Author Topic: J2H v KRIS RYANS - BATTLE OF THE GREATS  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Christian Underwood

• TAFKATPF aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Pink Flamingo
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Christian Underwood
J2H v KRIS RYANS - BATTLE OF THE GREATS
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:23:22 AM »
Post all roleplays for this match here.
Limits: 1 roleplay per week, per character, 7k limit.

Good luck!

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
? Mae West

Offline J2H

• View Profile
    • J2H
Re: J2H v KRIS RYANS - BATTLE OF THE GREATS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
Why am I even doing this?

It was a constant thought that ran through the mind of J2H as he sat watching Melody and James Jr decorate the house for Halloween. Plastic skeletons and pumpkins aplenty filled the living room as J2H sat and observed from the sofa, looking at the joy on his family's face. It brought the question to his mind once more.

He was thinking about wrestling, his future, his life. His eyes were firmly planted on the two things in the world that mattered most to him. He knew he didn't need to put himself at anymore risk. He knew he didn't need to earn more money. At the ripe old age of twenty seven, he knew he could have gave up the rat race years ago, well, he knew he never had to put on those running shoes and join the race in the first place, but things are different now, a wife, a son, why was he putting himself at risk anymore when he had nothing left to prove in wrestling?

His eyes darted towards the smile on his sons face as Melody held more Halloween decorations before him to place.

He knew why Melody was stepping back in the ring, although he hated it being against a nobody like Kate Steele. Melody's return should have been as grand as his own, someone worth it, someone much more worthy than a bi polar lunatic like Kate Steele, but he got why Melody was coming back.

James Jr.

He was the biggest wrestling fan most had ever met, even at a young age. He knew the difference between moves, he knew the mental side, he knew the physical side, I guess it comes with the territory when your parents are both wrestlers, but he's never seen his mother wrestle. The look on his face said it all when Melody made an appearance in the ring was priceless than only he and his father got to share as they watched the screens backstage. Melody was doing it for the little light of her life, she was returning to the ring for the little man himself. He wanted to see mommy wrestle and this was too good for her to refuse. The glitz and glamour of High Stakes is unrivalled by any wrestling show in any company, this was the biggest night of SCW's year, the start of the next year, the big cycle. But it still begged the question....

What was J2H's motivation? He's publicly stated it's about making a ton of money, Kris Ryans has stated the same, the two have played it off like it's simply financial and to give the fans one hell of a match, and to some level, that might be true, the money on the table was likely to be far more than what Amber Ryan, Roxi Johnson and Chr... Whatever name she's going by at the moment, would be earning for their main event. The match itself was a dream match of fans all over the world. But did he really care about the money? No. Did he really care about the prestige? Not really. Did he care about the fans? Not all of them, but one of them, one of them right in front of his face - his son.

J2H had the easy life growing up, never had to work if he didn't want to, spent his teenage years in a pissing contest with other boys born with platinum spoons in their mouths. His father was rarely around, leaving his upbringing mostly to Simpson, but not even a man with a kind heart such as Simpson could draw the natural born arrogance out of James Huntington-Hawkes III. He could only guide him and make sure that he kept within certain boundaries. James hated his father for not being there for him growing up, he hated that every problem was solved by throwing money at it. He was resentful because of that fact. He was resentful because he did the same thing to get involved in the wrestling business, throwing money at an auction to become a wrestler, having people protect him in the ring, while talking to the bosses behind his back, telling them how poor he was and their auction experiment had failed. Joke is on them now, but he didn't know what hard work was until Austin Parker drilled it through his head. Austin was more of a father figure than his own father, ever was. He refused to be like his own father, and swore if he had kids, he will teach them the value of hard work, and the only way he knew how was to lead by example.

That's why I'm doing this.

That thought ran through his head as he watched Melody pick James Jr up in her arms and spin him around, listening to his laugh fill the room.

That was his motivation, to lead by example, to show his son that hard work pays off, to be the man that Austin Parker taught him to be, to install the good side that Simpson showed him. Being a father himself had changed him, he'd had his tough times growing up that could have been avoided if he actually put in the effort to be the best he could. That is what he wanted to show his son. How better to do it then the one thing he loves besides his parents? Wrestling. Show him that you're making the effort, lead by example and work hard.

Still, there was a lot of time between then and stepping in the ring to show his son worth ethic. It was time to switch off from the wrestling world for a little while....

We're all defined by what we do in life, so are remembered as heroes, some as villains. We're all defined by what we do, irregardless of if we want to be remembered that way. J2H had all his achievements and awards in front of him, a room dedicated to his and Melody's wrestling careers from the beginning to present. Photos hung on the wall of their first matches, replica championship belts sat in cases, awards adorned shelves. J2H's whole career was in front of his eyes as he looked around the room.

This wasn't an uncommon thing for him to do. Before every match, leading up to it he would spend at least an hour a day in this room, looking at who he was, looking at who is, looking at the legacy he was leaving behind. It wasn't an ego trip for him, it was empowerment, remember the hard work and sacrifice that came in to his career just to have a room filled with these objects. It reminded him how hard he would have to work to stay on top, at least for another match. He knew deep down this match at High Stakes could be his very last, but he would never use the word retirement. He hated these long drawn out retirement speeches, only for them to return a little later when the wrestling bug attacked them, or they ran out of money. He knew neither would bother him when he hung up the boots for good, but seeing so many retire and return put him off ever using the word. Also, he knew that Christian and Mark had deep pockets and could sell ice to an Eskimo. They could always get back the people they wanted.

This in front of him though, was his legacy. He knew there was not a lot more he could do to extend it, win Blast From The Past? Nah, he'll end up with Jessie Salco as a partner and have to carry her. Win the Mixed Tag Team titles with Melody? Sure, that'll be cool but there's no competition there. Come back and win that world title and break his own record? Sounds like too much time away from the family. All he could do is beat Kris Ryans to add some extra shine to his legacy.

As he looked over the multi championship belts, a tug on his pants and a little voice interrupted his train of thought. Looking down, he saw his son by his side. His son loved wrestling, I guess it's a side effect of growing up with two parents as wrestlers, and although J2H himself didn't want to watch too much of it, Sunday nights had become a family thing thanks to JJ - as long as he could keep himself awake for the SCW show. He knew all the wrestlers by name, he knew their finishing moves, he was an avid SCW fan. His eyes grew like saucers whenever he got to be backstage.

JJ: What are you doing Daddy?

J2H looked down at his son and smiled.

J2H: I'm just looking at all the things Daddy worked hard for. All these things in this room, Mommy and Daddy worked their butts off for.

J2H swooped down to pick his son off the floor. He knew this was a teachable moment with his young son. The reason he's wrestling is to show James Jr what working hard can reward you with. 

J2H: See, all these belts, I had to scrap for and I didn't do it right away. I was lazy when I was a teenager, I thought the world was gonna come to me, but the world didn't. I had to go and work and I never got to do that, or see I needed to do that till I met Austin.

JJ: Uncle Austin?

He walked his son over to a picture on the wall of J2H and Austin Parker, on the ranch where J2H trained, grew as not only a wrestler but as a man.

J2H: Austin taught me how to step up to everything, meet it head on, show me how to do things as an adult. I hid behind money, and became a joke to everyone, I became someone everyone laughed at. No one took me seriously, everyone thought I was a joke and then Uncle Austin showed me that hard work can get you all of this. Hard work can stop people laughing at you behind your back. Hard work means you can be a world champion. I was at my lowest point ever and I had to rebuild, and it was hard work, but I did it and now everyone looks up to me. All cause I worked hard.

JJ: I'm gonna work hard and be a wrestler like Mommy and Daddy.

A frown crossed J2H's face. He wasn't sure how he felt about his son or any future children stepping in to the ring. He knew that his son was a huge fan, and this might be a pipe dream. Most children get them.

J2H: You have to work very hard little man, like very hard. When I went to Uncle Austin, he had me doing crazy things before he would even let me wrestle.

JJ: Like what?

A curious look crossed James Jr's face as he looked his father in the eye.

J2H: He made me carry these heavy bales of hay around a barn. He made me clear out the horses, he made me get up before the sun came out, but it helped me, it helped me be the man I became, and you can do the same if you work really hard to get what you want.

JJ: I can be a champion?

J2H: You could be, you could be anything you want to be as long as you're willing to work for it. As long as you're willing to give it your all to be the best you can be. That's what I did and I became the best I could be. When I wrestle again, I'm gonna be the hardest working wrestler in the building. I'm gonna remind everyone why hard work beats pretty much everything kiddo.

J2H couldn't see her, but Melody had silently moved in to the room, watching her husband and son talk with a proud smile on her face. She'd known her husband before the transformation from laughing stock to the world's best wrestler and she was proud he wouldn't let his son live the slow start to life that he did. She watched as he imparted more wisdom on her son, before the cameras faded in to the next scene.

The Huntington-Hawkes home
Sunday 31st October.

Time jump in to the future. Does that date seem familiar? It should do, because it's Halloween, a time where children and adults alike dress up as characters to guilt people in to giving them candy. Long gone are the days of horror characters, now every Sally and John were Harry Potter or Harley Quinn. It was the first year James Jr had been more than involved in this tradition, the first year he will most likely remember and the excitement was on his face as he held his Buzz Lightyear helmet under his arm, his costume matching the famous Toy Story character.

JJ: Where's Daddy?

Melody leaned down towards her son, her Little Bo Peep costume coming in to view for the first time, her golden hair tied up.

Melody: He'll be out in a minute.

From not too far away, but clearly behind a door, J2H's voice could be heard.

J2H: No he won't!

Melody smiles at JJ and rustles his blonde hair.

Melody: You go and find your pumpkin and I'll go get daddy and we can go.

A smile beamed bright on his face as he took off in search of the plastic thing that would hopefully house all the delights from the night, and give him one hell of a sugar rush in the morning. Melody stood up straight, stretching her long legs before turning around and walking towards a nearby door. Her hand reached down for the handle and she pulled it down, pressing her weight forward to open it, but the door remained firm. A frown adorned her face as she knocked her bare knuckles against the wooden door.

Melody: Babe?

J2H's voice could only be heard behind the solid wood.

J2H: No one's in, try again later.

She couldn't help but smile as she knocked her knuckles on the door once more.

Melody: You have to come out sooner or later.

J2H: No I don't. At least not dressed like this.

Melody: I'm sure you look great and JJ is almost ready to go. You know he'll be so disappointed if you don't come with us.

A sigh could be heard behind the door as the lock turned and the door opened slowly. The camera moved to the floor, showing brown cowboy boots and spurs, before moving up to show blue jeans, held up by a brown belt, with a gun holster. The camera moved further up to show a yellow checked shirt, underneath a cow skin patterned waist coat. The camera moved to the unimpressed face of J2H looking at Melody. Melody covered her mouth, trying not to laugh as she looked at her husband.

Melody: You're missing your cowboy hat there Woody.

Melody turned around, covering her stifled laugh as J2H reaches behind him and picks up a brown cowboy hat, slowly placing it on his head, his face still not impressed. Melody glanced over her shoulder at her husband but quickly turned her head away, struggling to keep the laughter within.

J2H: Go on, let it out.

Melody couldn't contain herself any longer as she burst out laughing, causing her husband to roll his eyes behind her back.

He knew what he looked like and a million thoughts ran through his head. This wasn't his idea, he never went trick or treating as a kid, it was all beneath him but this wasn't about him at all, this was his son. In his head, he repeated three simple words... Lead by example. He would have dressed up like this for the sake of it in the comfort of his own home, with his wife as Bo Peep, and his son as Buzz Lightyear to have a marathon watch of the Toy Story films, but to go out in public like this shook him to his core.

He watched Melody turn around, trying to keep the straightest face she has ever tried to keep in her life, and failing.

Melody: I think you make a great Woody.

He scoffed as he looked at his wife.

J2H: I look like a dick. I coulda gone as a cowboy, with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood vibes, hell, I coulda gone as Arthur Morgan or John Marsden from The Red Dead Redemption game, but no, I'm a toy.

Again, Melody tried to hide her bright smile as she turned to link her arms with J2H and lead him away from the door he was hiding behind and towards the living room area.

J2H: Do I really have to go out in public, dressed like this? I look stupid.

And he felt it too, but deep down he knew what had to happen, deep down he knew his son would be disappointed with him if he didn't.

Melody: You look just fine, you'll be the cutest cowboy there has ever been.

He knew Melody was messing with him, he wasn't mad at her, the thoughts of dread at being out there in public dressed like Woody from Toy Story took over any other emotion that he could possibly feel.

J2H: Why couldn't I wear a mask or something? Hide who I am, hell, a Woody mask so no one could see it was me.

Melody: Because people will still know. Besides, you're over thinking it Jam, kids will be too busy going after candy, not looking at you. This is JJ's first one that he's known what's going on and understands it.

Melody poked out her lower lip in a pout, not a real pout but enough to make J2H breathe deeply and shake his head.

J2H: I'm gonna regret this big time. Watch, we'll step outside there, they'll be news vans, camera from SCW, hell, knowing my luck, Kris Ryans. There will be camera flashes, and autograph hunters and I'm dressed like Sheriff fucking Woody.

A slight smile crossed Melody's lips as she looked at her husband. She knew this made him uncomfortable but she would do anything to make her son happy, even if it meant putting up with a grouchy J2H for a few hours. She knew when they were back home and James Jr was sound asleep, he would go back to a less grouchier version of himself and if he didn't, well, that's what good wine was invented for.

Melody: There won't be, there will be children happy, smiling, laughing, filling buckets with candy, having fun.

