Author Topic: “The Rise of the Avenger Part IV: Generational Clash!”  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Harper Mason

• View Profile
“The Rise of the Avenger Part IV: Generational Clash!”
« on: November 07, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »
Harper had managed to regain her momentum following her loss to Bea Barnhart by beating Laura Phoenix in what ended up being Laura’s retirement match, however the bosses weren’t done booking the youngster against the veterans of the Bombshell Division it seems because this week Harper was talking on the two time Hall of Famer and Grand Slam Champion Mercedes Vargas! Mercedes was a long time enemy of Jessie’s their rivalry dating as far back as the early days of SCW when Harper was still a pre-teen but does Harper feel the same way Jessie does of the Argentinian Bombshell? And more importantly, can Harper secure her third win in SCW?

Harper’s home, Las Vegas, Nevada
Monday the 6th of November 2023, 11:00am

You know you’ve had a busy weekend when the best you can do for the fed you just joined is to send in a pre-taped interview from your hotel room in another part of the country.

But that was the situation I found myself in last night, Empire Pro had booked me in the Semi-Main Event of their Twisted Twilight show in a Primetime Championship Match against Melody Slayton and unlike the last few times Empire Pro booked me on the same day as a Climax Control episode? This wasn’t one where I could just show up, wrestle and then head back to Climax Control in time for the second or third match, there was no getting around the fact that I was going to miss last night’s show.

In other words? This was the only night in recent memory where I can confidently say that I was relieved that SCW didn’t book me!

That wasn’t the case next week though, because as I was leaving Empire Pro’s homebase (I can’t really talk about how the match went until the show airs) I got the new card text from SCW, they had booked me against Mercedes Vargas, a true legend of the Bombshell Roster, a two time Hall of Famer, a Grand Slam Champion, and a generally well respected veteran of the SCW ring having been in SCW since it’s early years.

She also happens to be one of Jessie’s most hated rivals.

I’m not a hundred percent sure on what the story is there, Jessie only said that she and Mercedes’s rivalry dates as far back as to when The Mean Girls were still a thing and refused to elaborate, the other most notable thing is that Mercedes isn’t been able to replicate her early success for a few years now.

I’m pretty sure this match is happening because they want to see how I do against a wrestler of Mercedes’ calibre, personally? I’m excited to see how my all rounder style of wrestling does against

”Note to self, next time I send in a pre-taped promo for an episode of Climax Control? Actually write a script!” I commented to myself as I watched the pre-taped promo on my laptop from last night’s Climax Control, Jessie was sitting on the couch behind me stroking Logan whilst Xavier lay at her feet. ”Or at least not make everything up on the fly! Jess, what do you make of the opponents they’ve put me against since my debut?”

”Well, aside from your debut opponent? Who hasn’t been seen since she and her brother got their asses kicked by Kayla and Finn? The bosses seem content in testing you against the Bombshell Divisions’ veterans.” Jessie responded as she turned to me and I turned to her after pausing the taped promo. ”It makes sense from my point of view, you’re still in your rookie year, and you’ll learn a lot by wrestling veterans like Laura and Bea, but at some point you’re going to have to be ready for when they enter you in the Bombshell Roulette Division.”

”At this point I’d be surprised if I enter the title scene before I turn twenty, the bosses probably still have bad experiences from when they hired that French Rookie from the Go Gym, what was her name again? Adrienne?” I asked and Jessie nodded at both of my questions. ”I know she quit because her mental health was suffering but the fact that she tried to step up to Amber a week after her debut says a lot.”

”On one hand it sucks that she never even got to make her High Stakes debut, on the other hand? Who knows how bad her mental health would’ve gotten if she had stayed? And look, I like Katie and Caleb but Katie was clearly out of her depth as her manager.” Jessie added and I quickly nodded in agreement. ”To the point where I’ve used her SCW run as a “what not to do” guide for managing wrestlers in SCW, I’ve been careful about how I’ve managed your career so far and I wonder if this run against veterans is what they had in mind for Adrienne before she pulled that stunt.” Jessie added before frowning as she shifted her weight. ”That said? I can’t help but feel that your next match is on purpose.”

