Author Topic: Pondering The Future, Considering The Past  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
Pondering The Future, Considering The Past
« on: October 06, 2023, 11:28:52 PM »
~The picture slowly comes up, once again, on an aerial shot of the Garden of Betrayal. Despite the recent droughts in Texas, the garden appears to be doing quite well, thanks to the right plants & trees being chosen. The occasional East Texas downpour helps as well. As the drone shot moves along, covering the large plot of land that Peter Vaughn had converted into his own personal "non-Game of Thrones" tribute, we can see the parking lot coming into view. The cameraman can be seen, if only as a small figure, controlling the drone as it comes closer and closer to him.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey, yo! Camera guy! Over here!

~The drone falters for a second, nearly losing control, before the cameraman manages to readjust it and bring it safely into his arms. He turns it manually, pointing it to the side, where Peter Vaughn can be seen, waving his direction. For some reason, Vaughn isn't in the garden. Instead, he appears to be headed inside the multi-floor building to the west of the garden. The cameraman grumbles for a second, before putting the drone inside his van and shutting it off.~

~A second later for us (but at least a minute or two for him), the cameraman is now moving with his handheld camera, moving towards the large building. He takes note of some of the boards on the windows on the first floor, as well as a large "For Sale" sign attached outside. The cameraman then moves inside, where he finds Vaughn, staring into one of the open rooms nearby. Vaughn looks back at him, smiling.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey, boyo. Good to see you. So what do you think?

~Confused, the camera pans left and right, taking in the building that's definitely seen better days.~

Cameraman: What do I think about what? This abandoned building for sale?

Peter Vaughn: It's not for sale anymore. I just bought it.

~The camera seems to shake for a second, before we're suddenly hurrying towards the door, moving pretty rapidly for a cameraman.~

Peter Vaughn: Hey, hold on! Wait! Slow down!!

~But the cameraman doesn't listen, and we're quickly back outside the building. He then hurries to the side, getting a little more space, as we see Vaughn coming out after him.~

Peter Vaughn: What was all that about??

Cameraman: I'm not letting you drop another building on me, cabrĂ³n. No way. I still have nightmares about the first time!!

~Realization cuts across Vaughn's face. He shakes his head, before stepping forward.~

Peter Vaughn: Oh, I'm sorry, man. I kind of forgot about that...

~Clearly, the cameraman hasn't, as he was there the day Vaughn blew up the warehouse around him, to be replaced by the Garden of Betrayal.~

Peter Vaughn: But no, man, I'm not going to tear this building down. For one thing, that'd put up a lot of debris and mess with the garden, and I wouldn't allow that to happen. No, boyo, this place here? It's going to be my next project. My continued revitalization of this part of Dallas.

Cameraman: So... you're doing something out of the goodness of your heart, then?

Peter Vaughn: Hah. Hah hah. No. Well, if they want to see it that way, sure, but that's not why I'm doing it. You see, the ranching business is coming along well... but real estate is also a great way to go to diversify your investments. Basically, I see this area making me a lot of money in the near future, and I'm going to capitalize on it. Plus, I needed a place to be the inner office connected to the Garden, for those who don't want to meet outdoors, and I think this could be the place.

~Vaughn turns and looks back at the building, seeing it in a way that none of us can... at least, not yet.~

Peter Vaughn: It's going to take some work, but this building? It'll be the centerpiece of Mechanics Plaza.

~The cameraman has no words. Really, neither do we, although part of that is because we're not there to be able to say them. At any rate, Vaughn turns back to the camera after letting out a breath, keeping the smile on his face.~

Peter Vaughn: So let's talk about wrestling, shall we? You might think I've had a bit of a... setback, with my tag-team losing to "So Long" Harris and J2Holder. But the truth is, I don't put any stock in tag-teams at this point. They never seem to work out for me, one way or another. Someday, I'm going to change that, but for right now, I've got other things to take care of... the largest one being the continuation of my Roulette Championship run.

~Vaughn signals to his waist, showing where the title would be... if he had brought it with him. Apparently, it's back at the ranch, probably safely locked away. But Vaughn never forgets the feeling of the belt.~

Peter Vaughn: As of this Climate Control, I'll be at 155 days. That's more than James-Huntington-Hawkes III and Johnny Tsunami, both of whom had 127-day reigns. It'll tie me with the 155-day runs of Equinox and my Savior partner, Goth... which I'll surpass the next day. We're crossing names off the list at a rapid pace now. Still ahead of me? Alex Jones at 168 days. Kristopher Ryans at 169 days. Bill Barnhart at 182 days. And Griffin Hawkins, the current leader, at 190 days.

