Author Topic: Close To The End - Life-Altering Choices  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
Close To The End - Life-Altering Choices
« on: November 03, 2023, 10:50:28 PM »
Huff... huff... huff...

~As we hear the sounds of heavy breathing, we quickly make sure that we're on the correct channel. Thankfully, we are, as the picture slowly gets lighted up to show the SCW cameraman making his way up several flights of stairs. Somehow, despite the heavy equipment, he keeps moving, finally reaching the top floor. The camera tilts over towards the carpet, as the cameraman works to control any urge to get sick from exertion.~

Cameraman: Never... again...

~We finally straighten up, looking around the offices, which are in various states of disrepair. It's clear we're back in the multi-story building that Peter Vaughn purchased next to his Garden of Betrayal. The cameraman takes a few steps to the side, seemingly leaning against a wall judging by the thunk we just heard.~

Cameraman: He says... to meet him here... so where... is he? I swear... if he calls... from the bottom floor...

~Suddenly, there's a dinging sound from behind the cameraman, catching his attention. He turns to the side, looking on in disbelief... as the elevator doors open. Peter Vaughn steps out, glancing to the right and smiling.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey there, friend. I heard from down below that you took the stairs to get up here. That's damn impressive, I have to admit. Respect!

~Vaughn puts out a fist, as if wanting a fist bump. It doesn't get returned, although Vaughn lets it hang there for way too long.~

Cameraman: You're... you're telling me... that the elevator is working?

Peter Vaughn: ... Well, of course! The elevator's always one of the first items on the list to get operational in a building like this. You think the construction workers want to keep lugging all their supplies up every floor, dozens of times a day?

~The camera slowly droops forward, forcing Vaughn to lean a little lower to stay in frame.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey, man, I'm sorry. I thought you knew. But wasn't the exercise worth it?

Cameraman: No.

Peter Vaughn: ...

~After a few seconds of awkward silence, the cameraman sighs and gets the camera sitting correctly again.~

Cameraman: So why did you want to record on this floor?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, here? Nothing, really.

~A grumble can be heard, letting us know that violence is certainly a possibility. Vaughn, though, steps to the side, opening up a nearby door labeled "Roof Access".~

Peter Vaughn: I wanted to head up here, actually. C'mon, just a few more steps...

~Vaughn heads up, as another grumble followed by a bleep from the censors can be heard. The cameraman, though, has already done too much to stop now, so heheads after him. We can see multiple workers up there, prying up different parts of the warped roof, getting to the support beams underneath. We watch for a second, before focusing on Vaughn again, who is now standing with a leg up on the edge.~

Cameraman: Is this safe?

Peter Vaughn: What, you think I'd take you somewhere that's dangerous?

~The camera starts backing up towards the doorway again, with Vaughn putting out his arms.~

Peter Vaughn: Wait! Yes, it's safe. Totally safe. They're just working on replacing some sections. After all, with winter right around the corner, the roof becomes extremely important for the rest of the renovations we've got going on.

~With that, Vaughn turns and looks out at the view. The cameraman moves a little closer, allowing us to see that Vaughn is staring at his Garden of Betrayal. He seems to like the aerial view.~

Peter Vaughn: That place sure has come a long way since all of this started, hasn't it? Just like me. Here I sit, the SCW Roulette Champion for months and months, finally approaching the milestone that I've been seeking since May. At the next Climax Control, the reign will be at 183 days. That means that I'll have second place locked up, having moved past Bill Barnhart for the honor. Rather ironic, really. That just leaves one record left to beat: the 190-day record of Griffin Hawkins, the SCW Hall of Famer. It's right there, boyo. I can feel it. I can TASTE it.

~Vaughn then turns back to the camera, stepping back from the roof. Despite his speech, he doesn't look too pleased.~

Peter Vaughn: And that's why the higher-ups are throwing the biggest obstacles they could find against me.