”Because it’s your little cousin against one of your oldest rivals right? I don’t care what your beef with Mercedes is because frankly? It dates back to the time when I was a pre-teen who thought that boys were gross! Err, sorry if I made you feel old there.” I added and Jessie just shook her head with a chuckle. ”But this is about me and my career! As a wrestler I’ve had no strong opinions on Mercedes for a long time, her biggest accomplishments were from before I got into wrestling, I just saw her as an old Bombshell who they trotted out whenever they felt it was time for a title defence or a contenders match.”

”And to be fair? That opinion is far from unpopular, or inaccurate.” Jessie nodded in response as she folded her arms. ”Mercedes has been living in a delusional fantasy of relevancy for years now Harp, she’s over fifty years old for fuck’s s sake but the bosses treat her like a threat to any champion or newcomer like yourself.”

”Yeah, I guess, wait, she’s that old?!” I asked with a shocked look on my face. ”She barely looks older than you and you’re turning thirty four on New Year’s Day!”

”I know, and I’ve debated for years whether I should chalk that up to good genetics or plastic surgery!” Jessie responded with a nod as I brushed some hair over my shoulder. ”Look kid, all those people who say that Mercedes is past it? They have years of experience on you, you’re not even out of your rookie year yet, don’t underestimate her, she can be a tricky bitch! She wrestled Masque to a Double DQ Draw for fuck’s sake!”

”Thanks for reminding me why I’m glad that I joined SCW this year instead of last year!” I responded with a shudder and it didn’t take Jesie long to figure out why. ”Also, you’re saying that because your worried that this match will be a repeat of the Bea Barnhart Match, aren’t you?”

”Bea used your inexperience and the rules against you and it cost you your second match, you regained your confidence and momentum with that win over Laura, and I’d be lying if I said that winning the FCW Great Lakes Championship didn’t help in that department, but Mercedes is a veteran and she will take advantage of any mistake you make.” Jessie added before she stood up and walked over to me. ”Don’t underestimate her.”

”Wait, that’s it?” I asked as I turned to the older woman and Jessie cocked her head to the side, waiting for me to elaborate. ”No grand strategy on beating Mercedes? After you spent most of your career with her at your throat?!”

”Because you and I are completely different wrestlers and people Harp.” Jessie responded as she shook her head before she sat down on a nearby chair. ”I spent most of my career as a pure high flyer, it wasn’t until I was in my thirties that I started incorporating submissions into my game, you aren’t even twenty, an all-rounder type wrestler and I’m pretty sure your parents were lovesick teenagers when she was in her prime, don’t treat this as another chapter in my rivalry with her, treat it as another chapter in your journey through the Bombshell Division ranks.”

Jessie was right but I still had some things om my mind, not just in SCW but elsewhere too! But I knew there was two places I could go to unwind tomorrow.

First up was the Go Gym, I wasn’t’ a graduate there for obvious reasons but since Jessie made amends with Gabriel during the Unsolved Mysteries Tour I had been getting reps there as well, the other place?

Hero Academy, the place I trained at, and in all honesty? The second option seems like a no brainer to me.

Hero Academy, Las Vegas, Nevada
Tuesday the 7th of November 2023, 11:00am

Things have been pretty quiet since High Stakes truth be told.

Sure, there’s been an influx of new students lately and my success in the wrestling world has no doubt had an effect on that but since Keira officially called it  day on her career at High Stakes? Things have been on the downlow.

That, off course, hasn’t stopped me from working out here, and at the moment? That meant me kicking away at the punching bag.

“What the hell Zara? That kick was way to stiff.” I glanced up and saw two of the new students, a taller brunette girl, and a shorter redhead, arguing in a ring not too far from me. “Did you forget what Keira told us already?”

“Says the person who nearly gave me a broken nose with a forearm!” Zara responded and I frowned before I entered the ring, trying to play peacekeeper.