~Vaughn shows the four fingers to the camera as he counts off each person.~

Peter Vaughn: To surpass Griffin, I need to get to the middle of November with that championship still secured around my waist. A little over a month away. But it's doable, my friend. It's very doable. All I have to do is take down Rodrigo Afonso for a second time at High Stakes 13, and then find out who my final opposition will be. I can't wait, to be honest. But there's no harm in training up, is there?

~With that, Vaughn's smile finally fades, as he thinks about what's to come.~

Peter Vaughn: I can't say I'm a big fan of competing in a non-title match, even though it's clear this McCulligan guy isn't deserving of a shot. But it'll still keep me fresh, just like fighting in a tag-team match with some of the best in Sin City. So I'll wipe out McCulligan, making another statement about everyone who gets in the ring with me. Then I'll take Rodrigo for another ride, walk out of High Stakes with my championship, and get set for the final stretch.

~Vaughn gestures behind him, towards the building that he's apparently just bought. He also gestures over towards the Garden, which is already open and getting a lot of foot traffic in the area.~

Peter Vaughn: You see, I'm building an empire. And it's going to be built on breaking every record in my reach. Count on it, boyo.

~Vaughn nods to the cameraman, before heading back towards the building. He's probably already set to start some demo, which the cameraman has no interest in being part of. He still has some PTSD from the last time, after all. He turns and goes back towards his van, moving a little faster than he really needs to, as we slowly fade out.~

It's really amazing how quickly things can change.

One night, I'm defending my Roulette Championship against some of the best young talent in the business. The next night, I'm facing off against the top names in the company in a tag match, with a chance to make a big impact... a chance that unfortunately got mislaid along the way. But then, it won't be the only opportunity, and it certainly won't be a tag match the next time.

But hey, at least I can take pride in the fact that I was one of the last people to fight Michael Harris competitively before he completely lost his marbles. That's something, anyway.

Of course, you go from facing arguably the best in the business... to facing a curtain jerker. Man, wrestling is weird.

You'd think I'd earned more than this, but then, I suppose we did take a loss, ol' Goth and I. Goth didn't take it too well. I'm just planning on rolling with it, making the best of a bad situation. That means I've got to cut down someone from the bottom of the ladder, so be it. I'll do what needs to be done. I always do.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already starting to look past this newbie and thinking about my next defense against Roddy. I have to remind myself that wrestlers who do that tend to get their asses handed to them... guys like Harris. You have to be coming in with your best, no matter what kind of trash opponent they set out in front of you. It's dangerous to underestimate your opposition, so I'll work my hardest to avoid that... even though it's going to be extremely difficult.

Because everything I've seen regarding this Tyler McCulligan fellow? I honestly don't see much to work with.

~As the screen lightens up again, we hear a very loud noise right near the camera.~

Voice: YEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

~A gate slams open, and a wild animal smashes past us, storming out onto the field of battle. The mighty beast bucks repeatedly, trying to throw the interloper off of its back so that the monster can then trample him. But the man on its back hangs on tightly with one hand, showing perfect expertise as he takes each motion in stride, staying in place as the count continues upwards. When the buzzer sounds, a number of rodeo clowns charge in from opposite sides as distractions, catching the large bull's attention. The man on back immediately hops off, slipping to the side and jogging over to the fence, making it safely over. As he lands and turns towards the camera, we see his handsome looks for the first time... and for all but the most observant, he is a complete unknown. He grins, though, as he steps forward to shake the hands of the two people who came over to watch him: Peter Vaughn and Sadie Anderson.~

Sadie Anderson: That was amazing, Keith!

Keith Cooper: Aw shucks, Miss Sadie, that was nothing. A baby could have ridden that bull.

Peter Vaughn: Really? That's a baby I don't think I'd ever want to face. It'd be like something out of Pet Cemetery or Children of the Corn.

~All three of them laugh, although Vaughn does seem to be picturing a monster baby riding on top of a bucking bull, and it's not a comforting picture in his mind.~

Keith Cooper: But really, Miss Sadie, you should be out there, too. I've seen you ride. I'm sure you could be a major competitor here if you wanted to be.

Sadie Anderson: Well, that's kind of you to say, Keith, but it's not for me.

Keith Cooper: And what about you, Mr. Pete? You'd be a natural out there, and you've trained yourself just perfectly to be able to maintain your balance, I bet!

Peter Vaughn: Maybe so, Keith, but I'm more than happy keeping my energy focused on smashing down the monsters I have to face in the ring. I don't need to add on any more here. Besides, you make it sound like it's all athletic, but I'm sure it takes a ton of training to pull off some of the things we've seen here tonight at the rodeo. I may own a ranch, but I didn't grow up in the life, and I'll never pretend to have the expertise many of you have.