~He shakes his head, beginning to pace on the uneven rooftop, as the cameraman follows him, intrigued.~

Peter Vaughn: I don't think anyone would say it's a coincidence that the one man who's won a singles match against me in Sin City, the ONE MAN who I can say beat me cleanly, was put into this match. To me, it's fairly obvious that the SCW execs made a power move to try and block me from my record. I will admit, it's a master stroke, booking former World Champion Jack Washington in this one. And then there's the guy who's record I will have beaten by the time of the show, Bill Barnhart. A multi-time champion in his own right. No, the deck has clearly been stacked against me.

~Vaughn can't stop moving, stepping back and forth, feeling energized at the thought of what's to come.~

Peter Vaughn: I don't know if this is because I ruffled a few "old-school" feathers with my running for the record, or if someone genuinely believes that there needs to be a final test. But either way, if they think I'm just going to back down from this, they're completely mistaken. I have beaten every contender they've put into my path, some of them multiple times. I've survived the toughest of matches, and snapped down every danger to my reign, squashing all of their hopes and dreams to keep this championship. There's no possibility I'm going to let it end here, right before the finish line. I've put way too much on the line to allow for that to happen.

~Behind Vaughn, more hammering can be heard, as a new portion of the roof is getting rebuilt. Vaughn, though, pays no attention, as he continues to walk in circles, still thinking through everything that's happened.~

Peter Vaughn: I don't care that it's two of the "great" names of Sin City coming after me. It doesn't make a difference in how I'm going to fight. They could have brought back Griffin Hawkins or tagged back in Matthew Knox. They could have made it a Saviors Special and brought a war involving Hall of Famers Mac Bane and Goth. Whoever it was, I would be approaching this exactly the same way. Because it's not just about me anymore. It's about my promises. It's about my guarantees. And it's about my sacrifices.

~Vaughn turns away from the camera for a few steps, before twisting and stomping back towards it, raising a finger towards the camera.~

Peter Vaughn: If anything, this proves that I've been successful in making the Roulette Championship one of the most desired belts ever. They're coming out of the woodwork to go for it, and damn if I'm going to let them take it from me. I know they both want to be the one to say "I finally ended it", but they're going to be rendered speechless when I'm finished with them. If they're lucky, it won't be because their jaws are wired shut for the next six weeks. But it could definitely end up that way, if that's what it takes for me to retain one... more... time. Because, boyo, this man isn't going down anytime soon. I refuse to lose. I refuse... to fall!

~Vaughn yells out, looking up at the sky, with the cameraman looking up as well. A second later, there's the sound of a loud crash, as the cameraman brings the shot back down... and finds that Vaughn is no longer there. Confused for a moment, the cameraman pans left, then right, knowing that the exit is actually behind him. Vaughn couldn't have gotten by him. By the time he sees the construction workers running along the edges, yelling out for safety rope, he finally aims the camera lower... showing the large hole that's opened up in the warped, damaged roof.~

Cameraman: Oh my God...

~The cameraman inches forward, trying to aim inside the newly-created hole. He can't get close enough, though, as the whole structure appears now to be unstable.~

Cameraman: Peter?! PETER?!?!

~As a worker gets close, risking his own skin, the camera shot slowly fades out.~

Voice: Peter?

~The voice echoes strangely for a second, then seems to start coalescing together as it clears up. Vaughn's eyes open, blinking multiple times.~

Sadie Anderson: Peter? Are you awake?

~Vaughn turns his head to the side, focusing on his girlfriend, Sadie Anderson, sitting next to him. He slowly sits up from the hospital bed, smiling at her. The bandage on his forehead is extremely visible, as is the ones on his arms as he reaches out towards Sadie.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey, Sadie. It's good to see you.

~Vaughn gives Sadie a sideways hug, which Sadie leans into as if to make it a little easier for him. Vaughn then straightens up from her, pushing the sheets aside.~

Peter Vaughn: They wouldn't let me leave without someone picking me up.

~Vaughn gets out of the bed, still wearing a medical gown. Luckily, his backside is turned away from the camera. He reaches out for his coveralls, apparently hiding any winces or groans, as Sadie gets up, looking surprised.~

Sadie Anderson: Whoa, hold on, Peter! You just woke up, and I don't think you should be hurrying out of here!

