Author Topic: Know your worth  (Read 492 times)

Offline J2H

• View Profile
    • J2H
Know your worth
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:13:48 AM »
The end of April was lined with a cold snap breezing through Beverly Hills, California, as the state had begun to open more freely, regardless of the on going pandemic. Businesses were quickly reopening, some cutting corners to be able to welcome back not only the smiling faces that filled their buildings, but to take something they haven't been able to take for a long time, money. Money makes the world go around, and keeps places open, so many had fell victim to the pandemic, some people never being able to switch on their business lights again, even in a place like Beverly Hills, where the rich used to get richer and the poor became a further speck in the distance.

There was never any money issues in the Huntington-Hawkes household, James had grown up with a platinum spoon in his mouth, he knew no other way of life but to have everything he wanted, but things had changed since he met his good hearted, kind and loving wife Melody. She was generous to a fault as James knew when he married her, but there was no cause for alarm, he had more money than the pair of them could spend. He would spend like a drunk sailor on shore leave, spending hundreds of thousands on watches.

My point, money doesn't mean a lot to James Huntington-Hawkes III, or J2H, but it doesn't stop people trying to give him even more to spend.

The wind cut across the grass behind the huge mansion owned my James and Melody, creasing through every blade and moving it in the same direction as the two walked hand in hand across their estate. The two had been cautious during the pandemic, rarely leaving their home, but why would they want to in a place with it's own cinema, old time British pub, and countless other areas of entertainment? The two did like to walk through the grounds though, feel that breeze on their skin. They, like most had taken over a year from their lives through this pandemic, time they would not get back, but like some, they decided to appreciate what they had and the simple pleasures of watching their son, dog and duck - Yes, Dexter, remember him? - run through the green grass. The two walked hand in hand, the dirt moving under their shoes as James Jr chased Dexter the duck, his laugh filling the empty air.

J2H: I'm gonna miss this.

He felt Melody's glare hit his cheek, he could feel the sharp look from his wife as she stopped walking, her hand gripping his tight.

Melody: Miss what?

Her tone was filled with curiosity and her raised right eyebrow matched the tone. She really wasn't sure what he meant. He turned his head to meet her gaze.

J2H: The world's getting back to normal Mel. People will be getting their asses back to whatever they do in this world, and we will be doing so too. This is the time for me to make a killing.

His time away from wrestling wasn't spent doing what most do, sitting around, or travelling the world, trying to get by on their name. When J2H reverted back to James after leaving wrestling, the world was his oyster, he could have chosen to do anything he wanted, he could have sat on his ass and done nothing for years. This was a man who never had to work a day in his life if he chose not to. Instead, he became SCW's most famous wrestler. He never retired from wrestling but knew wrestling needed him more than he needed wrestling. He stepped back, much to a sigh of relief from second rate wrestlers who would never be world champion when he was there, and started investing money in businesses.

Melody: What do you mean?

She still had no clue what he was talking about.

J2H: The world of business is on it's knees Mel. All those high end stores are crying out for money to keep going, they're screaming out for funds or they can't reopen and we, my love, have the money to do everything. We could own Beverly Hills. Every store in this place could be partly ours. These people here will want to spend their money, it's like oxygen to them, they need to do it. We could be getting a part of that.

Melody looked at her husband with a crinkled nose, her eyes narrowed as she stared at him. She had seen him invest in so many businesses worldwide, for him to tell her he's interested in adding more to the portfolio was not a surprise, but in Beverly Hills, it was. He had never put his money in to buying any part of these kind of high end stores before.

Melody: Maybe we should talk about this. I mean the people in Beverly Hills will make money easy, they won't have to worry about it, but what about the small places J? They need the money more than someone who's lowest items are thousands of dollars.

He knew Melody had a point, but he was never doing it for the people. He was doing it for the money, for the returns at the end of the month. He wanted thousands, not a few dollars that wouldn't come close to heating his pool for a day. He wanted the lot for no work. A lot of business meetings all over the place, of course, flying around from here to there, obviously, but he didn't have to physically get out there and serve coffee, or annoying customers. To him, it was buy big, get big rewards.

J2H: There comes a point where it's not worth meeting people miles away for a few bucks. If I'm putting in the air miles, then it's gotta be worth the money. If its taking me away from you guys, then it's gotta be worth it. I know my value babe, and it's not cheap.

