Author Topic: HBCARTER v SENOR VINNIE  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Christian Underwood

• TAFKATPF aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Pink Flamingo
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Christian Underwood
HBCARTER v SENOR VINNIE
« on: January 02, 2023, 06:20:05 AM »
Post your roleplays here by deadline. Good luck and have fun!

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
? Mae West

Offline Goth

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • Gerrit
Re: HBCARTER v SENOR VINNIE
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 09:56:43 PM »
The New Years Resolutions of Vinnie:

We are at a busy street in Tijuana, Mexico. Where we see a crossover standing in front of a busy market center, there he is overlooking the busy traffic that passes the street every few seconds as well as whether someone wishes to cross the road upon his side or the other side where we see a rather small cactus standing with the same outfit that the rather large individual has on. The big figure looks over towards his “co-worker” and waves towards him, giving a thumbs up as he notices the cactus apparently wave back towards him.

“Hola amigo’s, first of all I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and a good New Year?? And are looking to the new year just as much as yours truly.”

The rather large man smiles as he takes off his hat for a moment, letting his massive curls fall out underneath it to reveal SCW superstar Senor Vinnie.

“Now I know that 2022 has been a year with mixed results, I won some matches and lost some. I didn’t win any championships for another year in a row, something that has been a burden on my mind for many years. But I have had some soul searching alongside with my amigo Pete, where we decided that we would do things completely different. And this is just the beginning of it all, I…. one second.”

Vinnie stops mid-sentence as he notices a rather old lady with a walker in her hands leaving the market place, he notices her struggle a little bit as the walker get stuck behind a loose stone on the pave walk and rushes over to assist her.

“Please allow me to assist me senora.”

“That’s nice of you, if you could just help me….”

Vinnie, in being the major enthusiastic natured individual immediately grabs the older lady by the arm in a gentle way and helps her to lift the walker upwards in the air for a few inches. In a way that she could lift the walker easily over the loose piece of stone on the pave walk, in order for her to be able to continue her way. The only problem is that when the lady moves forward, her left foot get stuck behind the stone.

“Oh my, now I’m stuck behind the stone. And I still have to visit my grandmother Juanita. I…”

Vinnie’s eyes widen as he stares at the old lady that he is trying to assist, hearing the mentioning of her visiting her grandmother. Making him wonder how old her grandmother must be as he had guessed this old timer to be around near the 80s at least, but refuses to ask as that is not something that you do towards a lady. He carefully helps the older lady to walk around the loose hanging stone before waving her off as she told him that she is on her way. There he notices after staring at the older lady for the last 10 minutes or so that she is clearly lost, making him feel sorry for the old timer and walks over towards her.

“Senora??? Can I help…”

The older woman suddenly snaps her head towards the direction where the sound had come from that had clearly startled her.

“Don’t touch me!! I may be old, but I still know how to slap the taste out of your mouth with this plastic sack of coins!!!”

This startles Vinnie for a bit, not expecting that the older woman was suffering from short term memory. He lifts his hands upwards in a defensive posture as well as slowly taking a step backwards while showing her his genuine smile as he notices the older lady grabbing a small plastic bag with coins inside of it, making Vinnie wonder from what century these coins came from.

”Forgie me senora, but I have no intention to rob you or anything else. But I could not help but notice that you seemed to have lost the direction towards your grandmother and wanted to assist you.”

But the older lady does not want any of it, moving her arm in the extreme fast pace of any other old timer would be reaching at her age. Yet surprises Vinnie by nearly hitting him a few times as he needs to step back again and needs to reconsider strategy.

“No senora, I am a good Vinnie, I am the only child from the Rodriguez family of the Rodriguez Mariagi legacy. I….”

This causes the old woman to suddenly stop from swinging the rather useless sack of coins as some of them fall on the pave walk.

“Rodriguez??? The Rodriguez family??”

Vinnie scratches his head as he did not expected the name to calm the old lady down, but shrugs it off and gives her his patented smile.

“Yes Senora, Antonio Rodriguez is my father. I….”

“You are my grandson!!!!”

The fragile woman drops the walker, slowly stammers towards Vinnie as she wraps her fragile arms around the rather large man that cannot comprehend what just happened. He looks over towards the other side of the street and sees his friend Pete the Cactus scratching his head before shrugging his shoulders.

“Are you grandmama Juanita????

He asks as he suddenly remembers the tale of his long lost grandmother, who went to buy groceries and never came back. He looked at the old lady and realizes that she is holding a bag from an old groceries store that no longer exists over twenty years. A second thought hits him as he wonders how long a bag like this can remain useful to carry things around.

“Si Vinnie, I am your grannie…. I am so happy that I finally found you my grandson, grandpapa Leo had forgotten to give me money my little one. That forced the police to throw me into jail and I had to stay there for 50 years.”

This causes Vinnie’s eyes to bulge out of his head out of shock

“50 years??? For not being able to pay for groceries??”

The old lady starts to weep as her make up slowly wears down from the long lost memories as she finally tries to look up to him.

“I got 45 years for spitting on the judge because I was being mistreated son. It was my fault, but I had served my sentence and now I am about to visit relatives.”

