Author Topic: The fire still burns  (Read 329 times)

Offline Tom Dudely

• View Profile
    • Wyatt Peterson
The fire still burns
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
 The scene opens inside of a radio studio. Three computers sit upon a large desk that surrounds a black rolling chair in a “U” shape. A microphone hangs down from a boom, coming to rest between the chair and the computers. The chair is occupied by a familiar face. It’s a face that we haven’t seen in a long, long time.

Tom Dudely: Welcome back to The Fantasy Funcast here on KHTK Sports 1140. It’s time for a little segment I like to call “Stream him or ream him”. You can call me up right now with your waiver wire questions as we go into Week 12 of the fantasy football season. You give me a player you’re considering picking up and I will tell you if he’s worth streaming this week or if you would regret it and want to ream him after he disappoints you. Let’s go to Big Al on Sports 1140.

Tom pushes a button on the computer.

Tom: Big Al, what have you got for me?

Big Al: Tom, thanks for taking my call. I really need a win this week and I’m not confident in starting Joe Mixon at the flex this week against Cleveland. I’m considering picking up Corey Coleman and starting him instead. I’d love to hear your thought.

Tom leans back in his chair and rubs his chin as he prepares to answer.

Tom: I can understand what you mean about being nervous about Mixon. Cleveland has been really good against the run and Mixon has been less than stellar this season. As far as Coleman though, I’m not high on any Browns receiver as long as Kizer is the quarterback. If you can get someone like Robby Anderson against Carolina, who has been mediocre against opposing wide receivers, I’d go that route. Otherwise, stick with Mixon. He’s got a ton of talent and is due for a big game.

Tom pushes another button on the computer.

Tom: Christian, you’re next. Thanks for calling the Fantasy Funcast.

Christian: Oh! I didn’t realize they were putting me on the air. Umm…

Tom looks taken aback.

Tom: This isn’t THE Christian, is it?

Christian: If by THE Christian you’re talking about Christian Underwood, then yes.

Tom: Ho-ly crap! Not that he needs an introduction, but ladies and gentlemen we have a wrestling legend on the line right now. Some of you may remember him as The Pink Flamingo. Others know him as one of the owners of the hottest indy promotion in the world, Sin City Wrestling. Christian, what brings you to call the show? Do you have a fantasy football question?

Christian chuckles.

Christian: No. I don’t give a single care about fantasy football. I was actually trying to reach you off the air, but maybe it’s better to do this on the air.

Tom: Oh?

Christian: As you may have heard, Sin City Wrestling is coming upon their two hundredth Climax Control.

Tom lets out an astonished whistle.

Tom: Wow! Two hundred!

Christian: Yeah, time has definitely flown. I was calling to see if you’d be interested in lacing up your boots one last time for a legend’s Survivor Series match.

Tom looks stunned. Silence fills the studio for a few seconds until Christian breaks it.

Christian: Hello?

Tom: Sorry, that just took me completely by surprise. You want me to get back into the ring after over three years of retirement? That’s quite a bomb to drop on me while I’m live on the air. I’ll tell you what. I’ll come out of retirement, for one final match, on one condition.

Christian: Name it.

Tom: I want you to get Nick Jones on the other side of the match. He talked a lot of crap about me when we were in SCW, both when we were opponents and when we were on the same side, and I never got a win over him. I’d love to be able to go up against him one last time to try to get the last laugh.

Christian: Nick Jones? You want us to get one of the greatest SCW champions to come back for Climax Control 200?

Tom: Umm… yeah. That’s the one I meant.

Christian: Ok. You’ve got it.

Tom: Then I’m in. I’ll see you in Vegas in a few weeks.

Christian: I’ll see you then.

Tom pushes a button on the computer to disconnect the call and leans back in his chair.

Tom: Well, we went a bit off subject there, folks, but you were just privy to some huge breaking news. Tom Dudely will be returning to the squared circle at Climax Control 200 in Las Vegas later this month. We’re going to take a break so I can process all of this. When we come back we’re going to jump right into the Fantasy Forecast. Stay tuned.

Tom pushes a button on the computer and takes off his headphones. He stares off into the distance in disbelief. After a few moments, he gets to his feet and walks out of the studio as the scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

We resume following Tom Dudely backstage before Climax Control 200. He’s wearing the familiar combo of cutoff jean shorts and a green vest. A pair of round sunglasses rest upon his nose, hiding his eyes from view. He’s joined backstage by Sin City’s resident pothead, “Stoner” Scott Oliver.

Stoner: Dude! It’s been ages since I’ve seen you. How have you been, man?

Tom tugs uncomfortably at the waistband of his shorts.

Tom: Have you ever heard of the freshman fifteen? I’m suffering from the senior seventeen. These pants definitely don’t fit like they used to.

Stoner: Bummer! Are you ready to do this interview thing?

Tom’s head whips around to look directly at the Stoner. He looks at him with all the seriousness in the world.

Tom: Ready? I was born ready.

Stoner (chuckling): Alright.

[/i]The Stoner looks into the camera. [/i]

Stoner: Dudes and dudettes, I’m joined now by one of my closest buddies. He’s a multi-time champion and wrestling legend. I give you, Tom Dudely.

The camera pans out to put Tom Dudely into the shot. Tom gives a little half wave.

Tom: Hi ya!

Stoner: Tom, when you retired over four years ago, I remember you saying that you were done forever. What made you come back for this match tonight?

Tom: Well, when I said that I was done, I meant it. I hung up my boots and started a fantasy football podcast that exploded and became a regular show on a radio station in Northern California. I never even considered getting back in the ring. Then, a few weeks ago, none other than Christian Underwood called into my show and invited me back for this show and I felt something inside of me. I felt a twinge on the inside that I hadn’t felt in a long, long time. I felt a flicker of warmth. It was at the moment that I realized that the fire still burned inside of me. The fire to get back in front of a crowd and put on a great performance. The fire to… win. And… well…. Here I am.

Stoner: That’s so awesome dude. Now, you get to compete tonight in a Survivor Series style match where you’ll team up with Despayre, Bo Dreamwolf, Jordan “PS” Williams, and Spike Staggs against the team of Gene Banton Junior, J2H, Kain, Goth, and Nick Jones. What are your thoughts on this match?

Tom: Well, first of all, they had better have the hot tub ready for us afterwards because there are a lot of elder statesmen in this match. Second, I’ve got history with most of the men in this match. I won the very first title of my career from Spike Staggs way back in Global Championship Wrestling. I’ve competed with Bo Dreamwolf and Despayre on several occations. Goth and I feuded for a while here in SCW. And who can forget the group of Supremacy with me, Jordan Williams, Nick Jones, and the boss man himself, Mark Ward? I never really crossed paths with Kain, and J2H and Gene Banton Junior were after my time, but I’ve seen them compete and they’re no joke. I’m honestly just feeling nostalgic being back here and seeing all of the familiar faces. I can’t wait to get out there in front of the crowd. I’m just afraid that I’ll start tearing up when my music hits.

Stoner: Dude, if you cry I’m never letting you live it down.

Tom shoves the Stoner playfully.

Tom: Eff off!

Both men laugh.

Stoner: Great to see you, bud. Good luck out there. Don’t break a hip.

Tom: Thanks, man.

Tom slaps the Stoner on the shoulder and walks off as the scene fades.

user posted image