She had known who he was when she married him. It was no stretch to say that he was an even bigger asshole when she met him, the man who couldn't be and didn't want to be tamed, yet she tamed him to the extent where family life had become second nature, to where he was James off the camera, but J2H when he had to be.

Melody: But think of the people you could help J.

Melody never let the money go to her head, yes, she bought expensive things but money SHE earned, not because of who she is married to. She made a name in the wrestling business long before James put a ring on it, but her heart was always set about helping as many people as she could.

J2H: Buying somewhere like Beverly Hills means I wouldn't have to be everywhere, I could be home so I don't miss this, so I don't miss the family time.

Melody: You did great before, you always tried to make it home before JJ went to bed. You did everything you could for us, even with the big deals.

J2H: This is the thing Mel. Beverly Hills will just be a start, there's big business all over the world I could make a fortune off.

Melody: We already have a fortune.

J2H instantly rose his eyebrows, nodding at Melody in agreement, with a proud smile on his face. He started out with that platinum spoon but he kept adding to it over the years. He had realistically all he could spend in three lifetimes and then some.

J2H: While that is true, I know my worth, I know our worth, the more we have, the more he can change the world.

He pointed his free hand towards his son and smiled as James Jr rolled on the grass, Dexter the duck running around him in circles.

J2H: He is the future and he'll be smarter than us two put together, he could change the world and I'd rather be putting a million a month to that future, than peanuts.

Melody stared proudly at her son, ten feet away from her, rolling in the grass without a care in the world.

Melody: We could help so many people and we really don't need money.

The sound of a phone ringing in James' pocket instantly grabbed his attention, and the young man reached in to it, pulling the phone out and looking at it. He looked towards Melody and smiled.

J2H: Maybe you're right sweetheart. Maybe I can buy those little crappy businesses and help them, even though they might take a little more work.

Again, the confused look returned to the young blondes face as she stared at her husband, with her eyebrows raised.

Melody: Oh?

A smile appeared proverbially ten foot wide on James' face as he looked at Melody.

J2H: Yeah, cause I get the feeling that I'm about to get more than enough money to cover the differences for a while.

He holds the phone towards Melody's face and she sees the name Christian Underwood written across the screen. He quickly hits his thumb on the screen to answer it and hold it up to his ear.

J2H: Whatever you're about to offer Christian, you might wanna add another zero to the end of the number written down that Mark approved...

It was a bold, confident approach to start a negotiation, but James instantly knew that Christian Underwood was set to make him an offer he couldn't refuse to be J2H again. He had heard about Climax Control 300 coming up and expected the phone to ring.The rumored stars and the return of Amy Santino just wasn't gonna cut it rating wise, he had heard rumors of Travis Nathaniel Andrews returning to be on the show. There was talk of other superstars appearing that hasn't been on SCW television in a long time, he even knew there was a chance of that boring bubble head Rage.... Sorry, Jake Sullivan showing his face. He knew that none of these people had the star power to make this show better, so he knew that phone would ring. He knew he was in the driving seat.

James to be J2H again, well, Christian didn't exactly come with a low offer to start with, and he still managed to negotiate up.

The point of all this? Talking money, talking big business, is about knowing your worth. Christian knew J2H's worth, James knew J2H's worth. If neither did, J2H would not have been at Climax Control 299 and wouldn't be at Climax Control 300.

His worth: More for two appearance, than most people on the roster earn in a year... Christian had eventually found the magic number. It was time to dust off those boots.... The man, myth, legend, God, was set to enter an SCW arena again.

It was the night before Climax Control 299 - James was never one to show up till later in the day, so he stayed at home, it was part of his process before stepping in to the ego filled locker room of a wrestling company. He was full of ego himself, but with a locker room where most people's favorite activities were having pissing contests and his general dislike for most people, to him it made sense not to arrive until he really needed to. Tonight, he felt like he needed to be at peace with the wrestling world, that lead him to room in his house, dedicated to both his, and Melody's achievements in wrestling.