Vinnie sighs as he realizes that he has to tell her the bad news that everyone above her age has died many years ago. He wraps his arms around the old mumbling lady and promises himself to take good care of her while also going to be wrestling later this week
*To be continued*

We see Vinnie coming out of a guestroom and softly closes the door when he bumps into the camera crew

“Oh Hello, that is rather rude to interrupt me after putting my grandmother to bed?? Well if you  want to know, the latest update is that she is doing fine. She has gone through a lot and I am willing to help her get treatment. I have already hired the best doctors to treat her with her losing some of her memories, as well as going to put on the classical family Rodriguez taco diet. Now I know what you must be thinking, how can taco’s be a diet Vinnie?? And there’s a simple answer to that question. We add a lot of vegetables in it as well as adding all the fruit that you can eat on a extra plate next to the taco. Now wee all know that fruit is very healthy, so in our culture that makes it a taco diet.”

Vinnie gives a two thumbs up to his description of something to normal human being standards could be considered to be a diet.

“Now Pete has been nagging me around my head of whether this is truly y grandmother Juanita. And even though I’m rather shocked about him taking her credibility in doubt, I have decided to shut him up for once and for all to agree for her to take a blood test and see whether the results will return with a positive or negative result. Because I know he has the best of intentions with the senior citizens of the world, he also is a very cheap ass cactus and does not want some hobo steal me from my wealth and riches.”

“Now I have to admit, he had felt the same way about Lora before she and I wed. but he has turned around rather quickly, realizing that she had never taken any cent that wasn’t hers and we never had children, so I never had to pay for child support. It make me realize that actually Pete is a very cheap ass spoiled cactus,k who may just only like me for my money!!!!”

Vinnie punches his left hand as a fist in his open right hand out of anger as all of the sudden we see Pete jump into view with an expensive Armani shirt, trying to convince Vinnie that it is a cheap knock off and that he would never abuse his friends trust and money.

“You are just lucky you caught me in a good mood Pete, I trust you. But I only trust you, because you never stole anything from me…. Well, besides that one time that you used my credit card to buy Iris that expensive dog collar with diamonds… Or that one time that you booked us the most expensive restaurant even though we were broke??”

There’s a silence as Pete is trying to convince Vinnie to something

“Now I know we had to wash and clean like 5000 plates to pay off the bill. But that took us like five months to accomplish!! Hell the last few plates were done yesterday!! So don’t gloat over that!!! Hell, you had it easy by taking orders from the customers while I was in the back doing the dishes!!! And half of those orders were actually wrong!!!”

Silence

“Oh don’t start with the whole bullshit excuses that your mind wasn’t on the right spot because of that fight you had with Iris. You need to be a professional Pete and separate work from private life okay!!!!”

Silence

“Oh that is low to bring in Lora Pete, I won the world title and married her on the same night okay!!! You are just still upset over the fact that you had to attend the wedding through skype instead of being allowed to be there in person!!! You had maggots inside that pot of yours and there was clearly stated that no animals were allowed unless they were trained and educated animals.”

Silence

“No that does not count as being trained annoying little buggers!!! Now you have to be quiet, or else nanna Juanita will wake up Pete. And I have a match to prepare for.”

Vinnie puts back on a smile, pretending that this little argument between him and Pete had never took place. He flexes his arms as he wraps them across each other in front of his chest before putting on his shades and turn into the man that claims everyone loves. He clears his throat a few times before he starts to talk

“Hola amigo’s and amiga’s, welcome to the Vinnie show in 2023. Did all of your resolutions been thrown out of the window already?? Did your parents already ate something ery fattening while promising that they would go on a diet?? And of course those foolish people that have a new years tradition to take a dive into the sea on new  years day, why you may ask?? Because they just love to have a robe wrapped around them after jumping out of the water with nearly a heart stoppage, only to get their wrinkled up faces on national television as others laugh at them. But all in good fun I suppose?? Me on the other hand??? I stayed home and enjoyed the fireworks.”

“Clearly you had expected me to go outside and shoot some big ass fireworks into the sky?? Well I’m sorry to disappoint you, my insurance company was suddenly cancelled because Pete needed some extra money to be saved to buy Iris some diamond bedroom toys… I still have no clue what they are like, but I don’t like the sound of that!!! But onto my my opponent…. Senor Carter, a talented person that I feel is a rather special individual. Now you may ask me why Vinnie??”

“He reminds me of Fenris, because of their shared preferences of the opposite, or in this case same sex. And that’s alright with senor Vinnie, I am all about equality and doing the right thing to support those who need to have that pat on the back. So here you go Carter!!!”

“But seriously senor, even though we may have never faced before, or even actually met. I feel the need to tell the world that I do respect you. And I know that given the right opportunity that you want to grab that championship belt away from Bill. I understand that there is some bad blood between you and my amigo, but I just want to point out that Bill is a kind of amigo that can fight his battles on his own and does not need me, or vice versa. So be assured, you and I will only have to worry about these big time pythons.”

Vinnie starts to flex his muscles before giving them a kiss and turns his patented smile back to the camera.