There was only one child in the world J2H liked and that was his own flesh and blood. He wasn't a fan of little humans, but to be fair, he wasn't a fan of many bigger humans either.

J2H: I don't like kids.

Melody: Well focus on your own one, I like to think you like him.

J2H: I did until today.

Melody knew he was joking and playfully hit him on the arm as he smiled as his wife. His son was the only child he did care for, the rest, he couldn't give a shit for. 

He breathed deeply as he heard little footsteps pressing down under the wooden floor of the living room, getting louder and louder as they approached. It didn't take long before James Jr was diving at his parents legs, his arms wrapped around one of Melody's and one of J2H's.

Melody: There's my little Buzz Lightyear!

Melody reached down and picked James Jr up, cradling him in her arms.

Melody: Ready to go?

An enthusiastic nod returned to Melody as she placed her son back to the ground and looked at J2H watching the two together. He knew the question stood for him too as he let out a sigh.

J2H: As ready as I'll ever be.

He was resigned to this night, and hoped that it would pass quickly, but he knew it wasn't about him. He knew that he had to lead by example though, for the sake of his son growing up to be the best man he could be, and this was a way to show him not to take life too seriously, even if J2H was guilty of that about twenty three hours a day. 

Melody: Ok, put your helmet on JJ and we'll go.

As instructed, JJ listened to his mother and she quickly looked at J2H standing next to her frowning.

J2H: I wish I had a helmet.

Melody smiled as the trio moved away. I know you're probably curious on what happened next and how uncomfortable J2H was during this whole experience.... Well, I suggest you go and watch Melody's promo.

The Huntington-Hawkes home.
Monday 1st November

It was a chilly time just after midnight, the trick or treating went as well as it could in J2H's mind and he was out of the Sheriff Woody costume and sitting in the vast backyard of his home. Melody had put James Jr to bed and the little man slept contently, thinking about the huge amounts of candy collected hours earlier. Melody opted for a long soak in the tub, but wrestling was on J2H's mind. Thinking about the upcoming match weighed on him a little. His last match was a loss, albeit by his own design and although it was always in his mind to make Crystal Hilton, Zdunich, whogivesafuck-ich look stupid, he knew in his heart that he couldn't go out like that. The thoughts of Kris Ryans as his last match had crept in to his mind lately, although he knew there was a chance at High Stakes XI, someone else was gonna leap out of the shadows and make a challenge for the next High Stakes. The truth is though, who do you face after you face Kris Ryans? Last year it was Mr. Piss Ya Pants. This year, it's not. This year is a chance to go out on top and although he knew he didn't need to sell this match for anyone, no one did, he had set a camera up in front of himself as he sat out on the deck to record something, to get it sent in to the production team at SCW before heading to New York. 

J2H: The stage had been set for a long time, a whole year it had been there, a whole year since I smashed Teddy Warren around and took his little title belt and gave it away like the trash that once held it. One whole year, a much, much better match has been teased, touted and left people wondering if it was actually gonna happen. People were excited at the thought back then, but now, I know people are sitting there about to pull a Teddy Warren and piss their pants. As soon as it got made official, regardless if you already knew it was gonna happen, excitement filled the world, I sure as shit felt it, I know Kris Ryans sure as shit felt it. I know everyone in the SCW locker room felt it, and not just because their pay is about to go up from the extra sales for this supercard. They felt it because without even thinking too much in to it, they know what they're about to see is not just a lesson, not just a master class, but pure, unadulterated genius. They know that what they're about to see is one for the ages, the most talked about match in SCW history, fuck, the most talked about match in wrestling history. Before a punch is even thrown, they know the greatness that they are about to witness. Battle of the Great Ones? Nah, War of the Gods.

The confidence flowed through J2H like a roaring river hitting every rock on the way through.

J2H: Gods? Gods you say? Yeah, Gods I said, but as always, there can only be one and holy wars have been fought over who the greater God is. Even in the same religion, religious wars have been fought if you're in to that kinda shit, but this to me is what it feels like. It feels like the two almighty beings on earth are meeting for a show down, a shoot out, a last man standing to claim the throne. It feels like a big fight and you know why? Cause it fucking is! Everyone has been crying out to see this match, the sale rate went through the roof when it was made official because it is that clash of the titans, it is that match everyone is tuning in to see. No one gives a fuck about half this card, no one gives a fuck about Alex Jones and Jack Washington, Amber Ryan, Roxi Johnson or whatever her name is. No one gives a fuck about Fenris or Marcus Cage, no one gives a fuck about the new preacher man's debut, they give a fuck about J2H Vs Kris Ryans.

Deep in his heart, he actually believed this, he believed that this match was the best match on the card, that it was likely to steal the show. He believed in himself and through all the problems Kris Ryans had through the years, he knew that he could put on an amazing match with a broom if he had to.

J2H: I wasn't gonna bother wrestling on High Stakes this year, what was the point? I mean last year was a let down. To hear all year that someone wanted to face me, only to fade away when it really mattered, left a bitter taste in my mouth, it made me think fuck this, if you can't trust someone to actually do their job, do what they're paid to do, while they're living under the illusion that they're actually something special, someone worthy enough to get in the ring with me, then what's the fucking point? I was set to walk in to Christian's office and say I'll give the belt to that soap dodging hippie look alike Storms and I am done, and then like a flash out of the blue, a few tweets back and forth put me on the path to Kris Ryans. You know I couldn't help but smile right away, couldn't help but think fucking yes! This is a match that needed no selling, this is a match that both of us could put our feet up and watch the world burn in anticipation, this was a match that sold a million buys based on one tweet to light the fuse, but there was that little flicker of doubt in my mind, the part that asked me why I should go for it.

His head turns away from the camera slightly as he thought back to that moment of doubt, to the split second he wondered if he should do it. He knew that Christian Underwood and Mark Ward would be all over it if he did even drop the slightest of hints he was interested.

J2H: Because it could be my way to go out on top Kris. That's why I took it. I wanted to show my son that when you work hard, you can leave something behind on top with no regrets. The thoughts are in my mind that this could very much be my last hurrah, that this could be my swan song, my end to something that the whole world could see has been remarkable. So this may very well be the last time I put on those boots and get in the ring, this might be it and well, better going out beating Kris Ryans than Teddy Warren, right?

He laughed slightly as he knew that was the truth. Teddy Warren was a let down in J2H's eyes, a year ago, there was potential there to build Teddy Warren in to something special, he had grabbed headlines with eccentric tendencies, but when push came to shove, he had fallen very short, but Kris Ryans was a whole different species. 

J2H: I will beat Kris Ryans, I have no doubt about it, but it's all about what is gonna happen in that ring. My legend is set in stone, everyone who thinks of SCW thinks of J2H, it's that fucking simple, it's not bragging, it's the cold, hard truth. I am the greatest that's ever stepped in that ring, the best you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing, but Kris Ryans is way up there, he's way up the top, not sitting next to me but not far behind either, this is why I see it the way I do. If this is my last match in SCW, if this is the last time I step foot in that ring, ready to kick the shit out of someone, then who better to do it against, than Kris Ryans?

He was actually being serious. He'd never officially retired but he's seen many come and go, retire and trying to come back for one last match to taste the glory days, when their star had long faded in to nothing. Their star power and shine had burned out but they wanted that one last chance in the spotlight, their one more time to shine. 

J2H: I've sat and watched the likes of Drake Green, Sean Jackson, Jordan Williams, Nick Jones, all just fade from existence, like their legends never was. I could drag any of those out of the retirement home and beat up on them for fun, but with Kris Ryans, it's different. He's physically in the best shape I've seen him in, he's still got everything he had from the glory days, he is a challenge, but there's one thing stopping you from being a bona fide threat Kris, one thing that's stopping you from taking shit seriously. It's your mind Kris, it's been more than a little distracted lately and it makes you an absolute idiot, that distraction is Mikah.

He didn't dislike Mikah at all, they were more than similar at times with the ego, the attitude their disdain for human life, but he knew she was dragging him down.

J2H: Before you came back, she was playing tonsil hockey with the boss on live fucking television, she was tweeting at him to go to Hawaii and lay in that same bed you're lying in now. He wasn't stupid enough to fall for someone who's had more pricks than a second hand dartboard, but you have and she's got you under a fucking spell. Let's be honest, all we're gonna get for two long weeks is Mikah and Kris in one long fucking conversation over multiple promos, you know it, I know it, we all know it. She has put a spell on you where you've come running back like a little puppy dog with stars in your eyes and it's made you weak as fuck. That's not the Kris Ryans I want to face, that's not the guy I signed up to face at all. I signed up to face the man at the top of his game, the man with no distractions, a man who can think with his big head and not his little head. I know how to separate family life from work life, but you, you've gone running back like nothing has changed, living the charmed life, that's not the Kris Ryans I want to step in the ring with.

He never wanted anything other than the best Kris Ryans he could possible face. Last year was a let down against an opponent who couldn't be bothered, this year, he wanted the absolute best version of his opponent and not some watered down type.

J2H: Get your head out of the clouds, get your body out of the place every man has been before and come and be the best version of yourself Kris, that's the you I want to beat, that's the you I want facing me in the ring, not some bitch who runs back to the bleach blonde whenever she snaps those fingers. I want the best version you've ever been, I want the Kris Ryans that can beat anyone on his day, I want that Kris Ryans who will not back down from anyone, I want that Kris Ryans willing to put everything on the line for one single match.

He emphasised the point by raising a finger, this was the person he wanted.

J2H: I don't want a shell of a man Kris, I want the real deal because I don't wanna hear any lame fucking Deontay Wilder style excuses when I beat you. I want you to sit there, look me in the eye and tell me that I beat the best version of you, that you did everything you physically could, but came up short. That's the Kris Ryans I've been looking forward to facing, so step away from Mikah, save us the boring conversations and be that Kris Ryans that won the world championship, be THAT guy, cause I don't want anything else, I don't want anything less. Anything less wouldn't stand any kinda chance against me, at least you on top form would have a punchers chance of this, but let me make it real clear, even a punchers chance will not be good enough to get past me. I think you know it.

J2H also knew why he was the object of Kris Ryans attentions, he knew from the get go why Kris Ryans wanted this match.

J2H: It's all about the legacy, right Kris? I beat you, I just prove once again that I am the greatest wrestler of all time, but you beat me, people sit up and take notice, people look at you as the man who put my shoulders to the canvas and stopped me from getting up, people see you as the guy that did the unthinkable, the unexpected, the unbelievable and your legacy will be cemented in one night. Become a Hall of Famer and beat J2H in the same night will put you very, very close to my level, but I'm sorry, only one of those things will be happening and as your Hall of Fame has been confirmed - and I very much look forward to Mikah's speech for that.

Although not confirmed anywhere, J2H had an inkling Mikah would be inducting Kris in to the Hall of Fame. It felt considering they're joined at the ass, it would make sense, even if very, very predictable.

J2H: That just means you will not be scoring that huge victory that you so sorely want over me. I know beating me is better than winning any championship in this company, I'm above every single title belt. Beating me is as good as making yourself a legend, but this is your one and only shot Kris, this is where you need to shoot for the moon but I will make it clear, you will fall short, so damn short because me mentality is that if this is my last match, I'm going out on top, I'm going out in a blaze of glory, I'm going out leaving people without a shadow of doubt in their minds who the best in the world, was, is and will always be.

The confidence flowed again, he could feel his heart beating faster in his chest because he truly believed that he would walk out victorious.

J2H: I'm not coming to play around, I'm not coming to even try and mess around, I'm coming to High Stakes XI to do what I do best, I'm coming to High Stakes XI to remind everyone just who I am. Violent Conduct didn't mean a damn thing to me and Austin James Mercer and Tempest know for a fact if it was me and Melody, they wouldn't be champions right now, but this one, this means everything to me, this could write my fairytale ending, this could be the one where it all ends and fuck, if that's the case, I'm going out on my terms, I'm going out with my arm raised, I'm going out as the man who changed everyone's opinion on him. I'm J2H and what's you're gonna get Kris is a one hundred percent J2H performance, what you're gonna get is classic J2H, what you're gonna get is a man with the will to work his nuts off in that ring and walk away from the War of the Gods as the last immortal standing. I have every intention to do that and you better fucking believe that's exactly how it's gonna go down, that's exactly what's gonna happen. For that night, for High Stakes, you become my little bitch instead of Mikah's little bitch.

A serious look was on his face but inside, the twenty seven year old was smiling, he was proud, he could still cut a promo like no other, even without the usual hate for his opponent or looking down his nose at someone. I didn't hate Kris or look down his nose at him... Well, too much, but he was proud of the way he got his point across.

J2H: And that Kris Ryans, is real talk bitch!