His eyes darted around the list of awards - 2013 Tag Team of the Year, 2016 Wrestler of the Year, Man of the Year, Most Hated of the Year, Match of the Year. 2017 Wrestler of the Year, Man  of The Year. Couple of the Year, Match of the Year and Feud of the Year, along with the replica championship belts he'd won through his career. He remained silent as he looked at the awards, but his train of thought was stopped by the slender arms of Melody Grace wrapping around him from behind, her fingers locking in the middle.

Melody: What are ya thinking?

That was a good question he had time to think about while she moved to his side. His thoughts were fairly empty.

J2H: That this is my career.

Melody: But you're flying in tomorrow to be on their show. They should give you an award for that.

Her positive attitude was one of the many reasons James loved his wife. He was a grouch when they met but she was one of the few who's positivity rubbed off on him at times.

J2H: They should but the amount on money they're paying me, I don't think that can afford an award to.

He leaned in to his wife, whispering the number in her ear, her eyes widening as the number passes past his lips.

Melody: Holy moly! I can see why you said yes to it.

J2H: It wasn't the only reason.

Melody: Well...

She didn't want to ask the question and she didn't have to.

J2H: Well this is what I've done and I'm worth all that money still to Christian and Mark. I'm worth every penny of that money, and I will always be remembered for what I have done, but think of it like this. If I'm worth this kind of money to them now, what would I be worth in three matches time?

Melody: I don't follow.

He knew what he meant in his head, but it was finding the right words to explain.

J2H: Everyone out there is expecting J2H Vs Kris Ryans at High Stakes XI, that's months away. There's been no contract put down on the table for that but Christian Underwood and Mark Ward know I am their golden goose, they know every time I step in that ring, their ratings go through the roof. I am pretty much everyone's dream match and retirement match wish. I'm in a position of power here. Kris and I have been mentioning it a lot and Christian and Mark like to deliver, they give people all this power and shit to make things more natural, but I've signed nothing to be there, pretty sure Kris hasn't either, hell, Christian only called a few days ago to get me to appear on the show tomorrow. If they're gonna pay me that much for one appearance, what would they pay me to wrestle twice more before High Stakes XI?

Melody: I'm not sure but I would say a lot.

J2H: So, so much. If I sit there and ask for a huge amount for High Stakes, thanks to being back and dragging up their ratings a couple more times, they won't say no. I could sit there with a piece of paper and whatever number I want on it and I will get paid. Do you know what that means?

Melody: That SCW could go out of business?

He guessed Melody could have a point there, but he also knew both Christian and Mark had deep pockets. They had spent ten years taking a little independent company from Las Vegas all over the world. They survived the pandemic and are still in business.

J2H: No danger of that. It means I can say fuck going all over the place for businesses. Three matches a year and I can make more money then any new business could bring in. I could take that money and put it in a fund for JJ. I'd have to go to work like three days a year and not be down a cent. All I need to do is pick the right people to put in front of me, watch Mark and Christian drool at the thought of it and get exactly what I want and I'll never have to leave.

James could see the wheels in Melody's head turning. She loved spending time with her little family, she loved the thought that he would be with her more and more.

Melody: Three matches a year?

J2H: At most, probably two, just enough to keep them handing over the money while getting rating boosts in return. They know I'm not gonna go work anywhere else, SCW is one of the few that can afford me.

Melody: And you get to be home more?

J2H: Pretty much all the time.

Melody couldn't contain herself as she wrapped her arms around her husband and he put his arm around her shoulder.

J2H: No time like the present...

Just a minute later, a phone was in James' hand and a phone call to Christian Underwood was made. It wouldn't take long before Christian agreed that a J2H match on Climax Control 300 what great business. As for his opponent? Well, Christian had either been drinking or had faith in James to find an opponent. I'm not sure he was ready for what was to come twenty four hours later.

Jumping forward, you saw Climax Control 299, you saw that J2H showed up, made some demands and got what he wanted. That phone call yesterday was to be sure he got what he wanted and he was handed it on a platter by Christian Underwood in exchange for more cash. Christian knew that the ratings would be higher at Climax Control 300 to have J2H actually wrestle, rather than appear. He knew he was worth every penny he was putting in J2H's account.

J2H was proud of himself as he delivered a promo only J2H could and wandered away, this is where we pick things up, right from Climax Control where J2H just casually strolled past Mac Bane and off camera.

J2H: It's like I never left.