~A loud buzzer is heard, the start of another rider taking his turn. The crowds cheers and gasps make it hard to tell exactly what's happening, but it's definitely dramatic. Keith looks over that direction, dusting himself off.~

Keith Cooper: Well, I need to get back. Another round is going to be coming up soon, and I need to find out what I need to do next.

Peter Vaughn: Keep making the PMV Ranch proud, Keith!

Sadie Anderson: We're behind you and Roger all the way!

~Keith tips his hat at both of them before walking off, trying (and failing) to hide a slight limp. Let's face it, riding a bull can be painful in certain areas. They watch him go, before Sadie turns and grabs hold of Peter's arm.~

Sadie Anderson: That was very smooth, boosting up his confidence while acting like you didn't think you could do what he does.

Peter Vaughn: ... Isn't that what I'm supposed to be saying? To make him feel even more determined to win?

Sadie Anderson: Oh, it was certainly the right sentiment. But how much of what you said do you actually believe? Did you mean the praise you said for Keith? And do you actually think you could ride that bull?

~Vaughn's quiet for a moment, looking out into the area where another cowboy is trying his luck. We see, in slow motion, the cowboy get bucked off before the time was up, taking a painful fall to the side. Thankfully, the others run in and quickly get him out of there before any permanent damage is done. Vaughn seems to still be thinking it over, though.~

Peter Vaughn: You want to hear the truth?

Sadie Anderson: That's always what I want to hear, Peter.

Peter Vaughn: The truth is... part of me does think I could do that. I'm trained to hang onto a top rope for dear life in battle royals. I'm practiced at getting thrown and coming back from it. So yeah, I think I could do it, but I have no interest in trying it. As for the other part... I don't really know how I feel, Sadie. I say the things I feel like I should... but a lot of time, the connection's not there. It's hard to explain...

Sadie Anderson: Try me.

~The two move off to the side, out of the line of traffic. The rodeo continues all around them, but the two are now separate from all that, as Vaughn tries to put into words the impossible: his broken emotions.~

Peter Vaughn: You know a lot of it, Sadie. How I was tortured and brainwashed in order to make me a better wrestler. How I lost my mind for a while, threatened families, and fought my way back to sanity. But in coming back from that, I've never been... normal. I just don't have the connections to my emotions like I once did. They fade in and out, usually out of reach. I can show Keith support and act like I'm proud of him, but do I feel that way? Or is it all an act? I can be here with you, at the rodeo, and I'm happy... but do I feel happy? Do I feel joy? I know it sounds like an easy question to answer, but... it's not. It never is.

~Vaughn sighs, leaning up against the wall of the stadium where the rodeo is taking place. Sadie stays quiet, knowing that she's wanted him to talk about this for a while now.~

Peter Vaughn: Do you know what it's like, to not be able to trust your own emotions? That's how it is to me. Sometimes I really wonder if I'm just a full-time actor, living my life according to however it's supposed to go, playing a part that I'm not sure belongs to me. Am I happy with it? With all of my wrestling success? With the ranch? With you? I want to say that I am. But I have to say, truthfully, that I'm not sure. I'm never sure.

~Vaughn turns to his side, looking away, and you'd think his rush of speech might lead to something showing on his face. Tears, perhaps, or at least signs of stress. But it's extremely hard to tell, as always, what's really running through Vaughn's mind. But it's easy to know about Sadie, as she pulls him back to face her... and steps into him, giving him a kiss. It's the first one the two have shared, the first true 'connection' between them. As Sadie steps back, Vaughn looks at her questioningly, having not expected that at all.~

Sadie Anderson: Then let me be sure for you, okay?

~All a stunned Vaughn can manage is a nod, as Sadie leans into him, giving him a strong hug that he returns. The two then separate, with Sadie reaching down to grab his hand.~

Sadie Anderson: Now, I believe we were on a date, although I still say taking a rancher to a rodeo for a date is like taking a dress designer to a fashion show. Still, we don't want to miss out on the roping competition, do we?

~Sadie and Vaughn walk off, arm in arm, as Vaughn puts a smile on his face for her. There are still questions behind his eyes, though, questions that even Sadie can't answer. As they depart, a man can be seen in the shadows, watching them. He takes a picture from his phone, then walks off, disappearing into the darkness.~

Sometimes it's the unknown that can trouble you the most, if you're not prepared.

Take the man known as Tyler McCulligan, a virtual unknown competitor in Sin City. We know he's part of a tag-team with Jane McCulligan, and their coach is a man named Charlie McCulligan. So I'm assuming it's a family business. You're the brother to Jane, the son to Charlie? Makes sense to me. So you guys think you can make the McCulligan name mean something. You probably think it already does, since it's at least a second-generation kind of thing, right?

Well, it doesn't, because I've never heard of you. Sorry, but that's just the honest truth from me.