Peter Vaughn: It was just a short nap. There was nothing on TV, so I decided to make use of the time while I waited. I knew you'd be coming soon, Sadie.

~Vaughn finishes getting his coveralls on, then reaches for his shoes, ignoring any injuries. Sadie still looks worried, watching him carefully. She comes around to his side, grabbing at his arm.~

Sadie Anderson: But Peter! You fell off a building!

~Vaughn glances over at her, an eyebrow raised.~

Peter Vaughn: No, no, I fell THROUGH a building. That's very different.

Sadie Anderson: Not to me it's not! You could have internal injuries!

Peter Vaughn: Nope. All x-rays were fine. Seriously, Sadie, I've fallen from the top of the entryway through a stack of tables. This fall doesn't even compare. I mean, okay, I wasn't expecting it, so it knocked me a little loopy, but I'm fine now. Trust me.

~Sadie still doesn't look convinced, but Vaughn steps forward, putting a hand on her shoulder. He leans in, giving her a quick kiss on the lips, something that Vaughn never would have done a month ago. He looks deeply into her eyes.~

Peter Vaughn: It was all a fluke. At least I proved that the roof really DID need to be replaced. But I'm okay, and we can get out of here. I've got more important things to worry about, after all.

Sadie Anderson: ... And you're SURE they're okay with releasing you this quickly?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, yeah, they are. Sure, I had to 'convince' them a little, and they wanted me to get a ride, but now that you're here, I'm certain we can walk right out that door.

~Vaughn quickly points towards the door, ready to go. He grabs a bag of his items, holding them in one arm, as he puts the other arm around Sadie, flashing her his biggest fake grin. It doesn't fool her. She knows Peter too well. She knows he's up to something. But she sighs and accepts it, with the two heading out as quickly as possible.~

It's rather amazing how quickly the world can fall out from underneath you.

It's also crazy to think about what causes it to happen.

You know, Jackie, I really do have a history now in SCW in bettering my opponent's careers by defeating them in title defenses. Just look at Miles Kasey, jumping straight up to the Internet Championship after his losses to me. What about Helluva Bottom Carter? After a couple of losses to me earlier this year, Carter ends up putting away Michael Harris for good. Eddie Lyons is putting on career matches, even if he blew it at High Stakes, and even the Troll got a victory after he fell off the Ultimate X. Really, I'm expecting great things from Rodrigo now that I throttled him.

But it's strange, Jacques, that you appear to be the exception to the rule. In fact, you're doing everything completely opposite.

After all, when we had our Champion vs. Champion match, you were on top of the world as the Internet Champ, and you were able to take me down when nobody else could. I mean, major props, I give that all to you, you were the better man that day. No excuses from me, I'll admit when I wasn't at my best. But let's look at what happened after that major victory of yours.

First, you went into Summer XXXtreme XI and lost your precious championship, getting slaughtered by Calvin Harris. It must have burned you to see me retaining over Milo & The Troll when you couldn't get your side handled. But you shook it off. You got yourself into the King for a Day match by beating a helpless goofball. But then you couldn't handle things in the tag, with you & Raven losing to Mercer & Kasey, followed by the actual match at Violent Conduct IX when Mercer again cleaned your clock. No crown for you, Mr. Washington.

Unable to accept your new status as "In The Toilet", you once again sought an easy victory, taking it over... well, our opponent for this one, Bill Barnhart. Poor ol' Bill, always bullied by guys like Jackie. But that didn't change much, did it, Jack? The fans were looking at you differently, seeing that you were on a downward spiral. So you got yourself a match against a Hall of Famer, my buddy Goth... and Goth categorically destroyed you. You couldn't stand that, could you? So you put all your clout into getting yourself into the Heavyweight Title match at High Stakes, even though it sure didn't feel like you deserved it anymore.

And what happened? You lost. Again.

I mean, in all seriousness, Jack, it's really rather sad to see what's happened with you in the past few months since you got your win over me. Is that why you got this shot? Did you say to yourself, "I need to go back where it all started; I need to break the curse"?  That's the only reason I can see for you being in this one. Because if I recall correctly, you were badly trashing the Roulette Title, saying how much more meaningful the Internet strap was... and obviously, holding the Heavyweight Title above that.