“I also want to point out that even though I am taking the full responsibility of taking care of my old nanna, I will still have enough time and focus not to be distracted in our fight between the two of us. I don’t want this to be used as an excuse to why I may potentially lose to you senor. But rest assured, I am a full blooded Mexican male, who has held the world and Internet title in this company. And I feel that a possible victory over you will help me a long way back to the right direction. I have sweat on the treadmill, I have gained some muscular mass as well done a lot of mental workouts… You know, I played memory with nanna, she taught me the game of chess and it has taught me that there are a lot you can do with a rook that isn’t allowed during the more traditional game of chess. But I have promised Pete that I would not turn his cheeks redder than a Ferrari F! car. And those babies are surely red!!!”

“But I’m diverting from what is truly important. Our confrontation, the first of first
The first time we meet, on the first show of the new year…. The only thing that isn’t first is the fact that I had to help nanna to the toilet for the millionth time since yesterday. But I am sure that the world can forgive me that one as we move on. I want you to know senor Carter, that I am back to the level I once was when I won the world title. And before you mention my cheating ways, I didn’t cheat that day as I earned that world title by making Austin James Mercer tap out. A joyful day to this very day for me, but also a day that needs a replacement by a new world title. So I ask of you senor Carter, if you feel that you cannot beat me… would you at least be gracious of allowing me to defeat you in a proper fashion?? If that is the case, I will gladly allow you to eat one of my infamous healthy diet taco that I mentioned a few moments ago. So with all being said and promised, another smile to emerge upont he world as Senor Vinnie, the man that is actually a good person… is upon us… Happy new year everybody!! I cannot wait to see you all back in person when the first show in the new year is upon us!!!”

With that the shot slowly fades as we see Vinnie wave towards the camera with the biggest smile ever
>

<span style="color:limegreen">First Ever Triple Crown and Grand Slam Winner and 2nd ever Grand Slam Winner</span>

Offline HBCarter

• The Hardcore Bottom
    • View Profile
    • Sin City Wrestling
Christmas Memories
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 10:05:36 PM »

“I can remember years ago when teachers would ask us in class what Christmas meant to us, and I can remember some of the cookie cutter answers that the so-called ‘suck ups’ would give the teachers, thinking that it would practically guarantee them a better grade than anyone who might dare tell them what they really thought. Oh, some were sincere in their answers. I'm certain when they would say that Christmas was a day that we were meant to gather with friends and loved ones, family, they meant it. Or at least they believed that they did. Others would even speak up and say that it was the day we were supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Maybe even a combination of the two?”

“I just so happened to be one of the more honest kids who got funny looks from teachers when I would tell them how I honestly felt; Christmas is a day where the Church co-opted the Winter Solstice.  If I felt like being brutally honest? I would tell them that December 25 had absolutely nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. I mean, most historians agree that Jesus was most likely born in September. I’d speak up and say these things and I would get rewarded by kids teasing me and calling me a ‘devil worshiper’ and teachers trying to speak to me about these so-called ‘facts’ as I called them. And before anyone asks me, no. I did not go to a religious school. I went to a public county school from kindergarten through to high school. I guess the teachers at my school just felt like it was their moral duty or something to try and better enrich my soul. They would send letters home to my Mom and Dad (when he was still in the picture) to try and speak with them about what I was telling the other children but for the most part, my family actively encouraged me to think for myself and form my own opinions. My Mom and Dad (and yes, Grams) were a fair bit more into the whole church scene than I was and they never once tried to pressure me into attending services.”

“In response to these letters that I had to bring home, my Dad told the school faculty that I was entitled to my opinions and if they didn’t want to hear what I had to say, then they shouldn’t be asking me the questions. One of the fair few times my old man actually stuck up for me.”

“Oh and before anyone asks, no I was not and am not into any kid of New Age or Occult religious beliefs. I was born and baptized as a Roman Catholic, I just had what Mom called a ‘wandering mind’ and I liked to find things out for myself. It’s what flustered my teachers and classmates the most about the above; they would try to press into my head that Christmas was a holy holiday and I would counter if that were true, then why were so many Christmas traditions born from Pagan holidays? Christmas trees and stockings hung by the chimney with care. Santa Clause himself. Gift giving. Feasting. The Yule log and mistletoe and holly. All Pagan in origin. And when the kids (and teachers) expressed disbelief, I dared them to look up the facts for themselves. But of course, they never did. They wanted to hold onto their personal holiday beliefs and not let a little thing like facts get in their way.”

“To each their own, I say! I am not here to judge. I am also not here to discount the whole family gatherings and gift giving and receiving. I actually am rather fond of it myself. I love my family (the vast majority of them) and I love spending time with them, and not just at the holidays. The holidays just make being with them just a touch more special, if you know what I mean. And the presents? Well who doesn’t enjoy the thrill of finding gifts under the tree on Christmas morning with your name on them? Tearing off that colorful paper and finding an absolute treasure inside! Or, on the flip side, wondering to yourself ‘What the hell is this?’ while putting on your best surprise face. (Hey I never said I wasn’t just a wee bit materialistic!) But as much as I love getting presents, giving them is just as much fun, if not more. I won’t deny the fact that some of my friends and family are hard to buy for - some more than others. But it’s the thrill of the hunt to find just that perfect gift for someone like my bestie Ariana or my Mom. Then sitting back and watching their faces light up when they see what I got them…”

“Unless of course they’re putting on their best surprise face! I kid, I kid!”