There was pride mixed with smugness in J2H's voice as he wandered down, hearing Mac Bane call for him from behind but SCW's longest ever World champion decided there was a time and place to talk to Mac Bane and that would be before the proposed match in a weeks time. It wasn't like he really needed Mac, he was in the right place at the right time. His jubilant and self congratulatory mood put a spring in his step as he walked around the corner, right in to Christian Underwood.

Christian: Really? I give you free reign over who you want to face and you come up with that?

What you didn't hear from last nights conversation with Christian was J2H asking for a match next week from Christian, and Christian allowing J2H to pick his poison. See, worth and trust that ratings would be delivered as promised by J2H.

J2H: Why the fuck not? You get your Blast From The Past winner, who is better than half your roster, teaming with the best you've ever hired against Kris Ryan's and whoever else, a champion. That's a match and then some.

Christian: Kris hasn't agreed to anything yet and the main event for the Internet title hasn't started yet.

Christian was right, but could see Kris Ryans watching the conversation at a distance.

J2H: You in?

J2H mumbled the line as he fired a thumbs up towards Kris with an over the top cheesy grin on his face, Kris surely not being able to hear his words, but Kris fires a thumbs up back towards J2H with an equally cheesy grin, a possible mocking of J2H's own actions.

J2H: See, he's in.

A mock innocent face crossed J2H's as he looks at Christian but Christian instantly didn't buy it.

J2H: Look, you go flash your wallet in front of him. I'll go find a nice little place to watch this so called main event. Just get word to me when you get Kris to say yes. 'Kay chief?

Christian slowly shook his head and J2H walked past him, disappearing around another corner and out of sight.

Another fast forward shows J2H watching the end of the main event, his feet up on a sofa with a big screen TV on the wall. J2H tilts his head back to the cameraman.

J2H: This is why I invited you here. I know this is the champions dressing room, but where the fuck is Jack Washington anyway? Seriously, the man gets the world title and only shows up to wrestle. Not a fucking champion in my book.

Respect was always earned from J2H and Jack Washington had done nothing to earn his.

J2H: Alright, so we've just watched this shit state of a main event. What the fuck was that? I mean good God, Agostino would be out of place wrestling in a circus, but looks like that belt has moved over to O'Malley.

Looking down at his phone, he spotted a message from Christian Underwood, confirming he would be teaming with Mac Bane against Kris Ryans and O'Malley.

J2H: Well look at that. It's official, I team with Mac Bane against these two. O'Malley is gonna piss his pants quicker than Teddy Warren when he hears about this. I mean from what I hear, he doesn't seem to like Kris Ryans. I think I read hate. I'm sure he'll run off to social media and bitch about it, not the fact that he's against me, but because who he's teaming with. I would have thought this was your perfect partner O'Malley because he's giving you the one thing you love, the one thing you want, the one thing that sums you up more than anyone else...

A smirk crossed J2H's face as he moved a little closer to the camera.

J2H: Drama baby!

When you think back at what O'Malley is known for in J2H's mind, it is drama.

J2H: You're like a walking Days Of Our Lives episode. Do you like hire soap opera writers to come up with the shit you put on screen? Your whole life is a fucking soap opera. We've had the single father thing, which was meant to show the struggle, the heart ache, the loneliness, meant to bring a tear to the eye, oh that was almost daytime emmy worthy. Then what did we have, oh yeah, the finding love again, awwwwww, so sweet, wanting people to root for you, yay, go O'Malley, you found love, yay! Then we had the child is gone, oh, it's another tear jerker, I mean I'm sure people were crying in the streets. Then we had the good guy gone bad, where we'll see someone fuck over someone nice to them, sold them out for a championship. Then we had that classic TV moment where the goal was in reach, you were about to snatch the big prize you were hoping for, only to have it snatched away at the last minute. We've also seen the redemption story, I mean that's a huge smash in every soap opera there's ever been, the bad guy being good, saying sorry, wanting to make things up to people, wanting to be friends. The tried and tested long lost family member soap storyline.... Sounds familiar to me, oh so cheesy with that story that soap operas have done for years. Know what another one is? Pregnancy, you haven't knocked...

He tapped his chin as he stopped for a second.