It kind of makes it feel like you're bottom-feeding here, desperate to stop your steep descent into wrestling oblivion.

But here's the thing, Jackyl. I won't be throwing you a lifeline. I'm going to be the one stomping you further into the void, continuing your ultimate plunge with a Plunge of my own. We may be 1-1 against each other, but at this point, I don't think it's going to be a tiebreaker so much as a Jackbreaker. I'll be coming at you at full force, with everything on the line for me, with all the pressure fueling me on to rip you in two.

I may be a Savior, but I'm not YOUR savior, Jack. The world's falling out from under you, and I'm not stopping your plummet into oblivion.

I'm encouraging it.

~As Vaughn and Sadie walk out of the hospital doors, Vaughn takes a nice, deep breath, enjoying the crisp air of a November evening. He heads for the parking lot, as Sadie looks nervously behind them. But nobody appears to be in pursuit, so Sadie hurries after him. They get to her car, a brown Ford Focus. Vaughn tries the passenger door handle, but it's still locked.~

Peter Vaughn: C'mon, Sadie, get the doors open. We don't have a lot of time to waste.

~Again Sadie looks back towards the hospital, more concerned now given Vaughn's reaction.~

Sadie Anderson: Are you sure you're supposed to leave? Aren't they always supposed to wheel you out for insurance reasons? Why didn't anyone check us out?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, I took care of all the paperwork... and I didn't need the wheelchair, I'm fine. So let's go ahead and get going, okay?

~She looks doubtful, but since there are no screaming nurses running their way, there doesn't seem to be any choice. Sadie pops the locks, and Vaughn immediately pulls himself inside. Sadie gets in as well, buckling herself in and starting up the engine.~

Sadie Anderson: So you want me to go straight back to the ranch so you can rest?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, I got plenty of rest in that hospital bed waiting for you. As for the ranch, well, can we stop by the work site first? I left Gabriella over there, and I need to pick her up and bring her home.

Sadie Anderson: Wait... you want to drive your truck? In the condition you're in??

~Sadie looks over at Vaughn, alarmed, but he gives her a slightly pleading look, as he talks about his favorite truck in the entire world.~

Peter Vaughn: You know how good Gabriella has treated me, and I've put a lot of effort into making her the greatest truck possible. I would really rather not leave her all night in downtown Dallas. I mean, I might never see her again, and you wouldn't want that to happen, would you?

~Vaughn tries harder to make his eyes like Puss-in-Boots from Shrek. It doesn't really work the way he expects, as Sadie can't help but laugh at him trying way too hard. But she agrees, putting the car into reverse and pulling out.~

Sadie Anderson: Fine. Let's go get the other love of your life.

~With Vaughn nodding enthusiastically, Sadie pulls away, leaving the hospital behind. They drive for a while, making their way through Dallas traffic, as Sadie concentrates on the road. She can't help but notice, though, that Vaughn keeps checking his watch.~

Sadie Anderson: Are you late for a date with someone else, Peter? Or somewhere else pressing you need to be?

Peter Vaughn: Nope, for both questions. I'm just... anxious about how late it's getting. Right now, someone could be stealing Gabriella's hubcaps, and those are custom-made. They took a lot of work, too, so I'd hate to lose them.

Sadie Anderson: *Sigh* Alright, we'll be there soon, and I'm sure your truck...

Peter Vaughn: Gabriella.

Sadie Anderson: ... Gabriella, will be fine.

Peter Vaughn: Thanks, Sadie. I really owe you for this. And I always pay my debts.

~The drive continues, and soon they arrive in the parking lot where Gabriella is waiting. The truck looks to still be in pristine condition, with all of its hubcaps intact. Vaughn looks relieved, getting out and walking over to pat the truck on the side. Sadie waits in her car, ready to leave, but she puts it in park when she sees Vaughn suddenly glare towards the doorway and lower himself down. She turns off the engine, getting out.~

Sadie Anderson: What is it? What's wrong?