“Seriously, I’m twenty-three going on twenty-four, and Christmas still remains my favorite day of the year. Going to Midnight Mass with Mom and Grams on Christmas Eve - the one night I will willingly step inside of a church and keep my big mouth shut. Even I have to admit that there’s just something magical about the candles, the incense and the church choirs singing Christmas Carols alongside the usual hymns. Only getting a few hours sleep before waking up and just spending the day doing whatever it is that families do on this most special of days. We’ve all heard the saying that ‘you can’t go home’ and I know a fair few who either can’t go home or simply don’t want to. On any day of the year, not just holidays.”

“Not me. My family - especially my immediate family - means so much to me. Mom and Grams have been nothing short of supportive to me - at least as far as my being a member of the LGBTQ community goes. My wrestling career? Not so much. But right or wrong, they’ve been there for me and I live for the times when I get to go home to Seattle to see those two wondrous ladies, or when they get to come to Las Vegas where I live under SCW’s banner. But spending Christmas with them, and even the more annoying members of my family, that is never an opportunity that I would willingly waste!”

“And this year, maybe it’s just a bit more special. Ever since I met my BFF and she told me her story, Ari’s been welcome by Mom and Grams with open arms each and every holiday season. She’s another member of the family as far as they’re concerned! It’s a part of what makes them so special. And this year, there’s something to make this time a little more special. It’s not just the fact that Francisco is joining us for the first time and Ari gets to spend Christmas with someone a little extra special.”

Seattle, Washington - 12/22/2022 -
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

The hour was late, nearing midnight as a matter of fact. And despite the advanced hour, the airport was still a bustle of busy activity as men and women, young and old with children alike, rushed along their way. They were eager to either pick up their luggage and greet loved ones at the arrival gates and luggage carousels, or hurrying to get to their gates for a late ‘red eye’ flight to their intended destinations. None wishing to arrive any later than they had to the next morning, not wanting to waste a single moment with loved ones come Christmas Day. Carter sat in a vacant chair in the baggage claim area for flights arriving from Las Vegas, watching with a casual smile as family members greeted each other with warm embraces and even warmer tears of joy.

That was when a hand rested gently on his right shoulder from behind, startling him from his private thoughts. Carter turned his head and looked back and up over his shoulder into the smiling face of his guest for this year - Miles “Milo” Kasey. Carter stood up with a smile and greeted this man with open arms and one of Miles’s famous hugs.

“This year, so do I.”

Seattle, Washington
Christmas Morning - 2004

The five year old Carter McKinney lay beneath the warm, soft blankets on his bed in the home he and his parents had lived in since his birth. And like most children around the world, he was unable to sleep on this morning of mornings. And really, who could blame him - or them!? After all, all any kid wanted to do on this day was throw those covers off, run out into the front room and see what bounties Santa Claus had left for them beneath the colorfully decorated tree! But unfortunately, this household had a strict set of rules come Christmas morning, and one such rule was set in place by his father; Michael Summerdale. And that rule was that he wanted to be standing right there when his only son came running from out of his bedroom to see the mountain of gifts that jolly ol’ elf left for him the night before. His dad seemed to have a liking for recording his son racing to those presents and leaving the wrapping paper reduced to shreds.

The purpose? Damned if Carter ever really knew. He couldn’t recall a single time where his dad showed him the recording - or anyone else for that matter. Maybe he watched it privately or with Joanna, his wife and Carter’s mom, when their son wasn’t around. Or perhaps it was being saved for some sentimental memento for the future. Given circumstances over the past near-decade, that point was relatively moot.

The point was, Michael had left their house to pick up his mother-in-law Joan and her husband (at the time), Abraham Quinn at the McKinney family estate. And Carter was not to get out of bed to investigate Santa’s offerings until they returned. At least, that was his dad’s rule. His mom Joanna, however…

The bedroom door opened just wide enough so Joanna could slip her head inside and look toward the small bed where her son was pretending to sleep. She smiled, despite herself, because she could always tell when Carter was only pretending to sleep. That, and the fact that his excitement for Christmas morning had his feet sticking out from beneath the covers and fidgeting was a dead give away.

“Carter?” She whispered with a soft ‘psst’ to better attract his attention. And the cover was pulled down and the small boy peeked out from under to his mom who beckoned him with a wave of her hand. The five year old wasted no time in throwing off the covers and following her out into the hallway of their modest, two bedroom house.

“Now just a quick peek.” Joanna cautioned him, guiding him down the hall with a hand on his back. They reached the end of the hall and Carter tip-toed toward the corner of the hallway and slipped his head around so he could steal a quick glance, and there it was; the spruce tree decorated in bulbs and lights and garland. And beneath it, a virtual mountain of gifts for him and the family, each lavishly wrapped in colorful paper. Carter’s eyes darted to and fro, trying to decipher in his childlike mind which might be for him and whether or not any of them could be that coveted E*L*M*O* toy, or perhaps even the Hogwarts Lego set - of which his parents both had agreed he was much too young to assemble.

But before he could further investigate, or dare we suggest, make a surprise attack on the gifts before his mother could stop him, they heard a car pull into the drive from outside.

