Hero
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »
 Off-Camera

Wednesday, May 13, 2020
Zdunich Room
Saxon Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada
8:15 AM  PDT

This was the beginning of a busy weekend.

On Thursday, Seleana would travel to Rome, Georgia for a match where she would team with her sister, Zenna, in a tag team bout against a team called The House of Dix, Tracy Dixon and Wendy House. Tracy and Wendy were a bit of an odd couple tag team as they were two people who, by all rights, should not even be friendly with each other. Tracy Dixon had always come off as a somewhat sweet-natured beast of a woman that everybody gets along with. At five feet four inches tall and one hundred and sixty pounds, nobody was going to overpower this woman. If she’d been a man, she would have been described as a giant teddy bear because of hw happy and friendly she was, always looking to help people around her.

Wendy House was nothing like Tracy Dixon.  

Wendy was five foot eight inches tall and one hundred and forty-seven pounds and acted like a spoiled child. Others in the locker room tended to openly joke that Wendy should walk around with a pacifier in her mouth and dye her hair to look like Maggie Simpson because she was that much of an immature baby. Her antics when everyone had first met her made somebody like Bobbie Dahl seem likeable and well-adjusted in comparison. She threw near constant tantrums like an overgrown toddler and generally annoyed anyone who had the misfortune of coming in contact with her.  

The fact that the two became friends and a well-oiled tag team had been baffling to people. Even Tracy and Wendy admit they do not know how or why they ended up friends, much less a competent tag team and yet, there they were, the House of Dix.

And, yes, they know how stupid and jokeworthy the name is, that was why they picked it.

Then on Friday, she would travel to Pomona, California to team with her sister, Zenna, her wife, Christina, her wife’s sister, Mariah Lopez, and a woman called Tara Cabral to take on a group called The Prophecy, the Reaper, Calista, Zella, Alice Manson and Bathory. With three members, Reaper, Calista and Zella all competing under facepaint and assumed names and all of them being certifiable, or at least a reasonably close facsimile of such things, this would not be an easy match at all even with four partners as capable as Zenna, Christina, Mariela and Tara.

In fact, given the size of Tracy Dixon and Bathory, it was entirely possible that Seleana was in for a rough weekend even before she returned to Las Vegas to step into the ring with Keira Johnson.

As Seleana considers her schedule, her hands gripping a pair of small dumbbells as she performs lunges, her phone chimes at her with her sisters’ band’s version of her theme song, “Black Cat.”  Seleana sets the dumbbells down and checks her phone, nodding at the name staring back at her.

Seleana Zdunich: Heya, Chavy, how’s it?

The smile slowly fades at the tone of Michelle Chavez’s voice. The usual happy-go-lucky friendliness has been replaced by an almost apologetic sense of dread.  

Dr. Michelle Chavez: There was an incident…

Selean’s frown deepens.

Seleana Zdunich: Incident?

Dr. Chavez goes quiet for a second, obviously trying to come up with the best way of putting what happened into words.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Yeah, this guy came up to the door and demanded to be let in. Said his daughter owned part of the palace so we owed him.

Seleana stares down at her dumbbells, completely dumbfounded that this could have happened at the Zdunich Zoological Gardens, especially when they were not currently open to the public.

Seleana Zdunich: Did he give a name?

Chavy does not hesitate.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Dewey?

Seleana almost throws her phone in anger.

Seleana Zdunich: Djävla rövhål!

Gritting her teeth, Seleana walks over to a chair and sits down, rage swimming over her entire being.

Seleana Zdunich: HayJo’s father…

Chavy all but whimpers at the identity.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: He was not happy when we gave him nothing.

Seleana nods angrily.

Seleana Zdunich: What did he want?

She braces herself, knowing what the answer will likely be before it even comes.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Money.

Seleana’s head droops. Of course...

Seleana Zdunich: Did he threaten you?

Chavy’s voice quivers.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Yes.

Seleana’s body stiffens in anger.

Seleana Zdunich: Did he touch you?

Chavy’s voice wavers a little less.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: No, made a point of telling me how he found me filthy and would not be doing anything like that.

Seleana nods slowly.

Seleana Zdunich: Lo siento, Chavy… I…

Chavy goes quiet for a second, Seleana not saying anything either. After almost a full minute of silence, Chavy finally manages to speak.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: I recorded it… just in case.

Seleana’s eyes snap open in shock.

Seleana Zdunich: You… did?

Chavy’s answer comes back without any hesitation at all.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: I did.

Seleana starts to get excited, then realizes what the recording must be like for Chavy to be as she is at the moment.

Seleana Zdunich: How bad is it, Chickie?

With her voice almost cracking, Chavy

Dr. Michelle Chavez: I will send it to you.

