic: Chasing Another Golden Opportunity  (Read 1877 times)

Offline TheLyonsDen

• View Profile
Chasing Another Golden Opportunity
« on: November 24, 2023, 10:53:04 AM »
When was Eddie going to break the cycle? Twice now he’s won matches on Climax Control, earned a championship match only to come up short, and now once again Eddie finds himself lined up for yet another championship opportunity, once again getting the chance to dethrone the dominant reign of Peter Vaughn. Will the third time be the charm for Eddie Lyons, or will he step a third time only to strike out?

Before he has his championship opportunity, he has another obstacle to overcome in one of SCW’s top wrestlers, a man who has been with the company for several years and even earned the right to call himself World Champion at one point in Austin James Mercer.

A win over Mercer would indeed provide a boost to Eddie's confidence going into his match with Peter Vaughn, and would certainly help continue his momentum coming off Eddie's previous victory over Rodrigo Afonso.[/i]

—-------
3:24  PM on  a Monday
Local Tempe Gym
Tempe, Arizona
Off-Camera

—-------

Another city, another local gym. While it wasn’t as high end as The Lyons Den, it did the job well enough. Eddie wished it had some wrestling rings, but that was a bit much to ask, this was a regular everyman's gym, they weren’t training wrestlers or other fighters here.

Eddie sat on a bench, wiping some sweat off his chest after finishing a session with Coach Kaiser on the weight benches, taking the time for a short break between sessions. After taking a large swig of water from his water bottle.

“Hey, you ever wonder why me?” asked Eddie.

“What do you mean?” asked Kaiser in reply as he took a seat next to Eddie, a water bottle of his own, “Why you what?”

“I mean, I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining..” Eddie started, “But SCW keeps allowing me these championship opportunities, even though I’ve failed to bring home the gold twice, they’ve allowed me to try once again. I know I’ve been winning my Climax Control matches, but at what point do they decide to stop giving me these chances?”

“When you stop earning them.” said Kaiser, patting Eddie on the shoulder,“I mean if you ask me maybe they WANT you as a champion, because they believe you are someone who can properly represent their company. You’re still undefeated on Climax Control, and technically you’ve never been pinned in SCW. Management notices things like that, plus you have a good attitude and that will always play into your favor.”

“Maybe you’re right.” said Eddie,some doubt still lingering in his voice, “Just when I keep getting close, and just missing the mark,it makes one question themselves. Am I just a choke artist?”

“That sort of mindset is what will keep you from becoming the champion I know you can be.. " said Kaiser, “I know you have it in you, you need to shake that doubt out of your mind, because you are good enough, and you are in no way a choke artist.”

“I should probably tell you..I’ve been getting some weird visions.” said Eddie with a sigh

Kaiser raised an eyebrow and listened as Eddie explained

“It’s usually when I’m alone, and just thinking about the trajectory of my career.” Eddie explained, “It’s as though I’m talking to this..shadow of myself and it tries to push me to become a more darker version of myself I guess would be the easiest way to explain it.

Kaiser sighed and nodded slightly, he knew this was going t come up sooner or later.

“It’s because you’re a Lyons” he said, “Your uncles, your father…they all dealt with it too. Your uncle Vincent even had a name for his.

“...Syth” Eddie said, he had heard stories of when his eldest uncle and his penchant for violence at one point.

“Exactly.” said Kaiser “I think he originated the name as some Star wars thing, but it’s something that now resides in all of your family. Your father and Uncle Zachary never named their darker side, but they dealt with it too. Your father, he seemed to have a decent handle on his, which is probably why you have a strong hold over your own. Your cousins, well they seem to be embracing theirs more each day, especially with their new contracts.”

“How come I was never told about this?” said Eddie.

“It was hoped maybe you would be the one to be clear of it” said Kaiser, “But I believe you can still fight it. Look what happened to Victoria, to Vincent and even to Alex now. That’s not you. I can’t really help you much with that fight, but I know you can do it. Just remember, that it’s all just a figment of your own insecurities, and it’s not really you.”

“I have no intentions of giving in.” said Eddie, “I know who I am, and I will always fight with honor and respect. It’s what my father taught me. If I have to be the one to break the cycle, I will.”

“Absolutely. That’s the right attitude! .” said Coach Kaiser, “Hey you still want to come to my place for Thanksgiving right?”

“Yeah.” said Eddie, “My mom and dad want to do something just the two of them, Cleo’s doing some volunteer thing up in Brooklyn, and I REALLY don't want to spend it with my cousins.”