Peter Vaughn: There are lights on inside. Nobody should be working this late. And I think... I think I hear someone...

Sadie Anderson: Should we call the police?

~Even as Sadie asks, though, Vaughn shakes his head. He then moves forward, crouched, getting to the doorway. He slams it open and runs inside, and there's instantly the sound of commotion. Sadie, startled at the suddenness of it all, reaches into her car and pulls out her revolver, before running towards the door.~

Sadie Anderson: PETER!!

~All fear cast aside in her concern for her boyfriend, Sadie shoves through the doorway, running into the lobby... before coming to a dead stop, completely shocked. Inside, we can see a bunch of twinkling lights wired up, blinking all across the walls and hanging from the ceiling. In front of us, there is a group of people waiting, including ranch hands from the PMV Ranch, a few relatively well-known wrestlers, and Vaughn's half-brother, Thomas, along with his 'recently found' girlfriend Carrie and their child, William. There is some soft country music playing in the background. Sadie, completely confused, lowers the gun quickly to point towards the floor.~

Sadie Anderson: What... what's going...

~From the side, Peter Vaughn walks up to Sadie, smiling at her. He has removed the bandage from his forehead, leaving it behind him, and showing the unscathed skin underneath. He steps in front of her, taking a bit of a nervous gulp, before slowly... lowering... to one knee. He looks up at her, with a small box in hand.~

Peter Vaughn: Sadie Anderson.... will you marry me?

Life stays interesting only when there's an element of surprise in it.

To me, the biggest surprise was Washey getting a shot at my Roulette Title, after just being in the fight for the Heavyweight Title at the last show. But secondary to that was good ol' Bill Barnhart getting added to the mix. Of course, the surprise factor was for an entirely different reason: I haven't seen Billy as a legitimate title contender for months now.

Maybe once upon a time, the Barn Dog was a threat. I'm still waiting, though, to see the legend behind the man. I haven't seen it yet.

Oh, I know, he keeps getting opportunity after opportunity, and he HAS achieved success with these chances in the past. But lately, all I ever see is Barnhart taking the pin lately. He's fallen at shots at the Roulette Title. He's been unable to make a goal in the Mixed Tag division, despite supposedly having a great bond with his 'partner'. He's even being used as a starting point for returning wrestlers like Goth at Violent Conduct IX and Ben Jordan at High Stakes 13, getting thrown in there to take a beating and make the fans happy to see the returnees.

It's a thankless job, but it's one that somebody's got to do, and I at least can appreciate Barney taking that one on.

Here's the thing, Bill. You and I are starting to know each other pretty well. I defeated you once at Into The Void XII, sending you and Malachi down to become the Roulette Champion. I beat you a second time in July at Climax Control, winning over you when you supposedly had the advantage in a Stretcher match. And now, here we are, facing off for a third time, and honestly? I'm not expecting any change in the dynamic.

Washington may be on a faltering trajectory, but you've been flatlining for months, Bulldog. I seriously don't know what you have that enables you to keep getting title opportunities like this, as the fans just aren't buying you as a serious contender anymore. I still see flashes of greatness every so often, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see you find a way to use the momentum of a loss against me to climb back up to some glory. But I just don't see it happening, boyo.

Washington and I are likely to be knocking the ever-living hell out of each other from the opening bell. But I bet he's going to be just like me, and see you as a distraction only in this one. A distraction I plan to knock unconscious as soon as possible. Hey, maybe we'll get another sledgehammer match, that'll allow me to make it quick. Or maybe it'll be another high-flying match, and you'll be even more out of luck.

Slow and heavy just isn't the way to make a living, my friend.

The only real benefit I have to you being in the match is that it's possible I can show you some Revenged and end this one quickly, before J-Wash has a chance to even get going. And that way, my title reign can reach its foregone conclusion, and you can make your way to the back with one more moment added to my story... as well as the approaching end of your own.

Then again, maybe you'll surprise me... and not bother showing up.

Nah, you'd never do that. You'll be there. And my foot will be in your face as quickly as possible. The only surprise coming your way is when you look up and see that you're about to take the Plunge once again.

