Author Topic: Endeavor XVIII  (Read 456 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Endeavor XVIII
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:58:51 PM »
 Blog: Almighty Fire

semana del 14 al 21 de junio de 2 0 2 0

So here we are.

A little more than two weeks removed from another SCW pay-per-view, and I walked out with nothing to show for it. Or did I? At Into the Void, six women fought, scratched and clawed their way to scale a 15-foot ladder and grab what essentially was a golden opportunity that was too good to pass up. Six women entered the Queen for a Day ladder match, but only one left as the last woman standing. Given the amount of talent involved, whoever won the match would have had bragging rights for life.

Excuses, I have none. Regrets, none in the slightest. Jealousy, unbridled revenge, sorry, can't say there is any.

I never made any promises to win Queen for a Day, and even if I did, I'm definitely not getting bent out of shape just because a match didn't go my way. I'm better than that. I'll give credit where it's due, the stars aligned for Christina Rose and she made the best of the situation. Does it change the fact that she's already been eaten alive the second the card for this weekend was made public? No. Do I enjoy the fact that this was bound to happen? No. Of all people, Christina deserved bet -

Oh, who am I kidding, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. It's only so nice that she thought of placing me on the card against someone I have never faced before.

How do I feel about facing Amber Ryan? I don't know, I'm not sure. Amber is coming off a loss at the supercard too, but while Myra was the better woman in their match, Amber is the better wrestler. I'm pretty sure she wanted to be both, but, hey, you can't win them all, right?

"It’s too early in her run to know how Amber will fare in SCW, but I have a feeling about this one. She's an unusual girl, she really marches to the beat of her own drum. She is different. Different is good. I think after the last few video submissions I've seen from her, she also has quite the mouth on her. I can already tell we're going to be the best of friends."

And this Sunday, Amber, maybe fortune will smile on you because you’re facing someone who isn't having a great year.  But make no mistake about it – I may not be where I should be right now in SCW in terms of wins and losses, but there's a reason why I give the rest of the women's division nightmares when their name is across from mine on a typical card.  

I remember when I used to be the new girl on the block in the Bombshells Division, the night I had my debut match is still fresh in my mind till this day. I could tell you about my titles and accolades, the championships I've won, the numerous records I've set and broken, the milestones I've reached, everything I've done in my career, including outside of this company, but, really, where's the fun in that? You've been just as successful, if not more so. You certainly didn’t become a multi-time champion just by sitting around and drinking piña coladas with little umbrellas. You are what they call a commodity. Most people wouldn't know me from Eve. I would say that for all our differences, we're a lot a like, but that would be crazy talk. We couldn't BE more different. When someone steps into the ring against you, it's going to be a war. You like to fight first and ask questions later. I like to think I have an excellent mat game and I am quick on my feet, maybe not as I used to be, and I'm not afraid to take risks either. You're a redhead, I'm a brunette. Stereotypes aside -  and, I mean, they could be true, probably not, but they could be - redheads might not have more fun, but their definitely more interesting. And while blondes claim to have more fun, we brunettes take care of business.

I’ve sacrifice more than just my own blood, sweat and tears to get to where I am today. Attention, opportunity, trust, and RESPECT. I worked for it. I earned it. I deserve it. If anything, I'm consistent. Maybe I'll never be as high, or as low, but I'm able to stay in the game always. I never give people a chance or an opportunity to miss me, so if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best, either the fans and the other Bombshells takes me for granted or they don't.

I may not be headlining shows, I may not be in the main events, I may not be one of the top stars here or hold the top title, but I can promise you that Amber and I will make this match worth the price of admission. It's up to everyone else to try and top it.

2020. We're living in strange times. I haven't had much to cheer about since the year started. This year will go down as maybe one of my toughest yet in SCW. Exciting times.

I'm just trying to keep my head above water, but you know I guess what they say is true.