Seleana nods, exhaling heavily. From the sound in Chavy’s voice, Seleana knew she would need to brace herself before watching whatever was contained in this file. A chime alerts her to the file’s arrival.

Seleana Zdunich: Do I need to make sure I am watching this alone?

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Correct, he said some things…

Seleana nods,staring at her phone as if something might come leaping out at her at any moment.

Seleana Zdunich: I will be coming there Saturday. I go to Pomona on Friday so will take the opportunity to come and see how things are on my way back for the show on Sunday.

For the first time in the call, Chavy’s voice brightens.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Sarabi will be happy to see you!

Seleana smiles at the mention of the lioness.

Seleana Zdunich: I am very keen to see her as well.

She pauses and stares at the phone again for a second.

Seleana Zdunich: I will watch this and then we will plan our response. I know what the response will be from Christina and from Declan Black at the revelation that Dewey Annis is back and looking for a payout again. They will both wish to hurt him badly.

Chavy’s teeth audibly grind.

Dr. Michelle Chavez: I would be in favor of that…

Seleana can’t believe her ears. Chavy had never expressed any inclination for violence. In fact, bring an animal doctor, she was usually the exact opposite. What had Dewey Annis said to her to make her embrace such a change?

Seleana Zdunich: I will call you before we go to Georgia.

The call ends and Seleana stares at her phone again. Did she really want to see/hear what was on this thing?

Seleana Zdunich: Hur skitade du i det blå skåpet nu?

As she continues to stare, not quite being able to bring herself to watch it, the door to the room opens to admit her wife, Christina Zdunich, her daughter, Brittany Williams, and their daughter-in-law, Haylie Jo “Halo” Annis. The three of them take one look at Seleana and shake their heads.    

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: Y’all look like somebody just shot y’all’s puppy, Mama Sel, what’s eatin’ ya?

Kicking herself for not brushing this off, Seleana takes a deep breath and then looks them all dead in the eyes.

Seleana Zdunich: Chavy had a visitor… she sent me what he said to her…

Halo, Christina and Brittany all frown.

Christina Zdunich: Who was it?

Seleana pauses, almost freezing at the thought. Finally, he manages to nod to Halo.

Seleana Zdunich: Dewey Annis.

Halo’s mouth falls open.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: My… ?

Seleana nods apologetically knowing full well what this will mean to Halo.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja…

Brittany frowns, anger seeping into her eyes.

Brittany Williams: What did he do?

Seleana nods to her phone.

Seleana Zdunich: I have not watched it yet.

Brittany and Christina both nod slowly.

Brittany Williams: Ok…

Christina Zdunich: Did Chavy tell you anything?

Seleana nods quickly, sadly.

Seleana Zdunich: She said he threatened her, wanted money and used certain language with her.

Halo backs up, looking like she might be sick.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: Oh God…

Seleana nods to all three of them.

Seleana Zdunich: She also said I should not play this in front of you.

Brittany and Christina both shake their heads.

Brittany Williams: Oh you definitely gotta play it for us now!

Christina Zdunich: How bad is it?

Seleana shrugs.

Seleana Zdunich: I do not know, but I know it made Chavy express something she has never done before. She admitted the idea of violence upon him was not a bad idea. She abhors violence…

Halo shakes her head.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: Dammit, Daddy, who did you get into hock with now?

Seleana nods to both Christia and Brittany.

Seleana Zdunich: ¿Estas segura?

Christina nods. Brittany nods back as well. Halo looks over and nods too, already shaking as if she’s angry enough to explode and possibly about to be physically ill simultaneously.

Seleana Zdunich: Okej…

Pressing the button to call up the file, Seleana sighs heavily before starting it. Quickly, the voices of Dr. Michelle Chavez and Dewey Annis can be heard.

Dewey Annis: Now y’all listen right up in here, you greasy wetback bitch, y’all owe me and I am gonna be collectin’ on this damn bet! Y’all ain’t welchin’ on me! I ain’t let my daughter go off and turn dyke and start knockin’ out the ol’ dirty with that nappy-headed turd blossom for free! It’s bad enough she started eatin’ peaches, but it had to be a damn brown one too? Brown M&M’s have always been the bane of my damn existence and now my daughter’s done and gone made herself a fuckin’ oreo eater!

Dr. Michelle Chavez: Sir…

Dewey Annis: Don’t y’all be tryin’ to handle me, you ain’t be able to handle me even if I wanted to pay your fat ass to let me fuck it and I wouldn’t do that even if I was as hammered as my wife used to be before the stupid bitch died in her own blizzard! Do you not understand or is your kind just too fuckin’ stupid to get it? Y’all OWE me! My spawn done hit the jackpot and I’m gettin’ my share! Her taste has never been good, she jumped on whatever came along and knocked out the ol’ dirty with so many just… now she simultaneously found the best and worst…

Halo presses the button to stop it, falls to her and starts sobbing uncontrollably.  