”Hey, hey, chill, I know this is your first day but arguing with another student will get you guys nowhere.” The two women glanced over at me as I walked up to them. ”I only caught part of the argument, what’s going on?”

“Me and Mickie were having a sparring match, then she threw a forearm that could’ve broken my nose if I hadn’t pulled away in time.” Zara explained as I leaned against the ring ropes with my arms crossed. “I thought “okay, if that’s how you want to play, let’s play rough” and returned the favour with a stiff kick!”

”How stiff? Don’t forget, I’m a black belt in Taekwondo, I can definitely out kick both of you.” I asserted and Zara quickly shook her head. ”If you want me to go home and get my martial arts gear, I will.”

“I’ve seen your kicks, I’d know a black belt anywhere, because I’m a second degree black belt in the same martial art.” Zara responded before throwing some air kicks to show off her skills, honestly? Yeah, I could see it, I’d probably be a second degree black belt myself if my lessons weren’t stopped by the pandemic honestly. “As for your question? It was pretty stiff but it could’ve been a lot worse.”

“That’s comforting.” Mickie responded as she rolled her eyes and I glanced over at the shorter girl. “Why are we listening to Harp anyway? It’s not like she’s a trainer here.”

”You’re right, I’m not, but I can report anything you two have said to me to Keira and she won’t be happy about this.” I responded as I folded my arms and the two girls winced as it hit them. ”Or do I need to remind you off the story behind this school’s first expulsion?”

“Who? Taylor?” Zara asked and I quickly nodded in response, nothing like referring to that idiot to bring two gun ho rookies back to earth. “Hey, I’m sorry for throwing that kick at you.”

“And I’m sorry for nearly breaking your nose.” Mickie responded before they wisely separated, though I did go with Zara because she seemed a little fired up.

”Is everything okay Zara?” I asked the taller woman and she glanced over at me. ”You just seem a little fired up.”

“Mickie’s been declaring that she’s the best new student here already, I challenged her to that sparring match hoping to shut her up.” Zara shrugged her shoulders in response and I nodded as I got the idea. “What I didn’t expect was for her to take the first stiff shot, it’s a good thing that my reflexes are as good as they are because we’d be having this conversation in the medical room otherwise.”

”Not to mention all the trouble Mickie would’ve gotten into with Team Hero for breaking someone’s nose on her first day.” I added and Zara quickly nodded in agreement. ”So where did you get your Taekwondo training? I did most of mine when I was still living in Orlando and was set to continue when we moved to Vegas in 2020.”

“Let me see if I can finish that sentence for you, then the pandemic happened?” Zara asked and I quickly nodded to confirm that was the case. “I can sympathize, I was learning how to play the guitar at the time but when lockdown hit I wasn’t able to learn at the same rate over vid chat, not to mention all the noise complaints I got.”

”Been meaning to learn how to play myself but just haven’t found time, especially with my wrestling career taking off like it has.” I responded with a nod before getting an idea. ”Maybe we can get together and jam sometime?”

“Sounds good to me.” Zara responded with a grin before we returned to training.

Harper’s loft, Las Vegas, Nevada
Tuesday the 7th of November 2023, 21:00pm

*promo time*

From one veteran to another.

”Is it just me or are the bosses content with throwing me against the veterans? Because so far the only person I’ve wrestled in SCW who’s within the same age range as me is Jane and she and her brother haven’t been seen in weeks.” I commented after I turned the camera on. ”Bea Barnhart, and I’ve ranted enough about the end of that match by this point, Laura Phoenix in her retirement match no less! Talk about putting pressure on a rookie Bombshell’s shoulders! And my fourth match in SCW may just prove to be my toughest challenge yet, is she a veteran like Laura and Bea? Yes, but she’s also a two time Hall of Famer, a Grand Slam Champion and just as the cherry on top, she’s one of Jessie’s oldest and fiercest rivals! Hola Mercede!”

This will be god.