If you're born to be hanged, you'll never be drowned.

~~~

L A S V E G A S • N E V A D A

Saying that the first half of 2020 for Mercedes Vargas have been crappy is, well, an understatement. Things were bad enough when she let opportunities slipped through her fingers, but for the most part, this year was already coming off the rails. Losing to rookies half her age, being the victim of Christina's vendetta against her, having to put up with people besmirching her name all the while just trying to survive. Maybe taking out her frustrations on a referee would do wonders for her career. It worked for Bobbie Dahl, suspensions be damned (though the punishment really seemed to be slaps on the wrists than just making an example of someone). She's surprised the powers that be haven't docked her paycheck after that.

Today she should wash her hair, but time is not on her side. It was one of those mornings when she hit the snooze button one too many times.

Mercedes always thought that if she forgot all the bad things that happened to her this year it was inevitable that she would forget all the good things, too. She never thought that focusing so much on the bad things would attract the wrong things in life.

You have boyfriend?  

Brushing her teeth at the sink, Mercedes was in no mood for talk and was unpleasantly surprised at her mother's question.

Mercedes: Can we not?

Mercedes spits out a mouthful of toothpaste.

Estelle: So you do have boyfriend?

Mercedes: Again, can we not?

Mercedes grabs a hairbrush  and works with whatever hair clips, bobby pins and elastic hairbands she could find to come up with a simple updo.

Estelle: Got a date?

Mercedes looks away from the mirror, at her from her laptop.

Mercedes: What?

Estelle: Well, only time you have hair fancy is when you're on hot date.

Mercedes: I'm going to hang up the phone if you can’t stop nagging because I didn’t visit enough this year.

Estelle: You never call, you never write. It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Mercedes: ¡Basta ya! Estoy así de cerca!
Enough already! I am this close to leaving!

Estelle: Por favor, no vayas.
Please, don't go. Pararé, lo prometo.

Mercedes: Listen, there's something I want to talk to you about. I wasn't ready until now but I think it's time.

Estelle: It's finally happening, you're getting married, aren't you?

Estelle holds a hand to her heart and is overcome with emotion. Mercedes settles for an eyeroll as Estelle trails off in Spanish, dabbing her eyes with a handkerchief.

Estelle: This is wonderful news mija. I almost lost hope in you.

Mercedes: Thanks, mom. But that's not what I was going to -

Estelle: You're coming out of the closet, aren't you?

Mercedes glares at her mother.

Mercedes: Christ, mom! Can you BE any less insensitive!?! No, that's not it either!

Estelle: Then why are you calling? I'm in the middle of watching telenovelas.

Mercedes: You win. You finally get what you want, but it's been a long time coming.

Estelle is paralyzed to even move, let alone look away from her obsessed face as she continues to listen in awkward, confined silence

Mercedes: I'm done, I'm calling it a career.

Estelle is still a little confused.

Mercedes: That little "intervention" you had, on Thanksgiving, the one night a year where we get to enjoy each other's company and engage in a roundtable discussion about what we're most thankful for? I guess it finally worked. Sure, it was four years ago, but who cares, right? Everybody wins! Carmen telling me to walk away? She gets her wish. Dad never wanted me to wrestle, but did I listen? No. I guess I'll be seeing him and you a lot more often now.

Estelle starts giving this apologetic look.

Estelle: But mija, wrestling is your life. Me and your dad, your brother, your cousin, we may not agree with it in the beginning, but things change. We cheer for you on show day, we try to make it to shows when we're able to. Of course, we can't now because of the pandemic, but still. You're successful, have been for a long time. Whatever decision you make, will be the right one.

Estelle takes up a whine glass and pours herself some sherry.

Estelle: I need a drink.

Mercedes was getting tired of the cold and eagerly waiting summer. But this summer was going to bring more than sunshine and easy days at the beach because something was lurking in the air - COVID-19.

COVID-19 doesn't care. It doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care about race or orientation. It doesn't care about hypocrisy. It doesn't care about income. It doesn't care when sports, concerts, or events come back, if ever. It doesn't care about politics or  party affliction. It doesn't care about protests. It doesn't care about seasons or holidays. It just doesn't care.

Mercedes closes her laptop.

At this point. She just didn't care either.

***Fade***

~~~

Present Day • L A S V E G A S • N E V A D A

It's Not Whether You Win or Lose: Gatekeeper the Thirteenth: Mockingbirds the Second: El ruido y la furia (The Sound and the Fury)

[REC]

"Some things are better left unsaid, but you can bet I'm going to say it anyway. I can't help being who I am."