“I don’t blame you.” said Coach Kaiser, “Victoria would just ramble on about celebrating Native casualties or something, and call us sheeple or something. But yeah, we got an extra seat for you., Marissa won’t mind.”

“Sounds good then.” Eddie said as the two shared a fist bump.

“C’mon, lets get back to it, get some more sets in.” said Kaiser, as he led Eddie back to another round of workout.

—-------
7:24  PM on  a Tuesday
Nonspecific Location
Tempe, Arizona
On-Camera

—-------

The cameras open on Eddie Lyons, with Coach Kaiser standing just behind him, in their usual fashion. Eddie in his jean jacket, t-shirt and jeans combo. Today choosing to wear a simple Sin City Wrestling t-shirt, and Kaiser in his 49ers jersey.  After the camera lingers for just a moment Eddie begins to address his opponent for the week, one Austin James Mercer.

“You know Austin, we’re sort of in the same boat here are we not?” asked Eddie, “We’re both sort of questioning ourselves aren’t we? You wonder if you are good enough anymore, and me wondering if I am really good enough to keep up with the top talent as I try to make my own career here. Both of us have recently come up short in championship matches in recent memory as well. So honestly, I sort of understand where your mind is at right now Austin.”

Eddie smirks, chuckles to himself raising up one finger.

“Oh of course, we haven’t properly met have we?” said Eddie, “My name is Eddie Lyons, maybe you’ve heard of me? The new guy that’s been turning heads and catching the eyes of management, and will likely be one of SCW’s very best going into it’s next few years. I might be a new face around here, not even around for a year yet but by no means should you underestimate me. I have all the respect for what you’ve accomplished here in SCW but you have to understand there’s some new faces coming in, and at the forefront of them all is Eddie Lyons."

He raps a finger on his own chest twice, for effect.

“I’m not even sure what you think of me, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough.” Eddie continued, “But I see you as an obstacle, I beat a former SCU Underground Champion in Helluva Bottom Carter already, and now it’s time I defeat a former SCW World Champion in Austin James Mercer. I’m not some cocky, arrogant young kid with an overinflated ego. I know what it means to defeat a superstar of your standard and I take that very seriously. You might see yourself as someone who’s plateaued or is perhaps in the twilight of their career, but for me you’re  an established name. With all due respect to Rodrigo, a victory over you would mean more for my career than both my victories over him because of what you’ve done in this company already. You are a benchmark talent for someone like me, and I will do whatever it takes to put you down.”

Eddie takes a short pause, to take in a quick breath.

“Wherever you think your career is headed is your own business, and for you to deal with.” Eddie continued, “Maybe when I’m five to six years into my SCW career, it’s something I’ll understand a bit more, but right now I’m just focused on my own rise, and making sure I have one helluva rookie year here in SCW. The fact I get to compete with talent like yourself, HBC and even Peter Vaughn tells me that I am someone that SCW sees as a cornerstone of their future. It proves to me in my mind that I am the rookie standard in SCW. I get better each and every week and it’s only a matter of time before I win a championship of my own. The Roulette Championship is within my grasp, just as the Internet Championship is within yours. We could both be champions in a few weeks time, or one of us could be, or none of us could be. What I do know is, we have to deal with each other right now and you will NOT be the one to break me. If you want to play rough, then I can get with that. But my drive, my spirit is something like you’ve never faced before in your career Austin, that I can promise you.”

Another short pause and a breath.

“I’m not a man who makes excuses.” said Eddie, “I know exactly how I look to some around here. I win a few matches, but when it comes to bringing home the championship, I’ve failed to get the job done…twice. But instead of letting that break me, I let it drive me, I let it push me to get better, because I know deep down one day I will win, I will bring home a championship. All I can do is keep doing the best I can, and I’ll admit some weeks are better than others. But I always show up and I always give it my best shot. When I’m five years into my career here I want people to look at Eddie Lyons the way I’m looking at talent like yourself, like HBC or J2H. I want to be the one people wish to beat because it makes them challenge themselves. You better knuckle up, because you have a helluva fight coming your way.”

Eddie’s eyes seem to light up as he speaks with fire and determination.

“I just hope you bring me the best Austin James Mercer.” Eddie continued, “Whatever it is you need to do, bring me the best Austin James Mercer you can because that’s who I want, no that’s who I NEED to beat. My hand will be raised when the smoke settles, and I’ will go on to finally capture a championship when I put an end to Peter Vaughn, and I will do it all with HONOR BEFORE GLORY.

Eddie keeps his determined gaze on the camera, as Coach Kaiser rests a hand on his shoulder, saying nothing but also giving his own look of confidence and pride in his student, as the scene fades out.

—-------