Author Topic: Lending A Helping Hand  (Read 609 times)

Offline Bobbie Dahl

• View Profile
    • Bobbie Dahl
Lending A Helping Hand
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:00:36 PM »
(Apologies if the ending seems kind of rushed. I threw my back out and in a considerable amount of pain so had to finish it as soon as I could after that.)

Monday February 26th
Henderson, Nevada
Lending A Helping Hand

It was just about two weeks ago when Bobbie’s parents had spilled the good news and announced that they had purchased a new home near Las Vegas. They had sold their long time family home in Coal City, Illinois and decided that they would retire closer to their daughter as she pursued her wrestling career in SCW. Bobbie was less than thrilled at first, given the fact that she had grown up in the house in Illinois. Her reluctance to accept this news could have also been due to the fact that her anxiety- Piper as she has been known to call it-had been making her more irritable lately for a variety of reasons. But Bobbie was a trooper and was fighting the good fight against any negativity trying to overwhelm her.

Of course she was thrilled that her parents would now be living closer to her, Artie and Loki. It wasn’t exactly easy when they made the decision to move to Las Vegas in the first place, but travelling back and forth was even harder sometimes. So they had made the leap, and they haven’t looked back even after a couple of years now. Hopefully the same would be said for her parents, but only time would tell that story.

The move had gone fairly quickly. After closing on the selling of their home in Illinois, the closing on their new home in Henderson was not long after. Bobbie and Artie were able to help a good deal during the week off following My Bloody Valentine, and today was the day that the movers had finally arrived at the new house with whatever belongings they had decided to bring with them. It was much less than they had owned previously, given the fact they were choosing to downsize their living situation in their retirement days.

“This feels so weird!” Bobbie says loudly from the front living room of the new house. She was laid out on the sofa, as they all were taking a break from unpacking what they could. “I’m gonna miss the Coal City house.”

Her mother, Barbie, walks into the living room with two glasses of ice water, setting them both down on coasters on the coffee table. Bobbie sits up, allowing her mother to take a seat next to her and she responds. “I’m going to miss it, too, sweetie. But we really needed a change. That house was just too big for just your father and I, and we missed being close to you at the same time. It will be an adjustment for all of us.”

Bobbie sighs before she reaches for her glass of water. Artie was still off in another room helping her father with something. “And you’re sure Dad was okay with this move? He did so much work on that house, I’m surprised he even agreed to sell it.”

Barbie nods. “We wouldn’t have made the move if he wasn’t okay with it, Bobbie.” She says, leaning back on the sofa, enjoying her short break. “The decision took a while, but he came around. Don’t you worry, sweetie. We’re not going to regret anything about this move.”

Bobbie just nods her head slowly, doing her best to believe her mother. She wanted her parents to be happy, but not at her expense. Ultimately, however, she knew it was their decision and what happens, happens. Bobbie looks around the new house, and although it is not fully decorated and made “homey,” she musters up a smile. “This really is a nice place.” She stands up from the sofa and looks past the kitchen and to a patio door leading to the backyard. “And Loki will definitely love visiting here with that backyard.”

Her mother smiles as she, too, stands up. The two walk to the patio door and just look outside at the backyard. It’s not over-sized, but with the fenced in space they have, it is perfect for the grand-puppy to visit every once and a while and romp around for some playtime. “Oh I know he will. He’s such a sweet boy and we love him to bits.”

Bobbie senses that although her mother is being genuine with that statement, there is a hint of sadness in her tone. And she knows exactly what this is about. “I’m sorry I can’t give you any grandbabies to play with in this backyard, Mom.” She replies without even looking at her mother. The apology almost brings her to tears, but she manages to hold them back.

Her mother is caught off guard and she turns and just stares at her daughter. “Why on earth would you say something like that, Bobbie?” She expects Bobbie to turn and face her, but she doesn’t. She keeps staring out into the backyard, almost imagining what she’ll believes she will never have. “Roberta Jean Dahl, you look at me.”

Uh-oh. The use of the full name. Bobbie has no choice but to turn and face her mother, trying her best to be upbeat. “Look, I know you and Dad were looking forward to having grandbabies run around to spoil considering you never had any other kids after me.” Bobbie says, finally breaking her silence. Her mother just looks at her, letting her speak and get everything off her chest. “And as scary as the thought of having kids was, I was looking forward to giving you that. And giving Artie and his parents that, too. But I guess–”

“Stop right there,” her mother quickly interrupts her, holding up her index finger. Bobbie immediately lets her words trail off, because she wasn’t about to challenge her mother. “I have given you the time you needed these last couple of weeks and not brought up this subject, because I knew you needed time. You still haven’t told me the details on all of this, and I am not going to ask about it now. You can tell me in your own time.” She pauses, still staring at her daughter. “But do not let this situation make you think less of yourself, Bobbie. Where there is a will, there is a way, and if you and Artie decide that you want a child badly enough, you will find a way to make it happen.”