The camera tilts upward, revealing Mercedes Vargas looking straight into the camera. We find the Argentine and SCW Hall of Famer wearing her authentic t-shirt.[/

“You know, if I didn’t know any better, I'd thought this match would have been more exciting, but turns out it’s been anything but. Maybe it’s just me?" 

Mercedes shrugs her shoulders.

"Maybe I'm anxious and just want to get this match with Amber Ryan over with, even though we're less than a two days from the fallout show from Into the Void from two weeks ago. Could be I'm a little weary from the hell I went through in the Queen for a Day ladder match. A match that, yes, Christina Rose won. I won't take that away from her. She did what she had to and got the win. Looking at what's in store this weekend, I sure as hell didn't have "Christina hands wife main event title match opportunity", "Christina finds loophole to get world title match" or "Christina Rose: One-Woman Show" on my 2020 bingo card."

She tilts her head and offers a slow applause.

"I bet it didn't take long for Christina to come up with the card for this weekend's show. Call it a hunch, but I knew that I was going to be punished because that is the kind of vindictive person she is. See, I know I'm not going to have an easy time of it in my match with Amber. She is good as advertised. She's kind of a big deal. She is what they call a household name in this business, a hot commodity, a brand. Any company who has her on their roster already know they're getting a killer. When she needs a place to work, she doesn't need to call them to be on their roster, they call her and demand that she's on theirs. On one hand, Amber is another kettle of fish, on the other she's a big fish in a small pond, or maybe a big fish in a bigger pond, depending on who you ask. Alicia deserves a medal for getting her to sign to SCdub because while the Bombshells Division has the best collection of female wrestlers right now, it's even more better with Amber in it. So it's not lost on me why Christina will be salivating at the chance to see someone finally put me in my place, and I wouldn't even put it pass Amber for the honor, because only a fool wouldn't see that Christina only wants to soften me up before she finishes the job.

Sure, we may have been in different circles, but you may be surprised to know that I've heard about Amber, even before the ink dried on her SCW contract. I doubt she liked being used like a library book to further whatever master plan Christina has cooked up, but then again when you have someone like Amber on the roster, you don't need an excuse for your next kill."

Mercedes swipes a hand over face. The once proud smile she had has transformed into a serious expression.

“But you want to know the real reason why Christina wants a match with me? It's not because she thinks this match at Summer XXXtreme will happen on her terms or that she has a superior record against me in SCW or even that she thinks I give two shits what imaginary threats she want to throw my way on social media. No, it's because Christina Rose, Williams, Hilton, Millar, Lopez, Zdunich,  fears Mercedes Vargas. I'm not going to be intimidated or shamed. She wants to make me a target, I say make my day. One opponent, two opponents, three opponents, send in the whole damn roster for all I care."

Mercedes holds up her hands in reservation, shaking her head.

"Show of hands, who else thought Christina was going to change once she finally claimed her identity? Because she didn't prove me wrong about everything I said about her, she proved me right. She's a narcissist, she's a liar, she's a bully, she manipulates to get her own way, she plays the victim card when she feels threatened. She can't continue to hide behind a real mental condition and make people think she's a good person, because she's not, far from it, no matter what her complicit wife says. Winning Queen for a Day may have magnified all those evils by a thousand.

Christina has said in numerous promos, she grew up in this business. This business is in her blood, she's third generation. At one point of her life, in her teens, she was learning the ropes from her father. I'm sure he is beaming with pride.