I went to do some research on you, Tyler, to see what kind of a wrestler you were. All I've found so far is that you're a young kid with dreams of glory with nothing to back them up with. I remember seeing Jane's debut... and her getting the tar beaten out of her. That certainly wasn't pleasant. Then you had your own debut, Tyler, against a man I've defeated: Eddie Lyons. I will say, his Lyons Roar DDT looks pretty painful. I've never felt it myself... but you certainly have first-hand knowledge of it, don't you?

Then again, after an impact like that, you might not remember the match at all.

Then you guys went back to the drawing board, right? You said "We came into this as a tag-team, we ought to show what we're capable of together". So you got your little Rattie Pack a match against Finn Whelan and Kayla Richards, where you'd surely bring your best to the table. Except for the fact that they proved to be the very much superior mixed tag-team, wiping the floor with you better than I could with a mop.

And believe you me, I have a lot of experience with a mop.

So now, Tyler, it feels like your dreams are on a precipice, ready to fall into the depths of despair with very little effort on my part. It must suck, thinking that you might only have one more chance to impress the owners of Sin City, and they put you against me: The Mechanic. The reigning, defending Roulette Champion. A dominating singles force who has only lost one time on my own, taking down each and every person that's been thrown against me.

I have to say, boyo, the odds are not looking good for your little family's career run here. It might be time to pull up stakes and find another place to hone your craft, because I'm just not seeing it here in my place. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll find the motivation to actually compete in this one, bringing your A game and giving me a good cruiserweight battle. Hey, I'm always motivated to have one of those when I can. I'm definitely looking for a nice tune-up contest before I take on ol' Afonso again.

But I feel like you're going to disappoint me, Ty, and that's truly a bummer... because that just gives me the incentive to teach you a lesson in there. Maybe it'll be a dislocated finger or two. Maybe it could be a serious concussion that plagues you the rest of your life. Anything's possible, really, in this business.

You see, if you come into my ring, I expect you to show me you deserve to be there. Many have here in Sin City, and I've sung their praises afterwards. But there have been those that have failed to impress in any way, shape, or form, and they've ended up on the trash pile out back.

Are you going to end up there, Ty? And are you going to take your sister and dad with you? Family sticks together, after all, am I right? Or will your dad quickly wash his hands of you and walk away once you've proven to be a failure? Maybe your sister can get a better partner, someone worthy of her.

I'm sure there are other trainees out there.

But it's all an unknown, isn't it, Ty? Until you step between the ropes. Then you're going to know far more than you ever wanted to know.

I guarantee it.

~With the rodeo complete, Peter and Sadie are seen leaving through the exit, heading out to the parking lot. They head over to where Vaughn's pride and joy, Gabriella, is parked. He presses a button, automatically opening the passenger side for Sadie, who smiles.~

Sadie Anderson: Opening the door for someone is supposed to be a sign of a true gentleman, although you're actually supposed to do it yourself, not rig up your truck to do it for you.

Peter Vaughn: You know me and gadgets. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Sadie Anderson: So I hear. How are you feeling after our... talk?

Peter Vaughn: It felt... better to get it out there. I know you knew a lot of it, but some parts of it just... needed to be said. As for the kiss....

Sadie Anderson: You'd better not say you had a problem with th...

~Vaughn leans in, giving Sadie a soft kiss back. Sadie, grinning, looks up at him with sparkles in her eyes.~

Sadie Anderson: I really do like you, Peter Vaughn.

Peter Vaughn: I like you, too, Sadie Anderson. There's never been anyone like you in my life.

Sadie Anderson: Even from... before?

~Vaughn laughs, even as he remembers those days.~

Peter Vaughn: Before... I was a geeky janitor who was forced into wrestling matches against my will. I've never been what anyone would call "a catch".

Sadie Anderson: Well, you've caught me, Peter. Now it's up to you to keep reeling me in.

~The two smile at each other, with Sade getting into the truck. Peter steps around it, patting Gabriella on the top as if to remind the truck not to get jealous before getting in. They drive away, as that mysterious individual from earlier steps out again, watching them. He gets out his phone, making a call.~

Man: It's me. You get the pictures? Is it him?

~The picture shifts, showing a woman sitting in a large chair, rocking back and forth as she looks at the phone in front of her. It has a picture of Vaughn and Sadie on it, although it was taken in haste without a flash, so it's not exactly a professional shot.~

Woman: It could definitely be him. Thank you for tracking him down. I'll handle it from here.

~The woman hangs up the phone and gets up, stretching for a moment before walking over to a crib. She reaches inside, pulling out a young child and holding him in her arms.~

Woman: Great news, William. I think we finally tracked down your father.

~The woman continues to rock the child as the picture slowly fades out.~