And with that, the promo ended, a click of a button in J2H's pocket brought the scene to darkness. It wasn't too long before it was sent in to editing and the world could see once more that the fire in J2H's eyes was well and truly back and his determination to walk out a winner at High Stake XI was at an all time high....
>

Offline Kristopher Ryans

• View Profile
    • Kristopher Ryans
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »
==========================================================

Hall of Fame
Agganis Arena - BOSTON
25 OCTOBER 2021
OFF-Camera

Tonight couldn’t have possibly gone more according to plan. Only a week removed from being announced as the final Hall of Fame inductee, Kris was walking out of Climax Control with another win. Of course, neither of the two matches he had accepted since coming back were of any importance to him. They were just a way to get back into the swing of things before taking on the challenge that he really wanted. It was a risk, but one that had been worth it. Last time he tried to return to the ring he got embarrassed by Bill Barnhart because he hadn’t actually been ready. He was overconfident. He couldn’t afford to have that kind of performance when it came to High Stakes, so risking injury on a couple of Climax Controls leading up to the Battle of the Greats was his only real option anyways. And now he was walking out of those two matches with back-to-back wins in convincing fashion. Unlike last time, nobody was wondering if Kristopher Ryans still had it. He had started the year as SCW World Heavyweight Champion, and returned in the same shape. Anyone that doubted it had been silenced by his last two matches, but it wasn’t just about them. As he did everything else, he took those matches for himself. The fact that it impacted everyone else was just a happy bonus. For Kris, the match with David hadn’t been about some manufactured love triangle. The match against Caleb wasn’t a return match from how they opened the year against each other as champions. They were about knocking off the rust. They were about getting back into the flow of things inside the ring. They were about making one final case for himself heading into the match with the guy that is on the top of every single SCW list of all-time greats. Kris came back for two emphatic victories and a Hall of Fame announcement ahead of High Stakes, and the momentum felt like it was totally on his side. It made him more uneasy than ever.

Usually the festivities would be on his mind. After all, it was the Climax Control Halloween Special. He had always donned a ridiculous costume and gotten in on the fun in previous years. Tonight wasn’t the same as the others though. Since everything had gone perfectly right since coming back, instead of relaxing, he found himself more on edge. He felt like the universe was giving him every reason to let his guard down and just enjoy the ride, but knew that if he did so, it would all crumble around him. Instead of seeking out the spooky hosts, or backstage party, Kris was trying to silently slip through the hallways following his match. If he could just get his stuff and get out of the building before anything bad happened, things might be okay. Then he would just have to keep himself out of trouble until High Stakes actually rolled around. He managed to avoid everyone else long enough to collect his things, and change clothes quickly. For all he knew Mikah was already gone, so he wasn’t going to waste time looking for her. As he tried to slip out of the back towards where he had parked his rental car a familiar voice stopped him.

Jason: So they’re finally letting just anybody in the Hall of Fame...

The anxiety faded from his mind instantly. Kris didn’t even have to turn around to actually lay his eyes on his half-brother to feel better. He shouldn’t have been surprised to have him pop up like this. Jason always had a knack for turning up in the important moments. It was only impressive because Kris wasn’t known for sharing things with people. If people weren’t actively keeping tabs on him, he probably had no idea where he was or what he was doing. The fact that Jason was here showed that he had been paying attention. His presence in and of itself was complimentary, even if his words had been a joke at Kris’ expense.

Kris: If they were letting just anyone in, I would probably be going in as a team….

Kris finally turned with a smile on his face, only for Jason to turn the comment back around on him.

Jason: ...Mikah probably said that to you when she got inducted, right? That’s where you got that from. It sounds like something she’d say. She’s much better at hurting feelings than you are.

It didn’t surprise Kris that Jason was going to continue the trend of hyping up Kris’ significant others at his brother’s expense.

Kris: She’s much better at being a tag partner than you are. Probably why The Black Sheep was more successful than Jet City.

Jason shrugged it off. Their team had not only run through the tag division before it was eliminated, but spun off into two successful gyms and students that had gone on to win championships of their own. Kris and Mikah may have been more successful as champions, but there was no arguing which team had the bigger impact, so Jason didn’t feel the need to defend it.

Jason: If I try and argue that I was the better half of our team, you’re just going to bring up beating me straight up in our match, so I’m not going to go there. You win.

The two of them could have gone back and forth like that for hours, but that wasn’t why Jason had come to the show. He closed the distance to his brother and offered his hand first. When Kris took it, the two came together in a brief hug before separating. It was the closest that the two ever allowed themselves to get to each other. Anything else always ended in a scuffle for some reason.

Kris: I have been doing a lot of that winning shit lately. It’s nice.

Jason nodded, but had seen firsthand that there was at least one other person enjoying his recent success more.

Jason: Yeah, well… Your mini-me is pretty excited about the idea that both of his parents are going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame on the same night. Who would have thought that you were going to make it at the same time as The Mean Girls? Or that one of them would have slept with you given who you were when they were doing their thing.

Kris still wasn’t sure if Liz Smalls was even going to make her way to High Stakes to actually be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Every time he had invited her to come to the shows with him, she had turned him down. She always told him that she left that part of her life behind. Now her attention was on her business and raising KJ. Although, since his son would be in the house for High Stakes, maybe it would give Liz every reason to actually show up.

Kris: KJ is actually my next stop. When I leave here I am headed straight there instead of back with Mikah. I figured that a few days up in Jet City would do me some good. Kind of clear my head before everything gets crazy. Maybe I will get to enjoy Halloween with the kids for a change.

Jason softened a little like he had expected to have to fight Kris to get him to go back to Seattle.

Jason: You know, in the past you would have just been laser focused on trying to make everything perfect for High Stakes. Big speech. Bigger match. I kind of thought that you would be spiraling right now with everything going on.

Kris shrugged off the comment without taking offense. There were decades worth of mistakes that helped reinforce his brother’s skepticism. Kris’ biggest roadblock had always been Kris and nobody else. He was by far his own worst enemy, and in the high pressure situations, that had always manifested itself in the worst way. When he was stressed, he was reckless, and that was the easiest way to end up digging himself into another hole both personally and professionally.

Kris: If I am honest, I keep waiting for something to go wrong. I keep waiting for someone to come up to me and say it was all a big mistake. I think about heading out to the ring and then the match not happening. Part of me thinks it is all some prank being pulled on me. I mean, I was the Nobody. Now I’m here?

Jason laughed. It was the only thing that he could do. For years he had felt the same way. Wrestling had always been Kris’ dream, not his own. He had only gotten into it as a way to keep Kris motivated and focused on it. Jason had only made a career out of it after Kris seemed lost for good. When Jason got inducted into another company’s Hall of Fame years ago, he had felt the exact same way.

Jason: One day you’re just a guy looking for a paycheck doing what you like, and the next day everyone thinks that you’re much better than you ever thought you could be. That’s the secret. It kind of just happens. You never feel things change. Eventually it just clicks for everyone. I still wonder how I managed to make the cut.

...but from Kris’ perspective that thought was crazy. His older brother had always been thought of as the better competitor between the two. As a matter of fact, when Kris had beaten him on Climax Control, it was looked at as an upset. He had been a world champion across multiple companies and in multiple countries. Kris got carried to a tag team championship.

Kris: You’ve always been so much better than me. I didn’t think that I would get here.

Jason shook his head without any hesitation.

Jason: I always worked so much harder at this than you ever did, but I never really had that special feel for it. A lot of times I feel like I studied how to be successful, but you were just born to do it. You have that thing that so few people have, and that’s why you’ve gotten where you are. If you weren’t such a fuck-up you would have gotten here a lot faster, but maybe being a fuck-up is part of it. I don’t know.

Kris wasn’t surprised that Jason had to walk back some of the complimentary things that he was saying.

Kris: You can’t just be nice without taking a little shot, can you?

Jason shook his head again, unapologetically.

Jason: Nope. Can you?

Kris opened his mouth to argue, but knew that he didn’t have a leg to stand on. Instead of taking responsibility for the character flaw, he decided to just turn it back around on the man that basically raised him.

Kris: That’s not my fault! I learned it from you!

It wasn’t an excuse that Jason let fly anymore. Kris had overplayed it in their younger years, and then still managed to go way further off the deep end than Jason ever had.

Jason: Well that’s not fair! You learned everything that you know from me...

There may have been a point when that was true. After all, by the time that Kris actually started learning how to move around a ring, Jason had already gotten his first contract. He was on his way to his first World Championship by the time that Kris was good enough to keep up with him in the gym. And maybe his half-brother had been right. Kris knew that Jason had worked harder for all of his success, and he had never really missed a shot. He made the most of all of his opportunities and then walked away on his own terms. Kris had pissed away a whole lot of opportunities, but still built a better career than most people in Sin City. He wished that he had taken it all as seriously as Jason did. Maybe then there wouldn’t have been an argument about who Sin City’s number one is.

Kris: I feel like I have learned some new shit that may surprise you. I’m not just some young kid in your shadow anymore.

It was true. Fenris had been a big part of that. As had Coby and the rest of the students that came through Jet City South. Jason had just given Kris the foundation, and he had built an entire career on top of it.

Jason: No, at this point, you’re not in anyone’s shadow. J2H might think otherwise, but he probably wouldn’t say that behind the scenes.

Kris wasn’t going to distract himself with what J2H might think of him away from an SCW camera. They weren’t friends. They had never even really been friendly. Despite being in the same company for so long, they hadn’t ever been given a reason to cross paths. There careers ran parallel to one another.

Kris: I don’t know. I don’t even really know the guy. Professionally, I don’t even really have a problem with him. I just want to know...

The thought got away from Kris. To be honest, he wasn’t even sure if he knew how he wanted to finish it. Jason took an educated guess.

Jason: ... if he really is that much better than everyone?

It didn’t sound right to Kris right off the bat.

Kris: Nah. Fuck everyone. I want to know if he is really all that much better than me. I mean the guy is the undisputed number one on lists that I don’t even make it onto. He was in the Hall of Fame as soon as it made sense, and I was left on the hook waiting for at least one year, if not two. I mean if you look at our records side-by-side, it’s a wash. But I struggle to even make it into the conversation sometimes...

Jason finally started to get a real feel for the space that his sibling was in mentally. He wasn’t spiraling out of control by any means, but the anxiety was real. The kid had spent his whole life talking about making it into the Hall of Fame. He spent his entire career working just to get that rush from the induction announcement. However, since the moment that J2H got mentioned, Jason saw how much more Kris was focused on this match than he was all of his hard work finally paying off.

Jason: You’re about to be enshrined with the best of the best that have ever worked for Sin City, and you’re still worried about your legacy?

When he said it like that, it almost sounded crazy, but that didn’t make it less true.

Kris: I just don’t want to leave any doubt. When I’m done, I want to really be done. I don’t want there to be people saying, “yeah but…” for the next twenty years. I don’t want to be left out of the conversation. The Hall of Fame is nice, but it didn’t feel as good as I thought it would. This match is a big chunk of the unfinished business that I have. There are a couple things that I need to know before any of this feels real, and one of those I can answer in the ring with J2H. I want to know how I stack up. Fuck the paperwork. Fuck the histories. I want to be able to watch this match back later and know that I was better.

It made Jason more nervous than he had been to show up in the first place. Kris placing so much weight on a match that could go either way felt dangerous. Maybe he had just been hoping that Kris would be so wrapped up in the Hall of Fame that the build up of this match was secondary. Obviously he had been wrong. It was the opposite. The Hall of Fame was a lock now, so Kris’ focus was on the one thing that could ruin it all.

Jason: One match, even the biggest match, doesn’t outweigh an entire career. I don’t want things to go the other way and watch you think that it invalidates everything else. You don’t need this. You just want it a whole lot.

Kris dropped his arms and shook his head. He wasn’t angry, but he was now totally serious. Usually the back and forth between the two of them was playful, but Kris needed this point to get across or else his brother was just going to become a distraction.

Kris: No. Full stop. I need you to understand this 100%. I don’t want to win this match. I need to win this match. If J2H loses, nothing happens. The day goes on. His place in everyone’s mind is beyond concrete. If I lose, everyone else can just dismiss everything else I have done. Right now, everyone is thinking that there can’t be two transcendent talents in the same company. There has to be a clear number one. In their minds, I’ve already lost. That’s what they think I am...and I know that’s not true. This is my only shot to prove them all wrong in one night. I have to have this match. I have to win it, and it has to be at High Stakes. If you’re here to talk me out of that, you’re wasting your time and mine.

It made sense, but Jason knew that Kris was playing with fire. Jason wasn’t going to force him to shoulder that burden in isolation though. That was the last thing that Kris needed.

Jason: I wouldn’t come all this way to waste your time. Whatever you need, that’s what we’ll do. I just want to help, and then get to show up at High Stakes to see your dream come true.

...and just like that, the smile came back to Kris’ face.

Kris: So I assume that you have a plan to fly us out of here and back home?

Jason nodded.

Jason: Absolutely. I wouldn’t spend more time in Boston than absolutely necessary….

>The days away had done Kris well. He had spent nearly all of his time with his children. They were both excited about getting to come with him to High Stakes, but even more so to dress him in ridiculous Halloween costumes for each of the half dozen events they went to over the course of the week. Kris spent the nights in the gym, going over his craft while nobody was around to bother him. That is where he was tonight. The Battle of the Greats was only a week away, and some of the anxiety was starting to creep back in now that the cameras were rolling. The sweat soaked into his black Jet City shirt made it cling to him, which made the baggy black shorts he was wearing look even bigger than they were. His hair was still wrecked and wet from the workout, but he wanted to get a few things off of his chest before the adrenaline wore off.

For me, this is about legacy.

The words echo around the empty space inside the Jet City Sports Lab.

I get that there are going to be people that can’t wrap their heads around that. There are people out there that have been following me all these years wondering why legacy is even a thing on my mind. There are people that look at how this match has been billed and wonder what I am worried about. I get it. I understand it. I’m happy that they are on my side, but it feels like they are overlooking a lot. There’s a difference between the things that I say, and how things actually work. I can say that I am the best all day everyday, but that doesn’t mean that anyone is listening. I can tell people that they are going to catch an L in the ring, but that doesn’t mean that I’m always right when it comes down to it. Just because I say it, doesn’t make it true. I say that I deserve this. I say that I have deserved to be in the Hall of Fame for years. I say that J2H3 and I probably should have had this match a half-dozen times over by now. I look at our accomplishments and think that we are pretty much split right down the middle. That doesn’t mean that anyone else sees it the same way that I do. I can believe it all day long. That doesn’t make me right. That’s for you all to determine.