~Sadie is staring down at Vaughn, absolutely stunned. Her gun hand starts to shake, due to her shock, so Vaughn reaches up with his free hand and takes the revolver away.~

Peter Vaughn: I don't think we need this...

~The gun is set to the side, before Vaughn turns back, opening up the box in his hand. There is a large ring inside, glimmering in the lights. He looks up at Sadie, who still hasn't said anything.~

Peter Vaughn: Sadie... you've shown me more about life than anyone else has. You've been the person who's been able to reach the REAL me, the one hidden deep inside. I've found myself looking forward more to life than ever before... and I want to continue to spend it with you. So I ask you... once again.... will you marry me?

~The crowd is quiet behind them, already unsure of how this is going considering Sadie came in armed. Sadie looks over at them, then drops her gaze back to Vaughn. Finally, she finds her voice.~

Sadie Anderson: .... Yes. The answer's yes, Peter.

~With a relieved release of air, Vaughn pulls himself back up, embracing Sadie, with the two sharing a long kiss as the audience cheers behind them. The music is turned up, as confetti poppers are fired into the air around them. Vaughn then gets the engagement ring free, putting it on Sadie's trembling finger. The celebration then begins, as everyone rushes in to congratulate them. The camera seems to spin away, showing the passage of time as the party commences.~

~After a few twirls, the camera settles back down, and we find Peter and Sadie sitting to the side, with Sadie bringing herself closer to her new fiancé. She leans into him, but then hesitates, looking at his arm, which still has some bandages on it.~

Sadie Anderson: So... was the entire thing staged? The accident, the hospital, all of it?

Peter Vaughn: Not exactly, no...

~Vaughn reaches over, peeling back one of the bandages, where we can see some cuts and bruises underneath, having been treated at the hospital. Sadie winces at them, even as Vaughn covers them back up.~

Peter Vaughn: The accident on the roof happened pretty much as you were told it did. I didn't expect it to give way underneath me, for sure. Luckily, I grabbed at some of the rebar as I fell, scratching up my arms some, but it slowed me down enough so that when I landed on the top floor, I mostly just took the impact. You know what they say, us wrestlers know how to fall.

~Vaughn chuckles to himself, before becoming serious again. He shakes his head.~

Peter Vaughn: If anything, though... this accident sped up some plans I had in mind. I could have easily been seriously injured. If I dropped at the wrong angle, I might not even be here anymore. And that risk isn't just for stupid accidents like this one. It could happen any night I'm in the ring, or outside of it. Guys like Washington and Barnhart would probably love to be the ones to put me out of the sport, just so they could say it was them. I always seem to be a target nowadays.

~Sadie pats him on the arm, careful to aim away from the bandages. Vaughn reacts, reaching over to take her hand as he stares into her eyes.~

Peter Vaughn: I thought to myself... I can't put off my plans anymore. I can't waste time. So I talked to the workers, called up everyone who was nearby, and got everything hung up. It's amazing how quickly Christmas lights went on sale, isn't it? I figured, might as well make use of the circumstances, right?

Sadie Anderson: I suppose so. Although I'm going to remember this in the future, Peter.

Peter Vaughn: I wouldn't want it any other way.

~Vaughn watches as Sadie stares at the ring on her finger, a family heirloom that Vaughn never thought would be put to use. He doesn't know why he never sold it or threw it away. Maybe that proved it was always meant to be.~

Peter Vaughn: So you know what you're getting into, right? I'm still not the perfect man by any means. I have a long way to go to get anywhere near there.

Sadie Anderson: And I've told you before, I wanted to be there with you as you made your way on that path.

Peter Vaughn: And you'll... you'll be with me? All along the way?

~Vaughn's voice seems a little higher, which catches Sadie's attention. Of course, she knows all about how Vaughn's mother abandoned him when he was still young, deserting him & his father. She grabs hold of his hand tightly.~

Sadie Anderson: All the way... and beyond.

~She leans in, kissing him, as a future wife in love with her future husband would. The two sit there, ignoring the rest of the party as it goes on in the building Vaughn bought, now forever memorialized as the place Vaughn proposed. We slowly fade out.~