”And hola is literally the only Spanish word I know! Well, that and Si but that didn’t really work in the context!” I added as I let out a deep breath. ”Look Mercedes, whatever beef you have with Jessie is with her, I’m not Jessie! Not only am I taller than Jessie and wrestle a completely different style, but I’m a much nicer person than Jessie ever was! Don’t go into this match treating me since a teenaged Jessie with dirty blonde hair, that will be your first and last mistake!”

Wait a minute.

”Why exactly am I giving my opponent advice heading into a match with me? Especially one as well seasoned as Mercedes? Not to mention the fact that she’s SCW’s resident historian, though saying that it’s been months since she last posted about what Climax Control or PPV event happened on this day years ago!” I commented before shaking my head. ”But you must be at least familiar with me as a Bombshell, right Mercedes? Because beyond being Jessie’s cousin, my rookie year is ending after December 2 Dismember IV in a few weeks yet I already have two titles to my name!” I added as I motioned to the two titles behind me, the KCW TV Championship on my mantlepiece and the FCW Great Lakes Championship on the chair behind me. ”But I bet that’s poultry to you, right Mercedes? You have earned so much over your career that it’s shocking to me that they’d even put me against up, at least on paper.”

Here we go.

”I’m going to be honest here and make you feel old in the process Mercedes, most of your biggest accomplishments in the wrestling business? They happened when I was eight or nine years old on a military base somewhere in the world because my mom gave birth to me when my dad was still in the US Army! I don’t really have a strong opinion on those accomplishments because they happened before I was even a wrestling fan!” I added as I brushed some hair over my shoulder. ”I didn’t really get into wrestling until I was sixteen if we’re being honest and by that point I was already a standout in High School Wrestling, so yeah, there’s a bit of a generational clash here, isn’t there Mercedes?”

But.

”Furthermore? I don’t care how much experience you have over me you will regret underestimating me because of my age and experience level, don’t forget that I was trained by Team Gero, another pair of wrestling legends who are still around, or were in Keira’s case, and unlike you? They’ve managed to maintain their relevancy over the years whilst you’ve fallen off big time!” I added as I shook my head. ”Look, I was trying to be a nice girl and not bring this up, but your record with titles of the past few years has been shocking, hasn’t it Mercedes?”

Yep.

”One Mixed Tag Title reign with Goth, if you ask Jessie? She’d say that Goth did all the work, I haven’t gotten that far into my rewatch of Climax Control episodes so I can’t really comment on whether that’s true, but what is true is that it’s been years since you last held a singles title.” I added as I brushed some hair over my shoulder. ”Now, I’m hardly one to talk about titles, if I do enter next year’s Blast from the Past Tournament it’ll be to gain some more experience under my belt rather than a title around my waist, same goes for any title shots I get over the next couple of months really, but it can’t be denied that you’re a shell of your former self Mercedes!”

It's that simple.

”What can I say? I’m the kind of gal who prefers to take her time with stuff like that.” I added as I flipped some hair over my shoulder. ”But let’s be honest here Mercedes, a raw rookie like me getting a win over someone as accomplished as you? That’s going to do wonders for my stock in the Bombshell rankings, regardless of what people think of you as a wrestler or as a person, me? I try to enter each match with respect for my opponent, there will be times where I have to make exceptions for that but I’ve yet to find an opponent who’s angered me that much, but even my respect for you as my adversary can only go so far Mercedes!”

And with that I decided to wrap things up.

”Because I have no plans on getting my first draw as a wrestler anytime soon, now getting my first win over a Hall of Famer? That’s a completely different story!” I added as I leaned back in my chair. ”But at Rise of the Avenger Part IV: Generational Clash? I’ll be out to do two things, impress the most important people I can and send my stock skyrocketing in the Bombshell Division, far as I see it? There’s only one way I can do that, to get the win over you Mercedes because the world needs a new hero and her name is “The Slaytanic Avenger” Harper Mason! I’ll see you on Sunday Mercedes!”

I turned off the camera as the scene fades.