Author Topic: Season's Beatings...a message from a hospital bed  (Read 386 times)

Offline Vixen

• The Fox
    • View Profile
    • Vixen
Season's Beatings...a message from a hospital bed
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
 “It’s the most wonderful time of the year…”

Standing in the middle of what looks like a snowstorm on the airport taxi stand, Vixen can’t help but sing along with a commercial that is playing on one of the little television screens nearby.  

Having come home to Ottawa had been a crazy one off trip that she had made to talk to someone that could set her right.  Walking into the gym where she had trained for most of her basic training in the military had been hard enough but stepping into the hospital in the city where she grew up hurt.  The one person she could share her worries with had looked so small when she had remembered her as being bigger than life.

~*~
A few days ago, Vixen’s foster mother had slipped and fallen at her home when Vixen had arrived with a surprise for Christmas.  The older lady had gone down hard clutching her chest and lay awkwardly on the walkway as Vixen panickedly called 911.  Later that day, Vixen sat at the woman’s bedside reading her messages as the older lady slept in a drugged stupor.

“Great,” mutters Vixen as she reads about her upcoming match, “a tag match for Christmas, who would have thought it.  Guess Misty and I will be fighting someone that really wants to make a name for themselves or probably one more time against the Fallen.”  

“Who?” asks a quivery voice from the bed as Vixen punches in some kind of response.

Looking up, Vixen’s face lights up as the old lady opens her eyes and takes in the bombshell who is wiping away an errant tear.  “The Fallen are a tag team Nona,” answers Vixen as she leans forward and puts her hand on Nona’s.  As she does, the cell phone in her other hand vibrates as Wizards in Winter begins to play.  Raising it upwards, she reads the match card.  

“I was right, it’s the Fallen and they are coming with someone named Phoenix,” says Vixen with conviction.  “But I’m not teaming with Misty…this is interesting.  I am teaming with one of the teams I beat at the supercard, the one team that gave Misty and I a run for our belts.”

“Are they any good,” asks Nona, moving slightly only to curse as the pain throbs through her hip.  “What the hell happened to me?”

“You fell and broke a hip,” replies Vixen as she rises and offers her help to make Nona more comfortable.  “And yes, the Foshan Bombshells are good.  This is going to be a match to be watching for sure.  I think though that I have the better teammate than the Fallen do.  These girls are intense and focused and one hell of a team.  And they are going to need me to be focused as well and I think that watching what is going on in the federation, I need to get my focus where it belongs.”

“Then,” Nona begins, “you need to quit thinking about everything but what you need to do this week.  After all you have your career and that nice young man of yours…” she says with a twinkle in her eye.  “Besides Vixie, you know that when it comes to life you haven’t always been on the right side but you gave it your all and lived life to the fullest.  I want you to know that the Fo…whatever their name is has the best partner in that ring.”

“I know Nona and I respect the two of them,” offers Vixen as she once again sits beside the bed.  “It is just that I know the Fallen and I know they aren’t above using any means necessary to win and this JD Phoenix girl is cut from the same mold.  Being the good guys might be a disadvantage for us…”

“You just get that thought out of your head too.  You are the toughest chickie I have seen and trust me when I tell you that I have seen many,” says Nona.  “None of them did the things you did.  You got your life turned around and I am proud to say that I am glad I got to be the one to help raise you up that way.”

Vixen chuckles as she shakes her head.  “Even when I got involved with that wrong group?” she asks softly.

“Even then,” replies Nona.  “You got in the army and you straightened up.  Why you stay around an old broad like me doesn’t make sense but I’m glad you do.”

“Because you crazy old lady,” offers Vixen with a smile.  “You are the closest thing to a mom I am ever going to have.  So what am I going to do with you being laid up for Christmas huh?”

“We’ll take real good care of her,” answers a youngish doctor who comes into the hospital room where he sets the chart down and pulls a stethoscope out to listen to the woman’s heartbeat.  “She won’t be missing much other than being home for Christmas.  I do promise though, Santa will be coming through.”

The pair laugh along with the doctor who does a final check on Nona’s iv then with a smile leaves once more.  Vixen sobers up as she leans down to hug the woman.    “I love you Nona,” she whispers as the older lady wraps her arms around Vixen.

“Merry Christmas Vixie,” she answers.  “And give those Fallen and Phoenix characters some Season’s Beatings for me too.”
~*~

Sitting in the airport, Vixen looks down at her cell phone and smiles at the video she had been looking at.  Nona and her at the hospital, matching grins, the bombshell tag belt between the two of them.  Nona looking directly into the camera it seems and smiling, her blue veined hand resting comfortably on the belt.

“My girl Vixie here is going to prove to you why she is the bombshell tag champion,” says Nona as Vixen tells her that she is facing the Bombshell champion Gothika with her partner Diamond and JD Phoenix.  “I don’t care if you are facing the biggest ugliest she dogs in the world, Vixie my girl is the Bomb diggety!”

“Bomb diggety…really Nona?” says Vixen as she doubles over with laughter on the video.

“Miss…excuse me but they just called your flight for Vegas,” says one of the counter girls.  

Vixen gets to her feet and nods with a wave of thanks as she heads to the skywalk to board the plane.

“I hope that the Foshan Bombshells are going to be ready…the Bomb diggety is on her way to get herself the win!” Vixen softly exclaims as she disappears around the corner  and into the plane.

>