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: I hate him...so… damn… much…

Seleana crouches down in front of her, taking one of Halo’s hands into hers while Christina and Brittany both lean down as well.

Brittany Williams: Babe?

Halo looks up to her wife, unable to say anything and Brittany clamps onto her, embracing the young blonde southern belle.

Brittany Williams: You’re not him…

Christina nods sympathetically.

Christina Zdunich: Don’t let him get to you, Sweetie. You’ve done so much without him, you don’t need to pay him any more mind. Let him bounce right out of your head, you owe him nothing!

Brittany nods her agreement with her mother.

Brittany Williams: You’ve made your own, fuck what he wants!

Seleana squeezes Halo’s hand.

Seleana Zdunich: I’m sorry, Chickie. Though…

She pauses and nods.

Seleana Zdunich: I think I have a solution for this problem even without finishing this recording.

Halo looks up, tears still streaming down her face.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: You… you do?

Seleana nods.

Seleana Zdunich: I will call Chavy and ask how she was to contact him for his payment.

Halo, Brittany and Christina all frown, all clearly distressed by this idea but Seleana sets down the phone and raises her now free hand..  

Seleana Zdunich: I am not paying him, I am suggesting we have Chavy call him, ask him to come to the zoo and then we have a talk with him about his manners, ja?

Halo nods angrily through her tears.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: I can be down with that!

Christina nods, seemingly impressed.

Christina Zdunich: Teach him a lesson…

Brittany nods firmly.

Brittany Williams: The things I would like to do to him…

Seleana nods, hugging everyone in together, Halo, Christina and Brittany joining in and reciprocating in kind.

Seleana Zdunich: We are a family and we will show him what the meaning of that is!

Halo nods and then stands up, everyone else joining her. She hugs Seleana and then Christina before taking Brittany by the hand and leaving the room.

Seleana Zdunich: Han är så jävla skit!

Christina nods slowly.

Christina Zdunich: This is going to hurt her… bad…

Seleana nods knowingly.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja, it will.

She looks down and shakes her head.

Seleana Zdunich: I do not want to think of what we might need to do but if we do not stop him now, he will do this again. He will go to Amy and do the same to her. He might be fool enough to go and harass Brittany’s father.

Christina shakes her head.

Christina Zdunich: That would be bad.

Seleana nods.

Seleana Zdunich: Agreed. Todd and Declan would both take drastic measures, we require other measures.

Christina nods slowly.

Christina Zdunich: What do you have in mind?

Seleana ponders this question for a second and then nods to herself.

Seleana Zdunich: I will make a call. Nikki Peltier might be able to help us. Jackson Shane as well. If he is willing to threaten Chavy and say what he said, he may have attempted these activities before. We might be able to find a way to remove him from the picture without violence. Jackson is a lawyer, he helped find a way to get Jenni and Kelly Taylor’s mother out of prison in the UK. Nikki runs a company that specializes in gathering information and taking action on it. If there is anything to be found, she will find it and then Todd need not know about this before it is taken care of.

Christina nods.

Christina Zdunich: Otherwise, he’ll take care of it his way and… yeah…  

Seleana again nods knowingly.

Seleana Zdunich: Declan would prefer to do things his way as well. He’d be keen to make Dewey Annis disappear and if they are involved, it will be a race. Jackson is also experienced in these matters as well.

Christina frowns.

Christina Zdunich: He is?  

Seleana nods gravely.

Seleana Zdunich: Jackson does not use his family name because of his father and uncle’s exploits. They were part of what took over for the Westies in New York City. They are both currently in prison in New Jersey, both serving life without parole. Mickey “The Blade” Coonan and “Razor Ronnie” Coonan, Jackson does not like treading on the name so does not use it.

Christina frowns.

Christina Zdunich: So… he’s a lawyer… connected?

Seleana shakes her head.

Seleana Zdunich: He used to work in corporate law. He did not want to be anywhere near what his father did. I think his brother is also in prison because he attempted to follow in the family footsteps and was unable to achieve competence.

Christina nods again.

Christina Zdunich: Yeah, you should make the calls. I don’t really know what to do here…

Seleana nods and then hugs her wife.

Seleana Zdunich: Det finns ingen ko på isen, vi kommer att göra det. Jag älskar dig.

Christina manages a smile.

Christina Zdunich: Te amo.

The two kiss even as they ponder the future and what is to come.  

On-Camera

Saturday, May 16, 2020
Lion Habitat
Zdunich Zoological Gardens
Los Angeles, california
8:27 AM  PDT

The camera opens on Seleana Zdunich smiling back over her left shoulder as she walks towards a gate.

Seleana Zdunich: Is it working?