When you're a 16-time world champion, a four-time Hall of Famer, and the daughter of a wrestling legend you can excuse the way Christina does things. When you’re just starting out and trying to make your name like I did, you don’t have that luxury.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

What I can't admit, can't accept, and can't get over is how his third-generation daughter can be so thick-skinned. Christina seems to have it out for me because of some things I said about her. She always paints this picture that I'm the bad guy because of some perceived slight that I just don't like her. Look at the people she's been in the ring with, the things other Bombshells have said on record about her. I'm sure Alicia Lukas has said much worse, Andrea Hernandez has said much worse, Roxi Johnson has said much worse, even her bestie Sydney Knite has said much worse when they were opponents on occasion. I wonder how I got to the top of this dance card?

"One minute she says she's about giving chances and giving opportunities to those who deserve it in SCW, the next she sets a bounty on my head and goes as far as giving an ultimatum to face her at the next supercard. Now, Summer XXXtreme is five weeks away. Anything can happen between now and August 2, but the question that I need to ask about that and about my match this weekend is what did I do to deserve this? I can't be that special. Christina can play the victim, but I won't. I won't give her the pleasure and she won't get the satisfaction.

"Mujeres fuerte, mujeres reales, no le juegues a la víctima, no se hagan ver lastimosos, no señale a nadie, y admite cuando se equivoca.

Strong women, real women, don't play the victim, don't make themselves look pitiful, don't point fingers, and admits when she's wrong.

"Christina can pull out the punk card as to why a match between us isn't going to happen, she can claim my age has something to do with it - yes, I'm about to turn the big 4-0 four days after my match happens - but does it change the fact that even at my age that I accomplished more in SCW then everything she's done in her career? Does it change the fact that even past my prime, I can still still beat any girl here in their prime?

OK, so the days where I could drink whatever I want without having a terrible hangover the next day are long gone and maybe I've said "I'm getting too old for this" a time or two when I see something stupid, but is that so wrong?

Or maybe Christina is one of those "don't trust anyone over 30" crowds? Surely she's one to talk when she's seven years younger than me. We were inducted into the Hall of Fame at the same time, but I'm not surprised that people will say she's had the better career. Your miles may vary." 

Mercedes snaps her finger, remembering something. 

"Speaking of birthdays, I hear a special someone is celebrating a birthday today. Is that you, Amber? If you had told me earlier I would have bought you a present. Well, it's never too late for gifts so I guess our match will just have to do. And what better way to celebrate than with friends, right? Maybe not in a soldout arena, but a small gathering works too. I can't wait to give you the birthday beatings this weekend. I don't think I'm going to stop at 31 though, but you can handle it, can't you, sweetheart? You don't just play a tough girl on TV. I know that you hit hard, kick hard and you're a glutton for both taking and dishing out punishment, but I can hit and kick hard with the best of them. Don't let the looks fool you. I'm smarter than you think, stronger than I look, and notice more than you realize.  Feel free to underestimate me at your risk.

Sweetheart. I have nothing to prove. I’ve done it ALL. It’s not about me. At least I’m not trying to make it happen that way. But I can’t help that I’m a force of nature.

Few would mistake her arrogance for confidence, but it never stopped her before, and it damn sure wasn't going to happen now.

"Christina says she wants to make my life a living hell, but she knows that I can make her feel like she's living in one. She knows deep down inside, within every fiber of her being, that the only way she's going to get me in the same ring with her is in her wildest dreams, but that won't even happen in reality.

"The reality is I'm ready to take Amber to the distance and I'm going to make her work hard for the victory. The reality for Christina is I'm still here, still standing and, yes, still talking. When I go out into that ring Sunday night, when I give it my all, when I lay it out on the line, there is no one that's going to stop me. And I'll let you off with this, Christina, and I mean every word.”

Mercedes goes quiet for a moment as she lowers her head. She lets out a sigh before raising her head again.

“You may be 'Queen for a Day', but sweetheart you damn sure aren't the queen of me. So put this in your royal proclamation, bitch: you better hope Amber takes me out. Because if she fails, it's going to be your hands.

Long live the Queen."

Mercedes makes a heart symbol with her hands and that's the last image we see of her before she reaches to turn off the camera as the scene fades.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:00:58 AM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)