That’s your father and Grams!” Joanna said as she quickly turned Carter around and ushered the boy back toward his bedroom with a soft pat on the backside. “Back to your bed! Hurry now!” And away he went, as fast as his five year old legs could take him. He slammed his bedroom door behind him and practically dove back under the covers to await the anticipated call from his dad.

Not that he would be able to dive right into the presents, mind you. That was another rule for Christmas morning, and this one came from his mom; no presents until you’ve had breakfast. Luckily breakfast on Christmas morning was usually something quick. A glass of milk and one of his mom’s homemade cinnamon rolls more than likely. Boy! He could just taste that homemade buttercream frosting now when he heard from the living room…

“Carter! Come on out!” It was the sound of his dad’s voice, and he needed no further prompting. He practically fell out of bed, jumping from beneath the covers for the second straight time that morning and, tangling his feet within, fell to the floor. He didn’t allow that to deter him as he scrambled to his feet, threw open the door and came running down the hall until he saw his beloved Grams and Abraham, the last man that she would marry. Carter adored his Grams even then, practically falling into her arms for a hug as he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist.

Abraham rubbed a hand gently on his ‘bed head’, playfully ruffling his hair as a grandfather might be prone to doing. Carter looked up to his ‘grandpa’ with a wistful smile before he turned to his dad and asked, “Dad? You know what we should do this year?”

“What’s that?” Michael asked, humoring him. To which Carter answered, “Open presents first, and then breakfast!”

Michael turned to his wife, prepared to agree with his son and Joanna quickly said, “Tell him no.”

“No.” Michael immediately said, but with a smile. “Awww!” Carter moaned as he was guided down the hall by the adults and toward the kitchen before Christmas morning - for him at least - could truly begin.

“I think that’s the first time I can remember you ever mentioning him.” Miles said simply from the passenger side of the SUV Blazer, the vehicle Carter’s mom had loaned him for the drive to the airport to pick Miles up.

“Mention who?” Carter asked, carrying on the casual conversation  between them as he continued to focus carefully on the road in front of him. Even at this hour as it was now past midnight, the roads were busy - especially coming from the direction of the airport. Also, the weather had been threatening all day to turn loose the heavy rainfall that seemed to befit Seattle at this time of year. And coupled with the extreme chilly temperatures, Carter was taking no chances with his mom’s SUV - and the special passenger beside him.

“Your dad.” Miles answered, his eyes straying from the man driving beside him to gazing outside of the window as the rain pelted against the glass in a heavy downfall. There was something mesmerizing, almost magical, about the way the city’s lights shone at night through the rain. “How come you never talk about him?”

“Fair. Well if I am going to be perfectly honest,” Carter answered, and using those words in particular told Miles in not so many words that he was about to get an earful. Carter continued, “There’s not much to talk about. The piece of shit hasn’t been a part of our lives in almost ten years.”

Miles turned away from watching the night and rainfall, to gaze at the young man as they drove into the city limits of Seattle where traffic was finally easing, although the weather seemingly felt no need to follow the set example as the rainfall was coming down a shard as ever. Miles offered, “Hey, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…”

“No, no. Don’t apologize.” Carter briefly took one hand from the wheel and patted Miles on the thigh, perhaps a bit closer to the ‘promised land’ than he might have expected. Carter put both hands back on the steering wheel as he went on to further explain, “Things got bad after he caught me and a friend of mine, Randy Coppler, kissing in my room. That was pretty much my coming out and he just couldn’t handle it. I guess it ruined his dream of the perfect son.”

“You haven’t seen him at all?” Miles asked, to which Carter shook his head and answered, “Not since he and Mom got their divorce. Things just weren’t the same after that. He wanted little to do with me and Mom and he started fighting. A lot. She accepted me straight away…”

Carter cast a sidelong and teasing look toward Miles and said, “Pun intended.” To which Miles snorted back a laugh. Carter then continued explaining, “I think the final nail in the coffin of his wanting to ‘fix me’ was when he told Mom he wanted to have me put into one of those con version places where they torture the gay away.”

At this, Miles turned his head sharply to Carter, feeling an rising heat in the pit of his stomach that was more anger directed at Carter’s father, a man that he had never met, than that airport burrito he had picked up earlier in the evening. Carter said, “Mom wouldn’t hear of it, and neither would Grams and Grandpa Abraham. Dad was the type who was used to getting his way so when he found himself outnumbered and outgunned, he walked. He didn’t ask for visitation, and Mom told him to shove the house up his ass since her name wasn’t on the lease.”

He could feel the question rising from Miles, so he spared him the awkwardness of the question and went on further, “Mom tried being a single mother but I guess I didn’t make it easy, all things considered. Plus she was in a dead end job at the library so her pay and bills weren’t meeting eye to eye. We moved back in with Grams and Abraham. They were nearing retirement and had cut back on their work hours so they could help with me, while Mom went back to school. Grandpa Abraham passed away a few years after. We’ve been there since.”

Miles, proving he could make for a keen observer and listener, said casually, “I notice your Mom and Dad had separate last names?”