All of it was much harder for Kris to address than anything else had been in his SCW career. Even when the stuff with Fenris came out, he was unbothered. After every controversy, he shrugged it off. However, forcing himself to address what he thinks his place in history is made him sick to his stomach. It was one of the rare cases where his back was to the wall and there was no talking his way out of it if anything went bad.

People make top ten lists for Sin City Wrestling that I don’t even make it onto. Yet, there hasn’t been anyone else in company history that has held more championships than I have. There have only been a handful of people with more matches, or a better record than I have in this company. For a long time this has been the only place that I have wanted to compete, but no matter what I do, it’s like everyone would rather I not exist. I am a problematic superstar apparently. That’s why my returns get buried somewhere in the middle of the card. That’s why my appearances are treated like last minute surprises. That’s why this match, even though it was booked over a year in advance, wasn’t official until a few weeks ago.

Kris lets out a frustrated laugh, and redirects his frustration slightly.

...and J2H3 has been telling everyone that this match needs no building. He says that we don’t have to tell anybody that this is going to be “must-see”. So far I have agreed with him, because I thought he was right, and in a way, he is. J2H3 doesn’t need to hype anything. His place in this company can’t be challenged, not even by me. If he loses this match, he is still the greatest of all time. If I walk away with a win, the best I can hope for is to legitimately enter the “best ever” conversation in everyone’s mind. We are not entering this match on an even playing field, and we won’t really be leaving on one no matter what. And why is that? Are our resumes not nearly identical? Are we not basically the top two superstars for any record in this company worth having?

He shakes his head, but bites down on the inside of his cheek. After a single deep breath, he circles around back to the point that he was making originally.

I had to come back into this company and put in the leg work leading into this match. I had to show up and win a few matches before people were going to take me seriously. When I brought this match up over a month ago, the response was a question of if I was actually going to show up for it. Nevermind that I started the year as the top champion in the company. Nevermind that the run that I had in the last two years has been one of the most dominant stretches in company history. Nevermind that I would have likely beaten J2H and Mac a few months ago had I been given a competent partner. Apparently it was up for debate whether or not I could be trusted to even show up to do what I do best. At the time it took me by surprise. Then a lot of stuff started to make more sense.

His tone softens a little bit. The focus was off of his insecurity and back on everyone else so he was able to loosen up a little. His shoulders relax, and he actually takes a calm breath before jumping back in.

I have been arguing for the Hall of Fame behind the scenes for a couple of years. I set records with the Roulette Championship. I had one of the longest championship reigns and undefeated streaks in the company. I was a Grand Slam Champion, even though at a handful of points the powers that be forgot that. I kept getting told that the time wasn’t right. I kept getting the cold shoulder. I kept watching people that had done less than me get inducted into a place where they shouldn’t have been allowed to be. I mean look at my fucking resume. I’m not going to be like Mercedes and parade it out in front of everyone week after week, but there is nobody, save one guy, that has done the things that I have done. I am not only a Grand Slam Champion, I am one championship away from doing it twice. Something that the majority of individuals in this company will never achieve; I am close to doing for a second time. Is that the kind of person that you hold out of the Hall of Fame? No. Because every single other Grand Slam Champion is already in. If you put my name next to anyone else in this company, I come out looking better. Yet, my accomplishments are apparently so easily forgettable that people are left to wonder if I am actually going to be in the arena when I am supposed to be.

He quickly turns his point back towards the match at High Stakes.

If I walk into High Stakes, get inducted into the Hall of Fame, and then lose this match, all I am doing is giving everyone an excuse to write me off all over again. At this point in my career, I really don’t feel like I should have to prove myself anymore. I don’t feel like I should be forced to earn my place every single time that I show up. I look at J2H3, and the treatment he gets, and understand that there is a level of credit that I have never been given for the things that I do for this company. There was a time where I believed the letters SCW and my name were synonymous. SCW was Kris. Kris was SCW. And now I am starting to see that none of the higher ups really ever saw it that way. For Mark I was always just a longshot that made money when it paid off. For Christian I was just another guy to objectify for fun. And don’t get me wrong. I played the role that I was given without any complaints for a long time. I just feel like I have earned my way out of that by now. I feel like at some point I should have been looked at as more than that. Haven’t I done enough?

He looked as if he honestly didn’t know the answer to that question anymore. It wasn’t about belief in himself. He had always had that in excess. It was about his place in the company, and what he deserved.

I have never come out and campaigned for myself. I don’t think there’s ever been a match that I have demanded. I have never asked for a championship match. All I do is go out there and win the match that I am given. Sometimes those matches have higher stakes, like when Crystal hooked me up with a championship match that I never wanted. Sometimes those matches derail someone’s plan for their career, like when I crushed Griffin Hawkins in back-to-back matches before he left the company and stopped speaking to me. Sometimes there are championships on the line, and when there are, I usually win. At this point, I’m pretty sure that I have spent more active days in this company as a champion than I have without a championship. I am one of just a couple of people to hold multiple championships in this company at the same time, and I have done it twice. You know who else is on that list? The guy that will be standing across the ring from me. I am also one of the few people that has had such an abundance of championship luck that I had to literally give one away. You know who else had to do that? You guessed it. J2H3. There’s nothing that one of us has done that the other hasn’t. Every award. Every championship. We have dominated every facet of Sin City Wrestling.

It almost got under his skin how much their accomplishments offset each other. Usually Kris could look at an opponent and feel superior in at least one way. That wasn’t the case now. There weren’t going to be any clear advantages for either of the two superstars in reality. That is what made it such a huge match.

It makes me sick that we haven’t done this before now. How long have we both been here, James? How many times could we have made this happen? We see champion vs champion matches all the time in this company. How did Mark and Christian not make their dominant Roulette Champion face their record breaking, vampire-slaying World Heavyweight Champion headline a Climax Control against one another? When we started out, Nobody was taking either of us seriously. We were a joke, albeit for different reasons. You had that over-inflated view of yourself even before you were able to back it up. It wasn’t until you showed up and fucked up one of my championship matches with your new attitude and physique that you even got any traction in this company. We were getting started at the same time, and starting from the same place. However, you got the shove towards the top, and I got the “you just gotta earn it” speech at every turn. You caught every break that you needed in order to skyrocket to the top, and by then you had developed the skills to keep you there. I had to claw my way out of the basement to get a shot at the lowest championship, and only got looked at as a real contender when I broke every record with it.

Another one of those small laughs of frustration slipped from between his lips. He shakes his head and kicks at the bottom rope of the ring.

...had this match happened at any time other than right now, would we even be here? What if after that match you interrupted, we had to square off? A loss there could have sent you right back off track. You hadn’t gotten your feet under yourself yet. You hadn’t hit your stride. What if they let me challenge you as a champion back when you held it for a year? Instead, we put it off, and put it off. There was always a reason to push this match to the back burner. There was always a bigger name out there that you would rather focus on. Kristopher Ryans was never a real threat.

He turns back to the camera with the widest smile that we have seen tonight.

...and then The Miracle happened. I won both the World Heavyweight Championship and the Roulette Championship on the same night and the company was supposed to close its doors forever. I liberated all of the most important gold from two of the biggest douchebags that have ever gotten a paycheck from this company. I gave the fans a reason to have spent so much of their time with us. I went out and earned my spot in history forever, or so I thought. How many years ago was that at this point? It’s been so long that most of the people on the roster probably don’t have any idea what I am talking about. I came back and defended that championship for longer than anyone thought that I could. I won it again last year, and held it for another few months even though I really wasn’t even trying to operate at that level anymore. I was content to carry the Mixed Tag Team Championships until they had to rename the damned division after me, but that wasn’t what the people wanted. I had the opportunity. I had to take it. And since I am that fucking good, I won. Because it’s what I do. Both Caleb Storms and David Shepherd have learned that recently because apparently SCW at large needed a refresher on exactly who the fuck I am.

He shrugs his shoulders, his eyes locked on the lens of the camera.

So who am I? Who is Kris Ryans?

He drops his arms down and his hands clap against his sides.

I’m the only guy in this match that absolutely has to win. There is no other option for me. I don’t get the benefit of the doubt from the fans, from the owners, or from anyone else on the roster. My spot is always up for grabs, no matter what it is that I do. There is nothing undisputed about my place in this company, and I guess that is absolutely fine with me. If it’s malleable, that means that there’s no height that I can’t rise to. If I have to step out and prove that every single time out in the ring, that is only going to make me more dangerous to whoever is standing out there opposite me. It means that no matter what I do, my back is always going to be against the wall. I can’t sit back and rest. I can’t kick back and say that a match will sell itself. If I do that, I’m lazy. If I do that, people think that maybe I won’t show up. If I want to be considered the best in this company, I have to go out there and beat the only guy that I haven’t ever been given a real chance to go out there and beat. When I win this match, I take back control of my legacy. Try and convince anyone that doesn’t make me more motivated than someone just out here to collect a big check.

Sure, Kris had said that he was in the match for the money as well, but things had changed since then. The closer it got, the more people had started to count him out of the match before the event had even begun. That wasn’t something that he could take lightly. Everyone had inadvertently given him the motivation that until recently he didn’t even notice that he was lacking. This was going to be his one and only chance to set things right for forever. He wasn’t letting that slip through his fingers.

J2H3 has had it easy. He hasn’t had to go out there and actually earn anything in a very long time. Despite all I have done, I haven’t had the same luxury. I have had to stay ready. I have had to keep adapting and learning. I have had to prove myself over and over and over again every night. So when I walk into this match at High Stakes, it is just business as usual for me. It’s not going to feel any different than any other night. I’m not going to let this Hall of Fame business blind me to the real moment at hand either. Regardless of getting a flashy ring, or getting inducted into a very small club, my legacy is going to hinge on what happens inside those ropes just like it always has. And I am going to go out and do the thing that nobody says that I can… like I always do.

Nothing about his approach would change for this match, but that didn’t mean that the stakes were much higher than they had been for a long time. Even losing his championship to Jack earlier in the year had largely been swept under the rug because of their first three meetings. There was not going to be another shot at this match. Not against J2H. Not at High Stakes. This was it, and Kris was fine with that.

My legacy is not as secure as James’ is, and maybe it never will be.

He shrugs his shoulders, finally letting go of the things that he can’t control.

...but after High Stakes, my name is going to be in the conversation for the rest of human history. I am taking this win. I am proving to everyone that I am the rightful top of the food chain in this company. There is nothing that anyone on the roster, anyone in management, or the guy standing across the ring from me can do about that.

The signature smirk that had gotten him into so much trouble in his career comes back to his face. The confidence that had been buried beneath all the negativity he had unloaded was finally starting to shine through. He points directly at the lens of the camera with a wink.

You’re all going to learn to start minding your manners when you bring my name up.

The smirk grows into a full smile, and he holds his arms out to his sides.

...because there is no one like me.

With that, he looks up at the ceiling, and the lights above him click off. There is a laugh that cuts through the darkness just before the feed cuts off.

See you soon….

>

Offline Kristopher Ryans

• View Profile
    • Kristopher Ryans
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 03:07:44 AM »

>Am I the only one that remembers Climax Control 300?

Cameras flash in front of the Grand Slam Champion. The sounds of the cameras clicking fill the small space. The Sin City logo is hanging on the black makeshift wall behind Kris, and the podium in front of him looks unremarkable in every way. Clearly the set had been hastily thrown together to give the Sin City superstars and bombshells a place to promote their matches once they actually got to NYC, but Kris couldn’t help but feel like they could have gone with more bells and whistles given that it was the biggest show of the year. Not that it mattered. He wasn’t going to be fielding questions from anyone. He had a couple things to get off of his chest based on what his opponent said last week, and he couldn’t keep moving forward towards their match without addressing them first.

It seems like it. It really does. It feels like everyone has let that match slip from their minds because it doesn’t fit the narrative of this match. On paper, J2H3 and I are a perfectly even match. We are the two most successful individuals in company history. We have both been an unstoppable force in Sin City no matter what challenges have been put in front of us.

Kris had made sure to make note of all of their similarities last week. He hadn’t wanted to come off as arrogant. Confidence was one thing, but if the world thought that he was trying too hard, it would only work to turn them against him. Really, it had all just been preparation for this moment. Kris had done the humble thing. Now that it was out of the way, he could say how he really felt without holding back.

All of that is all well and good. It makes it really easy to sell a match to the fans. It builds itself. But it’s not true. All you have to do is look back to the one time that J2H3 and I were in the same ring at the same time. If you watch the one time he was forced to attempt to deal with me in the ring, you will see a guy that is in way over his head. You’ll see the guy people have ordained as the GOAT get schooled by someone that they never really think of in that light. You’ll watch the way that I dominated him at every single turn, and then handed his team the win by laying out O’Malley for him and walking away. The only bit of traction he got in that ring was thanks to me. Other than that, he got his ass handed to him, because he couldn’t keep up. So let’s stop pretending, even for a second, that I am the one at some sort of major disadvantage.

If they wanted a headline, he was going to give it to them. Cross chatter from the media started to fill the space in the moment that Kris had paused, but he wasn’t going to let them stop him to get a word in, and quickly shut it down.

People seem to forget that I have won more matches in this company than J2H3, despite the fact that he is one of the few people still around that made their debut before I did. People want to ignore the fact that even though I have taken massive amounts of time off throughout my career, I have still walked down to that ring more times than even the great and powerful J2H3. I have given more of myself to this company that he has, and come out on top more often. This shit about me looking up at him like he is better than me is over. This underdog narrative is done. At some point it stops being a Miracle if you’ve done it more often than the person everyone considers the best. That’s why I dropped that name. I came to a new conclusion, and I told you all last week.