Bobbie again nods slowly, but can’t think of the words to say. She doesn’t even realize that Artie and her father were now standing behind them, having reappeared from whatever they were doing in the other room. Artie is awkwardly silent, and to their surprise, her father is the one to speak up.

“Good lord, Barbie, are you pressuring her on the kid subject again?!” He says, anger leaking through as he assumes what he is saying is true. Bobbie and her mother turn to face the men in their lives having had no idea they were standing there.

“Geez, Dad!” She says slightly startled. “How long have the both of you been standing there?”

“Long enough.” Artie replies, breaking his silence.

Her father steps forward, his attention focused on his wife. But before he can say another word, Bobbie stops him to defend her mother. “She didn’t bring it up, Dad. I did. And it’s fine. She wasn’t pressuring me on anything.”

Ken looks at his wife apologetically and she just nods, insisting quietly that no harm, no foul. He then turns back to his daughter. “Listen to me, Bobbie. Right now I want you to focus on this good thing you got going in SCW, okay? You’re on such a great run and I’ve never seen you so excited or happy as you have been since this most recent run you’ve had. I don’t want to see you let anything get in the way of that.” He places his hands on Bobbie’s shoulders, being the best father as he had always been.

“I know, Dad. Thanks.” She says, smiling back to her father. “I’m not going to lie, though. This Roulette Division is hard work. It’s getting tougher for me to defend my title with what matches the roulette wheel gives us. It’s taking longer for my body to recover.”

Artie finally walks up to them, and he has a grin on his face. “And you think having a kid would be any easier?” He laughs, as does Bobbie’s parents. Bobbie can’t help but let out a laugh of her own.

“Well, no.” She shrugs. “But you know what I mean! I just can’t expect this streak I’m on to go on forever, ya know? Hell it could end this week, because I’ve got another defense coming up already.”

Artie shakes his head and laughs. “Yeah, against Bea Barnhardt. That’s hardly anyone to be worried about.”

Bobbie’s mood has quickly lifted as the topic of conversation has transitioned to SCW. They put they put the topic of babies into the background, for now, trying to get Bobbie to focus her attention on her career for now. She lets out a sigh before she responds. “Artie, I would normally agree with you, but with this being a Roulette match, anything can happen. I’m barely back to one hundred percent as it is after the ladder match against Harper. Lord only knows what–”

“Relax, Bobbie.” Artie says, trying to reassure his wife. Even her father gives her a quick hug, trying to do the same, and her mother nods also. “We’ll spend the rest of the week doing whatever we need to do to make sure that you are physically ready for this match against Bea. You’re not going to lose your title just yet, okay?”

“We can’t guarantee that, Artie!” She snaps, trying to be realistic. She was confident, yes, but this time around she was trying to keep herself from being overly confident because that is what ruined her in the past. “I might not lose to Bea, but there is also the fact that I have to worry about the possibility of Georgie Robertson and that damn briefcase coming into play.”

“Alright, alright.” Bobbie’s mother quickly interrupts. All eyes turn to her. “I think we all should go out for some dinner and focus on something else for the rest of the night. No talk of babies, or the struggles of defending your title. Just…something else.”

“That works for me.” Artie says, rubbing Bobbie’s back. “Tomorrow we can get down to business and start getting you ready for your match.”

“We need to go home and check on Loki before we do anything.” Bobbie says, her way of agreeing.

They all nod and after a few moments they all get ready to head out for dinner. Bobbie would play along for the rest of the night, knowing her mother had a point. But in the back of her mind, she knew she would be thinking about everything her mother did not want her to be thinking about. That was the thing with anxiety. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, your mind just doesn’t shut off and worries about everything all at once. And while she was able to overcome it in her last two defenses, she couldn’t deny that it wasn’t getting any easier.