“Mm.” Carter nodded in the affirmative as the SUV slowed down, turning a corner with care. “Grams was always a fiercely independent woman. Married three times and never took the last name of her husbands. She wouldn’t let Mom do it either when she married my Dad.” Carter cast a sidelong look to Miles, a soft chuckle escaping, “Grams always said the women keep their name in our family.”

“Fair enough.” Miles chuckled as he then noticed the SUV had finally come to a stop in a private drive, and Carter exclaimed, “Well, we’re here!”

“Here?” Miles then looked out the window to the impressive McKinney family estate and his eyes widened and he let out a low whistle through pursed lips.

The house in which Carter spent much of his life with his family was nothing short of impressive in size and style. In passing Carter had mentioned his Grams had worked for thirty years as a paralegal before she retired, and two of her first husband and his mom’s father had been a successful real estate agent. The house had been a part of their family ever since. Cared for meticulously and decorated with sensible good taste, there was little reason to wonder why Carter felt at home here. Carter unfastened his seat belt, and following his example, Miles did the same and opened the passenger door, saying, “Best be quiet so we don’t wake everyone.”

“Little chance of that!” Carter said as he hurried back around to open the trunk of the SUV to help retrieve Miles’s luggage and some packages he could not help but notice he had brought along. “Everybody is still awake!”

“Everyb-” Miles paused from helping Carter with his stuff, looking at the young man first and then toward the house where he now realized there were lights on inside. Watching where his eyes had gone, Carter laughed.

“Well you didn’t expect Mom and Grams not to be awake to greet you, did you??”

The moment he set foot inside of the McKinney house, Miles could sense that Joan, the woman Carter affectionately coined “Grams,” was a woman of seriously wondrous taste. The house was very carefully decorated, yet not overdone. Miles had even heard whispers of a wine cellar, and was curious where the entrance to THAT was, knowing Joan had seriously good taste when it came to amazing reds.

No sooner did Carter and Miles set as much as they could carry into the foyer of the house than they were greeted, “There you are!” by none other than Ariana as she walked out of the kitchen to greet the two men, followed closely by her boyfriend, Francisco. Ari said, “We were wondering where you were!”

“My flight got delayed.” Miles admitted as Carter’s family also entered. “I wasn’t able to call so, that’s on me.”

“Oh dear, I missed you!” Grams said as she walked up with the brightest of smiles, to which Carter blinked in confusion, “Grams, you just saw me two hours ago before I left!”

“Not you, dear.” Grams all but nudged her grandson out of the way so she could greet her guest Miles with a fond embrace, welcoming him into her home. For everything Miles had done for her grandson during the last few tumultuous months, she would not hear of it when informed Miles would have most likely been spending Christmas alone.

Joan separated from Miles and it was then Joanna’s turn as she greeted Miles with her own embrace, adding a peck on the cheek for how he had been so supportive of her son through recent events. Joan had helped Miles out of his jacket, having been warned ahead of time of how cold Seattle could get this time of year, and passed it to her grandson who hung it up on the rack beside the door, along with his own jacket.

Grams then slipped her arm into that of Miles’s own and proceeded to escort him through the foyer and past the living room, toward the kitchen. She said, “Now I am sure you’re tired and you want to get some rest, but you must be famished.”

“A little bit…” Miles found himself admitting, despite not wanting to put his hosts out anymore than he believed he already might. But Grams continued on, saying, “Well my boy, I always say if you go to bed or leave my home hungry, you have no one to blame but yourself!”

And she steered him into the dining room just off of the kitchen where a B-I-G steaming pot of her homemade goulash was ready to be served. Six places had been set around the table for the late meal, and Miles could not help but notice that Grams had intentionally set him beside her grandson. Doing his duty as grandson and man of the house, Carter filled the bowls of their guests from the pot first, followed by his Grams and Mom, and finally, himself.

Once seated, everyone proceeded to dig in, Miles not realizing what would turn out to be only the first of many bowls of this treat, kicking off what would soon become one of the best Christmases Carter could remember having in recent memory.

December 23

What a day! Miles had FINALLY managed to get into the actual kitchen of the McKinney house to help Ariana cook dinner so that Grams and Carter’s mom could take the day off. They appreciated the gesture too, because from what they said, both women would be up extra earl in the morning to get to work baking. Cookies. Pies. Cakes. Fudge. And a whole manner of sweet treats were on the menu for the entirety of the day; most of which were for the family but much would be passed out to a local children’s shelter - an annual tradition of the McKinneys as Miles had come to learn. One in which he was eager to help out, as were the others.

Ari had also offered to help with the treats but this time she was accepted into the fold. This had been a mother-daughter tradition between Joan and Joanna for years, and since Carter admittedly wasn’t the cook they were, the women opted to handle this assignment themselves while Carter, Miles and Francisco would have to find something to amuse themselves.

In the meantime, this day was better spent all around by all, sitting in front of the TV as the strong had continued, almost everyone still in their sleepwear - Grams and Joanna included, watching Christmas movies and sipping cocoa while eating takeout. Each member of the house, guests included, got to select one Christmas movie to share and enjoy throughout the day.

Miles had turned a few heads when he chose “Die Hard,” insisting that as it took place on Christmas, by proxy it was a Christmas movie. Ari chose A Nightmare Before Christmas, Francisco picked Scrooged. Grams chose Its A Wonderful Life and Joanna, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And Carter?

Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever - of course! They were all saving the Snoopy and Garfield specials for Christmas Eve, naturally!

By now, the hour was late and while most had wandered off to bed, Miles and Carter remained on the sofa together, watching one last Christmas film - Lord of the Rings. Yes, it has elves so it’s a Christmas movie!  All the lights were off, save for the flickering lights from the HDTV on the wall airing the above mentioned film. Miles’s attention was fully on the adventures of four Hobbits, two men, a dwarf and an elf, when he heard someone come from out of the kitchen. He turned his head just enough to see Grams emerge with a glass of milk in hand, stopping by one last time to check on “her boys” before turning in.

Only before she could say anything, she stopped and smiled at the sight she saw before her. It had been a long day for her grandson, and try as he might, he simply could not keep his eyes open any longer. He had fallen asleep, his head now resting on Miles’s own broad shoulder while he slept silently.

Miles looked up at her as she smiled down at him over this warm, sweet moment. Miles just smiled back at her while she patted his arm and went on her way, Miles turning his attention back to the movie so as not to disturb and wake up the sleeping Carter.

12/28/2022 - Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

It was as they say - all good things must come to an end. And the Christmas celebration with his friends and family this year was no different. Carter had already bid farewell to his bestie Ariana and Francisco yesterday, and now it was time to see Miles off as he was set to catch a flight to New York City to celebrate New Years Eve with some friends in the West Northwest. Of course, after being served with papers from Lazarus with intent to sue, much of the recent uplifted mood had been deftly spoiled and Miles had tried to backtrack on his plans to ring in 2023 - and act Carter would not hear of.

Much as he enjoyed Miles’s company, Carter could be as stubborn as the women of his family and he did not want anyone changing special plans on his account. Especially when whatever was going to go down between his ex and himself wouldn’t take place until after the New year had been brought in.

Thus, here they were at the airport, Miles, Carter and Carter’s Mom and Grams. The women had considered remaining home so Carter could have this time alone to bid his “friend” goodbye, but they too wanted to see him off, and Miles welcomed the company. Unfortunately, none of them were able to gain a gate pass so that they could bypass security and go to Miles’s gate to await his departure with him. So, the security checkpoint line was as far as they could go before seeing him off.

Miles turned to the three who had just gifted him with one of the better Christmases he could say he had in recent memory. He was met with smiles from Grams and Joanna, and Carter’s own seemed tight, if not genuine.

Miles finally said as they stepped aside, allowing others to join the line before Miles would himself. “I can’t thank you enough for having me.”

“Nonsense, dear.” Grams stepped up, embracing Miles and giving him a soft peck on the cheek before stepping back. “It was our pleasure.”

Then it was Joanna’s turn, as she gave Miles the tightest and warmest of hugs. She whispered to him, “I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for my boy.”

“It was my pleasure.” Miles whispered back, and before they separated, Joanna cupped Miles’s face in the palms of her hands and said aloud, “You make sure you come back to visit!”

“Yes ma’am.” Miles smiled with a genuine sincerity, having felt welcomed from the first moment he set foot inside of their house. It was then that he turned to Carter and held his arms out, saying with a smile, “Don't think you’re getting away without a hug.”

Carter could just smile tightly as he stepped up and indulged in the hug, one in which he returned as good as he got, and one he did not want to let go of. MIles leaned in close to whisper, “Thanks for having me.”

“Don’t thank me.” Carter whispered in return. “I haven’t had you yet.”

“Promises, promises.” Miles mused as they stepped back away from one another. Miles turned and saw the growing line before he sighed and looked back to the three. He said, “I suppose I can’t put this off any longer.”

Bidding the three farewell, Miles joined the growing line of airline passengers seeking to get through security en route to their respective gates. The entire time, Carter’s eyes never left him as Grams and Joanna shared a brief look before looking at their boy. Every so often as he waited in line, Miles turned to them from afar and gave them a smile and wave. Finally, once Miles had waved one last time and disappeared into the annals of the airport, did Grams take that step forward and place a hand on the shoulder of her grandson.

“Are you alright?” She asked, she and her daughter were able to read Carter’s feelings as easily as an open book. Carter started to nod, but froze for a moment and then shook his head, answering, “I’m really not.”

“Carter,” His mom stepped up and wrapped an arm around her son’s shoulder, offering him what comfort she was able given the circumstances. She asked, “Why didn’t you say something?”

“It doesn’t matter.” he shook his head sadly as the two ladies turned him around to escort him back the way they came. “Good things like that don’t happen to me.”

“I don’t mind admitting that lately my life has been one Stephen King novel after another. A thrill ti experience with lots of twists and turns, but when you slow down and look back, you realize that it was really nothing more than a sinister horror story that would give Edgar Allen Poe nightmares. From a professional standpoint, everything that I set out to accomplish after SCU closed and I was signed to SCW - has failed miserably. I’d be lying if I tried to convince anyone out there that I was experiencing the same success here that I did there. Oh I’ve gotten some good wins under my belt, but that was more at the start of my SCW career. The moment - the very moment - that I started to let my personal life affect my professional, any momentum that I had built up stopped. Just like that!”

He snapped his fingers.