He stops, and holds his arms out to his sides with the widest possible smile he could muster up given the circumstances.

There is no one like me.

He winks at them, but as soon as his arms drop back to the podium, the smile fades from his face. He didn’t come here to play with them. He had a message that needed to be delivered, and he couldn’t do that with a smile on his face.

Every single champion in this company knows that I could take what they call “theirs” if I truly wanted to. I spent the end of last year and beginning of this one teaching that lesson to Jack Washington. And does anyone think that Caleb Storms feels confident that I could immediately take his title on a whim? I have made him look like an amateur twice this year already. Austin James Mercer would jump at the chance to have Mikah and I team up and challenge for his and Tempest’s Mixed Tag titles. He has said that we are the only ones that could hope to actually give them a run for their money, even though we never had much trouble with teams he was a part of. As for Alex Jones, or Bill Barnhart. We’ve all seen what I have done in the ring with them. And of course, that is assuming that any of them make it out of High Stakes with their championship reigns intact. If I wanted to end them, I could. If I asked for the opportunity, I would get it. So they are only champions because I allow them to be. Understood?

He could tell that one didn’t go over well. The whole crowd in front of him stiffened a little bit, but he wasn’t going to let that kind of reaction stop him. He had been at the center of an arena where thousands of people booed him as ferociously as they could. A small gathering of pencil-pushers weren’t going to intimidate the Grand Slam Champion or get him off of game.

I get it. It’s a bold claim. It would be super arrogant for me to say something like that if it wasn’t one of those facts that was just incontrovertible. This isn’t my opinion. It’s a fact. We have seen it play out time and time again, and I always end up on top. I always end up with my hand raised. The new crop of Sin City superstars that were supposed to have passed me up by now hasn’t come anywhere close, and that’s because I’m not just some run of the mill competitor. I was born to do this. More importantly, I was born to do this in SCW. I was born to be the best that ever competed in that six-sided ring and I refuse to pretend that’s not true anymore. I refuse to further feed into this J2H3 bullshit. I’m done with it. Why? Because I’m better. I’ve always been better. I’m always going to be better. The only reason that I haven’t definitively proven that yet is because the only time we’ve stood across from one another was that tag match, and I had to hand him the win because he couldn’t earn it himself.

Again, the chatter from the media almost cut him off, but Kris looked directly down the lens of the camera with a smirk on his face.

...and that’s real talk, you spoiled bitch!

The room went silent at the use of J2H’s own phrase, albeit with a twist. Suddenly Kris had their attention locked down once again. It didn’t matter what they thought of his words, they were all hooked.

Last week I told all of you how much I need to win this match, and this week I’m telling you why. I am sick and tired of the comparisons. It makes me nauseous that people overlook me in favor of this fuck. It turns my stomach that no matter what I do, I am still having to compete to even be mentioned in the same sentence, let alone with the respect on my name that I deserve. There was a time where my name was synonymous with this company. Kris was SCW. Could J2H3 honestly say the same thing? Has there ever been a time where he was in it for anything other than himself? Has there ever been a time that he had to actually fight and claw his way up to the top, because for the life of me I can only remember how he cheated and shortcutted his way to the top at every turn.

Kris’ fists clench, and he actually slams them down into the podium. He starts to speak, but bites down on the inside of his cheek to stop himself. He looks away for just a moment while everyone in the room hangs in silence.

...and I was fine selling his lie that this was a battle of two equals… until last week. Last week he crossed a line. Because this whole thing is about us. This is about the two greatest superstars in the company finally getting to square off one-on-one. This isn’t about our friends. This isn’t about our family. This definitely isn’t about our choice in significant others. Go look at what I said last week. You won’t find Melody’s name in it anywhere. Why? Because this match isn’t about some high-maintenance former bombshell. J2H3 seems to think otherwise, because he spent a lot of time talking about who I choose to spend time with outside of the Sin City ring, and that’s the problem. Let’s put aside the fact that as a team in that ring, Mikah and I are undefeated. Let’s put aside that Mikah and I have been off-and-on for the majority of the time I have spent in the company at this point. If she was such a distraction, how would I have done any of the things that I have done in my time here? If she was such a fucking obstacle to plan around, how did I win the World Mixed Tag Team Championship with her, and then go on to take the SCW World Heavyweight Championship as a side hussle? Explain to me how one of the people closest to me in this world has a negative impact on me. Show me one way that she has derailed any of my pursuits in this company! Give me one legitimate negative that isn’t just some cheap punchline. You’re not the first person to try and use her against me, but you were by far the least creative about it. You want to talk about some scandalous sexual history in this company? I’m standing right here. You don’t even have to reach to make jokes about me, because people bought the video proof of my mistakes a long time ago. But you chose to take a shot at someone that didn’t deserve it...

Kris shakes his head at the camera, still speaking to his opponent through it. It was almost like the people in the room with him didn’t even exist anymore. Their part in this conversation was over. He didn’t even need their murmurs anymore.

...and the problem was that I expected better of you. The only thing that you’re telling me when you talk about her is that you don’t really have anything worth saying left in you. You took the low road, because you don’t pay enough attention anymore to be able to say anything about me that could actually get under my skin. Or maybe I’m not giving myself enough credit. Maybe you watched the tape back of me in the ring and you couldn’t find a flaw. You’ve listened to the way that I dissect people in front of a camera, and couldn’t find a soft spot in my game. You wanted to sound like you were on my level, just like you pretend to be on my level in the ring, but you failed. You came up short. You took the easy bait, and I’m here to tell you that you fell on your face just like you’re going to at High Stakes. The fact that you’re trying to make this match about anything more than the two of us shows me how nervous you actually are. You say this is your chance at that perfect swan song send off? Too bad.

Kris laughs, and there is a sick kind of joy in it. It sounded like he was going to enjoy ruining the moment for J2H as much as he was going to enjoy winning it for himself.

You want to prove that you are the best one more time? For what? You? Your kid? I don’t care, and by the time I am done I am hoping that people are left wondering why they ever labored under the delusion that you were better than me in the first place. People have been blind for far too long and what you are saying is that High Stakes is my very last chance to wake them up before you ride off into the sunset with your false narrative. I’m not going to let that happen. Just like I wasn’t going to watch Full Circle end with either of the two biggest assholes in company history getting the last laugh. I’m not going to willingly watch you walk away happy knowing that I’ve always been better than you are. I have kept my mouth mostly shut out of some misplaced sense of respect for what you’ve done in this company, but that went out the window when I actually listened to what you had to say.

Maybe it was giving J2H exactly what he wanted, but Kris didn’t care.

You want the best version of Kris Ryans? You got it, because that is who I am every single time that I step in the ring. That’s why you can count the amount of times I have lost matches in the last year on one hand. That’s why you’ll struggle to come up with times that I have dropped back-to-back matches. That’s why when you think of champions in this company, my name is one of the first ones to come up. I am everywhere throughout this company’s record books because I show up to win every time I step into the ring. Since my big turnaround in this company I have been unstoppable. I have done whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, no matter who was in my way. This match is not going to be any different. At High Stakes, J2H3 is going to learn exactly why we haven’t had a real one-on-one match to this point in our careers.

With that, he breaks his attention from the camera and scans over the crowd of faces in front of him.

I’m putting an end to the hype right in the center of the High Stakes ring.

He taps the top of the podium twice and then straightens himself up. After a single deep breath, he leans into the microphone with a sick smile on his face.

Don’t miss it.

With that, hands fly up from all of the people in the crowd. They all scream over each other, making it impossible for Kris to pick out anything that any individual says. He didn’t intend on answering any of them anyways, and with a wave, he slides backwards off the makeshift stage and behind the curtain out of view.

Reckless Elite
SCW Press Day - NYC
5 November 2021
OFF-Camera

Kris heads down the hallway with a smile on his face. He is finally able to unclench his fists, and a lot of the tension in his body was starting to ease. With each step, he felt as if the weight was being lifted a little bit further off of his chest. He had bottled up a lot of those feelings for a long time and in the last two weeks had really aired out most of his grievances with the company that he called home, and the people affiliated with it. He wasn’t going to lie to himself and say that it didn’t feel amazing to finally let it all out. He had been worried about how it would sound. He had been worried what people would think of him if he wasn’t humble about his place in the company. It didn’t matter anymore though. Kris was finally going into the hall of fame and he was absolutely tired of being overlooked. It didn’t help that he was infinitely more tired of defending his choices in life partners. And as if on cue, as his thoughts turned that direction, Mikah popped around the corner in front of him to cut him off in the hallway. She didn’t seem as pleased with his comments as he was, but Kris wasn’t going to let that get him down.

Kris: I feel much better now...

She shakes her head and crosses her arms in front of her chest. The sleeves on her black dress push up her forearms from how tightly she brings them together. She tries to keep a soft expression on her face, but can’t stop the disappointed shake of her head. It was her inner parent taking over.

Mikah: You know, you didn’t have to do that.

Kris had debated that with himself for days. From the moment that he had listened to the vile nonsense that James had spewed at the both of them in his promo, he had been thinking about the best way to address it. The fact was, there was no best way. Addressing it at all was going to give James a big win. He was going to have successfully changed the conversation away from the match, and onto something to attempt to knock Kris off his game, and Kris had just let him get away with it by responding. On the flip side, not responding at all would have left Mikah hanging out on that ledge alone, and that wasn’t something Kris was willing to do either. If he had to throw himself into the fire for someone inside his very small circle, then so be it. It was the price of having those kinds of relationships, and without them, Kris was nothing.

Kris: Oh, but I did. I’m tired of it. It’s not just you though, not that I mind having to defend your honor in public. You’re just more than capable of doing that for yourself.

The tension in her arms and shoulders eased up a bit. It was reassuring to know that Kris understood that she didn’t need help sticking up for herself. Although, if it were up to her, she would have gone about it differently.

Mikah: Or just ignoring it… I didn’t get this far worrying about what anyone else thought of me. Except maybe you...

Kris wasn’t taking the bait on that one. Over the years, they had gone long periods of time without speaking to each other only to come back together and be nearly inseparable, but at no time did he ever get the impression that what he thought of her would affect her opinion of herself in the least. That was part of what he enjoyed most about her. Mikah knew exactly who she was, and who she wanted to be. The cameras didn’t change that one bit, and he knew what he was getting into when they started this relationship.

Kris: You don’t have to lie to make me feel better.

She shrugs, and doesn’t try to stick with the little white lie even for a second.

Mikah: Okay, well then not even you. At least not most of the time. Living for someone else’s approval is lame anyways. I prefer how we do things.

That was something that they could both agree on. Neither of them had any need to censor themselves or their feelings for one another. Sure, things got messy sometimes, but that was the only way that they were going to be able to honestly communicate with each other. It had gotten them this far, and Kris knew it could go much further if he could keep himself together for a change.

Kris: What I don’t understand is why everyone’s focus is always on whatever relationship I am in. I swear, they care more about where I am sleeping than they do about who I beat in the ring.

There was another simple solution to that problem that Mikah had brought up months ago, and she wasn’t going to let an opportunity to rub that in his face go to waste. It may have been a character flaw, but she liked being right almost more than she like him.

Mikah: If you hate it that much, you should have been more quiet about it. Instead, you live loudly and then get mad when people have an opinion about it. You need to just let it go. Nobody else’s opinion matters. If it doesn’t bother you enough to break it off, then it doesn’t actually bother you.

All of the words seemed really easy to say, but Kris found them more difficult to put into practice. If he was honest with himself, he wasn’t certain that Mikah did either.

Kris: Do you actually let it go though? I mean it has to eat at you a little bit. I mean, when people were attacking me and Fenris, it wasn’t fun. It also had nothing to do with Sin City at all. We were both still doing our job out there. We were competing at the highest possible level. The story just became all about other bullshit though. Why can’t people just focus on what we do in the ring? Why does it have to be all the other stuff too?

Having competed in the ring for so long herself, it was a subject that she had spent a good deal of time laying in bed at night thinking about. It didn’t help that she had been married to someone with the same problem. She knew at least one answer that worked for her more often than not.

Mikah: ...you ever think it is because you are just that damn good? It’s not like anyone has ever walked all over you out there. The only way most people have a chance is to get you thinking about something else. And you’re just letting this get under your skin instead of just brushing it off like you know that you should.

On some level he agreed with her, but there was something about it that was weighing on him. This wasn’t just some isolated incident. It was part of the same cycle that he had been stuck in for years. Every time things started to look up for him, something like this popped up and then things spiraled out of control. It felt like the beginning of the downward slope, and that wasn’t something that he wanted on his mind heading into High Stakes.

Kris: Sometimes it just feels like everyone wants me to be miserable. Every time I take a step forward personally, everyone wants to chop it down and tell me why I am an idiot. If everyone would just take a step backwards out of my personal life maybe I wouldn’t have been so fucked up for so long. Like, how many breakdowns and relapses does a guy have to go through before they get some space.

As someone that had lived through a lot of them with him, Mikah does the quick math in her head before giving an answer that she knew was going to be too honest.

Mikah: Apparently like a dozen or so...

The smile falls off of Kris face immediate, and he shakes his head at her.

Kris: Not funny.

She had succeeded in drawing his ire away from the stupid things that stupid people were talking about and onto her with the comment, and she wasn’t too worried about him staying irritated with her for very long. He always came around.