The voice of the person holding and operating the camera, Dr. Michelle Chavez, quickly answers back.

MC: Perfectly, I see you crystal clear!

Seleana smiles broadly.

Seleana Zdunich: How long ago was Sarabi fed?

MC: An hour or so, she should not be hungry right now at all.

Seleana nods quickly as they continue walking.

Seleana Zdunich: And Simba?

MC: He’s on the other side of the habitat being bathed. That’ll give us long enough to let you say hi to Sarabi and do whatever it is you want to do.

Seleana nods as they come up to the gate.

Seleana Zdunich: I see her… det här är bra, ja?

She opens the gate and steps in, the camera remaining behind to watch. Seleana steps forward, seeing the lioness looking away a few hundred yards away.

Seleana Zdunich: SARABI, MAMMA ÄR HEMMA!

The lioness peers up, scanning for the voice. As she finds Seleana, Sarabi jumps up and runs over to her. Seleana meets her and the two have a quick reunion, Sarabi acting like a lost dog being reunited with its person.

Seleana Zdunich: Min lilla gumman!

For a few more minutes, Seleana plays with the lioness until simply sitting down. Sarabi curls up across her lap, obviously trying to cuddle like she did as a cub. Seleana nods and starts to stroke the lioness’s head lovingly.

Seleana Zdunich: You’ll have to excuse me. After the last few days, I needed to come see my sweet girl. Tomorrow I face another sweet girl in Keira Johnson and I have to admit, there are times you remind me of Sarabi here.

She looks down and smiles as Sarabi starts to purr happily.  

Seleana Zdunich: You are fierce. You are capable of taking anything down that you want and if you set your mind to it, do so with ease. You are capable of being incredibly loving and showing incredible kindness and mercy.

She looks up from the lioness and nods to the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: In short, you are everything that one should aspire to be. You are a successful wrestler, teammate, wife and mother. You are a superhero and those are on your “bad” days.

Seleana looks back down to Sarabi, continuing to stroke the lioness’s head.

Seleana Zdunich: You should be like this…

She nods to the purring lioness.

Seleana Zdunich: All the time.  

She leans down and kisses the top of Sarabi’s head, her hand continuing to stroke the head as she goes.    

Seleana Zdunich: Which is why I could not understand when you started to talk like Bobbie Dahl the other night.

Looking away, Seleana shakes her head.

Seleana Zdunich: You and Christina both have this weird thing about you this way. You are both stars that cannot be denied. You are hall of farmers. You have been champions and made names for yourselves that should tell anyone that you are not to be cast aside like trash and yet…

She looks back to the camera and shrugs.    

Seleana Zdunich: Instead of acting like you are the top of the food chain and the queen of the jungle the way Alicia Lukas does, you sometimes start questioning yourselves. You act as if you are the scavengers begging for scraps from the true queen instead of looking up and letting the light shine from your crown as it should be!

Staring straight into the camera, Seleana frowns in confusion.

Seleana Zdunich: Why do you do this?

The camera zooms in on her face.

Seleana Zdunich: Why do you question yourself like this?

The stare becomes pointed.

Seleana Zdunich: You are a queen, Keira and no one can tell you different!  

As she looks back down at Sarabi again, the camera pans back out to show the whole picture of Seleana sitting with a lion pretending to be a giant housecat.    

Seleana Zdunich: Sarabi never needs to question who she is. She is the queen of her jungle and there is no denying that. Anyone that steps in here is in her home and we are all just visiting it.

She nods and then looks up to the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: That is who you should be, Keira, and it’s who I want to see in our match. I want the Keira Johnson that can leap tall buildings in a single bound. I want the Keira Johnson that has the kind of willpower that should make her glow green with power and make everyone else green with envy! I want the Keira Johnson that never has to question anything because she is the hero she always wanted to be!

A determined smile comes to her face.

Seleana Zdunich: That is the Keira Johnson I know, the Keira Johnson I respect, admire and aspired to be like when I was starting out in this sport! That is the Keira Johnson I learn from every time I step in the ring with and I am proud to compete with!  

She looks back to Sarabi and nods as the lioness continues to purr.

Seleana Zdunich: I want my lioness, Keira, do not bring me the lamb that can only wish she knew where her teeth were. I will not look kindly upon that and that will not last in this jungle.

She nods pointedly, the smile fading away.

Seleana Zdunich: I want my hero, Keira, and I will get it even if I must drag her kicking and screaming out of you!

A small smile comes back to her face, her eyes twinkling in the light.  

Seleana Zdunich: As Sarabi would say if she was not blissed out…

Looking up from the big cat, Seleana nods to the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: Välkommen till djungeln, nu visa mig din känsla!

Seleana leans down and cuddles the lioness as the camera fades to black.