“Now, I am pretty happy to admit that things in my personal life are starting to look up. My professional … that remains to be seen. My first match back from my injuries did nothing to soothe my confidence. Stepping inside of the ring with Mac Bane tends to have that effect on a guy. I went in there thinking I was about to change the world and Mac beat. My. Ass!”

He held up a forefinger, a pointed expression on his face.

“And not in the good way! Now, I was under the impression that I was going to be left off the first Supercard of the year. I mean, I gave the higher ups no real reason lately to further invest in me so why would they waste a spot at Inception VI on little ol’ me? When lo and behold, bam! I get a call from Ari to tell me I not only have a spot on the show, but I’m up against none other than Senor Vinnie … or is it Brother Vinnie?”

He frowned in confusion, then shook his head.

“One more name change and we may have to start calling him Crystal! But then I froze and was all like, wait - what!? Vinnie!? Former World Heavyweight and Internet Champion?? THAT Vinnie! Wow! As far as quality of opponents, I have to say that next to Mac, Vinnie might very well be my most acclaimed opponent here in SCW! Which tells me one of two things; the bosses want to push Vinnie to the stratosphere once again and they think to let him use me as a stepping stone to pad his won-loss record a little further - or … they have genuine confidence in me that I can give Vinnie the fight he deserves and maybe - just maybe - this Carter kid can pull off the big upset and kick start a whole new year with a whole new outlook!”

He smiled and pointed a finger toward the camera deftly.

“I think that’s the option I’ll go with! Now Vinnie, the man himself? I have to admit that you’re not the easiest guy to face, let alone focus a promo against. I honestly don’t know which Vinnie to expect inside of the ring, nor who will be staring into that camera as he tells the world what he intends to do to me once that bell rings. Will it be Bad Vinnie who we’ve seen sneak back out to surprise us every now and then, even though we’ve been told a lot of empty promises that this version of yourself is gone for good – or is Good Vinnie who genuinely apologized to Fenris and wants the adoration of the fans and the respect of his peers?”

Carter shrugged.

“No idea. Good for you, bad for me. Because how on earth do you prepare for someone who is capable of absolutely anything? Not to mention when said opponent has me outsized by a fair amount? What is it, ten inches in height and almost a hundred pounds in weight? Well, lucky for me, I have an edge that maybe you won’t see coming. You see, I have someone at the GO Gym where I was trained and where I train to this day, that made a pretty storied career out of wrestling men that were bigger than you while he was smaller than me, and you know something? He beat them.”

“Every. Damn. Time!”

Carter nodded seriously.

“Right. I’m talking about Despayre, Vinnie. Now I won’t even begin to compare myself to him or what he’s accomplished inside of the ring, but I come from the best stock where training is concerned, and if anyone can help me get ready for facing someone that has all the physical advantages of size and strength, it’s that little guy! The men and women from that gym, students and trainers alike? They made storied careers out of facing people bigger than them and more often than not, coming out smelling like a garden of roses! I know how to bring a man your size down to the mat and keep him there! I know how to go unorthodox and throw you off whatever game plan Pete the Cactus has drilled into that head of yours! The sky's the limit for a man your size, but when a smaller guy like me can use all of your advantages to his own? There is no going back! If you don’t believe me, pop in some footage of SCU and watch - and learn! I was far from being the biggest man down there, but anyone who ever looked at me and judged me soft because of my size and appearance learned the hard way that I was anything but! I proved I could wrestle when I won the SCU Pride Tag titles, the TV Championship AND the Underground title! But that’s not all…”

“I also proved that I could fight when I surprised EVERYONE by winning the Combat Championship! Won it, and defended it time and again! It didn’t matter what kind of hardcore combat environment that they put me in, I met it with my head held high, knowing I was going to just keep surprising my detractors and proving them wrong! All the armchair critics that were convinced that a flamboyant gay guy couldn’t fight hardcore style… I made them eat their words! Each and every one of them! I proved that I could fight mainly because I had to. Not just to stay safe in school or on the street, but god…”

He smiled and shook his head with delight.

“The look on some bastard’s face who thought he could pick an easy fight with the gay kid, only to turn around and get his ass handed to him? Oh there’s no look sweeter! But enough about that!”

He waved it off.

“I never wanted to be known as that gay wrestler or gay fighter. I just want the world to see me as what I am; a successful wrestler who can fight – and just so happens to be gay. I guess what I am trying to say here Vinnie is…”

He held his palms together, looking up and trying to find the right words before lowering his hands back down and looking closely into the camera. He shook his head.

“Experience aside, success aside, you don’t have the advantage this time around. You went into your match against Fenris knowing what to expect and you seized it. You know less about what to expect from me than I do about you. You talk a great game, Vinnie. You always entertain and yeah, I can admit it; you're great for a laugh when you’re in the right mood. But the time for laughing is over. This is no joke. It’s not going to be some comedy routine. You’re not out there planning a wedding for that cactus of yours and Barnhart’s dog. You’re against me! You’re up against a man who might have a lot less experience than you but has averaged more championship gold in less than three years than you have in your entire in-ring career!”

“2023 is going to be my year, Vinnie. And it starts at Inception VI. The sooner you can accept that, the better we’ll all be.”

"The bravest thing you can be is yourself."