Mikah: You’re taking this thing entirely too seriously. I saw what you said, and my biggest takeaway from it was that you seemed a lot angrier than normal. What do you have to be so hostile about anyways? This is High Stakes! Our families are traveling together and nothing has gone horrible yet. Your kids are going to be there when you get inducted into the Hall of Fame in a few days, and you get to come home to me regardless of who is mean to you about it. That’s not a bad life.

When she put it like that, it became a lot harder for Kris to disagree with.

Kris: People could have made it a little easier on me though.

That was what it really came down to, which was something that Kris was going to have to dig into for himself. Mikah couldn’t help him with that one. The path he took was his own to carry around. There was something to his jealousy about how easy James had it though. That wasn’t something she was going to help him uncover.

Mikah: ...and then you wouldn't be you. You’d be James, and come time for High Stakes, you would be the one losing the match. Everything has come easy to him, and that’s why he doesn’t really appreciate it like you do. You don’t see him coming back to carrying the Mixed Tag Championship at this point in his career do you? No. You care about Sin City for some weird reason. He is just out for himself.

He could tell that she didn’t really feel the same way about the company that they had both been in for too many years at this point. However, nothing she said caught him by surprise. Everyone knew that James was a selfish twat. That wasn’t going to make headlines no matter how slow the news day was.

Kris: Your point?

She shrugs, almost sad that he couldn’t see her point without having it spelled out to him. He was too smart to be acting this stupid.

Mikah: This means more to you than it does to him. It has to. I listen to the way that you talk, and I hear the things that he says. He clearly would rather be at home with his wife doing the family thing. All he wants is the money that comes with his status in the company. Every time you talk about competing, you say that you’re going home. Like, that ring really is home for you. It’s where you’re most comfortable. It’s what you want. At best, he is just a guest in that ring, but it belongs to you and you to it.

She wasn’t wrong, but when she put it like that, it didn’t paint Kris in the best light. In fact, it made him feel worse.

Kris: You make it sound like I like being there more than being with you.

Mikah nods without hesitation, without any regard for his feelings.

Mikah: You probably do... deep down. I mean, that is a big reason why none of your other relationships ever worked, right? Liz wanted to go home. Heather wanted to stay home. In the ring is where you want to be though. There is no prying you out of it. I wouldn’t even begin to try. I made my peace with that before we jumped into this officially.

The matter of fact nature of her words made him remember why they clicked so easily as both friends and more than. She wasn’t going to bullshit him, no matter what the words sounded like when they left her mouth. Sometimes they could be harsh, but it was always honest. He always knew exactly where he stood with her, and there was something comforting about that.

Kris: ...and you’re not having any regrets about that now that people are making you a target just to get to me?

She shakes her head to disagree just as quickly as she had agreed with him previously.

Mikah: I have been in the Hall of Fame for a while already. I think I’m more than capable of taking care of myself. I never needed a knight in shining armor. I was never a damsel in distress. As good as you are, you need to remember that I’m better.

His jaw falls open and his eyes widen. He couldn’t believe his ears. Any feeling of anger inside of him was gone. All of the things that he was upset about had fallen completely off of his mind. The shock of her statement took over him entirely, and he shook his head in disbelief.

Kris: Is that right?

Her eyes narrow on him, and she nods both slowly and confidently.

Mikah: I carried us as a tag team. We’re undefeated because of me. Everyone knows that.

Kris lets out a heavy sigh and shakes his head at her. At first he is speechless, and takes a step away from her before starting to move down the hallway past her.

Kris: Now you’re just talking reckless….

She hooks her arm inside his, and pulls herself close to his side as they head towards the exit. She gives him a wink and a smile.

Mikah: You can do that when you’re elite like me.

He wasn’t going to argue with her. That never got him anywhere. Besides, they both had a lot more fun when they were on the same page. They weren’t going to let anyone attempt to get them off track again.

>...all things equal, I know that James Huntington-Hawkes III is showing up to High Stakes expecting to walk away with a win.

Kris seems a lot calmer this time around. Since he had unloaded all of that negativity earlier in the week, he was heading into High Stakes a lot more clear headed.

It doesn’t matter what he’s said. It doesn’t matter what I’ve said. We can both think whatever we want going in, but we are both there to do the exact same thing at the end of the night. Only one of us is going to be able to leave happy, and whoever loses may never get a chance to make it right. There is no guarantee that either of us ever step into this ring again. We already know that J2H3 only shows up when he wants to, and I am not really under contract other than this match. Who knows what the future holds for either of us?

It was a foregone conclusion in Kris’ mind that he would be back, but he wasn’t exactly certain when that might be and wasn’t rushing to make plans. Those things tended to come together for him naturally.

Regardless of the future, no matter what the outcome is, this match is going to be a defining statement on both of our legacies in this company. That was the point though. We are going to be competing against one another on the biggest stage that Sin City has to offer. This match didn’t need any hype. This match didn’t need a championship to be on the line. Just look at where the powers that be put us on the card. We’re right there at the top and there is nothing riding on this match other than the reputations of two of the greatest in company history. Our names, our accomplishments, our histories alone are enough to carry us to just about the top of the most important show of the year, and let’s be honest, nobody is tuning in for any of the stuff that happens after us. Nobody is paying attention to what is going to be happening before us unless it is the Hall of Fame ceremony. Plainly speaking, we are the money-maker. We are the headliners, and every single person participating in this show knows it. Whether they’ll admit it or not is irrelevant. They know it; everyone does. From the owners, to the people watching at homes on their couches, everyone’s eyes are on this match.

It was the kind of attention that he had always craved, and now he was getting it twice in one night. The world would hang in the palm of his hand while he was in the spotlight for the Hall of Fame ceremony, but then again later in the night for this match. Some people didn’t even get one bite at that apple. Kris was getting two in one night.

...and that’s fine. A lot of people would crumble under that kind of pressure but J2H3 and I have proven time and time again that we aren’t going to do that. We have been in the matches with everything on the line, and walked out with every single prize we have ever set our eyes on. We have bled in that ring. We have battled to the point of people saying that we should throw in the towel, and still managed to pick ourselves up and find a way to win. The two of us are the most capable of walking into a no-win situation and surviving despite the odds. We are the two people in this company that always have to be taken as a threat no matter the situation. We may have gotten there on different paths. One of us may have had to try a little harder. The other may have cheated a little more. There is no use in pointing the finger of blame at anyone though, because at the end of the day we are both standing in the same place. We have both done everything in this company worth doing, aside from one thing. J2H3 has never beaten Kristopher Ryans. “The Miracle” Kristopher Ryans has never beaten James Huntington-Hawkes III. Not when I was a Nobody and he was a talentless hack that bought his way onto the roster. Not when he was the unstoppable SCW World Heavyweight Champion. Not when I was breaking every Roulette Championship record. Not even when I went undefeated for an entire year and went on my own tear as World Heavyweight Champion. We have had thousands of times to do this at more memorable, and significantly less memorable times in our careers and it never happened before now. For all we know, it will never happen again. This is our one chance. Our one opportunity to know, not think, but know, which one of us is better and we have both made careers out of rising to those occasions. We both have a storied history of seizing these kinds of moments, which is the reason that we have both held multiple championships simultaneously in this company multiple times. It is the reason that by the end of this weekend, we will both be in the Hall of Fame.

It was the final hurdle that Kris needed to clear in order to be officially considered in the same league as the man many had already labeled the GOAT.

Nothing that came before, and nothing that comes after this moment is going to matter. After this match, nobody is going to be able to mention either of our names without talking about this one. Whoever wins is going to have eternal bragging rights. Whoever loses is going to have to wear that shame for the rest of the time that they are involved in this business. For the first time in our career, we are in a position that one of the two of us is finally going to have to fall short, and I have been going out of my way to make sure that it’s not me. J2H3 can say whatever he wants about me being distracted, but the people paying attention have seen me in the arenas. They have seen me competing in the ring. They see me focused in the gym. Even though I have a family, a significant other, and a gym to run, I stay focused on what it is that I want, and what I have wanted for over a year was to win this match. So I made sure that I came in and put in the work required. We booked this match a year in advance, and just because I could, I fit in another SCW World Heavyweight Championship reign in that time just so that I could say that I was still at the absolute top of my game. When was the last time that we saw J2H3 compete at that level? It’s okay if you’re struggling to remember, because we haven’t seen a whole lot of him since he moved on to his family distractions.

It was the cheapest of shots, but turnabout's fair play.

...and I even took a few matches on Climax Control just to make sure that I was going to be ready to step into the ring and be successful. I wanted to be crisp, and ready for anything. I didn’t want to be working out any kinks in the middle of the biggest match of my career. I didn’t want to run out of gas halfway through the greatest war of my life. I understood over a year ago that I was going to be sharing the ring with a guy that people have already anointed as the best that there will ever be, and I have worked my ass off every single day since. I stopped coasting as a Mixed Tag Team Champion and went after the big prize. I tried competing against the best that this company has to offer these days, and cut them down one at a time. I even beat some of them so bad that they had to walk away in shame afterwards. So many people have talked down to me like I shouldn’t have even come back after Full Circle, and hardly any of them have risen to the occasion and beaten me since then.

He struggles to recall the actual stat, but tries to be close.

We’re talking, what… two legit losses in the last couple of years? The one that I admittedly flubbed on my first night back last year, and then the loss to Jack when he took the championship back from me. Of course, I’m not counting the night that I pummeled J2H3 before laying O’Malley out for him to pin. I didn’t so much lose that one as much as I gave it away. I can’t stand O’Malley and after embarrassing James, I figured that I could throw him a bone. I wouldn’t have wanted him to look back on that tag match and have second thoughts about what he can do to keep up to me in this one. But then again, maybe he has pushed that meeting to the back of his mind. After all, it wouldn’t really fit in with the history he has tried to rewrite about that night.

Kris was determined to stop that from happening, if not just to preserve his own legacy.

In the end, none of the words, none of the build-up, and none of the hype are going to matter. Once we get down to that ring, lightning is going to strike. For as long as it takes for a winner to emerge, people are going to be glued to the edge of their seat. People are going to be upset about blinking and having to miss even a second of the action. The bathrooms and concession stands are going to be empty and every single monitor in the back of the arena is going to be crowded. Regardless of what anyone thinks about me or J2H3 personally, they know what this match means to the fans, and to this company. Everyone knows how big this is, and that’s exactly how they got the two biggest egos in company history to agree to finally do it. There are very few times in life that anyone can honestly say that the world hung in anticipation for something that was about to happen, but I am living one of those moments right now. Nothing that I have ever done has felt this big, and I bet that J2H3 feels the exact same way. The both of us are going into this thing to win. There aren’t going to be any excuses afterwards from either camp. Neither of us are looking to leave any questions unanswered. The winner of this one is going to be indisputable if either of us have anything to say about it. I know that I have to be ready for everything that J2H3 has at his disposal. I have to be prepared for every little thing that this guy has ever done to succeed in the ring, and that is difficult because we employ a lot of the same style. There is going to be a lot of high risk involved in this match, but for one of the two of us, also the ultimate reward. One of the two of us is going to walk out of this match as the best that this company has ever had to offer the world. One of us is going to accomplish the very last thing that either of us has left to do in this company. Only one of us is walking out of High Stakes victorious...

However, Kris wasn’t going to leave it up to the fans to decide who that was going to be.

....and the other one of us has too many fucking numbers in his name.

With a smirk, the feed cuts.

>

Offline J2H

• View Profile
    • J2H
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »
There's many reasons why J2H only ever wrestled in SCW. Every federation on the planet claimed to have the best talent in the world, but we know that is not true. Every company claimed to have the best people running the place, but again, we know that's not true. Most companies have generic wrestlers doing generic things, wearing one colored shorts, cutting the same old, uninspiring, uncreative bullshit promos, that last thirty seconds and claim their the greatest thing since sliced bread. SCW did have the biggest talent in the world, the best talent in the world, and eventually, the people worth a shit gravitated themselves towards SCW. Just look at Myra Rivers, she's been tweet happy lately saying how she is glad she came to SCW, and is SCW for life. Jessie Salco has been selling the company to every single person she could after that ridiculous stunt a certain other federation recently pulled. Look at this High Stakes card alone, Melody Grace returns, Mikah returns, debut from another bible basher, rumors of other returns and debuts.

SCW has the drawing power like no other, one of the reasons of why go anywhere else? Why go anywhere else when the talent that has been through the revolving door of SCW has been nothing short of phenomenal? Why go elsewhere when SCW can take a wrestler and mould them in to a star, and yes, I put J2H in that category.

That was one of many reasons. The schedule, the schedule was one of the most relaxed in the world. No house shows, just TV, work on the promo side, the public relations side a few hours a day and life was golden. SCW was smart in that sense. By all means go home for five days if you want but set you up with local things to help sell the company. It's a diverse strategy that appealed to J2H. SCW had wrestlers from all over the world, for a couple of hours a week, you could go do a signing, go work on a promo and you're hitting markets all over the world in one go. Asses on seats and eyes on screens is the easiest way to put it without too much effort. Smart business.

J2H was a huge asset in that sense when SCW wanted to put him to use, he was an ambassador for the company at times, his phone would go off, Christian or Mark on the other end offering him a couple of thousand for an hours work within short distance of his home and those offers came a lot. He lived in Beverly Hills, he was close to Los Angeles, one hell of a diverse place. There was countless places SCW could set him or Melody up with to sell the SCW brand. Store openings, club nights, sports events, pretty much anything.