J2H: Yeah, that's on there too. Now the fighting for the kid thing. I've seen all these on one show before. I'm starting to think your life is mirroring the fucking Simpsons! Your life is half Ned Flanders, half Homer Simpson man. Ned loses his wife, finds love again, Homer loses his kids, fights to get them back, finds a long lost brother, all this sound familiar? It fucking should cause it's been your life ever since you put your face on a screen! Your life's a joke, your wrestling career is a joke.

He leaned back on the sofa, crossing his legs.

J2H: You must be proud tonight, you beat a stick figure with an Adam's apple the size of Jupiter, for the Internet title, but it's nothing to be proud of. Fighting people like that is your level, it's where you belong. I haven't been in the ring for a while, but all I have to do is step my expensive shoes in the building and I'm already back to the top and so much more in front of you and everyone else here. I mean the next supercard is Jack Washington and Mark Cross and no one has uttered a fucking word about them since I got here tonight. I've put the top people in this place in very dark shadows O'Malley and your not even on their level. That puts you way back. I'm more than happy to smack you about O'Malley and trust me, I will. I will literally smack the soap opera life you lead right out of you. Knowing you, you'll use this to add more to this Simpsons life you lead.

J2H couldn't help but smile when picking flaws in O'Malley's life.

J2H: When you step in the ring, you've got bigger things to worry about than who your partner is, because I'm gonna smack you so damn hard, you'll have leprechauns dancing around your head.

He quickly pointed to his head.

J2H: Speaking of your partner. People sit there and say to me about this whole High Stakes XI thing at the end of the year and why Kris Ryans? Out of everyone that's in this wrestling world, why Kris Ryans? Well, why fucking not is the question you should be asking. Do I dislike Kris Ryans? No.

A quick shake of the head presses the point home.

J2H: There's very few people in this business that I begrudgingly respect, but Kris Ryans is one of them. Not just because he was Fenris' chew toy and lived to tell the tale, because it's Kris Ryans. Let me give you a history lesson on Kris Ryans. Kris Ryans was a junkie bum, one of those guys you see begging on the street for spare change, knowing full well anything you give him is going to get him chasing the dragon as soon as he could. He was a man who could have had the world at his feet, but pills were his best friend. He could have been something special but the pressure broke him, it almost killed a promising career. This man could have been a name mentioned in the same breath as mine on the same level instead of someone I'm facing, but he almost threw it all away.

J2H raised a finger.

J2H: Almost.

He repeated that word along with a point of the finger.

J2H: That's why I respect Kris Ryans, because he could have been a overdose victim, but he fought and he clawed and he dragged his way back. He rebuilt bridges he thought would be gone forever and he made something of himself. When no one said he could do it, the man returned to SCW, crawled his way out of the horse shit he buried himself in before and pulled himself back to the top of SCW and got that big boy belt. If you don't respect a man who can do that, you're a fucking idiot.

J2H knew that was the truth, his tone told the world that was the truth.

J2H: So why kick the shit out of Kris Ryans not only in the months to come, but in a weeks time? Money of course. I am everyone's dream match, it doesn't matter if they admit it or not. Fantasy booking people want me to face their favorite wrestler. I am that guy that could snap my fingers and everyone come running to try and put their name down to face me. There's very few I would ever come back and face, same effort for less reward, fuck that. I mean I wouldn't come back to smack Caleb Storms about, I wouldn't come back to go anywhere near Milo Kasey, or Lincoln Daniels or anyone like that, but for Kris Ryans, I would because it's all about what I can get out of it. To put a match like this together, my worth, hell, even Kris' worth will be met because the world wants to see it, but why do I want to beat him so bad?

He paused for a few seconds.

J2H: Because it's Kris Ryans. He's a name, he's a man that garners the respect of others, he's a man who can still go in the ring, he's a former World Champion, he is someone who teaches the next generation to give back, he's got more credits to his name than a Hollywood actor but when someone gets like that, I need to bring them back down to earth and remind them that they'll never be J2H, that they'll never be as good as me, they will always be second best. It's nothing really personal Kris, but you are the money match and when I beat you and O'Malley with ease, High Stakes XI will have the whole worlds attention, because next Sunday, I'm gonna give the world a preview of everything to come.... I'm sure Mac Bane might help at some point too, I don't know.

J2H shrugged his shoulders.

J2H: That's real talk bitch!

He waves his fingers at the cameraman and the scene fades to black.
>