But she would fight as long as she could with everything she has in her. She wasn’t ready to lose her title yet. She wasn’t sure if she would ever be ready to lose it…

Well, well, well…here we go again, and so soon after successfully defending my title against Harper Mason at My Bloody Valentine V! That’s right, yours truly has yet another title defense this week, bringing the tally up to three since I’ve been champion! Now don’t take that as me complaining, because I’m not. I would actually be complaining if they weren’t booking me in title defenses, and I am sure other people would also. If there is one thing I hate most, it’s when a champion doesn’t put in the work for the company they represent! Well, I’m here to work, and work is what I will do!

Let me start by saying that man oh man, what a show My Bloody Valentine V was. While my match wasn’t exactly much to add to the title of the show, it definitely was physically demanding and Harper came oh so close to ending my reign earlier than I wanted it to end. Thankfully, I used every bit of energy and strength I had in me and I made sure that I walked out of there still the Bombshell Roulette Champion. It’s not easy, and it’s taking its toll week in and week out, but at the same time it’s what I need right now! I need these challenges. I need the unknown and the randomness the roulette wheel gives us, because every match…every challenge…prepares me for the next one! I gain more and more experience and clarity each time, and not only that…I get better and better each time. This is the best I have ever been, and I’m not about to stop now. Especially not against someone like Bea Barnhardt!

I’m gonna get straight down to business with this one, because I want to make a lot very clear to Mrs. Bulldog Barnhardt. It’s been a long time since we faced off in the ring…damn near four years actually. But I haven’t forgotten what this witch said last time we faced off. And let me tell you, I was a fool to ever let myself be anything less than confident going against her. You hear that, Bea? Oh, I’m sure you do, honey, and let me tell you I am so damn excited to be facing you in whatever match the roulette wheel decides.

Four years ago you had quite a lot to say against me, Bea. You focused a lot on my weight and did quite a lot of shaming me for it, which is not surprising honestly. Women like you do everything in their power to bring someone down and belittle them for every little thing because it makes them feel better about their own shortcomings and imperfections. Oh, but you’re perfect, right Bea? HA! Wrong!

You haven’t changed much over the years either, Bea. You’re still the same boring, unsuccessful hag you have always been, but it just seems to be getting worse with time. I think you’re matches over the years have cost you a few thousand brain cells, or more, because listening to you talk is just…painful. Seriously, you’ve got the mind of a child or something, because you certainly don’t come across as a grown woman! And that husband of yours…yikes. But maybe that is what makes you two so perfect for one another. You’re both just equally airheaded.

You’ve got no chance in this match, Bea. You’re already zero and one against me. How is that for statistics? That’s something you like to throw out all the time, right? I guess you’re good at something at least…statistics. But you also seem to have a bit of a short term memory problem since you come across as a broken record and repeat yourself over and over and over again. Might want to get that checked out, honey. Memory problems are nothing to ignore, so just a suggestion.

Last time you also talked a lot about distractions, too. Make no mistake about it, I won’t get distracted in this match, Bea. I’ll be solely focused on beating your behind and enjoying every second of it. I don’t know why you’ve been given this opportunity at TRYING to take my title from me, but I’m going to prove to Mark and Christian what a huge mistake it was. Last time we faced off, I wasn’t overly concerned with whether I won or lost that match, but I’m not the same Bobbie, Bea. I’ve grown up a lot since then, which is more than you can say, right?

Your attitude is horrible, honey. You’be got the Goddess complex going on where you think you’re invincible, despite what your record shows. You’ve lost a hell of a lot more than you’ve won, and my guess is that your wins were the result of sheer damn luck. Well, luck will NOT be on your side, Bea. I promise you that. 

Ya know, I hate to be all over the place here, but I just can’t help myself going up against you, Bea. I usually try to have something nice to say about my opponents, because I truly believe that every Bombshell has what it takes to one day be a champion, but I just…I can’t say anything nice about you, Bea! I literally can’t think of anything, no matter how hard I try. Do you understand that, Bea?

Nobody likes you. Nobody thinks you should even be a part of this division because you just…you suck! You should stick to being a manager for your husband because in the ring, you don’t have what it takes and no matter what type of advantage you think you have over me? You simply don’t, Bea. And you never will.

You don’t have what it takes to be a champion, Bea. You don’t even have what it takes to WIN a match let alone a title. So you can throw all your insults and your statistics at me all you want, but it doesn’t erase the fact that whether you like it or not…this overweight blimp of a whale as you called me last time…I’m better than you in every way. Don’t like it? Well, try and prove me wrong. Key word…try.

Another failure is right around the corner for you, Bea. You want to be the Bombshell Roulette Champion? Now is just not your time, and as long as I have a say in it…it never will be.

See you Sunday, lady!
>