Why be anywhere else when your health is respected in such a way, that for a physical sport, the company does everything it can to take it easy on you. So many places just want to take from wrestlers till they're beaten and broken, till they're nothing but a shell of who they were, all the juice taken out of them. Austin Parker once told J2H in one of his many rants on the ranch about SCW and the way he was treated, to stick with it, there was so many other shit holes out there that wouldn't give this level of respect to their guys.

Another reason, SCW operated close to home. California had a lot of SCW shows pre pandemic. Many within a very short distance. Vegas wasn't too far away either, both great places to work. Both had entertaining things going on, although J2H very rarely ventured out with people after shows, he was happy to do what he had to and go home, but still, there were life in those states. The tours around the world was incredible, paid to see the world and work one show, and some promotional stuff was amazing, especially when SCW would pay for most of it. Exotic places as well as die hard fans in locations was something that was hard to put in to words. Obviously, there was some drawbacks to this. Arizona, so many shows in Arizona and the place is boring as fuck. There's nothing special about Arizona, but the selling side is that it wasn't too far from home. It wasn't at the other end of the country, it wasn't a one of blood money show on the other side of the world. It was close, another selling point to work for SCW.

However, there was situations like the one he found himself in now. SCW had been on a celebration tour in a way, a celebration of life trying to get back to normal. SCW had arranged a tour of America, again, smart business when you consider the fans have been locked away for so long, starved of live entertainment. Vegas had seen the SCW and SCU stars week in and week out when the rules changed, but SCW was now hitting places that are hungry to see their favorite wrestlers. That is not a fun side for J2H.

He thought when he agreed this match, the show would be in Las Vegas, it's SCW biggest show of the year and he thought Vegas would be a great place to hold it. The MGM Grand would have been a great choice. He never expected this cycle to extend the tour, he thought Vegas was gonna be the one where the whole build up and show would likely be. He had even considered a penthouse suite in Vegas for two months with his wife, son and Simpson, to really get in to the High Stake spirit, but SCW had pissed in his drink so to speak.

Madison Square Garden, the home of so many things, but famous for huge wrestling shows, and I mean HUGE shows. A place where the greatest in our history have stepped in the ring in front of over eighteen thousand fans. It was by far the Mecca of wrestling, and one if the biggest shows SCW had ever done. Maybe this was a sign that SCW was about to step up their arena booking, no more shitty little nightclubs and after ten years, the evolution from small independent fed, to wrestling powerhouse was complete. J2H had no issue with the venue, although he'd never wrestled there, he had no issue with the fact that in a few days, Eighteen thousand plus fans would be in that building screaming his name, or cursing it. It didn't worry him that he will be put to sleep during Jake Sullivan's Hall of Fame acceptance speech, it didn't worry him at all about what famous faces he'd bump in to backstage. There was only one thing he didn't like about this whole thing...

... New York.

He hated New York with an absolute passion. He thought it was one of the worst cities in the world. The Big Apple was a rotting cesspit of human life, and tourists. He never understood why people would want to see the city that never sleeps. He never understood why people would waste their money and time in a place where the catchphrase should be "hey I'm walking here!" He through the city would be best served bulldozed and starting again, because to him, the place was rotten to the core of that apple, it was not worth his time to be in, but he knew his personal rules. If it was outside of California, Vegas or Arizona for a supercard, show up days before the event. There was more media shit to be done in the week building up to a supercard than any other time of the SCW cycle. You had to make yourself seen in public, you had to be relatively fan friendly, you had to be approachable even if in character. You had to make yourself a big deal and get media eyes on you. Social media makes that a hell of a lot easier. All you had to do was walk out of a nightclub at two in the morning, and wait for the camera flashes. That was the old J2H, that was not in New York. He didn't want to be around these people, he sure as hell didn't wanna be media friendly, but here he was, stuck in what he took to social media to call a rat hole. He didn't wanna be around the people, he wanted to avoid them as much as he could. He even considered going to New Jersey, and although his links in the past with Gianni Di Luca saw him in Jersey a few times in his life, he didn't consider that was much better.

While Melody loved to soak in the culture of different cities, J2H did not. This was gonna be a hard few days and he was gonna do everything he could to avoid being out, but something did get his curiosity up to leave the rented luxury Chelsea at 777 Sixth Avenue apartment. It was Madison Square Garden, it was the show, he didn't want to show up the day of the show and just look around like usual. He wanted to see what SCW had done with the place. He knew he wouldn't be the only one there, other wrestlers had the same thought, it had been flowing through the dressing room for a while that people wanted to see the place. He didn't know who he'd run in to and he didn't care, but he had to see it for himself.

It was time for a family trip.

There was a reason J2H chose the Chelsea at 777 Sixth Avenue apartment, for he and his family to base themselves out of, well, a few reasons actually. It was an apartment, not a hotel room, sounded by strangers and colleagues, it was just a place he, Melody, James Jr and Simpson could spend the week, without the nuisance of strangers waiting for them in the lobby, people trying to find their room number. It's a blessing and a curse to be that famous. He didn't want to teach his son about that side of fame just yet. the Chelsea apartment seemed to be the best place to be. Plus it way less than half a mile from Madison Square Garden and less than ten to the airport. This could be his safe haven without having to leave and be disturbed. Although that nagging feeling got the best of him and he had to see that arena. He'd promised his son he would take him there and show him some stuff.

James Jr was the biggest wrestling fan in the house. He watched SCW avidly and knew people's names without ever meeting them. He didn't spend much time backstage but when he did, it was often straight to a dressing room and hide away, not through shyness, because J2H didn't want to interact with people he didn't have to, but today, he promised to show his son the arena, hoping it would be quiet and that most of the other SCW wrestlers were out sightseeing. He knew there was a chance he would run in to some people, the bosses schedule meetings with wrestlers and behind the curtain staff at the arena all the time. It wasn't uncommon to have people there that you wouldn't expect.

J2H stood by the front door of the apartment, he had a baseball cap on his head, baggy pants and a zipped up hoodie, the hood over he hat.

J2H: I don't know why we just don't get a car to the arena.

He spoke to himself but Melody was behind him, with young James in tow. He didn't see them coming or even hear them, but Melody's voice caused him to jump out of his skin.

Melody: Because the arena is right across the way, we don't need to burn up gas when it's a nice day out there and we'll be there in a few minutes.

He cocked his head slightly to see Melody as he peered under the lower brim of the baseball cap, keeping his eyes shaded as he hoped not to be recognized on their few minute walk across down West 24th Street and right down 7th Avenue, towards Penn station and through to Madison Square Garden. He knew most of the SCW crew were staying at The Stewart, just across the road from Madison Square Garden and hoped there wouldn't be a crowd of people outside as he passed on the other side of the road.

J2H: Still, it's New York and people are idiots. I don't want them breathing on me.

Melody smiled, knowing her husbands dislike of New York, but she refused to let him get his way with this.

Melody: The fresh air will do you good. It's not too far, and you're doing all you can to cover your face, so let's go. Let's go see what SCW has done to Madison Square Garden.

He wanted to argue and call the whole thing off, screw it, he thought to himself but one look down on his eager sons face, excited to go and possibly meet some of the heroes he sees on TV, made J2H accept the fact of leaving the apartment and going.

J2H: Come on then, let's go to the arena.

He reluctantly opened the door and in to the crisp afternoon air he walked, holding his sons hand on the left side and Melody holding James Jr's hand on the right. J2H looked around apprehensively at the people walking past, his head down. Maybe he should have asked his wife to dress down, but the smile on her face, looking around at the shining city, embracing everything her eyes could see, knows she would never had done so.

Melody: This place is beautiful.

J2H refused comment on the beauty of the city and it wasn't long before they were crossing the road and turning right on 7th Avenue. He glanced his head up to see huge crowds waiting on the other side of the road at the hotel, hoping to catch a glimpse of their favorite SCW wrestler, maybe hoping some would stop for a selfie or an autograph. Moving past Starbucks, the crowd seemed to grow in numbers as security lined the doors in front of the lobby. People hurried past him, crossing the road to join the crowd, not noticing J2H. A few whispers came from the passing crowd that Melody Grace was right there in front of them but thankfully, none stopped the couple as they found their way to Penn station. The area was busy, people moved around bumping in to each other. It made J2H appreciate the quiet life in Beverly Hills where he could stay in his own little world and not have to worry. He looked down at his son, his eyes enthralled by the crowd around him.

J2H: I hate this place.

Although he muttered to himself, he doubted if he said it out loud, anyone would even hear it above the noise of people on cell phones trying to look like a big deal and the noise of the over the top New York traffic.

Melody: There it is.

Melody said to James Jr, as she pointed with her free hand towards the iconic Madison Square Garden. His eyes lit up wide, unable to hide his little smile, the complete opposite of his father, who groaned under his breathe as the three turned left and towards the arena. It wasn't took long before they were at the security office and instantly waved through. There they were, in the backstage area of Madison Square Garden.

J2H: Well, this is busier than I hoped.

And it really was. Not only was SCW's backstage personnel in full flow, but a lot of the SCW roster was backstage. J2H started to move through the building, following signs on the wall to locker rooms, and gorilla position. James Jr looked around excitedly, clinging to his mother's and father's hand as hard as he could as he could finally see some wrestlers that he was so used to seeing on TV.

JJ: Daddy! It's Bulldog and Bea!

J2H cocked his head to the left to see Bulldog Bill Barnhart and his wife Bea, walking out of a room and turning left, away from J2H.

J2H: Yeah, that's Bulldog, but we ain't gonna talk to him, he's probably got more fleas than Iris.

Melody couldn't stop her firing a look towards her husband, but he smiled back at her. He had no major dealings with the Barnhart's and was very unlikely to have in the future. James Jr's eyes grew wider as they rounded the corner, following the signs to the staging area to see none other than Mac Bane and Amber Ryan.... or was it Bane now? J2H didn't care but a certain little guy did.

JJ: Mac Bane!

Hearing his name, Mac turned his head to look down at James Jr, who beamed a bright smile back at the Texas native. Mac just reached up to the brim of his cowboy hat and tilted it towards the innocent James Jr. He didn't care if you were a good guy on television or a bad guy, these people were his heroes and more so knowing that they knew his parents. Mac put a fist out to J2H as they approached, J2H, finding Mac one of the few tolerable people in the SCW locker room, bump his fist back.

Mac: Who's the little guy?

J2H: This is our son James Jr.

J2H and Mac teamed for a match before Mac went on to become World champion. They were probably never gonna invite each other over for a BBQ or anything like that, but they had a healthy amount of respect for each other.

Mac: Good to meet ya kid.

Just hearing those words sent James Jr in to a state of happiness.

Mac: We gotta get going, but catch ya on Sunday.

J2H nodded and the two groups went either way, not before Amber gave James Jr a wave, putting the widest smile on his face that he could possible have, his eyes trailing Amber as he walked in one direction and looked in the other. When Amber and Mac were out of sight, he turned his attention to the front. 

JJ: Oh my God

Melody and James looked down at James Jr, following his eyes towards where he was looking.

JJ: It's Mercedes Vargas! She's won everything like a million times and going in the Hall of Fame again. She's the best Bombshell there's ever been after Mommy.

Melody appreciated her son saying that but no one could argue with Mercedes SCW achievements, she had been a staple in the women's division for so long, embodying what it take to be an SCW star. Mercedes turned to see the young boy, before looking up to see who he was with. Seeing Melody and J2H, Mercedes nodded towards them before waving at the grinning young boy. He looked up at his parents proudly.

Melody: She knows who you are now.

That brought a wider smile to his face. Melody was right, she and her husband had been around Mercedes long enough for Mercedes to know the history on them, and it didn't take a million guesses to work out that their son was the one holding on to them for dear life, or so it felt. Mercedes turned away and the group walked on, continuing down the hallway to where the black curtain is to walk through and in to the arena. James Jr's quickly let go of his father's hand and pointed towards the person who just walked through.

JJ: It's Myra! Mommy! It's Myra!

Myra Rivers walked down the steps behind the curtain, smiling in the direction she heard her name.

Myra: Hey there!

JJ: Hi Myra!

His eyes were swooning as he looked at the woman he'd seen in epic wars on his TV screen, only to see her walking towards him.

Myra: What's your name?

JJ: James, but Mommy and Daddy call me JJ.

Myra smiled at the little blonde boy as she rustled his hair, causing him to slightly turn away, first time his shyness had shone through.

Myra: JJ, that's a cool name, I mean really cool. I like it.

Myra looked up at J2H, locking eyes with him. She was another who he had never really had a conversation with but he knew who she was and his legend in SCW was known by everyone who stepped in to that ring and beyond.

J2H: He's a big fan.

His tone was dry, but he knew his son was a Myra Rivers fan. Myra smiled at J2H before looking down at James Jr.

Myra: Well JJ, how about a picture?

His eyes darted towards Melody, as if to ask for permission but Melody already had her phone in her hand and nodded to him. He moved next to Myra, but Myra reaches down and picks him up, holding him to her side as he smiles uncontrollable. A few seconds later, James Jr had picture proof of a memory that would last forever.

Melody: Thank you.

Myra: You're welcome. I'll see you soon JJ.

He grinned at his new friend as she rustled his hair once more and walked away, heading deeper in to the building. J2H looked down at his swoony eyed mini me.

J2H: Ok JJ, this area we are in is called the gorilla position.

James Jr looked at his father with slight confusion on his face.

JJ: Why is it called that?

J2H was just about to answer him, when he looked up to see someone just entering the area, and looking around.

J2H: Because there's always a gorilla like that in here.

J2H pointed his thumb to where his eyes were looking and James Jr looked up, jumping on the spot.

JJ: CAAAAAAASEY!

It was indeed friend, former tag team partner and sometimes enemy, Casey Williams. Casey had known J2H for a long time, enough to be considered one of the family. He was loyal to a tee and always had time for J2H and his family.

It didn't take a few seconds before James Jr was changing in the direction of Casey as he stood next to Hitamashii. Casey saw him out of the corner of his eye, lifting him up in the air as he approached.

Casey: Little man! Where's the old people?

James Jr let out a tiny laugh, knowing was Casey meant as he pointed towards where J2H and Melody were watching on. Casey and Hitamashii walked towards them, Casey carrying James Jr as he held his arms around Casey's neck.

Casey: This little monster belong to you.

J2H scratched the side of his head as he looked at Melody curiously.

J2H: I don't know, is that our little monster?

Melody looked at J2H with a mock thinking face of her own.

Melody: I don't know, it don't look like our little monster.

James Jr turned his head around to look at Melody.

JJ: It's me Mommy!

Melody smiled at James Jr and nodded her head.

Melody: It is our little monster!

He reached out towards Melody, grabbing her around the shoulders, to give her enough time to hold on to him.

Casey: Have you seen it out there?

Casey pointed in the direction of the arena, causing J2H to glance at the black curtain and back to Casey with a shake of his head.

J2H: No, but we're about to head out there now and look.

J2H casted his eye to the left of Casey to see Kate Steele running towards J2H.

J2H: Come any closer you bi polar idiot, and I swear to everything good and holy I will get Casey and his strange looking silent friend here to stomp you in to the ground.

Kate stops in her tracks and looks towards J2H.

Kate: But....

J2H: Shut up!

His yell took everyone by surprise except James Jr, who was now seeing his father in full pelt wrestling mode. He loved watching his father cut promos on the screen, the way he spoke to people. He knew Daddy as well as J2H and smiled.

J2H: I swear to God, in front of all these people, you come within 50ft of us while we're here today, I will make sure you don't make it to Sunday.

Kate frowned towards him, but a smart ass look crossed her face.

Kate: How about dinner tonight then?

Kate's frown turned in to a smirk as he looked eye to eye with him. They didn't like each other, countless times J2H had shot down Kate being Melody's best friend as fictitious and all in her head.

J2H covered his sons ears as he looked at her with a cold stare.

J2H: How about fuck off?

The two exchanged a smirk and J2H looked towards Casey.

J2H: We're going out there, if that one hundred and twenty whatever pounds, bag of horse shit comes anywhere near that curtain, throw her through the wall. Tell you weird Silent Bob friend there he can do the same. I am not letting that crazy ruin the first time my son steps through that black curtain.

Casey nodded his head, casting a weary glance towards Kate as she watched on and J2H removed his hands from his sons ears. He quickly nodded his head towards Melody, who nodded back and the two, Melody holding her son in her arms as they reached the steps and walked up. Melody places James Jr down just behind the curtain.

Melody: Ready to see what Mommy and Daddy see when we come out the curtain? Without the fans of course.

James Jr was excited as he waited for his father to pull back the curtain, as he did, he and Melody quickly moved through and J2H breathed deep, following them through. The three looked around in amazement, SCW has spared no expense at all in this themed setting. J2H looked around the seating area, his mind racing forward to what it will be like for eighteen thousand plus people filling this famous around. The noise was always loud at SCW shows but this would take the roof off the place. He could barely register the people around him, the technical people, set builders, other wrestlers. His couldn't even feel his legs as he walked down the ramp towards the ring, he was in a world of his own as he looked around and smiled. This was it, the venue to end all venues. Only one thing snapped him out of his dream like state, the sound of his son's voice.

JJ: UNCLE AUSTIN!!!

Uncle Austin? There's only one person he calls that and he's shovelling horse shit right now, somewhere on a ranch in Georgia. Surely he was mistaken.

Austin: Hey buddy.

J2H looked up to see his son speeding towards Austin Parker sitting on the steel ring step, the man who taught J2H everything about the wrestling business. Not only the wrestling business, but how to be a responsible human being. J2H was shocked to see James Jr jumping at his mentor and embracing him. J2H couldn't believe his eyes as Austin hugged Melody. Austin looked at the approaching J2H with a warm smile.

Austin: Howdy.

J2H was still in shock as he looked at Austin.

Austin: Close yer mouth boy, yer let the flies in.

That was definitely Austin Parker, now standing in front of him but he couldn't believe.

J2H: What the fu.... hell are you doing here?

Austin smiled at the shock on J2H's face as he peered under the brim of his cowboy hat.

Austin: Well, ah was minding mah own, sitting on the ranch and then mah phone rang and it was Mark, he asked me ta get on over here for this show. He figured ah could calm some nerves if anyone was about ta mess their pants backstage in an arena like this.

J2H: Well you are old and such, at the age where ya don't care what ya say to people.

It was a nice return from J2H. When J2H first went to a reluctant Austin for training, a jibe like that would have earned him a quick pop to the lip.

Austin: Imma let that slide because ya boy and all.

JJ: Mommy, can we get in the ring?

His eyes were not even up to the ring apron yet but Melody nodded and Austin placed him on the ring apron and Melody popped up the steps and in to the ring, before helping her little man in to the ring.

JJ: Are you gonna get in the ring Daddy?

J2H slowly shook his head as he looked up at his boy, peering through the ropes.

J2H: Daddy's gonna have a quick chat with Uncle Austin first.

James Jr nodded and turned to Melody in the ring as James turned away, finding a gap in the barricades for he and Austin to walk through and sit in the front row.

J2H: If I knew you were coming....

Austin: Ya'd have baked a cake?

J2H: Very funny. No, I would have invited you over, but I'm glad you're here actually.

This got Austin's interest but he wouldn't be Austin without a poker face.

Austin: Lemme guess, you were gonna talk to me about retiring. Ah'm not stupid, ah watched ya promo, y'all thinking this is gonna be your last match.

Austin had him. It was a call he considered making to Austin a few times lately.

J2H: I'm facing a guy going in the Hall of Fame on Sunday, we're at the home of wrestling, what better way to go out? I won't say retirement because you know, but I could happily stop answering the phone when wrestling calls. How did you know when it was time to go?

Austin: Ah didn't numbnuts, ah retired because of injury. That was mah problem, ah didn't know when to slow down, when to pack up an' go live a life without gettin' up in the mornin' an' feelin' like ah just been hit by a train. If ya decide this is where it ends, ya probably a wiser man than ah am.

It took a few moments to sink in but J2H understood what Austin was saying. He wasn't saying stay, he wasn't saying go. He was saying be your own man and do what's good for you.

J2H: Well just in case I do say this is it for me, I would be honored if you come down to this ring with me. Just like the old days. SCW might as well get some extra use out of ya.

Austin looked around the arena, only needing a few seconds before nodding his head.

Austin: Ah hell, ah got nothing else to do.

With that, the two men sat back, taking in the view as the camera faded out.

Central Park was usually alive with people, locals and tourists trekking their way through as a scenic way to work, or to look at the beauty and settings for many things they've seen on television. Today, it was silent, eerily silent, no chatter, just the birds in the trees on this November morning. No sounds of laughs or camera clicks, just silent. The camera saw the beauty but only one other person did, the camera moving in on J2H as he sat on a bench.

J2H: You are right at home, this is Central Park, but you notice something different about it?

He smirked at the silence around him.

J2H: It's completely quiet, not a stupid annoying New Yorker, not a stupid annoying hot dog guy selling diseased meat, just me and the cameraman in one of the most famous parks in the world. You see SCW know my hate for this city and it's people, so someone in the office said let's send J2H out in to New York and cut a promo, send the biggest star out in public and cut a promo. Well, here and I am and there's no one around and you know why?

He couldn't help but feel happy inside.

J2H: Because I have the power to make things go my way, I have the influence to shut this mother fucking place down and oh I did just that. See, real power ain't about money, real power is about influence and look around, this is my influence, this is my power. How did I get this power? Because I worked for it, I worked for every ounce of it. Must be wondering what that has to do with anything. It's real simple. Hard work pays off and on Sunday, two of the hardest working people in wrestling clash in Madison Square Garden, two of the hardest working people in the world get in that ring and go for it.

It's what the world wanted to see and he knew it.

J2H: Now I admit, I could go and watch Kris Ryans talk about me and cut him down, disproving everything he wants to fucking say about me, but I'm better than that. I ain't watched his shit and I ain't gonna until Saturday night, because you don't get that power by being cheap and lazy, you get the power, you get the eyes on you by being you and that's what I am doing. I'm sure it was absolutely lovely Kris, I'm sure it was great, really I am, but that was last week and this is this week and I've switched focus. There's no more Mikah jokes, there's no more of that, I ain't even gonna take petty shots like if it wasn't for Fenris banging the son of a preacher man, we all know who's bed you'll really be in, but no. My focus now is adding to the power and influence I already have and I know this is big night for you. Hall of Fame to start, a match against me later on, I mean this must be the feature of all your wet dreams. It's recognition for being a hard worker, it's recognition for being one of the most elite wrestlers in the world. Topping it off with a dream match, a chance to show you can take my crown as the most SCW wrestler there has ever been. I can't let that happen.

J2H valued his reputation highly as the man people think of when it came to SCW.

J2H: Congratulations by the way, Hall of Fame induction in the home of wrestling. That's something a lot of us can't claim to have done, that's something only the rare few can say and your one of them. Take comfort in that at High Stakes, take a lot of comfort in that, because the rest of your night, is about to slide downhill very fast.

There was an air of seriousness about J2H today, not his usual, vicious, rip the flesh off the bone style, something focused and serious. Maybe Austin Parker's return had focused his mind on wrestling rather than the city.

J2H: You're going to be on a high, you're going to be flying looking out in to that crowd of eighteen thousand plus, hanging from rafters and it's gonna be an emotion high, but what goes up, must come down and things like that seem to come down hard Kris. I've hit the highs and I've hit the lows, but I've rode that high well for a long time, but this, within hours of being verified as one of the all time SCW greats, another SCW great, the greatest SCW great is going to drag you down to earth with the biggest crash you've ever had. I know you've had low moments in your life and you're about to relive them. It's not about hitting that floor Kris, it's about how you respond, but think of it like this. You are not the first to talk yourself in to a match with me, you may very well be my last but you're not the first and you won't be the last and I have beaten them down time and time again.

He loved proving people wrong.

J2H: Back when I won the World championship, I remember walking to the back and seeing Rage and Goth complaining that I should never have one, I got more shitty looks thrown at me than anything else. I had doubts that I can be a champion and let's just say someone who is in the sister fed instantly dropped me a message telling me he was close with Mark Ward and we could do something where I dropped the belt to him, all because he overheard me on the phone to Austin. Austin told me many things that night and you know what I did? I went out there and I smacked Goth around, I went out there and constantly smacked Rage around, I beat Drake Green in a Match of the Year, I beat Despayre in a Match of the Year, hell I beat Despayre all the fucking time. Lord Raab, absolutely destroyed him every chance I got. Casey Williams, defended that title against him too. Why am I mentioning all these people? They'll all in the Hall of Fame Kris, or about to be and I beat them to prove to the world I am the best.

He moved forward, putting his hands together and resting his elbow on his legs.

J2H: So Mr Hall of Fame 2021, what are you gonna do that's different from these guys?

He leaned back as if he was waiting for an answer.

J2H: I'll tell you Kris, you're going the same way as them. I've taken those Hall of Fame names and I've beaten every single one of them. Do you see where my focus lies now? It lies with adding your name to that list, it lies with adding more power to my name, more influence. You may have set the ball rolling a year ago Kris, but to me, this is where I stop the ball, this is where I am going to add another Hall of Fame name to my list. You see that Kris, is what it's all about I mean cause let's be honest, money is money, I got a shit ton of it and I'm sure you have a few stacks put away. This is just about taking each others name and a pissing contest. It's what it is, but I'm determined not to possibly go out as a loser and I got the ace up my sleeve back in my corner.

He was talking about Austin Parker.

J2H: No one kept me more focused at the job in hand than Austin Parker, and I've been around him for a day and I'm so much more focused, you can tell that from my tone Kris. I ain't coming here to lose my influence over the world, I ain't come to this rat invested sewer of a city, to leave it with people thinking I'm a loser. The words oh fuck no comes straight to mind Kris. I will be adding your name to the list of Hall of Famers I have beaten, fuck, if they dig up Jordan Williams and Nick Jones, I'll beat those too and they were arguably better than you are.

That was a debatable comment and he knew it but stirring the pot was his thing.

J2H: But I really hope you enjoy the rest of your night, the whole Hall of Fame shit, I hope you enjoy that huge crowd with their eyes on you, I hope you savour the moments of being in the ring with me and hell, I'll shake your hand when it's all said and done. I will step back and let these grimy, sweaty people congratulate you on a losing effort, I will let you have that spotlight once more where you can wave at the fans and decide your future, but it doesn't change the fact of a few things that is about to happen, spoiler alert and all that shit.

J2H smiled at the camera.

J2H: And what's gonna happen is we are gonna hear the loudest cheer of the night for the most anticipated match ever. We are going to have every single person in the building with their eyes locked on us. We're coming back through that curtain to the biggest round of applause any wrestlers have ever given and then I'm going home and I'm going home smiling for two reason.

J2H holds up two fingers to the camera.

J2H: One, because I'm leaving New York and two, because I've just added Kris Ryans to the list of Hall of Famers I've beaten.

J2H stood up and looked around the empty park, a smug smile on his face before looking at the camera.

J2H: That's real talk bitch!

And with that, the camera fades to black.
>